Theorycrafting on Scarlet

in Lore

Posted by: Neek.9531

Neek.9531

Really loving all the sleuthing and theorycrafting in this thread. You people are awesome.

i don’t assume you could give an end to our journal date conundrum, could you? not even a hint? :P

You’ll actually find your answer in the game soon.

Translation: We’ll get our answer with Edge of the Mists, that comes next week.

Well the only thing I can think of is the Abbadon was an elementalist. He’s dead but whose to say he can’t revived

…Abaddon wasn’t an elementalist.

There’s a common misconception that people believe the gods are the profession for which they’re the patron deity for.

Elementalists, however, don’t have a single patron deity. Certainly not Abaddon, who did not control all elements – just water. His magical “Devoted” in his temple are mostly mesmers (with some thief and necromancy here /there). I don’t think there was a single elementalist among them.

Oh I know Elementalist’s don’t have a patron god but the elements themselves, I was saying that in game (Guild Wars) Abaddon is scripted as an Elementalist. Just like how Dhuum is a Dervish.

[DI] Main Elementalist: Zepdo, Alts: Warrior, Mesmer,Thief.

in Lore

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Hmm. Is Evon just being astute, or does he know something he’s not telling us?

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Lore

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Really loving all the sleuthing and theorycrafting in this thread. You people are awesome.

i don’t assume you could give an end to our journal date conundrum, could you? not even a hint? :P

Translation: We’ll get our answer with Edge of the Mists, that comes next week.

Well the only thing I can think of is the Abbadon was an elementalist. He’s dead but whose to say he can’t revived

…Abaddon wasn’t an elementalist.

There’s a common misconception that people believe the gods are the profession for which they’re the patron deity for.

Elementalists, however, don’t have a single patron deity. Certainly not Abaddon, who did not control all elements – just water. His magical “Devoted” in his temple are mostly mesmers (with some thief and necromancy here /there). I don’t think there was a single elementalist among them.

Oh I know Elementalist’s don’t have a patron god but the elements themselves, I was saying that in game (Guild Wars) Abaddon is scripted as an Elementalist. Just like how Dhuum is a Dervish.

Abaddon isn’t though…. He uses the male warrior dance when he serves you when everyone in the group /dances.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Lore

Neek.9531

Well I’m not to sure about this but check the Guild Wars wiki on him it says he’s an elementalist and almost remember something when I played that game long ago that made think that before I checked the wiki.

in Lore

Neek.9531

Copy and pasted this from my forum: Usurped by Grenth long ago, Grenth absorbed Dhuums power and thus locked him away. However, Dhuum gets his power from every death in the underworld. With this Dhuum constantly escapes from Grenth’s prison and must be defeated and put back in his place. (Grenth doesn’t poses the power to destroy Dhuum) Yet the gods have been gone for a while, so one can assume that Dhuum’s power has began to reach the point to when he can escape yet again. So Dhuum could maybe plan to revive Abaddon and Allie with with Menzies and thus target the current gods especially (Grenth, Balthazar, and Kormir). Scarlets drill could be used to pry the ED out of the ground then use her deadly neurotoxin from the Tower of Nightmares to maybe incapacitate the ED then with Scarlets technology she absorbs the dragons power and returns to revive abaddon or strengthen Dhuum. idk this is just my theory with no evidence. For some reason people think you needed in game evidence to post something in an open forum.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Also, I was thinking Kiel is pretty well written out of the picture by this point, but if Scarlet does anything with Fort Marriner, we may actually be seeing more of her soon too.

We haven’t seen her because she became a politician. That alone at least doubles a character’s levels of boring. Though, if Scarlet does attack Fort Marriner, I’m kinda hoping to see Kiel and Evon fighting side by side. Evon will, of course, be nagging her about the election, and if he made Captain Council, Lion’s Arch would have been much better prepared for such an obvious future attack.

…maybe adding Canach too. I doubt it will happen, but it would be plausibly to see him conscripted from prison to help protect the populace. Especially if it was during a major attack. It would also be a good way to semi-start his storyline again, by throwing him in the politics of Lion’s Arch afterwards.

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

So.. she is actually invading the Mists with next weeks update. Going to be interesting to see why she wants a foothold there.

And the trailer mentioned that they want to claim it as Scarlet`s base of operation, thus it could be just that.
A place where she can teleport anywhere she wants. We still not know how her “special” portal power is working.
Maybe it is related to the mists, since the “mists are everything”.
Making a base there on a suitable piece of formed matter might be the way to go o.O

There are also articles pointing to the “Dead End” in which we see if Majory really is the Tyrias greatest detective and Kasmeer her girl wonder, since they finaly want to piece all the things together for us…

Many of the minions we’re fighting by now are holographic things used to replace the earlier fleshy minions, which helps explain how Scarlet has a seemingly neverending number of mooks to unleash on map-wide events like Scarlet invasions despite us slaying thousands of them.

-snip-

Am i the only one getting tired of these holographic or halucinogenic enemies?
They feel really like a cheap way to explain the “masses” of enemies we are slaughtering.
(still waiting on a clarification of “how big are the armies supposed to be in relation to how many we are actually killing of for gameplay reasons” , bobby)

I can understand the halucinogenic to some degree, but the holographics are annoying.
Even if it is magitech, they need to have a core or projector device and they function even if that thing is destroyed.
Even Star Trek needed a big room. Yes they were able to physicaly interact with the projections, however that was because of directed forcefields and only with Voyager and them aquireing something from a more advanced race allowed them to create an holographic entity which could walk around.

Apearently Scarlet is able to advance “simple” asura technology to a much higher level then we thought…

-We know that Dhuum isn’t dead and he’s tried to escape his imprisonment multiple times.

Sure, but the six are gone mostly from “our” plane. Who tells us that Grenth does not do his job in the Underworld and has Dhuum in check.
I mean, what else should he do? It is his domain and right now he is not going out for party every winter like he used to 250 years ago.

@Konig: The video says that there was a place that was untouched by Scarlet and chaos till now, and that place was the edge of the mists (or mists in general could be argued). This imo makes it sound that she wants to do something in the mists.

Nope, it is just stating a fact. Lorewise Scarlet was not in the mists so far.
That she goes into WvW or in this case, the Edge of the Mists, is the first time.
Again, maybe she wants to destroy the world (giant drilling machine, going to the core, boom, recreating the world itself from the mists… i have no clue or idea here)

in Lore

Erukk.1408

So Dhuum could maybe plan to revive Abaddon and Allie with with Menzies and thus target the current gods especially (Grenth, Balthazar, and Kormir).

Dhuum performing a resurrection?

Funny!

in Lore

Jaken.6801

I’m not questioning the credibility of the claim, I’m questioning whether or not the theory of active possession is any more valid given this vague information (as opposed to possession by corruption).

How about that she is just getting serious now? I mean, it is supposed to be her “final phase” and again and again somebody just went to close to her comfort zone?
People like our fab five who go further then she expected?

And you are the devil, enjoying this way too much

Soon as in “near future” or as the the soon i use, when i answer someone that i will be “doing something soon” aka in my pace and not theirs (ranging from the estemated 10 min, to my usual 3-5 hours )

saw kiel roaming the town today. seemed more worried about dessa and the consortium than anything else.

maybe that fleabag is right. maybe she will get everyone killed by playing in the mists.

Sure, because Evon would have seen nothing noteworthy to ponder about in his little god skirmish… he would have not tried to get Dessa out of there for his company, resulting in the same dilema Kiel is in now?

in Lore

Posted by: kylwilson.9137

kylwilson.9137

Forgive me here. Just a dragon related thought; but not in the typical sense:

We have no word on what happened to Glint’s only known child that was featured in Guild Wars 1. It somewhat may tie into the cave painting in Scarlet’s secret lair/lab.

We know that Glint did have access to some semblance of mind related/illusory magic, so that’s a thought, ties into Scarlet’s mental torment, bringing me to my next point.
We did protect said child all those years ago somewhere that ~seemed~ to be underground, as it was accessed via. the Central Transfer Chamber. Dwarves are also hypothesised to be underground still fighting the Destroyers. This loosely ties the Thumpers into the equation.

And then it’s worth considering if the child was ‘conceived’ at a point before or after Glint’s release from Kralkatorrik, as if it was before (we have no knowledge of incubation periods) it is entirely likely that it’s nature is not as benign as we were lead to believe in Eye of the North, which would be a lovely twist and brings up a nature vs. nurture discussion which has already been touched on in terms of Scarlet’s backstory anyway.

Also sets up a possible story path to either Primordus ~or~ Kralkatorrik being the next dragon we take on, which would in turn mean opening up access to the Crystal Desert, which would surely (and this is what A-net wants) bring truckloads of players back into the game.

But this is all of course wishful thinking.

\o/

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

So Dhuum could maybe plan to revive Abaddon and Allie with with Menzies and thus target the current gods especially (Grenth, Balthazar, and Kormir).

Dhuum performing a resurrection?

Funny!

Hahaha, irony!

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Which is far from a strong argument, since every NPC technically requires having a profession I believe. It’s likely they just picked one and went “no one will ever find out!” Then came Hard Mode with the “any NPC can drop a tome of their profession.”

Abaddon isn’t though…. He uses the male warrior dance when he serves you when everyone in the group /dances.

That’s even less of a reliable source for telling a profession.

Most male NPCs either use ranger dance – because their frames are such. Most female NPCs use elementalist dance.

Shiro uses warrior frames and dance; Eve uses elementalist; etc.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I can understand the halucinogenic to some degree, but the holographics are annoying.
Even if it is magitech, they need to have a core or projector device and they function even if that thing is destroyed.
[…]
Apearently Scarlet is able to advance “simple” asura technology to a much higher level then we thought…

It wasn’t Scarlet. It was the Order of Whispers, specifically Zott for Ellie, who used the technology for the Pact.

And Lion’s Arch bought/borrowed/something this technology for all those holographic dragon minion projectors. These projectors were then stolen by the Aetherblades. And thus Scarlet reverse engineered/altered these hundreds of projectors that can create interactive holograms and made them feature herself because she’s an egoist.

Don’t you people pay attention? It’s all there! :P

Sure, but the six are gone mostly from “our” plane. Who tells us that Grenth does not do his job in the Underworld and has Dhuum in check.
I mean, what else should he do? It is his domain and right now he is not going out for party every winter like he used to 250 years ago.

Priestess Rhie says that the gods aren’t even in the Mists. And 250 years ago, it was his avatar, not himself, that showed up for Wintersday. Same with Dwayna.

We did protect said child all those years ago somewhere that ~seemed~ to be underground, as it was accessed via. the Central Transfer Chamber. Dwarves are also hypothesised to be underground still fighting the Destroyers. This loosely ties the Thumpers into the equation.

The asura gate we went through to reach the little challenge mission to protect the baby was somehow connected to the Crystal Desert. The idea being that the baby was in a similar place to Glint’s own sanctuary – if not within the sanctuary itself.

And keep in mind that Glint’s sanctuary isn’t in a single grain of sand – that’s a lie to fool those seeking Glint, to get the illusion of hiding her sanctuary to work. Destroyers wouldn’t know such a lie and would be able to go straight to the sanctuary.

And then it’s worth considering if the child was ‘conceived’ at a point before or after Glint’s release from Kralkatorrik, as if it was before (we have no knowledge of incubation periods) it is entirely likely that it’s nature is not as benign as we were lead to believe in Eye of the North, which would be a lovely twist and brings up a nature vs. nurture discussion which has already been touched on in terms of Scarlet’s backstory anyway.

Nothing really says it’s a traditional baby – in fact, all knowledge on dragon minions would require it to not be. Given that dragon champions can make minions, that dragon minions cannot give birth to new life (they must be corrupted while pregnant), given the Crystal Guardians/Spiders, and the eggs being transparent and crystalline, it’s likely that the baby is akin to those Crystal Guardians/Spiders which work alongside Glint and the forgotten there.

Not to mention that the baby didn’t attack us or the dwarves, which it would have if it was influenced by Kralkatorrik.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Jaken.6801

It wasn’t Scarlet. It was the Order of Whispers, specifically Zott for Ellie, who used the technology for the Pact.

And Lion’s Arch bought/borrowed/something this technology for all those holographic dragon minion projectors. These projectors were then stolen by the Aetherblades. And thus Scarlet reverse engineered/altered these hundreds of projectors that can create interactive holograms and made them feature herself because she’s an egoist.

Don’t you people pay attention? It’s all there! :P

Oh i am aware of that. I am more annoyed by it.
I do not mind it as projections, but creating a fighting force is a bit too much in my book.
I mean, who needs an actual army, if we can just make one up.
Well, robot minions are the same

ps. Yeah, the dagon bash things still needed a very visible projector we could destroy.

(didn`t know about the OoW thingy, didn`t go that PS part yet. At least not knowingly)

Priestess Rhie says that the gods aren’t even in the Mists. And 250 years ago, it was his avatar, not himself, that showed up for Wintersday. Same with Dwayna.

I was mostly going for a joke here. Did we ever directly interact with an god aside from Dhuum, Abaddon and Kormir in the end?
I am not sure right now.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

No, we did not.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Stephen.6312

Stephen.6312

Hi all!
Hey does anyone remember in the Tower Of Nightmares, Kasmeer refers to “someone” messing with everyone’s’ minds? Kasmeer says, “Someone – I’ll call her Scarlet – is messing with our heads” (or something very close to this – you can check the exact wording on the Wiki under the Tower Of Nightmares instance). But the point is that only someone like Kasmeer could sense the true identity of whoever is behind this (other than Ceara that is). In the Dead End Kasmeer says that if she and Marjory patrol through Divinity’s Reach Kasmeer “will know” if whoever they talk to is lying. She is a powerful Mesmer and would be able to do so.

So my question is: Is the entity behind this “male” or “female”? Are Kasmeer’s words used in reference only to Ceara, the Tower itself (which was sentient) or someone else? If the entity is “female” what does this mean for our current theories?

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

i think kasmeer’s words are just snark.

“i’m not gonna name any names, buuuuuuuuut”.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Kasmeer’s words (I think this is what Stephan’s referring to):

Marjory Delaqua: I don’t like this. What’s Happening?
Kasmeer Meade: Don’t worry. It’s not real. It’s the pollen playing with our minds.
Marjory Delaqua: Okay. But…why are we seeing Aetherblades?
Kasmeer Meade: Scarlet’s signature is all over this. She must be exerting some influence once our defenses are weakened by the toxins.

Edit: Oh, it’s probably this one from The Nightmare Incarnate (above was from first entering the Nightmare Chambers):

Marjory Delaqua: I’m so glad that’s over. They were hallucinations? You’re sure.
Kasmeer Meade: I’m sure. Somebody—I’ll call her Scarlet—was messing with our minds.
Marjory Delaqua: Okay. Then let’s figure out what she’s up up here and put an end to it.

Anyways, I’ll go with Bruno. Just snarkiness.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Does anyone think we will “beat the Scarlet out of Caera” instead of killing her? Or that maybe once her plan is foiled/ carried out the Scarlet persona will dissipate and we will be left with Caera suffering amnesia spanning the entirety of the Scarlet phase?

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

ceara wasn’t exactly flowers and sunshine (pun unintended). she was arrogant, egocentric, and the lust for power (and for rewiring the world) was there from the start. even if “scarlet” is an outside being, we wouldn’t get an innocent, nice ceara.

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I’m trying to reconcile the diaries, which are miserably short and unlike a diary, and her experience in Omadd’s experiment. It would make sense for her to have met her nightmare entity inside the experiment, yet the diary describes a slower descent into madness when she still had contact with the menders. If she was slowly going mad before the tank and the flipped when inside the experiment, then surely that would have been in the diary. If the experiment is unconnected to the entity then the experiment is still more important as that’s when Scarlet mentally replaces Caera. Whatever, the diary should have records of the experiment if Omadd is important enough to be her password.

Anyway, has anyone asked why her base was under the Priory yet? It was presumably so that she could access ancient records within the Priory or confer with a Priory member. As usual in GW2 we’re not going to find out until our allies drive the story and tell us to investigate the obvious.

(edited by Stooperdale.3560)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

“when she still had contact with the menders”

When did she lose contact? No one viewed her as a threat until Queen’s Jubille. She could have gone visit them at any point until then, honestly.

And in all honesty, ArenaNet probably chose that place not due to its proximity to the Priory, but the lack of hostility+"in a cave" for their little cave painting.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Stooperdale.3560

“And in all honesty, ArenaNet probably chose that place not due to its proximity to the Priory, but the lack of hostility+”in a cave" for their little cave painting."

If that’s the case then they have yet again shown a supposedly clever person doing a very stupid thing. The have now also made her a charismatic alliance leader, great weaponsmith, ufo designer, mad anarchist, and now a reclusive hermit as well. All at the same time!

in Lore

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Idk why people think that her lair is a bad location to be in…. There’s pack of wolves all over the place outside, there’s a small army of Wurms with a champion and then cave trolls plus the whole she’s hiding behind a holographic wall which before this patch was solid…

Most individuals are gonna stay away from that place to begin with, and those that don’t wouldn’t be snooping around for very long, would be much better than hiding the place in a populated area….

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Lore

Erukk.1408

“And in all honesty, ArenaNet probably chose that place not due to its proximity to the Priory, but the lack of hostility+”in a cave" for their little cave painting."

If that’s the case then they have yet again shown a supposedly clever person doing a very stupid thing. The have now also made her a charismatic alliance leader, great weaponsmith, ufo designer, mad anarchist, and now a reclusive hermit as well. All at the same time!

I wouldn’t really call Scarlet a “charismatic” leader. She mostly seems to mostly lead the different alliances either through fear, knowledge, and profitability. Her screaming “Die, die, die, die, die, die!” also takes away from any charisma too. Unless, of course, you’re into that.

For the other stuff, hermit living in caves are usually either wise or deranged in a fantasy setting. Luckily for us, Scarlet can be classified as both.

in Lore

Stooperdale.3560

“Most individuals are gonna stay away from that place to begin with, and those that don’t wouldn’t be snooping around for very long, would be much better than hiding the place in a populated area…”

Ok the reasons I’d say it was a stupid place
- It would take a long time to get there by foot, which is presumably how she gets there. She’s meant to be a busy woman who is pioneering every branch of science.
- The Priory are the one group people who will be measuring random things just for the sake of it so it is the worst place to do experiments without being noticed.
- Ditto for communications and portals.
- A whole load of researchers, archaeologists, and the last living dwarf are exactly the people who might do something unpredictable to discover a secret cave of gizmos.
- She can’t command three alliances and a robotic army and workshops from within a cave. She can’t delegate as she has no named deputies or generals at all.
- She has no escape route or access to airships, but gateless teleports rule of course.
- She has access to any number of secret lairs through her alliances.
- Trolls and grawl are bad neighbours.

So saying she is there just because one cave is just as good as another is just making excuses for the sake of it, as far as I am concerned.

in Lore

Posted by: moomooo.9357

moomooo.9357

What if it’s just a lair? With some small minor things brought into it to experiment, but not really the true source of her experiments(I mean, it’s a pretty kitten small cave). What if she saw it as a place to “get away”? I see that as more likely, a place she didn’t frequent that often. Maybe like a thought palace.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

What if it’s just a lair? With some small minor things brought into it to experiment, but not really the true source of her experiments(I mean, it’s a pretty kitten small cave). What if she saw it as a place to “get away”? I see that as more likely, a place she didn’t frequent that often. Maybe like a thought palace.

That’s what it felt like to me- a place to go when she wanted to be alone, a place to sit in her armchair, stare out at Tyria, and make a mental note to invent a clockwork cat to stroke.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Mr Mango.3504

Mr Mango.3504

Yeah. She might have stopped using it a few months ago but left clues (like her coded journal) in there to toy with people like us who know we can’t do anything to stop her drill and whatnot because we don’t know where her other bases are.

I’m Mango. Fight on!

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

“Most individuals are gonna stay away from that place to begin with, and those that don’t wouldn’t be snooping around for very long, would be much better than hiding the place in a populated area…”

Ok the reasons I’d say it was a stupid place
- It would take a long time to get there by foot, which is presumably how she gets there. She’s meant to be a busy woman who is pioneering every branch of science.

Why would the queen of portals walk there? Does she walk anywhere?

in Lore

Stephen.6312

Hey, I was reading Scarlet’s journal again. She writes,

“Tonight, I saw it. I stared into the abyss, and it stared back at me. So much power. I don’t know what’s real and what isn’t anymore.”

This is similar to the words of Friedrich Nietzsche:
“He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.”

Nietzsche promoted an idea he coined the “Apollonian/Dionysian dichotomy”. Could Ceara be wrestling with herself? Ceara may represent Dream, whereas Scarlet represents NIghtmare? I really don’t know, although I think that maybe this dichotomy served as the inspiration for the in-game concepts Dream and Nightmare.

in Lore

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Maybe Scarlet is going to the Mists to search for Omadd? In order to seek advice on how to deal with her nightmares? or to see if Omadd, can / help her, draw a conclusion from what she has seen thus far?

However, it seems a bit too…simple. Not enough twists. Hmm

Slightly off topic:

ceara wasn’t exactly flowers and sunshine (pun unintended). she was arrogant, egocentric, and the lust for power (and for rewiring the world) was there from the start. even if “scarlet” is an outside being, we wouldn’t get an innocent, nice ceara.

Sounds like Kanye West hahahaha

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

(edited by Avster.1935)

in Lore

Stephen.6312

In my studies of alchemy, I came across something that I wanted to add to this thread that may be relevant. Esoteric and Hermetic interpretations of alchemy make it a spiritual (as much as a physical) process – that is to say, the alchemist is transmuted as much as his or her substances.

This inner “transmutation” is represented by four colors: Black, white, yellow and red. Intriguingly, Ceara had a “golden” (or yellow) bio-luminescent glow before she entered Omadd’s isolation module. Exiting it (and having viewed the Eternal Alchemy) Scarlet had a red bio-luminescence. I wonder whether this represented the point at which the inner conflict recorded in Ceara’s/Scarlet’s journal ended: Dream was lost to Nightmare. Alternatively, this may have been the first point at which it began. I’m not sure, I just thought that I’d add this to this thread in case it helps others in their theorycrafting

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I think this is a reasonable assumption. It would also explain the changes in Scarlet’s voice, of which the writers have stated that is does have a good story reason.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

“Tonight, I saw it. I stared into the abyss, and it stared back at me. So much power. I don’t know what’s real and what isn’t anymore.”

“He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.”

Nietzsche promoted an idea he coined the “Apollonian/Dionysian dichotomy”. Could Ceara be wrestling with herself? Ceara may represent Dream, whereas Scarlet represents NIghtmare? I really don’t know, although I think that maybe this dichotomy served as the inspiration for the in-game concepts Dream and Nightmare.

During story mode of Twilight Arbor, the same analogue is used for Faolain, when she first saw the Nightmare, I believe. The idea used was that Caithe saw and looked away, but Faolain continued looking and it consumed her. Don’t recall exact wordings and it’s not on the wiki sadly… And it may have been Edge of Destiny, in fact.

BTW, the inspiration is already stated long ago to have been the Seelie and Unseelie Court of Scottish folklore. Though that very commonly used line may have been the inspiration between these two bits, the line (stare long enough into the abyss and it stares back into you) is used almost everywhere.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

During story mode of Twilight Arbor, the same analogue is used for Faolain, when she first saw the Nightmare, I believe. The idea used was that Caithe saw and looked away, but Faolain continued looking and it consumed her. Don’t recall exact wordings and it’s not on the wiki sadly… And it may have been Edge of Destiny, in fact.

BTW, the inspiration is already stated long ago to have been the Seelie and Unseelie Court of Scottish folklore. Though that very commonly used line may have been the inspiration between these two bits, the line (stare long enough into the abyss and it stares back into you) is used almost everywhere.

pretty sure it was on EoD. it’s either the first chapter caithe appears (so before she appears to rytlock and logan), or when faolain shows up later on to deliver exposition.

in Lore

Jaken.6801

Quick patch info dump:

WARNING THERE WILL BE SPOILER

Mai Tin Escapes
- Canach says he is the same as Scarlet, but he seeks to find himself a place in the world, while she want to destroy it to build a throne on the rubble (talk to Canach in his cell)
- he says something is destyroying her from the inside day by day (did Scarlet and Canach ever met?)
- The probe glows green, something is coming?
- Mai Tin went into the Mists

The Dead End
- appearently the Order do something… Majory has contacts at the Priory and gets info.
- Rox was there as the Aetherblade attacked?

- Will expand with new info as i go along -

(edited by Jaken.6801)

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

canach met scarlet “briefly, as ceara”. said what everyone already knew about her personality. she was too busy being arrogant and egocentric to pay attention to people around her or care, so he didn’t like her and went on with his life. as for what he knows of scarlet, i think it’s just what he overheard from prison.

but yeah, it sounds canach is on the path of redemption. he refused to escape from prison and intends to serve his full time. he wants to avoid southsun because of his past mistakes too.

(edited by BrunoBRS.5178)

in Lore

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

canach met scarlet “briefly, as ceara”. said what everyone already knew about her personality. she was too busy being arrogant and egocentric to pay attention to people around her or care, so he didn’t like her and went on with his life. as for what he knows of scarlet, i think it’s just what he overheard from prison.

but yeah, it sounds canach is on the path of redemption. he refused to escape from prison and intends to serve his full time. he wants to avoid southsun because of his past mistakes too.

Yah, seems like that theory people had about Canach joining the “new destiny’s edge” might end up coming to fruition now that he’s trying to redeem himself and all.

Also, it blew my mind when Canach said “Ceara”. I always figured it was pronounced See-ra, but he pronounced it Kee-ar-ah. Minor thing, but yah. Surprising.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Really? I had been pronouncing it like Sarah…

Humorously, Scarlet’s original name is pronounced the same/similar as MY sylvari! (Kierra – Kee-ehr-ah) o.o And I play her as a forced Soundless (something traumatic happened, she lost her connection)… just like Scarlet…. And both had the same cowl…

STOP STEALING MY CHARACTER ANET!

:P

Thank goodness Kierra doesn’t go “teehee” and is a thief not engineer…

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

Humorously, Scarlet’s original name is pronounced the same/similar as MY sylvari! (Kierra – Kee-ehr-ah) o.o And I play her as a forced Soundless (something traumatic happened, she lost her connection)… just like Scarlet…. And both had the same cowl…

well, scarlet stole those watchknights :P

also, YOU MUST IMPROVE YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF OLD IRISH NAMES. it’s see-ah-ra, right? haven’t seen anything in-game that made it seem like i was pronouncing it wrong.

in Lore

Posted by: Blurk.6231

Blurk.6231

also, YOU MUST IMPROVE YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF OLD IRISH NAMES. it’s see-ah-ra, right? haven’t seen anything in-game that made it seem like i was pronouncing it wrong.

Canach says is the way Konig describes. Just stay there for a while and you’ll hear it.

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

Canach says is the way Konig describes. Just stay there for a while and you’ll hear it.

huh. stayed there for a while, there was quite a bit of repeating dialogue, but nothing made me notice that.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Ask Electro, he’s the one who mentioned Canach pronouncing it as Kee-ar-ah rather than cee-ar-ah (or “sarah” if you cut the ee sound).

I was pretty sure that Caithe said her name in Twilight Arbor’s new path anyways, didn’t see? I could have sworn the name was spoken aloud as Sarah…

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

i went in-game, canach DOES say kee-ah-rah, but like you, i could’ve sworn i was pronouncing it right…

in Lore

Posted by: Scott McGough

Previous

Scott McGough

Narrative Lead

Regarding the pronunciation: it was always intended to be as Canach pronounces it, “KYAR-ah” or if you prefer, “kee-YAR-ah.” We settled on the hard-K sound at the front and the multiple vowel sounds in the middle because that was one of the potential acceptable pronunciations (names like Kira and Keira are derived from it) and the soft-C or S sound at the front took the name too close to “Sieran” territory).

I believe this release marks the first time Scarlet’s original name has been voiced out loud by any character (previously Caithe mentioned her by name in an unvoiced conversation).

In addition, regarding the name’s origin/meaning: we considered a great many names with a great many meanings. Along with the other meanings of Ceara (and its variants) like “spear” or “dark,” one of the variant meanings was “fiery red,” and the collective impact of all those definitions pushed the name Ceara into the winner’s circle.

—Scott McG

(edited by Scott McGough.6897)

in Lore

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

Regarding the pronunciation: it was always intended to be as Canach pronounces it, “KYAR-ah” or if you prefer, “kee-YAR-ah.” We settled on the hard-K sound at the front and the multiple vowel sounds in the middle because that was one of the potential acceptable pronunciations (names like Kira and Keira are derived from it) and the soft-C or S sound at the front took the name too close to “Sieran” territory).

This isn’t a complaint, just an observation. As someone whose first language is french, this is a bit confusing. Putting an -e- or -i- in front of an -a- would make a soft -c-/-s- so this as an explanation doesn’t really make sense for other languages (or well at least in french)

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

i looked up the name when this discussion started, apparently it’s a variant of “Ciara”, and another variant is “Sierra”.

but thanks for the clarification!

in Lore

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

This isn’t a complaint, just an observation. As someone whose first language is french, this is a bit confusing. Putting an -e- or -i- in front of an -a- would make a soft -c-/-s- so this as an explanation doesn’t really make sense for other languages (or well at least in french)

Ceara and Ciara are Irish in origin a hard K sound here makes perfect sense in Irish (there isn’t a letter K in the Irish alphabet so we have to make do ;-) )

in Lore

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

Ceara and Ciara are Irish in origin a hard K sound here makes perfect sense in Irish (there isn’t a letter K in the Irish alphabet so we have to make do ;-) )

That does make a whole lot more sense! Thanks for the information

mouth too blunt, truth too loud