Why I think HoT failed

Why I think HoT failed

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

They can plan another xpac all they like. I wish them luck but they won’t get a sale from my household. I don’t even go into HoT maps.

Do you still play?

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

They can plan another xpac all they like. I wish them luck but they won’t get a sale from my household. I don’t even go into HoT maps.

Do you still play?

I’m spamming the Grind Fest finishing winter’s presence right now, then I’m taking a break. The game moved away from what I played it for.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Rachiia.6045

Rachiia.6045

The sales of HoT were not what they had projected:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3rrekn/kdb_daewoo_forecast_for_hot_sales_in_4q_15/

Success is measured in a lot of ways and we can’t really know how “successful” financially it is for NCSoft without knowing their internal costs. Based on this report, though, you can safely say it hasn’t met sales expectations.

(I’m surprised how much money Aion still brings in and how poorly Wildstar is doing.)

On a personal note, after playing consistently for three years, I’m barely playing GW2, anymore, not since HoT. It was a huge disappointment for me.

I would say one way HoT failed is by failing to provide content everyone could enjoy. It doesn’t offer enough for everyone in my opinion. You can argue it wasn’t suppose to, it was suppose to be endgame content, etc., but then you’re left with HoT not being a good product to convert a majority of the F2P.

I won’t rehash what others have said, except to say I was disappointed with the expansion and it killed WvW, which I liked a lot. So for me, and this is just my personal reaction, it’s a fail.

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The sales of HoT were not what they had projected:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3rrekn/kdb_daewoo_forecast_for_hot_sales_in_4q_15/

Success is measured in a lot of ways and we can’t really know how “successful” financially it is for NCSoft without knowing their internal costs. Based on this report, though, you can safely say it hasn’t met sales expectations.

(I’m surprised how much money Aion still brings in and how poorly Wildstar is doing.)

On a personal note, after playing consistently for three years, I’m barely playing GW2, anymore, not since HoT. It was a huge disappointment for me.

I would say one way HoT failed is by failing to provide content everyone could enjoy. It doesn’t offer enough for everyone in my opinion. You can argue it wasn’t suppose to, it was suppose to be endgame content, etc., but then you’re left with HoT not being a good product to convert a majority of the F2P.

I won’t rehash what others have said, except to say I was disappointed with the expansion and it killed WvW, which I liked a lot. So for me, and this is just my personal reaction, it’s a fail.

Did you see how old that Reddit thread is? Anet/NCSoft hasn’t released the official numbers yet. Also, where in that report was that information mentioned?

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

That report’s pretty old.
The most recent information available is that Arenanet is going to make another expansion.
That required the aproval from the higher ups and the suits wouldn’t aprove anything that didn’t meet their expectations of success.
We don’t know exactly how successful HoT was, but what we do know is that it definitely didn’t fail.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Though I agree with the video, HOT wasn’t a failure. It did things both good and bad. Even now, as I am becoming jaded (again), I believe GW2 will be around for as long as GW1 has.

To me, it could have been more, and in HOT, things were changed, added and improved upon – which is a good sign. I bought the expansion and got a fair share of 4 months of stuff to do from it, so that was worth it.

The one thing in the video that resonated most with me was the ending in which I (personally) felt, too. Just a lot of “little things” that kept hindering me from having further enjoyment. To each their own, though, as everyone gets enjoyment from something that others may not.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I do agree that HoT has a ton is issue, but that video the OP posted was painful to watch.

He ranted for over an hour and his thoughts were not exactly coherent. Which is shocking because he wrote a script, perhaps he should proofread in the future.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Give me some examples and I can talk about it. Saying what you’re saying now has about as much value as me saying it’s good.

From my personal perspective the writing in the Personal story was weaker than say most of the open world writing. The writing in Living Story Season 2 is a bit better, but the writing/delivery in HoT is probably the best it’s been. What I’ve seen is improvement in story telling.

Let’s not forget, for a whole lot of people the PS is unbearably slow.

SPOILER ALERT

A few examples of loopholes:
Caithe takes egg for no reason. Then we are told, that it was some sort of a new vyld hunt to protect the egg. And while protecting it she moves towards Mordremoth? Yeah, it lets plot advance, but other than that it doesn’t makes any sense.
Dragon’s weakness. At the last moment, PC somehow figures out what its weakness is. For some reason.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

Actually, Caithe has a wild hunt and the egg is her wylde hunt. Now, what we know from Wylde hunts is that before she has awakened she’s dreamt of something. We also know it’s not like a book or novel. Anyone who’s started a Sylvari knows what the dream of dreams is. It doesn’t give you complete pictures. It gives you tiny snippets.

So, we have a character who gets tiny snippets of dream. There’s nothing unlikely about her knowing that there’s a place the egg has to get to which is the jungle. At the same time, there’s nothing unlikely knowing that she’s missing information either, because that’s how the dream has worked. That part isn’t unreasonable, since we haven’t spoken to her about it. She knew the egg had to get to the jungle. She knew she had to see it there somehow. She didn’t know how it would work out. And if the egg is her wylde hunt we’re not even sure it’s done yet, since the egg itself is still there. There might be more coming with this.

The Rata Novus part about the dragon weakness was absolutely the weakest part of the story. That long side trip to Rata Novus only to find out every dragon have a weakness was very weak in and of itself. It was a terrible excuse for a big side trip that really yielded us nothing. I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess we haven’t seen the last of Rata Novus and there are things there Taimi will discover that will become useful in the future, but that was badly done in my opinion.

However, the figuring out we have to attack it’s mind isn’t really that hard to figure out. If the entire body of the jungle is the dragon and we can’t burn every try we have to attack it at its source. And we can’t get it’s body so we have to attack it’s mind. I’d have come to the same conclusion so I’m not sure why you think that’s some amazing leap of faith. We have to attack it at it’s core, because hacking off the body that can always regrow will do nothing.

Now I’m also not saying certain things couldn’t have been done better, but in my experience, that’s always the case with writing. I find stories I’ve loved that make perfect sense to me, and years later realize the opportunities I’ve missed.

One thing about writing that writers are told is to put something down, don’t think about it for months, leave it in a draw and come back to it. You can’t really do that with a game. That’s the problem.

For what it is supposed to be, driving the story forward, this is perfect acceptable with the single weak leak of the Rata Novus conclusion. And I still think that’s setting up something in the future.

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

I nearly did a spit-take in laughter when I saw they were planning another expansion.

Why I think HoT failed

Aidenwolf.5964

Don’t you just love how many people claim that their subjective opinions are objective and that the entire game should be completely changed because “a lot of people agree” these days?

That’s exactly what happened pre HoT the devs listened to one group and alienated the rest of the players. Whether or not they are panicking who can say but I did see gliding in core Tyria today which they said wouldn’t happen.

I once saw a man jump a shark.

Attachments:

PugLife SoloQ

(edited by Aidenwolf.5964)

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

apparently HOT is so successful they are planning to works towards next expansion in 2016:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/402r80/jan_8_guild_chat_livestream_notes/

General Notes
- Developer Matt Pennebaker have been working on lots of legendary precursor crafting bug fixes, some of which will go live next Tuesday.
- Colin: “I have seen some of the new legendaries, they are amazing”
- Blog post on skill balance next week, with Karl coming in the next Guild Chat on Friday to discuss them.
- Blog post on Jan 12 on 2016 Roadmap.

Development Balance
- In the previous years we did lots of biweeky/monthly updates. In 2015 our focus was on HoT with some updates. in 2016 we are trying to find a balance between frequent – game updates and working on the next expansion.
- We want to focus on all the game modes. We are working on polishing existing game modes instead of experimenting with new stuff.
- WvW overhaul has been in development for over a year now. There are lots of core things we still need to do including population balance etc. (LOL, call this bs)

Or, they need another one xause this one didnt make as much as they hoped.

Or they just want to change to an season pass type structure through.

I will say that i dont know if they can charge 50 bucks for hot level of content.

Maybe if they get it better

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

Don’t you just love how many people claim that their subjective opinions are objective and that the entire game should be completely changed because “a lot of people agree” these days?

Yeah because things that make no sense and just have bad design shouldn’t be changed.

The fractal change was totally thoughtless:

Why do players do fractals?
-> Because of the reward.
How do you get the reward?
-> By doing the daily fractal achievements.
Players take the fastest way to get the daily + Swamp and molten boss are the fastest fractals
-> Oh look, 95% of all fractal runs are swamp and molten boss! What a surprise!

PvP leauge rank “abusing” is a total joke and broken. I can’t see how anyone would say that’s objectivly good unless you want to support unfairness in the game.

There are just so many small and even big problems that just shouldn’t be there.

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I’m not sure it is a failure at all. HoT added a lot of things that are pretty decent.

#1: Harder enemies. I’ve been wanting that for awhile.
#2: Elaborate maps and more involved maps. Always a good thing.
#3: A metroid style of progression where you gain the ability to explore new areas.
#4: The elite specializations are awesome (if a bit power-creepy), and I like playing as most of them.
#5: A large series of collections and achievements for completionists.
#6: Some pretty cool looking skins.
#7: Events that are actually fun to do.

So, I like the xpac, and from what I’ve heard it has sold really well, so I wonder what your standard of failure is.

I would consider at least half of the HoT masteries to be failures.

It starts well enough in the gliding line but then we get low effort fillers like <whatever> language/proving/assistance. Look! You can now click on this other vendor tab. So exciting. You can also fight these champions once a day. The fights aren’t really different from anything else and the loot is mostly junk but it is there …

Fun events … I can think of two, the patriarch in VB and Mouth of Modremoth in DS.

Actually I consider this mastery point a success, not a failure. The idea was the give people masteries they needed, so they could gradually aquire the other ones without having to worry about grinding. Imagine the outcry if the last mastery in the line was gliding instead of the first.

There are reasons for certain design decisions. In my mind, this was well done.

Gliding as the last mastery would have been idiotic. That doesn’t justify having completely useless masteries. The issue isn’t a matter of where they are in the mastery line but the fact that those exist at all. They are useless fillers.

Why I think HoT failed

Vayne.8563

I’m not sure it is a failure at all. HoT added a lot of things that are pretty decent.

#1: Harder enemies. I’ve been wanting that for awhile.
#2: Elaborate maps and more involved maps. Always a good thing.
#3: A metroid style of progression where you gain the ability to explore new areas.
#4: The elite specializations are awesome (if a bit power-creepy), and I like playing as most of them.
#5: A large series of collections and achievements for completionists.
#6: Some pretty cool looking skins.
#7: Events that are actually fun to do.

So, I like the xpac, and from what I’ve heard it has sold really well, so I wonder what your standard of failure is.

I would consider at least half of the HoT masteries to be failures.

It starts well enough in the gliding line but then we get low effort fillers like <whatever> language/proving/assistance. Look! You can now click on this other vendor tab. So exciting. You can also fight these champions once a day. The fights aren’t really different from anything else and the loot is mostly junk but it is there …

Fun events … I can think of two, the patriarch in VB and Mouth of Modremoth in DS.

Actually I consider this mastery point a success, not a failure. The idea was the give people masteries they needed, so they could gradually aquire the other ones without having to worry about grinding. Imagine the outcry if the last mastery in the line was gliding instead of the first.

There are reasons for certain design decisions. In my mind, this was well done.

Gliding as the last mastery would have been idiotic. That doesn’t justify having completely useless masteries. The issue isn’t a matter of where they are in the mastery line but the fact that those exist at all. They are useless fillers.

Well they’re not useless, but they are gates. The design issue was to not make them must have, so that people who didn’t want to grind wouldn’t complain. They’re a success because you think they’re not essentially.

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

Well they’re not useless, but they are gates. The design issue was to not make them must have, so that people who didn’t want to grind wouldn’t complain. They’re a success because you think they’re not essentially.

Wow. So this is the new measure of success in GW2.

I’ve been playing since the head start. I can remember approaching level 80 on my first toon and thinking, “Man, I’m not sure I want to reach level 80.”

Meaning, I was having so much fun playing the game, that I didn’t want it to “end”.

Obviously, I did reach level 80 and went on to spend several thousand hours in WvW. But the point is, I was enjoying the content of the game so much that I didn’t want to finish it.

Now, however, success in GW2 is apparently measured by how well Anet implemented non must-have achievements that you may or may not want to finish depending on the level of grind which you can or cannot tolerate.

head > desk

Would’t it have just been easier to design content that people love to play? So much so that they might, perhaps, even start another toon just for the purpose of playing the content over again?

Or am I being too naive?

Why I think HoT failed

Vayne.8563

Wow. So this is the new measure of success in GW2.

I’ve been playing since the head start. I can remember approaching level 80 on my first toon and thinking, “Man, I’m not sure I want to reach level 80.”

Meaning, I was having so much fun playing the game, that I didn’t want it to “end”.

Obviously, I did reach level 80 and went on to spend several thousand hours in WvW. But the point is, I was enjoying the content of the game so much that I didn’t want to finish it.

Now, however, success in GW2 is apparently measured by how well Anet implemented non must-have achievements that you may or may not want to finish depending on the level of grind which you can or cannot tolerate.

head > desk

Would’t it have just been easier to design content that people love to play? So much so that they might, perhaps, even start another toon just for the purpose of playing the content over again?

Or am I being too naive?

Actually your experiences are perfectly valid, but they’re yours. Of course, different people have different experiences.

I never once found the HoT masteries grindy (where as I did find some of the old world masteries a bit grindy), but the HoT ones I haven’t. But there are people who do find them grindy. So yes, the game is designed for lots of people, and has to take lots of people into account.

There are plenty of people who have said right here on this forum that they find leveling boring. There are other people who love the leveling and level characters over and over. And there are people who find WvW boring.

The success of Guild Wars 2 is measured by how many people are enjoying it and how much money it generates.

I’m guessing it’s still relatively successful. I surely haven’t seen evidence to the contrary yet.

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Shampanix.3928

Shampanix.3928

One thing I took from that video is the statement that said something like this:

HoT has a lot of small frustrating things. But there are so many that they very often strip enjoyment from the game.

- yea, that’s actually summing up my experience. And there’s the “failure” of HoT in my opinion.

Don’t get me wrong. I still play. I’ve found a way to enjoy the game. But well… when all of game modes have annoying problems and you need to look hard to find at least one thing to enjoy to spend your free time in game? It shouldn’t be like that.

And from this point? I do hope Anet will learn from our feedback to bring:
1. Good fixes to current stuff to make it at least bearable across the table – pve, pvp, wvw
2. Take a lesson for the future and avoid making the same mistakes in next expansion. Obviously they will make other mistakes but at least don’t repeat old ones please.

And such posts, discussions etc – it shows players still care about this game. It’s good but won’t last forever.

(edited by Shampanix.3928)

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: markot.3946

markot.3946

To me the xpac was a pretty big failure.

I havent logged in in like a month, and dont plan on doing so anytime soon.

I guess I keep hoping Anet will acknowledge the problems with the game, or at least give some hint of what they have planned.

As it is though, sadly the game just isnt any fun anymore.

I played Wow before this, up to cataclysm, even with wow it was always a slow ‘this isnt as fun anymore’ sort of experience. Hot is the first expansion that has killed a game completely for me.

I went from playing an hour or so every day, to not at all. I gave away a few hundred gold too the last time I logged in when I realised I probably wasnt coming back.

Its all in vain though, they wont change track, just like wow. Wow did its best to force people into raiding, I am guessing it wont be long before Anet does that. All those raiding ‘whales’ they want to tap into.

Ill miss the community and the combat system and the Asura, but oh well.

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Hot failed? Funny, this is the first time i hear about it.

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

“They can plan another xpac all they like. I wish them luck but they won’t get a sale from my household. I don’t even go into HoT maps.”

So if the xpac turns out to be right down your street your not going to buy it? over dramatic nonsense.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

“They can plan another xpac all they like. I wish them luck but they won’t get a sale from my household. I don’t even go into HoT maps.”

So if the xpac turns out to be right down your street your not going to buy it? over dramatic nonsense.

Consumer power, he has every right to withhold from this purchase, unfortunately enough people will throw that power away and preorder it day 1 as usual.

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

I’m getting the feeling your not the only one having this feeling. The hype was to grand before launch & the delivery to disappointing to have any future credibility.

Peeps would have to be way dumb to believe anything that comes out of Anets mouth for now on. I know i’ve learn my lesson. Anet is gonna have to thread hardcore to get my trust back.

Why I think HoT failed

Raziel.4216

Consumer power, he has every right to withhold from this purchase, unfortunately enough people will throw that power away and preorder it day 1 as usual.

Maybe they like what they see, they have every power to make the purchase.
Unfortunately for the ones who continue to claim it failed.

Why I think HoT failed

Raziel.4216

I’m getting the feeling your not the only one having this feeling. The hype was to grand before launch & the delivery to disappointing to have any future credibility.

Source?
I get the feeling a lot of people enjoy it, so many that Anet considers it enough of a success to green light another expansion.
Which bellyfeelings are right? Waiting on that source.

Peeps would have to be way dumb to believe anything that comes out of Anets mouth for now on. I know i’ve learn my lesson. Anet is gonna have to thread hardcore to get my trust back.

Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, other people like different things? and, omg I know this must be suprising but bear with me for a second, they…. might… like… the… game?
Mindblown right?

Why I think HoT failed

Vieux P.1238

[/quote]Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, other people like different things? and, omg I know this must be suprising but bear with me for a second, they…. might… like… the… game?
Mindblown right?[/quote]

Are you serious? are you reading the same forum as we are?
We all love this game. That’s what makes it so difficult. It’s a great game overall. But it has some major issues that only the very hardcore loyal base is willing to overlook. I’m hardcore myself, but got my limits. & i aint the only one.

Is your mind blown yet?

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Manthas.6234

Manthas.6234

SPOILERS AHEAD!

Actually, Caithe has a wild hunt and the egg is her wylde hunt. Now, what we know from Wylde hunts is that before she has awakened she’s dreamt of something. We also know it’s not like a book or novel. Anyone who’s started a Sylvari knows what the dream of dreams is. It doesn’t give you complete pictures. It gives you tiny snippets.

So, we have a character who gets tiny snippets of dream. There’s nothing unlikely about her knowing that there’s a place the egg has to get to which is the jungle. At the same time, there’s nothing unlikely knowing that she’s missing information either, because that’s how the dream has worked. That part isn’t unreasonable, since we haven’t spoken to her about it. She knew the egg had to get to the jungle. She knew she had to see it there somehow. She didn’t know how it would work out. And if the egg is her wylde hunt we’re not even sure it’s done yet, since the egg itself is still there. There might be more coming with this.

The Rata Novus part about the dragon weakness was absolutely the weakest part of the story. That long side trip to Rata Novus only to find out every dragon have a weakness was very weak in and of itself. It was a terrible excuse for a big side trip that really yielded us nothing. I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess we haven’t seen the last of Rata Novus and there are things there Taimi will discover that will become useful in the future, but that was badly done in my opinion.

However, the figuring out we have to attack it’s mind isn’t really that hard to figure out. If the entire body of the jungle is the dragon and we can’t burn every try we have to attack it at its source. And we can’t get it’s body so we have to attack it’s mind. I’d have come to the same conclusion so I’m not sure why you think that’s some amazing leap of faith. We have to attack it at it’s core, because hacking off the body that can always regrow will do nothing.

Now I’m also not saying certain things couldn’t have been done better, but in my experience, that’s always the case with writing. I find stories I’ve loved that make perfect sense to me, and years later realize the opportunities I’ve missed.

One thing about writing that writers are told is to put something down, don’t think about it for months, leave it in a draw and come back to it. You can’t really do that with a game. That’s the problem.

For what it is supposed to be, driving the story forward, this is perfect acceptable with the single weak leak of the Rata Novus conclusion. And I still think that’s setting up something in the future.

Your efforts to justify those loopholes are really cute.

S-P-O-I-L-E-R-S

Yes, we don’t know why Caithe took egg deep into the jungle, yes, we didn’t ask her. Now, that the Mordy is defeated, there’s no reason not to know this. And yet, expansion doesn’t explain anything. We have characters near us, but they do not explain anything (“later, cub”).

I could agree that dragon’s weakness is not that hard to figure out. But that was just a guess. At the end of the story. Basically we went into the fire without a plan, guessed the solution at end and the tools to carry out this solution was just right here. How convenient. And that tool was just another loophole. Trahearne’s power to get us into dragon’s mind? How does that work? Don’t answer, we don’t know yet, but there must be some reasons, right? Which developers didn’t bother to give us. Again.

In conclusion, a lot of the things we do doesn’t have a reason, but somehow those actions conveniently helps us defeat the dragon.

Good writing.

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

I bought my copy of HoT 2 days before it went online. I was thinking hard about if I should purchase, I really did. I would not say that I was cheated, but that I bought a game with the vague hope of a good story and an engaging open world, both things I count as barely qualified and nothing to look forward to if it continues this way.

I enter HoT because I want to have all the recipes there, not because I find it majorly interesting or engaging. Again, partly Anet did their job. I move within the expansion, but I am not exactly happy with it.

I majorly bought it because the said that Fractals would get a huge, quality grade update. Again, partly true. It was upgraded, but it´s not a high quality upgrade.

I also bought it because I thought wvw would be even better. That definitely did not happen, I am still rank 95X since basically months and don´t even want to enter wvw most of the time.

So speaking of today, i am pretty sad about the state of HoT. I have bought it, but if the next expansion is the same super mario like drivel of a map as for example VB, I am not sure that I will be able to buy it then. And that is a feeling many people probably share with me.

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Teknox.4301

Teknox.4301

Kinda seems like anet is messing around and really being on the edge of the issues rather than getting in there and fixing problems.

Why I think HoT failed

Raziel.4216

Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, other people like different things? and, omg I know this must be suprising but bear with me for a second, they…. might… like… the… game?
Mindblown right?

We all love this game. That’s what makes it so difficult. It’s a great game overall. But it has some major issues that only the very hardcore loyal base is willing to overlook. I’m hardcore myself, but got my limits. & i aint the only one.

Is your mind blown yet?

Never claimed the game is perfect, so, just like you said, are we reading the same forum?
I said other people enjoy different things, and enough people enjoy it for Anet to consider it successful enough to greenlight an expansion. The fact that you dislike some aspects of the game, maybe all of it, doesn’t mean that everyone else does too.
“has some major issues that only the very hardcore loyal base is willing to overlook” is a pretty bold claim, got a source for that? Where did most of the non-hardcore (out of at least 7m accounts since f2p) make it crystal clear that they’re not willing to overlook these major issues?
You shoot yourself in the foot when you try to support your position with “majority’s on my side!” kind of arguments when there’s no evidence to support it. No, that 3k+ posts forum topic is not representative of 7m+ people.

Why I think HoT failed

Vieux P.1238

Mindblown right?

Is your mind blown yet?

Never claimed the game is perfect, so, just like you said, are we reading the same forum?
I said other people enjoy different things, and enough people enjoy it for Anet to consider it successful enough to greenlight an expansion. The fact that you dislike some aspects of the game, maybe all of it, doesn’t mean that everyone else does too.
“has some major issues that only the very hardcore loyal base is willing to overlook” is a pretty bold claim, got a source for that? Where did most of the non-hardcore (out of at least 7m accounts since f2p) make it crystal clear that they’re not willing to overlook these major issues?
You shoot yourself in the foot when you try to support your position with “majority’s on my side!” kind of arguments when there’s no evidence to support it. No, that 3k+ posts forum topic is not representative of 7m+ people.

What you imply is bold as well. I can ask you the same, wheres your source?
As for me, my source is all over the forum.. Wheres yours?

ps: My foot is well where it stands.. On the ground..

Why I think HoT failed

Raziel.4216

Mindblown right?

Is your mind blown yet?

What did I claim?
That the game’s successful enough for Anet to greenlight an expansion? read yesterday’s guild chat’s notes.
“Over the forums” is not a source. Notice how I didn’t direct you to all of reddit? or the entire internet? nop, I directed you to a very specific source, here http://dulfy.net/2016/01/08/gw2-jan-8-guild-chat-livestream-notes/

Looking foward to your source, expecting the same specificity.

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

That’s exactly what happened pre HoT the devs listened to one group and alienated the rest of the players. Whether or not they are panicking who can say but I did see gliding in core Tyria today which they said wouldn’t happen.

I once saw a man jump a shark.

Why would you go water skiing with a leather jacket?

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Mindblown right?

Is your mind blown yet?

Too few use the forums to use it as a sole source of whether a game is successful or not. It can be used to gather possible reasons for success or failure, but can’t be used as a measure of success or failure.

I’d tell someone who said the game was a success if the forum posts were just layering praise upon praise onto the game that they can’t claim the game is a success based on forum posts alone.

Why I think HoT failed

Vieux P.1238

Raziel.4216. I’m not even gonna try! *rolling my eyes

Why I think HoT failed

Raziel.4216

As expected.

Like I said, you shoot yourself in the foot when you use “majority’s on my side!” kind of arguments, it’s way too ez to call’em out.

Why I think HoT failed

Vieux P.1238

*cricket sounds………………………………………………………aha!

Why I think HoT failed

Raziel.4216

Very mature.
Can’t say I’m suprised.

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Mindblown right?

Is your mind blown yet?

What did I claim?
That the game’s successful enough for Anet to greenlight an expansion? read yesterday’s guild chat’s notes.
“Over the forums” is not a source. Notice how I didn’t direct you to all of reddit? or the entire internet? nop, I directed you to a very specific source, here http://dulfy.net/2016/01/08/gw2-jan-8-guild-chat-livestream-notes/

You asked for his source when he claimed that the person he quoted was not the only one who felt that way about the expansion. Pointing out that there are similar posts all over the forums is pretty solid support for his assertion that there is at least one other person that has a sinilar view.

Why I think HoT failed

Raziel.4216

Mindblown right?

Is your mind blown yet?

What did I claim?

You asked for his source when he claimed that the person he quoted was not the only one who felt that way about the expansion. Pointing out that there are similar posts all over the forums is pretty solid support for his assertion that there is at least one other person that has a sinilar view.

Source was requested for the following claim:
But it has some major issues that only the very hardcore loyal base is willing to overlook

Notice: " only the very hardcore loyal base is willing to overlook"

That means most of the non-hardcore players have a problem with these major issues.
Forum is not a valid source for that.

Why I think HoT failed

Ashen.2907

Source?
I get the feeling a lot of people enjoy it, so many that Anet considers it enough of a success to green light another expansion.
Which bellyfeelings are right? Waiting on that source.

Again, you asked for his source when he claimed that there was at least one person with similar feelings.

Why I think HoT failed

Raziel.4216

Again, you asked for his source when he claimed that there was at least one person with similar feelings.

Again

His reply to this post was that his source is all over the forums.
Once again, just in case that wasn’t clear enough:
“has some major issues that only the very hardcore loyal base is willing to overlook”

Why I think HoT failed

Ashen.2907

Again

“has some major issues that only the very hardcore loyal base is willing to overlook”

Ignoring requests for a source made by someone who contests a claim that at least two people are disatisfied with the expansion seems reasonable to me.

I tend to believe that reaction on these forums in not sufficient to support a claim, one way or the other, about the opinion of the majority regarding HoT. But once a person asks for an unreasonable proof, such as for the assertion that there is more than one person who is unhappy with the expansion (not a majority, not many, not even a few, just at leasr two), then it is reasonable to ignore their requests.

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Maybe they like what they see, they have every power to make the purchase.
Unfortunately for the ones who continue to claim it failed.

Given that it’s digital, they’re not running out of copies any time soon. They can buy it on release, that way everyone can be fully informed about the game. The upside to waiting far outweighs the risk of preordering on a few flashy cutscenes and buzzwords.

Wouldn’t have so many people outraged Day 1 like we did if they’d had waited.

Why I think HoT failed

Raziel.4216

Again

Ignoring requests for a source made by someone who contests a claim that at least two people are disatisfied with the expansion seems reasonable to me.

I tend to believe that reaction on these forums in not sufficient to support a claim, one way or the other, about the opinion of the majority regarding HoT. But once a person asks for an unreasonable proof, such as for the assertion that there is more than one person who is unhappy with the expansion (not a majority, not many, not even a few, just at leasr two), then it is reasonable to ignore their requests.

That claims involves most of the playerbase, not just 1 other player. I know he has no proof.
His claim is unreasonale, that’s why the source requested is just as unreasonable.

Why I think HoT failed

Aidenwolf.5964

Quote me correctly and I’ll respond faster. Nothing dramatic in there at all, I haven’t set foot in a HoT map since mid December and that was only raids which I’ve stopped doing. I’ll do what I want with my time and money. Don’t like it? Don’t care.

PugLife SoloQ

(edited by Aidenwolf.5964)

Why I think HoT failed

Ashen.2907

Again

That claims involves most of the playerbase, not just 1 other player. I know he has no proof.
His claim is unreasonale, that’s why the source requested is just as unreasonable.

You asked for a source whe he said, “…you’re not the only one…”

“Not the only one,” does not involve, “most,” of anything. It involves more than one.

It is not unreasonable to claim that there is more than one person out of millions who is unhappy with the expansion.

Of course he has proof that there are at least two people who are unhappy with HoT. More than that many have said so, including in this very thread.

Why I think HoT failed

Raziel.4216

Again

You asked for a source whe he said, “…you’re not the only one…”

“Not the only one,” does not involve, “most,” of anything. It involves more than one.

It is not unreasonable to claim that there is more than one person out of millions who is unhappy with the expansion.

Of course he has proof that there are at least two people who are unhappy with HoT. More than that many have said so, including in this very thread.

It is unreasonable to claim all but a few hardcore players have major issues with the game.

I told you what claim I am referring to.
With quotes, I even repeated it at the end of the post just in case.
Three times now?
I don’t know what else to say, you see what you like to see.

(edited by Raziel.4216)

Why I think HoT failed

Vayne.8563

SPOILERS AHEAD!

Your efforts to justify those loopholes are really cute.

S-P-O-I-L-E-R-S

Yes, we don’t know why Caithe took egg deep into the jungle, yes, we didn’t ask her. Now, that the Mordy is defeated, there’s no reason not to know this. And yet, expansion doesn’t explain anything. We have characters near us, but they do not explain anything (“later, cub”).

I could agree that dragon’s weakness is not that hard to figure out. But that was just a guess. At the end of the story. Basically we went into the fire without a plan, guessed the solution at end and the tools to carry out this solution was just right here. How convenient. And that tool was just another loophole. Trahearne’s power to get us into dragon’s mind? How does that work? Don’t answer, we don’t know yet, but there must be some reasons, right? Which developers didn’t bother to give us. Again.

In conclusion, a lot of the things we do doesn’t have a reason, but somehow those actions conveniently helps us defeat the dragon.

Good writing.

The expansion doesn’t explain it, because everything doesn’t need to be explained. Maybe you haven’t read a lot of books recently but there are many things in books that happen today that aren’t explained. Hell, short fiction today doesn’t have ending half the time anymore, at least in the traditional sense of the word.

People have always complained about this game because not everything was given to them on a silver platter. But this I have to know it now, as if the story is over and Caithe is dead is just impatience. Caithe can come back into the story and explain herself or she may not. But everything really doesn’t have to be explained. That’s just not how it works.

Also patronizing me by calling my comments cute really doesn’t make your arguments any stronger.

As for the Trahearne thing, well, no we went in trying to rescue Trahearne and talking to him came upon the solution of how we might attack something you can’t attack phyiscally.

It’s really only an issue if you’re looking for issues and let me tell you, if you want to find issues you can find them with any story or book. The problem isn’t the things you’re mentioning.

You liked the length and depth of the original story. The new story is different because it’s faster and doesn’t go into the same level of moment to moment detail and you don’t like the change.

Neither the point about Caithe or the point about figuring out how to beat the dragon is bad writing.

A lot of people complained the personal story was too long or the personal story was too boring so Anet stream-lined it, mostly like as a reaction to complaints.

The same thing happened in Guild Wars 1. People complained Prophecies was too long and too slow, so Anet made Factions. The story was fast, the game was half the size, it could be finished much faster and you leveled far too fast. Why? Because they were reacting to people’s complaints. Anet has a tendency to over-react, and that’s why the story is the length it is. Within a shorter story, particularly one that’s continuing, you don’t to explain everything at the moment.

Would it be interesting to hear Caithe’s story. Sure it would. Is it required to hear Caithe’s story. No. Because she’s a character that drives the action forward and she served her purpose in the story.

Again, in a novel where you have hundreds of pages, you put everything. In shorter stories, you often leave people to figure stuff out. It’s not bad writing and it’s not uncommon.

As for the later cub comment, there’s nothing really to explain. We know what the revenant is, and the story of Rytlock and what happened to him is not the story of HoT. These side passages don’t get explored in shorter stories for a reason. Then they become longer stories, which some people complain about.

A lot of people who love story complained that the expansion was too fast and didn’t give enough detail. A lot of people who don’t like story complained the original story was too long.

And because a game isn’t a book, Anet has to balance it out between people who don’t want a longer story and people who do. There will always be a percentage of people dissatisfied with the balance.

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

ok….this is from my perspective.

Pre-purchased HoT for 45€(was so hyped). First they refused to give us veterans 1 free slot. Then they promised a lot of things and we got a mess. All I got is grinding and a cash shop. Don’t get me wrong but GW2 was really a great game and worth buying, HoT is not. Pvp is a mess, wvw is empty…They nerfed dungeons (dunno why..they were fun and rewarding, now they are dead), buffed fractals (I don’t see that as a buff cause ppl are playing only 2 fractals – 2x swamp and daily and rewards are crappy as usual), I haven’t touched the raids cause DH is not good for it, nor my Scrappie without viper gear, they nerfed proof of heroics cause ppl would grind 16h to finish it(and actually play with their elite spec) and now they can’t do it cause with this nerf proof of heroic is soulbound and tower bosses(or any kind of boss) only drop 1 wvw mark + 1 mark from every 10th player you kill (you need 10 proof and 50 marks-1 random hero challenge) so they made HoT GATED and VIRTUALLY LONGER

I feel sorry for those 2 elite spec(you know which) that got kittened and for ppl who main them.

I think those 4 maps are beautiful but everything else has failed.

They promised constant updates, but only I see cash shop updates.

I am sorry but this expansion is not worth 45€ for veterans, maybe for newcomers yes but not for me. I think I am not the only one thinking this.

And they are planning new expansion while they haven’t even released promised stuff?
I hope you don’t go way of Wildstar…

Why I think HoT failed

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

I think HOT turned out ok, the biggest negative was that it was overpriced for what it was. The character slot fiasco was a PR disaster brought about by being too greedy, and that blunder will probably end up costing Anet many times more than the miniscule extra $ they would have made through char slot purchases and has likely tarnished the Anet & GW2 brand for a long time to come.

I still question the wisdom & sincerity of any game company that thinks not including a character slot for all in an expac that introduces a new class is a good idea for the brand.

The best thing about the expac was gliding, by a decent margin, and if i were them i’d be rolling that out everywhere else in the world.

The other thing is that the elite specs in many cases are have made the old weapons and traits obsolete, essentially making them mandatory. Rev for instance is pretty hard to play without Herald because it’s the main source of sustain for the class.

Mobs and maps being harder was a definite improvement, though i don’t care for the strongly orchestrated, themepark design of the HOT maps. Designing for more of a player-driven, emergent gameplay experience makes for much better long-term replayability, something GW2 is fairly lacking in IMHO.

downed state is bad for PVP