The Dragon's Reach Trailer

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

The trailer looks interesting! I’m not sure what freeing the Ghosts of Ascalon will do, other than directly benefit the charr since they have control over the majority of the lands.

I’m not sure how Rytlock could accomplish this without the help of a human leader of some sort, like Queen Jenna. To the Ascalonians, the Charr are their ancient enemies. Even if he gives back the sword, would that really be enough to appease them? How can the ascalonians approve of the charr occupying their territory? Maybe the Pale Tree will provide more insight into this.

The ghosts don’t fight the Charr because they hate them consciously. They fight them because they are stuck in time, and think they are still fighting the Charr/Ascalon war. This is why they think all non-ghosts are enemy invading Charr. This curse is what keeps the ghosts bound to ascalon, rather than freeing them to move on.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Living World

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

@Sir Vincent, that would be quite an interesting surprise and twist as well … do you expect that this time he will just stay with the group, and instead ‘not’ run off to try kill every Charr in sight…

Actually, that’s the King — the Prince wanted to seek refuge in Kryta rather than fight the Charr.

The most interesting piece of history I would like to know is; How did Rytlock got a hold of the Prince’s sword?

When the last time we’ve seen it was in Hell’s Precipice

Hopefully, we’ll get some interesting, less stupid, answer.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Living World

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

If the rightful human heir to ascalon recognizes rytlock as the rightful king, this might be enough to kickstart that magic as well. This would explain why he hadn’t done it sooner, because Kryta has been working with the Black Citadel on that peace process for a long time, and the true rightful heir of ascalon could have been any number of people in ebohhawk or DR, since humans currently recognize a krytan, rather than an ascalonian, as queen.

Thus, you’d have to figure out who the ascalonian human heir was, and if they were like “Hey, this guy is king now” that might be enough.

I rather doubt the Foefire curse wroks that way; that is, recognizing that the ownership of Ascalon was passed down to the charr, and even a charr wielder of one of the two legendary swords can end the curse.

We have to keep in mind that these swords are probably “soulbound” to the Ascalonian bloodline of Doric after ~1,000 years of being inherited by kings of said lineage. And before someone brings up that Adelbern was chosen to be king instead of Duke Barradin who was the previous king’s brother: Adelbern was also a descendant of Ascalonian kings, but not as close as the Duke.

I’m pretty sure this attempt by Rytlock will not turn out well. Mayhaps it will raise Adelbern’s ire (and through his hatred, that of the ghosts’ as well) even more so.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Living World

Posted by: Will Lucky.8703

Will Lucky.8703

Thats the thing, if this is a supposed part 1 I wonder if it will indeed fail and he will be forced to go to the humans to get someone with the right lineage to resolve the problem therefore creating an alliance between Charr and Humanity to fight the Dragons which would be dealt with in a part 2.

Server: Far Shiverpeaks

in Living World

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Anet writers ignoring their own game’s lore again. You need Sohothin, Magdaer and a descendant of Doric to break the curse.

in Living World

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

I just pray Anet remembers its own lore and remembers that you need Maegdar AND Sohothin, AND a descendant of Ascalon’s old royal bloodline before Adelbern.

So either that trailer needs to be deceptive and Rytlock’s not there are all, or the charr solo-attempt on ending the curse should not work or backfire horribly.

in Living World

Will Lucky.8703

Anet writers ignoring their own game’s lore again. You need Sohothin, Magdaer and a descendant of Doric to break the curse.

Sohothin or Magdaer and the Rightful King of Ascalon which can be interpreted in many different ways.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It is rather funny when people try to bash ArenaNet while they themselves don’t know the facts…

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Sir Vincent III.1286

That was based on a legend that is yet to be proven. According to Charr’s account of the Foefire, King Al struck the ground in desperation to kill Charrs and cursed them in the process. Thus, Rytlock thinks it would be the same way, striking the ground, to release the curse…maybe.

I would like to see Rytlock summons the Prince instead…it would be very interesting seeing the ghostly Prince confronting his ghostly dad.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

in Living World

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

King Al

Now I’m just seeing Rytlock doing that thing in the trailer, then King Aldelbern rises looking like Al Borlen from Home Improvement to say: “I don’t think so, Tim.”

in Living World

Posted by: Ariella Goldstein.3562

Ariella Goldstein.3562

Okay, first thought when seeing this title: Are we doing a mash up with Skyrim?

After that moment of silly passed I noted a few things, both in the trailer and here in the forums.

A) Considering how Entanglement ended we see nothing set in the Glade or the surrounding area. That indicates to me (and this is major supposition on my part) that they’re holding it in reserve for the big reveal.

B) I don’t think this is going to be the first part of the end of L2, as someone worried. I’ve been mulling this over ever since they went to the new format, and my thought is that this is going to last about 12 episodes. I don’t think, with the SJ format they’ll be able to go any further than that and keep interest. But that’s about 24 weeks, plus potentially two weeks for the two holiday festivals that occur during the period, which means 28 weeks or more than half a year. I may be wrong about my estimates in how long they think they can keep the arc going. I’ll admit i’m probably being conservative on that front.

But, this part one business is going to be more like a two part episode in a TV series. What I dread is it’s going to be a ‘Best of Both World’ and we end with someone looking into the camera, giving an order to unleash a world of hurt and then go to black. To be continued are some of the worst words in the English language.

C) We may be seeing Jormak’s creatures because M is moving into the Shiverepeaks which is Jormak’s turf. I don’t think there’s been any indication that the dragons come into conflict with one another. But consider that the vines ARE M, not just his/its corruption and there might be a problem. Again, is is speculation on my part.

D) I don’t know what to make of Rylock’s part in the trailer. It could be a red herring to keep us from seeing what they’re actually doing. It could also be an indication that the Charr are going to be the ones that who listen to Rox and take the initiative.

E) Also interesting that Kas isn’t shown with Jennah. One would think that since the Queen was named as a potential target Kas would make a bee line for her as soon as the chat with the Pale Tree was over.

Okay. As I said, this is all speculation and supposition on my part based on what little we know from episodes 1 and 2 and the trailer.

in Living World

Posted by: Kleopas Hark.4076

Kleopas Hark.4076

It would be interesting if rytlock attempts to lift the curse, but fails because he isn’t an heir to Doric. This in turn could cause tensions if he has to go to Queen Jenna for aid and thus basically bumping into Logan.

We all know how much Rytlock looks down at Logan because of the Snaff incident. Going as far as to openly mock Logan for being weak. Fancy the tables being turned and he is now the one crawling back to Logan for aid.

in Living World

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

That would bring about a huge inconsistency, since Rytlock and Logan reconciled in the Flame Citadel, strengthened their bond while firing friendly jabs at each other in the Crucible of Eternity, outright bromanced in Arah, then partied together at the victory celebration in Fort Trinity.

Just Season 1 — the godawful garbage it was — made a pathetic attempt at trying to align the Personal Story with its own horrors. In other words: at first ANet tried to make the two storylines run simultaneously in lore. That’s why Logan was in Divinity’s Reach at the Queen’s side (she sent him away at the end of Caudecus’ Mansion to resume his mission as her valorous champion and “dragon hunter”), and that’s why he was shaken when a hacked Watchknight assumed Rytlock’s illusion.

They ought to be best buddies now that ANet finally realized that the Living Story was happening after Zhaitan’s defeat.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Living World

Posted by: Shardelyss.4807

Shardelyss.4807

What I can see happening is that something fails or goes terribly wrong. What could go more wrong then dead ghosts with a fixed modus operandi are ghosts who have some sense of control and direction and can respawn forever.

Or who serve their new plant overlord as new minions. (Reminds me of the magical artifacts which are fed to the Mouths of Zhaitan.) Who knows. Point is something has to go wrong because this is part 1 which means cliff-hanger and it would be too much work having to redesign entire map areas with hearts.

If on the chance it is successful, it’ll be like Orr where stuff is still happening because a. stuck in the past b. you can rationalize it off as clearing the left overs.

Personally, I think things like this could be rectified by creating new areas that are “current” in the time line… so you may be “back in time” in one area, but be in the “present” in another.

in Living World

Posted by: Stramatus.5219

Stramatus.5219

Rytlock is freeing Ascalon from it’s curse?
To what end does this serve?
Color me interested.

Color me upset. GG Arenanet. I love GW2, but what you’ve done to the Charr/Ascalonian lore since GW1 sickens me.

Sir Helvidius | Sir Beregond | Proud Ascalonian Humans
“Remember The Searing. We never forget, and never forgive.” – Family Motto

in Living World

Will Lucky.8703

Yes, in a sense the end of the Personal Story and Season 1 are at odds. As Destinys Edge said at the end of Arah they intended to stay together and fight the other Dragons and Logan especially said he wouldn’t go back to Jenna until Kryta was safe from them. So obviously that changed as they immediately seemed to have dropped that idea and all gone back to what they were doing in the first place.

in Living World

Posted by: Icealen.3802

Icealen.3802

This trailer! I’m trying to glean every little piece of story information in it.

Next Tuesday can’t come fast enough for me.

in Living World

Posted by: Kleopas Hark.4076

Kleopas Hark.4076

Fair enough I may have forgotten that point.

in Living World

PopeUrban.2578

That was based on a legend that is yet to be proven. According to Charr’s account of the Foefire, King Al struck the ground in desperation to kill Charrs and cursed them in the process. Thus, Rytlock thinks it would be the same way, striking the ground, to release the curse…maybe.

I would like to see Rytlock summons the Prince instead…it would be very interesting seeing the ghostly Prince confronting his ghostly dad.

In an epic quest in which he suicidally runs in to large packs of enemies in a mad rush for an alternate weapon that… makes it drizzle a little.

Side note:
A ghostly stormcaller that the costantly reliving rurik blows every hour would be hilarious. Add some charr nearby with earmuffs and umbrellas who constantly complain about all the racket, and an event that makes it stop raining for a little bit.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory

in Living World

PopeUrban.2578

It would be interesting if rytlock attempts to lift the curse, but fails because he isn’t an heir to Doric. This in turn could cause tensions if he has to go to Queen Jenna for aid and thus basically bumping into Logan.

We all know how much Rytlock looks down at Logan because of the Snaff incident. Going as far as to openly mock Logan for being weak. Fancy the tables being turned and he is now the one crawling back to Logan for aid.

They made up during CoF story mode and are better friends than ever before as of the current timeline.

Here’s the cutscene/story version without the gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS3MTBPLh4o

in Living World

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

This trailer was pretty “meh” at first, then i saw Rytlock attempting to lift the curse, and it’s got me pretty excited. I still don’t think DE 1.0 is great, but they are way better than DE 2.0, so i’m glad they’re bringing them back.

in Living World

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

SO interesting! Love being Charr now!!!

Kima & Co

in Living World

Posted by: Eleri Tezhme.3048

Eleri Tezhme.3048

If post episode you go into Ascalon and there actually are no ghosts, and the hearts and NPCs and such have been updated to reflect that fact, I’ll be seriously impressed.

If they do it like Orr, and the only parts of the area that are free of the curse are instanced story, and the open world Ascalon still has ghosts and people going along as if nothing has changed, then bleh.

True Living Story makes real changes to the world, even if that means new players experience something completely different than old players.

in Living World

PopeUrban.2578

If post episode you go into Ascalon and there actually are no ghosts, and the hearts and NPCs and such have been updated to reflect that fact, I’ll be seriously impressed.

If they do it like Orr, and the only parts of the area that are free of the curse are instanced story, and the open world Ascalon still has ghosts and people going along as if nothing has changed, then bleh.

True Living Story makes real changes to the world, even if that means new players experience something completely different than old players.

They did an okay job of it in kessex I think, and it would be a lot less weird to have ghosts in the charr PS and none in the open world than the other way around.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Very interesting twist! I’m looking forward to more Charr and Norn being in the spotlight this time around. They’ve been a bit neglected in the Living Story so far. I also look forward to seeing Destiny’s Edge get involved again.

As others have mentioned, we might also see the other Dragon factions getting involved, such as the Icebrood or the Branded in conflict with the Mordrem. (Jormag and Kralkatorrik probably won’t appreciate a new rival on the scene stealing their magical buffet.)

My guess is that Rytlock’s attempt to break the curse either fails (“You are not the rightful heir of Ascalon…”), or it only partially succeeds, freeing certain ghosts who are more intelligent and free-willed, but not those who are fiercely stuck in the past (i.e. Adelbern).

Either way, I’m guessing Rytlock does it either to deny Mordremoth an additional source of magic to consume (remember the book in the Ley Line Hub with the theory that ghosts are just magical energy constructs?), or because the Charr desperately need reinforcements to fight back against the Mordrem invasion.

in Living World

Posted by: Yatsufusa no Okami.2376

Yatsufusa no Okami.2376

Ok, here’s Ascalon’s Curse and its supposed Solution:

Twenty years after the Searing, King Adelbern and his remaining forces, unable to hold Rin, staged a final defense at Ascalon City as their last resort. Cut off from the Ebon Vanguard, with most of his men dead or dying, Adelbern committed one last act of defiance and called upon the powers of his sword, Magdaer to bring about the Foefire and drive the charr back. This blast of magic incenerated the charr, but all the humans were turned into ghosts, doomed to fight the charr for all eternity.

Or unless they ckittene this solution:

According to legend, if either this sword or its sister, Magdaer, returns to the haunted remains of Ascalon City in the hands of the rightful king of Ascalon, the ghosts there will finally be laid to rest.

in Living World

Posted by: Ryan.2758

Ryan.2758

That would bring about a huge inconsistency, since Rytlock and Logan reconciled in the Flame Citadel, strengthened their bond while firing friendly jabs at each other in the Crucible of Eternity, outright bromanced in Arah, then partied together at the victory celebration in Fort Trinity.

Just Season 1 — the godawful garbage it was — made a pathetic attempt at trying to align the Personal Story with its own horrors. In other words: at first ANet tried to make the two storylines run simultaneously in lore. That’s why Logan was in Divinity’s Reach at the Queen’s side (she sent him away at the end of Caudecus’ Mansion to resume his mission as her valorous champion and “dragon hunter”), and that’s why he was shaken when a hacked Watchknight assumed Rytlock’s illusion.

They ought to be best buddies now that ANet finally realized that the Living Story was happening after Zhaitan’s defeat.

They actually were friends at the time of the Queen’s Jubilee. Rytlock was supposed to be sent as the representative for the charr, but Rox was sent instead. As Rytlock said, he and Logan were on good terms, but he couldn’t stand to be around Logan when he is near Jenna.

Logan was upset with the illusion because it was similar to pouring salt into a wound that was finally healing. It reminded him of his greatest failure, and when it was supposed to be a simple demonstration of the watchknights, it wasn’t exactly “cool” with him.

in Living World

Posted by: Kyrie Dark.3628

Kyrie Dark.3628

How can Rytlok free Ascalon from its curse? For that they need Ruric’s sword and it was lost in the Volcano on Ring of Fire Island chain at the end of Prophecies in GW1? How were they able to reclaim it?

in Living World

Zaxares.5419

It’s well known that Rytlock is wielding Sohothin, Rurik’s sword, although just how he came about it is a mystery to this day.

in Living World

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I’m really not that concerned about the personal story or dungeon paths being “compromised”, what with them all being locked in time and all that.

But this move, if it worked the way we imagine right now, would retire the majority of dynamic events in Ascalon. They’d all have to be replaced by something else. That’s a bit sudden and also probably a much, much larger update than I’d ever expect in one of these 2-week-chapters.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Color me upset. GG Arenanet. I love GW2, but what you’ve done to the Charr/Ascalonian lore since GW1 sickens me.

Yes how dare they have Charr as anything but stereotypical monsters with no kind of rational thinking!

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Wow, that trailer added some unexpected threads to the tapestry! I expected the next release to be some more new ground in Dry Top, in addition to going to speak with the Pale Tree. The trailer showing Icebrood and Rytlock trying to break the Ascalonian Curse threw me entirely off guard, I like this! The scope of the second season just increased dramatically, never expected that! :-D

in Living World

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Rytlock puts the sword in.

The sword hits the ley line (hence the blue glow).

Everything goes BOOOM!!!

Another pretty zone gets permanently destroyed, GW2 goes on a mid-season break, Scarlet gets resurrected by the Inquest.

20 level 80s and counting.

in Living World

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I’ve got a different theory about how Rytlock is trying to break the curse.

IF that sword is Magdaer, then it’s the sword that made the curse in the first place, and is linked to the power of the curse. And if that’s the Duke’s crypt in the video, then we’re seeing him stick that sword into the ground more or less right next to a ley line/waypoint.

What if he’s trying to FEED the curse to Mord? Mord is drawn to the sword, and eats it. The curse is destroyed/eaten, and the ghosts are freed.

Rytlock might consider that acceptable. Others may not, and try to stop him.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Living World

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

I’ve got a different theory about how Rytlock is trying to break the curse.

IF that sword is Magdaer, then it’s the sword that made the curse in the first place, and is linked to the power of the curse. And if that’s the Duke’s crypt in the video, then we’re seeing him stick that sword into the ground more or less right next to a ley line/waypoint.

What if he’s trying to FEED the curse to Mord? Mord is drawn to the sword, and eats it. The curse is destroyed/eaten, and the ghosts are freed.

Rytlock might consider that acceptable. Others may not, and try to stop him.

What would the charr win from being controlled by a dragon? Charr keep to themselves and do everything for them to gow and prosper. Don’t think he’s intentionally trying to spoonfeed mordi

in Living World

Palador.2170

What would the charr win from being controlled by a dragon? Charr keep to themselves and do everything for them to gow and prosper. Don’t think he’s intentionally trying to spoonfeed mordi

They wouldn’t be controlled by Mord.

If Mord eats the ghosts, he gets a lot of power as he does so. And, eventually, he’ll eat the curse too. But, if you get him to eat the curse FIRST, then the ghosts disappear before he gets most of them. That would also free up more resources to fight him right away, instead of slowly as he takes over Ascalon and eats the ghosts.

in Living World

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

In an epic quest in which he suicidally runs in to large packs of enemies in a mad rush for an alternate weapon that… makes it drizzle a little.

Side note:
A ghostly stormcaller that the costantly reliving rurik blows every hour would be hilarious. Add some charr nearby with earmuffs and umbrellas who constantly complain about all the racket, and an event that makes it stop raining for a little bit.

Oh god my sides.

in Living World

Posted by: Frosch.7809

Frosch.7809

The two swords are artifacts created by the gods (originally they were not holy artifacts but gifts of peace from Orr to Ascalon) – their powers are of godly origin and a Charr should not be able to use them, unless the lore is once more changed.

It is said that only the rightful heir to the kingdom of Ascalon can lift the curse, if Rytlock does so then he is the “rightful heir”, which seems to me to be a bad joke – and it justifies the Charr’s actions in GW1, the Searing and the genocide of the Ascalon humans, which is pretty tasteless and should really not happen. I am not sure if ANet is aware of what they are doing here, or if they care.

It also makes human gods look like a joke too, if they allow a Charr to use artifacts created by them. Then they are no longer the gods of humanity.

The curse of Ascalon as shown in the AC cinematics looks to me like Adelbern was tapping into a leyline to unleash such power, and that is most likely the connection to Mordremoth here – if the ghosts are magical constructs (and not really souls that are bound to remain in the world of the living?), Mordremoth could consume them and gain strength.

Rytlock seems to me to be someone who would rather let Mordremoth eat all the ghosts instead of setting them free. And that’s something that i do not like about the whole thing – Rytlock is so hostile towards humans (“a Charr is worth more than ten humans”, Ghosts of Ascalon) that it should not be him to lift the curse. It’s another slap in the face of GW1 players, but i know that most of those who cared about the GW1 storyline and lore are gone from GW2. It is no surprise that those who were most active in the lore section of this Forum are gone by now, given the way that GW1 lore is being treated.

It’s their game, they can do with it and its lore as it pleases them, but there are people who do not accept this and turn ther back on it.

The trailer gives the impression that GW lore is once more ignored and shows which of the five major species is favoured by ANet, and which isn’t. Funny thing is that the players preference is the actual opposite.

[Yak’s Bend]

in Living World

Palador.2170

The trailer gives the impression that GW lore is once more ignored and shows which of the five major species is favoured by ANet, and which isn’t. Funny thing is that the players preference is the actual opposite.

It shows him TRYING to break the curse. Nobody’s seen if it works or not.

ANet has really improved on the storytelling with Season 2. It’s not perfect, but I think they deserve a chance to prove that they know what they’re doing.

in Living World

Sir Vincent III.1286

~snip~

I got a gut feeling that you’re wrong about this one. When Rytlock and Logan first met, Logan wants to take the sword back but Rytlock will give his life to keep it. This to me shows that the sword is not just something Rytlock have looted, but it was handed to him as a symbol for something. That something I assume is to bring the Prince back to Ascalon. By planting the sword on the ground, Rytlock will summon the Prince and confront his father. The curse was not brought by Magdaer, it was Aderbern’s resentment of the Charr that brought the curse, the sword was just a power focus that amplified his wrath.

The king hated the Charr and by extension hated his own people for not being able to push the Charr back — but the Prince loved his people and gave his life to see them safe in Kryta. It was the hate the placed the curse and it will be love that lifts it.

in Living World

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

The Curse is the Foefire which has these effects

- turned the Ascalonians into ghost that will keep returning
- Infused the Ascalonians with King Adelbern’s obsession with keeping Ascalon.

The Curse can only be removed by both Magdaer and Sohothin. The reason it happens now is because Magdaer was damaged back in Ascalon Catacombs Story so it was being repaired. Now that it is fixed the curse can be lifted.

in Living World

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Also, Wooden Potatoes has a great vid about this. In the trailer Rytlock goes into the last true heir’s tomb. (Remember the King and Rurik were NOT of royal blood).

Perhaps he goes into the tomb to get baradin’s blessing to un-do the curse. Basically working as a proxy to baradin.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

in Living World

Posted by: PHARAOH.3465

PHARAOH.3465

Glad to know I’m not the only one who got a little tingly when I watched the trailer lol. I can’t wait!!!!

Prince Pharaoh – human mesmer
Lord Pharaoh – sylvari ranger
etc, etc – one 80 of each class

in Living World

Posted by: nihavel.6592

nihavel.6592

Maybe we could use the new playable ghost race in next expansion.

LOL.

in Living World

Posted by: sAdam.5876

sAdam.5876

Maybe we could use the new playable ghost race in next expansion.

I didn’t know I want it, but now I desperatly need it. Ghost race for the win

in Living World

Posted by: Eleri Tezhme.3048

Eleri Tezhme.3048

Random theory/thoughts that skittered through my brain-

Mord is actively seaking out magical energy, right now that’s manifesting as the vines chasing down the ley lines, and one of the paths seems headed straight for Ascalon. Given the theory that has kicked around that the Ascalon Ghosts aren’t actually ghosts (in the souls running loose sense), but magical energy constructs, maybe Mord is headed for them as a massive energy boost.

Or, maybe breaking the curse will release a massive burst of magical energy that counters Mord’s forward advance.

Mebby Rytlock has tried to break the curse previously, and it didn’t work. What’s changed?

Could be Zaitan. Both Sohothin and Magdaer are Orrian artifacts- If we go with the idea that Zaitan’s corruption inhibited or twisted the power of any Orrian magical item, then it is possible either sword was incapable of breaking the curse until after Zaitan was defeated.

in Living World

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

Historian Vermoth: “Malchor’s ghost created this barrier. Only his spirit can remove it. We need to get him back here.”
the ghosts in ascalon are magical remnant of a spell.. unfortunately, rytlock may be a prime candidate for an ascalonian hierarchy.. but, deviating from the terms of the spell ‘or counter spell as it may be’ is likely to alter the curse as apposed to removing it..

letting dragons get their claws on magic is a bad idea, it’s not like feeding them milk before bedtime.. they’ll just use that magic to Kill you.. {example, corrupted attendants of Orr} i’m not sure what interactions mordrem will have on the foefire, but resolving the curse is in the charr interest now.. and i think Ryu hit the nail on the head, Rytlock is going to need help.. Alliances will be tested, dun dun dun..

Anyway it doesn’t matter because whatever happens i’m sure players will complain their character isn’t being hailed as the rightful monarch of ascalon z_z like a boss..

i think i need to go home, some icebrood are stirring   =\

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

in Living World

Zaxares.5419

Yeah, I’m guessing Rytlock is trying to break the curse now because of the following possible reasons:

1. Remember that book in the Ley Line Hub that theorises that ghosts are just magical energy constructs? Imagine what would happen if Mordremoth went to Ascalon and gobbled up all those ghosts…

2. The Charr, already stretched from their war with the Flame Legion, Branded and Ghosts, are unprepared to deal with yet another faction to fight against. They desperately need new allies (or to remove an existing foe), and so breaking the curse might do both.

Rytlock might have just not done it before because he didn’t know how. (He’s a Warrior, after all, not a scholar or a mage. Not to mention the Charr as a general rule are pretty anti-magic.)

3. Mordremoth is hunting for powerful magical artifacts to eat. Sohothin is an INCREDIBLY powerful magical artifact. Maybe Rytlock decides that destroying it (via breaking the curse of the Foefire) is better than letting an Elder Dragon get his claws on it.

in Living World

Posted by: Cyan.6904

Cyan.6904

If I remember correctly it’s also a human legend about breaking the curse. Rytlock (and many other Charr) have way too much pride to rely and fall back on “silly” human stories.

Cyan Graceland — Elementalist
The Knights Temple [TKT] — Aurora Glade

in Living World

Posted by: Hyperion.9704

Hyperion.9704

Ascalon was originally Charr lands, by that reasoning the rightful “King” of Ascalon might be a Charr.

Hello.

Ascalon was originally all the unsettled land north of the Crystal Desert and south of the Charr’s native homeland. When the Gods arrived on Tyria, they tasked the Forgotten to steward all the lands from the Crystal Desert to Orr – including Ascalon.

The Charr advanced south, clashing with the Forgotten until they (the Forgotten) retreated to the Crystal Desert to handle other (unknown) matters.

When the Gods brought humanity to Tyria, they gave them magic and gave them command of all the lands the Forgotten once tended – including Ascalon.

The best argument you have is that Ascalon has always been contested. Personally, I feel that you forfeit the right to call a land “yours” when you throw bodies against a huge wall for a thousand years, wasting countless lives in a futile effort for greed and conquest, only to have to resort to selling out your entire species to a fallen god and its marionnettes in order to breach it.

And then subsequently get beaten back anyway, time and time again anyway.

Charr have been the beneficiaries of a huge amount of plot favoritism. They got to advance from a medieval society worshipping burning effigys to a bunch of industrial athiests in the span of 250 years while humanity was left to stagnate by the writers.

It sickens me to hear things like the ministers in DR arguing about how “The Searing is ancient history,” while Charr get to run around shouting “Remember the Foefire!”

If Ascalon is given to the Charr while humanity is written into passive submission again, I’ll be very disappointed with ArenaNet.

(edited by Hyperion.9704)