Extended Off-Season and Other Updates

in PvP

Posted by: megilandil.7506

megilandil.7506

Hi all,

An overwhelming majority of players already play as solo/duo in leagues, but that doesn’t mean we’re not thinking about the groups and the guilds.

The Match-making Min-Maxer all known that your system is best played with 2 players.

Adjust your system to favorise premade and many would take the time to create some. But actually, the flaw of the system… is not enough team compete, so full casual premade are pit versus pro-team party.

Dropping the ball on full team ranked Q because your MM is designed to duo Q for the win, is not a proper solution.

the system favorises premades, the system puts premades againts solo players, the system dont give premades a suficient overweigth in mmr to compensate the suposed superior coordination and practice that have “real premades” to balance whith a competent pug group(whith more individual skill to compensate the “team efect”), the statistic of premades losing 50/50 is only caused by “false premades”(lfg premades, mist premades, “we win last match, repeat” premades, and “we dont play pvp but go pvp for guild misions” premades )

promoting casual premades forcing players to do 5q only gives more farm to “real premades” and the delusion they are wining games more fair
if they want a full team mode they had to promote a full team game, whith ranking as team and rewards acording your progresion as a team not individual

promoting casual premades forcing players to do 5q only gives more farm to “real premades” and the delusion they are wining games more fair

It’s why the system is minmax with a duoq.

Take two guyz that can 1v2 of an owned cap and wins.

Pug team versus team that practice each night, is what made the actual RANK Q games better be played with 2 or less people.

Cause 3 or 4 queues, will artificially raise your pug MMR to meet “real team”.

hey, hey , hey …. im againts duo q aso , because anet havent find the maner to adres their to fit correctly and are xploitable or and harrasment to other players, 1st league they put in rank of the worse player of duo, trio, quad, team and they farm ranks whith one sacrifiing and going in a fresh new alt acount whith a lower rank, latter they put in rank of better guy, and the ones who play whith a low rank friend to carry them are the major ofenders for the most players, and if they try to make a balance another time the xploit of fresh new acounts, not so blatant as first season but doable another time

the only way is separate pure solo of full team. duo, trio or quad are a mess

in PvP

Posted by: Ellie.5913

Ellie.5913

Hiya,

We’re looking for a majority for the trial step. The permanence vote will require super majority.

If the trial vote passes, the entirety of season 5 will be solo/duo.

Hi Josh

Will the matchmaker take into account so that you don’t get a 2,2,1 team vs a full solo 1,1,1,1,1 team? (move the second duo to the other team).

The system already attempts to do this for every match created and will continue to do so.

The system does not attempt to separate the 2 groups of 2 and put one group on each team, I’ve been in countless matches where one team gets 2 groups of 2 and the other team gets all solo players, and the team with all solo players usually loses by a landslide, they usually don’t even hold 1 point. If anything the system attempts to make whole teams of premades vs whole teams of solo players from what I’ve experienced, and most people already know who wins most of the time in that scenario whether they want to admit it or not.
( Talking about unranked, I’ve no idea what goes on in ranked any more since I gave up on it at the beginning of season 2 after being tortured match after match with extremely unfair imbalanced match- ups of full teams of new players vs full teams of experienced & organized players)

in PvP

Posted by: Omegaoufzor.2160

Omegaoufzor.2160

I’m really glad we’re talking about this poll before it goes live so we have an opportunity to talk through things together.

Folks have been asking for us to bring back solo/duo queue since it was removed some years ago. There is a perception that matches are skewed due to the dynamic nature of the queue and the possibility that a team of 3+ can face solos or duos. Regardless of how often this actually occurs, it is somewhat true that q’ing as a premade will allow you to climb in leagues more quickly than those who are solo/duo, especially in higher tiers. Solo/duo only would ensure that advantage is no longer possible and make leagues more competitive across the board.

The first poll will ask “do you want to trial solo/duo queue in season 5?” and will require a majority vote. If that passes, the second poll will ask, “Do you want to make solo/duo queue a permanent feature?” and will require a supermajority (75%). In the scenario that Season 5 as solo/duo goes well and the community decides to keep it long-term, the PvP team will look at ways to accommodate competitive team-based play.

That said, solo/duo queue is a small part of the overhaul we’re doing for leagues – there will be other improvements to matchmaking, how we measure and display skill, and how you earn rewards.

Personally, I think solo/duo queue would be pretty fun, and I think it’s worth giving it a shot. Worst case scenario, you can always vote “no” in the follow-up poll and things will go back to the way they are now.

-Josh

Are you really telling us “Vote yes pls so our system will work, it’s not a so big issue if teammates and guildmates can’t play together in ranked for 2 months, we will do something for teams later”?

You’re making improvments for matchmaking and leagues, can’t you make your poll for S6? So we will all have time to discuss about it and find a better solution than remove the teamQ. You’re telling players are complaining about the removal of soloQ, but don’t you think people will complain about the removal of teamQ? We just all want to have the choice.

(edited by Omegaoufzor.2160)

in PvP

Posted by: Syrius Gorn.5384

Syrius Gorn.5384

“Personally, I think solo/duo queue would be pretty fun, and I think it’s worth giving it a shot. Worst case scenario, you can always vote “no” in the follow-up poll and things will go back to the way they are now.”

Yes it can be fun BUT with the possibility to play with a full team, so we want 2 queues like before.

SOLO / others size groups (2/3/5)

You just can’t remove the teamQ, just plz, discuss on how to improve the number of players who plays in a team.

SOLO/DUO will kill the game, pve is already a solo game, just raid (and now you can pickup so….) you kill the community part of your game, force people to play in a group it’s a MMO no ? not a solo game.

in PvP

Posted by: Lucred.1802

Lucred.1802

Was getting matched against a team of 2-4 players really that large of an issue?

No it wasn’t an issue at all except for players complaining every DAY since soloq was removed long ago.

/sarcasmoff.

Just seemed like the easier thing for people to blame for a loss than themselves. I just don’t see it as a really contributing factor. Of course the vote will favor it being solo/duo and people will find something else to blame.

The advantage that voice comms gives is huge.

Voice comms is the realm of 3+ man teams.

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

It’s so funny… while as a community we try to find ways to have a better and growing community.

The dev want to make that community of little guild/team have nothing else to do than duo/solo q.

So good.. wow, now I understand what BLU said 1 year ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/352nob/blu_moving_on_from_guild_wars_2/

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Was getting matched against a team of 2-4 players really that large of an issue?

No it wasn’t an issue at all except for players complaining every DAY since soloq was removed long ago.

/sarcasmoff.

Just seemed like the easier thing for people to blame for a loss than themselves. I just don’t see it as a really contributing factor. Of course the vote will favor it being solo/duo and people will find something else to blame.

The advantage that voice comms gives is huge.

Voice comms is the realm of 3+ man teams.

That’s assuming that those teams are actually using voice comms.

in PvP

Posted by: Rigante.2470

Rigante.2470

People are going to make this decision based on flawed personal perception.

But isn’t personal perception everything? I mean do you care how other people view the game ? I don’t particularly. I care about my personal enjoyment since “newsflash” this is a game and meant to be enjoyed. So If I find that when I solo q and get put in the 4,1 or 3,1,1 vs full solo or 2,1,1,1 and we ROFLSTOMP more often than not and vice versa when im in the full solo team them my “personal perception” is that premades “generally” have an advantage over solo queuers.

Because your personal perception is different from another person’s maybe? The best thing is to have all pertinent information made available so people can make the best decision possible in the polling. Say they came out and said 5% of the time as a solo or duo you would face a team of 3 or more on average. You would still feel the same way? If thats true I don’t know what to say about that really but that you need to put down the victim mentality. I’ve been playing this game for years when there was a dedicated solo queue tons of people still cried about things like matchmaking and the like. Many solo players queued for team arena instead. I just feel like there is no magic bullett here. The matchmaking is the main problem and imo the problems with it have little do with merged queues.

(edited by Rigante.2470)

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

People are going to make this decision based on flawed personal perception.

But isn’t personal perception everything? I mean do you care how other people view the game ? I don’t particularly. I care about my personal enjoyment since “newsflash” this is a game and meant to be enjoyed. So If I find that when I solo q and get put in the 4,1 or 3,1,1 vs full solo or 2,1,1,1 and we ROFLSTOMP more often than not and vice versa when im in the full solo team them my “personal perception” is that premades “generally” have an advantage over solo queuers.

Because your personal perception is different from another person’s maybe? The best thing is to have all pertinent information made available so people can make the best decision possible in the polling. Say they came out and said 5% of the time as a solo or duo you would face a team of 3 or more on average. You would still feel the same way? If thats true I don’t know what to say about that really but that you need to put down the victim mentality. I’ve been playing this game for years when there was a dedicated solo queue tons of people still cried about things like matchmaking and the like. Many solo players queued for team arena instead. I just feel like there is no magic bullett here. The matchmaking is the main problem and imo the problems with it have little do with merged queues.

Obviously everyone’s perception may be different. That’s kinda what I wanted to say in my earlier post. My point was if you play 500 games and you have a certain perception on how you do vs premades and how you do vs solo teams then why should care what other people think? You already have 500 games worth of data that is tailored specifically to you.

I agree more stats would be useful but we know ANET doesn’t give out the stats . Just BS stats like when they said how many 5 man teams face solo so they made it so a full 5 man premade would never meet a full solo. Conveniently omitting the fact that a full 5 man premade can just as easily stomp a 2,1,1,1 team. Also teams just made 4 man premade and it would end up 4,1 vs 1,1,1,1,1 or 4,1 vs 2,1,1,1 with similarly predictable results.

We know ANET has the data on every single game played. They have the results and should publish the statistics.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Ironcloud.3892

Ironcloud.3892

I really hope the people who seem to be against this are a vocal minority.

Most people seem to be complaining about the “removal” of the teamplay angle, when the only benefit teams have in the current system is that they’re able to rando-stomp if their queues get too long (which will typically be the case because no other teams even try because it’s not worth competing in the first place.)

An actual dedicated teamQ (which would obviously be added if Anet were to introduce solo/duoQ – I don’t know why you wouldn’t just assume this, It’s a package) with the appropriate leaderboard/ranking system, tie-ins to future tournaments and perhaps something akin to an automated tournament system that can concentrate playtime for faster queues, could achieve so much more for in-game 5man competition and activity (subsequently benefiting the esprot scene) than the current dynamic queue ever could.

in PvP

Posted by: arkaxify.3258

arkaxify.3258

An actual dedicated teamQ (which would obviously be added if Anet were to introduce solo/duoQ – I don’t know why you wouldn’t just assume this, It’s a package)

no, read the poll carefuly.

the reason why it’s such a terrible idea is because you will ONLY be able to queue with one friend. did your other buddy log in? well too kittening bad, you better go play unranked because apparently that’s where the organized teamplay is supossed to be at in season 5 lmao.

and now 80% of people (hopefully) also misunderstood the question and voted yes. gg season 5.

Primordial, Exalted, Illustrious and Indomitable legend.

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

An actual dedicated teamQ (which would obviously be added if Anet were to introduce solo/duoQ – I don’t know why you wouldn’t just assume this, It’s a package)

no, read the poll carefuly.

the reason why it’s such a terrible idea is because you will ONLY be able to queue with one friend. did your other buddy log in? well too kittening bad, you better go play unranked because apparently that’s where the organized teamplay is supossed to be at in season 5 lmao.

This was probably deliberate because they want to manipulate the result. It would be funny if it backfired and people voted for solo/duo queue anyway.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: nerovergil.5408

nerovergil.5408

why only solo and duo que?

what if i want to play with my gf and her two brother?

how bout 3 que and forth que?

in PvP

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

The first poll will ask “do you want to trial solo/duo queue in season 5?” and will require a majority vote. If that passes, the second poll will ask, “Do you want to make solo/duo queue a permanent feature?” and will require a supermajority (75%). In the scenario that Season 5 as solo/duo goes well and the community decides to keep it long-term, the PvP team will look at ways to accommodate competitive team-based play.

-Josh

You realize a lot of the people in ranked who would vote for the solo / duo queue do not read this forum. My money would be on the fact that someone who reads this forum is actually much more likely to have the sort of interest that would have them in a 5 man team. Whereas a lot of the people turned off ranked having been up against 3+ teams when they solo queue will not be here to vote at all. I would be surprised if you can get a majority, but even then it won’t be an accurate reflection given your biased sample space if you know what I mean?

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

FYI, S4 titles have been distributed to those who entered legendary division. Check your in-game mail.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

have you all ever considered a random queue? one that complete ignores mmr and other matchmaking algos. something that simply grabs 5 randos and 5 other randos?

hotjoin is hop in and out, so thats not the same. and un/ranked both consider mmr i think, so that also is attempting to funnel goods and bads into certain positions for making teams.

just another option to consider

in PvP

Spartacus.3192

have you all ever considered a random queue? one that complete ignores mmr and other matchmaking algos. something that simply grabs 5 randos and 5 other randos?

hotjoin is hop in and out, so thats not the same. and un/ranked both consider mmr i think, so that also is attempting to funnel goods and bads into certain positions for making teams.

just another option to consider

wut? hahaha

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

The idea of random has merit. Over time, everyone will end up fighting everyone. So, in the long run things will even out.

The problem is that there will be heavy short term loss and win streaks.

More serious is the issue that some players will be angry if they don’t believe there teammates are “worthy” of them. This attitude is part of what fuels the pre-made farming culture.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Spartacus.3192

I don’t think random has any merit whatsoever. Would you consider playing soccer or baseball or whatever if the organisers said we are taking random players from professional level all the way down to people playing their first ever game and mixing them up and then saying “go play”?

The professional level players will run rings around the weaker players and still not enjoy the game because who really enjoys stomping bads?

The first time players will get completely demoralized anytime they have a 1v1 against a top level player.

In summary no one will enjoy the game.

Sorry but full randoms of any MMR is the worst idea ive read today.

in PvP

Jaxom.7310

I don’t think random has any merit whatsoever. Would you consider playing soccer or baseball or whatever if the organisers said we are taking random players from professional level all the way down to people playing their first ever game and mixing them up and then saying “go play”?

The professional level players will run rings around the weaker players and still not enjoy the game because who really enjoys stomping bads?

The first time players will get completely demoralized anytime they have a 1v1 against a top level player.

In summary no one will enjoy the game.

Sorry but full randoms of any MMR is the worst idea ive read today.

1 of the complaints i read often is, ‘matchmaking in gw2 is terrible.’ ‘look at this match, look at this one.’ “i’m a pro, look at how terrible my mates were, we played against esl champs but it paired me with scrubs” “why am i losing 100-500”

if u removed any match making, and it was totally random, then u wouldn’t have to cry about how the mmr screwed u.

if u don’t like it, thats fine, but my time playing random arena in gw1 was more fun than any of the time i’ve spent in gw2 pvp

in PvP

Spartacus.3192

So match making has its problems so instead of trying to fix it with proper class specific MMR and leaderboards and no class switching or stacking etc you want to throw it out completely? I see. ok.

in PvP

Jaxom.7310

So match making has its problems so instead of trying to fix it with proper class specific MMR and leaderboards and no class switching or stacking etc you want to throw it out completely? I see. ok.

i dunno. i look at 4 years of anet playing with mmr and leaderboards and etc and i still see every1 angry with it. so i axe if they’ve considered random queues as an option. i’m not saying remove mmr completely from ranked, i’m just axing if anet’s considered having a random queue too

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Having both a 1-2 player Ranked queue and a 1-5 Ranked queue would be great. Solo only is not really worth it. The matches are just too random.

1-2 player for competitive soloers and friends who want to learn to play together and work on combos would be great. There is a certain skill to pulling together a win with a few random players. 1-5 player queue for those soloers and team players who want to master the competitive scene and potentially play against premades.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

what about the problem i had yesterday
in my team we had 4 mesmer versus guardian mesmer ranger engi and thief
why my team had 4 mesmer
why the game dont distribute the classes equally

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

why my team had 4 mesmer

If it was a stacked duo comp, the game tries to match another stacked duo comp. But the game is blind when it comes to solo vs solo… it just sees numbers on a spread sheet and attempts to “balance” the sides. Been saying it since last year, Matchmaking needs to be smarter.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Kitabake.8291

Kitabake.8291

What title is the fuss about? I Got to legend in season 2 and got no title. Are there titles for season 2 too? :0

in PvP

Posted by: Eagelseye.6312

Eagelseye.6312

I fail to understand why there should be a choice between solo/duo queue vs team queue?

Ranked games is a team game and should be played as a team. Therefore, Ranked games should be a compulsory full premade game. People will team up with players whom they know match their skill range and are comfortable playing with as such. It will improve more Guild interactions and people won’t find themselves in situations where some random player would opt to do things out of his own without caring about the team!

If Solo/Duo queue is to be implemented, then it should be a separate league altogether. Let people who wish to play with randoms play in their and let team players have their normal game. This way you will be able to segregate and satisfy both set of players.

If WoW can have 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5 Arena system and 10v10 Rated Battlegrounds, all following different rankings, then GW2 too can have the same, after all it is a better game overall.

PvP mail DH and Thief, PvE main Staff Tempest/Druid/PS

in PvP

Posted by: SaltAndLight.4652

SaltAndLight.4652

No team-based ranked mode seems like a bizarre choice.

I think having both a solo/duo and 5man team queue options, which are eligible for ranking (possibly on separate tracks) could be interesting. Whether that is viable in terms of playerbase though I am not sure.

Push some GEMS each month with special in-game “auto” tourney (bring back Paid Tourney) that are 100% full premade. This will make the Q full of teams like it was at released.

Yes! Organized, regularly scheduled tournaments which require 5 member premades would be a great solution to solo/duo queue only.

Teams need a place to compete at a high level that carries some prestige and rewards, because at its core, Conquest is really most importantly about teamwork.

EDIT:
PS – Regarding class stacking, I think limiting professions to a max of two per team should be implemented for ranked only. This eliminates those 4 DH and 1 Druid compositions, etc. Team composition in unranked should be unfettered.

(edited by SaltAndLight.4652)

in PvP

Posted by: Eagelseye.6312

Eagelseye.6312

why my team had 4 mesmer

Such things won’t happen if people will play a team game as a team and enter as a premade. PvP is NOT a solo fest!

PvP mail DH and Thief, PvE main Staff Tempest/Druid/PS

in PvP

Posted by: Emmrahil.1934

Emmrahil.1934

Hi all,

I’d like to take a moment to address some of the concerns posted since last Friday regarding the possibility of solo/duo queue.

The poll we’ll be running this week will simply ask if we should trial a solo/duo queue system during season 5. Assuming the poll passes and Season 5 is solo/duo only, we’ll monitor feedback throughout the season and then run another poll at the end of S5 to ask folks if they’d like to see the change become permanent.

“But Josh, what about people that like to queue as premades, do guild missions, etc?” An overwhelming majority of players already play as solo/duo in leagues, but that doesn’t mean we’re not thinking about the groups and the guilds. That said, unranked arena will continue to accommodate roster sizes of up to 5. Guild missions will still be able to be completed in unranked arena. Assuming the post-season 5 permanence poll passes, we’ll evaluate the need for another environment where teams can compete (based on your feedback).

Hopefully that answers some of your questions!

What about Teams who will practise and not just do guild missions etc? I know we can do scirms ofc…but is a chance we have 1 solo/due que one team que? Also expect ToL what other plans you have about Team sPvP?