Is Macroing a reportable offense?

in PvP

Posted by: Swiftly.2385

Swiftly.2385

Because there are a lot of people admittedly doing it in Spvp….

in PvP

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Yes. You can report them for botting, because that’s basically what macros are.

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Macros arent allowed in this game (with few exceptions, like playing songs with an instrument)

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: Mnemesis.8257

Mnemesis.8257

To quote Gaile Grey from another thread/site:

Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a 1 key for 1 function protocol. This means that if you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions.

For example, if you Press A and it results in the casting of a single skill, you’re ok. If you Press A and it casts multiple spells, you’re not ok.

You cannot program a macro to perform the same or multiple actions on more than one account at a time.

You cannot program an “auto-clicker” macro that, for instance, opens chests while you play elsewhere.

Sited from: http://gw2.gameguyz.com/news/news/arenanet-s-clarification-on-macros-and-multi-boxing-in-guild-wars-2.html

TLDR: Anyone performing multiple actions with a single keystroke is essentially breaking the code of conduct.

in PvP

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

They can’t even ban all hacks or exploiters. Imagine banning for macros, something that is incredible hard for a player to detect and to get proof to make a report…. Unless they said that ingame chat, how would you detect it? Even if they say, one can claim that they were lying…..

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

Out of curiosity. How do you determine if someone is macroing? I mean I know its a thing, but how do you know this? Or do you just suspect?

in PvP

Posted by: Tao.1234

Tao.1234

Out of curiosity. How do you determine if someone is macroing? I mean I know its a thing, but how do you know this? Or do you just suspect?

Pretty much if a guy is doing dodge jump all the time which in combat is impossible to do it every single time.

So let’s say, you 1v1 someone and he’s using dodge jump often(have energy sigil+vigor) then he’s using a macro with 90% chance – there can be someone to do 5 in a row luckily, but doing 8~12 is pretty much impossible and repeating it in every combat.

Hence, anet should fix that dodge jump thing.

Suspended for telling Like it is.
Anet gave birth to Gw2 – Anet killed Gw2.
Murican law 2015.

in PvP

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

Pretty much if a guy is doing dodge jump all the time which in combat is impossible to do it every single time.

So let’s say, you 1v1 someone and he’s using dodge jump often(have energy sigil+vigor) then he’s using a macro with 90% chance – there can be someone to do 5 in a row luckily, but doing 8~12 is pretty much impossible and repeating it in every combat.

I have no idea what dodge jumping is?

in PvP

Tao.1234

Press dodge roll and jump key at the same time.
It makes evade’s distance and time longer.

Murican law 2015.

in PvP

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

A dodge jump is when your character jumps and dodges at the same time. There was some tiny benefit to it… but I forgot what it was.

However, simply observing someone dodge jumping all the time is no evidence at all. Even the mentioned percentages are simple assumptions. I dodge jump really often, cuz it looks cool on an Asura. And if I trained for it, I am sure I could dodge jump almost all the time, because it is not that hard. With how my keyboard works, I simply press dodge and jump at the same time and it results in a dodge jump. Doesn’t work on all keyboards though^^

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in PvP

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Just bind dodge to alt and jump to space and push both buttons same time. Nice trick if you try to flee and you need to jump over some obstacle while somebody try to hit you. You could just dodge, but then you would get stuck behind obstacle and that would slow you down.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in PvP

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

A dodge jump is when your character jumps and dodges at the same time. There was some tiny benefit to it… but I forgot what it was.

However, simply observing someone dodge jumping all the time is no evidence at all. Even the mentioned percentages are simple assumptions. I dodge jump really often, cuz it looks cool on an Asura. And if I trained for it, I am sure I could dodge jump almost all the time, because it is not that hard. With how my keyboard works, I simply press dodge and jump at the same time and it results in a dodge jump. Doesn’t work on all keyboards though^^

The advantage is that you get a jump that isnt affected by incombat movement penatly so you can lite to more locations. It doesn’t enlongate the evade frames of the dodge however. The benefit is not tiny, actually can be really important.

By the way, i havn’t specifically checked, but i am fairly certain i can Dodge jump about 98-99% of the time.

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in PvP

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

That’s a horrible way to see if someone is macroing. I can dodgejump indefinitely without fail with no macro usage.

in PvP

Tao.1234

That’s a horrible way to see if someone is macroing. I can dodgejump indefinitely without fail with no macro usage.

Well, that depends no?
If you put a hard pressure on someone, I doubt he’ll have a time to focus on dodge jumping every single time.

Also, what’s wrong with reporting?
If you know that you do not use any macros or any 3rd party software, then why would you or anyone else alike to care about reporting, since Anet doesn’t ban without investigating and checking.

Well, point isn’t to report everyone, but when you’re sure that there is something not right.

Murican law 2015.

in PvP

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

Well, that depends no?
If you put a hard pressure on someone, I doubt he’ll have a time to focus on dodge jumping every single time.

Also, what’s wrong with reporting?
If you know that you do not use any macros or any 3rd party software, then why would you or anyone else alike to care about reporting, since Anet doesn’t ban without investigating and checking.

Well, point isn’t to report everyone, but when you’re sure that there is something not right.

Thing is, if people followed your method of telling, you would create a lot of extra work for the ANet team… which could flow in catching actual botters/hackers and such. The resources of those investigations are limited mainly in man power and time and your method of telling is horribly flawed as explained.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in PvP

Posted by: MadVisions.4529

MadVisions.4529

Out of curiosity. How do you determine if someone is macroing?

?????????????????????
dodge jump got its activation frames which are not hard to hit if you got used to the thing, so is evade casting non rooting spells (this one is harder though but can hit too with 100% chance with good practice). things like double jump is harder couse it requires client side lag to perform on a ~50% ratio.

train a bit more and you gonna find yourself doing it all the time to not get stuck in a stone on the ground.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Basically, any gaming mouse with macro support function; using a skill to cast three skills at once or in sequence, is against GW2 code of conduct.

So like, the majority of the players who use a gaming mouse. That doesn’t count anyone else with a non gaming mouse who uses programs like autohotkey to simulate macros similar to the performance of a gaming mouse.

Arenanet can’t enforce people to not use macros.. you can suspect some one using a macro in play but you can never know for certain. Only way Anet can know without a doubt is in WTS when people are literally watching players set up their gaming mouse keybindings.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

I can hit jump and v at the same time quite easily, started off just doing it for fun now it’s like a reflex.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

Well, that depends no?
If you put a hard pressure on someone, I doubt he’ll have a time to [/b]focus[/b] on dodge jumping every single time.

But it requires little to no focus at all. Literally doesn’t matter whether you’re being attacked by a single guy running a bunker build or if you’re being jumped by a mes/thief stealth gank. It sure as hell doesn’t make it harder than jumping normally anyway.

in PvP

Posted by: bliss.4305

bliss.4305

Yes because we should all be considered doing illegal actions when we do something others can not do. Spouting utter nonsense.

You can guest my server and watch me dodge jump 100% any time using 2 keybinds and nothing more. Just because you haven’t practiced and put in the hours to gain a slight benefit doesn’t automatically make everyone who did susceptible of “macroing”.

Besides I hope Anet would focus their attention on fixing things that matter and not things that are used as an excuse to call nerf. Not to mention I recall a podcast where its been acknowledged and not going to be dealt with cause its a niche practice thats quite harmless and slightly beneficial.

in PvP

Posted by: Silinsar.6298

Silinsar.6298

Nonsense, just because someone can do things you can not, doesn’t mean he’s macro’ing.

So like, the majority of the players who use a gaming mouse. That doesn’t count anyone else with a non gaming mouse who uses programs like autohotkey to simulate macros similar to the performance of a gaming mouse.

Binding a key to a additional mouse key is no macro. Just because there’s software that can perform macros, doesn’t mean people are using it. I’d say most people are just binding things to their mouse.

Arenanet can’t enforce people to not use macros.. you can suspect some one using a macro in play but you can never know for certain. Only way Anet can know without a doubt is in WTS when people are literally watching players set up their gaming mouse keybindings.

Usually there are things like logs, which among other things let devs lookup player inputs. If there are multiple skills activated at the exact same time, activated with a fix interval or repeated exactly every x seconds this indicates macro usage. If these intervals stay the same or change in a systematic matter for an extended period of time, you can almost be sure someone is using a software to produce inputs.
Macros aren’t something to be spotted or reported by players, imo. People are just to subjective about it and tend to assume that others have an unfair advantage way too fast (see the first quote for reference).

About WTS I don’t know, but my guess is that players just bind (single) skills to their mouse keys.

in PvP

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Everyone with a empty dodge bar, when gets bursted, the instint is to jump dodge from that aoe red circle, all the player will see is a character jumping on the field lol…
Sametimes it feels that we are goign to time with a 50% endurance bar but that ~1% makes it fail >_> and ima a bag.

Most macroed classes are D/D eles Mesmer and thiefs, engie is more for the field blasts.

Ç_Ç

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in PvP

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Ask Davinci, he knows all about macroing..
jokes aside, macroing is a mouse function on most if not all gaming mice today so it’s hard to tell. Macroing skills is one thing but macroing jump dodge is nothing. There is no gain from it that will essentially give you the upper hand over other players.

Säïnt

in PvP

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Ask Davinci, he knows all about macroing..
jokes aside, macroing is a mouse function on most if not all gaming mice today so it’s hard to tell. Macroing skills is one thing but macroing jump dodge is nothing. There is no gain from it that will essentially give you the upper hand over other players.

It is in Eula, that they can scan programs “atached/ont op of/overrride” to gw2 client (not sure but would not suprise me if they have it, and have almost sure of it).

Combat mode is easy detected by just observing (for player that used it in the past even on otehr games, i even noticed player using packet editors in gw2).

The problem is that this tools easilly give player advantage in combat, thus that is what makes it violate the Eula.

Also if i recal jump dodge avoid condi of wells and fields, player gets less stacks.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in PvP

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

The only time I have been certain of a macro usage was a thief in WvW, he went
Basilisk Venom
Shadow Shot
Hydromancy/Leeching Weapon swap
Shadow Strike
Scorpion Wire
Shadow Strike
Steal
Shadow Strike

All in like 3s. He was just running around doing the exact same combo constantly.

in PvP

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

You use the following saying when using macro’s in GW2 – don’t ask, don’t tell.

They have no detection system other than having a GM visual inspect what’s going on.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in PvP

Posted by: Swiftly.2385

Swiftly.2385

Basilisk Venom
Shadow Shot
Shadow Strike
Scorpion Wire
Shadow Strike
Steal
Shadow Strike

All in like 3s. He was just running around doing the exact same combo constantly.

So this was the reason I asked the question. I ran into two different rangers that were executing their skills in a series that really wasn’t possible without some sort of macro. And as you describe exactly the same combo of skills every single time including a weapon swap.

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Basilisk Venom
Shadow Shot
Shadow Strike
Scorpion Wire
Shadow Strike
Steal
Shadow Strike

That’s possible without macro use AND very easy to do so. Most of the skills you listed have enough cast time, that you can chain those without a problem.

I ran into two different rangers that were executing their skills in a series that really wasn’t possible without some sort of macro.

The same is true for rangers. They don’t have a punch of instant skills and therefore they are very easy to chain together.

People that look suspicious to me are e.g. full arcane fresh air eles.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

(edited by Teutos.8620)

in PvP

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

The way I have my keyboard offset when I play makes it super easy to jump-dodge 100% of the time in wvw and pvp. V key for dodge, space bar for jump. MAYBE I miss it once in a while, like once every 10 hours of play. I’ve been accused in whisper of macroing, but truth be told, I’m a 53 year old computer illiterate and have absolutely no idea how I would go about making different keys do the job of other keys. Jump-dodge is not in any way an indication of macroing, and reporting someone for doing so could get YOU banned for false reporting and is a waste of Anet’s resources investigating someone because you lost a match to them in pvp or wvw.

in PvP

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Lol, i can do that all time, dodge set as alt, so alt + space its pretty easy.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Back to the original question. Essentially it is this:

1. If you map a button to 1 key stroke, that is perfectly acceptable. For example, if you want to heal through a mouse click, do it. It is allowed.
2. If you program a mouse button to have a series of movies. For example, drop water field, blast, switch weapons, blast again all on one button press, that is not allowed. People who do that are cheaters.

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Back to the original question. Essentially it is this:

1. If you map a button to 1 key stroke, that is perfectly acceptable. For example, if you want to heal through a mouse click, do it. It is allowed.
*2. If you program a mouse button to have a series of movies. For example, drop water field, blast, switch weapons, blast again all on one button press, that is not allowed. People who do that are cheaters.

I’ve been aware of the official post. But does that mean someone could hypothetically bind "one key press" to hit different keys in sequence, and that would be legit on the basis that it’s "one click per action?"

Like if a button of a gaming mouse was set up so first click drops a feld, second click blasts, third swaps weapons, ect. (as per example: *2) Does that mean someone can button mash a rotation and it be fair game?

Contented based priority, and self interuption aside... That still sounds like cheating to me.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

long story short:

- many people definately use macros (Even some “top” players)

- you can’t prove it

so have fun reporting people for something anet can’t verify

weird thing is dat official gw2 keyboard from steel series actually supports macros

#logic

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

Posted by: RevanCorana.8942

RevanCorana.8942

Everyone uses macro at least for jump dodging lol

in PvP

NeXeD.3042

Everyone uses macro at least for jump dodging lol

Only if you are not good enough to do it manually.

in PvP

Posted by: RevanCorana.8942

RevanCorana.8942

There’s still a chance of ending up jumping in the air for good players without dodging, with a macro it always work.

in PvP

Krysard.1364

There’s still a chance of ending up jumping in the air for good players without dodging, with a macro it always work.

Yeh, but macros are not allowed, so I think I can train in order to press two buttons at the same time

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

NeXeD.3042

Nope I can do it 100% of the time I want too. And I’m not even a good player.

There’s a chance you don’t press your stunbreak fast enough… guess that means everyone capable of running scripts to auto stunbreak must be doing that too.

in PvP

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Thank god that my 24 years old keyboard have dodge jump button. It’s just too hard push alt and space same time.

Attachments:

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

(edited by Junkpile.7439)

in PvP

Krysard.1364

Thank god that my 24 years old keyboard have dodge jump button. It’s just too hard push alt and space same time.

Nice macro there

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Macros arent allowed in this game (with few exceptions, like playing songs with an instrument)

Is there a source for this? I would love to be able to make my character play music but I am extremely untalented and this would be cool – I haven’t looked very far into it but since you say its allowed can you tell me where it was said?

in PvP

Krysard.1364

It was explained on this forums. You can play instruments using macros cause it doesnt gives you an advantage over other players. I dont know on which post that was said, sorry for not being able to help you more, but if you look for posts related to macros or playing instruments, you will surely found it ^^

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: Tala.7638

Tala.7638

okay so because i have practiced slamming my space bar and V at the same time, and am finally good at it…this means i use a macro? because i actually practiced this for months when i started spvp’g….i am confused. i do not miss many dodge/jumps. maybe 1 outta 10 wont go…and half the time it is because i ran outta energy

Talaysteria/Talas Cap/Talarenth
THE Mystic Plumbers [LUCK]
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

in PvP

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

so basically that’s how you tell if are macroing ? dodge jump ? any other indicator you can tell if people are macroing ?

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in PvP

Posted by: SolarDragon.7063

SolarDragon.7063

Simply put, if someone is executing ridiculously long chains of instant cast skills with no delay reliably you can suspect them of macroing. SUSPECT being the key word. The only time I’ve ever been suspicious of macros was a particular thief who was way, way too fast at comboing his own fields and chaining attacks.
That said, knowing your own class lets you throw awfully fast chains that could look like macros to someone unfamiliar/untrained with the class.

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

That tiny benefit is matter, cos its a whole evade frame. imagine when that tiny benefit got abused, no need to draw a picture right?

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

in PvP

Posted by: Bitty.1409

Bitty.1409

I guess it ‘s reportable but I wouldn’t go around accusing people; I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been accused of macroing my scepter ele burst combo. It’s flattering but it gets kinda old after awhile. Always keep in mind that just because you can’t perform a certain “combo” consistently, that doesn’t mean that it’s impossible for others too.

Team Spoookie – Shnicky

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

In order to detect macroing the macro device would have to give away that it is doing so. If a device that can macro doesn’t flag itself as macroing you won’t be able to tell unless the macro is very remedial.

By remedial macro I mean macros that have a consistent input pattern without a variance in milliseconds between each input. Even if a macro is remedial though, in order to detect it you would need to be logging player inputs over time and identify consistently a lack of variance of time between sequential inputs.

An example would be if you are doing the dodge jump inputs and the time variance between the dodge and the jump inputs is consistently say 35 milliseconds, then you can assume a macro is being used.

However, if someone’s macro has a time variance between the inputs and uses the full spectrum of the 50 milliseconds alloted so that a logging tool would capture variances of 35, 29, 19, 45, etc… then even if a macro is being used there’s no way to truly tell even if it’s being used (again unless the macro input/device flags itself).

All that said.. macro’s would only be detrimental in this game’s pvp, except potentially for dodge jumping, jump leaping skills, and quick inputs of using instant cast abilities together. Besides those three instances, I can’t think of anything worth even scanning for. There is also the Hidden Thief trait tech that’s exists too, but no self respecting Thief that PvP’s would use a macro for that or any reason. The timing on everything can be committed to muscle memory after a couple days of play after all.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in PvP

Posted by: vashio.6297

vashio.6297

Quote by arenanet in 2013

“As part of ArenaNet’s policy on third-party programs, we are often asked about multi-boxing and the use of macros. Here is our policy:

Macros
Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a 1 key for 1 function protocol.

This means that if you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions.
For example, if you Press A and it results in the casting of a single skill, you’re ok. If you Press A and it casts multiple spells, you’re not ok.
You cannot program a macro to performs the same or multiple actions on more than one account at a time.
You cannot program an “auto-clicker” macro that, for instance, opens chests while you play elsewhere.

Dual- or Multi-Boxing

You may use more than one account at the same time.
You may use more than one computer at the same time.
You must be actively playing on each account.
And as stated above, you may not program your keyboard to perform functions on more than one account at a time.
For example, if you press W on your keyboard to move forward, a single character on a single account should move forward. The keystroke or mouse click should not perform functions on more than one account."

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/1043-macros-multi-boxing-and-guild-wars-2/

Post by arenanet sometime in 2013

(edited by vashio.6297)

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

Should be more concerned with dodge/rupt bots. Now that stuff is annoying.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.