Guild Wars 2 Will Never Reach Esports Status

in PvP

Posted by: HandsomeGentleman.9576

HandsomeGentleman.9576

It’s the hard truth.

Classes/Builds are not balanced to encourage skilled play.

The community constantly gives feedback but most is ignored by the dev team.

Every balance overcompensates nerfs or significantly changes sigils, skills, runes, until they are either way too powerful or way too weak.

To be honest, whoever is leading the balance/pvp push should be fired. I’ve heard a lot about the resource strain over at Anet studios but this doesn’t even make sense. What the hell are they dedicating resources to? They have had years to make this work and they are throwing WvW and PvP down the toilet. WvW is one of the most unique game modes in mmos at moment and had huge potential for revenue. PvP if done right could have had the best action based esports type feel to it.

Good job Anet, you’ve kitten on your own players for 3 years. 3 YEARS. Most of us have given you feedback for years in hopes we would be listened to but it’s starting to get old. I’m sure many of us are on the verge of just giving up.

in PvP

Posted by: tmc.7254

tmc.7254

yep. it’s sad

They are the ones wasting money tho

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

ArenaColin, “In regards to balance – balance is NOT driven by our PvP Pro League, the pro league is a marketing effort that has almost zero impact on our dev team. Drawing parallels between the two is at best disingenuous.”

So yes. You are correct OP. The game is not being balanced to be competitive.

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Even non-pro League isn’t competitive and it wasn’t designed to be competitive, just look: soloQ vs premade problems, easily exploitable matchmaking, no VOIP/voice command system etc…

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Even non-pro League isn’t competitive and it wasn’t designed to be competitive, just look: soloQ vs premade problems, easily exploitable matchmaking, no VOIP/voice command system etc…

I think an ingame voice system would be great. They can even have voice disguise functions too.

in PvP

HandsomeGentleman.9576

Morwath, you just gave 3 basic problems/suggestions they could have fixed to make the system much better. Too bad we’ve been making the same suggestions for years with no results. :/

in PvP

HandsomeGentleman.9576

Morwath, you just gave 3 basic problems/suggestions they could have fixed to make the system much better. Too bad we’ve been making the same suggestions for years with no results. :/

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfs Shadow.7234

Wolfs Shadow.7234

It’s the hard truth.

Every balance overcompensates nerfs or significantly changes sigils, skills, runes, until they are either way too powerful or way too weak.

To be honest, whoever is leading the balance/pvp push should be fired. I’ve heard a lot about the resource strain over at Anet studios but this doesn’t even make sense. What the hell are they dedicating resources to? They have had years to make this work and they are throwing WvW and PvP down the toilet. WvW is one of the most unique game modes in mmos at moment and had huge potential for revenue. PvP if done right could have had the best action based esports type feel to it.

Good job Anet, you’ve kitten on your own players for 3 years. 3 YEARS. Most of us have given you feedback for years in hopes we would be listened to but it’s starting to get old. I’m sure many of us are on the verge of just giving up.

Honestly blaming just ANET isn’t exactly true. It is also this community. Perfect example would be the community commending the rage quitters.

in PvP

HandsomeGentleman.9576

It’s the hard truth.

Honestly blaming just ANET isn’t exactly true. It is also this community. Perfect example would be the community commending the rage quitters.

Look, the players have been patient for a VERY long time. We’ve spent a lot of money and time…only to face this kitten over and over.

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

I love how ColinJ said on reddit not to knock it if you don’t like it because it stops the game growing. Well kitten Colin, would you not be up in arms if you bought a new car and it was a pile of kitten? You’ve sold us a kitten product and you expect people to still be happy about it? Wake the kitten up.

in PvP

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

It’s the hard truth.

We had a good meta prior to HoT. I think sPvP side of the game deserves to be a separate download from the main game to attracted more of the pure PvP crowd. Maybe have an entire team devoted to it instead of what appears to be a handful of people. It needs to be marketed to be positioned to compete with Heros of the Storm, Hearthstone, League, etc… But it never has been. It’s kind of a separate game imprisoned inside the GW2 MMO. The PvE side has a lot more players so it always gets more priority.

in PvP

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Hey new balance patch? Guess what the game is still in the dumpster.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

the biggest reason imo gw2 will never reach esports because the game isn’t centered around pvp. It is a pve game first. They also refuse to split skills for pve/pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

the biggest reason imo gw2 will never reach esports because the game isn’t centered around pvp. It is a pve game first. They also refuse to split skills for pve/pvp

LOL what? Almost every balance change is base on PvP. Yes should split PvE and PvP but too much work. Still look at all balance and most every thing was for PvP.

;)

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

LOL what? Almost every balance change is base on PvP. Yes should split PvE and PvP but too much work. Still look at all balance and most every thing was for PvP.

lol wut? this game is a mmo you do realise this? let’s just completely forget about all the dungeons/open world/personal story instances.

in PvP

Posted by: MadVisions.4529

MadVisions.4529

but too much work.

HOW????
how is it even much work to make reasonable decisions?
how do you think that developping content that’s tested on Moose and golems going to work out in actual gameplay?
how do you think is BALANCING much work for a company with incomes that can afford 400k pvp marketing ???
how do you think that it would take more than 3days to level nowdays powercreep to a more stable state for ~5 persons who actually have a good understanding of the game?
how do you think that it’s ‘OK’ that months of beta testing and all the pre season time was enough to release ~ONE “HOT” fix that only effects some of the most broken stuff the game ever saw.
how do you think that the amount of feedback on traits, skills and comps was not enough?

(EDIT: please notice, that not only pvp is suffering! pve and wvw are in theyr darkest days aswell catch(RaidException e){};)

I can’t take this game or company seriously anymore. The quality of development decisions and customer service came to the lowest level i’ve ever experienced in my life be it compared to any other Developper companys or the pub next to my apartment.
Things are out of hand.

(edited by MadVisions.4529)

in PvP

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

Of course Guild Wars 2 can never be an Esport, we’ve been saying that for years.

ArenaNets own designs shoot themselves in the foot. I cannot tell you how many times I got suspended from the forms for SUGGESTING healthy mechanics. I flat out gave up making suggestions on anything, it’s clear it’s their way or the highway.

ARENANET DOES NOT LISTEN and because of that the game is suffering heavily. It doesn’t matter what I say, it doesn’t matter what anyone says, it’s very clear they lack the mechanical design experience to create a great combat experience.

I don’t know how ArenaNet sleeps at night, when you had a stream chat filled with people booing ArenaNet throughout the entire ESL. Do they really think they got this? Do they really think they don’t need anyone or need to listen to anything? Game developer idiots. I’m not calling them morons to be mean, it’s fairly accurate. No well minded person would think a mob of 2000 stream viewers constantly screaming at them is okay.

Guild Wars 2 will kill itself at this rate and it has the developers to thank. Not only the severe unbalance issues but combat mechanics at their core ruins Guild Wars 2 ability to ever be an esport.

(edited by Nova Stiker.8396)

in PvP

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

ArenaColin, “In regards to balance – balance is NOT driven by our PvP Pro League, the pro league is a marketing effort that has almost zero impact on our dev team. Drawing parallels between the two is at best disingenuous.”

So yes. You are correct OP. The game is not being balanced to be competitive.

Really? Because most of the things went unchanged until they saw “pro” play. Then they were quickly nerfed. (Turret engi for example.)

in PvP

HandsomeGentleman.9576

Like I said…I love the game and I want it to succeed but the community cannot deal with a company that constantly won’t listen to its players. The game is already balanced around pvp (or they say), but they just aren’t…good enough. And they being whoever is managing community growth and relations, pvp, and the whole game in general.