Academy Gaming: Disaster

in PvP

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

Here’s the link for anyone who didn’t see.

About 2:43, players cursing each other out on the live broadcast

Shortly after that the shoutcaster trash talks the ranger class despite the ranger playing doing amazing as an underdog.

Awesome presentation of Gw2 PvP. I guess we see the real face of things and player’s thoughts. Last tournament I ever watch.

in PvP

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

wow, terrible display of sportsmanship.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Aeroxe.8140

Aeroxe.8140

Stuff like this is usually just common sarcasm (very common in gw2 with the whole “esports” shenanigans) and shouldn’t be taken too seriously. In any case, I wouldn’t stop watching tournaments based on just some light-hearted commentary, but then again, that’s just me. Like every shoutcaster, there are some biases, but it really shouldn’t detract you from just sitting back and enjoying the game.

Also consider that ranger has a lackluster standing in the current meta, and that may play into some bias. Of course, that is no real excuse, but it definitely has some influence.

Thief (main), ele, guard
Past member of most teams NA. Retired proleague season 1+2.
http://www.twitch.tv/aeroxe

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Well I guess these people will be banned from future tournaments.

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

I don’t think Storm was trash talking at all. He was simply stating the obvious about the class Ranger. He did indeed compliment the Ranger! The players in /s chat however… lol. Just a good idea if AG puts a ban on any & all open map chatting.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

There’s unsportsmanlike conduct in every Esport or Sport genre. It’s up to the commentors to censor and handles these events professionally by panning away from vulgar in-game chat texts.

As for the “trash talking” about Rangers bit, I didn’t see it. Like the above said, it was lighthearted sarcasm and we knew where he was coming from. That’s not to say he wasn’t in the wrong. He could have been more professional as every commentator should be as unbias and fair as possible.

P.S
I’m not a fan of Nos’s commentating – he needs to be more general about the game, talk faster about the important stuff and stop preventing Storms from speaking. Nos explains unimportant skill intricalities that not everyone may know about, nor care to listen to. He’s knowledgeable and has a good eye for items like that but needs to save that kind of talk after the game, if theres room for it and if it’s even worth mentioning.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Genoshock.2104

Genoshock.2104

This is disgraceful sportsmanship,

I’m never watching another AG cup until I know that these sorts of people are banned if there is a repeat of this I will write a formal complaint.

My children watch these streams.

in PvP

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

Was hard to tell if this was a tournament or a hotjoin :P

I understand things become competitive, but at this least map chat should be hidden. Tournament players should have the courtesy to vent their frustrations via whisper as well or just have a stack of salt bags/princess tiaras/chocolate bananas to mail the other team.

I wanted to point this out because it is an example of how NOT ENOUGH is being done for Gw2 “E-Sports” support. The kind of atmosphere needed for this game to succeed as a competitive title is just not there. That and with the current state of things, imbalances (as seen by mesmers/eles dominating everyone in that tournament), shoutcasters putting down a whole class and laughing about ranger effectiveness…

This is why people leave, stuff like this.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Was hard to tell if this was a tournament or a hotjoin :P

I understand things become competitive, but at this least map chat should be hidden. Tournament players should have the courtesy to vent their frustrations via whisper as well or just have a stack of salt bags/princess tiaras/chocolate bananas to mail the other team.

I wanted to point this out because it is an example of how NOT ENOUGH is being done for Gw2 “E-Sports” support. The kind of atmosphere needed for this game to succeed as a competitive title is just not there. That and with the current state of things, imbalances (as seen by mesmers/eles dominating everyone in that tournament), shoutcasters putting down a whole class and laughing about ranger effectiveness…

This is why people leave, stuff like this.

Quoted for truth, 100times over.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Chaotic.9742

Chaotic.9742

If people are complaining and saying they will be boycotting watching future tournaments over that then I just don’t even… I guess you also don’t watch and NFL/NBA/NHL/etc games either because of the few professional players who talk smack about opponents in post game interviews – that’s unsportsmanlike so I assume you won’t be watching any of that as well. It’s one player who said one thing (probably more sarcasm than anything). Simple fix is turn off the chat bubbles so this won’t be shown on live stream again. Done deal, time to move on here.

in PvP

Posted by: Genoshock.2104

Genoshock.2104

This is what happens at the highest level

in PvP

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

some of the earlier games had some terrible players lol

Bad Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

trashtalking is fun, actually more fun to watch than go4

long live salty ppl

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

Man, what is with this carebear society that I live in nowadays? Back in my day that stuff was expected, warranted, and you move on and show them up next time.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in PvP

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

If people are complaining and saying they will be boycotting watching future tournaments over that then I just don’t even… I guess you also don’t watch and NFL/NBA/NHL/etc games either because of the few professional players who talk smack about opponents in post game interviews – that’s unsportsmanlike so I assume you won’t be watching any of that as well. It’s one player who said one thing (probably more sarcasm than anything). Simple fix is turn off the chat bubbles so this won’t be shown on live stream again. Done deal, time to move on here.

I watch plenty of sports, not a single live games will show players trash talking to one another with clarity. Of course players talk trash on the field, but u think the broadcast would put emphasis on letting audience hearing all the racial/anti-gay comments by TV audience? You are out of your mind and delusional.

Last I checked, there are penalty for unsportsmanship conducts in NFL.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

(edited by rchu.8945)

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

Read a bit about Floyd Mayweather Jr if you want to learn about bad sportsmanship ^^

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Imagine all the trash talking you don’t hear on the field in the NFL

Bad Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

I watched quite a lot of Wimbledon a few weeks ago, I didn’t see Roger Federer and co hurling abuse at each other over the net, and that is something that actually takes skill, and has millions in prize money / sponsorships on the line, unlike GW2 which is a joke in terms of skill, as a competitive playerbase and has nothing but pocket money on the line.

The words that sum it up are immature, juvenile and pathetic, but I guess as a generalisation those apply to many “gamers”.

in PvP

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

What is more surprising is that someone actually watched a 2h stream and payed enough attention to see that comment.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Posted by: Chaotic.9742

Chaotic.9742

I watch plenty of sports, not a single live games will show players trash talking to one another with clarity. Of course players talk trash on the field, but u think the broadcast would put emphasis on letting audience hearing all the racial/anti-gay comments by TV audience? You are out of your mind and delusional.

Last I checked, there are penalty for unsportsmanship conducts in NFL.

I’ve definitely heard some foul words exchanged on live broadcasts in sports. Sometimes microphones pick up players talking smack which can be heard under the announcer talking. Will look for youtube videos to satiate you since I’m so delusional. And I never said no penalty was needed, only that not watching more tournaments b/c of one thing is a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

Edit: Found a couple for ya, WARNING IT HAS POTTY MOUTHS SO DON’T CLICK IF YOU WILL BE OFFENDED https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szSpOj3D8ps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUgGtntfHv8

(edited by Chaotic.9742)

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

This is what happens at the highest level

I laughed so hard at 2:32..
The dude with the “im watching you”

in PvP

Archaon.9524

/15 lovely chars

Attachments:

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

Shortly after that the shoutcaster trash talks the ranger class despite the ranger playing doing amazing as an underdog.

Awesome presentation of Gw2 PvP. I guess we see the real face of things and player’s thoughts. Last tournament I ever watch.

Nos was a guest on the show and as a player I do not believe he has to reserve his opinions on classes.

Players trash talk each other all of the time. We can only hold them back so much. Should I ban players for saying bad words? If I start banning everyone for saying a few words there won’t be much of a tournament anymore.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

(edited by tichorum.2415)

in PvP

Posted by: Firebird.8324

Firebird.8324

so one person says “kitten you” in text and it was accidentally caught on stream. you’re seriously so angry you’re going to make a forum post about Academy Gaming being a Disaster. Do you know how much bad rep a post with that title will even cause? The fact that Mila and friends spend their own time to put these tournaments together and don’t get paid anything just to make this game a bit more fun for people and you’re going to say kitten like that. Lol, grow up OP, what do you expect, instant bans for people? a black box to appear over the person when they talk? comon man, be serious.

Over Powered Necro [dk] (Bird of Fire)
One spam to rule them all!
Mains Power Necro for team Radioactive[dk]

in PvP

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Well after watching that part it really didn’t seem like a huge deal. Yeah, I personally don’t like trash talking but the OP for this post made it seem like a huge horrible deal, when it turns out that it wasn’t really that big of a deal, since it was only one little moment.

As for the ranger comment, I don’t think its a huge deal either. Rotations and teamwork mean so much more than what builds and classes you play, as long as they all create one synergistic team in the end. I will say though that condi ranger (settlers bunker to be precise) is probably a better and more versatile pick than power ranger over all, but if they can make that team comp work, then I think its fine.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in PvP

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Well after watching that part it really didn’t seem like a huge deal. Yeah, I personally don’t like trash talking but the OP for this post made it seem like a huge horrible deal, when it turns out that it wasn’t really that big of a deal, since it was only one little moment.

As for the ranger comment, I don’t think its a huge deal either. Rotations and teamwork mean so much more than what builds and classes you play, as long as they all create one synergistic team in the end. I will say though that condi ranger (settlers bunker to be precise) is probably a better and more versatile pick than power ranger over all, but if they can make that team comp work, then I think its fine.

yes but to a unskilled or non team player watching this for casual entertainment will take those comments to heart comming from a high tier player , the trash talk at the end i don’t care that much.

the ill attempt at Sarcasum about ranger Viability not needed.

in PvP

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

yes but to a unskilled or non team player watching this for casual entertainment will take those comments to heart comming from a high tier player , the trash talk at the end i don’t care that much.

the ill attempt at Sarcasum about ranger Viability not needed.

In a competitive game, there will always be optimal picks, and non optimal picks. Our idea of what is and isn’t optimal is based on what we see that people can do with that pick. Maybe the reason that power ranger isn’t considered viable for them is because there haven’t been many players good enough to show the classes true potential in a competitve environment. Besides the ranger in this tourney, I know Eurantien has shown that power ranger can work well in the past, but since we haven’t seen much of him in recent tourney streams, its not really in the public perception.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in PvP

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

GW2 e-sports is a hysterical failure

I doubt many people even watch this, so why you even concerned OP? this is not going to hurt the GW2 pvp perception lol.

“last tourney I ever watch” – cool , thanks, bye. GW2 pvp scene lost a viewer. literally, no one cares.

Grow a pair OP. Omg he said a bad word on a live tourney. Really? thats your reason for making this useless thread?

The fact runescape PvP gets more twitch viewers than any kind of gw2 pvp tourney shows you sad this is.

But no, the complaint from OP is about bad sportmanship lol.
This thread is a disaster.

in PvP

Archaon.9524

QQ flows strong in this one.

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Yea, this will keep me away from ESports. I want dedicated competition, not people acting like children without any self control.

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Whatever was said, ac is casual.. it has no designs to be esports just to introduce players to the tournament format, coupled with generous rewards.

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

I would not be interested in any sport or esport if it didn’t have trash talk and drama.

in PvP

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Having Nos as a caster made it three times more enjoyable to watch.

x1 because he accurately called the missplays.
x2 because hating on vampirism runes.
x3 because he seemed to genuinely enjoy the matches and the plays and that really carried over to the viewer.

A random ‘F*** YOU’ happens all the time.
They just said Ranger is not as optimal as it could be but definetly an interesting choice. That’s it.

This is nothing worth making a thread about.

(edited by Khenzy.9348)

in PvP

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Wait.. Where’s the disaster?

The OP made it seem like the entire stream devolved into a flame war. It was literally one single “eff you” during a stomp that I actually had to rewind just to catch.

What’s the crime here? That the shout caster didn’t have profanity filter on? If one guy yelling out one single expletive during a tournament anyone can join constitutes as an “unprofessional disaster” then we may as well have no tournaments for any competition ever.

(And he made a joke on the current state of Ranger -while giving the ranger player props- that is in no way trash talk.)

in PvP

Posted by: Nier.8741

Nier.8741

The OP is kind of flat out naive, maybe he’s like around 13 years old?

There is no rule against BM, and it’s probably a friendly BM anyways.

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

Bmcasting is common among players who clawed their way up through pick up game and team drama and dont have experience casting.

I think he will improve as a caster given time.

(edited by duster.7013)

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

I was fooled by the title. What disaster?

Only one thing comes into mind with GW2 tourney related disasters:

WTS China

For those of you who missed it, Twitch streaming failed/disconnected immediately after the finals began. NA and EU viewers had to invade the Chinese equivalent of Twitch in order to view.

We did get a treat from Anet through an unforgettable musical performance by a Chinese hip hop boy band.

And it occurred during weird NA hours, like 4am PST

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

This one need a thumbs up.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

in PvP

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

Social Justice Warriors unite!

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

in PvP

Posted by: Drakortha.6974

Drakortha.6974

i laughed.

15 letters

Ranger, Warrior, Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

It’s the fault of the shoutcaster hosting the event. Takes 2 seconds to turn off chat bubbles. That being said who cares, someone threw out the F-bomb? On the internet? I never would have imagined such horrors. /thread

in PvP

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

Didn’t see anything that offensive.

Back when I started playing MMO’s this is mere child’s play…..people in general need to grow a thicker skin

in PvP

Posted by: NSKL.3174

NSKL.3174

Another view on the casters would be nice in my honest opinion.
Without mentioning names I will admit that I have witnessed poor shout casting displaying next to no understanding of the game and unnecessary trash talk directly aimed at certain players. As this in no way can be beneficial for ANet I wonder if any ANet officials follow the live-streams to review weather or not the shoutcasters meet the expectations that should be fulfilled. As the streams are not shown on the official GW2 Twitch I don’t know if this is of any concern but I believe that the environment around the PvP scene could be greatly improved if we have official casters, approved by ANet, for the AG tournaments.

YNDT

in PvP

Posted by: Nassau.6713

Nassau.6713

Good afternoon wonderful people of ANET.

in PvP

Posted by: sendmark.4731

sendmark.4731

The /say behaviour should be unacceptable. No idea what the ele was complaining about either to spark it off, he was 1v1 against a necro, was always going to get +1ed given how op ele is in those situations.

The caster comments on Ranger were totally fair though. Is he supposed to pretend Ranger is balanced? That would be dishonest and not doing his job. He did not disrespect the ranger player in any way, complimented his game play even.

in PvP

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Oh boy! They said the f-word! In /s chat!
Golly gee they deserve to be permabanned…

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Yay everybody gets a gold medal! because I’m too sensitive! CODDLE ME!

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: Elincia.5174

Elincia.5174

I was the elementalist on the other team and I have no idea how any of you would get offended by that. I am very familiar with the team we fought and am friends with most of them. It was literally playful banter. There was no harmful intention behind it. This hasn’t been the first time those words have been used in Guild Wars 2 and won’t be the last. If you have children watching COMPETITIVE tournaments, then that’s at your hands, not the players. I am not limiting my language because of a couple kids watching. It is the Internet, nothing is censored. You should be the smart one to figure that out.

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

I was the elementalist on the other team and I have no idea how any of you would get offended by that. I am very familiar with the team we fought and am friends with most of them. It was literally playful banter. There was no harmful intention behind it. This hasn’t been the first time those words have been used in Guild Wars 2 and won’t be the last. If you have children watching COMPETITIVE tournaments, then that’s at your hands, not the players. I am not limiting my language because of a couple kids watching. It is the Internet, nothing is censored. You should be the smart one to figure that out.

+1

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

from what I’ve heard and watching many ESL NA Cups, Storm is doing a very good job, no reason to be salty at him.

And yes, rules need to be clear about ingame chat and simply prohibit it. No reason to boycott Academy gaming, which are doing great things for the community, it just shows that these particular individuals are clearly immature and hurtful for the community and should be banned from further tournaments.

Don’t get all hyper about this, or is this really sth. new for you? You can’t 100% guarantee that nothing like this will happen, you just need to put the rules and regulations in place to punish such behaviour and keep it at a minimum.