Matchmaking doesn't seem improved

in PvP

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

On the opposite end, I keep getting grouped with 4man or 3man guild groups that obviously have never played before. I watched all four go home a few matches ago. They run in and insta down in every fight. And then they give up after that. It’s happened many times.

I don’t really care about going up against the best players and losing, but it is beyond frustrating to go against really bad players that the typical all solo queue team from before the changes would have cruised to victory over and watching it slowly grow into a loss because my team doesn’t understand basics of the game mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

Isn’t this why you guys added solo queue in the first place? I’m really scratching my head here.

We added it for the same reason we removed it. Player demand. We can make it work, even if we have to use the nuclear option of hard filters.

There are a few things going on, and we need to pick threw the data to see if we can find the truth.

Based on the data alone so far, I’d say we’re at least 90% toward where we all want to be. Just need to drive home that last bit. The vast majority of matches are solos vs solos. When they aren’t, the groups are usually spread on both sides pretty evenly.

When its wrong though, it tends to be really noticeable. It’s this last bit I’m attacking next.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

in PvP

Posted by: Flyphish.6398

Flyphish.6398

Add hard filters, it seems to be the only way to salvage this new combined queue. Like I suggested previously, teams consisting purely of solos and duos should not face 3’s, 4’s or 5’s.

in PvP

Flyphish.6398

The vast majority of matches are solos vs solos. When they aren’t, the groups are usually spread on both sides pretty evenly.

If the vast majority (i.e. >80% just guessing) are as you say then what is so “nuclear” about going to 100%, or hard filters? Queues are really very fast. Does eliminating outliers really add to queue times?

My perspective being that a queue time of 5 – 10 min is perfectly fine, other opinions will vary.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

If the vast majority (i.e. >80% just guessing) are as you say then what is so “nuclear” about going to 100%, or hard filters? Queues are really very fast. Does eliminating outliers really add to queue times?

My perspective being that a queue time of 5 – 10 min is perfectly fine, other opinions will vary.

For most players, the increase queue times will hardly be noticed. For the outliers, it will likely be several fold worse.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Flyphish.6398

For most players, the increase queue times will hardly be noticed. For the outliers, it will likely be several fold worse.

Fair enough, have you adjusted the MM in the past day or so? I will give it another go with an open mind (the first few days left a bad taste).

in PvP

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

To try to put this into perspective, earlier on my EU account I faced a premade team on voice comms with full solos on my side. The end result was something like 35 to 500, with all the solos on my side feeling miserable. After that, I faced the same team two more times in a row, with never more than 2 people grouped together on my side, and never managed to get even 100 points against them. You simply can’t win against a decent full premade with solo players. Not only do they have the advantage of voice comms (a huge advantage already), they also have complete control over their team composition, which solo players can no longer adapt and change due to receiving a loss/dishonor for swapping professions pre-match. All I’m asking for is for solo/duo players to never, or hardly ever, have to face full 5-man groups. Getting roflstomped 3 times in a row by premades does not leave anyone with the desire to pvp longer.

in PvP

Posted by: Tellerion.8102

Tellerion.8102

Matchmaking doesn’t seem improved because it’s simply not.

Come on guys. I’m still working on improving it based on real data. Help me out and give me specifics. Don’t make generalized statements like this unless you’ve got something to back them up.

We can improve things, we just need to work together.

Here you go, class stacking, much? (10 people solo queuing)

Attachments:

~~Ayeres~~

(edited by Tellerion.8102)

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

Wait, where was the player demand to remove solo queue? When people were asking for solo queue, almost half the threads touched on the subject. As far as I saw, the only major complaints about solo queue were about Skyhammer and Spirit Watch.

I think this new system can work, but I don’t buy that people were clamoring for the removal of solo queue.

Anyway, the rest of your post matches my experience. Most of my matches are reasonably close. But every few games, I get a total disaster.

To clarify, the player demand was more for an unranked arena where they could play with friends and other people casually in a way more structured way than hot-join. There was also valid criticism about the validity of the solo ladder. So we felt unranked and ranked was a better split than solo and team.

I think this was a good move, especially because I believe we can have solos and pre-mades in the same queue with out compromising. I wasn’t expecting to deliver perfection on day one, so will keep trying.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

(edited by Justin ODell.9517)

in PvP

Posted by: Aereniel.7356

Aereniel.7356

Wait, where was the player demand to remove solo queue? When people were asking for solo queue, almost half the threads touched on the subject. As far as I saw, the only major complaints about solo queue were about Skyhammer and Spirit Watch.

I think this new system can work, but I don’t buy that people were clamoring for the removal of solo queue.

Anyway, the rest of your post matches my experience. Most of my matches are reasonably close. But every few games, I get a total disaster.

To clarify, the player demand was more for an unranked arena where they could play with friends and other people casually in a way more structured way than hot-join. There was also valid criticism about the validity of the solo ladder. So we felt unranked and ranked was a better split than solo and team.

I think this was a good move, especially because I believe we can have solos and pre-mades in the same queue with out compromising. I wasn’t expecting to deliver perfection on day one, so will keep trying.

When people flamed the old soloQ system (and for good reason) they did so because of rampant 4v5s, a joke of a leaderboard and Skyhammer/Spirit Watch. I guess queue times could be quite horrendous at odd hours, but I’m pretty sure nobody asked to get wrecked by premades as a “solution” to the population problem.

One could also argue that the current iteration of the leaderboard is equally bad than the old one – it’s just a different kind of bad. We went from a no-permanent-decay exploit fest to a hardcore Chinese rice grinder. O.o

Been here since launch
Legend S1-S3 with 100% solo queue 100% conquest
Filthy casual, 6k sPvP games

in PvP

Posted by: mima.4126

mima.4126

i guess Anets ide behind the new system was ok. each side would ideally consist of the same mount of solos nd little premdes (like 2-2-1 vs 2-2-1). But my guess is, that the actual playerbase is not big enough to have evenedout mtches like this most of the time. so you get matches of 2-1-1-1 vs 1-1-1-1-1, where you have an uneven number of premade groups on each team. in my opinion the factor of having little group on your team or bigger group than there is on the other team is way bigger of factor of how the match will play out than the actual ranking or MMR of the players.
However the system tries to even out group size advantage of one team with MMR “advantage” of the other team is out of balance.

Bringing back Soloqueue/ Hardfilters would kind of fix this for the solo players. But then you would hve groups of 2,3 or 4 who will have to go to team queue to once again face teams with a bigger premade group. The most fair way would be a hardfilter tht would always pair exactly the same sizes of premade groups at all times. But then the waiting time would obviously get out of hand. So this is the compromise they`ve seem to come up with at this point: Everybody is in the same pool of players waiting for a match, solo, smll premades, full premades. it guarantees the shortest times of waiting for a match to pop. As a queing solo player though you will most likely be on the losing team this way more often than not. You’re already a “1” on your team that at best might consist of a 4-1. its not sure that theres also a “1” on the opposing team. if theres not, the balance is already off.

As a solo player i`d vote for bringing something back that guarantees only solos on each team, because every other formula to balance it out with MMR, Professions group sizes, whatever does not work. Sorry.

I hope pvp will improve very soon. I hate to say that I´m getting frustrated. Lets go A-Net. You`re premade. Chance is you will rock this 500:50

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

I say matchmaking is borke, eretime i qued, i keep getting paired with people know how to play conquest and always communicating in team chat. i don’t care who am i against with.
i mean wth, please fix i am suppose to paired with people whose good at swearing word and trashtalking my entire team for 15mins, let me paired with them again, bring back the old one. i dont mind being paired and against with 9people in teamspeak. please help i miss their swearing words and let me F$%#&k my asian mom again. thanks in advance.

People in this game when will you get satisfaction.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

(edited by Chapell.1346)

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

Hey, I get that you’re upset. Things don’t always go our way, but let’s take a breath and go over the issues.

You were never in a match with anyone rank 10, at least not recently. The lowest rank you’ve been paired with is rank 33. That rank 33 also has a pretty decent record, with an MMR that is above average.

The new dailies can make it hard to prevent multiple of the same profession. The new system was never designed to outright forbid it, only to work against it happening.

Just because your queue time is <2 minutes doesn’t mean everyone else’s is. A lot of pre-mades have to wait closer to 6-8 minutes for a match, sometimes longer. I’ve had a lot of top tier players come to me about the issue as well. They don’t like easy victories. :/

As for why teams can do so poorly, sometimes the styles and attitudes of players don’t always mesh. Sometimes you’re going against people who are well suited to counter your style. Sometimes you just get out played.

It sucks, but it happens. I get that it isn’t fun, and I’m working on improving things even more.

If you run into a particularly bad match, PM me the date, time, and which arena it was in and I’ll take a look.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: TainoFuerte.8136

TainoFuerte.8136

That’s because it’s worse. Maybe not the algorithms or whatever, but the mere fact that premades get to play with solos is so stupid I don’t even. We have a system where we can actually do less than before the update. Can’t even hotjoin while in queue. The class dailies aren’t directly matchmaking related but yet another example of stupid things done for no reason that can impact the game negatively.

In the end, Anet consistently makes horrendous decisions and this is yet another example of why nobody can be bothered to care about this game’s pvp, despite the fact that it has a great deal of potential. The management and decision making is horrible and I’m amazed people get paid to make these changes.

(edited by TainoFuerte.8136)

in PvP

Posted by: Wielder Of Magic.3950

Wielder Of Magic.3950

It is funny how everytime Anet claims to make something better they only make things worse.
Going from a ~50% winrate pre-patch to a 10% winrate AT BEST post-patch is complete bullkitten.
So is getting matched as solo player versus pre-mades with dragons, voice-chat or even tournament people, while your own team is as dumb as a rock.
After lots of games to give this new matchmaking an honest go I am done.
PvP is dead.
Gratz to anet for putting the final nail in the coffin.
Not only do they fail to adress the massive celestial engi+ele unbalance ( which will kill the game all by itself since the first balance patch, if they ever adress it is still months and months away), now they also screwed over the matchmaking AND merged solo and team pvp, something nobody asked for and should never have happened.

And now i read a few posts up that Anet has no plans of re-implementing solo queue?
Fine, you won’t see me in pvp anymore, nor will you see a massive amount of your casual to semi-pro population.
Soon the entire PvP population will be 50 people maximum.

It is always sad seeing a game die, but it is even more sad when you see the developers doing it themselves while refusing to see their screw ups.

in PvP

Posted by: Tellerion.8102

Tellerion.8102

Matchmaking doesn’t seem improved because it’s simply not.

Come on guys. I’m still working on improving it based on real data. Help me out and give me specifics. Don’t make generalized statements like this unless you’ve got something to back them up.

We can improve things, we just need to work together.

Another example from today (20.12.14 13:00 GMT)

- 5 people solo queuing versus full premade

Attachments:

~~Ayeres~~

in PvP

mima.4126

its not individual skills, its not certain classes, its not certain amulets, its not certain maps that ruin the fun. its not even frustrated players accusing each other in chat (this is bad, but its merely a result itself).

if you can not guarantee, that solo players will be in a match purely with other solo players, like apparently you cant using the current algorhithms or whatever, then the balance is off way from before the start of the match.

use hardfilters to protect the solo players from being “farmed”. im convinced that the majority of people losing ranked games are solo players. you`re data should back that up. otherwise id be very surprised.

in PvP

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

its not individual skills, its not certain classes, its not certain amulets, its not certain maps that ruin the fun. its not even frustrated players accusing each other in chat (this is bad, but its merely a result itself).

if you can not guarantee, that solo players will be in a match purely with other solo players, like apparently you cant using the current algorhithms or whatever, then the balance is off way from before the start of the match.

use hardfilters to protect the solo players from being “farmed”. im convinced that the majority of people losing ranked games are solo players. you`re data should back that up. otherwise id be very surprised.

Yeah… the least they could do is separate the soloers from anyone else who teams up… Even if just 2 people are in teamspeak with one another, it’s still a huge advantage over 5 strangers who can only type or ping the map to communicate.

in PvP

Posted by: kurtdg.2370

kurtdg.2370

Hey, just keeping playing.

Just keep playing. It’ll work itself out.

Rankings were screwed up before the revamp anyways.

Just keep playing. It’ll all work out soon.

Hell, just don’t stop playing.

in PvP

kurtdg.2370

Hey, I get that you’re upset. Things don’t always go our way, but let’s take a breath and go over the issues.

You were never in a match with anyone rank 10, at least not recently. The lowest rank you’ve been paired with is rank 33. That rank 33 also has a pretty decent record, with an MMR that is above average.

The new dailies can make it hard to prevent multiple of the same profession. The new system was never designed to outright forbid it, only to work against it happening.

Just because your queue time is <2 minutes doesn’t mean everyone else’s is. A lot of pre-mades have to wait closer to 6-8 minutes for a match, sometimes longer. I’ve had a lot of top tier players come to me about the issue as well. They don’t like easy victories. :/

As for why teams can do so poorly, sometimes the styles and attitudes of players don’t always mesh. Sometimes you’re going against people who are well suited to counter your style. Sometimes you just get out played.

It sucks, but it happens. I get that it isn’t fun, and I’m working on improving things even more.

If you run into a particularly bad match, PM me the date, time, and which arena it was in and I’ll take a look.

Sry for double post, but!

Rank doesn’t mean……to an end.

Good post though. I think you explained part of the problem very well.

I’ll be using all my low ranked pvp chars from now on.

in PvP

kurtdg.2370

Brackets could be a great idea btw. They could be very fun to watch, and great replay value on various channels.

in PvP

Posted by: Hatter.8159

Hatter.8159

Solo’s and premades can NEVER coexist lol. Well, I take that back. Random pick-up group Premades that aren’t using voice comms, and are essentially just five solo players, that’s really about the only way it’s not a total smash fest. But honestly, you’ve undoubtedly played other MMO’s. You have to be aware that in no game has Premades-vs-PuGs ever, ever worked. Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Age of Conan (It actually took the entire PvP Mini-Game Community dying off before they fixed it in this game), Warhammer Online, RIFT. . . all of them suffer(ed) from the same issue, and these are just the ones from my experience, I’m sure there are countless others. No matter how much any Dev Team may want to not force ridiculous wait times on people looking to play with friends, it’s really the only way to create some form of balance in structured pvp environments.

Simply put PuGs-vs-PuGs and Premades-vs-Premades is the only way to fix the issue.

in PvP

Posted by: Style.1092

Style.1092

You focusing too much on solo vs premade! It doesn’t matter for me whether i fight vs premade. I destroyed my guildies who were in one party while i was solo with solo players. What matters is players skills, that is why focus on equal mmr for every player.

Bring back account bound MMR! That was mistake to split mmr between professions.
Tell me that i’m wrong tell me that my mmr on every my class is almost the same (except guardian & thief).
Time will not solve that problem.

Cpt Nemo Kolkozy

in PvP

kurtdg.2370

It is what it is. If you want to divide the two…..premades and pugs, then do that.

Create bracket tournaments ANET. Allow all premades in them. Do it weekly/monthly. Script it, get it done.

Let anyone sign up their 5 team group. Do a big 1 day battle……..basically a cutoff. Those who are left bracket them against other teams. No sympathy for the can’t make it, or the don’t have time for it players. Be ready, or be gone.

Please try it, you’ll bring in real gamers, and make an esport out of the competitive part of this game.

Create a real weekly/monthly bracket contest, and reward the top groups with gems until it gets bigger.

Hell, I’ll watch every tourney so long as it’s viewable.

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

“Based on the data alone so far, I’d say we’re at least 90% toward where we all want to be. Just need to drive home that last bit. The vast majority of matches are solos vs solos. "Justin O’Dell

This does not seem to align with what players are saying on the forums. They are losing every game, in many cases.

Perhaps you could post the scores of all the matches every day.

The 500-10s would stand out and we could all see if “it’s just us”, or if the matcher is not really 90% of the way there yet.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

(edited by Laserbolt.6731)

in PvP

Hatter.8159

I’ve been up against the same 5-man premade like my first three or four games back in the Ranked Queue since the test season XD

in PvP

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Another day of “Leave Queue” button not working, and soloing (often 5 solos) into 5 man premades.

All I want for Christmas is for pre-December PvP back…All of it. The quality of Gw2 PvP has degraded so significantly since then that it just sickens me.

The ONLY people who seem to be happy are:

A) People who didn’t really PvP before and don’t know any better.
B) People who couldn’t achieve a certain rank before, and now can in the new “leaderboard” (congrats, clearly this means you’re improving!!!)
C) Mediocre players who are farming solos all day with their premade and finally feel like they are the best.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

in PvP

mima.4126

You focusing too much on solo vs premade! It doesn’t matter for me whether i fight vs premade. I destroyed my guildies who were in one party while i was solo with solo players. What matters is players skills, that is why focus on equal mmr for every player.

Bring back account bound MMR! That was mistake to split mmr between professions.
Tell me that i’m wrong tell me that my mmr on every my class is almost the same (except guardian & thief).
Time will not solve that problem.

i like to disagree. profession mmr is a problem as well. there are many. but 5 random players with their main class will lose to a off class premade any day. solos against premades is unbearable and never will be. its not about perfection within a day. solos mix with premade tho is 90% off rather than 90% perfect…

in PvP

Posted by: Echiel.8196

Echiel.8196

Justin What is the problem with returning back soloQ?
This “system” doesnt work at all… And it wont untill you will do this separatly… So anoyed by it… It goes from worst to dissaster… Please return soloQ… sPvP is unplayable right now… you are either very lucky if you go in alone… or you are placed against guys who knows whats team work against guys who are running 1 by 1 v 4… seriously how is that improved… they should be way lower rank and way lower in ladder so no way they should play with ppl like thet… seriously….

in PvP

Echiel.8196

And thanx for hopefully answering this post… Not like the last one… Absolutely ignored…

in PvP

Echiel.8196

Than why did you lock us in loby…. All the time wait few minutes… I did 50% of map on 7 characters waiting on q…. and I never ignored a game…. Whats the purpos of it because its not like you could do anything when the lovely window pops up for 20s than someone doesn’t accept and all over again.. and if accepts the next window pops up for 10s till it finaly chooses the map… than another 1 minute in map (wtf we already all had to accept the game)…. seriously I would say that PvP got absolutely boring… and I love pvp in gw2… just the waiting for matchmaking than waiting for game…. all in all 15 minutes of waiting for 15 minutes of play…. Lovely…

in PvP

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Just had a match of all solos vs. all solos (as far as I could tell anyway) in ranked.

Final score: 500-499.

A really fun match. Reminded me of my Solo Arena days. Such a good thing we got rid of Solo Arena, right? eyeroll

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

in PvP

Posted by: Fatallion.5389

Fatallion.5389

I’m curious how long Anet thinks people will tolerate this. Before this weeks updates games were “good”, without few ridiculous exceptions (3v5’s or solo queuers vs full premades) here and there it was otherwise fine. You had chances to win even if you had worse team comp, but still, I got to play on my skill level against enemies on same skill level. But now, on this week I’ve been only matched up against 2-5man premades with mostly full solo queuers. And what’s even worse is that there are always some top tier pvp players (not leaderboards but weeklycup winners etc) and I definetly don’t match up their skills with my random playing. And playing in games like that is not fun to anyone.

I don’t understand the reason for removing solo queue because playing against premades as solo queuer is kittened. But more I don’t understand how anet thinks that mmr is working. Because it definetly is not.

in PvP

Hatter.8159

Just had a match of all solos vs. all solos (as far as I could tell anyway) in ranked.

Final score: 500-499.

A really fun match. Reminded me of my Solo Arena days. Such a good thing we got rid of Solo Arena, right? eyeroll

Those are the dream matches lol. Win or lose super fun.

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

This patch was supposed to revive pvp, seems like it did the opposite.

Attachments:

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

I just don’t see how leagues will work when we have solo/team queue mixed?
Anyway, concerning the MM:

- I have pretty good matches all around, playing solo or with more.
- I’ve seen quite a bit 4v5 the past few days. I hope you can reactivate dishonor soon.
- However, about those DC’s. I, myself, dc’d two or three times since last patch which results in a -9 point loss (I think?). While I understand that you need to take firm action against 4v5 situations, there should be a solution in place that doesn’t hurt the teams MMR/LP wise but also doesn’t hurt (that much) the ‘honest’ DC’ers (= the one that reconnects asap) as GW2 tends to crash/DC you once in a while.

As for the ladder itself, it should be a mix of last and this version. Maybe punishing the losers a bit harsher (max 1+ gain if good performance?), might make the LB more skill-based.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

A lot of people keep stating rank doesn’t matter. I agree with that to an extent, since you could ( or still can? ) farm it easily enough in Hot Join in the past. Despite that rank shouldn’t be an indicator of “skill” because of the above, I still think that it should be a factor in match making if it’s not.

I say this because the r80’s I’ve seen in my matches, have straight wiped the floor with me. While they may not be top tier material to the whopping 10 people who actively compete in GW2 ( and all the forum pros ), there’s a significant difference in skill compared to a rank 35 like myself, simply due to the amount of experience they have from the amount of games required to even be rank 80.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

^ If they hotjoined farmed it to 80 then they would be worse than you. And I’m sure there are a few of those around.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

^ If they hotjoined farmed it to 80 then they would be worse than you. And I’m sure there are a few of those around.

A few, no doubt. But then there’s everyone else who’s at a minimum played over 1k matches for theirs.

in PvP

Posted by: Crell.6401

Crell.6401

Why were the PvP dailies were made profession specific? Could we swap them for something else to help with the stacking problem?

in PvP

Posted by: klarkc.3754

klarkc.3754

@Justin ODell.9517

Please see my game, the anti-profession stacking system is not working?

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

You know I actually don’t mind against losing to a good team because they simply outskill/outplay me. However it upsets me greatly when my teammates are incompetent zergs who do not know how and when to rotate or even cleave the downs. It is so pathetically sad that almost every match I want to tear my head off. Make a rotation tutorial and FORCE everyone to watch it without skipping just like living story so that at least people know what rotation is, or create some kind of survey/test before people enter ranked to see if they should or not. This is just unacceptable because my win/loss is based on how not stupid my teammates are rather than their skills.

Tour

in PvP

Posted by: Style.1092

Style.1092

@Justin ODell.9517

Please see my game, the anti-profession stacking system is not working?

It is working, system is just flooded by achivment guys. The question should be why is there achivment for x class win?
My guess is that it is just the only idea that they had to attract new players to pvp.

Cpt Nemo Kolkozy

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@Justin,

You are missing 3 key points here.

1. The old leaderboard was definitely bad. Unfortunately, the new one is even worse. It essentially measures who plays the most. That is not good at all. I used to be annoyed seeing people with win rates below 50% in the top 100. Now we see them throughout the board. This really needs a total revamp
2. You miss the point of why people didn’t like solo queue. The issue with it is that we were forced to play the really bad maps. Only a select few enjoy spirit watch/skyhammer. You are still forcing them on people in this new model. Even worse, you are forcing them on ranked queue except during this test ladder. Again, a bad decision.
3. An unranked arena WAS a good idea. I personally enjoy playing there as long as I don’t get spirit watch, skyhammer, or courtyard (alt-f4 is a good way to avoid those). I’m actually ok with the solo queue and team queue being merged as long as 85 percent of my matches are 5 pugs vs 5 pugs. I am NOT ok with it if 50% of the time I am playing people who have queued together.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

That is not good at all. I used to be annoyed seeing people with win rates below 50% in the top 100. Now we see them throughout the board. This really needs a total revamp

This is a beta ladder, so please take it with a grain of salt. You’re only seeing one part of our plans, and while we do appreciate feedback do please keep that in mind.

You miss the point of why people didn’t like solo queue.

No, I don’t think I missed the point. This is why I clarified, I wasn’t trying to say players hated solo arena (outside what you mentioned). Again, the reasons I mentioned, which at best, are only summary of the team’s reasons. The two big ones (in my mind) were that 1) people wanted a place to play casually with friends, but in a more structured environment than hotjoin. 2) Players had valid criticism of the solo ladder, which would be true for nearly any ladder that is solo in nature because Gw2 PvP is a team game. This is why we shifted away from solo/team to unranked/ranked.

An unranked arena WAS a good idea. I personally enjoy playing there as long as I don’t get spirit watch, skyhammer, or courtyard (alt-f4 is a good way to avoid those). I’m actually ok with the solo queue and team queue being merged as long as 85 percent of my matches are 5 pugs vs 5 pugs. I am NOT ok with it if 50% of the time I am playing people who have queued together.

I’m glad you feel it was a good choice. I’m sorry you’re getting maps you don’t like, but I am happy that people that enjoy those maps still get to play them, all be it rarely. That is not cool that you’re ditching your team just because you didn’t get the map you wanted.

I can look up your account if you want, though most the time people end up surprised the data doesn’t match their perceptions. I really think we should start showing more data to help with this, but I understand the reasons we don’t.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Sebastian.4610

Sebastian.4610

That is not good at all. I used to be annoyed seeing people with win rates below 50% in the top 100. Now we see them throughout the board. This really needs a total revamp

This is a beta ladder, so please take it with a grain of salt. You’re only seeing one part of our plans, and while we do appreciate feedback do please keep that in mind.

You miss the point of why people didn’t like solo queue.

No, I don’t think I missed the point. This is why I clarified, I wasn’t trying to say players hated solo arena (outside what you mentioned). Again, the reasons I mentioned, which at best, are only summary of the team’s reasons. The two big ones (in my mind) were that 1) people wanted a place to play casually with friends, but in a more structured environment than hotjoin. 2) Players had valid criticism of the solo ladder, which would be true for nearly any ladder that is solo in nature because Gw2 PvP is a team game. This is why we shifted away from solo/team to unranked/ranked.

An unranked arena WAS a good idea. I personally enjoy playing there as long as I don’t get spirit watch, skyhammer, or courtyard (alt-f4 is a good way to avoid those). I’m actually ok with the solo queue and team queue being merged as long as 85 percent of my matches are 5 pugs vs 5 pugs. I am NOT ok with it if 50% of the time I am playing people who have queued together.

I’m glad you feel it was a good choice. I’m sorry you’re getting maps you don’t like, but I am happy that people that enjoy those maps still get to play them, all be it rarely. That is not cool that you’re ditching your team just because you didn’t get the map you wanted.

I can look up your account if you want, though most the time people end up surprised the data doesn’t match their perceptions. I really think we should start showing more data to help with this, but I understand the reasons we don’t.

So you directly punish players who enjoyed solo by putting them in a team queue environment. As a solo player i should NEVER face a premade team even as small as 2 players queued together.

I have not had the fun i used to have in solo queue replicated at all. The match making doesnt work, ive been getting players that have no idea what they are doing, in solo queue i used to get competent players besides the random player with inflated MMR due to being new. Leaderboards are now for players with more time then skill, grind games get on top. And then it comes down to being paired with and against premades of any size 2,3,4,5 it doesnt matter it changed how the game is played compared to solo queue.

You should not have to make a premade team to enjoy the pvp in this game. Forcing people to premade to enjoy the game is wrong, we played solo and enjoyed it for a reason. You say its a team focused game, well forcing us just isn’t the way.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

So you directly punish players who enjoyed solo by putting them in a team queue environment. As a solo player i should NEVER face a premade team even as small as 2 players queued together.

No, our intent is not to punish anyone, directly or otherwise. Contrary to opinion of some, I do believe solos can enjoy and have a competitive match against pre-mades. While watching the behind the scene data, I have often seen solos take out a full pre-made team, but far too often than we prefer it is the other way around so we will, of course, try to avoid them as much as possible

You should not have to make a premade team to enjoy the pvp in this game. Forcing people to premade to enjoy the game is wrong, we played solo and enjoyed it for a reason. You say its a team focused game, well forcing us just isn’t the way.

We do not intent to force anyone to do anything they do not like. We are aware of opinions like yours, and we will continue to do more to improve the situation.

Might I ask why you prefer to solo instead of find a team? Is it that you don’t like the time and effort involved with finding other people? Is it the casual aspect of being non-committed to others?

Also, why do you not enjoy being put against pre-mades? Is it that they have an advantage with communication?

I only ask because there are many ways we can improve the situation, beyond just preventing the match ups entirely.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: CptCuddles.8912

CptCuddles.8912

No, our intent is not to punish anyone, directly or otherwise. Contrary to opinion of some, I do believe solos can enjoy and have a competitive match against pre-mades. While watching the behind the scene data, I have often seen solos take out a full pre-made team, but far too often than we prefer it is the other way around so we will, of course, try to avoid them as much as possible

We do not intent to force anyone to do anything they do not like. We are aware of opinions like yours, and we will continue to do more to improve the situation.

Might I ask why you prefer to solo instead of find a team? Is it that you don’t like the time and effort involved with finding other people? Is it the casual aspect of being non-committed to others?

Also, why do you not enjoy being put against pre-mades? Is it that they have an advantage with communication?

I only ask because there are many ways we can improve the situation, beyond just preventing the match ups entirely.

It’s not just the communication that helps pre-mades. You need to also realize that it is a group of players selected because they are at least somewhat skills versus a pub of players at variable skill levels. Pre-mades are also more willing to cooperate whereas pub groups tend to resort to complaining and insisting that each individual player is in fact the most skilled and has the best plan.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

It’s not just the communication that helps pre-mades. You need to also realize that it is a group of players selected because they are at least somewhat skills versus a pub of players at variable skill levels. Pre-mades are also more willing to cooperate whereas pub groups tend to resort to complaining and insisting that each individual player is in fact the most skilled and has the best plan.

I agree, I’d like to see what more we can do to encourage pubs to cooperate more. On my wish list is a team finder that analyzes all your games and suggests other pub players to potentially team with based on your past history with them.

Another idea is letting you keep your pub team through the next queue if you won.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

r idea is letting you keep your pub team through the next queue if you won.

this was from gw1 iirc and was really awesome, should do this

gerdian