No Soup For Solo

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Vas.7306

Vas.7306

Plays guild wars 2. Doesn’t join a guild…..

Where is that picture of Maggie Gyllenhall crying when you need it?

For the OP, the point people are tying to convince you of is that this is actually solo content, just the label is off. Its not like “oh ha ha this content is so easy I can do it solo, lol!!!”, it really is meant to be played solo, and it also is really meant to be played as a group. Its not mutually exclusive. You may pick at that suggestion for 5 players all you want, and say that this is group based gameplay only, but the reality is, its not. Its both, truly.

Just…give it a try. Or don’t, as is your choice, just realise its not Anet that is limiting you with this release, its yourself

(edited by Vas.7306)

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Garb Cost.3718

Garb Cost.3718

What an … intriguing thread.

I had no idea that Playhouse and SAB (yes, I was here in April) was soloable. After reading this thread, I will probably have a go at it.

OP – I see you getting a lot of stick on here, and I see a lot of people feeling obligated to jump on the bandwagon and have a go at you. Personally, I think you may as well put aside your current feelings and have a go at SAB. What’s the worst that could happen?

2 options: try it, solo it, enjoy it or never even think about giving it a try and guarantee missing out on content.

The conclusion I reach is that you only have yourself to blame for not trying after reading the testimonials of people proclaiming SAB as soloable.

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

SAB is soloable. World 2 might be a pain by yourself if you’re not good with jumping, though.

I’m great at jumping but I can’t go in SAB. Whether it’s soloable or not is meaningless. As long as it states ‘suggested: 5 players’, it’s group content. I don’t group.

Labels can be deceptive. And even when they’re not, not all “group content” is best done in a group. And SAB is different to most content anyway, in that your gear, level and profession is totally irrelevant.

I’m rather like you. I only group with friends (who don’t play often), so I treat “solo-able” group content with healthy scepticism. But having posts similar to this one, and tried SAB for the first time a couple of days ago, I can confirm that at least the early content (all I’ve had time to try so far) is indeed most definitely solo-able.

Ignore the label. Go try it. I rather enjoyed it.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

Just a minute. Is this a troll thread? It looks like a troll thread.

No, it’s not a troll thread. I missed SAB the first time because of ‘suggested: 5 players’. I missed Molten Facility because of ‘suggested: 5 players’. I missed playhouse because of ‘suggested: 5 players’. I am going to miss SAB again because of ‘suggested: 5 players’.

I don’t do group dungeons. I don’t join guilds. I don’t join organized parties. I am a solo player and there is no solo content in this LS release. You can say it’s soloable all you want but virtually every 5 man dungeon is soloable if you want to bang your head against the wall for hours on end. I want to know why there is no content for solo players in this LS release.

Other players, and the dev’s, are telling you that SAB is perfectly good solo content. Not least, your character’s level, gear and profession are irrelevant. I almost never group either, but I’ve dipped my toes inside, and I can confirm that what I’ve done so far at least was fine on my own.

Putting it bluntly – if you choose to ignore what you’re being told, and carry on complaining because of a few words on a screen rather than trying it for yourself, I’m afraid you’re unlikely to get much sympathy.

(edited by Doghouse.1562)

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Alleluia.1320

Alleluia.1320

Just to be clear now…
Which part of “SAB is solo content that you can do if friends if you want to” you did not understand yet?

If it were solo content it wouldn’t prompt ‘suggested: 5 players’.

Alright. So your problem is ONLY with the message.
Tell me. If you were trying to eat soup and someone gave you a spoon and told you that it was a knife, but you could clearly see that it was a spoon and not a knife, would you use the spoon or would you refuse to eat with it?

Firstly, I wouldn’t use a spoon that someone else gave me.
Secondly, it doesn’t matter what they say, the spoon is not labeled nor shaped as a knife.

The SAB is shaped and labeled as a 5 man dungeon.

Oh man. Alright, let’s try with something that someone else said already here.

You want to leave a building. There is one door and it is written “Entrance” on it, not “Exit”. Everybody is telling that you can leave the building by using that door.
Do you refuse to use the door or do you exit the building through it?

I always obey entrance/exit signs and I would never step foot on an elevator marked as ‘out of order’.

lol You must have been really bored to create this thread, Elbegast.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

Well, I tried it. I made it to King Toad, wasted my supply of twenty-something continue coins and logged out. Whomever states that SAB is solo content is out of their gourd. No offense but it’s true. Now, if you will excuse me I must go out and purchase a new keyboard as King Toad has left mine missing a few function keys.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: ryonis.9701

ryonis.9701

Well then maybe sab isn’t for you, that’s all.
Heck, there’s is even a DEV answer about that issue. He said the dungeon text was standard text they use and they will address the issue eventually.

SAB IS solo content. you don’t need a team.
Actually, King toad is harder with a team as it has more life and takes more time. You have to learn the mechanics, your teammates would be of no help.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Faereilos.5106

Faereilos.5106

Well, I tried it. I made it to King Toad, wasted my supply of twenty-something continue coins and logged out. Whomever states that SAB is solo content is out of their gourd. No offense but it’s true. Now, if you will excuse me I must go out and purchase a new keyboard as King Toad has left mine missing a few function keys.

The King Toad can be difficult the first time around. Watch his eyes, they’ll tell you where his next attack will come from. Once you know when to dodge, it’s all a matter of attacking the jewel, picking up the pieces and throwing them into his mouth when it’s open.

Anyway. I’m sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but really the only benefit to being in a group for SAB is to have them carry you through checkpoints. Maybe you should use guides next time if you’re unsure of what to do.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

Its not solo’able as far as i can tell..you need to all get to the gates before they open 4/5 at the gate…its not opening. When your solo this changes? I would be surprised and actually quite happy about that.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Faereilos.5106

Faereilos.5106

Its not solo’able as far as i can tell..you need to all get to the gates before they open 4/5 at the gate…its not opening. When your solo this changes? I would be surprised and actually quite happy about that.

When you’re by yourself only one err key? on the checkpoint will light up. So yea it changes depending on how many people entered the instance.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

King Toad’s health is 5 times less when soloing. If anything, it is faster to solo him because you don’t have to watch your teammates get knocked around and fail at dps. I have killed him both solo and in a group of 5 and solo was faster, but the group was more hilarious.

No to jab, but if you really used 20 continue coins on King Toad then maybe you need some guidance. What’s wrong with joining a nice guild of friendly people to show you the ropes? “I don’t group”…ok but why not?

I know that I would not and can not improve as much and as fast without my guildies. I try to reciprocate where I can.

(edited by Lucky.9421)

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Elbegast.6970

No to jab, but if you really used 20 continue coins on King Toad then maybe you need some guidance. What’s wrong with joining a nice guild of friendly people to show you the ropes? “I don’t group”…ok but why not?

I know that I would not and can not improve as much and as fast without my guildies. I try to reciprocate where I can.

There is no such thing as a ‘nice guild’. I did the whole guild thing for 7+ years in WoW. Every ‘nice guild’ ended up being a complete nightmare at the slightest drop of the drama hat. There’s no reason for me to believe it will be any different here in GW2. I enjoy seeing others in the game world. I even enjoy helping them when I can. However, I do not enjoy partying up with them. It brings back too many bad memories.

EDIT: And, for me, that was one of the key selling features of GW2. The dynamic events allowed me to do group content without forming a party.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

Well, I have been very happy in my guild of the past 5+years. Yes there was drama occasionally, but overall it has been a good experience for me.

EDIT: And, for me, that was one of the key selling features of GW2. The dynamic events allowed me to do group content without forming a party.

I agree that is a positive aspect of the game.

But back to SAB, a group won’t make anything easier other than teaching. You still have to make all of the jumps. The enemies only take two hits and are really no big deal. King Toad’s attacks are not targeted so it is not like teammates will take some of the heat off of you.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

SAB is soloable. World 2 might be a pain by yourself if you’re not good with jumping, though.

I’m great at jumping but I can’t go in SAB. Whether it’s soloable or not is meaningless. As long as it states ‘suggested: 5 players’, it’s group content. I don’t group.

Shooting yourself in the foot is your problem, not ours.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: imaginary.6241

imaginary.6241

This thread reminds me of the story about an American that fried his Cat while trying to dry her in his Microwave and then later filled out a successfull lawsuit against the Manufacturer because the Microwave didn’t had a sign on it that prevented him from doing so.

I and serveral other people even solo’d it in Tribulation Mode multiple times. Not speaking that there is even an Infantile Mode that makes it almost like an completly brainless encounter as you have little Rainbow-Highways everywhere.

You can’t expect to manage all content solo without even seriously trying to learn the mechanics. Thats called trolling. That ‘s what destroys content for all people. Endlessly crying for nerfs and easier content – because they don’t even try to learn and don’t even put a little bit of effort into it. And I’m not even talking about the fact to not even try out something for serveral weeks just because there ’s a sign that states that this content was intended for a group of 5 players without seeing for yourself.

Klakk Bumm. One of the Leaders of TxS, the European Tequatl Slayer Alliance.
Click to apply for Daily EU Tequatl Kills here
My Guides: xPvP Mighty Stealth Bomber

(edited by imaginary.6241)

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Godzzila.3752

Godzzila.3752

This game is an MMO it is not supposed to be made thinking on 1-player modes…
I think the world is empty enough till lvl 80, I don’t think its needed more solo.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

There is solo content in this release – all of it is solo content to be precise. If you decide to ignore it that is your choice.

If you arent aware of the implications of your choice to ignore said content based on a technicality and your subsequent choice to complain about it on a forum you might want to consult a doctor about possible neural disorders. If you are aware of it you are trolling.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

So you suck at games and want developers to make games that play themselves for you?

Facebook games that way ->

You’re welcome.

One – Piken Square

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: GragorR.9768

GragorR.9768

This has to be the most entertaining post I have ever read on these forums. To you good sir i raise my hat, thanks for the giggles.

- BG -

(edited by GragorR.9768)

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

This thread makes me wish Anet would put ‘suggested: 5 players’ nest to the post button.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

This thread makes me wish Anet would put ‘suggested: 5 players’ nest to the post button.

You need 5 players to access the forum.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

The hilarious irony of this thread is that when SAB was announced to come back i thought “now all those people on the boards who constantly kitten that there is no solo content will finally be placated with an update that is more solo than group oriented”.

LMAO. I guess some people cannot be pleased.

I imagine that if Anet sent certain posters on these boards a suitcase full of thousand dollar bills, they would kitten and moan about the color of the suitcase.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Tom Gore.4035

And we have a /thread

One – Piken Square

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

We would miss such great posts by the OP then

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Snype Cyclos.7391

Snype Cyclos.7391

Speaking as someone with a perfectly nice guild, I’d have to say the attitude of OP and the way he’s treating this discussion by completely ignoring people simply trying to help him makes it pretty clear that it has not been his previous guild’s fault that he was unhappy with group play…

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: blackgoat.5172

blackgoat.5172

I don’t do group dungeons. I don’t join guilds. I don’t join organized parties. I am a solo player and there is no solo content in this LS release. You can say it’s soloable all you want but virtually every 5 man dungeon is soloable if you want to bang your head against the wall for hours on end. I want to know why there is no content for solo players in this LS release.

Just out of curiosity. If the above quote is how you feel, why are you playing an MMO at all?

Káge – 80 Thief / Asháman – 80 Elementalist
Project Mayhem A multigaming, PVx social guild on Dragonbrand
Dragonbrand Community Forums

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Elbegast.6970

Just out of curiosity. If the above quote is how you feel, why are you playing an MMO at all?

I like seeing people in the game world. It adds ambiance.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

OP, it is a bit frustrating to play SAB at first, especially when you can’t receive any advice from a group. Try watching the video guides available on youtube. It would help a lot.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Tad.4109

Tad.4109

i can appreciate not playing in a guild. i am in a very small family based guild and we do not do a lot of the group-based content because it’s hard to coordinate schedules. my reaction to SAB was exactly the same. i saw the ‘party of 5’ window pop up and didn’t play the content as a result. i have since tried it solo and didn’t get very far before i realized the time commitment to finish the zone was more than what i had. i haven’t been back to SAB and don’t feel like i am missing out. i’m doing other things and that is ok. besides, i really don’t like the Asura and Rata Sum is one of my least favorite cities. floating cube cities break my immersion.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Argument from ignorance- “Drawing a conclusion based on lack of knowledge or evidence without accounting for all possibilities”

Furthermore, this thread has been derailed.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Lol, he didn’t kill Zhaitan (screenshot) because it requires doing group content. I can’t believe it, but he isn’t a troll! O_O breathtaking.

Elbegast – you miss most of the content. Try to find some friendly no-drama people who will play with you. I can go and kill Zhaitan with you if you want (we can even go try duo).

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

If I had better hardware I’d go out of my way to upload a video of the crazy 8 APMs needed to beat King Toad solo once you know his attacks.

I could go into the details of SAB gameplay explaining why there’s little difference in running it solo or with a friend or with a full fledged party but I won’t, because you’d rather cling to technicalities.

On another note ,plz ignore feature on forums.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Phrixscreoth.6895

Phrixscreoth.6895

The dude is just trying to make a point about how the infomation delievery system of what is expected of players in game could use work, that’s it. He’s doing it in a way that is kinda unclear and can be highly aggrivating, but that’s all he’s trying to do. His point revolves around that it doesn’t matter that the people in this thread are telling him that it’s soloable, because that revolves going above and beyond the game’s instructions to discover this which shouldn’t need to be done. The game should tell him as the player what he can and can’t do by himself, and it doesn’t, and he’s trying to make a point about this.

Elbegast, assuming this IS your point and that I’m not just blowing smoke, I agree with your goal but disagree with your methods. It should be clearly marked what I can and can’t do by myself, but by expressing this on the forums (where people come to find out exactly that kind of information), the other forum goers don’t understand what your intentions are, and as such, when they explain what their percived soloution is to the problem they percive you to be expressing, they get confused and angry when you go on about your original point and don’t appear to take in their feedback.

Besides this, I’ve enough faith in the devs that they understand that it shouldn’t be this way either but they have a limited amount of resources and haven’t allocated any to this particularly, in the grand scheme, minor issue.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

This makes no sense at all. Scarlet’s Playhouse also stated “suggested: 5 players”, but you could easily go in alone and solo it all. Just click the button to enter SAB and see for yourself. You don’t need a group, it is not group content. It is solo content that can be played with friends if you want to.
You know, like you can take other people with you to the PS instances.

I didn’t run the Playhouse either because of ‘suggested: 5 players’. And I don’t know that I can take others into the personal story instances because I don’t group.

I won’t go into the SAB because it tells me to bring 4 other players. If it didn’t tell me to bring 4 other players, I would try to run it.

Troll

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Elbegast is a well known troll in these parts.

This thread is arguably his magnum opus.

/epictrollthread

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

SAB is just like the rest of the world: pretty much soloable but you can do it in a party. Of course theres bosses that are harder but SAB is fine solo.

And I hope you don’t mind me asking but are you autistic?

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Well I know you’re a troll but if you’re being honest here I can’t argue with King Toad being too hard to solo. Played SAB in April and am playing it now and I still can’t even get one hit in on the kitten. Glad I had one guild mate still playing in April to help beat him so at least I can start on World 2.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

panzer.6034

If you know the pattern of what king toad does, he is very simple to defeat without much jumping or platforming skill at all. Once you know that this eyes telegraph exactly what he’s about to do and you realize that they provide more than enough to time to walk away from the attacks, he’s a breeze. The total number of hits needed to kill him multiplies depending on how many players there are however, making it far easier to beat him solo. If you can beat him in 30 hits solo, for instance, it takes 60 with 2 people, who also have to coordinate all their hits when he’s vulnerable.

If he’s impossible for one person to solo but then doable with more people, it’s simply a matter of other people knowing the content and the one person not knowing the boss’s tells. If a person claims it’s impossible to go down the street on a tandem bike solo, but it is possible once someone gets on the back to peddle, it doesn’t mean that it’s impossible to ride a tandem bike solo, it just means the second person is doing twice the work.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Lol @ 20 continue coins on World 1. This thread is great! What would having a group help you accomplish that you can’t do on your own? In a group HP scales on the boss so time spent is still equal. Monsters all die in a couple of hits save for the bosses.

For King Toad there is a pattern you need to follow and then it is cake.

SAB is so soloable my freaking girlfriend has done it alone. For the record she is still mastering the WASD concept…

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: phaneo.4597

phaneo.4597

There’s a video showing a 3 year old girl playing SAB, SOLO. Nuff said.

KNOW YOUR ROLE, JABRONI!
Tee See

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Reminds me of Mr. Monk. Pedantic, almost neurotic (if not trolling). This is an MMO (——>MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER <——). If you want to play alone, play a single player game. There are plenty of great single player games out there.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Tom Gore.4035

Man elbegast must be absolutely furious about yesteday’s patch. LFG tool, Tequatl and Bloodlust! Mucho solo contento!

One – Piken Square

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Right now Elbegast is telling himself
“No Soup for Solo”

A sad day… {-_-}

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Atrabelos.7584

Atrabelos.7584

If it looks like a one-man dungeon, it plays like a one-man dungeon, it feels like a one-man dungeon, it sounds like a one-man dungeon, and it smells like a one-man dungeon… but it’s labeled as a five-man dungeon… then it’s DEFINITELY a five-man dungeon.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Elbegast.6970

S0, I complain about SAB being a group dungeon and now we get another ‘5-man only’ content patch with TA?

Where have all the soloers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the soloers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the soloers gone?
Dungeons have picked them everyone.
Oh, when will they ever learn?

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Lasur Arkinshade.4107

Lasur Arkinshade.4107

S0, I complain about SAB being a group dungeon and now we get another ‘5-man only’ content patch with TA?

Where have all the soloers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the soloers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the soloers gone?
Dungeons have picked them everyone.

There are some things you don’t seem to be considering.

The vast majority of living world updates we’ve seen so far have either included solo-friendly elements or been entirely solo-focused. For evidence of this see most of Flame and Frost, almost all of Secret of Southsun, literally all of all of Dragon Bash, all of Bazaar of the Four Winds, most of Cutthroat Politics, literally all of both Queen’s Jubilee and Clockwork Chaos, etc etc etc.

Then we get Super Adventure Box, which is content that’s completely group size-agnostic yet you complain because for some reason you get so hung up over the ‘5 players recommended’ default entrance text.

Now, after Tequatl Rising – which is not 5-man content – we get a Twilight Arbor path, and again, you complain.

The brutal reality is that this game is an MMO that has to appeal to many different tastes. One of those tastes is group dungeons, therefore the developers will add group dungeons. Group dungeons are a part of Guild Wars 2, that’s the reality of it.

If literally every update they released was group-only content maybe you’d have a point, but as it stands you’re getting yourself angry about an update having group content in it and another update having solo-friendly content incorrectly labeled as group content.

Please, understand that you are not the only person playing this game, and, more importantly, realise that your hardline stance against ever grouping with people is, frankly, extremely unusual. Yes, I concede most GW2 players probably don’t run around in a group constantly, but I also think exceptionally few (if any, other than you) people are as zealously (and, frankly, bewilderingly) against grouping as you are.

The content is there. The new Twilight Arbor path is completely within your reach to go play. Just go join a group. If you refuse to join a group, then the problem is one of your own making, not a problem of the game’s.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Adventurous Cookie.1658

Adventurous Cookie.1658

I share the same sentiment of the author of this post.

Anet, you’re breaking my heart! You’re going down a path I cannot follow!

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

panzer.6034

SAB was solo content, now we get 5 man. We’ve only had 4 new dungeons in the past 13 months of game release and way, way more non-5-man-instances.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: PCSnob.9154

PCSnob.9154

SAB, while it has the “misleading” message indicating it requires 5 players, actually scales depending on the number of players. (1-5).

Unlike the traditional dungeons such as Ascalonian Catacombs, Caudecus Manor, etc which don’t scale and remain at 5 player difficulty even if you enter with less players.

Hopefully that clears things up for the OP.

No Soup For Solo

in Living World

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

OP clearly didn’t read any of the responses that explained to him SAB was a solo instance despite what the prompt displays.

Secondly, most people do not share the sentiment of the OP. This new dungeon has become a nice guild event. Scheduling groups, helping learn the fights, etc. etc. If you are the introvert that refuses to do any group content then you are going to have to sacrifice some things.

Now, this isn’t to say that I think it wouldn’t be awesome if all dungeons in the game scaled from 1 person up to 5, because honestly that would be pretty sweet being able to solo or duo a dungeon at any point, but I’m also 100% fine with 5-man requirements. Group dungeons have been a staple of MMOs for a decade, you really should be used to this by now.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….