Proposed Changes for Engineer Turrets

in PvP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Funny, history of turrets make a full circle, at start of the game almost no one used them cause of the humongus hit box, then they made them usable by fixing this and now again almost no one will ever use them due to a fact that they now die extremly fast, as if they didnt die fast enough before.

At some point they were “normal” more precisely when the new turrets trait came out it was pretty good on both sides except for knockback radius.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Thank god it’s finally in. Time for the turret engi players to learn how to play the game.

Or they can just play shoutbow, longbow ranger, medi guard, etc and still not need to learn.

in PvP

Posted by: Cold Hearted Person.6154

Cold Hearted Person.6154

Actualy, i have to ask a serious question, when did turrets existed as turrets in gw2? because as far as i remember the only thing the turrets existed as was a bomb used for CC or a utility skill that trigered traits.

Now, i played lots of mmo in my life and i mean the old point&click type, and in every single one of them turrets were an actual turrets, you know a thingy that you set up on the ground and leave it ther for it to do its work, and it actualy could take a few hits before it went down, and you know it actualy worked, but in gw2….i just dont know if we can actualy call them turrets anymore.

in PvP

Posted by: illiliiilili.1579

illiliiilili.1579

Who cares if it was killed off. As someone who has played aince release I have never seen nor heard of people having so little fun as when they played against turrets.

Orly? I think there’s a lot more hate for thieves than turrets (and 100x more thieves than turret engies). Nothing like being immobilized from stealth and killed before you’re even allowed to use a skill.

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

I don’t know why, but it really upsets me seeing some of these people defending turrets.

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Who cares if it was killed off. As someone who has played aince release I have never seen nor heard of people having so little fun as when they played against turrets.

Orly? I think there’s a lot more hate for thieves than turrets (and 100x more thieves than turret engies). Nothing like being immobilized from stealth and killed before you’re even allowed to use a skill.

This isn’t even possible unless you play something like zerker ele and have the reaction time of a sloth

in PvP

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

I knew the nerf would be good, and that it has been needed for so long, but I’d honestly forgotten how enjoyable PvP was without turret engineers - be they on my team or the opposing team.

Great job! I just wish it didn’t take so long to make these kind of changes in response to player feedback!

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

I would like to know what new utility skills are replacing Turrets. I mean, you are replacing turrets right? We already know turrets have literally no place in PvE or WvW aside from Healing Turret, which may no longer be the go-to choice if Med Kit becomes substantially better. And we now know turrets have no place in PvP since their cooldowns are way to high to simply be destroyed a few seconds later.

Nobody liked turrets apparently, not even Engineers. They did not promote “skill.” So obviously being the good and educated company you are, you surely have no intentions of leaving us with a set of useless utilities and intend on replacing them with a new set of utilities that fit withing the confines of “fair and skillful play that doesn’t kitten everyone off,” right?

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

btw you should also fix ground targeting exploit so those turret engis still tryharding won’t put turrets on unreachable spots

ty

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

I don’t know why, but it really upsets me seeing some of these people defending turrets.

The reason people are defending them is because they are a core aspect of the engineer class. There are 1 heal skill, 5 utility skills, and 1 elite skill that use turrets, both the heal and elite are used very frequently by almost all of the engineers out there, except for some niche builds. Even turreteers like myself wanted them reworked, but we didn’t want them dead. It’s bad enough that they have literally no usability in WvW, and what little usability they had in PvE is gone now too. That means that 7 skills that used to be only useful in one game mode (and even then it was only because either 1) the person couldn’t/didn’t know how to counter them or 2) because Conquest encourages tanky bunker builds) are now no longer viable in any game mode.

They might as well completely rework the concept of turrets, because this can’t possibly be the “working as intended” they meant. Make them explode after 2 uses of the overcharge, or after 30 seconds of placement, or when you move/are pulled too far from them, or they require a long cast time to place. ANYTHING! Instead of tweaking these utility skills to function fairly they instead destroyed any semblance of the build. Fortunately, engineers have other builds to fall back on, for now. We’ll see what everyone starts running once celestial gets the nerf hammer.

in PvP

Posted by: Faux.6349

Faux.6349

Sorry.
This change only proves further that the developers, in charge of class/profession management, do no testing and it honestly doesn’t surprise me.
Tested turret engineer last night (even with Net >Thumper turret) 5-0 win/lose ratio. Must be because turrets are the problem, right?
There are a lot less turret engineers, sure. I think I will continue running Turreteer just to continue proving a point. You will see why this change improved engineer’s overall 1v1 burst.

Topped the scoreboard -if you can call it that- a few times during my testing.

For anyone considering to start your own competitive game:
If you are going to cater to your community when they ask you to change something, be sure to also research and test it yourselves when requested to.
I am unimpressed with the choices made.

A new turret build will be created in the near future, so don’t quit the utilities just yet.

in PvP

Posted by: miriforst.1290

miriforst.1290

I am really interested to hear how it improved your burst.

in PvP

MiniEquine.6014

I am really interested to hear how it improved your burst.

Yeah, I don’t know where they see that happening. I may still also run turreteer more to test its viability, but this isn’t beneficial for “burst”. I suppose, since your turrets will be destroyed more, you could consider the extra damage over time from their explosions would “add to your burst”, but this is not a beneficial side-effect.

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Honestly today I destroyed like 4 turrets with a single d/d ele fire burst.

It seems Anet doesn’t know how to balance classes: they nerfed turrets by like 250% extra incoming damage instead of doing a proper balancing job and decreasing their hp by something like 15-20%. It is a completely overdone nerf, and honestly, even if I hate turret engies I didn’t want their build to be completely useless/broken, it’s not good for the game.

On top of that they don’t even nerf the insane ranger damage from crazy range or fix all the useless ele skills. I can’t think of any worse balancing in a MMO besides ESO.

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

It’s sad really. Nobody like Turret Engies. I always got great satisfaction out of killing them just for playing such a lazy build. But this nerf, this is just wrong. Not to mention, it didn’t just destroy the turret build, it destroyed and entire set of utilities for the Engineer. Turrets as an Engineer utility are now not worth taking in any build aside Rifle Turret in a Static Discharge build, and even that is just for the Tool Belt ability.

Gate of Madness

in PvP

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

It seems Anet doesn’t know how to balance classes: they nerfed turrets by like 250% extra incoming damage instead of doing a proper balancing job and decreasing their hp by something like 15-20%. It is a completely overdone nerf, and honestly, even if I hate turret engies I didn’t want their build to be completely useless/broken, it’s not good for the game.

On top of that they don’t even nerf the insane ranger damage from crazy range or fix all the useless ele skills. I can’t think of any worse balancing in a MMO besides ESO.

did you mean to say “on top of that, they left the overpowered celestial amulet as is, but destroyed the only build capable of contesting the meta”?

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

It seems Anet doesn’t know how to balance classes

Turret was cancer. They cured the game of it, I don’t see the problem. For the risk/reward factor the turret build has it’s actually balanced now. Such a passive noskill build should never be even remotely viable.

(edited by witcher.3197)

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Don’t celebrate yet, Engi looks to be getting nuke level buffs in the near future.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

Turret was cancer. They cured the game of it, I don’t see the problem. For the risk/reward factor the turret build has it’s actually balanced now. Such a passive noskill build should never be even remotely viable.

Other players don’t like fighting turret engies because they are easy to play, so the proper level of response is to completely neuter an entire line of utilities, making them no longer a viable choice in any build in any game mode. Nobody is arguing whether or not turret engi was cancer, they are arguing that despite providing many ideas on how to tone down the turret build to make them more balanced, Anet instead went with the lazy route of making turrets so weak a simple sneeze could destroy them.

Gate of Madness

in PvP

MiniEquine.6014

If a build such as this should never even be remotely viable, then the utilities should not exist in the first place. What you’re arguing for is for a class with 1 heal, 5 utilities, and 1 elite skills that consist of this mechanic that are nothing but a picture in the skills list. This is NOT a good way to design a game. Imagine making Mesmer mantras lose a stack whenever you are struck in combat, or Guardian meditations that required a 3 sec channel before activating, or if allies now triggered necromancer wells. I could go on. Changes like these would make using any of these abilities a bad choice.

Don’t forget, this isn’t just about PvP. The turreteer was already struggling in PvE in terms of ability to keep up with any group or to complete any map-related content, which actually required more skill to try and juggle the cooldowns of your turrets with when to drop them, where, for how long, etc. They die just as quickly now in PvE environments as they do in PvP, and when they die you have 30-50 seconds of no utility skill, sometimes with literally no benefit of having placed the turret in the first place.

Hate the build all you want, but you cannot reasonably believe that a class having 7 useless skills is good for the game or its diversity. There were plenty of fixes they could have implemented that would have worked just fine, even if it still wouldn’t have addressed the PvE and WvW issues.

Edit: I have tried the turreteer build in PvP, and it still has some viability. However, it is difficult to consider it a bunker build anymore. It is really just a build that attempts to focus on defense and still succeeds when the opponent does not attack the rocket turret first.

(edited by MiniEquine.6014)

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Don’t celebrate yet, Engi looks to be getting nuke level buffs in the near future.

Engi had two OP specs: turret engi and cele rifle nade spam.

The cele rifle nade spam spec does not have a hard counter in the current meta. It actually might be the only current spec across any class that doesn’t have a hard counter right now.

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

(…)

Not everything will have the same level of viability and not every build will have the same difficulty. The key is to pair low risk, easy builds with low effectiveness – these builds must exist so that new players can get started and that’s good for the game.

Turret is ridiculously easy to play, which means it shouldn’t be viable outside of low tier play. Now a lot of these entry level players are complaining that Anet overnerfed turrets (which is not true) – truth is they got a taste of what it’s like to be effective, and now instead of actually learning how to play the game they want their build back.

in PvP

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

No, i would just like to not have something that is designed to be terrible in every part of the game.
And yes, something that is supposedly designed “for low tier play” (in this case “versus someone that doesn’t even know what turrets are”, cause anyone else would just kill them on sight after the nerf) is just a terrible set of utilities to me.
There was already a discussion on that mindset back in the thread.
Imho, having terrible utilities for the sake of terrible players is just detrimental for the game. I would rather have good utilities for good players, so that once you’re good you aren’t limited to a subset of utilities.

in PvP

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Funny, history of turrets make a full circle, at start of the game almost no one used them cause of the humongus hit box, then they made them usable by fixing this and now again almost no one will ever use them due to a fact that they now die extremly fast, as if they didnt die fast enough before.

Pretty much.
They spend years on trying to get people to play turrets, and now that they did they’re like…nope go back to alchemy or something,

Turrets as they are now feel inferior to other minions. They cannot move or benefit from boons, yet they now share the weakness of other minions just “to bring them inline with the rest of the game”.
It was pretty obvious that instead of balancing, the intend was just to completely take them out of play again.

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

with turrets being vulnerable to crits and condi damage, simply buff their hp by like 30%. should be fine.

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

with turrets being vulnerable to crits and condi damage, simply buff their hp by like 30%. should be fine.

So nerf them so they take more damage and die faster, then in turn buff them until they can withstand said damage and survive longer again.

#Logic

Gate of Madness

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

So nerf them so they take more damage and die faster, then in turn buff them until they can withstand said damage and survive longer again.

#Logic

Considering they went from too hard to kill to 1 shot pieces of power. Yes that’s called working #balance.

Of course, turrets really just need scrapped and reworked at this point…

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Anet clearly don’t test balance changes before going live. Turrets are useless and our only elite is trash. I’ll go run the stupid shoutbow or Cele DD ele builds that are cheesier and still in game.

Worthless.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

in PvP

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

(…)

Not everything will have the same level of viability and not every build will have the same difficulty. The key is to pair low risk, easy builds with low effectiveness – these builds must exist so that new players can get started and that’s good for the game.

Turret is ridiculously easy to play, which means it shouldn’t be viable outside of low tier play. Now a lot of these entry level players are complaining that Anet overnerfed turrets (which is not true) – truth is they got a taste of what it’s like to be effective, and now instead of actually learning how to play the game they want their build back.

First off I play all but guardian in pvp and I’m good, not new or a “bad”. I find this arguement of turrets being a noob build laughable since it’s (was) a bunker engi and I enjoy bunker builds. The build took exactly as much skill as shoutbow and Cele DD which are still in game.

An entire play style was removed because the community were and are too lazy to have figured out how to play against what was an easy build to kill.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

good change, enough said

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: herkinberkin.7065

herkinberkin.7065

Literally as soon as I started thinking about making a turret engi. I kitten you not….SIIIGH
Congrats whiney babies, you can now idiotically spam condis and crits on turrets that not only can’t crit you but also don’t stat-scale for no particular reason , it’s not like the engi can just make more turrets OH WAIT.

So now turrets are there basically to soak up an ounce of dmg and tickle a little bit. Tinfoil-plated teddy bears = totally worth those skillpoints.

At least our stats mysteriously scale with other utilities, seems balanced/legit huh. Anyone know if this a bug or “working as intended”? Gotta love being discretely told by a game company to play a game you bought the way the game company wants you to play it, not the way you wanna play it.

Also, one last thing: why can’t these changes just affect pvp? Is that the only thing Anet cares about despite having a humongous amount of pve content?

(edited by herkinberkin.7065)

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Good riddance. Better delete them from game completly.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in PvP

Posted by: herkinberkin.7065

herkinberkin.7065

Yeah, let’s just all play the same class/style Anet wants us to play, cuz that’s FUN. Sheesh…

in PvP

Posted by: Luku.6542

Luku.6542

I dont and never have played a turret engineer, however healing turret was the conerstone of the/my engineering healing. I want to ask if healing turret was also affected by this change?

since this patch I find my total survivability has dropped significantly as it seems the instant I drop my healing turret to heal its gone and presumably dead?

can anyone else please confirm this?

btw way I run flame thrower, bombs and tool kit as my skills

(edited by Luku.6542)

in PvP

Posted by: Kagamiku.9731

Kagamiku.9731

All turrets were affected.

in PvP

Posted by: Peutrifectus.4830

Peutrifectus.4830

True, they were. If you’re only using a healing turret in a bomb kit based build, you shouldn’t have any snags really. You should be overcharging and picking it straight up or placing big ol’ bomb, deploying it, overcharge, blast it, magnetic inversion for an Uber heal.

Either way you should not be leaving it deployed ;-)

What should be done and what can be done are 2 different things…

In an ideal world, they should have a mechanic which encourages the use of single turrets with kits/weapons that synergise. Rather than spamming AI everywhere!

Ie. A trait the buffs both (rifle & rifle turret) (bomb kit & thumper turret) (flamethrower & flame turret) (missile turret &grenade kit)….. Leave the odd elixir gun and net turret combo… Tranq dart and nnet, kinda like a big game hunter? IDK.

Might not be feasible with the new trait system.

in PvP

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

The change is done! They will never revert it! If they expand upon it, it will be literally years so don’t get your hopes up! It’s over so there’s no use crying about it! If this came as a surprise for anyone, well this is Anet’s trademark! There’s even a meme for it!

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Smiter's_Boon_

“This skill is considered by most to be the paramount example of a nerf and thus, has given rise to a nickname known as Smiter’s Booning (or simply S-booning) or simply “booned.” (example- “The skill got booned!”) It is most often used when players cry out for the nerf of a particular problematic skill or when a skill has been made so underpowered it becomes unplayable!"

“We recognize that the changes to this skill will essentially remove it from play. In the future, we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of this skill that would be viable but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.”

That was 7 years ago and Smiter’s Boon hasn’t changed! They stopped working on GW1 so it will never change! If you enjoyed playing turrets, just remember that playing a viable rendition of a turret build is but a dream! So sayeth Arenanet, destroyer of builds!

Now excuse me I have to vomit from defending turret Engis! Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

The change is done! They will never revert it! If they expand upon it, it will be literally years so don’t get your hopes up! It’s over so there’s no use crying about it! If this came as a surprise for anyone, well this is Anet’s trademark! There’s even a meme for it!

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Smiter's_Boon_

“This skill is considered by most to be the paramount example of a nerf and thus, has given rise to a nickname known as Smiter’s Booning (or simply S-booning) or simply “booned.” (example- “The skill got booned!”) It is most often used when players cry out for the nerf of a particular problematic skill or when a skill has been made so underpowered it becomes unplayable!"

“We recognize that the changes to this skill will essentially remove it from play. In the future, we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of this skill that would be viable but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.”

That was 7 years ago and Smiter’s Boon hasn’t changed! They stopped working on GW1 so it will never change! If you enjoyed playing turrets, just remember that playing a viable rendition of a turret build is but a dream! So sayeth Arenanet, destroyer of builds!

Now excuse me I have to vomit from defending turret Engis! Wahoo! Bye frands!

Aw, come on Vee Wee, you know you love those turret guys. ;P

But yeah, pretty said that Anet has nerfed them to the point where even you have come out in support of them. lol

Gate of Madness

in PvP

Posted by: Bio Flame.4276

Bio Flame.4276

I still think the nerf was not enough. It is a core PvP issue: good PvP is about player interaction, not player vs AI. That’s PvE.

I still see LOTS of Engi Cancer builds (Engi turrets), just fought a premade with 3!! Cancer builds.

Design-wise, I strongly believe that Turrets should be completely pushed out of the meta. Turrets gameplay lacks skill, it’s not fun to play against and it’s everything that PvP should not be.

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I still think the nerf was not enough. It is a core PvP issue: good PvP is about player interaction, not player vs AI. That’s PvE.

I still see LOTS of Engi Cancer builds (Engi turrets), just fought a premade with 3!! Cancer builds.

Design-wise, I strongly believe that Turrets should be completely pushed out of the meta. Turrets gameplay lacks skill, it’s not fun to play against and it’s everything that PvP should not be.

Its a design issue entirely. “NPCs” can be very strategical as long as enough play revolves around interaction with them. Some MMOs, their hardest to play characters are pet classes, and theres much to be said about overcoming bad AI as well. Its entirely a perception issue as to how “bad” AI is for pvp.

That said, ANet has designed every pet it has to be relatively non-interactive and basically damage sticks. Thats not an AI issue, thats a lack of creativity. :/

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

The change is done! They will never revert it!

This is true. ANET hates to admit when they make mistakes. Look at the current matchmaking system,

in PvP

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

A d/d ele complains about ranger …. More like a L2P issue…
One of the strongest specs in PVP shouting a nerf to the most underused pvp build..
Seem legit. The community these days…

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Thanks for the turret fix.

It’s not fun. If you like turrets you’re not having fun, and shouldn’t be playing games.

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

the problem is turrets was that the average player is just not good enough to deal with them pre nerf. post nerf they are a really poor utility choice. classes should not have whole sets of utilities that are awful in every gamemode. regardless of what you think about AI, its just dumb to put skills in the game that players should not use. i’m still confused to why spirit weapons are in the game at all.

i would remove all damage from the thumper turret (have it only cripple and cc) and increase it’s health by a large amount. it’s a melee turret, it has to be able to survive in AOE or else it just can’t do it’s job. it used to useful in some non turret builds, but has been nerfed into uselessness. rocket, rifle and net can all be placed out of ‘danger’ but the thumper can’t.

i played turret engi a few times (made a tiny orange asura asura that looked like a carrot), it was alright but too boring for me and can only really bunk far. it was strong mostly because the average pvp player sucks. here is a scenario that happens to me all the time that just shows how dumb these people are: i play celestial bombs (with Egun and mine) and when i’m on point and i see a thief coming i will lay my mines and start auto attacking with bombs. guess what happens next, oh yes that’s right the thief will teleport themselves into my AOEs and take massive damage. next they stealth, then try and reengage on low hp and die. this is not a one off encounter, this happens to me all the time. it’s a monstrously abysmal tactic, and will never work yet so many thieves do it again and again. i don’t understand why they think teleporting into AOE is a good idea, but they just wont stop.

my point being that the average pvp player (or at least the average thief) uses awful tactics and refuses to change them, hence why turret engineer caused so much rage (you have to fight it in a particular way). i think these players who refuse to think about why they loose and change tactics deserve to suffer far more than the turret engineer.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

The change is done! They will never revert it!

This is true. ANET hates to admit when they make mistakes. Look at the current matchmaking system,

Actully it may come back somehow, look at necro…Enfeebling Blood’s comeback on Weakening comeback, Unholy Sanctuart,FoTG,stomping/rez in DS… They don’t know what to do so they recycle and lessen potential disguising it as “It’s better now”,we are not idiots. Now mesmer…they deleted condition glamour bombing and revamp them in control wells.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in PvP

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

They should remove autoattacks from Turrets. They only get an “Overcharge”, and are indestructable.

They are essentially utility skills, but they are deployed by proxy of the Turret itself. Example, you dont do the Knockdown around your character but around where the Turret is.
You’re Immobilize projectiles doesn’t fire out from your character, but from the Turret. Obviously these effects will all have cooldowns, you cannot just spam knockdowns or such.

Turrets are no more No-brain AI because they literally do nothing without player input telling them to, and against who. Instead they are to be strategically placed proxies.
Turrets do not think about range or los. So if you decide to have your turret try and net someone who is obstructed from where the turret is, thats on you when it fails.

Detonating a Turret does a new effect, or just a larger explosion but leaves it at full cooldown. Picking them up reduces cooldown by 100%, so you can place them again immediatly. This will not refresh the cooldown on the turret ability.

(edited by Terrahero.9358)