Queuing Outside of HotM

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

There were a few reasons for keeping players in HotM when queued:

• It forces new players to recognize they have completely different builds in PvP maps.
  • You won’t miss the match accept because of load screens and get dishonor.
  • We can make a better user experience (match accept and map voting) without having to worry about interrupting whatever a player might be doing elsewhere.

In order to allow queuing from outside HotM, we would need to change these things.

• We would need tech to remove players temporarily from queue during load screens.
  • Create better tutorials or gating for new players so they don’t hop into PvP unprepared.
  • Revisit the way the match flow UI works.
Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

So you’re mostly forcing HoTM to appease new players. How about you still take players to HoTM if they queue up for PvP normally, like a new player would? But provide the rest of us a way to queue without entering HoTM, a separate queue button for an example?

And can’t you guys provide us a way to save build templates already? Pretty please. Thanks.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Jelzouki.4128

Jelzouki.4128

• It forces new players to recognize they have completely different builds in PvP maps.
  • We can make a better user experience (match accept and map voting) without having to worry about interrupting whatever a player might be doing elsewhere.

In order to allow queuing from outside HotM, we would need to change these things.

• We would need tech to remove players temporarily from queue during load screens.
  • Create better tutorials or gating for new players so they don’t hop into PvP unprepared.

Make the accept timer a minute long.

Why can’t we accept the match in PvE so we cut entering hotm entirely?

http://strawpoll.me/3648686/r Queue for PvP from any map. Vote Here. Zojoel [ASAP Zerg]

(edited by Jelzouki.4128)

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

All of this could be easily solved if we had something to do when waiting for Qpop, a rework of HotM and stuff like this would be nice :p

M I L K B O I S

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

you were preventing people with low rank from queuing ranked matches, set it so those people have to stay in hotm, people over that threshold know well enough, if the argument is that its for newbies in large part.

2. people are bored in hotm. why are people playing a game if its boring? find a way to prevent people from being bored

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

Honestly, making players recognize the way PvP builds works is not good either, even in the heart of the mist.

There need to be a window appearing on your screen explaining how the PvP build thing works. I get people asking how to set up runes and sigils, or why they can’t use their elite spec because they don’t know about the third slot rules, and more things like that ALL the time.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Thiefz.3695

Thiefz.3695

This should be worked on regardless. The PvP tutorial is not that great. There is no Stronghold tutorial. Ultimately, you should create 2 instances with premade teams of AI to assist a person in learning PvP basics.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

How about you can queue outside of HotM if you have over 300 games played to ensure you aren’t a new player being confused about different armor for pvp and pve.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

The reason I’m on the tiny “NO” amount.

I have a good PC with SSD and I can load GW2 in no time. Although for guys&gals with medicore PC, they could take up to even a minute to load HotM. I don’t wanna wait longer in re-queue and they prob don’t wanna get dishonor for having a medium PC.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

I have a good PC with SSD and I can load GW2 in no time. Although for guys&gals with medicore PC, they could take up to even a minute to load HotM. I don’t wanna wait longer in re-queue and they prob don’t wanna get dishonor for having a medium PC.

…but what if you would load directly to match after accepting without loading HotM first?

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Leeto.1570

Leeto.1570

Load hotm? When you accept que you get right into game it didnt load you into hotm first.
i have garbage hdd, sometimes i have 10 seconds left till start of match when i join match and even with this PC for 2 years i never missed que because of loading screen its just so rare and at worst case you can just get where you want to be and only then que up.

I really dont understand has all the old player given up on this game? Not even a year has passed since we had possibility to que outside of mists and it was working perfectly, same with soloque.
I know its hard to believe but if you werent playing back then but this game had both these features working perfectly and then anet just removed them for no reason.

(edited by Leeto.1570)

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

There were a few reasons for keeping players in HotM when queued:snip

We totally understand, that queueing outside of HotM might impact the personal experience negatively (you get interrupting while playing; you might not be able to accept the invite and therefore suffer the penalty).

BUT those reasons are all on the personal level and therefore we we should personally be able to choose if we want to take the risk or not.

How about a NPC in the mists – whose dialog you first have to get through – who can enable the ability to queue outside of the mists?
He could inform you about the risk you take and how builds in PvP are workign (besides, completely new players will not find him anyway).

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Power.2957

Power.2957

-snip-

@Evan: I can’t thank you enough for actually replying . This clears up so much FUD.

@Everyone else: Please be thankful, don’t attack Evan or threaten to delete your accounts or rage or whatever, and please take this opportunity to continue engaging in constructive discussion about this topic and how we may possibly resolve it. We’ve waited for what seems an eternity for word on this matter and this is a major step.

I completely understand the logic that new players would be unaware that their builds are different when in PvP than when in other areas of the game. If they queue without ever visiting Heart of the Mists, they’ll never have that time in the lobby to notice their bar and have it mentally click that “hey my skills are different.” That makes total sense. It just sucks as veterans that it increasingly seems that changes to appease new players affect everyone and from our standpoint, not necessarily for the best. I do however completely understand that new players are important and we cannot simply leave them at the wayside.

Recently ranked queue was updated to disallow people below rank 20 (I think that’s what I read in the patch notes?) from entering. I would say this could also be applied to unranked queue for players below rank 5 or 2 etc, so that they would have at least some experience in PvP and therefore know their skills are different, but hot joins were hidden and now new players really only see unranked and ranked unless they browse the list of games.

I think the dishonor is great. People who voted no in my poll mostly expressed they were worried lots of people would decline queues and make them last longer. But now if players consistently decline queues they won’t be able to continue contributing to excessive queue times.

Someone else in this thread suggested increasing the match accept time to 1 minute but I don’t know that that will solve the issue entirely. While the technology you describe sounds ideal, I have some suggestions I imagine would be a lot less difficult to implement:

• What about making it so that people can queue from anywhere, but leaving/changing/loading a map (and maybe to an extent using a waypoint) kicks them out of the queue? I personally would be satisfied with that. Players would simply have to choose somewhere to be first, and then queue up.
  • What about tech to tell if people are currently loading? After telling that someone in queue is loading you could pause or extend the match accept rather than “take them temporarily out of queue.”
  • Maybe the team that worked on the WvW queue and old overflow queues could shed some light on how that works? I imagine the WvW queues don’t matter as much because for each player 9 other players aren’t depending on him to accept, so it doesn’t matter if he misses the queue pop? Maybe nothing can be done with that if this is the case.

The WvW queue pop is great at not completely interrupting whatever players are doing elsewhere. Maybe the PvP queue could be simplified to look like that (until the 2nd screen for map voting). A depleting timer bar with two options, Accept and proceed to map voting, Decline and get dishonor.

This sounds like it would be a ton of work to implement but I think this would solve a lot of issues presented in this thread and elsewhere.

Ultimately I have no knowledge of how this all works internally, I certainly do not call the shots at ArenaNet and I know they are working on leagues but I do think after work is done on leagues, figuring this out should be a top priority.

Allowing players to queue outside of Heart of the Mists is absolutely critical to creating a healthier PvP environment and I imagine the volume of threads complaining about super long queue times would be severely reduced because people would be entertained while queueing and not notice just how long they’ve been in queue for.

Whoever at ArenaNet figures this out will become an instant figurehead for the sPvP community. A hero.

“Power is like the illuminati of Guild Wars.” -Loshon

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Super.2749

Super.2749

most of the problems above can be solved by forcing players to queue INSIDE heart of the mist so all the pvers have to get inside HOTM, so they can see the builds they are playing, but once you are in queue you can leave HOTM this will solve the problem. as for loading screen dishonor problem, u can just make the accept timer longer.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

I totally agree with Power. I’m a very long time PvP player (play PvP too much that I didn’t even have map completion after 3 years). And I think there should be a better way to handle this rather than sacrificing overall experience to appeal to new players.

Solutions that would work for both side (and hopefully easy to implement):

• be able to queue anywhere except in an instance.
  • if the user uses a waypoint or map portal, kick them and their party out of the queue.
  • [optional] print a system message to their chat log saying “your queue is cancelled because you changed map
  • [optional] pops up a dialog before the user uses the waypoint, and make them confirm that changing map will cancel their queue
  • [optional] [last resort] make it so that only people at rank 20 and up can queue outside of HotM. You can make it rank 80 too if you think rank 20 can still make build mistake.

Beside that

• 30s time to accept queue is good enough, no need to change. Changing it won’t fix anything. There will still be people with wooden PC that takes a minute to load. Or if they never download the map and needs to download it. The real solution is above.
Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

(edited by Sunshine.5014)

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

as for loading screen dishonor problem, u can just make the accept timer longer.

Attachments:

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Chicho Gosho.6507

Chicho Gosho.6507

1) If it works in WvW, why can’t it be implemented to PvP?
2) It has been suggested to be able to queue outside of HotM only if you’re rank 20 or above.
3) I think the UI is so big and loud because there’s nothing you can do in HotM, so you need to remind people(which are probably on youtube or w/e site) that they queued 10 mins ago for a match. Give something to the players to stay ingame and it should be possible to make a better UI.

I thought that PvP would be a much bigger focus with all the e-sport stuff. A second response to some of the suggestions would be nice.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Elwinson.5962

Elwinson.5962

I propose:

After Rank 10, allow players to queue from WvW or non-instanced PvE.

Keep the queue accept timer the same. Making it longer would just make it take longer for everyone to get into a match.

Prevent players from entering loading screens while in queue:
The loadscreen UI is replaced with a message saying “You cannot perform this action while you are in a PvP queue. You must leave your PvP queue first”.

Examples of actions that would be blocked by being in a PvP queue:

• Taking a waypoint (if you are Defeated while in queue, tough luck, you have to sit there and think about how to play better)
  • Entering a portal that moves the player to elsewhere in the same map
  • Entering an instance
  • Queuing for a WvW map
  • Teleport to Friend
  • Joining a party member’s megaserver map
  • Accepting the “move to a more populated map” prompt
  • Going into Hot Join

But just as a fallback, to cover any cases that were missed, or if new cases are added in the future and someone forgot to hook them up to the not-allowed-while-in-queue check, if the player did somehow manage to incur a loading screen anyway, the loading screen UI itself should contain code to punt the player from PvP queue (other than loading into the accepted PvP match, obviously). The player’s chat log will have a message after the loading screen informing the player of having been kicked.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

as for loading screen dishonor problem, u can just make the accept timer longer.

+1

zzzzz borings

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Crystal Black.8190

Crystal Black.8190

Thanks Evan for the reply.

I would like to give some feedback. I would really enjoy to be able to queue outside of HotM.

1. The new player problem does actually no longer exists since one of the recent patches. You blocked new players below a certain rank, so they cant join ranked or unranked matches anymore.
  2. I think the suggestion that queue gets canceled if you change the map would greatly reduce this problem. You could use the “Map-change-volunteer-window” thats used if a map gets closed to show that the pvp-match is ready and to vote for a map. This wont hard interrupt whatever you are doing like the current system that blocks you from any actions while the accepting window is visible. I probably would miss the queue accept less often if i would queue form elsewhere in the game. Currently i and probalby a lot of other players tab out of the game and do something else. I miss the accept often cause i didnt notice the yellow guild wars-symbol in the taskbar.
  3. Honestly you really need a proper tutorial for pvp. Currently you hopp unprepared into pvp. The starter island that at least introduced you to the capture points and stomping is not accesible anymore. I read so often and explain people how to use the pvp build tab cause they dont know how it works. Many new players also think their pve level and equipment affects pvp so they want ascended gear before starting pvp. There cant be a good tutorial atm if any. A good pvp tutorial is one of these other things pvp really needs maybe some kind of instance of a real pvp map that introduce you to the ready-up button, knocking enemies out of capture points etc and finally allows you acces to some tutorial server where veteran players can be a mentor and can switch between an invis/invulnerable mode.
  4. Also a complete overhaul of the pvp lobby would help so you can actually do something while in queue.
  5. Be able to queue while in hotjoin would really help so you can play/test/duel with your teammates while waiting for the match.

(edited by Crystal Black.8190)

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: LegallyBinding.4937

LegallyBinding.4937

Can you at least let us duel or something. I get so bored waiting around in HoTM.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

I thought ranked already had an inherent rank requirement to queue with? Limit the queuing outside of hotm that, and add a nice pve mail message along the lines of those dungeon mail spams when I boost a character to 80.

Let’s go with baby steps first then, let us join custom arenas or hotjoin servers while we wait? Nothing confusing for a new player there.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Removing people from queue on map travel is a decent middle ground and should be easier than temporarily removing them from the queue. However, even teleporting within a map can have decent load times and hooking up warnings to every way you can leave a map, like Elwinson listed, is still a moderate feat.

The new player argument is obviously not an ideal one, but at the time was decent. I’d argue its more important now that we’ve removed the tutorial, but ideally should not affect where you can queue from once you know how PvP works.

The WvW queue behaves much differently from the PvP queue and cannot be used as an example or launching point unfortunately.

Increasing match accept times I don’t think is an effective or fun solution to this problem.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

How about a middle ground – restricting where people can queue from.

In a dream scenario, people could Q up from their Guild Halls, and even duel each other in the guild arena. Problem is, the Arena’s using PvE gear which is a huge issue for any PvP guild as it’s impossible to recreate a competitive setting with PvE gear and balance.

Would it be possible to add an option for guild officers to toggle a “PvP” option for the GH? In which case the Arena would use PvP gear and members could que up from the GH. Even if this means loss of some features like gliding, it should be an option and healthy for PvP communities – PvE/WvW guilds could still use the “PvE” GH option.

This would actually solve many of the current issues:

• The irrelevance of Guild Halls to PvP guilds (because there is nothing for us to do there as the Arena’s using PvE gear and balance)
  • Queuing outside of HotM
  • Would give people something to do while waiting.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Crystal Black.8190

Hi Evan thanks for the second reply.

Would it be easier to just add a notification if you have switched maps that tells you something like “You have load into a other map, because of this you have left the queue”?
So you get informed why you have been removed so after the first time you have done this, you know “changing maps will remove me, i shouldnt do it”
Or you could add a option in settings that you can check/unchek so queuing outside of the lobby is enabled, but i guess that would be more work.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Why do you guys simplify systems so much for new players? Honestly, the game isn’t that difficult to understand. If the player has never queued on that account, force them to build their toon by opening the build screen before they begin. Refer them to meta battle so they have a template to build around.

People aren’t idiots, anet.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Crystal Black.8190

How about a middle ground – restricting where people can queue from.

In a dream scenario, people could Q up from their Guild Halls, and even duel each other in the guild arena. Problem is, the Arena’s using PvE gear which is a huge issue for any PvP guild as it’s impossible to recreate a competitive setting with PvE gear and balance.

Would it be possible to add an option for guild officers to toggle a “PvP” option for the GH? In which case the Arena would use PvP gear and members could que up from the GH. Even if this means loss of some features like gliding, it should be an option and healthy for PvP communities – PvE/WvW guilds could still use the “PvE” GH option.

This would actually solve many of the current issues:

• The irrelevance of Guild Halls to PvP guilds (because there is nothing for us to do there as the Arena’s using PvE gear and balance)
  • Queuing outside of HotM
  • Would give people something to do while waiting.

Queuing inside the guild hall is nice but you cant do that much there too, it would just be a nicer looking lobby.

Off-Topic:
I agree that the Arena is useless for PvP-Players, except the reward track boost. If i would like to play in the Arena i have to recreate my PvP-Builds in PvE which is time cosuming and expensive and i cant fast switch builds if i want to. So the Arena is a building supposed for sPvP-players while the Warroom is for WvW but we cant properly use the nice features in the arena. It feels like a misconcept here.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Removing people from queue on map travel is a decent middle ground and should be easier than temporarily removing them from the queue. However, even teleporting within a map can have decent load times and hooking up warnings to every way you can leave a map, like Elwinson listed, is still a moderate feat.

The new player argument is obviously not an ideal one, but at the time was decent. I’d argue its more important now that we’ve removed the tutorial, but ideally should not affect where you can queue from once you know how PvP works.

The WvW queue behaves much differently from the PvP queue and cannot be used as an example or launching point unfortunately.

Increasing match accept times I don’t think is an effective or fun solution to this problem.

Speaking of Tutorials….please reconsider improving and re-adding one for new players:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/sPvP-Fix-List/first#post5588156 (Tutorial post)

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Why do you guys simplify systems so much for new players? Honestly, the game isn’t that difficult to understand. If the player has never queued on that account, force them to build their toon by opening the build screen before they begin. Refer them to meta battle so they have a template to build around.

I respectfully, but strenuously, disagree.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Starfall.6425

Starfall.6425

I’m so happy we atleast can discuss this with a anet employ.

1) Make q-ing outside of HotM require rank 10. By then there should have been enough games for someone to get what he has to do.

2) Further there is, before actual game start, a huge amount of time to switch stuff (weapons, traits, equip).

3) Q-ing in open world and having the same UI pop-up (game-accept and map-vote) should be possible I guess; if some player is moving where he would enter a instance, cutscene, loading-screen he simply gets a pop-up like when entering fractals or something where he has the choice “Do you want to continue? Continuing will kick you out of pvp-queue: Yes / No”

This way players can enter the map they want to wait (GuildHall, SW for chestfarm, other maps for gathering/exploring) and start a queue there… everyone is happy.

Making this happen, together with a successful league system (and a balance patch before 1.dec) would basically satisfy all my pvp-needs.

[DP] – Diamond Pirates
[AM] – Abaddon’s Mouth

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

What if there was a new PvP panel that let you specify and absentee ballot or map preference list which ‘auto’ voted for you AND you where NOT allowed or required to accept the match if you queued outside of PvP or left PvP when you got bored in the queue?

Basically you pre-sign an agreement that whatever I am doing when it’s finally match time just yank me into the match with my vote already cast. If you still need an accept to verify I did not fall asleep while waiting then pop that up first, or if I happen to be loading when my number comes up then I get bumped from the queue.

On a related note, please set everyone to ready when they load so we can get the match started the second the last person loads (plus a few seconds maybe) rather than always having to wait the full two minutes because someone was to lazy to click ready.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Something that could fix the issue with different builds in pvp would be…..

build templates

Why is this still not a thing?

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

Thanks Evan!

Just want to let you know we really appreciate you spending time listening to us

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I would wager the majority of people think match accept times are too short. When we’re waiting for more than a few minutes and we go to get a drink or have a bio break we don’t have time to accept.

The issue is there’s very little to do in HOTM unless you want to practice on golems. If its too problematic to queue outside HOTM then give us stuff like crafting tables and a mystic forge in HOTM.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

Something that could fix the issue with different builds in pvp would be…..

build templates

Why is this still not a thing?

You mean, something like this? http://store.overwolf.com/app/PvP-Build-Manager

Signed, level 1 alt

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

SlayerSixx.5763

In general x.x?

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: SlimChance.6593

SlimChance.6593

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

:)

Eccho, Echo Oread – Mesmers (Yak’s Bend)
My EchoRupt Build - Forum Post

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

It isn’t that important to create warnings everywhere. Nothing bad happens if they zone away.The notification will notify u about leaving the que if someone would forget then they rejoin and most likely won’t get thrown behind in the queue in that short time.

(Lots of people already know this from changing HotM megaservers in queue.)

We can make a better user experience (match accept and map voting) without having to worry about interrupting whatever a player might be doing elsewhere.

Yes the windows blocking mouse movement and that they can’t be moved to the side once popped are very irritating even in HotM. So would be great if it didn’t behave like this.

Very happy that you are looking into this issue

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Cogbyrn.7283

In general x.x?

Yes. People often struggle with very simple systems, in everything. They blame the system first, then tell others that the system is bad. Much easier games than GW2 have large swaths of people who barely know how to play. Many people hardly understand their own class, let alone all of the other classes, which they honestly need if they want to actually perform well in PvP.

If they don’t make the systems easy to use and understand, and help guide new players through the system, then the player is very liable to say “Eh, I don’t get it”, then play one of the other trillion games that exist.

Being able to dive right into PvP is a blessing, but it’s also a potential curse, because you’re launching a new player into everything there is to know about the game (level 80 builds, stats, damage types, full builds) before they know anything about the game. They could probably use a lot more optional tutorials to explain mechanics, and simple systems never hurt.

EDIT – Also, SlimChance nailed the quote I always think of when it comes to the concept of “people”.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

SlayerSixx.5763

I remember when I first started. I was using this shout guardian build and tried dpsing with it to a fantastic effect (I got rekt). I pushed past it.

I remember my first time playing dark souls. I got rekt horrendously by the asylum demon and immediately quit for a whole month before I mustered up the courage to get that fatkitten down, so I understand where you’re coming from, but GW2 isn’t that difficult. Hell, if you’ve played until level 80 before PvPing (idk why I waited, but I still did), you’ll understand stats a lot better.

I don’t mind a streamlined system, but a completely dumbed down or one limited around newbies? Why not give veteran players the option to cut out the crap they don’t enjoy x.x?

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Zargoon.9835

Zargoon.9835

While this is important for player experience, I actually think it’s an even bigger deal for the esports component of gw2.

Right now if you go onto twitch and watch someone play pvp, you’ll usually be forced to watch them sit through a que. If they are a top tier player, that que can take up to 8 minutes. It really decreases the quality of the ‘spectatability’ of the game. Allowing queing outside of the mists would make pvp streams much more interesting to watch, and would serve as a nice advertisement of the game to anyone that might stumble into the stream.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Cogbyrn.7283

I remember when I first started. I was using this shout guardian build and tried dpsing with it to a fantastic effect (I got rekt). I pushed past it.

I remember my first time playing dark souls. I got rekt horrendously by the asylum demon and immediately quit for a whole month before I mustered up the courage to get that fatkitten down, so I understand where you’re coming from, but GW2 isn’t that difficult. Hell, if you’ve played until level 80 before PvPing (idk why I waited, but I still did), you’ll understand stats a lot better.

I don’t mind a streamlined system, but a completely dumbed down or one limited around newbies? Why not give veteran players the option to cut out the crap they don’t enjoy x.x?

I don’t think a system that is newb-friendly is also necessarily veteran-unfriendly. But given how intolerant people can be (especially a larger/more varied audience like an MMO pulls in, as opposed to a Dark Souls, which consists of challenge-hunting masochists (I spent a large amount of time playing Dark Souls 2, really enjoyed it until I started resenting the fact that I needed a 3rd party program to make a m+kb set-up work (and some triple-mob boss wrecked me after a long slog))), I don’t hold streamlining against them, even if it has an impact on me.

EDIT – And if you give vets the option to cut it, you’ll need to put some sort of restriction on new accounts at least, otherwise people will just complain that new players are skipping the tutorials (or whatever it may be) and playing poorly on their team.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I’d like to queue at least from the Guild Hall.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Heart of the Mists should have more useful things one can do. Now it can take so long time to queue, with absolutely nothing to do there. Add there crafting stations and mystic forge and vendors for them. I know they are pve things, BUT you can use those skins for your spvp character and spvp reward tracks drop pve materials and items.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I’d like to queue at least from the Guild Hall.

This is a good idea, we could at least duel in hall while waiting.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Skullface.7293

Skullface.7293

I don’t know why we still can’t queue in Guild Hall. I mean, it does require sPvP components to get a Guild Arena.

Hiro || Talgo
Main: Ranger
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/hirothebeast

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

I think getting knocked off the queue every time you zone or change waypoints in a map is a fair tradeoff for letting people queue outside of HotM. Don’t wana get kicked off queue? Then don’t WP. Don’t like it? Then stay in HotM.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Gunlaugr.2716

Gunlaugr.2716

Allow us to join hotjoin matches and custom servers. Players will still recognize that they have completely different builds in PvP.

I am positive people who are queued while in hotjoin or dueling in a custom server are well-aware that they have queued and will not be bothered by queue pop-up and map voting. That’s what they went to the mists for to begin with, after all.

If nothing else, make it possible for us to join hotjoin and custom servers while in queue. This would make the pvp experience considerably more entertaining.

If anything, right now I only miss queues because I occasionally go AFK out of boredom, and sometimes miss the queue pop. If I was actually engaged with the game I wouldn’t miss the Q pop.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Anastasis.7258

Anastasis.7258

At least, let us play in Hot-join/Personal Arena while waiting for queues?

(edited by Anastasis.7258)

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

If there’s a “New player” problem, why dont you gate it to New players? I.e. anyone under rank 10 cant queue from outside the mists?

Also, you’re admitting to catering to your new players. Where’s your interest in your older players?

Finally, just add a PvE boss in the mists that players can stand around and 1 spam on like they do in PvE. When the thing dies it can drop some loot, just like in a PvE map, and everybody gets to feel like they’re achieving something by spamming 1 (seeing big numbers) and gaining loot, just like in the foRealz PvE experience !:D!!!

~Problem solved.