Lost Shores Feedback Thread

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: coffeeisyum.5297

coffeeisyum.5297

I showed up for all three events, spent coutless time and in-game resources to travel around to find all events broken, bugged, or a lag fest.

Still stuck around having faith in this game, 2hrs 45 mins of a wipe fest, still there, dc’d at the last of the explosives, logged back in to some random overflow, to find out i just missed the chest, with everyone linking exoctics, rares, & precursors. I am pissed. So again explain to me why I should not complain. This should be interesting.

YAY! Another person that can’t read. I said in OP and several times on this first page that I UNDERSTAND COMPLAINING ABOUT DOING THE EVENT AND GETTING DISCONNECT AND MISSING OUT ON THE CHEST IS FRUSTRATING. I UNDERSTAND THIS. I WOULD COMPLAIN TOO. THIS IS NOT WHAT THE TOPIC OF THE POST IS ABOUT. kitten

(edited by coffeeisyum.5297)

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

To the OP.

You didn’t pay for my account, you are not my boss, stop issuing me commands!

in other words, GET STUFFED!

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: phantomdust.4729

phantomdust.4729

The fact is I MISSED OUT. Through no fault of my own. I dont see why i need to sacrifice more than Joe Everyday over in the US or Europe to attend the event. The game is meant to cater to everyone equally.

I can relate to this.

I was evacuated from my home on the east coast and missed a large portion of the Halloween event, through no fault of my own, and was disallowed from completing it.

Again, through no fault of my own. I’d probably feel differently about it if I weren’t a paying customer or didn’t have my life and property threatened, in that case.

I had a rather lengthy email discussion with tech support in which I was told that, even though they sympathized with my case, there was no way I’d ever be able to complete the content or have the associated rewards granted (including achievements). They implied some technical limitations, but I don’t believe them at all.

Response Via Email (Steven) 11/07/2012 05:59 PM
Hello again,

You are correct in your understanding of our response. At this time there is no way to complete the achievement as the necessary events have already ended and we are unable to award you the achievement. We’re sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you have any other issues or questions, please don’t hesitate to let us know!

Regards,

Steven – Guild Wars Support Team
http://support.guildwars2.com/
Customer By Email ([redacted]) 11/07/2012 01:59 PM
Okay, let me make sure I’m understanding what you’re saying.
There is no way to make this achievement up in the future; I’ve missed the opportunity, through no fault of my own, to complete this content. Additionally, there’s absolutely no way for this achievement to be granted retroactively (I’ve completed over 70% of the achievement already).

Is all this true?
I understand the bit about discontinuing the event; indeed, I didn’t ask for it to be reinstated, and the way you’re talking about this
makes it sound like the achievement cannot be [granted] without the event, which I find hard to believe.

Posted by: manaleak.8450

manaleak.8450

STOP BOSSING ME ON HOW I SHOULD FEEL!!

I have played MMO’s for 8+ years, this is the first time I have ever complained (on forums). Handing out 20 slot bags & some people reporting 2 precursors is not something you can get everywhere else, just the rune alone for that bag is 10g’s. So your opening statement is full of fail.

I showed up for all three events, spent coutless time and in-game resources to travel around to find all events broken, bugged, or a lag fest.

Still stuck around having faith in this game, 2hrs 45 mins of a wipe fest, still there, dc’d at the last of the explosives, logged back in to some random overflow, to find out i just missed the chest, with everyone linking exoctics, rares, & precursors. I am pissed. So again explain to me why I should not complain. This should be interesting.

I bet you were part of the same group of people crying about the Clock Tower. I dealt with the lag, and a few DC’s, then having to fish around on the forums for an overflow. Also, no, I didn’t get a precursor.

If you have been playing MMO’s for 8+ years, then you should not be complaining about this event and people getting precursors. RNG drops has been in MMO’s since day 1, if you have actually been into MMO’s for as long as you say you have, then why is this the first time you are complaining?

Also, technical hiccups are not unheard of. Yes, DC’ing and not getting back into the overflow was annoying, but if you’re going to brush off the chain event from the table because of this, then you shouldn’t be playing MMO’s. This entire event brought the GW2 community together, and just flat out being cooperative and friendly, from playing the game itself, to finding people on the forums to bring over and play with them.

Even with all of the tech problems, I still managed to complete the event and get the chest twice. If you couldn’t even get it once, then you didn’t try very hard.

Oh, I have seen proof that the jump puzzle in Eternal Battlegrounds drops precursors, too! We should complain about that too right?! TO THE WORLD VERSUS WORLD FORUMS!

Stop being a whiny, entitled brat and play the game for entertainment, not for ‘epic lewtz’.

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

This is why most MMO’s do 1 boring content update every 6 months. When they try to do something fun and exciting a small group of people just have to go and ruin it for everyone.

They announced this event 3 weeks in advance. They sent out emails, forum posts, facebook posts, twitter updates, etc.

If you didn’t attend the event it is your own fault not Anet’s. If it really meant that much to you then you would have planned it into your schedule. 3 weeks is more then enough time notice to plan these things. Most important events in real life don’t even get 3 weeks notice.

Wow…you have absolutely no idea.
First off, even if there’s weeks of announcements, it IS anet’s fault half the globe is missing such a huge event. They could have just made it timezone dependant. Make it happen, say, at noon on the american servers, and at noon (7 hours earlier) at european servers. I’m an european player playing in an american server (because my guild is there) and I had to stay up till 3am to finish this laggy event. And what do I get? A 70s worth harpoon gun skin I can’t even use because I’m a guardian. Ok, I have bad luck, I have to face it, though I’m not gonna say I’m not jealous since I’ve been working on my legendary over the past month and a half.
The problem is, yes it’s just “a game”, but for some people it can mean a lot much than you expect. I never played GW1 so my impression on anet is solely based on this game. I got the collector’s edition for starters, which means I paid almost 3 times what other paid for the game (of course this is entirely my decision), and I dedicate nearly all my time to this game since it’s nearly the only thing I have to keep me entertained. I’ve got some severe changes in my life this year and I’m pretty much living alone in a whole new city, which means I don’t know anyone, I’m away from my family and friends, and this is the only thing I have to spend my free hours to. Some hours of dedication and hard work towards a goal that’s just been randomly made easier for some just for the fact of being american (because of the timezones).
Yes I did loot the chest. And I’m happy with my 20 slot bag, and my ancient karka shell. You know why? Because everyone had their fair bet there. I could have dropped midway the event but decided to stay, laggy as it was, because I thought “I’m sure there’s a friggin’ awesome reward at the end. Maybe even an ascended gear”. Little did I know I would get a 70s harpoon gun which could barely pay for repairs and travels. 3 hours I could have otherwise, been farming as usual, and earn a lot more. Equal playtime value, my 4$$.
There’s just NO excuse for anet with this big failure. I’ve been getting a bad impression off them with how poorly managed this game is. A game where the rewards from doing the main quests (hearts) are lower than what you have to pay just for traveling. This is a bad design no matter what. Basing the game on the free market is a bad design. And mind you, not to brag about it, but I’m a game design student, and this is just wrong with everything I’ve been taught so far.
In all honestly, I AM jealous of those who got a precursor, like pretty much everyone else who says “I don’t mind”. It’s basic human psychology. From an objective point of view here tho, it’s not anet’s fault since after all precursors ARE exotics after all and thus you get a chance at every exotic roll. I’m just unlucky. But still, all this fuzz can be solved by just making this event happen in this area periodically (it’s a lvl 80 area after all, you HAVE to work to get in there), an area which doesn’t have too much to be done now anyway, so why not give players the chance of getting the ONLY rewarding loot roll there is in the game? Because dragon chests are a joke.
Ok, I gave my two cents, now back to farming for another 300 more hours to get those lodestones.

Posted by: Lilmatron.9516

Lilmatron.9516

You had jobs to do? Then quit your job and do what counts, get exotics in this event/game. Its a GAME, guys.

The issue for the people with jobs/RL places to be, is this: an event like defeating the ancient karka only happened once. There’s no reason why it can’t be repeated over a period of days, just like other special events (or even world events, like dragons). The Halloween event was spanned over a period of a week, and everyone had a chance to enjoy all aspects of it.

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

The entire concept of trying to reset precursor availibility with a time/access restrictive lottery was a stupid idea. Were you trying to add gasoline to an already raging fire?

Why not instead just have a lottery via the in game mail that gives equal chance to get precursors to every account?

Way to go in addressing the have/have-not issue in a fair manner Anet.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Lucky Thirteen X.4210

Lucky Thirteen X.4210

We feel that everyone should have the ability to contribute no matter what time of the day it is. How we’ve came to this conclusion is that no player’s time is more valuable than another. Everyone has different off peak hours for whatever reason. Players should not be punished or unable to experience and view the same content as everyone else because they play at a different time. They too are paying customers.

The above quote was taken from the WvW forums regarding “Night Capping” by Matt Witter (Game Designer, ANet). Please apply the same logic to World Events, especially if you’re giving out drops like legendary precursors. Please stop the “one-time” events tied to a specific time of day. There are lots of suggestions on this forum about how to get around it. Implement phasing on a character/account basis, let it run repeatedly for a week or a month, etc. The rest of us might not be playing during peak concurrency hours, but we’re paying customers too.

Thank you.

Oh snap. Caught them with their pants down!

Posted by: aspectacle.5301

aspectacle.5301

Made a value judgment based on previous ‘one time event’ rewards and decided not to participate and spent time with family instead. I’m fine with this.

I heard the reward was a 20 slot bag and a chance to win GW2 lotto – I’m a little disappointed. Consistency of reward value or clearer communication would have prevented this.

Learning the next day a bug would have allowed me to get this ‘one time event’ reward after I thought my opportunity had passed annoys me some. That such a bug was abused to enormous profit for some annoys me greatly. Here’s to hoping for a smoother event execution next time – where the one time event is truly one-time or that there is some way in which everyone who wants a chance at such a reward piñata can get it.

Posted by: Atticus.7194

Atticus.7194

One time events yea… they’re a bad idea, they really are. As a Developer one of your goals should be trying to allow as many players as possible access to the content you develop and including events that only launch one time only makes sure that there are going to be MANY players who couldn’t make these and feel excluded and disgruntled that they weren’t able to experience the game like other players.

Not only that but (for me personally) if I wanted to have to work a real life schedule around a game I would raid in World of Warcraft… many of us don’t want that and in fact had thought that the ability to just login and play was one of the things GW2 was trying to foster.

Posted by: asobinin.5467

asobinin.5467

This is exactly why you don’t put loot in events. At least the good ones. Just hand out everyone some useless commemoration to remember about the event, and attending the event itself should be enough. Players shouldn’t be lured to attend events with phat loot. The event itself should be rewarding enough.

Essentially, Anet dropped the bomb and created some huge disparity within the community. The unlucky ones will cry out loud, and the lucky ones will tell them to shut up. We don’t need this kind of bickering between the community Anet. What happened to those 24 hours event that repeated every few hours? At least that gave everyone a fairly large enough window to attend and have fun. And speaking of fun, you don’t need to impress us with “epic one time event” Anet. All we want is fun, and it is quite lacking from the events so far.

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

Not everyone got a precursor. Barely anyone did. Further, precursors now have a chance to drop elsewhere in game. Should everyone complain when people are fighting a world boss and someone gets lucking and gets a precursor?

One time events are what makes this game great. And, as a non subscription model game, offering 1 time events is an excellent way to motivate people to return to the game.

Anyone that does not make it to the event, still has a lot to experience- the event introduced a new zone, a new dungeon, new crafting, new armor- quite a bit of new. Every fan of the game gets the chance to experience more because of the event.

The event was ok, though several times I found myself pretty bored and would just set auto attack, and go do laundry/errands. It was tedious fighting the same impossibly slow to kill enemies for 2.5/3 hours just to get to a chest.

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

I agree with the OP, I find the one-time only, clock-based events to be unrealistically restrictive on a significant proportion of the playerbase (who may not be able to reschedule three days of their lives around the game and risk losing out on all the fun if they don’t), not to mention adding an unnecessary strain on the servers. Why not extend the time period, keep the ‘world-changing’ stuff to a cutscene or otherwise included in an instanced/phased/personal storyline setting? Why does it have to hit every player simultaneously or not at all?

The event did not fit in with the quoted design philosophy in any way.

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law

Lucky Thirteen X.4210

Why is everyone complaining about The Lost Shores event? I more than understand frustration caused by lag or disconnect problems and issues with looting. Perfectly good reason to complain. Also, constructive criticism about the actual event will be helpful in assuring quality for future events. Constructive criticism = good.

But I’m hearing so much rage about one-time events and how unfair they are. Before the event was over people were raging about the event The one-time events will happen again, so what if real-life got in the way? You realize you can go do a dungeon and get the same quality of loot for the time spent in the one-time event, right?

I have work. I missed the first two events. A few of my good friends missed the Sunday one. Guess what we did that night? We got on and did fractals. No one complained. No one raged. We all missed events and we’re OK with that and excited about possible future ones.

One-time events are NOT unfair. They are NOT mandatory. They do NOT give loot that you can’t get elsewhere. They do NOT give an achievement. They are NOT responsible for your choosing real life over a game.

No.

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I don’t agree with asking people to stop complaining just because you don’t feel any reason to complain and/or your experience was different then ours.

Posted by: Lilmatron.9516

Lilmatron.9516

Even with all of the tech problems, I still managed to complete the event and get the chest twice. If you couldn’t even get it once, then you didn’t try very hard.

I am shocked that you would say such a thing. Are you aware of how many people “tried very hard,” including myself, for 2+ hours and got disconnected; resulting in no loot? The motivation for participating in the event was that chest at the end, otherwise, why would anybody do it?

As for having fun: when more than two hours of someone’s time is wasted, it is no fun at all.

Posted by: Joukehainen.5148

Joukehainen.5148

It pains me to think that all the QQing could result in no more events like this and have them go away completely or turn into some cookie cutter “heart” quest. Please continue with the one time events. Maybe change the days they happen from time to time but don’t get rid of them.

Agreed!

Posted by: arabeth.2361

arabeth.2361

I had a good time, even having missed the middle part of the event. I liked the lore and the scavenger hunts and the cutscenes and all that stuff: very cool! I liked exploring and finding a new zone and the idea of a “relief” effort in the story (even if it gave junk items!). Overall I had fun.

The parts I didn’t like were the incredibly buggy events that were required for the scavenger hunts (which just seems crazy considering you knew thousands of people would be doing those events), and the massive lag/FPS drop/the old invisible enemies problem during the LA invasion and the last slog (also seems like poor planning on your part given you knew the entire zone would be in one tiny area the entire time). I’d suggest future events either split the zone populations even further (maybe 1/4 of what you had, and reduce the difficulty accordingly) or encourage people to spread out all over the zone somehow.

Making events one-time only does hurt. I was lucky enough to manage to be online during two out of three, but I would be frustrated if I had missed them. And while the final reward was amazing – easily the best reward I’ve gotten in the game by a longshot – it does feel a little diminished somehow to know that other people got effectively 100+ gold. Of course, the entire game is based on random chance, so I don’t know how it could be different.

Posted by: han.9042

han.9042

I stop reading after reading this part, “You realize you can go do a dungeon and get the same quality of loot for the time spent in the one-time event, right?”

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Not everyone got a precursor. Barely anyone did. Further, precursors now have a chance to drop elsewhere in game. Should everyone complain when people are fighting a world boss and someone gets lucking and gets a precursor?

One time events are what makes this game great. And, as a non subscription model game, offering 1 time events is an excellent way to motivate people to return to the game.

Anyone that does not make it to the event, still has a lot to experience- the event introduced a new zone, a new dungeon, new crafting, new armor- quite a bit of new. Every fan of the game gets the chance to experience more because of the event.

The event was ok, though several times I found myself pretty bored and would just set auto attack, and go do laundry/errands. It was tedious fighting the same impossibly slow to kill enemies for 2.5/3 hours just to get to a chest.

It’s not about getting the Precursor. It’s about the chance of getting one.

If you are able to participate, you get at least .000001% chance to get them. If you aren’t because of Timezone differences, you get 0% chance of getting them. Look at the number man, 0%.

At least give us a shot or don’t include those items that has a high impact on players – 20 slot bags, Precursors.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: CalvinHobbes.3541

CalvinHobbes.3541

So your experience was acceptable and therefore everyone else must have had an acceptable experience too? You want people to quit complaining unless it’s about disconnects, thus ignoring the time zone disparity which is the main disconnect of all? Whatever.

“It’s a magical world, Hobbes, ol’ buddy… Let’s go exploring!”

Posted by: Bhadur.4561

Bhadur.4561

Lots of good points made already and I personally would like to emphasis that events are great, but one specific time only is a bummer.

Posted by: AFRDZAK.4710

AFRDZAK.4710

I really enjoyed it.

The Scavenger Hunt was bugged for me, so I never got going with that.

Phase 2: I was in SoS before the “invasion” of LA. But once in SoS, the event chain was very fun; and watching the island get built was pretty sweet.

Phase 3 was epic. Laggy, hectic, long…but epic and a lot of fun.

Lucky Thirteen X.4210

Agreed. The game is currently 3 months old. That’s it. It’s still learning to walk.

I am content. I didn’t get to do the event, and that makes me sad, but you know what, ANet is doing just fine.

Communication needs to be buffed by a LOT by devs, and perhaps rewards for these events reworked, but this game is new and has intense potential.

Ok, true dat. But still many of us who were there and got nada are still rightfully annoyed.

Posted by: Goldberg.4831

Goldberg.4831

Seriously, thats your response, stop being a entitled brat. I ran these events with no expectations. Just to have fun. I dont need a one time event to be nice with the community or other players, I do that every time I log on. I understand RNG’s thats why I downed Sindragosa 20+ times for one shield, I never complained to the other unamed company. I also liked the clock tower, and I never completed it. And I didnt blame a Norn or Charr for not completing it. So thanks for your thoughts. I think you admitting you exploited the event tells me everything I need to know.

Posted by: glacialphoenix.3160

glacialphoenix.3160

I don’t think they should do this kind of three-hour one-time event again.

I’d consider Halloween 2012, as a whole, also a one-time event, and I loved that. I didn’t do some things that did give good loot (like the jumping puzzle), but it was a one-time event that gave everyone a chance to try their luck and get corresponding rewards. I mean, I missed out on an exotic from completing the puzzle, but I’m cool with that, because I got the chance to try and I decided not to after it got too frustrating for me.

I think that kind of one-time event is awesome and I’d love to see it again. Or if one-time meant your character could only do it once, like doing it in an instance and claiming the reward just once – but anyone could access that content at a time convenient to them. Spread it out over a few days so everyone can access it.

But the way this particular one-time event was handled… I just can’t see it being a good decision since people were upset by it the moment the schedules were announced, and the loot on top of that was just insult to injury.

Posted by: digitz.2701

digitz.2701

Man, I feel like I am in a preschool or something… “Oh see, he got a new toy and I didn’t! eeeewwww!” Grow up, it’s a game! I feel sorry for those that made time for the event, played it, had network issues and were denied their rewards! I really hope you guys get some love from ANet, but the rest of you should just get over it! What’s up with this “me me me me” mentality?! Be happy for others! Jeez!!

ps: no, I don’t have a “pre-whatever-it’s-called” and I wouldn’t know what to do with it if I did.

Lumi
Seafarer’s Rest Dimond Slacker [AR]

Posted by: drifter.8453

drifter.8453

To the OP, did you pay for my account? Well did you? I don’t think so. Just because you done dungeons and stuff, does that mean we ALL have to play the way you do?

I, meaning ME, paid MY 60$ not yours for MY game. I want MY 60$ worth, I don’t know about you.

That said:

If there are bugs, lags and other issues to the game, you bet your ars, I will voice the problems, so things get addressed. If it wasn’t for complainers, You would had paid 60$ for a buggy, laggy game, and I will bet, you will be in here complaining about it.

Ever here of BETA testers. They are all complainers, and they complain so YOU have a smooth less buggy lag free game upon release. If it wasn’t for complainers then aNet, NcSoft employees will be out of a job. Why have people on a payroll if they are doing nothing to fix the game?

Posted by: Strucker.8274

Strucker.8274

Everyone has an opinion, some may differ, you can try to express your opinion to others to allow them to understand your views and the reasons there of, this may help to enact change in the future.

But, I can assure you that posting hundreds of “QQ I didn’t get…” threads or any thread that is the basic equivalent of a temper tantrum does nothing but convey immaturity and only serves to distance others from what you may be trying to express.

Bottom line… either alot of adults are acting very immature, or alot of children have some serious trust issues…

I was one of 4 close friends online for the event, and I was the only one not to get a precursor, do I feel envious? yea, am I gonna QQ, quit the game and circulate a petition to destroy the very fabric which binds ANet together, probably not… just saying I’m all good with playing through 3 hours of lag and DC’s because I had fun which isn’t based on a loot table.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Yes! Make another 1 time event, this time, schedule it the opposite way. Schedule it so that westerners needs to wake up 4am to 5pm on Monday, and they have to go to school at 7am where they have their finals so that they should not skip and is required to go to school/work.

That’s how we felt. Feels like either we are robbed of the chance to join, or forced us to choose between impossible decisions (Work/School vs Game).

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Acerac.6428

Acerac.6428

I tend to work on weekends so one time only events serve no purpose to annoy me.

Food for thought.

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

Why does your experience invalidate everyone else’s experience?

Internet, basically.

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

i think they intend to have lot of events thats what the game was hyped around i believe the events are normally in place for new content like lost shores was introducing the karka and the new area and the dungeon and pvp map. So i expect to see plenty more. Annoying and seemed poorly executed least when they did it in LA was still fun and implemented nicely.

Posted by: Ravenblade.7685

Ravenblade.7685

[…]
One-time events are NOT unfair. They are NOT mandatory. They do NOT give loot that you can’t get elsewhere. They do NOT give an achievement. They are NOT responsible for your choosing real life over a game.

Your post won’t make people stop complaining. Just saying. I’d think the mods are taking care of postings which are not welcome anyway.

Also I am sure most people are aware of the voluntary nature of the event but same people have the power to tell other people outside of the game and may also remind themselves easier of said voluntary nature when the next event is about.

Siqqa, Asura Engineer

When I’m playing WvW I’m really playing LSD.

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

A holiday event is a one-time event as well, it’s just spread out over the course of several days. I really see no reason to chop that down to a single pocket of 6 hours when you have the capability to make it last for a reasonable length.

Unless you want to argue that the Mad King event wasn’t a one time event for whatever insane reason you can come up with. Sure it’s a holiday that’s repeated each year, but the event content itself is always unique and never to be seen again. I’m sure the only thing that will carry over from that is fighting the Mad King in some capacity.

You know that is a good point could have some kind of instanced that was repeatable true and I would bet they will have stuff like that at times. But I still feel there should be one time events. I even feel there should be one time surprise events. I remember hearing of stuff in EQ1 were the Guides would put on a event at a random time it was great even though I couldn’t do them all was cool to hear the stories. I did happen to catch one Guide event on EQ2 and it was fun and exciting.

I don’t think you understand. My post was in disagreement with your opening post. I think that one time events like this Ancient Karka battle are terrible for the long-term health of the game. Week-long holiday events, however, are not.

This is something that I’m glad ArenaNet has experimented with and (hopefully) learned from. I’m also glad that they’re doing it early enough to allow themselves some breathing room for future events, and so that they can feel out what the players want before we get too deep into things.

I believe that this event would have gone over much better if they had treated this similarly to the Mad King fight event. If they had simply dedicated all of Sunday to this event and put it on repeat (as in, have it last for 2 hours, 1 hour down time, repeat — 8 times during the day) and made it so that anyone could loot the end treasure box, but limit it so that the good rewards were only available the first time it’s looted and subsequent loots would give like, a few karka shells and passion fruit or something, then everyone would have had a fair shot to do it regardless of time zone.

The Mad King allowed you to fight him repeatedly, but his loot wasn’t as good in subsequent runs as it was the first time he was looted. To me, that’s the correct way to go about it, not this weird 2001 “one time only!” nonsense. Allow people who want to spend 12 hours on the event to spend 12 hours on the event, but only give them the exotic items once. SOLVED.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

I tend to work on weekends so one time only events serve no purpose to annoy me.

Food for thought.

yeah well not evertyone will make the events not all them what makes them unique and gives you bragging rights when you do actually make them i think they should do more unscheduled ones also just on the fly mini events would be nice and immersive similar to how they use to be done back in the old MUD days and eq1 days when gms did events.

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

People are just completely ignoring the intended point of this thread.

There is little in the OP that shows the player having an more positive experience than anyone else. The player missed the first two events, and isn’t going around complaining about it. However, like the OP had already stated, it is understandable if people attended the event but were not able to play it. Now you have every right to complain if that’s the case.

Instead, the OP is saying that people shouldn’t complain about one-time events as a whole. I don’t necessarily agree (because I think if people don’t like them, they should voice them), however I love one-time events (even those I couldn’t attend).

I hope ANet continues these events, but tests them to the last second of release until they are close to perfect… Lag is somewhat understandable, albeit frustrating, but DC’s and NPC bugs need to fixed before release. People are always going to have something to complain about, it’s life. Complaining about those complainers won’t help though, haha.

Posted by: Littlefeather.8623

Littlefeather.8623

I feel a part of the problem is from the rewarding system with events. I enjoyed the 3 hour event, I did not get a precursor but thats fine. I do however see a problem with some one spending a good amount of time (from start to finish) and the most effort you can push out for 3 hours straight receiving the same rewards as some one who shows up a few minutes prior to chest drop or has been auto attacking the whole time.

I think event rewards should be given based on effective dynamic actions and their affect on other players and and mobs.

I did two events, one on my main, one on an alt. My main was always frontline, tanking what I could and healing myself and other players around me.

My alt however (Ranger) could not do much as I was in the back doing some damage and ressing players but not nearly as use full as my main is.

How is it my alt has the possibility to receive on par or better items than my main?

Crazy Leg

Acerac.6428

It seems that I just don’t get to participate in these one time events typically. Yesterday I was able to because I was home sick but that was the exception and not the rule.

Acerac.6428

Well if they’re going to consistently be at noon on weekends I will never be able to make them unless I happen to be sick.

Instead of bragging rights I’ll just be annoyed with GW2 every time one is announced. That is not fun.

Posted by: Quickhit.3620

Quickhit.3620

Lets start positive.I embrace all the new stuff and I am grateful.Loved the new instance/zone/puzzle everything.

However,the bugs that were never fixed and the constant lag were the WORST experience in the game SO FAR.Not only I couldnt attent the event due to lag but I couldnt even play the game due to it as well.There was lag all over tyria which I think its unnacceptable.Manage better your servers!Do more testing idk do smth.As the days were passing the lag was becoming unbearable.Not allowed
Not to mention the unfair rewards that a 1 time should NOT give.Anyways, thats the least.

All in all, I hope a lesson has been taught to you Anet,and I hope you will not repeat the same mistakes in the future.Forgiven since its the first time.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

We feel that everyone should have the ability to contribute no matter what time of the day it is. How we’ve came to this conclusion is that no player’s time is more valuable than another. Everyone has different off peak hours for whatever reason. Players should not be punished or unable to experience and view the same content as everyone else because they play at a different time. They too are paying customers.

The above quote was taken from the WvW forums regarding “Night Capping” by Matt Witter (Game Designer, ANet). Please apply the same logic to World Events, especially if you’re giving out drops like legendary precursors. Please stop the “one-time” events tied to a specific time of day. There are lots of suggestions on this forum about how to get around it. Implement phasing on a character/account basis, let it run repeatedly for a week or a month, etc. The rest of us might not be playing during peak concurrency hours, but we’re paying customers too.

Thank you.

Yeah, what more can be said, they need to apply this to PvE as well, especially the one time events.

Posted by: DownyTif.2140

DownyTif.2140

I’m for One-Time-Events. It makes them special, epic somehow. Everybody have real-life things to do (well… I hope) and if I miss an event because of real-life, well too bad. It’s a GAME.

It’s like any events in real-life. You love american football and the Superbowl is your religion? Well, if you have real-life things to do at the same time, too bad for you, you will miss it. It won’t go in loops.

Oh and Lost Shore was free…

EDIT: I would do something for the timezones though because the player base is not in one specific country, but worldwide.

Fenris Snowborn – 80 Guardian
MadCast Gaming [MCG] [SoR]

(edited by DownyTif.2140)

Mimir.4690

Hey all! (tl;dr at end)

I may be in the minority on this, but I’ll express my opinion nonetheless.

The lag was frustrating, the loot is frustrating, the DCs, the bugs… There were plenty of things to be frustrated over, but for me, none of them were game breaking. I will, and still am, going to play this game normally and I will enjoy it.

However, as became evident in both this event and previous experiences, communication between ANet and us (the community) is sincerely ruining my experience with this company. No, I won’t quit playing the game because of it, but it is something that really bothers me.

First, twitter. I do not want to go to twitter or reddit for the most recent updates on things that need to be fixed. Sure, I understand the convenience for some, but for people like me (I don’t use twitter, reddit, and I barely check facebook) I want to find that information on the official website. That should be an absolute no-brainer. Also, redirecting us to an incomplete wiki page is not helpful.

Second, when there are 20+ threads on one specific topic (such as phase 2 and how late it was starting), respond immediately. You guys have moderators specifically for this forum, and responding to one of those threads (or posting an announcement) would only take a few seconds. If not, I understand 5 minutes or so. But making us wait 30 minutes with no clear idea as to what’s going on is just frustrating. Because for some servers, what you guys said should have been happening wasn’t (and that’s just confusing). Future clarification in a more timely manner would be wonderful.

Lastly (although I’m sure there are more, but I don’t want to get in trouble), please tell us what is going on. This is my biggest request – please tell us why this event failed. I know a lot of aren’t programmers, but a lot of us are smart enough to understand why you guys weren’t prepared for the servers. There are realistic speculations (free trial caused more players than expected, etc.) but I want to hear from you guys. And I would love to hear if you guys are going to continue one-time events, and if you are how are going to ensure that this won’t happen again? You need to restore our faith. You have my loyalty to the game itself, but I may not attend future one-time events if they don’t improve. Also, when things like this happen (although I’m sure this is a stretch of a request) admit that it did. Please don’t ignore all the lag. Explain it, because I want to know what happened and how you plan on fixing it.

Thank you for such a great game!

tl;dr: Basically, communicate with us what’s going on. Respond faster when the same question is being asked 20+ times on the forum, use your official website to release these types of announcements, and please tell us what happened this weekend and what you plan to do for future events.

Posted by: Bregah.7365

Bregah.7365

Feed back I had from other threads that apparently have disappeared.

1 – One time events really need to work the ONE TIME they run (most of phase 1, phase 2 in Lion’s Arch).

2 – Stop using Twitter, Facebook and the forums as a replacement for providing information in-game via a quest log, mail or even just an announcement.

3 – When you DO use those sources to post information, it’d be nice if that information was accurate and clear (Noll bug and the removal of other Phase 1 events but not Noll was very unclear).

4 – Design content around the limitations of your engine, especially with regards to CULLING. You guys have posted multiple times that you are aware of it, that you don’t like it, and that you’d like to fix it somehow. Don’t design content under the premise that it IS fixed, because it’s not.

Phase 3 was awful. A culled lag-fest. I did DC during the event, but it was early and I was able to get back in. But it was never, during the event, what I would call “fun” due to lag, invisible mobs and poison pools – and therefore invisible deaths. 30 people dying at the same time to a move by a mob they simply cannot see is not challenging. But I was able to loot the chest so I didn’t feel like my time was completely wasted – however many weren’t.

5 – Have contingencies for when things fail/don’t be so stuck on a very rigid timeline.

6 – The FotM dungeon is fun – but the DC issue needs to be fixed – it really does. Four straight groups were disbanded last night (for me) because someone DC’d at some point. Pretty much a wasted 90 minutes (including spamming for replacements).

7 – The FotM dungeon is fun – but please fix issues associated with getting stuck in the geometry (primarily doors). I got my guardian stuck in the door you explode in the Dredge dungeon – after the door exploded. I’ve had my mesmer stuck in multiple things (start of the Blizzard boss fight – not sure if intentional or not – but I suspect it has a lot to do with the “2” staff skill’s teleport back).

8 – FotM shows you guys need to add an LFG tool that’s cross server. 15 people LFG late last night in LA (main server no overflow), and it was over 30 minutes before any group was formed, due to everyone on different levels. I’m willing to bet there were dozens if not hundreds across all servers that would have helped, but since we are limited to 1 zone LFG spam, none of us could contact any of them, and since it was late, our LA was never going to offer an overflow to move to.

9 – The new zone seems half finished. By that I mean that no vistas, few standard events, no karma merchant, not much besides the new crafting mats and jumping puzzles. There’s no completion chart (not that there’s much to complete), so it doesn’t feel like a “real” zone in the game. It’s much less annoying to both look at and navigate than Orr – but there’s really nothing to navigate “to”.

10 – Gear treadmills are bad (for many of us). I can’t wait until the playerbase is divided by gear.

eisberg.2379

I’m fine with one-time events. In fact I’d like to see more of them. I know it sucks if you can’t make it, but that’s life…

For some reason I doubt you’d have the same opinion if the event started at 5am GMT on a Monday.

Only you don’t know my circumstances, and you’re wrong.

The reality is there is no perfect time for everyone to do this stuff… so the choice becomes NEVER do this stuff, or do this stuff and accept that not everyone will be able to take part.

One-time events are preferable to never seeing the world change.

It’s not like those are the only 2 options though. One time events are fine, but they can be ran at different times for different time zones. Yes this means America gets to see content first, but at least everyone gets a more reasonable chance to join in.

I’m GMT and I managed to participate in all 3 evenings, but I think anyone much further east of me really was hard done by.

These things should have been thought about and implemented in advance of being released, it’s not like this is the first MMO and this sort of thing hasn’t been seen before, other MMOs manage it better. Same in terms of being able to hand out items to players when they do rollbacks etc, been done for years in other MMO, vital to the game when you have so many rollbacks and people being cheated out of hours, but it’s all reactionary and coming soon but not soon enough.

Except that in this case, having them happen one time is the ONLY way they make sense.

Unless you have a good in-world explanation for how a lighthouse can be destroyed, re-built, and destroyed again twelve times in a day? Or how about the massive amounts of destruction that were necessary to drive the ancient karka back into his lair?

Face it, sometimes having something happen ONCE is the only way it’s going to make sense. You can rationalize it as being all about the players and maybe that’s fair to say, but you can’t possibly rationalize it from any sort of in-the-world sense. And that’s precisely why they’re doing one-time events in the first place: to make changes to the world that people can witness and say “I was there”.

You’re not always going to be present when one-time events happen in real life, I don’t know why you’d insist on always being able to show up for one-time events in a fantasy world either. What, because it’s fantasy doesn’t mean it has to be realistic? One of the few things going for this game still is its realistic and life-like world.

It’s also one of the only promises in their Manifesto that I’ve seen them sticking to: a world that changes based on the players, and STAYS changed rather than the big bad boss respawning every hour. I wouldn’t ask them to change this because I’d be asking them to do precisely what every other MMO does, and they’re already getting too similar to other MMOs for my tastes.

Soo, you would be ok if they decide to make events happen at 3 am in the morning then? right?

Posted by: Ighten Hill.5038

Ighten Hill.5038

WHy dont they simply put the tweets on a news window on the front page.

Mimir.4690

WHy dont they simply put the tweets on a news window on the front page.

That would be such an easy way! At least, for that one issue that I have. It’s not a huge deal (and it is me being somewhat picky), but I think it should be done. It’s more professional.

Posted by: Never.6014

Never.6014

I missed the rewards, too. I suppose I should tell myself that it sucks to be unlucky.

Tell Anet’s boss what you think: http://tinyurl.com/arkgzku

eisberg.2379

I’m for One-Time-Events. It makes them special, epic somehow. Everybody have real-life things to do (well… I hope) and if I miss an event because of real-life, well too bad. It’s a GAME.

It’s like any events in real-life. You love american football and the Superbowl is your religion? Well, if you have real-life things to do at the same time, too bad for you, you will miss it. It won’t go in loops.

Oh and Lost Shore was free…

Except for if Arenanet always have the events during prime time, there will be a vast majority of players who will never see these types of events, ever. A minority actually plays during the prime time, not the majority. It is about 20-30% of the player base that actually plays during the prime time, which means that the other 70-80% don’t even get to participate. It is only prime time because you get 20-30% playing on the same 4 hour period, where as the 70-80% are playing in the other 20 hours at various times (can be averaged out to 4% playing each hour during the 20 hours of non prime time)