A Concerned Fan - What Happened to GW2?

in Living World

Posted by: Talon.5462

Talon.5462

There is no hatred in this post. Only concern. I was deeply in love with GW2 and eagerly anticipated its launch. I had been anticipating seven years of fun with it just like I had in GW1. Alas, my interest is already fading.

Playing GW2 is becoming a chore more than a fun experience. The stories make me roll my eyes rather than perk up in interest. This makes me very sad.

It was with great joy that I awaited GW2. With Tyria’s rich lore and the new races.

The dragons were a threat and we dealt a blow but the threat isn’t over.

I do appreciate that there are other things going on in Tyria, I do but with such a rich world it seems a bit of a cop out to have EVERYTHING be scarlet.

I would be just as discouraged if ALL we heard about were the dragons. Variety is the spice of life.

Now, I acknowledge that perhaps all this slow reveal of Scarlet being behind everything (and that’s not a spoiler because it’s so bloody obvious based on history) may be leading up to some big revelation and great story point but the path there is repetitive and dull.

As an aside, the living story updates became so frequent that they provided new content very often but for someone with not a lot of play time it became a bit like ADD. Here’s new content, no wait go look at this, quick something else!

And I missed out on completing achievements for some living story components as they seem to close upon every second piece of content.

The living story events up until the Nightmare Tower are generally grind fests. I find this discouraging.

I have actually given up on trying to do them. It’s just tedious and dull for me. Each living story seemed like just a reskin of the previous. The krait and toxic are molten alliance with a new coat of paint.

Close the portals, kill the blooms.

The gauntlet of the tower is a nice change though I find it also repetitive to get to the end point being stuck in those long champion battles.

My major concern is that it feels as though the rich lore of the world is being ignored and GW2 has simply become Scarlet’s playground.

If it needs to be Scarlet, so be it, but I wish that the story had more depth. That there was more link to the existing world. It all feels very self-contained and that nothing we do matters right now.

The fights are also falling back on old habits. The anomaly in the Thaumanova fractal story instance had SO much health. The fight mechanics started out interesting but quickly became tedious and boring.

I was logging in every day. Now I am lucky to feel the desire once per week.

Please don’t let GW2 become mediocre.

I am not unappreciative of the work you all do. I also know that I could definitely not do it better. But I do know that I am not finding this game fun anymore and I hope that can change.

Unlike last year, if an expansion were released tomorrow I fear that I would not be inclined to buy it.

Finding even five people online in my guild to do a dungeon or more interesting content is nearly impossible right now so I suspect I am not alone.

But if I am, then the problem is mine. But if it am not, I could not forgive myself for staying silent while the world withers.

(edited by Talon.5462)

in Living World

Posted by: Cotheer.2806

Cotheer.2806

I’ve been spending more and more time in WvW and though it gets repetitive, it’s way better and more fun than the laundry list LS has turned GW2 into.
I dunno, i’ve come to the point of contemplating hard before logging in, and that in my experience eventually leads to one thing, uninstall.

Maybe it’s me, but the game lost its “umph”.

in Living World

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

I’ve been spending more and more time in WvW and though it gets repetitive, it’s way better and more fun than the laundry list LS has turned GW2 into.
I dunno, i’ve come to the point of contemplating hard before logging in, and that in my experience eventually leads to one thing, uninstall.

Yeah is not that the content is bad or something like that.. Is just that is not an MMO designed to last for years to come, but rather something that will offer you fun time for 1-2 years max…

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

in Living World

Posted by: angelpaladin.7921

angelpaladin.7921

Yeah is not that the content is bad or something like that.. Is just that is not an MMO designed to last for years to come, but rather something that will offer you fun time for 1-2 years max…

I was pretty much thinking this my self. Living story looks good on paper but 2 year’s down the road what do you have to show for it?? Bunch of content that has come and gone. Then there is the lore its self being ignored one thing that has servered blizzard so well was the lore in the World of Warcraft universe. Pretty much the first few games had Warcraft series that had been out for years to build on. I dont see why Anet cant do the same with the original GW1.

in Living World

Immensus.9732

It was uploaded few hours ago, i found it interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLydkYKVKjw

in Living World

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I don’t even want to get involved in this thread due to my immense loathing for the living story, however I feel a sense of duty to fight the good fight.

I agree with everything. The content patches, on the majority, are grind fests. Grind your way through a boring story, arc’d around a horribly written villain, for new skins and new minis. Lame and boring.

Fractured is an example of an update that is really good. It took a piece of the game, upgraded it and gave you a reason to participate in it again. Good work.

Another update should do the same to ALL dungeons, revamping the boss mechanics and fix the dungeons so that the mobs do not stop following you until you kill them(thus removing the desire of running through a dungeon past every mob to the boss). Revamp the boss mechanics, as you said you were going to but have not done so yet.

Another update should be on the world bosses…Teq 2.0 was ambitious, but no one does it anymore. Its overtuned. 80 people is a bit much. Nerf it, and change up the mechanics of the rest of the world bosses instead of throwing more HP into the mix.

Another update could focus on WvW and some how encouraging more havoc squads and less blobbing around.

Another update could focus on giving us reasons to play in all zones, any zones that we want instead of funneling us into one LS zone and Queensdale.

Its not hard to think of meaningful things to focus on. Living Story should not be one of them.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

in Living World

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I think ANet deserves a little more credit.

I think they expected the community to embrace horizontal progression and instead they got a lot of “there’s nothing to doooooo” whining.

They have, in my opinion, been reeling ever since.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Living World

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

The living story and one time events killed it for me tbh.
I still play gw 2 but only for wvw,
Not sure how long i can keep that up though.

in Living World

Posted by: Sanarian.9614

Sanarian.9614

I think they expected the community to embrace horizontal progression and instead they got a lot of “there’s nothing to doooooo” whining.

Hardly. They put in Ascended Gear in November 2012. They would’ve had it in production long before that. It wasn’t some drop of that hat move, it was a calculated decision on their part.

Sanarian [ME] | Thief | Blackgate

in Living World

Posted by: Stalima.5490

Stalima.5490

The truth is Anet has no idea what they’re doing:

• They wanted e-sports, it went down the drain
  • They wanted a personalised story, there’s a thread in which many people say they abandoned their story mid way and never bothered with it again
  • With Scarlet they show that their writing skills are borrowed from fanfic.net
  • Ascended gear turns this into a stat-chase-for-progress game just to appease to the people that grind and farm (don’t even start that “The Manifesto doesn’t mean jack!” and “They’ve intended it from the very start just never told us about it or said it in cryptic riddles because you’re supposed to guess after the meaning of words!”)
  • And all new players will get to hear is “You’ve missed this and this and this and this and this and that, but don’t worry, it wasn’t particularly interesting (for the most part)”

So where are we going? What is to become? Where are the bloody blasted dragons for Rurik’s sake? Where are the new skills we were told would be introduced?
I don’t know, I honestly don’t.
And it worries me.

but i like my new antitoxinspray that ive never used properly

in Living World

Posted by: Phillip.6485

Phillip.6485

I think if Ascended gear were ultra rare drops from veterans and elites, that will mask the grind.

ANet’s big mistake was turning on the grind. Ascended gear will be exposed as beyond grindy and most folks aren’t into that sort of thing. The problem with this company is they listen to the loud minority and this is what you get.

The stuff to make things interesting are mounts and housing. There’s a need to make Tyria a home in an alternate universe instead of some grindy, gear chasing zergfest.

in Living World

Posted by: aesir.8503

aesir.8503

To be honest I quit playing quite a while back. The living story stuff is not attracting me back to the game so far. I do not know if its timing or what but I do not find myself willing to devote heavy blocks of time to play during one.

in Living World

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

It’s business.

Unlike GW1 which was a truly unique and beautiful game, this game is very similar to every other of it’s genre on the market. While this game beats all it’s competition on the current market, it probably won’t beat future releases. Wildstar and EverQuest Next are taking the best features from this game and launching with a engine not nearly as restrictive.

The game is on the descent and is only going to bleed more players as time passes. They understand that and that’s why they’re trying to make as much money as they can now. Any major update that the players want is not going to happen. They’d never recoup their investment back.

It’s not anyone’s fault, it’s just how this genre operates these days. MMOs get about a one year life cycle where they try to make as much money as possible before shoveling up and going on life support.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

in Living World

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

The truth is Anet has no idea what they’re doing:

but i like my new antitoxinspray that ive never used properly

Complimentary obligatory ‘2013 adding new skills’ post. I don’t see much else happening in December, other than somehow expecting Scarlet will be shoehorned into Wintersday.

Such truth on the “What did I miss?” other than the feeling of ‘Oh, i’ve gotta do this grindy uninteresting content so I can get a recipe just so I won’t be price gouged on the BLTC if I ever want one for the rest of forever because, as shown in Fractals, rewards never come back.

It just feels like an endless cycle of: Make content, remove content, Re-add content, remove or reduce rewards, players ignore or begrudgingly suffer through content, get-meta-get-out, players wait for new content.

Halloween, SAB, Fractals…. probably Wintersday…

Edit: I really really love SAB, but I recognize other people saw trib mode and the nerf to baubles and just walked away for the month.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

in Living World

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

The stuff to make things interesting are mounts and housing. There’s a need to make Tyria a home in an alternate universe instead of some grindy, gear chasing zergfest.

I’m not so sure about the mounts, but I’ll agree with the rest of that statement.

Sadly, I don’t think they can do it. And it will hurt them.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Living World

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The community did embrace horizontal progression. The “nothing to do” posts didn’t start until after people got their “looks,” which didn’t take that long. ANet grossly underestimated the amount of skins needed to fuel a cosmetic endgame. Also, transmute stones encourage the adoption of a single “look” for a character. A wardrobe feature would have encouraged people to pursue multiple sets of cosmetics.

I’m happy to give them credit for innovations like the elimination of ninja-ing nodes, the elimination of kill-stealing, and marvelous things like “Deposit all collectibles.” However, the “cosmetic endgame” was not their finest hour.

in Living World

Immensus.9732

It’s business.

Unlike GW1 which was a truly unique and beautiful game, this game is very similar to every other of it’s genre on the market. While this game beats all it’s competition on the current market, it probably won’t beat future releases. Wildstar and EverQuest Next are taking the best features from this game and launching with a engine not nearly as restrictive.

The game is on the descent and is only going to bleed more players as time passes. They understand that and that’s why they’re trying to make as much money as they can now. Any major update that the players want is not going to happen. They’d never recoup their investment back.

It’s not anyone’s fault, it’s just how this genre operates these days. MMOs get about a one year life cycle where they try to make as much money as possible before shoveling up and going on life support.

Your theory makes total sense, and if you consider the fact that Wildstar and Gw2 are Ncsoft then you realizing what is happening…

in Living World

angelpaladin.7921

I think if Ascended gear were ultra rare drops from veterans and elites, that will mask the grind.

ANet’s big mistake was turning on the grind. Ascended gear will be exposed as beyond grindy and most folks aren’t into that sort of thing. The problem with this company is they listen to the loud minority and this is what you get.

We have ultra rare drops there called precursor’s and they don’t drop enough. I have played over 2000hr’s and gotten one (bolt) from the mystic forge.

in Living World

angelpaladin.7921

It’s business.

I would agree with that if they didn’t plan to launch in Asia next year. I think right now there just putting fillers in so that way once the game does release in Asia they can have all the markets on the same page when it comes to updates and content.

in Living World

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

The community did embrace horizontal progression. The “nothing to do” posts didn’t start until after people got their “looks,” which didn’t take that long. ANet grossly underestimated the amount of skins needed to fuel a cosmetic endgame. Also, transmute stones encourage the adoption of a single “look” for a character. A wardrobe feature would have encouraged people to pursue multiple sets of cosmetics.

I’m happy to give them credit for innovations like the elimination of ninja-ing nodes, the elimination of kill-stealing, and marvelous things like “Deposit all collectibles.” However, the “cosmetic endgame” was not their finest hour.

I think this is one of the best summaries of what went wrong with this game.
They forgot where the strengths of the game are and instead ended up trying to solve a problem with the wrong tools.
I’ll use DCUO as an example. Before that became all about gear grind and score, I was more than happy tooling around the world picking up clues and completing race challenges. The reason being, this unlocked more cosmetic items that I could then access at any time and make a really unique looking character.
There’s your progression right there.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

in Living World

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Way too much to talk about in your post i will only hit some major points (ppl have got to keep is smaller there views or your just simply talking to ppl who want to hear there own point of view over and over).
GW1 was a major farming game for the top end looks to the point where every one had a bot and Anet allowed them to use these bots.

If you want things done right you must wait so if you want the dragon to be a 1 day event like some of the LS can be then its going to take some time. Just look at how long it took for one dragon PS that not completed yet took about what 5 years ish?

The LS as is are not bad in that there is new content for ppl to play its just most ppl do not think about story when it comes to these games that just how mmorpg players are.

Over all your talking about one small part of the game GW2 is a great deal more then just the LS and they add in more things then just related to the LS. GW2 in comparison to other mmorpg is one of the most rewarding due to personal loot and nodes you just do not get that in other mmorpgs.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Living World

Posted by: Talenna.4052

Talenna.4052

The community did embrace horizontal progression. The "nothing to do" posts didn’t start until after people got their "looks," which didn’t take that long. ANet grossly underestimated the amount of skins needed to fuel a cosmetic endgame. Also, transmute stones encourage the adoption of a single "look" for a character. A wardrobe feature would have encouraged people to pursue multiple sets of cosmetics.

I’m happy to give them credit for innovations like the elimination of ninja-ing nodes, the elimination of kill-stealing, and marvelous things like "Deposit all collectibles." However, the "cosmetic endgame" was not their finest hour.

I would visit all corners of Tyria, constantly, for the option for new armour and weapon skins. But with my bank filling up with armour pieces, there is little point. We need an appearance/wardrobe system to store all the skins.

If housing and guild halls were added, I’d also spend time collecting crafting materials and doing quests to learn a recipe to weave a specific rug or to add a picture to my gallery. I’d then spend a lot of time decorating a house and guild hall.

I played SWG until it closed, three things kept me there, the awesome RP adventures we had, the crafting system and tweaking the decorations in my houses. I loved the seasonal events that had items as rewards that we could drop anywhere in our houses.

I have to say that I’m still quite enjoying the Living Story and have faith that we are yet to be suprised with Scarlet’s reasons and why she is the centre of the story. However, I would have preferred it if the LS was around the dragons. One dragon a year would guarantee six years of story. But would players then be complaing: "Oh no not ANOTHER dragon LS!"?

in Living World

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Way too much to talk about in your post i will only hit some major points (ppl have got to keep is smaller there views or your just simply talking to ppl who want to hear there own point of view over and over).
GW1 was a major farming game for the top end looks to the point where every one had a bot and Anet allowed them to use these bots.

If you want things done right you must wait so if you want the dragon to be a 1 day event like some of the LS can be then its going to take some time. Just look at how long it took for one dragon PS that not completed yet took about what 5 years ish?

The LS as is are not bad in that there is new content for ppl to play its just most ppl do not think about story when it comes to these games that just how mmorpg players are.

Over all your talking about one small part of the game GW2 is a great deal more then just the LS and they add in more things then just related to the LS. GW2 in comparison to other mmorpg is one of the most rewarding due to personal loot and nodes you just do not get that in other mmorpgs.

I don’t even know what you’re saying, but your bot assertion was a real gem. Also, I’d much rather grind for cosmetics than grind for BiS like now.

in Living World

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Just compare gw1 plot line with gw2. The Searing – we actually had an story event that was so huge it affected half of Tyria, and it was happening in present time. Later it became part of lore, missions we played became integral part of lore and it was still great piece of Tyria’s history!

Now look at personal story and living story…what part of living story will later become awesome part of Tyria’s lore? Scarlet? Lets be honest, personal story could sound good in scald tales. Heroes went on campaign to starve and weaken elder dragon and defeat him. Except few low moments in story, some lousy characthers and bad dragon fight at end, story itself is not so bad.

On other hand, how will Scarlet story sound as lore in a year or two? “We had a gremlin problem, Scarlet was her name-o! She was pesky and caused few minor problems around Tyria but nothing heroes couldn’t remedy…” Even if all this is build-up for something bigger its not leaving that impression on me, i just can’t see her as major threat to world. Making futile alliances for some behind-the-scene schemes and causing minor problems on some locations while doing it is not what lore of magical place like Tyria is supposed to be.
I beleve that world should be moved by major events that leave heroes to deal with aftermats, like dragon awakening, rise of Orr,The Searing, Abbadon threat, etc. World shouldn’t be moved by slow build-up (1 year of nothing) to some major threat that could shake the world but heroes stops it.

in Living World

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

Well they were right. There IS nothing to do.

And there’s no horizontal progression either. The only way to change your looks is with a cash-exclusive item, and that change is permanent. You choose your looks and you’re done. There’s no progression.

So now chasing shinies is completely pointless – not only do they not give you better stats, they won’t give you new looks either.

And without chasing shinies, what else is there to do? Press 1 or ten different kinds of drakes that press 1 on you? Explore featureless green plains for the sake of exploring featureless green plains? Really, what do you do in the open world? Nothing. This would be a death sentence to any game.

in Living World

kRiza krimos.1637

Well they were right. There IS nothing to do.

And there’s no horizontal progression either. The only way to change your looks is with a cash-exclusive item, and that change is permanent. You choose your looks and you’re done. There’s no progression.

So now chasing shinies is completely pointless – not only do they not give you better stats, they won’t give you new looks either.

And without chasing shinies, what else is there to do? Press 1 or ten different kinds of drakes that press 1 on you? Explore featureless green plains for the sake of exploring featureless green plains? Really, what do you do in the open world? Nothing. This would be a death sentence to any game.

I totally agree.
This game needs more content with high replay value. World is large and empty, and herding players to different location every 2 weeks isn’t doing trick.

in Living World

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

Talon, you’re not the only one with concerns about these things. Take a tour of the forums and you will find a great many threads that start with posts like yours (though few as polite or as useful as yours).

Here’s the thing: ANet is aware of the concerns of the player base. The issues you bring up in your thread are the same issues brought up in the other few hundred threads just like it. Here is what ANet is doing to address these concerns:

1. They started the Collaborative Development initiative. It’s still pretty new, but it opened up new channels of back-and-forth communication between players and developers. ANet has been very responsive to the posts players make in CD threads. And not just company PR people, but several different department heads and key developers of the game.

2. ANet has acknowledge that the players have legitimate concerns and are very interested in what players think needs to be improved. They have acknowledged that some of the things they have done haven’t worked out as well as they’d hoped, and they are working to improve things going forward.

3. GW2 isn’t about Scarlet. Scarlet is just the story du jour. At some point her story will end, and we will move on to the next thing. Based on forum activity, I expect the “next thing” will involve Dragons. We’ll see. For now, though, ANet dev resources are committed to the Scarlet arc, and we’ll need to see it through to the end. Who knows — maybe they’ve got a cool reveal in store that will change our minds about the whole Scarlet thing.

In short, ANet hears you, and they’re working towards a fix. Myself, I share your concerns but have stopped getting all worked up over it. Mostly I’m just curious to see what ANet does about it. I still have great hope in GW2, but I know that it can take months before some of the fixes start to show up in game.

So I’m patiently, curiously, watching the skies…

And… ya know… these forums.

in Living World

Posted by: Soul.5947

Soul.5947

All things you pointed out are true but the fact that i can’t find any other mmo out there to play atm is keeping me here. When i will find another mmo with no trinity and no old fashioned quest system i am out of here, until then i am switching between pvp and pve looking for something that doesn’t annoy me.

in Living World

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

This happened and it’s taken centre stage.

Attachments:

in Living World

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

Now look at personal story and living story…what part of living story will later become awesome part of Tyria’s lore? Scarlet? Lets be honest, personal story could sound good in scald tales. Heroes went on campaign to starve and weaken elder dragon and defeat him. Except few low moments in story, some lousy characthers and bad dragon fight at end, story itself is not so bad.

A funny thing is that I missed the entire Southsun hassle, but when I came to speak to Kiel after the Dragonbash terrorist attack she congratulated me on helping to solve the refugee crisis…

1. They started the Collaborative Development initiative. It’s still pretty new, but it opened up new channels of back-and-forth communication between players and developers. ANet has been very responsive to the posts players make in CD threads. And not just company PR people, but several different department heads and key developers of the game.

There has already been a dialogue and player feedback, it was pioneered by Josh Foreman and met with much enthusiasm by the community.. Until Anet smothered all of it and restricted him from further forum posting under threat of being fired.
Feel free to screenshot this post, it will be removed soon by Big Brother.

3. GW2 isn’t about Scarlet.

Really? It has been for the past 10 months, out of the game’s 15 month lifespan.
That’s 66%

in Living World

kRiza krimos.1637

A funny thing is that I missed the entire Southsun hassle, but when I came to speak to Kiel after the Dragonbash terrorist attack she congratulated me on helping to solve the refugee crisis…

10,000 BE: Last of the Giganticus Lupicus, the Great Giants, disappear from the Tyrian
continent.
205 BE: Humans appear on the Tyrian continent.
100 BE: Humans drive the charr out of Ascalon.
1 BE: The Human Gods give magic to the races of Tyria.
0 AE: The Exodus of the Human Gods.
2 AE: Orr becomes an independent nation.
300 AE: Kryta established as a colony of Elona.
358 AE: Kryta becomes an independent nation.
898 AE: The Great Northern Wall is erected.
1070 AE: The Charr Invasion of Ascalon. The Searing.
1071 AE: The Sinking of Orr.
1072 AE: Ascalonian refugees flee to Kryta.
1075 AE: Kormir ascends into godhood.
1078 AE: Primordus, the Elder Fire Dragon, stirs but does not awaken. The asura
appear on the surface. The Transformation of the Dwarves.
1080 AE: King Adelbern of Ascalon recalls the Ebon Vanguard; Ebonhawke is
established.
1088 AE: Kryta unifies behind Queen Salma.
1090 AE: The charr legions take Ascalon City. The Foefire.
1105 AE: Durmand Priory is established in the Shiverpeaks.
1112 AE: The charr erect the Black Citadel over the ruins of the city of Rin in Ascalon.
1116 AE: Kalla Scorchrazor leads the rebellion against the Flame Legion’s shaman
caste.
1120 AE: Primordus awakens.
1165 AE: Jormag, the Elder Ice Dragon, awakens. The norn flee south into the
Shiverpeaks.
1180 AE: The centaur prophet Ventari dies by the Pale Tree, leaving behind the Ventari
Tablet.
1219 AE: Zhaitan, the Elder Undead Dragon, awakens. Orr rises from the sea. Lion’s
Arch floods.
1220 AE: Divinity’s Reach is founded in the Krytan province of Shaemoor.
1230 AE: Corsairs and other pirates occupy the slowly drying ruins of Lion’s Arch.
1302 AE: The sylvari first appear along the Tarnished Coast, sprouting from the Pale
Tree.
1319 AE: Eir Stegalkin forms a band of heroes known as Destiny’s Edge.
current year AE: Karka attack. Scarlet refugee crisis. Scarlet LA terrorist attack. Scarlet Divinity Reach attack. Molten alliance. Toxic alliance. Aetherblades. Scarlet did it all!

Oh yea and we slayed Zhaitan that year, just saying…

in Living World

Posted by: Otakuboy.5607

Otakuboy.5607

It only offered me fun for two weeks. the moment I reached 80 it got boring. Now I go to Teq and Harathi, where there were too many people around doing the boss events, and now what the hell happened? I’m all alone there.

in Living World

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I think the game is just too easy. There is no incentive to visit older zones beside doing the world bosses. Not much discovery to be made on the PvE side, random loot encourages champ runs. PvE story lacks a reason to be done with a team of friends.

Also then there is the Living Story… temporary content. At first I thought the Living Story would be new areas like Southsun coming out every 2 weeks… But it’s more like a little event to farm for a weapon or armor skin.

WvW has potential but poor class balance and the repetitiveness of it has long reached it’s climax. It needs a massive investment in development time and about a dozen maps.

Finally, there is the missing GvG mode.

in Living World

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Imho, you’re not SUPPOSED to complete everything in an MMO anyway. They’re massive, massive games with hundreds upon hundreds of things to do. Releasing new content every few weeks isn’t because they expect you to complete it it’s because they want to keep you entertained even if you’ve somehow managed to complete everything else.
And if you HAVE completed everything else, in this MMO or any other, you may want to get some sun.

So I say enjoy the content and if you don’t manage to complete it it’s not the end of the world.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Living World

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

• With Scarlet they show that their writing skills are borrowed from fanfic.net

From Diablo 3.

in Living World

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I’ve been saying this kind of sentiment for some time now. For a game based upon horizontal progression, the amount of skins and customization needed was, as you put it, “grossly underestimated”.

Weapon customization, more diverse character customization, more types of pets, housing with a trophy room showing off achievements (Scarlet’s head mounted would be a nice conversation piece), region specific armor & weapons, event specific armor & weapons, boss specific armor & weapons, etc.
Let us buy regional hairstyles from vendors in towns, town clothes, capes, etc.
Grenth could drop his armor as an ultra rare loot instead of just buying it from the gemstore.
Give us some treasure hunts with hints out in the world. There was a ton of interest in Final Rest before it was revealed to be a bugged drop from the Shadow Behemoth. So make some real treasure hunts. We had to read books for an achievement. Was there any reason they couldn’t have pointed towards an event chain triggered by the achievement?

Stop baiting us with temporary carrots and dream up more creative ways to give this game depth.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

in Living World

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Its been shown in threads similar to this that those sort of comments were hardly overwhelming at the time.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in Living World

morrolan.9608

Here’s the thing: ANet is aware of the concerns of the player base. The issues you bring up in your thread are the same issues brought up in the other few hundred threads just like it. Here is what ANet is doing to address these concerns:

2. ANet has acknowledge that the players have legitimate concerns and are very interested in what players think needs to be improved. They have acknowledged that some of the things they have done haven’t worked out as well as they’d hoped, and they are working to improve things going forward.

Hmm they had plenty of feedback about the direction of ascended equipment 1 year ago yet if anything they released ascended weapons to an even worse grind. How is that listening and addressing concerns?

As for the CDI there wasn’t that much back and forth, it was mostly just anet acknowledging player concerns. The class balance discussion was far better ion that regard.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in Living World

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

I really don’t think there’s a whole lot wrong really. The problem is for me, is that I am completely burnt out on theme park. No feeling of worth, or progression(it doesn’t have to come from levels nor gear). Nothing is “mine”, nor will it ever be.

I’ve put more fully enjoyed hours in on my plot in Dathomir than I have in this entire game.

in Living World

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Its been shown in threads similar to this that those sort of comments were hardly overwhelming at the time.

In the first few months of the game there really wasn’t that much to do, and of the few things to do, a lot of people complained about grinding. (grinding dungeons for skins, grinding for legendaries, grinding for map completion, grind for karma).

in Living World

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

I do not imply any hatred in my post either but a couple friends of mine and I feel that with the Living Stories… since my friends and I are writers out side of the game, that the Living Stories, most of the time are… rushed, to put it nicely.

It’s hard for me an others to feel as if this is a well-rounded, solidly based continuing story. We feel as if Anet is just threw things out there for their players to do while they sit there and fumble-toss ideas looking for the nice BIG awesome thing.

I give ANet all the credit I have to give honestly, but to come up with this next big ground breaking Living Story every 2 weeks, I feel giving them no justice and giving we the players, even less than that.

Perhaps if they spaced out the timing on Living Story Releases, it would give them more time to brew up something… a little more interesting… and FUN!

And living story aside, we GW 1 players are still questioning and will always question: Where is Elona? Where is Cantha?

They neither confirmed or denied that those continents even still exist. Neither confirmed nor denied if we would ever set foot on them again. Why? Why not?

For all you GW 1 players, I am pretty sure most of you are just dying to know what Palawa Joko is up to, and ya know he’s up to something after a quarter century. We know he still lives, he’s a Zombie with an I.Q. for crying out loud, and one of my favorite sneaky, under-handed not-quite-an-ally/not necessarily-a-bad-guy that ANet offered to us.

I think ANet is putting themselves in a tight spot. We know they can do better, we’ve seen them do better. They’ll do it again, I have faith.

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

in Living World

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

In the first few months of the game there really wasn’t that much to do, and of the few things to do, a lot of people complained about grinding. (grinding dungeons for skins, grinding for legendaries, grinding for map completion, grind for karma).

From what I’ve seen people were complaining about an endgame. Everyone expected to to get into raids/make endgame gear or whatever when they hit 80. They complained that there isn’t any form of (vertical) progression.

There was a ton to do, in fact, much more than your conventional game because nothing is relegated during the leveling process (ie, you don;t end up grinding the same 2 dungeons to gear up for raids), but there wasn’t anything which you could do that you couldn’t do before, and in terms of power, you’re capped at 80, which apparently people didn’t like.

I don’t really care much about the plot or the story of a MMO, because the design focus just inherently means the delivery is going to be sub-par to that of a single player game (look at where SWTOR’s amazing story delivery got it into, and how FF14’s storytelling compares to other recent FFs).

What I care about is the actual gameplay. That’s whats a bit concerning at the moment. Two things:

1. Stuff being temporary. Molten Facility was amazing, Aetherblade Retreat wasn’t as great, but it was still good, and I loved Scarlet’s Playhouse. But they’re all gone. (yes, I can still experience the first 2 in FotM, but that means I’d have to wade through other stuff to have a chance to play them again).

2. The rewards. They’re terrible. I don’t think I need to say more.

in Living World

Posted by: neneza.6954

neneza.6954

Portal Wars 2. This is what living story is all about – closing portals. Every story patch is about the same, mobs spawning through portal, and players must go and close them.

What happened with “dynamic events” that branches in different ways and ends?!

This game needs a good quests – events.

in Living World

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

From what I’ve seen people were complaining about an endgame. Everyone expected to to get into raids/make endgame gear or whatever when they hit 80. They complained that there isn’t any form of (vertical) progression.

There was a ton to do, in fact, much more than your conventional game because nothing is relegated during the leveling process (ie, you don;t end up grinding the same 2 dungeons to gear up for raids), but there wasn’t anything which you could do that you couldn’t do before, and in terms of power, you’re capped at 80, which apparently people didn’t like.

I don’t really care much about the plot or the story of a MMO, because the design focus just inherently means the delivery is going to be sub-par to that of a single player game (look at where SWTOR’s amazing story delivery got it into, and how FF14’s storytelling compares to other recent FFs).

What I care about is the actual gameplay. That’s whats a bit concerning at the moment. Two things:

1. Stuff being temporary. Molten Facility was amazing, Aetherblade Retreat wasn’t as great, but it was still good, and I loved Scarlet’s Playhouse. But they’re all gone. (yes, I can still experience the first 2 in FotM, but that means I’d have to wade through other stuff to have a chance to play them again).

Did you take a look at the Fractals Living Story end reward?

Ascended mats?

lmao, really??? When I am sitting on over 70 bloodstone bricks and 30+ Empreal shards?

(collapses on the ground laughing)

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

in Living World

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Did you take a look at the Fractals Living Story end reward?

Ascended mats?

lmao, really??? When I am sitting on over 70 bloodstone bricks and 30+ Empreal shards?

(collapses on the ground laughing)

As I said, they sucked. The meta-rewards are actually usually really good, you picked out the one of worst of them. I love my Wings of the Sunless.

Its what the actual content gives that’s the problem.

in Living World

Posted by: blackoil.2673

blackoil.2673

As an aside, the living story updates became so frequent that they provided new content very often but for someone with not a lot of play time it became a bit like ADD. Here’s new content, no wait go look at this, quick something else!

And I missed out on completing achievements for some living story components as they seem to close upon every second piece of content.

This, this is the point. Some time ago I made a post saying exactly that, and everyone in the forum was “Ewww dude, that’s a success, one update every two weeks it’s perfect, you suck!!!”.

Can’t you see quantity <<<<< (is much less important than) quality? I really rather have 1 LS update every month, or every two months than just have mediocre stories being spammed every 2 weeks. I personally don’t have time to enjoy it.

Before you went into this craziness I was enjoying every LS. Now for me it just became a tool to get Achivement Points. The stories are really boring, and I really don’t have time to get into the flow of it.

What I would really love is more resources put into fixing the few bugs there are, and making the gameplay more fun, in every aspect of the game (PvE, PvP and WvW).

in Living World

Posted by: Mindtrick.5190

Mindtrick.5190

At the op go player vs player and the rest of you go battle real people. The AI will always respawn

Got Ninja?
https://www.twitch.tv/mindtrick714
<3 and Hugs no Hate I Just Point Out Fail.

in Living World

Posted by: Arnath.2319

Arnath.2319

Disappointed that this was moved to the Living World forums, this thread belongs in General Discussions as the feedback is universal and not particularly focused on the Living Story.

This just shows ArenaNets complete disregard and lack of respect towards us players.

in Living World

Immensus.9732

This, this is the point. Some time ago I made a post saying exactly that, and everyone in the forum was “Ewww dude, that’s a success, one update every two weeks it’s perfect, you suck!!!”.

Can’t you see quantity <<<<< (is much less important than) quality? I really rather have 1 LS update every month, or every two months than just have mediocre stories being spammed every 2 weeks. I personally don’t have time to enjoy it.

Before you went into this craziness I was enjoying every LS. Now for me it just became a tool to get Achivement Points. The stories are really boring, and I really don’t have time to get into the flow of it.

What I would really love is more resources put into fixing the few bugs there are, and making the gameplay more fun, in every aspect of the game (PvE, PvP and WvW).

All I know is the clock is ticking and their time to change all these concerns is limited. Which makes me start losing faith

in Living World

morrolan.9608

Disappointed that this was moved to the Living World forums, this thread belongs in General Discussions as the feedback is universal and not particularly focused on the Living Story.

This just shows ArenaNets complete disregard and lack of respect towards us players.

Yeah seems either overzealous or they’re hiding it. The subject isn’t specific to LS and not all of the discussion is about LS.

Jade Quarry [SoX]