Ask (and learn) from an actually good player.

in PvP

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Actual pleb here, unranked but probably bottom of bronze league. Mostly I play WvW but I’m finding that’s a bad place to get good at thief/daredevil.

I’m going to try it in PvP instead. What should I focus on when trying to pick up thief, to be less of a burden to the team? I’m averaging 300-350ms ping, am I wasting my time on this class?

in PvP

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

yo helseth, which game balance do you prefer: pre 3 traitlines or S5 post HoT? honest answer

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in PvP

Posted by: Vlad.1739

Vlad.1739

I find it funny how moderators probably would have shut down nothelseth’s threads if it was anyone else but they just come in and give warnings.

I agree with the feedback. Seems like I just need to learn to follow through better as in get better.

in PvP

Posted by: Sledge Stone.9017

Sledge Stone.9017

Hello notHelseth. I’m not a good pvper but I’m learning slowly. I just got into silver, I mainly play DH this season with a combo meditrapper/burn build, but I also enjoy my Reaper and Berserker. But with each class (mostly with my DH) I seem to have the most difficulty against Shoutbow and/or bunker druids.

Usually the scenario is I’ll come across one holding a point and I’ll 1 vs 1 them. They generally stay off the point and attack at range with longbow and bristleback. They always somehow get their bristleback to be on the opposite side of me and will strafe to ensure I stay in the middle of their attack so I can’t get the pet damaged in any aoe or cleaves while focusing on the druid. I get the druid down in hp, but then they toggle celestial avatar to proc stealth and condi cleanse and then heal while stealthed. The pet taunt annoys the hell out of me too because they must be reading my moves well and know when I’m about to burst. On my necro I can usually out sustain them and harass them with staff marks until they eventually go down. My warrior shield will reflect all that damage back to them as I close the distance to mace them so its not as much of an issue. But with my DH my bursts are often taunted by the pet (same with my berserker bursts). At that point the fight keeps going on until somebody +1s the fight because the druid keeps getting distance between us and I keep teleporting back to the pet with judge’s intervention or sword 2.

Question: Is there ever a time where its best to burst down the pet and focus solely on destroying it over the druid in a 1 vs 1 to take a chunk out of their dps? Sure they’ll swap to smokescale but the bristleback seems to be the more annoying pet to me because of it’s ranged attacks.

in PvP

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

Hello notHelseth. I’m not a good pvper but I’m learning slowly. I just got into silver, I mainly play DH this season with a combo meditrapper/burn build, but I also enjoy my Reaper and Berserker. But with each class (mostly with my DH) I seem to have the most difficulty against Shoutbow and/or bunker druids.

Usually the scenario is I’ll come across one holding a point and I’ll 1 vs 1 them. They generally stay off the point and attack at range with longbow and bristleback. They always somehow get their bristleback to be on the opposite side of me and will strafe to ensure I stay in the middle of their attack so I can’t get the pet damaged in any aoe or cleaves while focusing on the druid. I get the druid down in hp, but then they toggle celestial avatar to proc stealth and condi cleanse and then heal while stealthed. The pet taunt annoys the hell out of me too because they must be reading my moves well and know when I’m about to burst. On my necro I can usually out sustain them and harass them with staff marks until they eventually go down. My warrior shield will reflect all that damage back to them as I close the distance to mace them so its not as much of an issue. But with my DH my bursts are often taunted by the pet (same with my berserker bursts). At that point the fight keeps going on until somebody +1s the fight because the druid keeps getting distance between us and I keep teleporting back to the pet with judge’s intervention or sword 2.

Question: Is there ever a time where its best to burst down the pet and focus solely on destroying it over the druid in a 1 vs 1 to take a chunk out of their dps? Sure they’ll swap to smokescale but the bristleback seems to be the more annoying pet to me because of it’s ranged attacks.

i can give you some tips as an ex-pvp veteran with 8500 pvp matches. first, if you don’t die that’s already good. second, never focus the pet, never. druids are most vulnerable after they leave celestial avatar, that’s when you want to burst/condi bomb them (they’re weak to condis). if they’re not on the point you don’t have to be either, use LoS to dodge the bristleback while trying to stick to the druid with sword. i’m neither familiar with dh, nor the build you play, but you should never slot more than your heal trap and the damage-passthrough whatever it’s called trap. if they’re in celestial avatar don’t get too close because of the root/slow, so range them with the lb you should have (i guess?). on berserker you shouldn’t have that many issues because you have stab in berserker form. kiting and regenerating hp is key on berserker. and about guardian, what i can tell you from past experiences, guards have a hard time against classes that can kite and outsustain them (for example, pre hot hammer or gs guard vs d/d ele). i’m not really familiar with the matchups atm, but if you feel like it’s not something you can win then try not to lose it.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in PvP

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

RL Pleb here, just plebbin’ in to ask:

What toppings should I order on my pizza?

Also, when the enemy team has an ele/ranger combo, what’s the single best option to help nullify that winning combo?

in PvP

Posted by: jewishjoyride.4693

jewishjoyride.4693

Hey KittyMeowMeow! I’m in the weeds here and would love your, and anyone elses advice.

Placement matches dropped me into silver 2, not bad. Climbed to gold 2. Awesome, fun. Had a 68% or so win rate up to that point. Since hitting Gold 2 my win rate has tanked and I’m now at the point where I’m actually losing more matches than winning.

Now this should be a case of matchmaking working correctly. I hit my correct rank and my mmr is settling in around it’s current point. The problem is I think the matches I’ve lost are all winnable. In my last 10 games I have 3 wins and 7 losses. 3 of those losses are by less than 50 points. 500-496 loss, 500-482 loss, and 504-464 loss. The other losses I’ve had have all been throws as well, with my side starting out the match winning opening fights, getting 2 caps, getting maybe a 50 pt lead. At some point in the match our team will end up dropping fights and we never see a 2 cap again.

What do I do? What can I try differently? I want to take those games that are losses by less than 50 points and turn every one of them into a win.

A bit more info to help you out. I main Druid, and I solo queue. I understand that Druid is capable of filling a number of pvp roles with the current meta builds. I bring heals and peels for my team mates, specifically the strongest ranged support in the meta. I can rez, not as well as scrapper but better than tempest. I have stronger ranged, single target damage than the other support classes as well. Druid has a favorable or even match up in most 1v1s. And with a bit of mobility I can rotate out of fights or decap, etc….

I try focusing on healing my team mates in skirmishes. I try dominating side points. I have tried predominantly looking for 1v1s and making a difference that way. I have tried holding outnumbered fights to carry my team (even had an extended 1v2 vs both of the enemy teams necros, that I was winning, still lost). I have tried favoring S/D, to play a more mobile and harder to kill game. I have tried favoring LB, pitching in a bit more damage to help team mates secure kills and have a stronger off point presence.

I am not a perfect player by any means and I get that the information I’ve provided may not be enough to get an entirely accurate response. But if I keep losing matches by less than 50 points, there has to be a way to turn those matches into wins.

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

I’ve got a question. Running Rifle/GS Zerker Berserker this season, at 1600 and climbing atm (I’m looking to see where rifle/gs caps out). Mesmer main otherwise.

Anyway

• Scenario: The fight has been toe to toe, both teams have scored a couple hundred points each. Then for whatever reason the other team manages to overcome/outplay your team across the map, wiping the team fight, and killing or forcing a disengage on any/all side nodes. The team needs to regroup/restart, what’s the best strategy at this point?

in PvP

Posted by: SolarDragon.7063

SolarDragon.7063

DH meditrapper, GOLD 2 to silver 2 depending how much MM hates me so far.

What 1v2’s can I win and how?

(edited by SolarDragon.7063)

in PvP

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

DH, gold 2 to silver 2 depending how much MM hates me so far.

as a DH, you can 1v2 any bronze tier players regardless of class if they’re bronze enough.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

More specifically…

Burn DH can darn near successfully 1v2 any combination of:
Rangers, Engi, (maybe not in plat tier)
Necros
Some Wars
Counters = Combination of DH/Ele/War
(Power DH will shut you down unless they’re rezing some one in your aoe symbols.)

We dont’ do particularly well 1v1 unless they’re maybe a ranger but in groups where aoe symbols hit multi targets, well, that will always do insane damages. This is particularly seen vs Rangers.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: SolarDragon.7063

SolarDragon.7063

More specifically…

Necros
Some Wars
(Power DH will shut you down unless they’re rezing some one in your aoe symbols.)

We dont’ do particularly well 1v1 unless they’re maybe a ranger but in groups where aoe symbols hit multi targets, well, that will always do insane damages. This is particularly seen vs Rangers.

Ew, meditrapper not burn DH.

in PvP

Posted by: Orianna.6183

Orianna.6183

Hello again nothelseth,

Went on a huge losing streak and dropped back to G3 and having a see-saw w/l. My winrate is almost 50% now.

Say I am a druid/DH vs an engi, how do I successfully survive or win after a thief ambushes me? 1v1 I can hold my own and even win but the general scenario is I get spiked and am forced to retreat. But in the end thief chases me down with dash and I either get auto-ed to death or risk a heal and get head-shot.

This has been happening often on the side nodes of temple and legacy.

As power/condi warrior how do I beat (kill) condi mesmer? (I use signet of might, endure pain and the resistance stance I forgot the name of)
As power I find myself kited while they slowly whittle me down with condi shatters.
As condi I found the most success in not trying to burst (stack) all the condis at once but slowly applying them and interrupting when they’re using shield 4.
Is rabid or wanderer better against condi mesmer?

(edited by Orianna.6183)

in PvP

Posted by: nothelseth.4621

nothelseth.4621

Hello again nothelseth,

Went on a huge losing streak and dropped back to G3 and having a see-saw w/l. My winrate is almost 50% now.

Say I am a druid/DH vs an engi, how do I successfully survive or win after a thief ambushes me? 1v1 I can hold my own and even win but the general scenario is I get spiked and am forced to retreat. But in the end thief chases me down with dash and I either get auto-ed to death or risk a heal and get head-shot.

This has been happening often on the side nodes of temple and legacy.

As power/condi warrior how do I beat (kill) condi mesmer? (I use signet of might, endure pain and the resistance stance I forgot the name of)
As power I find myself kited while they slowly whittle me down with condi shatters.
As condi I found the most success in not trying to burst (stack) all the condis at once but slowly applying them and interrupting when they’re using shield 4.
Is rabid or wanderer better against condi mesmer?

There shouldnt be a single 1v2 you ’’can’’ win so it’s a really hard question to answer. Almost all of the 1v2s/1v3s I did while climbing the lower ranks was me facing classes where if piloted at a top level I shouldnt be even able to 1v1.

The general logic when trying to outplay win 1v2s is that classes that’ll have a difficult time cleansing your burn will be easier. If a weaker player uses his condi cleanse for no reason (lets say a necro uses his mark 4 to do damage on you) then thats an opportunity. On the other hand, mesmer and warrior will constantly have some form of resource to deal with a single stack of condi.

Medtrappers best 1v2 opportunities are vs all the squishies out there. Thief, mesmer, rev, necros, other dhs. People you can just explode. If they mistplay they might run back and forth in your test of faith and get rekt.

‘’I’ve got a question. Running Rifle/GS Zerker Berserker this season, at 1600 and climbing atm (I’m looking to see where rifle/gs caps out). Mesmer main otherwise.
Anyway
Scenario: The fight has been toe to toe, both teams have scored a couple hundred points each. Then for whatever reason the other team manages to overcome/outplay your team across the map, wiping the team fight, and killing or forcing a disengage on any/all side nodes. The team needs to regroup/restart, what’s the best strategy at this point?’’

Fun fact, there is a european player in the legend/top plat ranks named Ja ck y who exclusively plays that build and has succeeded to remain at the top using it.

The best way to regroup in soloque is for you to not die (seriously the carry mantra is never die) and then push towards far, try to get two or more players to outnumber you but dont push the node. If we are talking about legacy you could run to outside their base, as long as they remain 2 players

This buys time for your team to push close together, something I’d advice you type in teamchat.

@orianna
In general you should not be using your signet of stone for 1v1 when there is a thief on the enemy team. Druid shouldnt need it. If you find yourself being caught without it all the time then try practicing duels where you save the signet of stone.

When thief comes, immune as much damage as you can, get your astral up, stealth and disengage.

for warrior vs mesmer:

1. Headbutt the shield4 using signet of might the instant the mesmer does it
2. kite or zerker stance when the mesmer has three clones. If you can avoid being too prsesured after hes used up his clones then hes screwed
3. cond war with bow has a pretty poor matchup vs mesmer. Zerk war with gs shreks it.

The best solution is find a mesmer friend who beats you, duel him 3259023589 timse until you beat him, discard that friend and find a better one. One hour of focused, practiced duels in a matchup will teach you more about that matchup than finding and fighting that matchup 30 times in a game.

in PvP

Posted by: MadVisions.4529

MadVisions.4529

discard that friend and find a better one.

so cruel… :’D

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

I have a question. Say you’re in a close match and your team has capped mid and home. For some odd reason, you are the only person at mid as 3 to 4 enemies approach. You check mini map and no allies even close. Do you stay and try to hold point knowing that you will get rekt very fast or do you run and give up the point uncontested but try to aid elsewhere?

in PvP

Posted by: Sledge Stone.9017

Sledge Stone.9017

i can give you some tips as an ex-pvp veteran with 8500 pvp matches. first, if you don’t die that’s already good. second, never focus the pet, never. druids are most vulnerable after they leave celestial avatar, that’s when you want to burst/condi bomb them (they’re weak to condis). if they’re not on the point you don’t have to be either, use LoS to dodge the bristleback while trying to stick to the druid with sword. i’m neither familiar with dh, nor the build you play, but you should never slot more than your heal trap and the damage-passthrough whatever it’s called trap. if they’re in celestial avatar don’t get too close because of the root/slow, so range them with the lb you should have (i guess?). on berserker you shouldn’t have that many issues because you have stab in berserker form. kiting and regenerating hp is key on berserker. and about guardian, what i can tell you from past experiences, guards have a hard time against classes that can kite and outsustain them (for example, pre hot hammer or gs guard vs d/d ele). i’m not really familiar with the matchups atm, but if you feel like it’s not something you can win then try not to lose it.

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it. You guessed most of my build correct. I only have those two traps and longbow. I always got out longbow’d by them which is why I kept swapping back to sword. I’ll try to focus more on bursting them right after they exit celestial avatar.

in PvP

Posted by: Shadowstep.6049

Shadowstep.6049

Ok, let’s get a few things out there. This thread is ok — it could actually be really valuable to those who participate in it on a reasonable level. I see it as an honest attempt by a good player to offer help to other players. Having said that, let’s keep the tone relatively respectful and — as I’ve said before — save the overt aggression for the battleground.

A few of you were concerned about the use of the term “pleb.” It’s not the greatest term, but I seem to remember when newbie/noob/n00b was considered the height of insult and it’s now commonplace and pretty acceptable across the board.

The ground rule is this:

• A generic reference = ok. Example: “The average pleb will…”
  • A direct referral to another player as a pleb = not ok. “You’re a pleb.” “You play like a pleb.” “Your socks carry the unmistakable odor of plebism.”
  • Other types of insults aren’t good, either.

If you’re going to report, look at what’s being said. If you’re going to try an attack or a counter attack, may I politely introduce you to your choice of PvP modes rather than doing it on the forums?

I am honestly speechless.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Ok, let’s get a few things out there. This thread is ok — it could actually be really valuable to those who participate in it on a reasonable level. I see it as an honest attempt by a good player to offer help to other players. Having said that, let’s keep the tone relatively respectful and — as I’ve said before — save the overt aggression for the battleground.

A few of you were concerned about the use of the term “pleb.” It’s not the greatest term, but I seem to remember when newbie/noob/n00b was considered the height of insult and it’s now commonplace and pretty acceptable across the board.

The ground rule is this:

• A direct referral to another player as a pleb = not ok. “You’re a pleb.” “You play like a pleb.” “Your socks carry the unmistakable odor of plebism.”

If you’re going to report, look at what’s being said. If you’re going to try an attack or a counter attack, may I politely introduce you to your choice of PvP modes rather than doing it on the forums?

I think a lot of us are.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

glad we have hels….NOThelseth teaching them plebs now say any chance we will het that mesmer guild from your sub goal as well as the shirtless stream on yutubzz
also something extra i believe iv heard you saying mesmer is better at 1v2 rather than 2v2 and i think you are talking about 1v2 that take place on far i suppose (not a pvp player whatsokitteningever) whys that?

in PvP

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

glad we have hels….NOThelseth teaching them plebs now say any chance we will het that mesmer guild from your sub goal as well as the shirtless stream on yutubzz
also something extra i believe iv heard you saying mesmer is better at 1v2 rather than 2v2 and i think you are talking about 1v2 that take place on far i suppose (not a pvp player whatsokitteningever) whys that?

I believe I can answer your 1v2 vs. 2v2 question.
The reason is that mesmer is able to kite and survive for a long period of time, contesting a point, as well as two people, leading to your allies winning a 4v3 elsewhere on the map. When forced into a 2v2 situation, you lost that advantage (allies are fighting 3v3), and now you have to actually try to kill your opponents rather than stall them. Mesmer in general is better at spiking down 1 target, so a 1v1 situation or a 2v1 (moa+burst kill) situation is more advantageous compared to a lot of the 2v2 matchups that you might encounter.

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

in PvP

Posted by: Shadownox.5968

Shadownox.5968

Sorry if this question is too general, but what should I be thinking about in the start of a match as a thief, and how do I know what rotations are good to make?

EDIT: sorry forgot to say that I’ve been away from the game for 6 months. I was ruby before that. Probably best to treat me as a low rank player. It’s steadily coming back to me though.

(edited by Shadownox.5968)

in PvP

nothelseth.4621

Alemfi answered this perfectly. To add to it; mesmer is extremely good at doing one huge spike on a person. However, if there is anything to support that target I wont be able to spike for a pretty long time after that. And our average consistent dps is the worst out of all the meta classes by a long shot. So for instance, I cont split moa condi burst a rev but he gets stealthed and cleansed by a druid After this I can’t do anything to kill that rev, they’ll resustain and my ally will be effectively 2v1.

On the other hand, if I hit a proper cont split burst on either rev or druid 1v1 I can use that to win the duel which means that as long as either of the people 2v1ing me leaves I can kill the other player. If they keep 2v1ing me I’ll just run around outside the point, forcing them to make a move.

@Solstace the main focus is to never die. When you die you no longer have any carry ability. It’s up to you to make the judgement if your team will win from you dying on middle, holding it for 10s and then being 2capped then do it.

If not, push far, try to make more players chase you and have your team win middle back (likely only decap depending on map anyway) while you get outnumbered far

in PvP

Posted by: grayskull.2367

grayskull.2367

So i main a Necro and atmo im in gold 3 and slowly climbing but i was wonder if you had any advise when most game i have 2/3 player gunning for me and my team seam to do nothing to help levitate there focus on me, and just resign me to die!

Which is not smart in my book, as most of the time i’m the one putting people down most damage/kill some games. “I admit it is hard for me to get the stomp of myself and i do rely sometime on team mates to do it for me, i will mostly go for the cleave with Reaper form if a group is down on point.”
I know I need to get better at stomping players, Its just not easy as a Necro when you’re skills are on cool-down.

i have no trouble with most 1v1s apart from condi Mesmer they are the worst they deal sill condi burst damage. I can even handle some 1v2s or keep them busy for some time at least.

But when 2,3 or more of there team hunt for me most of the game, effectively taking me out the game every time they see me what can i do about this?

Yah yah I know target the Necro first all ways!, this needs to change dose it not?

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

More specifically…

Necros
Some Wars

Ew, meditrapper not burn DH.

To answer your question, you never will. Unless they’re bad. I stopped winning 1v2’s in Gold.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: HumanComplex.1648

HumanComplex.1648

Silver 1 pleb here. I know you mentioned making the question very specific in terms of class vs class but I feel like I’m not even remotely there yet. More constructive feedback for me would be more like a ‘homework assignment’ fundamentals since my mechanics and minimap monitoring are, as I’m slowly realizing, complete garbage.

Pretend I bought the game Yesterday (after some matches it feels that way), what are the top 3 things I should work on as someone who has limited time? 1v1? video recording and review? Is it constructive to see every loss as your own fault? What are the best 3 classes to learn ( strong presence in every meta, 1 dps, 1 condi, 1 ultility/support).

in PvP

Posted by: novaspire.9801

novaspire.9801

The ground rule is this:

I think a lot of us are.

I completely agree, the fact that this kind of condescending and insulting attitude is not only acceptable, but supported by the moderators is a sad sight. If anyone but helseth had made it because of his fame I bet it would have been flamed and removed by now.

To Gaile, I would add, I and many other consider pleb to still be an insulting word. I’d refer you to the case where an MP in england got into considerably trouble for using the word to refer to police. I have no idea whether it is a different culture thing, but even so I can’t see how it could be used in a decent light. The use of it just isnt needed.

in PvP

Posted by: Dragon.8762

Dragon.8762

Dear nothelseth,

What do I do as a rev. Kappa

Oh yeah, I’m in plat.

in PvP

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

A question about mesmer : how to use staff ? I see that if i play meta with staff i have a lot of survivability problems when i switch to it . Ok, i kite some attack with staff 2 but for the rest i feel myself naked. I am dancing between gold and silver now and i see that i win more 1vs 1 with sword /shield / scepter torch rather than with staff becouse i have much more survivability and more dbp ( torch burning is quite fun ) but i know that it is my problem and that i am not able to use staff

in PvP

Posted by: Jzaku.9765

Jzaku.9765

Fun fact, there is a european player in the legend/top plat ranks named Ja ck y who exclusively plays that build and has succeeded to remain at the top using it.

Rifle/GS Warr player here since S2, bouncing between Plat 1-2 and wanting to up my game. Does this Jacky person stream? How often do you match up with him and what’s his general strategy? There’s almost nobody I can watch that plays this same meme so I’m super interested in his confident matchups and his strategy against specific meta builds.

in PvP

Posted by: Orianna.6183

Orianna.6183

Hello again,

Bumping this thread because it’s a shame not to takes the opportunity to ask and learn from one of the best.

I want to ask to see if I could improve my decision making.
Here’s the scenario:
Map: Foefire
Comp: Me (wanderer condi warr), aurashare ele, bunker druid, zerker axe necro, DH
vs
core bunker guard, bunker engi, GS/rifle warr and 2 other DH.

I capped home and rest of team challenged mid. We wiped them and had a 100 point lead.

Here’s where things went a bit downhill though.

Our ele decided to solo cap far and was held by 1 respawn; 3 of my teammates overrotated home to 1 enemy. I was left 3v1 mid and died to 2 DH and rifle warr. Teammates cleaned up home and regrouped with ele in mid which they had capped.

On respawn I saw my team 4v5 in mid and they were surviving so I made the decision to go far. Unfortunately while I was capping, enemy managed to down some teammates and cap mid. Then they came to outnumber me. We slowly gained advantage because my team managed to win mid while I was outnumbered.

At the final 100 points or so enemy changed their tactics and left the bunker guard to stalemate/kite me on my point. Through our early lead we eventually won.

My questions are:
1. In the 1v3 mid should I have just left it immediately and gone to far to the ele? I couldn’t decide between holding the node a bit longer and was afraid I would get chased down by double DH.
2. Was it better for me to decap far or help my team in mid?
3. Towards the end where the 1 bunker guard kept kiting me, should I have left the node and help the team (we were losing the teamfights oddly enough) or just hold the node?

Thanks in advance.

in PvP

nothelseth.4621

A question about mesmer : how to use staff ? I see that if i play meta with staff i have a lot of survivability problems when i switch to it . Ok, i kite some attack with staff 2 but for the rest i feel myself naked. I am dancing between gold and silver now and i see that i win more 1vs 1 with sword /shield / scepter torch rather than with staff becouse i have much more survivability and more dbp ( torch burning is quite fun ) but i know that it is my problem and that i am not able to use staff

I know its a silly self plug but you should really check out gameplay from my stream. You’ll see how staff is properly used.

twitch.tv/thelordhelseth

I mean erm not me I’m not helseth but hes pretty good w staff.

@jzaku he doesnt stream, generally he just plays super zerky and catches people off guard with absurd bursts. I know he has the passive unblockable signet on top of having it on utility slot. Try to avoid fights with too much sustain and suprise oneshot people.

@orianna If I were you I would have gone far to the ele. Middle is dead and you’re not getting any help. You will die, ele will get outnumbered and die and map will be theirs (which is very bad on legacy)

Decapping far is always super risky. I wouldnt have disliked it if you had one of your dpsers on close such as DH in 1v1 because then only having the necro dying on mid isnt too bad. Once one dpser dies it’s impossible for the other one to not drop in a 4v3. On the other hand, killing a necro in a 3v3 doesnt mean you will quickly kill the two bunkers left on mid, making a decap safer. Losing a 4v4 is always huge momentum wise.

Holding the node was enough to win you the game so I think you did a good job with that. Giving a bunker guardian a fullcap on legacy is never a good idea.

in PvP

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

I know its a silly self plug but you should really check out gameplay from my stream. You’ll see how staff is properly used.

twitch.tv/thelordhelseth

I mean erm not me I’m not helseth but hes pretty good w staff.

I know he is really good. My question was and my doubts are about the time to switch to it. I obviously usually open a fight with staff for the 2 clones , but usually problems for me begin when i switch to sword, use my skills and then i switch back to staff…. i feel naked with it sometime

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I painfully learned that you don’t want to use phase retreat for the clone. Save it for jumping away from the enemy. This works especially well in Forest and Legacy mid.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

I play in Gold League on a Shoutbow Druid. I mainly always start by going mid and applying pressure while supporting my team with revives and heals.

• If it looks like the fight at mid will be lost and home is fine, should I ever try to push far?
  • If there is only 1 enemy on far is it worth my time to fight them for it or should I just leave it alone?
  • Should I ever be the one to stay and guard home?

Just trying to improve my rotations for those games where I really need to carry.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: David.5974

David.5974

Hi helseth,
I have a question for you.

I was stuck at plat ~T2 with scrapper. I run only soloq and sometimes me and my mates don’t understand each one strategy. I know that engi is not suited to carry, but for me it’s impossible to learn new class (boring as hell).

So to the point: do you think, that use non-metabuild can be advantage for my team? Ppl know now every metabuild in plat T1+ , so what if I bring something, that they don’t know it. Can be this advantage? Or just stay in meta corner and wait for luck.

Thanks for answers

“Doctor suggest me, to stop play with engi because my fingers are broken.
So.. I start play scrapper. "

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

How do you manage your mouse for ground targeting skills. I tend to lose track of mine because it disappears when you use your mouse to turn.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

that’s a good question, I’d like to hear the answer to that one too.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

nothelseth.4621

I painfully learned that you don’t want to use phase retreat for the clone. Save it for jumping away from the enemy. This works especially well in Forest and Legacy mid.

This is situational. Getting a 2nd clone is extremely important for illusionary reversion which will generate more hp, alacrity and counterpressure. making sure to keep in mind about proper jumps without target is a good idea though.

@Shaogin.2679

1. if you’re absolutely certain mid is lost then yes its a good idea. More than likely the enemy team will send 2-3 players to kill you after your team got killed on middle. This gives you an opportunity to juke around and waste their time while your teammates respawn and push close→ mid and win the momentum back
2. As a druid pushing into either DH or Thief is fine but outside of that you’re likely only gonna stalemate. If you need to stalemate do it but its not a carry move
3.Druid is excellent at guarding home. Let’s beon the same page here though: dont afk on close waiting for an enemy to come. If it’s kyhlo/legacy then sit on the highground and use your range while having awareness of the closenode, chase when it’s being decapped. If it’s forest then stay on middle until you notice someone on the enemy team is missing (use the minimap). With this you can try to intercept.

It’s better to be decapped and having stayed on middle rather than not being decapped at all w hile afking on close and your team is getting wiped 4v5.

@David.5974

I think engi has plenty carry potential. I personally hate facing zan because he keeps baiting people into 2v1ing him and never dying. During this time our map is losing since we are outnumbered.

Ideas for a more offensive engi (which I feel like you’re looking for) can be marauder amulet+adaptive armor+ rampage elixir.

@Faux Play.6104

I’m personally keeping track of it with experience. A good idea though is to try what sind does and have a software which highlights your mouse like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2FnzIbCQjc

in PvP

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

I am intrigued by you responses, but not so much of your gloating ( “from an actually good player”) but you seem to be more helpful toward the general community so I have a question.

Best class/type of build best for going against a party that has 3-4 DH’s, at least 1 being a burn DH?

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in PvP

nothelseth.4621

^ support ele completely counters that comp

in PvP

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

I want to get better at the mesmer vs mesmer matchup (both meta build). But i don’t know people who play mesmer at the lvl i am. So i can’t practice 1v1ing them. What are general stuff to watch out for in a mesmer vs mesmer(pure 1v1, no help from either team). I am almost legendary on EU, but i have lost almost every mesmer 1v1 at that lvl. I climbed that high by just avoiding to fight them, unless we outnumbered. Obviously the ones at the lower lvls i kept beating cause they were just bad and spamming shatters randomly.
tldr: Am bad at mesmer vs mesmer, no one to practice with. Need some tips

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in PvP

Posted by: R O C.6574

R O C.6574

…finally back from “vacation.” What are the best classes/builds to lead into team fights, especially the opening fight on mid?

in PvP

nothelseth.4621

If you are against a pro league player which your confident in winning/holding 1v1 is it better to isolate them from the team to prevent carry or just try to win teamfights?

isolating the best players and either stalemating them or beating them is definitely the best way to play. I’ve had games where I’ve faced players that pretty much afking outside my point, forcing me to stay there but refusing to fight me so that I can’t kill them and move on. This is an excellent tactic if I’m hardcarrying the game and if my team loses all fights without me. I’ve lost games to that dumb tactic (feels really dumb since what hes doing should qualify as a misplay)

Most important part imo for mes 1v1 is shield 4. Dodge the enemy shield 4 at any cost and try to land your own. It’ll give you the clone advantage you need to outdamage them

in PvP

Posted by: ulchanar.4309

ulchanar.4309

Hi Helseth and thanks for supporting the PvP community!

I play Drazeh’s power warrior build. Had good success so far from bronze T3 to gold T2 by pushing far at start. If there is a good matchup for me I’ll take it, else I head to mid and join the teamfight. My question is: on Forest if I meet an enemy at beach on my way to far, what do I do?
- fight him at beach?
- continue pushing towards far?
- pull him back to close?
- head towards mid?

in PvP

Posted by: Rettan.9603

Rettan.9603

Hi Helseth and thanks for supporting the PvP community!

I play Drazeh’s power warrior build. Had good success so far from bronze T3 to gold T2 by pushing far at start. If there is a good matchup for me I’ll take it, else I head to mid and join the teamfight. My question is: on Forest if I meet an enemy at beach on my way to far, what do I do?
- fight him at beach?
- continue pushing towards far?
- pull him back to close?
- head towards mid?

Warrior too, I would say try to hold him as beach until close is capped (or near to cap) and then look where he is going. When he moves to close, follow him, else… I don’t know, go for mid? I think going far is an bad idea, because it will be capped and maybe defended.
But its most time an bad idea going straight to far at the beginning, crossing is okay, but look what enemy does in such an moment.
(Or what would Mr. Nothelseth say?)

My question: I play warrior since beginning and play in Platin 2 most time. But with the Meta-Zerker it is really hard for me. (I’m an straight forward and reactional player, not that good in mind games…)
On other builds (Condi meta) it’s much easier, but the best I feel with an +1 rifle play style. (An popular thief said, it’s bad and I know why he is right.)
So, any ideas how to get better in mind games or other changes?
I tried to watch stream from other warriors, but they are so rare (Drazeh streams sometimes, but he’s the only one :-( )

in PvP

Posted by: Nickzor.2453

Nickzor.2453

Hello Lord Kittykittymeowmew Mesmer main mid tier plat here. In general I have the same issue of teams that cant win team fights that I give them outnumbered either by instant wipes via moa or kiting 2 on far. As a mesmer once I blow all my shatters and get a kill or 2 I generally feel pretty useless in team fights so I go on rotation duty. How ever even If I get a confirmed kill and a second down and there is no conceivable way my team should lose a team fight they seem to do it on repeat while im decapping far or dueling home and what not. In sitations like this where my teams are so inept at team fighting should I be waiting around even with zero CDs in an attempt to do something minor to win the 5v3 I created? Or should I just accept the fact that they will lose it and move on to decap?

Second question when your team insists on zerging far the second you win mid and dont know how mesmer portals work…. what do…..?

And last what is the strongest offensive team fight carry besides warrior?

Apologies for the long and arduous question(s)….its 3 am here.
Thanks in advance.

in PvP

Posted by: jewishjoyride.4693

jewishjoyride.4693

I have no idea if you’re still checking this thread nothelseth. I’m posting on the off chance that you are. I know the season is over but given that this is the best competitive content I’ve every played I am still trying to push and work hard. That said I took the advice you gave another player earlier in this thread to record my game play. Watching replays has been helpful and I feel like every day I am making better decisions.

I have only been playing solo, and managed to climb myself from silver 2 to platinum 1. Since I made platinum I can’t string together wins anymore and I’ve slowly fallen all the way back down into gold 1. >.< I just can’t seem to climb out of this hole.

Here is some footage from one of my recent losses. What could I have done differently? Am I just beating my head against a brick wall by trying to do this only solo? Am I beating my head against a brick wall trying to do this only on Druid?

in PvP

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

I have no idea if you’re still checking this thread nothelseth. I’m posting on the off chance that you are. I know the season is over but given that this is the best competitive content I’ve every played I am still trying to push and work hard. That said I took the advice you gave another player earlier in this thread to record my game play. Watching replays has been helpful and I feel like every day I am making better decisions.

I have only been playing solo, and managed to climb myself from silver 2 to platinum 1. Since I made platinum I can’t string together wins anymore and I’ve slowly fallen all the way back down into gold 1. >.< I just can’t seem to climb out of this hole.

Here is some footage from one of my recent losses. What could I have done differently? Am I just beating my head against a brick wall by trying to do this only solo? Am I beating my head against a brick wall trying to do this only on Druid?

I’m not (not)helseth but here’s some personal feedback.

1:39 :: Given that you are playing the sword dagger variant of the build I feel like you gave up the full cap too easily. If the point wasn’t fully capped, than yes, you could argue that running out to keep it a 1v1 instead of getting 1v2’d was better, but as it was full capped already, I think buying some extra time for that node would be better. Every second you are able to contest on a node you control is buying one more second of outnumbered time for your allies, while gaining the point tics. Once it becomes decapped the opponent now needs to invest two seconds to cap, so you contesting it after it is nuetralized has less value, but while it is still your node, I believe it makes sense to be a bit greedier. In addition, the thief keeping you out of other fights (1v1), has more value than you keeping the thief out of a fight.

In addition, your warrior makes a bad rotation pushing into that node, which would have possibly been less bad (he would contest a nuetral point instead of a full capped point) if you were able to contest that node while it was under your control.

This critique is primarily because you are playing the sword dagger variant.

=========

5:30:: although this is more an issue between two players. After downing the thief, he should be the one going to far, your pet could keep the enemy theif from free ressing while you help to save the team fight at mid. You had a full astral bar and your team was fairly pressured. Instead you full capped far and denied the thief the option, losing the team fight at mid.

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

(edited by alemfi.5107)

in PvP

Posted by: Emtiarbi.3281

Emtiarbi.3281

Who knows a good elementalist streamer?

Anredhal Amethyst – Lain Amethyst – Orss Jerre