Profession Locking Poll - February 16th 2017

in PvP

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

I voted YES, but I also agree that hiding enemy team comp would probably better solve the problem they’re attempting to solve. (KISS principle!)

I do think you should make up your mind about what profession to play ahead of time, but I agree that the matchmaking system, as we know it at least, has a quite terrible track record of creating decently competitive comp match-ups.

Going with class locking basically requires a no stacking rule, or you’re only left off worse then it is now. So yes, hiding enemy comp is the much simpler and more effective solution.

This is a great alternative.

I voted yes, but this solution of hiding enemy team composition is better.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Hiding classes won’t solve the issue that some classes are overplayed. 5 DH is 5 DH, hidden or not.

Just needs better matchmaking to not allow that sort of thing.

in PvP

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

Too little, too late. We should have it all by now: no queue swap + no profession stacking + hidden enemy players at start + profession based MMR for each player + new maps with new game modes + exploit mitigation + easy build swap before match + many more.

But all those topics were so much discussed and so much proposed in the last 5 years, that I don’t even know why I even bother writing or voting anymore. I think it’s only my fellow mates, still keeping me in the PvP area.

in PvP

Posted by: AZ MILITIA.3942

AZ MILITIA.3942

I vote yes nothing worse then getting 3 thievs on same team.

in PvP

Posted by: Ocosh.5843

Ocosh.5843

I vote yes nothing worse then getting 3 thievs on same team.

Then maybe the explanation wasn’t clear to you. With the proposed change, the system would try to avoid 3 thieves on the same team, but sometimes it would still happen, and then you’d be stuck with it.

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

Looks like a lot of people (me included) are having problem with class stacking while having difficulties on their free will to set up builds and possibilities for holding nodes,since communicating with your fellow enemies and teammates required mind control before the game begin to ensure possible tactics and build setup that this crappy game is good at.

Though still on neutral, i would love to see this story unfold whatever the outcome may be.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Too little, too late. We should have it all by now: no queue swap + no profession stacking + hidden enemy players at start + profession based MMR for each player + new maps with new game modes + exploit mitigation + easy build swap before match + many more.

But all those topics were so much discussed and so much proposed in the last 5 years, that I don’t even know why I even bother writing or voting anymore. I think it’s only my fellow mates, still keeping me in the PvP area.

thanx for sum…. Vote yes to reach it …

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I’m really not good at DH, War etc. I main Mesmer because I like it and it’s the class I do best with.

Switching classes to counter a comp would be counterproductive for me. Here again, class locking would permit profession MMR. Then I could switch to another class without screwing over my team.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Nova.3817

Nova.3817

Hiding classes won’t solve the issue that some classes are overplayed. 5 DH is 5 DH, hidden or not.

thats not a matchmaking issue that’s a balancing issue…..

this whole ordeal is to improve overall matchmaking…… hiding a comp would not allow for players to see things and counter comp… of course that does take some skill out of the equation for luck instead but i still would like to see that change or the no change once you que…. i mean having to actually run a off meta build to work bc you cant simply char swap would be incredible for build diversity!!

although i do agree with previous comments that this change would need to happen in tandem with build templates to make swapping builds on a single char very painless it should be super easy to implement in pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Hello everyone.

For everyone that voted no, I am posting for you exactly what you voted for. Alot of people blindly voted no (cause others told them to and said arena net was trying to get away with something) thinking that it would still allow them to switch builds, during a match. If you read below there will be no switching of anything once the second timer goes off and everyone is pulled back to home base. Your no vote only will allow you to switch prior to the second warning bell.

“No
No, I want to be able to switch professions up until the round begins.

Players can adjust team composition during match warmup."

Voting YES would of allowed them to use class distinctions in MMR and even create a leaderboard (which would of been pretty cool) tracking people via class! It would of opened up an array of possibilities. No matter what you do you aren’t switching during a match anymore you can vote No or Yes all day. Thats what I think alot of people don’t realize.

I had a guy argue with me that alot of times you get into a match and realize you need a DPS instead of a Tank build so he had characters of the same class set up so he could easily switch. He didnt know what to say when I pointed out to him that during a match regardless of what he chose, he wasn’t switching to anything else.

In order to improve our match making system we needed this and I am pretty saddened to see that people really don’t understand what we are votiing on and selfishly and foolishly think they can fix the match making system themselves instead of working with the devs to improve it.

You may think your stellar at PvP and you may think that you switching classes fixes things because your MMR is high. But more and more people will leave as things continue to stay the way they are, and you will fine soon, you will be playing with no one.

You can cry all day now, when you get stacks of the same class on your team because there is no reason if they can’t lock class switching for them to fix stacking in the matchmaker.

in PvP

Posted by: pikkunana.7495

pikkunana.7495

I don’t understand how the matchmaking would be more “accurate” if yes win; it will be just profession based instead of account based, or am I missing something?

The idea is that, just because you are a great mesmer, doesn’t mean you know how to play a revenant well. If the professions were locked we could place you into a match that reflects your skill with that class.

Then why not lock ranks by profession/character and not account base…?
Then each class could only play match that relects skills with that class…
example ranger rank4, mesmer rank10, guardian rank4.
Then you could swich class between matched with same rank class. rank4 ranger and guardian. But not mesmer.
There would be exp. rank button bar. If u unlock that rank match u can swich to that class.

I say NO to Profession Locking. I don’t like class stacking. If see many Dragonhunters in in team I would swich other classes. When playing I like to watch team combo of ally and enemy. Its nice to apple to swich between matched to make team more balance. Or swich class to counter enemy class. Or support more team. Its fun part about spvp that u can swich builds and classes. Or stay in same class but only difference builds. Sometimes you get lucky with balance team or your team mate swiched class. So theres no need to swich class between match. I had this ranger harrasted my rev on half match after swich other class that ranger left me alone.

But I say Yes profession lock before 10second match end swich to class that you don’t actually play in the match and get wins for AP. Not like that system abuse. Its like cheating.

I like gw2 because its difference from other games. Please keep it gw2 game~

(edited by pikkunana.7495)

in PvP

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

Hello everyone.

For everyone that voted no, I am posting for you exactly what you voted for. Alot of people blindly voted no (cause others told them to and said arena net was trying to get away with something) thinking that it would still allow them to switch builds, during a match. If you read below there will be no switching of anything once the second timer goes off and everyone is pulled back to home base. Your no vote only will allow you to switch prior to the second warning bell.

“No
No, I want to be able to switch professions up until the round begins.

Players can adjust team composition during match warmup."

Voting YES would of allowed them to use class distinctions in MMR and even create a leaderboard (which would of been pretty cool) tracking people via class! It would of opened up an array of possibilities. No matter what you do you aren’t switching during a match anymore you can vote No or Yes all day. Thats what I think alot of people don’t realize.

I had a guy argue with me that alot of times you get into a match and realize you need a DPS instead of a Tank build so he had characters of the same class set up so he could easily switch. He didnt know what to say when I pointed out to him that during a match regardless of what he chose, he wasn’t switching to anything else.

In order to improve our match making system we needed this and I am pretty saddened to see that people really don’t understand what we are votiing on and selfishly and foolishly think they can fix the match making system themselves instead of working with the devs to improve it.

You may think your stellar at PvP and you may think that you switching classes fixes things because your MMR is high. But more and more people will leave as things continue to stay the way they are, and you will fine soon, you will be playing with no one.

You can cry all day now, when you get stacks of the same class on your team because there is no reason if they can’t lock class switching for them to fix stacking in the matchmaker.

Hard to take such argument as valid when in, the end, you start to throw insults just because people have different opinion from you.

Anyway, want to know why I voted no? Simply because Guild Wars builds are made of rock, paper and scissors. How can you state that the matchmaking will be better when the builds won’t be taken into account?

It will continue to be a blow out because if you see the other team with a comp which completely shuts your down, you won’t be able to do absolutely anything besides feeding and keep asking for Anet to implement the surrender option.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

in PvP

Posted by: ZombieLeach.5862

ZombieLeach.5862

Why would anyone want matchmaking to choose their team comp?

in PvP

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Pretty much. It’s fascinating to me to see how the community is almost 50/50 on this thing. I do understand the reasons why some are voting yes but the consequences of a yes vote far outweigh any kind of gain we’d get from a no vote at this point in time.

But I also understand this decision is based heavily on one’s perspective.

Case in point. I main mesmer but I’m a multi-classer. If a yes vote prevailed, I would likely NEVER queue on my main. Reason being the good chance at least one of my ever so popular hard counter DH or power warrior would be on the other team. If there are two DH on the other side, I’m going to have a rough time and from what I’ve seen from past seasons and the current MM code, season 6 isn’t going to change this.

Why would I want to subject myself to playing the odds like that? Players who are playing to win (which I assume most of us are) are not going to willfully choose to subject themselves to these restrictions.

I’d sooo much rather have the opportunity to switch to something that might help my team in that situation and not risk losing based on the initial profession I chose to queue with.

So I can see how folks that don’t multi-class wouldn’t mind profession locking and can also easily understand folks like myself who would rather maintain some level of control over their team comp.

Now, if class stacking was enforced (bleh “soft limit”), I wouldn’t mind profession locking nearly as much. Sadly, this isn’t going to be the case for season 6, so a no vote makes the most sense for me, and this is why so many others are voting the same.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

Pretty much. It’s fascinating to me to see how the community is almost 50/50 on this thing. I do understand the reasons why some are voting yes but the consequences of a yes vote far outweigh any kind of gain we’d get from a no vote at this point in time.

But I also understand this decision is based heavily on one’s perspective.

Case in point. I main mesmer but I’m a multi-classer. If a yes vote prevailed, I would likely NEVER queue on my main. Reason being the good chance at least one of my ever so popular hard counter DH or power warrior would be on the other team. If there are two DH on the other side, I’m going to have a rough time and from what I’ve seen from past seasons and the current MM code, season 6 isn’t going to change this.

Why would I want to subject myself to playing the odds like that? Players who are playing to win (which I assume most of us are) are not going to willfully choose to subject themselves to these restrictions.

I’d sooo much rather have the opportunity to switch to something that might help my team in that situation and not risk losing based on the initial profession I chose to queue with.

So I can see how folks that don’t multi-class wouldn’t mind profession locking and can also easily understand folks like myself who would rather maintain some level of control over their team comp.

Now, if class stacking was enforced (bleh “soft limit”), I wouldn’t mind profession locking nearly as much. Sadly, this isn’t going to be the case for season 6, so a no vote makes the most sense for me, and this is why so many others are voting the same.

OMG THANK YOU!!!!! This is literally trump v hilary, and anet is the Gov!!! The “Yes Men” (Trump) want “Change” the sky is the limit! While the “No Men” are looking at the fine print and trying to REDUCE the level of negative control Anet (the Gov.) has spanning from matchmaking to class balance; so that players (the population at large) can have some form of positive control (swapping classes so you aren’t hard-countered by 3+ people on the enemy team) making matches more democratic overall.

Personally, I take it a bit further in regards to the neglected balance of classes, that WILL be hyper-focused on, after the first night of people queuing and still going up against stacked teams of the ever feared War/DH. There is NO reason, currently, to believe that there will be an enforcement on 1 class per team, especially if you are character (or will we be allowed to change to a different character of the same class Anet?) locked upon queuing; which is because, the classes are NOT balanced with this kind of system in mind. Not only that, but, there will be 1 balance patch before S6, if I’m not mistaken; which leaves a truly monumental task for the Balance Team to accomplish in a record time. I’m not sold, and I will not be playing in S6.

in PvP

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

NO favors people comfortable and ready with multiple characters and enables toxicity towards players who don’t.

YES favors everyone.

If the situation is really

• people who don’t multi-class voted yes
  • people who do multi-class voted no

then I believe the only good answer is “no”. Because if you don’t multi-class, your MMR is already your main class MMR and this will change nothing for you.

Because “no” does favor even non multi-classer. If you only play thief, and you end up on a team with one or more other thieves, you know you’re up for a loss. But if THEY multi-class and swap to something more balanced, then you can continue playing your main and still have a chance to win.

As I said earlier, class locking will NOT make a better matchmaking, on the contrary! The individual MMR will be more accurate, but the team with the best comp will have so much more chance to win. Currently, class swapping allows to even a bit the comp advantage, remove this and you are up for a RESULT COMPLETELY DECIDED BY RANDOM FACTORS: namely the team comp you end up with.

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

or you know your class and modify builds. I did see stacked necro + war, swaped rune and destroyed them yesterday. Won´t be optimal in many cases but will even out and show how good you are with a class in the long run.
As already written, people swap to counter oposing classes and they do it in the last seconds waiting what oponents do even stacking classes it it´s a benefit. SSD and not Q ing i nthe mists helps ….. this is bad stuff. Locking will be a change that will help to improve the system.

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in PvP

Acrisor.8097

Yeah. Let’s all vote NO. We already have a stone over this grave because of SoloQ voting in the past. Now all we need to do is build a fence around this grave, to make sure nobody else will dig here in the future and everything will remain as it is.

When you will leave the game (because if I leave, so will others and so will you), ask yourself what you did to change or improve it.

in PvP

Posted by: fumcheg.1936

fumcheg.1936

Voted no ofc.

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

Well for me a no vote is a vote for no change full of mistrust that ANet can use it to improve the game and propably selfish from multiclassers that use it to their advantage but actually being a minority.
I understand the fear to lose some control and of course players want to use advantages. I somtimes also swap but not due to class stacking. It´s mainly done to counter oposing classes even when stacking on the own side. It´s very simple. Swap close to the start to get an advantage. It´s basically exploiting the system and voting for keeping that….

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in PvP

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

or you know your class and modify builds. I did see stacked necro + war, swaped rune and destroyed them yesterday. Won´t be optimal in many cases but will even out and show how good you are with a class in the long run.
As already written, people swap to counter oposing classes and they do it in the last seconds waiting what oponents do even stacking classes it it´s a benefit. SSD and not Q ing i nthe mists helps ….. this is bad stuff. Locking will be a change that will help to improve the system.

I agree and that is why in my initial post a few pages ago I wrote that the “yes” could only be of value if we have build templates for quick build swap and improved build diversity.

Yeah. Let’s all vote NO. We already have a stone over this grave because of SoloQ voting in the past. Now all we need to do is build a fence around this grave, to make sure nobody else will dig here in the future and everything will remain as it is.

When you will leave the game (because if I leave, so will others and so will you), ask yourself what you did to change or improve it.

But what exactly would this improve? How would that be any step closer to “saving” the game that you apparently consider dead? The only argument I see is that it will create a more realistic rating, which is wrong because it neglects comp synergy. I main mesmer, and I am a much stronger mesmer than elementalist, yet when I switch to elementalist it is because I know it increases my chances. So the class MMR would tell me “you just decreased your chances” while I actually increased them.

I would love to use class rating because whenever I feel for using one of my weakest class, I would like to be on an appropriate MMR so that the game feels fun and that I don’t feel like reducing my team chances. But when I want to play competitively, I don’t want to be locked into a game which I know will be a loosing game from the start.

Maybe a compromised solution would be:

• in unranked, have class locking
  • in ranked allow class swap

or another compromise will be that when you queue, you can click on the checkbox “use my class MMR” which locks you into your class but gives you the accurate rating you want. This does not mean split queues, every game would have some people who are locked and some who are not.

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Reminds me of that scene in Alice in Wonderland where the mad hatter exclaims “CHANGE PLACES!!” causing everyone to run around and change places for no reason at all causing a mess.

Change for the sake of change is silly especially when there are well thought out articulated arguements against said change.

This change could be good but it could also be very very bad causing more people to leave if not accompanied by proper balancing where complete hard counters don’t exist and where roles do not have such a major apex class. There’s also a few classes that get a lot stronger when properly supported, prime example being necro, without support they have a bad time.

If yes wins you will find people run more self sustaining builds and classes as they don’t want to roll the dice on if they get a support or not.

in PvP

Posted by: Grant Gertz

Previous

Grant Gertz

Producer: WvW, PvP, and Fractals

The poll has ended! Profession locking did not pass. The final result was 53% No and 47% Yes. Thank you for your participation.

in PvP

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

Let the sub-optimal match making continue….. Sigh.

The things you could have done if you’d known what profession someone was playing and how they did on certain maps with that profession and against certain compositions and with certain compositions.

I think the problem is noone trusts the algorithm writers for match making to have actually made good use of the data, so there’s no point in choosing to restrict ourselves as the sacrifice would not have resulted in the potential benefit actually manifesting. Last season was kind of disastrous.

in PvP

Posted by: Conflict Ltd.4130

Conflict Ltd.4130

I’d probably vote yes if we had working Build Templates that we could use in the time before the game starts (after the teams load into the map).
Having the ability to build differently on the same profession could work really well with this implemented.

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

This vote did go for No because people don´t trust Anet doing it better …. So they voted to not try to do it better ….

in PvP

Acrisor.8097

ArenaNet should ask their developers why people do not trust them, and voted NO, because this is the reason why they voted like this: mistrust.

in PvP

Posted by: anTastico.9084

anTastico.9084

I don’t check the forums everyday these days, so I missed this poll.

Things like this should be sent via mail in game too tbh.

in PvP

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

As far as I know, this was about swapping characters while the game is already going on, so no matchmaking improvements could be made here, as you could simply swap before the game actually starts. This is GOOD, because you either let players swap whenever they want, or you don’t let them swap at all.

in PvP

Posted by: Columbo.5924

Columbo.5924

This poll is FAKE NEWS!! ;D

Abaddon’s Mouth (DE)

in PvP

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Wait, there was a poll?

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

in PvP

Posted by: Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

id have to agree on the reason most chose what they chose as far as voting goes. REOPEN this poll in the future AFTER we allow build templates. after all we already have the ability to make said build templates because of the guy in silverwastes that will load a preloaded build for you. so…build templates THEN reopen this poll. i insist.

in PvP

Posted by: Alphabet.7392

Alphabet.7392

Thank you to those who actually had a brain and voted NO.

NO ONE stacks dragonhunters/warriors/whatever the kitten in any DECENT division because it is SUBPAR and if you have trouble winning against teams with 2-3 dragonhunters then you shouldn’t have even been allowed to vote on the poll. I’m looking at you, bronze quacks.

This change would’ve completely BONED plat+ because people there are actually COMPETENT enough to play multiple classes to balance out the team comp.

Why the hell should I be forced to lose if the matchmaker decides to match me, as a thief, with 2 other thieves? Why shouldn’t I be able to switch?

Why SHOULDN’T I have an advantage over the people who can only play one class? coughbronzequeencough

HoD
Lyyneheim

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

NO ONE stacks dragonhunters/warriors/whatever the kitten in any DECENT division because it is SUBPAR and if you have trouble winning against teams with 2-3 dragonhunters then you shouldn’t have even been allowed to vote on the poll. I’m looking at you, bronze quacks.

This change would’ve completely BONED plat+ because people there are actually COMPETENT enough to play multiple classes to balance out the team comp.

Why the hell should I be forced to lose if the matchmaker decides to match me, as a thief, with 2 other thieves? Why shouldn’t I be able to switch?

Why SHOULDN’T I have an advantage over the people who can only play one class? coughbronzequeencough

I voted Yes because I wanted an additional ladder that lists professions only. Let’s see who is actually best in their profession.

I voted Yes because Anet flat out said they’ll make Matchmaking a lot smarter because it will actually see professions in the player pool it draws from, rather than just a number on a spread sheet. This also means a more accurate MMR per class… as each class will literally have their own rating.

Lastly, I voted Yes because I expect Anet to later fix the obvious issues you just pointed out. These “Yes” are a whole lot more than your one “No”.

Just wish we had more smart people voting here.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Ruru.1302

Ruru.1302

I voted Yes because I wanted an additional ladder that lists professions only. Let’s see who is actually best in their profession.

I voted Yes because Anet flat out said they’ll make Matchmaking a lot smarter because it will actually see professions in the player pool it draws from, rather than just a number on a spread sheet. This also means a more accurate MMR per class… as each class will literally have their own rating.

Lastly, I voted Yes because I expect Anet to later fix the obvious issues you just pointed out. These “Yes” are a whole lot more than your one “No”.

I voted no. I don’t care for a class based leaderboard. I also don’t in ANet’s ability to create such an algorithm that you describe in your second point. I also don’t believe ANet will fix those issues he mentioned. After all, with what we’ve been presented with so far, there’s no evidence to suggest so. In addition, should they succeed in creating this algorithm, the upper echelons of ranked simply does not have the population to support it. ANet has said a lot of things and have not delivered.

So, I did the only logical thing and voted no. The matchmaking system was as fair as it got in season 5. I didn’t see people stacking teams. I rarely saw people swapping to alts for profession achievements in the end. If they did, it was when the game was surely unwinnable for the enemy team. If I was queued into a team with 3+ of a certain profession, the vast majority of the time 2 of them swapped to another class they were proficient with. Perhaps it’s because I usually only played during primetime. But, the system, in this sense, more or less worked.

It seems to me that the people that voted for no are the realists and the yes votes are hopeful for the almost impossible. So yes, I do wish we had more smart people voting here. I do wish we had more people vote after taking into consideration the empirical evidence that has been presented to them over the years.

In fact, as for your second point, regarding class-based MMR, I really don’t see the need. Someone who can competently play multiple classes should be rightfully ranked higher than someone who can only play one class, even if the skill is comparable. If they want to learn, then they will play unranked, or they will take the MMR hit.

mag
[Mada] Apocryfia

(edited by Ruru.1302)

in PvP

Posted by: aerodynamique.5267

aerodynamique.5267

I voted no. I don’t care for a class based leaderboard. I also don’t in ANet’s ability to create such an algorithm that you describe in your second point. I also don’t believe ANet will fix those issues he mentioned. After all, with what we’ve been presented with so far, there’s no evidence to suggest so. In addition, should they succeed in creating this algorithm, the upper echelons of ranked simply does not have the population to support it. ANet has said a lot of things and have not delivered.

So, I did the only logical thing and voted no. The matchmaking system was as fair as it got in season 5. I didn’t see people stacking teams. I rarely saw people swapping to alts for profession achievements in the end. If they did, it was when the game was surely unwinnable for the enemy team. If I was queued into a team with 3+ of a certain profession, the vast majority of the time 2 of them swapped to another class they were proficient with. Perhaps it’s because I usually only played during primetime. But, the system, in this sense, more or less worked.

It seems to me that the people that voted for no are the realists and the yes votes are hopeful for the almost impossible. So yes, I do wish we had more smart people voting here. I do wish we had more people vote after taking into consideration the empirical evidence that has been presented to them over the years.

In fact, as for your second point, regarding class-based MMR, I really don’t see the need. Someone who can competently play multiple classes should be rightfully ranked higher than someone who can only play one class, even if the skill is comparable. If they want to learn, then they will play unranked, or they will take the MMR hit.

+1 Well said TBH. It’s not really out of any lack of faith to Anet, it’s just that it’s impossible off of principle. Maybe if they had some sort of checkbox that could let you queue as, like, a DPS, or as a support, that could work, but then they would have to artificially determine some sort of 2dps/3support or 3support/2dps meta, excluding the fact that self-sustaining bunkers like Warriors exist, a class that fulfills a different role depending on who you actually ask.

This wasn’t really a good idea I think. Glad it didn’t pass.

competitive ele guyyyy

in PvP

Posted by: Elegie.3620

Elegie.3620

Maybe if they had some sort of checkbox that could let you queue as, like, a DPS, or as a support, that could work, but then they would have to artificially determine some sort of 2dps/3support or 3support/2dps meta, excluding the fact that self-sustaining bunkers like Warriors exist, a class that fulfills a different role depending on who you actually ask.

I agree that role is what matters most. However, while I’d prefer that players themselves state which role they’re queueing for, I suppose that beyond classes, ANet could simply have used the equipped amulets to further balance the matches.

Depending on what amulets are available in the pool of players currently queuing, they would not seek to reach some artificial meta, but rather seek to balance the number of DPS/support amulets across teams (possibly even taking into account other build parameters, e.g. condition vs. power).

That would not be difficult at all from an algorithmic point of view (which is why they proposed it), and this would definitely lead to a better matchmaking – but to longer queues as well, depending on the size of the pool.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Fair points, one that i’m not about to disagree with. Especially when we know that implementing any type of “update” to matchmaking means waiting 6 months for results… Anyone who endured the leaderboards in 2015 knows what i’m talking about.

This last paragraph I would debate though because of the genre this game type is. You can look at any fantasy-based mmorpg game and you’ll notice that players aren’t keen on mastering every class. You’d be surprised how many players simply don’t want to learn a second toon. It’s either down right boring to do so, or they simply don’t want to go through all the hassle of learning something else. It’s not a matter of whether or not they’re “skillful”, it’s just isn’t simple. Like Overwatch, I learned every class within the first couple of weeks. In less than a month I darn nearly mastered every class.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

A no benefits about 5% of the players. The top piece of the pyramide. And it hinders progress due to not trusting that Anet can make a better MM system.

in PvP

Posted by: Ruru.1302

Ruru.1302

A no benefits about 5% of the players. The top piece of the pyramide. And it hinders progress due to not trusting that Anet can make a better MM system.

Is that the no-voters fault or ANet’s?

Additionally, not only the right end of the bell curve can play multiple classes. Do you really want MM to choose your team comp for you?

mag
[Mada] Apocryfia

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

Well i understand the no votes, but i always look forward and think yes would be better or at least could, and thats what matters for me. I would try even if Anet might fail.
And yes if the MM makes the team composition it would be ok. Don´t think it will create worse matches. It would be diffrent and you adapt build not class. Better MM maybe worse team comps for “Swapers”.

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

I like the idea of profession specific leaderboards, but will they also use build to decide your ranking in the new board? There is a difference in impact and role between say a condi / power thief, similarly with mesmer, dh, war, etc. Would you climb more places for using a non meta build? These are the kind of things to keep in mind when Anet presents you with these kinds of options.

While Anet may believe that adding professions into the algorithm will “smarten” it, I fimrly do not believe so, I believe that had NA had an actual population, S5 MM was about as right as they were going to get it, as demonstrated by EU. I believe that confounding the mm to account for professions would cloud the waters. It would put too much stress in too many directions, but I could be wrong; I just have the past to go on. The disparity between classes regarding balance would only serve to exemplify the issue. That in turn would also tie in to what I said in paragraph 1.

I would expect Anet to fix the issues you talked about as well, but I’d expect them to take far too long, and be too incomplete, if/when the changes actually came. Voting yes subjects yourself to the bare bones of the new system, with all its heaps of problems, right from the get go. At least voting no gives Anet the MUCH needed time to correct those issues BEFORE putting the new system into live play.

in PvP

Posted by: Om Im.7863

Om Im.7863

Can now the next poll question we have be whether no class stacking should be enforced like for the last couple of ESL events? You know, the obvious mandatory follow-up to the outcomes of this poll and something actually in touch with the reality of PvP.