[Spoilers] ArenaNet "confirms" the fan theories about Elder Dragons?

in Lore

Posted by: Elunarie.9283

Elunarie.9283

I think it is possible, following this theory, that the Pale Tree is not an Elder Dragon but a dragon champion. She wields some of the power of the final dragon, just as Glint did for Kralkatorrik. As we know, she was born from the seed planted by Ronan and Ventari, which again points to her being a piece of the dragon’s magic, and not the dragon itself.

// Bathea Havocbringer \\

in Lore

Posted by: Illushia.3721

Illushia.3721

I think it is possible, following this theory, that the Pale Tree is not an Elder Dragon but a dragon champion. She wields some of the power of the final dragon, just as Glint did for Kralkatorrik. As we know, she was born from the seed planted by Ronan and Ventari, which again points to her being a piece of the dragon’s magic, and not the dragon itself.

Or she could just be a seed that was planted and grew into a tree.

Sure, a magical, talking tree. But a tree nonetheless.

The Treesong Calling. Tarnished Coast RP.
http://treesongcalling.com/

in Lore

Posted by: bluejay.6739

bluejay.6739

Having one of a group of similar beings be good when the rest are evil is a VERY common lore technique in fantasy fiction (heck even in Mythology you find examples of this, like the myths of Prometheus).

— MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW —

Another example of some possible foreshadowing in the game that the Pale Tree is related to the Elder dragons… In one of the Order of Whispers missions, the Pale Tree warns of the attack on the Order’s home base, and one of the questions you character can ask is ‘How did the Pale Tree know of Zhaitan’s plan to attack the base?"

in Lore

Posted by: bluejay.6739

bluejay.6739

— TONS OF SPOILERS BELOW —

If, by some chance the writers of GW2 lost all their senses and made the Pale Tree in any way related to a dragon, then they’re going to have to explain that whole “there is another Pale Tree out there somewhere creating Sylvari that lack a dream” thing that comes up in one branch of the Sylvari personal story. The cave that the Pale Tree seed was found it was full of seeds.

I have a problem with this too. I have seen lots of foreshadowing, some I mentioned in an earlier post, that the Pale Tree is related to the dragons more so than just wanting to end their threat, but Malyk is going to be a problem for this lore element.

The entire Malyk plot line has more holes than Swiss cheese and I wouldn’t be surprised if parts of it just don’t fit into the lore at all. As I posted in an old thread…

“Why is Malyk humanoid? I get that the Sylvari are human because the Tree absorbed the remnants of Rowan’s slaughtered people, and that Ventari and Rowan unknowingly ‘guided’ the tree in its formation, but Malyk is from an entirely different, unrelated tree. Was that tree ALSO planted on a pile of dead people and guided into existence by a human and centaur philosopher? "

in Lore

Illushia.3721

Or it could be that the Sylvari are Humanoid anyway, follow a set of tenets much like Ventari’s tablet baseline, and the tree wasn’t really affected by either of these things.

Saying “Something doesn’t fit into the lore” when it was created, written, and programmed by the people who wrote the lore is ludicrous.

in Lore

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

We have no proven reason as to why the sylvari are humanoid. It could be thats just there natural form. It could be that the Pale Tree is somehow linked to the Druids who, before coming nature spirits, were all human. Alternatively they could be linked to the Wardens who were humanoid as well.

Alternatively, the Pale Tree and its ‘sisters’ could just replicate creatures that already exist in the world. After all fern hounds come from the Pale Tree as well and we dont know of any mass graves of dogs buried under the Pale Tree. Infact Im not sure if there are any dogs native to the area at all.

Malyk fits into lore fine because we dont know much about the Pale Tree and its origins.

in Lore

Illushia.3721

I mean Humanoid in shape.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

When I said I liked Hero’s version of the story its just that, a VERSION. I know that Anet did not intend the Pale Tree or Sylvari to be made out like that, what I was saying was that I think it was a really cool IDEA if they went that route.

Problem is too many people get too deep into the lore of a game/book/tv series and they will get very upset or offended if the creators change it too much beyond what they already like of the lore.

So ya, I seriously doubt Anet has done it that way or will, just thought it was a cool concept.

That’s nice, I was never referring to you so you don’t need to get upset over my post. Also, Anet’s already changed a lot in the lore from its original direction (one of the bigger ones being the Forgotten and Glint).

Not to interrupt our sensationalist thread titles and conspiracy theories, but I hear a lot of talk about how sylvari can’t be corrupted. Is this ever mentioned or explained in-game? If so, by who? I never ran into it.

While we’re at it, I want to point out that there’s a sylvari in Orr that becomes one of the Risen during an event in the Arah chain, complete with a line of dialogue and everything. It’s this guy: http://i.imgur.com/nCUle.jpg

I don’t have a picture of him as a Risen character (and part of me suspects the work of bugs given a typo in the new mob’s name), but I can try and get one.

Was an interview a while back. It was to explain why we don’t see branded/icebrood/risen sylvari. Ever.

I didn’t see that sylvari turn into a risen, and if he did, then it’s a bug or type of some sort.

;bluejay.6739

Another example of some possible foreshadowing in the game that the Pale Tree is related to the Elder dragons… In one of the Order of Whispers missions, the Pale Tree warns of the attack on the Order’s home base, and one of the questions you character can ask is ‘How did the Pale Tree know of Zhaitan’s plan to attack the base?"

That’s because the Pale Tree has access to the Dream of Dreams – in that very same mission you’re shown that the Dream of Dreams can see the “current” future (that is the future that’s set to occur now, though it can still change). In that current future, the bases get attacked. So she sends you to defend them.

Even if that wasn’t the case, I don’t see how that supports her being related to the Elder Dragons. If she was, she’d be part of the mysterious sixth and it was stated in an interview with Jeff and Ree that the ED are enemies. So it’s not like she’d obtain the information from Zhaitan. If the above wasn’t the case, then a sylvari probably learned of the attack – thus sending the information to the DoD thus to the Pale Tree.

;bluejay.6739

The entire Malyk plot line has more holes than Swiss cheese and I wouldn’t be surprised if parts of it just don’t fit into the lore at all. As I posted in an old thread…

“Why is Malyk humanoid? I get that the Sylvari are human because the Tree absorbed the remnants of Rowan’s slaughtered people, and that Ventari and Rowan unknowingly ‘guided’ the tree in its formation, but Malyk is from an entirely different, unrelated tree. Was that tree ALSO planted on a pile of dead people and guided into existence by a human and centaur philosopher? "

That explanation is solely and purely theoretical – both by players and in game. Why sylvari – any sylvari – are humanoid is unknown.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Exumerr.3829

Exumerr.3829

HERO are those all just your ideas about the story of the pale tree in GW2 or are you basing it on some other source? I’ve never seen anything from ANET that would suggest this version of events. I don’t believe that the pale tree is a dragon. It could be that the pale tree is like Glint….one who has turned against her master. Then it would make sense that she’s creating sylvari to help defeat the dragons including her own master.

This actually would make sense since Anet did say we would learn how Glint managed to be rid of her master’s control, in GW2.

Isle of Janthir
Kev McGev – Ranger PvE // Gladiator McGev – War PvE / WvW / PvP
Kuunavang Rising [KuRi] // Assured Mutual Destruction [ICBM]

in Lore

Posted by: Exumerr.3829

Exumerr.3829

Well the Seed was a magical seed. I don’t quite remember how the story goes, whether it was Ronan or Ventari, but they found a magical Seed in Elona from a mysterious place. That might give us a lead to what the Pale Tree really is

Isle of Janthir
Kev McGev – Ranger PvE // Gladiator McGev – War PvE / WvW / PvP
Kuunavang Rising [KuRi] // Assured Mutual Destruction [ICBM]

in Lore

Illushia.3721

I know, I was just being silly. They both found it together iirc.

I just don’t know why it’s so hard to accept that some things are magical or mysterious, and instead want to turn them into a ‘converted’ or side-swapped enemy.

in Lore

Posted by: Nihilus.3015

Nihilus.3015

If you read the hexagon in clockwise order, it would be. Zhaitan, Primordus, Unknown Green Dragon, Jormag, Kralkatorrik, Deep Sea Dragon. Maybe its the order we take them out in. Also, I noticed in most room there’s an item to pick up. Kralkatorrik’s room there’s a Crystal Shard. Zhaitan’s there’s a undead arm. In the Deep Sea Dragon’s room I found a Inquest Golem Arm, That is pretty intriguing.

AmateurNet

in Lore

Posted by: Quatre.6085

Quatre.6085

I just see no merit in continuing this discussion unless we get something that actually points at them being Dragon-related.

Then don’t continue the discussion. Nobody is forcing you to come post here, and by the replies obviously there are people who enjoy the discussion. If you don’t like it, move on and find something you do like.

in Lore

Illushia.3721

And leave people free to turn the Pale Tree into some dragon-lieutenant gone goodguy?

No thanks!

in Lore

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Sylvari are absolutely immune to corruption by the Dragons. Where other races can be weakened and corrupted, Sylvari simply die.

In support of Illushia:

I think the assertion that the pale tree is a dragon makes no sense at all in the context of the story. It’s an interesting theory to think about, but easily discount-able when you look at the very nature of the dragons in comparison to the tree(s) and Sylvari. The tree GIVES life and there are confirmed more than one of them. The dragons take or destroy life, there are definitely more than one of them.

I think a better theory, especially given that the Sylvari’s primary goal in existence is to destroy the dragons, is that in nature and magic’s attempt to balance the world, the Pale tree(s) and Sylvari were created as an opposing force to the existence of the dragons, evil, et al. They represent completely polar opposite concepts.

Even if nature and magic had no “intent” in the matter, the Trees and Sylvari still represent a completely opposing force. The fight to kill Zhaitan is even led BY A SYLVARI. That seems a little…self defeating, if the Sylvari were actually meant to represent a dragon.

I can see how the story could weave them even into having a common origin, but that certainly doesn’t support the ludicrous idea of the Pale Tree being a dragon. Dragons are dragons. The pale tree is….just not.

The fact that the Sylvari are completely immune to corruption probably helps my alternative theory as well…

-Faesight

(edited by Hickeroar.9734)

in Lore

Hickeroar.9734

Well the Seed was a magical seed. I don’t quite remember how the story goes, whether it was Ronan or Ventari, but they found a magical Seed in Elona from a mysterious place. That might give us a lead to what the Pale Tree really is

Ronin, a soldier, finds the seed in a cave. He returns home to find his entire family dead and his home destroyed. He swears off fighting for forever, and plants the pale seed in memoriam. The tree grows for something like 200 years, and Sylvari start to emerge.

in Lore

Hickeroar.9734

Also, I’d put money on THIS being your 6th dragon: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lore/Deep-Sea-Dragon-Does-Tyria-know

in Lore

Posted by: Gulbrandr.9047

Gulbrandr.9047

Re: How the Pale Tree knew about the OoW attack: Apparently the Pale Tree has simultaneous access to all Sylvari memories (no word on whether this includes Nightmare, Soundless, or Malyk). Anyway, my guess is she put it together from fragments that, on their own, were insufficient, but taken together, clearly pointed to the OoW attack.

in Lore

Hickeroar.9734

Re: How the Pale Tree knew about the OoW attack: Apparently the Pale Tree has simultaneous access to all Sylvari memories (no word on whether this includes Nightmare, Soundless, or Malyk). Anyway, my guess is she put it together from fragments that, on their own, were insufficient, but taken together, clearly pointed to the OoW attack.

Which OoW attack are you talking about?

in Lore

Illushia.3721

Order of Whispers, I think.

in Lore

Hickeroar.9734

Order of Whispers, I think.

Right but what was the attack?

in Lore

Illushia.3721

Oh. I misread. Probably the one on the Order ally that you go to Lion’s Arch to prevent. That one is predicted by the Pale Tree, I think.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Level 55 storyline ends with the Pale Tree stating your order’s base is about to be attacked. Who you go defend depends on your order, but all three get attacked.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Hickeroar.9734

Level 55 storyline ends with the Pale Tree stating your order’s base is about to be attacked. Who you go defend depends on your order, but all three get attacked.

Oh, that strikes me as more of a minor plot hole than anything. A simple case of “intelligence states,” while not telling you where the intelligence comes from. We buy into that cheap cop out on TV shows all the time, so it’s probably the same thing…

in Lore

Posted by: Ikoshin.2430

Ikoshin.2430

I have never seen anywhere that say the magical seeds that the Pale Tree came from appear before the awakening of the Elder dragons. It is one theory said by one person that’s just became the popular theory. The Pale Tree being a dragon champion/Lieutenant seems absurd to me as well as for reasons stated below.

Here Is what we know about the Sylvari:
(all of this can be found on the official wiki)

The magical seeds were found well before any dragons awoke by Ronan. He planted the seed above the graves of his family that were slaughtered by the mursaat. There were Titans at the time but they were connected to Abbadon not any dragon. Ronan and Ventari set up a refuge around where the tree was and before Ventari died in 1180 AE he left the tablet. Ventari later he died. I agree the Pale Tree is greatly influenced by Ventari but to say she was “corrupted” is a vast overstatement.

The seeds were placed in the cave by someone or thing this is true what that was we do not know of yet but it is highly unlikely it was a dragon. Ronan found several fist sized seeds in the cave but only took one. but we do know there is another “Pale Tree” with other Sylvari being born from in. It took over100 years after Ventari’s death for the pale tree to grow golden fruit that would produced the first Sylvari in 1302 AE.

Cadeyrn the Second Born started the nightmare court he beleived that Ventari’s teachings were holding the sylvari back from reaching their true potential. Another reason he formed the Nightmare Court was because of Malomedies and what the Asura did to him. Cadeyrn wishes to corrupt the pale tree by introducing horrible acts and depravity’s into the dream. The Asura who experimented on Malomedies were never mentioned but the Asura as a whole apologized and returned him to the Pale Tree and offered Peace between them.

Now my theory about the Pale tree and Elder Dragons.

The Dream of Dreams seems to be connected to the planet of Tyria itself not to a dragon the Pale Tree states that it feels the pain of the planet a few times in the personal storyline. If she were in anyway connected to a Elder Dragon why would she feel the pain of the planet?

There is more then one pale tree, this is found out through a branch of one of the Sylvari personal story lines. the Sylvari you meet is not unlike those from the Pale Tree although they feel an eerie silence from him, however the Soundless Sylvari give off the same feeling when they cut themselves from the Empathetic bond with the dream.

Who ever hid the seeds had a plan. They were well hidden from everything Ronan happened to accidentally find the cave he was not looking for it. from what we have seen the Sylvari race as a whole are not evil or act in anyway like creations from a dragon. perhaps it were the Dwarves who crated the seeds or possibly the Sidhe which were the race planed for Utopia expansion for guild wars 1 and what the Sylvari are biased from. In factions there are druids that are connected with the forest and could possibly be something like that who created the seeds for the planet to defend itself from the dragons.

In the personal story the other tree’s Sylvari dose not have the calling to fight the dragon and not much is known about this other pale tree other then it exists. It could be possible that some of the other Sylvari there do have the calling.

The Inquest base, I do not dispute that the six areas one we defiantly know is connected to Zhaitan and the other areas show similarity’s between the known dragons. I will not dispute there could be a Dragon that corrupts nature and uses plants as its minions however I do not believe it has any connection whatsoever to the pale tree or the Sylvari.

(edited by Ikoshin.2430)

in Lore

Posted by: Turtles All The Way Down.5608

Turtles All The Way Down.5608

The dragons are primarily consumers/destroyers. They awaken, they eat (using their minions to facilitate this), they go back to sleep. It seems incredibly unlikely to me that the pale tree is a champion of a dragon when she is not facilitating any kind of similar process. Malyck also doesn’t give any indication that he’s evil, and in fact his separation from the dream of the playable sylvari indicates that the different trees are not connected over all by some kind of dragon hivemind.

Regarding the crucible of eternity area, there are other things in the meguuma jungle besides the sylvari.

in Lore

Posted by: StevieMJH.9105

StevieMJH.9105

Tree != Dragon
/thread

in Lore

Posted by: StevieMJH.9105

StevieMJH.9105

… You guys are insane.

Let’s look at this from a gameplay perspective. ANet creates this awesome game. ANet creates this huuuuuuuge theme about cooperation and working together.

“Oh by the way one race are the badguys.”

… Really? That’s just… kind of… dumb.

This doesn’t make them bad guys. They’d be good at heart, they’d just be getting tricked. Not like they would all just turn against the rest and then kill everyone.

in Lore

Posted by: Icarus Pherae.4680

Icarus Pherae.4680

Well if you want the pale tree to be something she doesn’t appear to be at first…..why not make her Melandru? Melandru is afterall, always depicted as halftree in her statues. Maybe she was a parting gift from Ol’ M’ when the gods peaced out!

in Lore

Posted by: Hydrophidian.4319

Hydrophidian.4319

The commonality that the Elder Dragons all seem to share is that they consume and destroy. They are forces of destruction. Collectively, they could annihilate the world. Isn’t that the overarching threat they represent?

So, in a fantasy setting, wouldn’t The World have something to say about that?

Rather than being some complicated, convoluted, and seemingly contradictory manifestation of a 6th dragon, I think it much more straight-forward and likely that the Pale Trees and the Sylvari are (part of?) a defensive response. Through them, Tyria, the world’s own life spirit, is making its contribution to the struggle to save itself.

The parallels that people keep pointing to then wouldn’t be parallels at all, but rather a mirroring of the enemy you’re (directly and indirectly) designed to defeat, which is going to happen in any “arms race”: reflections of methodologies.

I think, as all this unfolds, the real story is going to be something along these lines. I also suspect it’s going to involve the fate of the Druids.

This also doesn’t preclude the possibility that the theoretical 6th dragon is organic-themed. The 6th could be all about fungus and rot, for example. Which would explain the appearance of the area the OP cites, without there having to be any direct connection to the Sylvari. This is assuming that said area is representative of a dragon at all, which it doesn’t have to be (though it seems likely).

in Lore

Posted by: TheCelt.1394

TheCelt.1394

Dragon or not one thing is certain, The Sylvari are good because we can play them. So even going with the ED theory there are a variety of explanations as to why they might be good, a rogue lieutenant, corrupted for good, perhaps even an elder dragon that doesn’t want to destroy the world (there are an unknown number, whose to say they all have to be bad?). There is a lot of evidence however that connects them to the dragons. If the elder dragons are meant to represent natural forces in the world, a tsunami for example, you deal with it you can’t stop it and it does not think it just acts, then why can’t there be a force, like in nature, that is there to regrow from the destruction?

rogue lieutenant

All the ED lieutenants are powered by the dragons themselves, and are essentially extensions of the dragon themselves. I’m not sure they could even go rogue, and if they did, I imagine the Elder Dragon could just pull the plug. “WHOOPS NO MORE POWER.”

corrupted for good

Wouldn’t that be purified? Besides, the Sylvari show no signs of any kind of alteration by a dragon, corruption or not. The dragon corruption is distinctive, if nothing else.

perhaps even an elder dragon that doesn’t want to destroy the world (there are an unknown number, whose to say they all have to be bad?)

Except everything we know about Elder Dragons, and everything ANet has ever said about Elder Dragons, points out that they are in fact bent on the destruction and cleansing of anything that isn’t them or their minions, even each other. If left to their own devices they would fight until they’ve eaten everything on the planet, up to and including each other.

There is a lot of evidence however that connects them to the dragons.

Liiiike… what? Go on. I’m listening. Got anything that isn’t speculation?

… no?

Well, let me know if you find anything.

If the elder dragons are meant to represent natural forces in the world, a tsunami for example, you deal with it you can’t stop it and it does not think it just acts, then why can’t there be a force, like in nature, that is there to regrow from the destruction?

Because the Elder Dragons likened to destructive forces of nature. They’re -not- forces of nature. They’re not natural parts of the cycle of life and death.

ANet has never said they’re forces of nature, only that they ACT like them inasmuch as they do not think, they just do, and whenever they -do-, things die.

Someone named Glint would like to have a word with you.

“It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument”. -William G. McAdoo

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Someone named Glint would like to have a word with you.

A race who created a powerful free will giving spell known as the forgotten, and a power known as “telepathy” would like a word with you.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Terazeal.1976

Terazeal.1976

I’d not trust the Inquest, bro.

in Lore

Posted by: jokeshop.9548

jokeshop.9548

I posted this to the thread on Guru but thought i’d paste it here too.

First off, apologies if this has been posted or come to light before.

While exploring Caledon Forest I came across a piece of interesting dialogue between a couple of Sylvari at the Hamlet of Annwen which seems to have some relevance to this theory…

Annwen Citizen(1): “Do you get a strange vibe when around other races?”
Annwen Citizen(2): “What do you mean?”
Annwen Citizen(1): “I don’t know. I always get hungry when I’m near the Haven. I start craving meat.”

Kind of scary, no? I think this could definitely be an indication that Sylvari were created to oppose the free races of Tyria. Whilst I don’t think we have evidence that other dragon minions actively seek to eat other races it doesn’t require too much of a stretch to assume this is a characteristic that they could display.

Thoughts?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

As I posted on the Guru2 thread, I think this in fact pushes the sylvari further away from the Elder Dragon connection hypothesis. Why? Elder Dragons – and their minions – do not eat in a traditional sense. They do not devour flesh. They feast on magic and magic alone.

Therefore, the craving for meat is not a tie to the Elder Dragons.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: bionaknight.9210

bionaknight.9210

I don’t believe that the Pale Tree is related in anyway to the Elder Dragons. the theory about the Tree being an actual Elder Dragon make little or no sense and leaves too many questions unanswered. For one, why would the Tree give Trahearne a legendary weapon (Calabog, wasn’t it?) when it knew that he could use it against the Tree after the other Dragons fell? Why give armaments to the Sylvari at all, when they could possibly rebel when they discover they were being used? Additionally, Sylvari seem much more intelligent then the Branded, Risen, Icebrood, and Destroyers. I’m sure when the tentacled minions of the Deep Sea Dragon (Tritons? Kraken monster boss fights?) arrive, they won’t be the sharpest sword in the armory either. Heck, the only exceptions I see to the Dumb Dragonspawn Principle are Morgus Lethe (of the book Destiny’s Edge) and the Mesmer from at least one of the “Cost of Victory” arcs. The odds of a whole race of intelligent Dragon Minions seems, well, unlikely at best.

In a nutshell, I’m going with the Pale Tree and Zone Green being a coincidence.

For battle, glory, and legend! -Pauriak, 80 Norn Warrior, Jade Quarry Server.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

There’s nothing in Zone Green linked to the Pale Tree (that binary code meaning Pale Tree was false and is instead “End Transmission Sequence”).

As to minion intelligence – it varies on how much energy the dragon puts into the minion, at least for Zhaitan. The more magic, the stronger and more intelligent it is – this is why the Eyes and Mouths of Zhaitan are among the strongest and most intelligent. But as you said, an entire race full of free will, intelligence, and even disobedience (Nightmare Court, Soundless) and a separate tree (Malyck’s) which functions differently indicates not an ED or champion.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Cassius.8945

Cassius.8945

What if there actually is no 6th dragon, there is instead a “Great Adversary”, which the elder dragons were created to oppose. This creature decided that the best way to deal with the threat of the elder dragons was to ally itself (or manipulate) the races of Tyria, and persuade them to defeat the elder dragons for it. It is playing the long game.

Who do we know of that has become a great leader of the major races in Tyria, with seemingly no effort? That’s right, Trahearne.

Due to Ventari’s Tablet’s changing the outcome of the Pale Tree, Trahearne had to come up with a different plan, releasing himself from the tree as the firstborn, and passing the the consciousness of “Pale Tree” to one of his (now good) champions. None of the good Sylvari are aware of this, even the Pale Tree herself.

I remember during my Sylvari Personal Story, we defeat Mazdak the Accursed with the sword Caladbolg, afterwards Trahearne takes the sword from us and returns to the Pale Tree to spread word of our victory “I’ll be sure to tell her the tale of Mazdak’s defeat.”, or does he? It is entirely possible Trahearne lied about what happened and claimed he did everything, giving himself favor with the Pale Tree, and in turn the entire Sylvari people. This event leads to him being returned Caladbolg by the Pale Tree, saves Claw Island, and is appointed the leader of The Pact.

As the leader of the Pact, Trahearne has the ability to lead the races and Orders of Tyria and wipe out the Elder Dragons, leaving the path free for his own conquest.

Please note that I had not been drinking or smoking before writing this, and is half as insane as many crazy theories out there.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Right, ignoring the fact that Trahearne is in fact only 25 years old.

Trahearne’s actions are all off-screen, sadly, but he didn’t have “seemingly no effort” – he’s been traveling, studying Orr, and knowing people for 25 years (from tengu to norn from Whispers to Vigil). It’s just all off-screen.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Mexay.4521

Mexay.4521

OP,

Please don’t confuse game MECHANICS with LORE.

The only reason for the NIGHTMARE to be there is that they needed SOMETHING there.

Besides, maybe they are harvesting the NIGHTMARE and not the pale tree.

Also, Elder Dragons can not CREATE sentient, free willed life. The Pale Tree does. Elder Dragons are not apparently Sentient as such, the Pale Tree is.

Mexay Lathyre – Level 80 Warrior Greatsword/Longbow

Still waiting on Customer Support. #121025-001252

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The only thing you’re wrong on, Mexay, is that the Elder Dragons are very much sentient – and sapient.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Im Too Godlike.5629

Im Too Godlike.5629

Its a tree. not a dragon. a tree. just saying.

in Lore

Posted by: Notrub.6925

Notrub.6925

The Malyck story, in the Sylvari story line, tells a lot. He is Sylvari. Confirmed to come from another tree. He knows nothing about “The Dream” that the Sylvari from the Pale Tree are familiar with. That is why the Nightmare Court see him as the Harbinger because they see his tree as being free from the influence of Ventari. Malyck initially has no predisposition to fight the Elder Dragons only the Nightmare Court who have harmed the Wardens who have been kind to him since his “birth”. His determination to fight the ED only comes at the end of the story after the NC has been dealt with and he leaves to go find his mother tree.

In the original GW1 story the cave where Ronan found the cave with seeds, more than one, and sentient plant creatures guarding it. He was only able to take the one seed he planted at the grave of his family. Obviously, with the story of Malyck other seeds have made their way out of the cave and also been “planted” in some form or fashion. Though from Malyck’s story we see not all the trees are the same. Not all Sylvari from the trees have a “Dream” or are connected to other Sylvari from “their” tree.

If you study the story about Malyck there is a LOT of information about:
1) There is more than one motherTree
2) Not all “Trees” are the same
3) Sylvari from different Trees do not have the same experiences or motivations, And are the same in form , so far, in that they all seem to take on a humanoid form.
4) Not all Sylvari from every Tree experiences the Dream or a connection with other Sylvari from their mother Tree. Which is why the story ends with Malyck leaving to go find his mother Tree and the Sylvari associated with it.
5) Contrary to what the Devs have said in interviews not ALL Sylvari have a “natural” disposition to fight the EDs. Malyck didn’t until the end of his story after his meeting with the Pale Tree, when he starts getting the bigger picture from the Pale Tree.

As to the OP with the Trees being ED or ED champions. Seeing the differences between Malyck and the Pale Tree Sylvari it is hard to reconcile. I have my own theories about other Trees and the origins of other plant like races found in Maguuma and Cantha. But, that is for another thread…:o)

in Lore

Posted by: Zyxin.1235

Zyxin.1235

Lets say that there is a sixth elder dragon. Lets also say that this dragon is plant based. Given that, and the fact that in GW1, across several areas, there are plant-like beings, that fake sentience, as well as this being told in Gw2. I.E. The first contact with Asura and Sylvari, explaining that the Asura thought Sylvari were one of these, sentient mimicking plant-creatures.
Given that. Isn’t it more likely that these non sentient plant creatures are minions of a “Sixth. Plant Elder Dragon” rather than the pale tree? Of course, this is all speculation as well, but I felt it should be brought up.
Seems to me that what ever the Pale Tree is, is unrelated to the Dragons, save for the fact that nature wanted to fight back. Tyria’s White Blood Cells, so to speak.

Just my theory.

in Lore

Posted by: Hanakin.5269

Hanakin.5269

First of all, I must say the title of this thread is very misleading. ArenaNet, as far as I know, has not confirm anything abt the 6th and probably final dragon. Even if you wrote it with open and close inverted commas, it’s still a form of misrepresentation.

Second, why is it that a room with plants and greenery that’s supposed to represent a certain ED has to be linked to the Sylvari? There are prolly a million other fauna lifeforms and need not necessary has anything to do with the Sylvari.

However, it is nice to see you guys discussing abt the ED lore here and the speculations are rather interesting, even if its just speculations. =)

“You want a piece of me? Get in line”

in Lore

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

Pale Tree is not strong enough to defeat the other 5 dragons so she is using us when we finally defeat the dragons she will rise as the most strong powerfull dragon ever.

The Pale Tree was the most powerfull evil creature ever, all the gods banded together and created 5 mystical creatures that as long as they lived the Pale Tree would not be able to powerfull enough to create any damage.

The Pale Tree saw in tyrian creatures the perfect ally to try to destroy the dragons and unleash her, so she pretends to be nice all along, after we destroy all the dragons she will reveal herself and destroy anything that does not bound to her power and will.

Tyrians will learn the horryfing truth that the dragons weren’t trying to destroy tyria, they were trying to destroy the Pale Tree all along and since we allied with her, they took us for enemies, this is all a big misunderstood.

We now are at the edge of the cliff, and when things are about to end for humanity, the six return and give us for a brief moment all the magic we could ever ask for and together we shall destroy the imprison the Pale Tree, then the six remove our powers and we move one.

So it is like the first AC game with altair and his mentor….?

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Pale Tree is not strong enough to defeat the other 5 dragons so she is using us when we finally defeat the dragons she will rise as the most strong powerfull dragon ever.

The Pale Tree was the most powerfull evil creature ever, all the gods banded together and created 5 mystical creatures that as long as they lived the Pale Tree would not be able to powerfull enough to create any damage.

The Pale Tree saw in tyrian creatures the perfect ally to try to destroy the dragons and unleash her, so she pretends to be nice all along, after we destroy all the dragons she will reveal herself and destroy anything that does not bound to her power and will.

Tyrians will learn the horryfing truth that the dragons weren’t trying to destroy tyria, they were trying to destroy the Pale Tree all along and since we allied with her, they took us for enemies, this is all a big misunderstood.

We now are at the edge of the cliff, and when things are about to end for humanity, the six return and give us for a brief moment all the magic we could ever ask for and together we shall destroy the imprison the Pale Tree, then the six remove our powers and we move one.

So it is like the first AC game with altair and his mentor….?

If this were true, then we would be royally screwed by the fact that there is more than 1 pale tree! Dun Dun Duuuuuun!

in Lore

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

I always thought the sixth was the inquests attempt to form a new type of draconic energy, using their studies from the others, a form in which they can control.

in Lore

Posted by: Aurum.8793

Aurum.8793

I suppose… Technically this could work if it weren’t for the Sylvari. Sylvari are a playable race, so to make their leader a dragon would be a conflict of interest. Is the Pale Tree somehow linked to the dragons? That’s possible, but the Pale Tree cannot be a dragon, unless they make Sylvari an unplayable race.

in Lore

Posted by: septimus.7604

septimus.7604

just as a side note, the ‘project alpha’ mini-boss/main boss in crucible of eternity has ttacks named after the EDs, ‘teeth of primordus’ for example, is a falling firey spike attack. one of his attacks is called ‘teeth of mordremoth’ and consists of spikes of earth falling and hitting you. another hint towards a earth based ED located somewhere near the maguuma wastes, perhaps?