Lost, Confused, New to Guild Wars 2?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Venomous.7683

Venomous.7683

Awesome, I’ll definitely be buying one then. Good to hear they don’t charge transmute charges I’m too cheap to use mine also lol, Thanks again.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Awesome, I’ll definitely be buying one then. Good to hear they don’t charge transmute charges I’m too cheap to use mine also lol, Thanks again.

Clearing city maps is a good way to earn Trans charges.

Unless you have access to some of the FREE skins (Hall of Monuments, Acheivment skins, etc.), don’t use them until you hit 80 and get some final gear…..it’s a horrible waste. I guess outfits are an option, but I refuse to buy any of them (I’m kind of a mix-n-match and outfits are a one size fits all).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Foghladha.2506

Foghladha.2506

Hi Foghladha,

I would GREATLY appreciate one of those welcome kits!!

I’m only about an >hour in…lvl 6 Ele. And yes, also pretty overwhelmed, although I have experience with many “hardcore” RPGs, this is my first MMORPG.

I can’t for the life of me figure out where the list of my dailies are. My Daily achievements tab just says “complete 3 PvE achievements”, but doesn’t list what it is I have to do. Is this a matter of me getting over a certain level before they start to show up??

This game seems to have a great community…I’ve already met a few nice people in-game that were happy to help out with my noobish problems.

You have mail my friend

Benjamin “Foghladha.2506” Foley
Founder, Gaiscioch Community [GSCH] | Gaiscioch Magazine | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter
Proud Resident of Mercenary Server Sanctum of Rall | 6 Year Extra-Life Charity Event Participant

Foghladha.2506

So you are still doing this? I bought the game when it first came out but only got to like level 50 before I completely forgot about it. Now I picked it back up and got my self a first 80. Sure would appreciate any help

Well unfortunately what I’m giving I don’t think you’ll need at level 80. It’s all stuff aimed at level 20’s or under. Not very useful otherwise. If you have any questions for me I’d be glad to answer!

Founder, Gaiscioch Community [GSCH] | Gaiscioch Magazine | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter
Proud Resident of Mercenary Server Sanctum of Rall | 6 Year Extra-Life Charity Event Participant

Posted by: Malaris.8159

Malaris.8159

So you are still doing this? I bought the game when it first came out but only got to like level 50 before I completely forgot about it. Now I picked it back up and got my self a first 80. Sure would appreciate any help

Well unfortunately what I’m giving I don’t think you’ll need at level 80. It’s all stuff aimed at level 20’s or under. Not very useful otherwise. If you have any questions for me I’d be glad to answer!

I just returned after a year or so hiatus. I have a level 17 necromancer as my highest character, would the welcome kit be of any use to someone of my level?

Foghladha.2506

Malaris.8159, you have mail enjoy!

Posted by: Shatner.4187

Shatner.4187

I just started out a week or so ago (used to play WoW a while back) and I love this community.
Things like these are unheard of in WoW.

I think what finally got me hooked was when I saw this asura playing Linkin Park – Numb with her harp in the asura city (actually play, no prerecord, blew my mind)

Posted by: Buddychuck.1972

Buddychuck.1972

Just started playing myself a few weeks ago. Wish I started sooner. So much to do in this game for a MMO that does not have a subscription!

Foghladha.2506

Shatner and Buddychuck you now have mail. Anyone in Queensdale come say hi passing out welcome kits now

Posted by: Comus.7365

Comus.7365

hey there i’m new to the game just starting out on a guardian.. it’s pretty cool so far
at what level should i jump into pvp? just been questing so far. think i’m about to be able to swap weapons soon would that be an appropriate time to try out pvp?

Posted by: Aamalthea.3586

Aamalthea.3586

I came back about a month ago after being gone for years and I’ve been leveling up decently as an engineer but found out there are so many things that I didn’t even realize…fractals (no idea what those even are), combos, area event prequels and something else that I don’t know the name of to get gear…

Can I still message you or someone to get help with this? I got so frustrated with it I haven’t been back in a week But I want to.

Thanks

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Wow, didn’t know you do this too Foghladha. I’ve been enjoying your hospitality at the open guild missions on Wednesday nights and it’s been a big help to me and my guildies. I must say I am very impressed by your friendliness. It’s nice to see good guys

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: JokeOne.7543

JokeOne.7543

Hello!
I started playing yesterday with a Guardian as my first class!
Game still looks confusing to me but I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it!
I stopped playing MMOs after I quit WoW about 3 years ago, with the exception of Tera which I tried out a bit but I wasn’t that excited by its overall concept.

An important reason for me to turn to GW2 was everything I read about the community and you just verify what I read in this post!

I have also tried to follow this mentality of helping fellow players in the MMOs I played, but I have to admit I sometimes grew tired of people taking advantage of it without even saying a thank you in return.. I admire your dedication and I thank you in advance for any help you will provide!

Talk to you in game soon I hope!

Foghladha.2506

JokeOne.7543 you have mail

Foghladha.2506

Just a note to say I will be away for the next week and wont be able to mail off any welcome kits. If you would like one please reply here and I’ll send it out as soon as I return. Thanks everyone!

Posted by: oldpepper.3825

oldpepper.3825

I am also new to the game. I very been on and off trying to find a game I like after I quit WOW. I tried different characters, but can’t choose one to get to 80. I like melee ranged and dual wielding style. Also my favorite of all times was rogue. I know that thief will fit my play style, unfortunately I don’t think this is a good newb character. So now I’m stock with a bunch of characters thinking which one to choose. Can you please help me out and point to the right direction. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted by: Ku Ku.1245

Ku Ku.1245

Hi oldpepper, just saw your post. I would say, for right now, play something you enjoy even if its not a class you thought you would normally like or even if it may not be a class you want to have as your ‘main.’

This will allow you to experience the game as a whole and get some understanding of how everything works and what you’d like to do, allowing you to create or level a new character more specific to your GW2 playstyle later.

I’ve found that a lot of people (myself included) approach GW2 expecting certain things of the classes, when actually they function slightly differently than one would think or just don’t have the same ‘feel’ and going with something you enjoy is better than bashing your head against a class that needs some time or experience to understand.

It doesn’t take long to level a character to 80, though it may feel long the first time as you are learning. It is easily possible to level to 80 in a week or so of casual play so don’t feel you are ‘loosing time’ by playing something else.

If this isn’t something you want to do then I recommend reading a lot of guides about the thief (as it sounds like it is the class you would like to play). Many people find them hard to level at first but understanding how the class and their skills / weapons work may help. I recommend dulfy guides but they are very indepth and may require a few read-throughs and some play time to understand: http://dulfy.net/2014/07/10/gw2-thief-pve-class-guide/

Alternatively meta-battle build guides show you what builds are currently ‘meta’ (recommended / mainstream) in guild wars 2 for thief and recommends certain weapons etc: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Category:General_Thief_Builds

Hope that helps and that the Gaiscioch Social Gaming Community pick up your question soon!

Posted by: oldpepper.3825

oldpepper.3825

Thanks. I was stuck between ranger and thief, because both of them have a play style that I like. As a matter a fact when I took one of the surveys it stated that the character that mostly fits me is charr ranger. Even though it wouldn’t be a bed choice, I don’t really like their area. It feels like I’m back in uniform from what I’ve seen so far. Any other suggestions for the race choice? I don’t know maybe it is because I was a warrior of the Blood leagen. So would you suggest to go what I like or what actually really fits my personality?

Posted by: Aesalon.7845

Aesalon.7845

I just started the game yesterday. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Foghladha.2506

Just a note to let you all know i’m back from my work trip and am roaming queensdale helping new folk again. Let me know if you would like a welcome kit!

Aesalon, signing in to send you one right now watch for Carl, my griffon delivery service agent

Foghladha.2506

Thanks. I was stuck between ranger and thief, because both of them have a play style that I like. As a matter a fact when I took one of the surveys it stated that the character that mostly fits me is charr ranger. Even though it wouldn’t be a bed choice, I don’t really like their area. It feels like I’m back in uniform from what I’ve seen so far. Any other suggestions for the race choice? I don’t know maybe it is because I was a warrior of the Blood leagen. So would you suggest to go what I like or what actually really fits my personality?

I find the best bet is to go with what you love. When the game launched Engineers sucked. Now they are one of the best classes in the game. Warriors at launch we’re op, and now they are on par with the rest. If you base your judgement on how a class plays now you will be disappointed when change comes on the horizon. If you play a class because you love it no matter what comes you’ll enjoy your class. The key is to play something and learn what works best for the way you play.

Posted by: chief.5978

chief.5978

Hey Foghladha, I’m new to the game and reading everything I can find on how best to start out in this game. I would appreciate one of your welcome kits. Thanks

Foghladha.2506

Hey Chief, you should find a welcome kit in your mail next time you log in. Enjoy!

Posted by: Tanuki.5486

Tanuki.5486

This is such a nice thing you’re doing! I’ve only just started a week ago and there’s so many things to learn, it’s all a bit wild. I’d love one of your welcome kits if you’ve any to spare

Posted by: DeathSonata.7260

DeathSonata.7260

Hello guys ! I am 4days new to the game and I’m currently loving this game alot. Still couldn’t decide what profession to start off first , would appreciate a welcome kit and some simple advices from u guys ! Also I think I would love wvw lots, however due to how congested the to servers are. . My best bet is at the t2 servers, between YB and FA which has the greater sea scene?

Posted by: Calinga.8029

Calinga.8029

Hi there – I am totally new to GW2 having come over from EQ and previously WoW. Any chance you could help me out with your welcome kit? I rolled a Guardian and so far am having a blast! I will look for you in game.

Posted by: Lilithica Dae.5429

Lilithica Dae.5429

Hello =) So today is my first day in GW2. A welcome kit would be lovely!
I’ve decided to try out a Necromancer. Any hints or tips?
Also, I noticed when making my character that they had me choose my armor colors. Will those colors be applied to all armor I ever wear in game? And if so, is there a way to change them?
Thanks!

Posted by: Arthas.9875

Arthas.9875

I just started playing and am so confused lol, is the questing system only like every 10 levels? im level 9 now and all I have been able to do are the gold heart things?

Foghladha.2506

Tanuki.5486, DeathSonata.7260, Calinga.8029 and Lilithica Dae.5429 you all have welcome kits waiting for you enjoy!

Foghladha.2506

Bumping for the new folk

Posted by: Sparky.5064

Sparky.5064

Well, im new to this game and MMO….ive got no idea what a welcome kit is but i will take it once my game is installed lol.

PS. I dont want to join a guild or faction of some sort, im more a lone ranger type of guy and follow my own rules

(edited by Sparky.5064)

Foghladha.2506

Sparky.5064 You have mail Enjoy!

Posted by: Sparky.5064

Sparky.5064

Sparky.5064 You have mail Enjoy!

Thank you very much, i got your items

Foghladha.2506

You’re very welcome Sparky

Posted by: Lambada Bonnie.9361

Lambada Bonnie.9361

I’ve just started playing the game, everything seems so confusing haha hope that ill somehow figure how this game works. A kit will be appreciated

Posted by: Grathor.7513

Grathor.7513

Hi
I just got the game but haven’t played much yet, its a bit strange I thought you could just change servers whenever you like but even if you have no characters on the server it still activates a cooldown to change servers! Does anyone have any server recommendations, I’m in UK.

I have played quite a lot of other MMORPG’s but this seems a bit different. Not even sure what class to play, I normally like healing but there doesn’t seem to be a healer? Can all players heal themselves? How does that work? In my last MMORPG I played an engineer, like a hunter really but could tank too. I started playing a stalker (rogue) and liked it, however they are usually an overpopulated class. Other classes I played are Warlock and Rogue in W*W and well most classes in that but quit years ago. Are all classes balanced? What are the highest and lowest populated classes? Though I won’t let that influence me!

Oh and could I have a welcome pack please (even though not sure what it is!)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Yes, the “traditional” MMO trinity of DPS/Tank/Healer doesn’t exist in this game. Everyone can heal themselves, Skill 6, and rez a downed or dead player or friendly NPC (and you get XP for doing so). Nobody has enough HP, damage mitigation due to armor is never enough, healing is fairly weak and what aggros each type of critter is different to attempt to Tank. Dodging a hit is the best way to mitigate damage.

All professions are a bit of jack of all trades and are simply not as super specialized as found in most other MMOs. I wouldn’t say balanced but all professions are soloable in PvE. Everyone can heal themselves, have range and melee attacks, can buff allies and debuff enemies to varying degrees. I suggest you read up on the professions in the wiki.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Profession

PvE in GW2 is designed around the notion of co-op play. You can’t kill steal here. Everyone gets a copy of material nodes to gather, chop and mine (for XP). Helping another player to take down a critter doesn’t “steal” XP or loot from them, everyone gets the same amount once a minimum amount of damage is done to it. There is no traditional quest giver chain. You will automatically be downleveled if you are in an area that’s lower level to you yet you get XP and loot drops appropriate to your actual level. The previously mentioned everyone can heal themselves, everyone can rez.

Gameplay is more action oriented. Because armor damage mitigation and HP aren’t fantastic relative to damage from critters, moving and dodging is often required. Trying to Face Tank doesn’t work in this game. Fortunately most skills can be used while moving. A few seconds out of combat radius will heal you to full so you don’t normally use your heal outside of combat.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Daowen.7136

Daowen.7136

New to the game, so thanks to the OP for offering in case needed

I’m not online…..It’s just your imagination

Posted by: Grathor.7513

Grathor.7513

Yes, the “traditional” MMO trinity of DPS/Tank/Healer doesn’t exist in this game. Everyone can heal themselves, Skill 6, and rez a downed or dead player or friendly NPC (and you get XP for doing so). Nobody has enough HP, damage mitigation due to armor is never enough, healing is fairly weak and what aggros each type of critter is different to attempt to Tank. Dodging a hit is the best way to mitigate damage.

All professions are a bit of jack of all trades and are simply not as super specialized as found in most other MMOs. I wouldn’t say balanced but all professions are soloable in PvE. Everyone can heal themselves, have range and melee attacks, can buff allies and debuff enemies to varying degrees. I suggest you read up on the professions in the wiki.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Profession

PvE in GW2 is designed around the notion of co-op play. You can’t kill steal here. Everyone gets a copy of material nodes to gather, chop and mine (for XP). Helping another player to take down a critter doesn’t “steal” XP or loot from them, everyone gets the same amount once a minimum amount of damage is done to it. There is no traditional quest giver chain. You will automatically be downleveled if you are in an area that’s lower level to you yet you get XP and loot drops appropriate to your actual level. The previously mentioned everyone can heal themselves, everyone can rez.

Gameplay is more action oriented. Because armor damage mitigation and HP aren’t fantastic relative to damage from critters, moving and dodging is often required. Trying to Face Tank doesn’t work in this game. Fortunately most skills can be used while moving. A few seconds out of combat radius will heal you to full so you don’t normally use your heal outside of combat.

Thanks some interesting info.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Some professions can tank a little better than others. Ranges and Necros have their pets to distract critters, Mesmers with their phantoms and clones, Engineers with their turrets and other gizmos all can draw some critters away from you and other players. Of course some critters are smart enough to go after the actual player than get distracted.

Other professions can try control, slowing, confusing, blinding etc which while isn’t aggro control can hold a critter at bay for a few seconds while the group circles it.

There are synergies one can achieve in this game but having one character purely tank while two others heal to keep them in play while the damage dealers are pouring on the DPS doesn’t really exist. Well DPS does but pure DPS can’t last long toe to toe so they rotate in and out of melee range.

It’s different and no player can feel like they are pigeon holed into one and only one activity for the entire game.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Foghladha.2506

Daowen.7136 You have mail! Enjoy!

Foghladha.2506

Just checking in to see if there are any new players out there needing some early toys to get you started. Let me know and I’ll send ya a welcome kit!

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

If your looking for a reason why someone would do something like this I’ll tell you. Look at your replies. The world has become jaded. Surely good intentions don’t exist anymore.

It depends on the community. I compare it to Second Life in this respect which, bizarrely, canceled the mentor program a few years ago.

The mentors, including myself, were extremely upset. No, not because we would lose access to where new members logged in for the first time, but because by losing that access we would be unable to help them. The replacement for human beings that could troubleshoot problems was a sign (amidst other signs) telling people how to use the wiki.

Note that there was no real benefit from being a mentor. We were not paid or anything. Sure, we had a title to identify us to new people but anyone could make a title saying the same exact thing. We were doing it because we loved the community and wanted to help it.

Posted by: AshTree.6142

AshTree.6142

Hello!

I just bought the game yesterday so still finding my way around. Just wondering if this offer is still up?

Posted by: faunabay.9320

faunabay.9320

I’ve only been playing a couple of days myself and would love a “care package” :-D if it’s still available. I’m having so much fun with GW2! Love it so far!!

Posted by: Armand.2574

Armand.2574

I am going to start today. I have no idea about this game. Only thing I know that it is fun. If you guys can help me just to give some of the basics of the game I would really appreciate it.

Posted by: Ceryia.8431

Ceryia.8431

Hey Armand,

I’ve only been playing for a two weeks now I think, but what I found the hardest part about this game is choosing a main class to play. To ease this decision I decided to level all professions up to 20+ to get a feel for it and then do some Conquest PvP using Metabattle to pick a simple enough build.

This really helped me find the profession I love and in the end I chose an Elementalist, if you do choose this route then also try out a few of the races as well to see what really clicks with you.

But of course this is not necessary, some people are lucky enough to click with a class immediately and don’t need to do this. But I found them all far to shiny like toys in a toy store. :P

There is a lot more but this was my main barrier when starting the game and nearly made me give up until I took this route as I was just leveling and deleting characters never really sure where I wanted to go.

Server – Seafarer’s Rest
Main – Senstara [Ranger]
Guild – Legends of Absolute Glory [LAG]

Posted by: Cassius.5084

Cassius.5084

Hi, I’m also new to Guild Wars 2.

I’m glad there are still people out there who greets the new folks.

Foghladha.2506

Hey everyone, just got back from a work trip. I’ll login and shoot off those welcome kits. Keep an eye on your mail!

Foghladha.2506

Still passin out welcome kits for those that need em