[Discussion] Future of PvP Blog

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

The PvP Blog is now up, here:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/player-vs-player-rewards-roadmap/

Gold and Experience in PvP
- In the December 10th update, you’ll be able to earn gold in PvP as a match reward. As an extension of that, you’ll also be able to spend glory and gold to purchase account-bound Tomes of Knowledge, which grant a level each and will allow you to level up any of your characters. The Tome of Knowledge will be found on a new glory vendor that has several items available for purchase with both glory and gold.

Gear
- In the months that follow, we will be working to eliminate the difference between PvP and PvE gear. Players will be able to earn gear in PvP that can be carried over to PvE and vice versa.

- This means that players who have carefully crafted their appearance in one area of the game will have a way to carry that look over to other areas of the game.

Achievements
- Another thing to look forward to in the December 10th update will be new daily achievements for wins in Solo and Team Arenas. These will give players the chance to earn up to four additional total achievement points per day. Along with this change we will be rebalancing the Slayer and Conqueror. The points will be spread out more and additional tiers will be added

Updated Reward System
- With gear unification we will also introduce a system that allows players to set goals for rewards in PvP and work towards them. We are not ready to discuss this system in detail yet, as it is still being developed, but more information will come as we get closer to being able to release this system.

- Once this new system is in place, glory will be retired as a currency, and gold will be the standard currency across the game. All existing glory vendors will be removed at this time. We will give advance warning when this is coming so you can spend all of your existing glory before that happens.

Discuss your feelings, thoughts and concerns here! I will update the first thread soon with key highlights!

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

(edited by ronpierce.2760)

in PvP

Posted by: ExaFlare.1390

ExaFlare.1390

“In the December 10th update, you’ll be able to earn gold in PvP as a match reward. As an extension of that, you’ll also be able to spend glory and gold to purchase account-bound Tomes of Knowledge, which grant a level each and will allow you to level up any of your characters. The Tome of Knowledge will be found on a new glory vendor that has several items available for purchase with both glory and gold.”

Just kitten in my pants.

Server : Vizunah Square [FR]
Chars : Exa Flare | Exaflare | Aurora Wall | Aurora Sword | Azure Flame God

in PvP

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Finally!

Can’t wait til Dec. 10th now.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in PvP

Posted by: Tranassa.4968

Tranassa.4968

“It will take many months …”

I just came too the second sentence… now i dont want to read any more! IS it becoming better or worse? plz spoiler me.

I’m playing on EU
Automated Tournaments!

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Seems pretty ok.
There’s not much to go on, as it’s the implementation that will matter.
How much gold should we expect?
What will replace rank?
If everything can be bought with gold, now does that mean we will have people with credit card in hand buying armors that previously were signs of prestige?
If that’s the case, will “prestige” be moved to rewards tied to leaderboard/ladder position or divisions?

It all sounds like it could be catering to pve gold farmers, where are the exclusive rewards for skilled players?

There are too many currencies in this game, that’s for sure, but I don’t think that the pvp-based glory was a problem. It smells of wanting to monetize pvp through gems.

(edited by milo.6942)

in PvP

Posted by: Kuruptz.4782

Kuruptz.4782

Gold and Experience in PvP
- In the December 10th update, you’ll be able to earn gold in PvP as a match reward. As an extension of that, you’ll also be able to spend glory and gold to purchase account-bound Tomes of Knowledge, which grant a level each and will allow you to level up any of your characters. The Tome of Knowledge will be found on a new glory vendor that has several items available for purchase with both glory and gold.

any number on how much it will cost, some ppl exploited up to 30000000000000glory

in PvP

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. LADDERSSSSSSSSSSS. I needed to add some emphasis so I added extra letters to “finally” and “ladders”.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Noc.2459

Noc.2459

If you can drag your PvE armor over to PvP there will be no way you can notice a good PvP player through his armor. Like during the paid tournament time. This really su.cks!

And wow! 4 Achievemnt points can be earnd per day. What about the other ones which are not on a daylie basis? PvE gets achievements every two weeks. Wow!

If there is no PvP only currency left, PvE players can buy themselves everything right from the start with gold?

So when there is no PvP only currency left PvE players can buy anything they want instantly? Sounds fun…

Noc Noc Noc Noc Noc Noc Noc Noc Noc Noc

(edited by Noc.2459)

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

I’m optimistic as I could give 2 * less about pvp rewards, but others care so others will play pvp hopefully,

BUT.. all I read was ; Time to start farming pve for t3 cultural/Nightmare gear cause pve’rs all gonna be dragons with sweet particle effect legendbananas

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

If you can drag your PvE armor over to PvP there will be no way you can notice a good PvP player through his armor. Like during the paid tournament time. This really su.cks!

^This
Also i just wanted to know specifically about the reward skins gained with shards and that’s the only thing they still don’t want to talk about even though one of the devs said
(actual quote): all shall be revealed.

color me disappointed.

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

I can see all the pve players streaming into pvp to Afk to get free gold. Hopefully gold is only rewarded in tourneys and to the winning team

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

As long as you can get PvP rewards at a reasonable price/time-to-farm so that it matches up with how long it takes to grind in PVE, I’m fine.

in PvP

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

I see a lot of great plans here, thanks.

Re: The armor and weapons you carry into PvP will be, like they are now, just for looks."

I think this is a double-edged sword, and one of the impediments to getting people to come over to PvP from WvW and PvE. It does cause build-making to be simpler, but the inability to boost combat numbers to high enough levels makes some builds not translate well between PvP and the rest of the game. I think more people would participate if they didn’t have to figure out new builds, and I also think people would participate more if they could test out WvW builds in PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

“It will take many months …”
This is what killed my excitement, but well I hope the friday show will be more in depth.

If everything can be bought with gold, now does that mean we will have people with credit card in hand buying armors that previously were signs of prestige?
If that’s the case, will “prestige” be moved to rewards tied to leaderboard/ladder position or divisions?

It all sounds like it could be catering to pve gold farmers, where are the exclusive rewards for skilled players?

Well I don’t think it doesn’t even matter any more at this point, and they always can include some exclusive ranks and finishers.

in PvP

Posted by: Morinmeth.9823

Morinmeth.9823

I hope I’m not the only one that likes the changes.

PvE people inside PvP! Oh my god, this is gonna be hilariously fun! Free wins everywhere!

in PvP

Posted by: Xista.7391

Xista.7391

I can see it now.

Twilights. Twilights everywhere.

Attachments:

In-game opinions of Skyhammer: http://i.imgur.com/FKymDjC.jpg

in PvP

Posted by: Oprah.1347

Oprah.1347

The only part that upsets me is the retiring of rank based pvp finishers. So basically all the skyhammer farmers get to keep rank finishers while people like me who only get rank from tPvP will miss out? seems sort of unfair.

in PvP

Cyhann.2609

I can see it now.

Twilights. Twilights everywhere.

Please no, these things should be banned from pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: ExaFlare.1390

ExaFlare.1390

“To honor the effort that players have put into the rank system”

Nice way to call skyhammer farmers lol

Server : Vizunah Square [FR]
Chars : Exa Flare | Exaflare | Aurora Wall | Aurora Sword | Azure Flame God

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Gold instead of Glory is great. It means pvp players can now get gems or invest in pve or wvw. There’s not much to lose by this change.

Also, let’s not forget: New Healing Skills will be added!

^This

A small loss to a huge gain. Besides, ladders and seasons will probably offer unique titles or something so better players can be recognized.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

I am sort of upset, I was looking forward to working on PvP stuff via pvp, I am not that happy I’ll have to (likely) go PvE to get what I want faster, but I guess at least now I’ll have the means TO get what I want. Mixed feelings :/

in PvP

Posted by: Gracious.4279

Gracious.4279

Im speechless….. WITH HAPPINESS!

But it does kinda suck that I spent 800k glory on dyes haha o well more incentive to pvp!

THIS MIGHT BE WHAT GETS PVP OVER THE HUMP!

r54 pvp | Ebay | Female Mind Games

in PvP

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

PvE people inside PvP! Oh my god, this is gonna be hilariously fun! Free wins everywhere!

Except when they happen to be on your team…
The changes sound fine but tying pve-pvp seems like a step in the wrong direction.
Leave looks inside spvp spvp specific and only available through playing actual spvp…

in PvP

Cyhann.2609

Huh? Where did you hear that?

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

http://strawpoll.me/811078

Do you want ranks removed? ^

Ranger//Necro

(edited by infantrydiv.1620)

in PvP

Posted by: Jakzor.4160

Jakzor.4160

i absolutely love the roadmap(for now)

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Yea…I’m wondering what the cost of these things will be too, as I can see that it will be very tough for them to balance. However, if this is supposed to give players a chance to level through sPvP instead of through PvE (which is AWESOME!), then they’ll have to set a reasonable price.

Either way, I definitely like the direction of this change.

in PvP

Posted by: JanNier Kryn Yaren.7968

JanNier Kryn Yaren.7968

Removal of rank and rank finishers? Sounds like an excuse to buy finishers in the gem store, and I did not farmed my rank on glory farm servers. But many did so this “To honor the effort that players have put into the rank system, existing players will be able to keep all unlocked rank finishers and will earn a special title based on your rank to show that you were there from the start.” is not viable.

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

It’s in the Blogpost.

Also in this update, the Skills and Balance team will introduce new healing skills to the game. To acquire new skills, in both PvP and PvE, players will need to spend skill points to unlock them. Unlocking the skill unlocks it for all parts of the game. Going forward newly added skills will require skill points. Existing skills will remain unlocked for PvP.

in PvP

Cyhann.2609

It’s in the Blogpost.

Also in this update, the Skills and Balance team will introduce new healing skills to the game. To acquire new skills, in both PvP and PvE, players will need to spend skill points to unlock them. Unlocking the skill unlocks it for all parts of the game. Going forward newly added skills will require skill points. Existing skills will remain unlocked for PvP.

Oh, I somehow skipped that section. But the need for skillpoints in PvP? Now that’s a completely new direction.

in PvP

Posted by: renegade.4851

renegade.4851

The news just got out and I am at rage. Let me quote a few sentences for you guys.

“Once this new system is in place, glory will be retired as a currency, and gold will be the standard currency across the game. All existing glory vendors will be removed at this time. We will give advance warning when this is coming so you can spend all of your existing glory before that happens.”

What the kitten arenanet?
this means that playing pvp since beta, gets me worse off in terms of rewards for PVP than playing pve. WHAT THE HELL?!

Could we please get some clarification on this

~pvper since beta

in PvP

Posted by: BakiSaN.9281

BakiSaN.9281

Grouch best thing that happened to GW2 pvp. Absolutely loved the blog!

Sta ce biti s’ kucom!?

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

rank is measurement of how much you grind. so yes.

in PvP

Posted by: Mash Hog.5672

Mash Hog.5672

I’ll have Unlimited level 80’s!
Yay for having 20 Level 80 Elementalists!
:)

Gasmic > Mic Gazzy
Leader of [GASM] #ELEtism
(Retired) Commander [2500+ tPvP Matches Won]

in PvP

Darnis.4056

Removal of rank and rank finishers? Sounds like an excuse to buy finishers in the gem store, and I did not farmed my rank on glory farm servers. But many did so this “To honor the effort that players have put into the rank system, existing players will be able to keep all unlocked rank finishers and will earn a special title based on your rank to show that you were there from the start.” is not viable.

New finishers from ladder system O_o chill your humps.
Not everything is a money grab, this certainly doesn’t look like one to me.. and if it is? That’s good more pver’s spending money on pvp the more attention pvp gets
>>>>> Pvp might even get a dev team with more then 2 guys working graveyard shifts cynically making suggestions they know PVE team will shut down.

Also; notice no distinction is ever made between wvwvw and PvE in the blog post? just Pvp and PvE?
Wvwvw=Pve+ confirmed.

Dat 6 minute post timer is killing me guys..

in PvP

Posted by: hooma.9642

hooma.9642

“Once ladders are implemented, ranks will be retired. To honor the effort that players have put into the rank system, existing players will be able to keep all unlocked rank finishers and will earn a special title based on your rank to show that you were there from the start. Variants of existing rank finishers will move to the ladder system and will be used to show your current standings on the ladder from season to season. The original finishers will not be earnable again.”

sounds bad. so farmers has the better finishers then serious players and even if u are nr1. in laddersystem its only temporary

in PvP

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

i hope i can finally be able to get my asura characters to 80, pve leveling is super boring..

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in PvP

Posted by: Asomal.6453

Asomal.6453

You guys got me thinking: since last data mine, we know that legendaries are included in the game and have PVP versions. However, we do not know how it will be implemented and how we could obtain them. After reading this blog entry, I’m kind of afraid that those are probably skins converted from PVE, which means the only way to get a PVP legendary, is to get it from PVE…

in PvP

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

The PvP Blog is now up, here:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/player-vs-player-rewards-roadmap/
Gear
- In the months that follow, we will be working to eliminate the difference between PvP and PvE gear. Players will be able to earn gear in PvP that can be carried over to PvE and vice versa.

- This means that players who have carefully crafted their appearance in one area of the game will have a way to carry that look over to other areas of the game.

Could this mean that we’re one step closer to a full-fledged Skin Wardrobe?

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

I was hoping they would have more changes coming soon instead of the long term, I feel like we have been waiting long enough already.

I don’t know how I feel about them taking out glory and letting people with a ton of gold buy everything, but I do appreciate getting gold from matches and buying levels.

Taking out ranks…. Idk I guess we will see how that goes but none of the stuff in the blogpost really makes me want to keep playing.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

It would be nice to know more about the gear transfer stuff. There are a number of skins that are unique to PvP, or are exceptionally difficult to get that I’d love to use in PvE (double popped collar thief for the win!). I really don’t want to make another Thief and play story mode to 50 to get it though. Curious how having an item with no stats from PvP would transition to PvE.

in PvP

Posted by: Morinmeth.9823

Morinmeth.9823

Except when they happen to be on your team…
The changes sound fine but tying pve-pvp seems like a step in the wrong direction.
Leave looks inside spvp spvp specific and only available through playing actual spvp…

You can carry since you’re gonna be more experienced. It’s gonna be awesome!

On a serious note though, I really, REALLY like the whole direction this is going. They give prestige to PvP players in WvW through limited-time, hard-earned finishers, they add the option of leveling up your alts through PvP, they give you gold for carrying games and they’re also adding new skills to the game – you can’t ask for anything more.

Maybe indeed they shouldn’t allow legendaries into PvP. I don’t think it’s practical to have extra special effects in an already big battle. It happens in WvW, but WvW is all about aimed AoE on the backlines, while PvP needs more focus on individuals.

in PvP

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

Ok, somehow my post didnt arive here. So short version:

Gold in PvP: Yeay! (how much?)
Skills needed to be bought via Skill points. (How to get Skillpoints via PvP?)
Daily Achievment for Tournaments: Alternative or Additional to the existing ones. (I expect AP farmers…)
Special Titles and finishers when ranks get removed: will you EVER deal with Skyhammer farmers? Or will those ppl get this stuff also?
Use for PvE skins in PvP and vice versa: Will we still need to play PvE for 90% of awesome Skins, as they arent obtainable via PvP? Doesn’t this also mean, everybody working hard for his rank gets screwed, as “rare” armor in PvP is mostly easy accessable in PvE?

Oh and ofcourse finally: almost no info about new game modes. ESPORTS!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I think prestige will be something mostly exclusive to finishers in the future. I doubt they’ll limit people from continuing the look of their PvE character just because something like TA armor was arbitrarily assigned to a high PvP rank.

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

And wow! 4 Achievemnt points can be earnd per day. What about the other ones which are not on a daylie basis? PvE gets achievements every two weeks. Wow!

If there is no PvP only currency left, PvE players can buy themselves everything right from the start with gold?

So when there is no PvP only currency left PvE players can buy anything they want instantly? Sounds fun…

1. PvP armor never said anything about skill, so let’s just cross that out.
2. Just like rank.
3. I doubt a lot of people actaully cared what armor you wore when it was either red or blue and you were spamming buttons at them.
4. there is a reason why ladder and seasons will soon exist. If you care so much about kitten, you can always remind everybody how leet you are on the ladder.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: Obsidia.5127

Obsidia.5127

It would be nice to know when they are planning on removing rank. I think many people will want to know if they have the time to get their desired finisher.

in PvP

Darnis.4056

You guys got me thinking: since last data mine, we know that legendaries are included in the game and have PVP versions. However, we do not know how it will be implemented and how we could obtain them. After reading this blog entry, I’m kind of afraid that those are probably skins converted from PVE, which means the only way to get a PVP legendary, is to get it from PVE…

There were dark crystals too; that were supposedly going to be currency of some sort;

BUT Im guessing those changes got tossed as they realised that the whole pvp community would have legendaries day one…
Have you been saving your glory/chests? I have.. I have a lot. and I don’t even have close to what some people have.

in PvP

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

Really great to hear. I’m looking forward to Dec 10th and the rest of the upcoming changes. I’m glad they are finally making sPvP rewards that have impact on the rest of the game.

The lack of rewards has been the #1 reason why I never do sPvP even though I did enjoyed what little I tried. I am not going to spend my gametime in PvP that gets me nothing but skins that can’t be seen anywhere but in matches and a lobby.

Perhaps that worked in GW1’s day but clearly the market is different now. There are many other options nowadays for good PvP match-based games (World of Tanks is my preferred choice) that give players decent game rewards for their time. GW2 needs to have their sPvP rewards be more than just skins.

And anything that reduces the complicated money system is very welcome as well. I will not be sad to see Glory phased out of existence.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

<<The original finishers will not be earnable again>>

snif …

Any chance that the current Dragon finisher to be earned by the 1st place winners of future PAXS ?