Is pvp dead? You decide

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Bulldozer.5973

Bulldozer.5973

The game desperately needs dueling. If it were me I would implement this feature ASAP and make the Mist area where the gear and game merchants are located a restricted dueling area. I think it would be awesome to breath some life into this area. So many people just come and go and hardly anyone says a word to one another. This could really help initiate some conversation among the pvp community.

Other sPVP formats are a must!

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

match making should be #1 priority. Finish that so at least people have fun balanced matches then go from there. Private servers isn’t going to bring any casuals back to pvp.

Problem is, with the current tournament system it is not gonna work. You think people complain about the queues now? Wait until they implement a match making system that tries to find 8 equally ranked teams…

you just do it like WoW. It spends x amount of time finding someone within x rank of you then, expands accordingly.

So for example using random numbers. It spends 5 minute to find teams within +/- 50 rank points. Then another minute to find someone teams within +/- 100 rank points then another minute to find teams within +/- 200 rank points and so on until you have 8 teams.

But obviously if pvp is dead nothing will help queue times.

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

(edited by Sprawl.3891)

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Project Shrine Maiden.9623

Project Shrine Maiden.9623

/duel is kind of necessary. all you can do right now to prove your individual skills is join an empty server and fight it out before people come and interrupt… the fact that there are plenty of empty servers to choose from is something else entirely, however.

mmm and possibly /rank on a shorter cooldown!

Team Shanghai Alice

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Rythgar.2896

Rythgar.2896

match making should be #1 priority. Finish that so at least people have fun balanced matches then go from there. Private servers isn’t going to bring any casuals back to pvp.

Problem is, with the current tournament system it is not gonna work. You think people complain about the queues now? Wait until they implement a match making system that tries to find 8 equally ranked teams…

you just do it like WoW. It spends x amount of time finding someone within x rank of you then, expands accordingly.

I don’t think you grasp what I’m trying to say. First of, we can not be using rank as a factor in match making since it does not reflect skill in any kind of a way.

Also, the system would still need to find 8 teams for a single match, and every one of those 8 teams would need to be at about equal rankings. The queues are “long” now, with the system matching up the first 8 signed teams for a tournament, can’t you see how incredibly much longer the queue would be with a ranked system?

Only way I see we can get a working ladder/ranking/match making system is if they scrap the tournament game style as the “go to style” and does it as the other games do, simple 2 team games of 3 or 5 matches.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

I don’t think you grasp what I’m trying to say. First of, we can not be using rank as a factor in match making since it does not reflect skill in any kind of a way.

Also, the system would still need to find 8 teams for a single match, and every one of those 8 teams would need to be at about equal rankings. The queues are “long” now, with the system matching up the first 8 signed teams for a tournament, can’t you see how incredibly much longer the queue would be with a ranked system?

Only way I see we can get a working ladder/ranking/match making system is if they scrap the tournament game style as the “go to style” and does it as the other games do, simple 2 team games of 3 or 5 matches.

i meant rank as in a new ranking system they need to add. Not ridiculous QP that has zero to do with skill.

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Rythgar.2896

i meant rank as in a new ranking system they need to add. Not ridiculous QP that has zero to do with skill.

Ah I see, but still wont work with the current tournament system

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Raijinn.9065

Raijinn.9065

So basically from what mr sharp says we won’t see new spvp game modes anytime soon. Like someone said earlier, you could have 12 maps and they will all get boring fast with the same mode. New game modes would do so much more then leaderboards

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Rythgar.2896

So basically from what mr sharp says we won’t see new spvp game modes anytime soon. Like someone said earlier, you could have 12 maps and they will all get boring fast with the same mode. New game modes would do so much more then leaderboards

Personally I value progress way (and I mean way!) more than a bit more of variety. Especially since most other game modes out there is a bad idea. I am more than satisfied with the conquest game mode and the additional tidbits per map (like Svanir/chieftain or Lord).

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Monarch.4026

Monarch.4026

Quick to the point. Look around at all the classes on the forums on the PVP spectrum of things. Every class is suffering, maybe not an equal amount, but they are suffering. This is not going to turn into a plea for my main as a class, but rather an eye opener for those of you who do not see what actually is happening.
Yes, things in very simple words, are just messed up right now. But if you look at the patches and what they are doing to the classes, Arena Net is actually being smart about the situation. They are taking all the classes down a few notches, and setting back in a sort of “beginning” phase. Do you think that they would just leave them this way? No, they will, slowly, bring them back to life, but in the way they were intended. But it takes ALOT of work, I know from experience. They may be doing things in a way that you do not agree, but they are in fact working on it; They just have not been very vocal about it, as not to confuse the community or stir them up. Do realize that this game is still brand new, and will take time to get to a suitable place that everyone enjoys.
While everyone has their opinions on how certain classes should act, and everyone has different ideas on future PVP implementations, there are some that I am sure we can all agree on.
1. THERE NEEDS (not want) NEEDS, to be a “Duel” option. Everyone likes to be able to have that option, whether or not you accept to duel someone is different. But it is nice to be able to just battle it out at any lvl in any zone, with a buddy, and fight!
2. THERE NEEDS to be 1v1 pvp matches and tournaments, as well as 2v2.
These two should be standard in GW2 and I am not sure why they have not done it yet.
So the idea of this post, is to get you, the players, to comment below, and share your ideas, whether they are positive or negative. We need feedback. But I do ask, that you act not as a dog while posting, but as an intellectual individual who can make an educated statement, not just blurt out what you want to get attention.
Thank you for reading this, and please comment below.

-Kyle

There will never be a 1v1 option. To do so would spot light op classes and anet can’t have that. Can you imagine the stats for thieves in 1v1 tournaments!?! Talk about a moment of clarity!

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: samo.1054

samo.1054

Great thread guys. Some positive posts in here. It’s always great to see you guys passionately voicing how the game needs to improve.

I think that dueling is a great feature, but I don’t think it’s as important (right now) as ratings or a leaderboard is. With custom arenas, people will be able to duel all day long (1v1, or 2v2, or 3v3), so it seems to me that we need to focus more on rankings and leaderboards.

To that same end, I think that other game modes are something we’ll look at down the road, but for now, I think other features are just more important (like rankings, custom arenas where people can practice in private, leaderboards, spectator mode).

I can agree with those priorities, I just hope to see them soon. :P

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Rythgar.2896

There will never be a 1v1 option. To do so would spot light op classes and anet can’t have that. Can you imagine the stats for thieves in 1v1 tournaments!?! Talk about a moment of clarity!

To be fair, I would love a 1vs1 tournament if all I have to meet is thieves, I have up to this moment just lost to one thief in a straight 1vs1. And he’s on my own team so, no worries there!

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: josephsora.4579

josephsora.4579

then rating and matchmaking should be combination of both systems. Like in GW1 – you had the otpion to play “ladder games” with small ELO gain or you had the option to play “tournament” with longer waiting times but higher ELO rewards.. in fact i remember we offten combined both in evenings.. so it was fine

But hey.. matchmaking please.. its important.. otherwise casuals will not come back.. and we all need them..

Ya, matchmaking is so important. Nothing is fun when we cant even start a game like paid tournament forever queuing right now lol.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

With custom arenas, people will be able to duel all day long (1v1, or 2v2, or 3v3), so it seems to me that we need to focus more on rankings and leaderboards.

I just hope you don’t ignore actual Dueling for Custom Arenas. Instanced dueling is lame. You have to basically find people who want to join your server, and then duel them in a Conquest objective-based PvP map, which is kind of gimmicky.

Real dueling should be like how it is in WoW. You could designate an area in The Mists where people can duel, and people can come and go to duel. You can duel total strangers much easier than dueling inside an instance. It kills time between queues.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Some nice suggestions here. I’d like to add my views on this area of the game too, so here’s my input.

I have only played a little bit of sPvP so far and although I have enjoyed the available maps and the conquest game style, I do feel that GW2 needs more options to please the various PvP players out there. Here are things I would like in the game.

Dueling – As has already been mentioned, I’d really like to see dueling in GW2 for a few reasons. It will allow friends, and even opponents, to practice builds and skill in a casual environment or just for fun. It will allow players to set up their own unique battles in various surroundings. Just imagine setting up a duel in the middle of a risen heavy area, or balanced atop precarious battlements where a fall equals defeat. It would also allow players to show teams their talents far better then any arbitrary score, that can be gained over a long period of play. A bad player can still amount a lot of glory over time and therefore have a high rank, but if there was a way to demonstrate your skill to a potential group it would help teams to pick players that can contribute to the battle ahead and allow you to show them that you ARE good even if your rank is low. I’d also like to see team vs team duels if possible, as it can help players practice team tactics in various surroundings, and allows players to create fun exhibition matches for large crowds of spectators, in a gladiatorial fashion.

Fort Assault – Some of the most fun I’ve had in WvW is when attacking/defending a tower/fort/keep. I would love to see a scaled down version of this as an sPvP game type. It could be for 10v10, 20v20 or even more. There could be 2 versions of this game. One where you have an attacking and defending force, where one group must defend the fort for a set amount of time while the other group must destroy/capture it. The other version could have 2 forts and each team must destroy or capture the opposing teams fort.

TF Style Assault – One of my favourite map types in Team Fortress was the assault map, where one team had to defend points on a path while the other had to push forward. These maps always had some great frantic moments and had a real sense of progression as the battle went on. I think that the professions in GW2 would lend a great deal to this game type and with monsters and ally NPC’s thrown in it could make for some interesting games.

As I said before I don’t play much sPvP and I feel that is because the current game type is only fun for a short while. Adding more PvP features and game types would allow more people to enjoy the PvP part of the game more, in a way that suits them. I’m sure Anet will add more options as time goes on and I look forward to seeing how the game develops.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Zosk.5609

Zosk.5609

No MMO ever really tries to balance 1v1, because to do so just means your game’s classes are super boring, basically interchangeable, and have no strengths and weaknesses. But plenty of games have allowed dueling.

The idea that it’s important is pretty funny though. If you’ve played any games like this you know there is ALWAYS this super vocal “soloer” minority, and they’re always pretending like everybody in the game cares about 1v1 (they don’t) and that the game needs to be balanced for 1v1 combat (it doesn’t). It doesn’t matter how much the game goes out of it’s way to declare it is a team PvP or RvR/WvW game..they are always there whining for duels until they get them…then they whine about 1v1 balance.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Malicious.6742

Malicious.6742

This game needs competitive larged scaled GvG in addition to the current sPvP/tPvP and WvW. Moreover tPvP needs to become complex, right now it’s friggin simple.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Alekto.8297

Alekto.8297

…I think that other game modes are something we’ll look at down the road, but for now, I think other features are just more important (like rankings, custom arenas where people can practice in private, leaderboards, spectator mode).

Okey, well you should just know the xPvP is sinking… something is really wrong, and rankings/leaderboards/spectator mode won’t cure GW2 PvP main problem : boredom… How can i get challenge? tPvP? Sure, as a solo queuer, facing a 5 premade team is all but funny/challenging… You will tell me “find a xPvP guild, then you will have teammates to group with” OK… Such guilds are breaking…more and more, my own real-friends team broke 2 weeks ago… all my friends left, and i’m afraid i will do so soon enough

Btw i would add (one more time) that hardcorers (those who are calling for Rankings, Leaderboards) are a MINORITY of the PvP Community… What do you Anet propose for the MAJORITY? Rank lvl grinding and PvE skins.. and oh capture based maps … YAY o//

(edited by Alekto.8297)

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Shan.4395

Shan.4395

OP: thank you for making this post, i totally agree, i hate this zerger game (WvW an Spvp) and if there is no 1v1 i will quit.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I’d prefer the game to be balanced for team play rather than 1v1, but I’d still like dueling in just for fun and practice.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Trippen.3408

Trippen.3408

Dueling should have been in from the get go. I’m kind of surprised this was overlooked. Sure, you see rooms with 2 or 3 people who are only dueling – but you must rely on a gentlemen’s agreement for others not to interfere.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

Leaderboards will help, but I am not sure they will help make people care about Cap Point mode.

Other game modes should be higher up on the list of priorities. Forget the e-sports stuff until you have a mode that people care enough about. I would be playing more spvp if there were more game options. I played thousands of hours of Guild Wars spvp and I just can’t get into the current maps. The community is not for Cap Point.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: lyn.4156

lyn.4156

Sort out zergs everything else is secondary. I stopped playing because of the zerg fest. Not because there are no duels leatherbords and so on.

You need to implement changes that discourage zergs thats all. Game will be good again.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Rhydian.5412

Rhydian.5412

Sort out zergs everything else is secondary. I stopped playing because of the zerg fest. Not because there are no duels leatherbords and so on.

You need to implement changes that discourage zergs thats all. Game will be good again.

Oh you mean like someone not playing a dps spec, god forbid that could happen. Too much emphasis was put on conditions and damage, any thing else is just too weak. UO had more diversity than they have here. .. I mean vanilla pre ren UO, its awful.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper.9201

Reaper.9201

I fear until Anet releases a structured for of PvP and ELO / Ranking their PvP really is dead. I didn’t rush to 80 I casually played through the game trying out different classes. When I hit 80 I was excited to dive into PvP as I’m a hard core competitive player in quite a few games. ( LoL / WoW / SC2 etc.. ) But unfortunately I must say when I started to get into PvP I was just disappointed over all. WvWvW is very lack luster for something on such a large scale. Relying on others in the server to take the match seriously or fight in any type of constructed manor just tends to not end up well. Then I jumped into sPvP looking for a little more fast paced action. Upon starting sPvP I was pleased at first. Played quite a few games but then it kind of peaked out. I find that it’s just too easy and not at all competitive for someone who takes seriously to competition. tPvP is a step up but ends up with the same issue. Either you’re moping the floor with people in a constructed team or you’re the one being moped by a constructed team there’s no real middle ground. I’m anxious to see what they implement in the up coming months. I’m hoping and praying that they quickly implement a structured ladder / ranking system and a 5v5 or 3v3 type of match making or I fear I might end up leaving this game.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

I dont support 1v1 match making, as the balancing decisions that may come from it would negatively impact what i think ought to be a team oordination game.

I grudgingly accept that 2v2 may be viable practice for the kinds of skirmishes players will often find themselves faced with in the detestable 5v5 capture and hold game mode.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: rEaPeX.8415

rEaPeX.8415

1v1 wouldn’t change the balance, because every class can win against every one at the moment….all these threads about op classes are more like l2p issues…the balance in this game is extremely good, there are only some bunker builds wich ruin the meta in tpvp, but with the new timer this could also be fixed

but thats just my opinion…i’d like a 1v1

R E A P E X – Necromancer – EU

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

Imo the success in Esports comes with the balance..Theres no point to be playing as a casual player if you know that you are a step behind than others.
A good step to this direction was the no gear farming for pvp..
But after all this time still some proffessions/builds are the best in PvP and people dont want to play over and over the same build/proffession.
So yes,the pvp is dead imo….its just sad to go on twitch.tv and witness GW2 channel with 300 max viewers

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Sebyos.4089

Sebyos.4089

PvP isn’t dead it isn’t even alive yet. I mean kittening seriously it was released dead and they are trying to put life in it. For me it will be too little too late, I’m done waiting for magic patches and be disappointed every time.

What a zergy unfinished piece of kitten this is. Can’t even play more than 10 minutes now.

80 Norn Necromancer Max : JC, WS, TL, AT.
100% World completion.

(edited by Sebyos.4089)

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Ebon.7641

Ebon.7641

Dueling is not currently in development. Some of the other things mentioned, however, are.

Well it should be. We shouldn’t have to pay for and set up a custom arena and be forced to go to HOTM just to duel. What about the people who are mainly PVE players but enjoy dueling with their friends out in the world?

Kind of really disappointed to hear you’re not working on it.

I realize you have priorities to improve sPVP, but I hope you implement on-the-fly dueling sooner than later.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Embershard.7294

Embershard.7294

Im a little confused. By Mists being empty…. do we mean the servers in spvp or the lobby were we stand around and chat? Everytime i look theres a bunch of servers with people pvping in them. Im glad theyre not sitting around just chilling. Im not getting the whole pvp is dead thing… tpvp is a little bit of a wait on off hours because its regional. Someone clarify please

Necromancer – Embershard
Guardian – Vindicator Azure
Thief – Labrat Thief

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

sPVP was dead at release, roaming small group WVW is the real PVP.

downed state is bad for PVP

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Great thread guys. Some positive posts in here. It’s always great to see you guys passionately voicing how the game needs to improve.

I think that dueling is a great feature, but I don’t think it’s as important (right now) as ratings or a leaderboard is. With custom arenas, people will be able to duel all day long (1v1, or 2v2, or 3v3), so it seems to me that we need to focus more on rankings and leaderboards.

To that same end, I think that other game modes are something we’ll look at down the road, but for now, I think other features are just more important (like rankings, custom arenas where people can practice in private, leaderboards, spectator mode).

Johnny for the love of God, bring back random arenas! I can’t stand this capping bunker bullkitten.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: TheZeus.8617

TheZeus.8617

It’s dead, till they realize the things we have been asking for should have been in at release… Why they released it without these features is beyond me.. Did they all want money before x-mas? So they could buy fancy cars with all the money they stole from us? Probably.

1. Duels
2. Custom Arenas
3. FREAKING GOOD RATING SYSTEM (not this BS QP one atm)
4. more types of PVP

IF they would have just ported in what they did to GW1 dressed it up with some fancy looks it would have been amazing PVP but no. So until they do more will flock away from it. Just like i have to PS2 atm.

Athena War Goddess
[TWIN] Anvil Rock

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Embershard.7294

Im still not getting my question answered. Just saying its dead than going on a list of what it should have doesnt prove its dead. Are people not pvping in your region? Maybe its just my region that has pvpers? I know when i hit the unhide all full servers box in spvp theres ALOT that are full. If pvp were dead i would think that the forums would be less active as well. Perhaps the word dead is better replaced with… stale… or simple? Theres so many people playing to rank up and perfect their builds and solidify their stance in pvp before it takes off in order to already be at the top. Its far from dead. Dead is like signing into eq2 and being 1 of 10 on the whole server.

Necromancer – Embershard
Thief – Labrat Thief

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

TheZeus.8617

LOL servers are full b/c of PVE not PVP…….. Anivl is prob the most populated even then there is maybe 150 on in it at a time…. other servers are lucky to see the same if not a lot less.. So yeah more and more are leaving. Just b/c it says full doesn’t mean the pvp lobby is full… its far from the opposite. I PvPd for over 1000 hours and let me tell you there are only so many viable builds for every class. Say no all you want but its true with all the nerfs going on Embershard. And yes PVP is dying faster and faster b/c they did not deliver AGAIN on what they said they would put into last patch.

Athena War Goddess
[TWIN] Anvil Rock

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Embershard.7294

Im not talking about the servers like tarnished coast or desolation or dragonbrand. Im talking about the servers in the HotM. This needs screenshots i guess. No use having a convo without some proof i suppose. ’Ll screenshot some at 0200 than some at 1800. Fraps some tpvp que time to show it too. Itll be up tomorrow night.

Necromancer – Embershard
Thief – Labrat Thief

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

TheZeus.8617

You still dont get it do you.. ALL of the PVP is tied together… Take your SS, still will be dead.. Doesn’t matter to me ask the people here they will say the same kitten. This games PVP community is dying fast. SPECIALLY when the same teams Q for paids with hardly anyone else Q’n thats a problem. If you think 50 people on one server is popping and populated for PVP well hats of to you but it isn’t.

Athena War Goddess
[TWIN] Anvil Rock

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Aegis Fang.5394

Aegis Fang.5394

Pvp in this game overall as far as setup goes Im fine with, a duel option would be a nice added feature though. Reason pvp in this game sucks for most people is because of thieves. I came to this game with 4 other friends and the last one just quit today due to thief bs with ridiculous damage an being invisible to boot. Im about done myself to be honest.

If they want to add extra things to the pvp maps an design Im all for it so thumbs up for this post but really they need to balance that thief class. If one more even slight nerf to the toons I play happen an thieves can still pull their no skill bs with impunity, Im done too.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Embershard.7294

Nevermind. I’m not continuing this discussion TheZeus. Glad I can read other players’ posts because all you have to say are negative things yet keep coming back to the forums. Ehhh…. I tend to enjoy this more with people that are open minded than what sounds like rage quit posts. I’ll say this though, the game has been out for several months… can you refer to another PC game that was stable enough to implement all these pvp features you are asking for in such a short amount of time, without the bugs that are currently in the mix? I will go on continuing to have fun with the Pvp GW2 currently has, while still hoping for the best. If I had to pay a monthly fee to do so, than maybe I would feel the same way.

Necromancer – Embershard
Thief – Labrat Thief

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Pjizzil.3701

Pjizzil.3701

Pvp in this game overall as far as setup goes Im fine with, a duel option would be a nice added feature though. Reason pvp in this game sucks for most people is because of thieves. I came to this game with 4 other friends and the last one just quit today due to thief bs with ridiculous damage an being invisible to boot. Im about done myself to be honest.

I want to first say thieves are not as ridiculous as your stating whether it is your opinion or your friends. I have a thief and I can tell you right now the damage that they can put out can be shut down if you crowd control. Also they cannot stay invisible. That would then be ridiculous and they would have to lower their damage so they can’t global someone by just spamming skills like in WoW.

Someone said something about finding viable builds in PvP. Imo you are limited to the build viable against others by the weapons you can equip in either hand. I’m not complaining that they made it so you get on certain skills with the weapons you got on, I’m just wondering what was wrong with GW1 style? I mean yeah it is more work because you would have about triple the work you do now on skills, but it made players have to think what to put on their bars because they could only use a number of skills. Now you just learn the skills of the weapon when you kill enemies with it. Again not complaining, just wondering why if anyone knows.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: MistyMountains.3751

MistyMountains.3751

Neither Duels or a 1v1/2v2 option is a “need” and can already be accomplished with strategic room choices…also neither would improve the current state of pvp in this game =/
what we need are
-Balance issues resolved
-Bugs fixed…oh gawd theres so many
-More map type choices

…That would be a great start…

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Esthetx.6412

Esthetx.6412

2v2, 3v3, 5v5 Rated Arena Deathmatch and nice-looking gear rewards available to craft from reaching a certain rating.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Pjizzil.3701

Pjizzil.3701

2v2, 3v3, 5v5 Rated Arena Deathmatch and nice-looking gear rewards available to craft from reaching a certain rating.

crafting is a good idea, but since you can only have two professions people will think one is favored over another. 2v2 might be pushing it. I can see the nerf bat winding up for the pitch if that came out because it would show how much one class could dominate another while the partner may do little to no work(like spamming crowd control skills). 3v3 and 5v5 one person can’t do that, which forces them to act like a team.

I was a hardcore GW fan and played a ranger and assassin in both PvP and PvE. After beating GW1 and hearing that GW2 was in the works I got away from it and went to WoW(because of friends). I left that because I heard GW2 had came out and was so excited. Everyone here who has played GW waited patiently for GW2 because I lost count how many times it got pushed back. I just hope that they find the “equilibrium” that they are searching for this game to surpass GW reputation.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Aragiel.6132

Aragiel.6132

I’m just wondering what was wrong with GW1 style? I mean yeah it is more work because you would have about triple the work you do now on skills, but it made players have to think what to put on their bars because they could only use a number of skills. Now you just learn the skills of the weapon when you kill enemies with it. Again not complaining, just wondering why if anyone knows.

Well, I will never stop saying that GW1 was the best PVP game i have ever played and one of reasons is due to choices you did with your class.

But to your question, i remember an interview where one of the devs said that the reason behind is also (not the only reason) that GW1 players were using bad builds and therefore newcomers had bad times to find “good” combination, and they offten lost games due to that. They wanted to make sure at least 5 skills on skilbar does have good synergy and are usable (well, i guess they failed at this point hardly, because most weapons have at least one or two crappy skills.. )

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Nimraphel.7819

Nimraphel.7819

ELO / Ranking is paramount.

This is indisputable; the fact that a rank 1 team can end up facing a rank 40+ team is kitten beyond description.

• Add an ELO / Ranking system
  • Matchmaking
  • Shove people into ladders corresponding to their skill. In fact, just copy StarCraft II in this regard.
  • Hold weekly ‘(play-off)finals’ within each ladder between the top of (hypothetical here) Silver Ladder and bottom of Gold Ladder, much like a soccer league.

Then you’d see tPvP interest explode. Then you’d see people compete. Then you’d see people become engaged. Then you’d have people naturally gravitating towards competitive (esport)play.

Until we have matchmaking, this is impossible.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: enzone.5924

enzone.5924

I feel that the main problems are these:

1) PvP feels repetitive and as consequence boring. There are many reasons for that but for me the main is how combat is designed. In general you dodge and do damage. CC and healing skills (except the self heal) are having little impact and don’t feel rewarding to use. So the combat focus is in dodging and spaming your dps skills. If you manage to land your damage and dodge his you win, else you loose. And every encounter feels the same.

What also doesn’t help is how hard are the most skill animation to read. So most of the cases I don’t know what is going on. I know that something is happening so I dodge to avoid it but don’t exactly know what. I’ll admit that with more experience it is getting better but still it is just not fun. Not being able to understand exactly what is going on facilitates this “repetitive feel”.

As everyone else say most of the battle grounds doesn’t feel different. I agree that we urgently need new pvp mode. Even if it is not balanced. At this point the balance is not the biggest problem. Boredom kills the pvp!

2) PvP feels zergy. I don’t know why you guys tought that 8v8 is a good idea. Since we can play 5v5 it is much better. However on my server most 5v5 games are empty. I guess that this is because they are so down in the map listing. Please promote them better.

3) No hope on horizon. I don’t want to be dramatic here. What I mean is that I don’t believe that announced changes will help. Something more I think that the problems are very deep into the game design so it is probably nearly impossible to do them at this stage…

I hope you come up with some great ideas, we need them

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Trevos.6473

Trevos.6473

5v5 spvp is just the same as 8v8 since everybokittenep zerging together no chance for some good 1v1 node defending fights or 2v2 etc its just 5v1s and running around over and over again. This can be solved with a ticking node defending bonus (10point every 30 sec maybe)

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: death be thy mask.3624

death be thy mask.3624

There is a lot of work to be done, and i am sure Anet is up to the task. Class balancing. leaderboards etc etc, but after all of this i would like to see a different type of PVP other than anything to do with the mists or WVW. I would like to see a guild battles option, possibly if they come out with guild halls like there was in GW1. ive enjoyed PVP in GW1 and in GW2, but my favorite PVP i would have to say was GW1 guild battles, and i think it could be implemented very well and enhanced. Again, im talkin a long ways down the future, but this is something i would enjoy seeing. Not just team up with guildies to do Tpvp, but to have guild battles and possibly even guild pvp ladders would be awesome to me. Just my 2 cents

(edited by death be thy mask.3624)

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: Catalyst.8075

Catalyst.8075

I agree with xom, dueling isn’t just to show off your kitten. It makes people better pvpers, by fighting other professions in a controlled environment that you can test abilities against the ones you are struggling with.

As long as there is an option to block all duels, it shouldn’t bother those who are opposed to it.

Is pvp dead? You decide

in PvP

Posted by: stratosphere.9401

stratosphere.9401

1. Solo queue free tournaments. Would let new players pvp without getting stomped by premades. As said spvp is extremely zergy and disorganized with people leaving in the middle of the match. Matchmaking by rank is a good idea to get new players into pvp but may just increase queue times.
2. Balance is priority. It is just so boring that teams need run the same comp every match to win: bunker guardian/engi, portal mesmer, roaming warrior/ thieves and perhaps a condimancer. It is definitely fun to experiment different builds and team comps. There needs to be more builds viable competitively.

Not a huge fan of dueling and deathmatches though, since this will mean some builds and professions are useless, but can be just for the fun. Different game types will definitely add variety into the game.