Queuing Outside of HotM

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

This has not been forgotten.

Evan, sitting in the Mists is deadset killing me. Just being able to do hotjoin or PvE is my number 1 request.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

But is it being worked on?!

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

There were a few reasons for keeping players in HotM when queued:

• It forces new players to recognize they have completely different builds in PvP maps.
  • You won’t miss the match accept because of load screens and get dishonor.
  • We can make a better user experience (match accept and map voting) without having to worry about interrupting whatever a player might be doing elsewhere.

In order to allow queuing from outside HotM, we would need to change these things.

• We would need tech to remove players temporarily from queue during load screens.
  • Create better tutorials or gating for new players so they don’t hop into PvP unprepared.
  • Revisit the way the match flow UI works.

Did you see the counter-arugment part already?

Your reasoning is extremely weak because your “concerns” had already been addressed.
It seems more like an excuse now tbh since you’re basically repeating his counter-arguments.

One more thing, it is possible to que up while doing hotjoin/custom area back then, then you guys disabled it. For what reason if I may ask? The technology was there all along, yet you removed it. The old system made people less bored, and more willing to do PVP.

I know you are going to argue that: “It’d prolong the Que time because people are not willing to leave their Hot Join match”.
Truth be told only new players will do that, and new player has the shortest Que time possible since they have low MMR, and most people are Low MMR. Even if they reject the que, it wouldn’t take long for other low MMR people to get new Que.
The high MMR veterans would never hesitate to ditch a Hotjoin Match for the Rank fight since they know their Que time would be longer.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

oh gee whiz…

queue times for me personally, are almost always double to triple the “estimated queue time”, and i only have 23 points on the ladder, so you’d think my MMR would be low enough to get decent queue times… i can’t tell you how many 7-10 minute queues i sit in during estimated times less than 3 minutes…

(this actually makes me wonder if my MMR is higher than what it should be, or if i just need to stop solo-queuing to finally get the wins that the matchmaking system seems to think i should be getting)

if it’s that bad for ME, with only 23 points, i can’t imagine how bad it is for someone with 200…

– The Baconnaire

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: SadKeanu.3491

SadKeanu.3491

I would be happy with some sort of dueling mode/dueling arena, while waiting to que. I think that would make HOTM much more enjoyable and lead to a much more skilled playerbase.

twitch.tv/sadkeanu69
streaming weeknights after 6PM EST

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: TinyMidget.5814

TinyMidget.5814

i found a bug that lets me q wherever i want. i dont think theres any real technical hurdle stopping this from being in game…

Attachments:

(edited by TinyMidget.5814)

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

So it’s possible, and they simply wont us to be afk into HotM?

How meany of you ANET >.<

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

It was always possible. They use to let you queue outside of HotM. They took it away a couple of years ago for some reasoning that was very weak.

I for one wouldn’t mind queuing outside the mists at all. I could meet a lot more of my goals in game if I could multi-task.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

While it may appear to work, there are certainly technical hurdles to deal with before this could be a feature. If lots of people were doing this right now, there would be a lot of people hitting load screens and getting dishonor. It’s mostly related to technical jargon, but you’ll have to trust me that people would have bad times unless we fix some complicated things on the back end.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Mysticjedi.6053

While it may appear to work, there are certainly technical hurdles to deal with before this could be a feature. If lots of people were doing this right now, there would be a lot of people hitting load screens and getting dishonor. It’s mostly related to technical jargon, but you’ll have to trust me that people would have bad times unless we fix some complicated things on the back end.

So, just curious then how was it working earlier in the game? What changed? Like I said I remember an explanation, but maybe I didn’t fully understand it.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Before there was a ready check there wasn’t a problem because you’d just hop into the match once you finished loading. Of course this meant more AFK players.

The servers were completely rewritten at the end of 2014, and now there more sophisticated requirements to getting the PvP servers in sync with the game servers wanting to pause/destroy your roster when you hit load screens. The more people queuing outside the mists without fixing this, the more likely people will start seeing problems like ‘random’ dishonor.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

So, if queueing from outside HotM is so problematic, what about just making HotM a more interesting place to spend your time while queued?

Maybe add a jumping puzzle…more NPCs to fight…some other sort of puzzle/games…

I mean, you could probably meet with the people who designed the adventures and come up with some sort of interesting stuff for people to mess around with until the queue pops.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

So, if queueing from outside HotM is so problematic, what about just making HotM a more interesting place to spend your time while queued?

I mean, you could probably meet with the people who designed the adventures and come up with some sort of interesting stuff for people to mess around with until the queue pops.

all that takes a bit of time, planning, dev, $$$

rather, think small, simple, and easy – a area for people to fight each other

wi already there to battle… so. problem solved

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Dahkeus.8243

all that takes a bit of time, planning, dev, $$$

rather, think small, simple, and easy – a area for people to fight each other

wi already there to battle… so. problem solved

Pretty sure that would take time and money too since there’s the technical limitations of coding players to be considered as enemy targets when they’re otherwise considered friendly.

Maybe the same tech from guild halls that makes arenas work could be used here, but I have a feeling that solution is harder than it sounds.

However, I’d honestly be happy if they just tacked the Obsidian Sanctum jumping puzzle on to HotM and called it a day. =P

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Mysticjedi.6053

Before there was a ready check there wasn’t a problem because you’d just hop into the match once you finished loading. Of course this meant more AFK players.

The servers were completely rewritten at the end of 2014, and now there more sophisticated requirements to getting the PvP servers in sync with the game servers wanting to pause/destroy your roster when you hit load screens. The more people queuing outside the mists without fixing this, the more likely people will start seeing problems like ‘random’ dishonor.

That makes more sense to me.

So what about what another said just adding more to HotM. It would be nice to have a mystic forge back, maybe some crafting stations, or what about putting in some HoT type challenges.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

So what about what another said just adding more to HotM. It would be nice to have a mystic forge back, maybe some crafting stations, or what about putting in some HoT type challenges.

I’m just a programmer :P I can’t speak to that unfortunately. But I would totally enjoy a jumping puzzle in HotM

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Crell.6401

Crell.6401

Mystic Forge Conduits work again now in the lobby.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Power.2957

Power.2957

i found a bug that lets me q wherever i want. i dont think theres any real technical hurdle stopping this from being in game…

I will pay you 5000 gold if you pm me the details on how to do this and then I’ll never visit Heart of the Mists again -_-

“Power is like the illuminati of Guild Wars.” -Loshon

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

make external queueing an unlock. like at rank 10. solves the new player issue handily

as for getting a queue during loading… I’d actually suggest revamping the loading screen completely, though this is possibly a much bigger undertaking (or perhaps not?). There’s little reason you should lose access to the UI while loading a map. You even keep receiving chat messages while loading, you just aren’t shown them until you’re done. In short, you should be able to accept the match during loading. BUT, failing that…it is a difficult problem.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

All other mmos are able to do it.

Its pretty simple if you don’t do it you have to add more to do in HOTM especially with high level players getting long queues its unreasonable to expect players to just sit there waiting.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

Mystic Forge Conduits work again now in the lobby.

Wait, what?

I haven’t even tried that in months. I had gotten used to it after all these years… Now I have to go try it.

EDIT: Confirmed! It works. So… When did that happen?!

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

How much money do I need to transfer to your bank account for you to fix this issue Evan? I has PayPal.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Dahkeus.8243

How much money do I need to transfer to your bank account for you to fix this issue Evan? I has PayPal.

If there was a kickstarter, I’d throw down some $.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Power.2957

Don’t give me ideas :P

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

@Evan Lesh
Are we going to have the feature anytime soon? Because it’s like very important for quality of PvP.

Signed, level 1 alt

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

I’m just a programmer :P I can’t speak to that unfortunately. But I would totally enjoy a jumping puzzle in HotM

Someone already pointed out that the lobby should be a pvp version of Obsidian Sanctum. The beginning of the area could be a safe zone along with the arena, but where the jumping puzzle part start it would be free for all. In the great arena players are friendly/neutral to each other but they can request a duel.
At the very beginning: just toss a few golems/NPCs in the safe zone and done.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

@Evan Lesh
Are we going to have the feature anytime soon? Because it’s like very important for quality of PvP esports and the league system.

fixed dat fo u, now u have a chance

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

Would the problem be solved if we couldn’t swap maps but could queue from anywhere? I’d like to be able to, I don’t know, queue from WvW or a HoT map. We’d be able to at least participate in WvW or PvE for 10 or 20 minutes while we’re in the queue.

Not going to lie, I used to PvP. Now I don’t because I hate sitting mostly afk in queue for ages. When more time is spent waiting for a queue than actually playing the PvP match, something is wrong.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

In the 3+ years the game has been out, has dishonor ever been turned on for more than a few hours/days?

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

Make everyone pvp flagged and have an entire free for all while in HoTM while queued for ranked/unranked.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: nexidecimus.5973

nexidecimus.5973

hey man, i have credit cards. i’ll pay just to be able to it in a dueling server while i wait for my 15 minute qpops.

Noella Frostfire – Team P Z

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Power.2957

In the 3+ years the game has been out, has dishonor ever been turned on for more than a few hours/days?

Dishonor was turned back on when leagues was released. So it actually is in place right now. Back when I made this thread however, it wasn’t.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Ara.4569

Ara.4569

Oh my, I recently wished GW2 was kickstarting features. I think it would be the only way to get real dev time on PvP.

Balance team is a bunch of clowns, hurting the game to the full extent of their abilities.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Elyndis.2130

Elyndis.2130

I would totally enjoy a jumping puzzle in HotM

One thing I’d like to see in HotM is a FFA arena. Entry flags you for PvP and there’s a waypoint right at the entrance. Maybe make two arenas – a large one, and a small one. The large one would either be a huge zergfest, or, once the hype dies down, a place where people can conduct duels at a reasonable distance from each other.

It would be nice to be able to practice PvP while I wait in queue for my match, and I also really want the ability to conveniently duel with or against people I know. An arena like this would make dueling and pvp more convenient, accessible, and enjoyable imo.

A neat design for that would be a keep. Something with a large, flowery, fielded courtyard at the bottom with a fortified structure. At the top of the tower would be the smaller arena with a nice view of the HotM. An NPC teleports you to either the bottom or the top. The top and bottom could potentially be bridged with a jumping puzzle.

I don’t really care that much about PvE, so queuing outside of HotM doesn’t mean much to me, but HotM isn’t a very fun place. Being able to duel or participate in larger-scale pvp in a pretty, uplifting environment would make HotM way more fun. I think HotM is good design, and I think the solution should be to make it a place where people want to be, rather than making it as irrelevant as possible.

(edited by Elyndis.2130)

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Edgar Doiron.2804

Edgar Doiron.2804

There is one… you can go in the water and there’s a little cave you can go up into.

Forgeman Destroyers [FORD] – Sorrows furnace

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Are there any options on allowing 2 queuing methodologies?

Example:

• In HoTM go with the existing ready up. Default is you have to ready up or opt in.
  • Queue outside and the default is reversed where the player is given the options to dismiss (and thereby receive dishonor) else they are pulled in.

On the AFKer front, could logic be added that if a player does not leave spawn after a defined amount of time they are flagged with a higher dishonor and forced out losing 2 PiPs in the process. Remaining players PiP Gain/Loss is then calculated based on 4v5 situation.

Just a quick thought but, admit would prefer the chance of more AFKers if it granted people the option to queue outside of the mist. You could also add additional incentives to those that still choose to queue inside the mist if that is the location that was preferred to have people in.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

But is it being worked on?!

Definitely on the table.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

And what would happen when you are few steps away from the end of the puzzle and the queue pops?Currently the server puts you at the start of the map every time you
log back in it.
How about a map that remembers your last position in it?

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

And what would happen when you are few steps away from the end of the puzzle and the queue pops?Currently the server puts you at the start of the map every time you
log back in it.
How about a map that remembers your last position in it?

I remember this used to work, I need to go check that out…

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: gacob.1759

gacob.1759

Why not a pause system for the load screen?

Gacob – Main necromancer.
First Season PvP – Diamond II.
Second Season PvP – Diamond by now.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

I think everyone agrees on how this should be implemented. Either queue is paused during load screens, or you’re kicked from queue on load screens. I agree with this.

What I was mentioning earlier is that there are under-appreciated technical hurdles to implementing this that make it non-trivial.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: gacob.1759

gacob.1759

I think everyone agrees on how this should be implemented. Either queue is paused during load screens, or you’re kicked from queue on load screens. I agree with this.

What I was mentioning earlier is that there are under-appreciated technical hurdles to implementing this that make it non-trivial.

Implementhing a pause system or something like that should increase the pvp players.. should be welcome.

Gacob – Main necromancer.
First Season PvP – Diamond II.
Second Season PvP – Diamond by now.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Power.2957

I appreciate that so many people have commented in this thread but I can’t help but feel that suggestions like "add gliding to HotM, " “add a jumping puzzle to HotM,” or “add dueling to HotM” are almost detrimental to the cause.

• Adding gliding to HotM (apparently coming next patch) will do nothing to solve the issue at hand. So instead of auto running for 15 minutes, you want to glide around? What exactly is that going to solve? People will glide around for 2 minutes and then realize that they’re locked in the same, unchanged lobby waiting out their queues. You’ve already seen everything in Heart of the Mists, what are you gonna find with gliding that you haven’t already seen? Not to mention Heart of the Mists has boundaries that teleport you back if you get out too far.
  • Adding a jumping puzzle to HotM will provide at most (and this is being generous) one hour of entertainment. Unless the jumping puzzle is literally Obsidian Sanctum which is massive in scale and is a free for all, adding a jumping puzzle to the mists will do absolutely nothing. Once you’ve completed it, are you going to complete it every day and somehow not get bored? Even if ArenaNet adds a chest to the jump puzzle it won’t be worth it because it’ll be just like every other jump puzzle chest with blues and greens and it’ll only be openable once per day/account because otherwise it would be exploitable and damaging to the economy.
  • Adding dueling to HotM makes no sense since they’ve made custom arenas which can be used for that purpose. I imagine it would be take much less work to simply allow queueing while anywhere (such as while in custom arenas) than it would to build an entirely new while-in-town dueling system. It also does not solve the issue of the staleness of the PvP lobby.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Silly idea. The queue is already long. Now add to that the people doing whatever they are doing in the pve world and ignoring or not seeing the queue pop.

The reason we’re cooped in HOTM is to keep people from wandering off and forgetting about the queue. I imagine they save some communications code and/or lag by not having people spread kitten-to-breakfast.

In this one instance I think ANET has the right idea. Now if we could just get them to approach balance in a logical and consistent manner…

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: philheat.3956

philheat.3956

Ehm….hello?
Any news ?

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Power.2957

Not to detract from their accomplishments, but I fear with the recent news (and repeated emphasis) that ArenaNet have made some changes to the algorithm and seen reductions of up to 4 minutes in queue times, that they may not be looking into this =/

A quick question for all the people kittenponded to this thread asking for gliding in Heart of the Mists: Now that that’s a thing, how much boredom has been alleviated from the lobby while you wait in queues?

EDIT: Apparently writing “who” and “responded” next to each other in a sentence is censored because it could be an attempt to slip the word “vvhore” in.

(edited by Power.2957)

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Michael.9517

Michael.9517

its possible. thats how it was before. It used to be great.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Michael.9517

Michael.9517

its possible. thats how it was before. It used to be great.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Anti.9156

Anti.9156

why not make you leave the q when you enter a loading screen? This way you could still do stuff in pve (by just staying in one map) or go to custom arenas. Just pop up a window thats says something like “leaving this area will make you leave the matchmaking q” when you want to go out of an instance.

Queuing Outside of HotM

in PvP

Posted by: Interpret Interrupt.3824

Interpret Interrupt.3824

I would love to do map completion while waiting for a que.
Do not need nothing special, I just can’t play a million hours a day and I would like to multitask.
I am not asking to fractal or instance, I just want to be able to run around the map and find waypoints.

K Pop
The Warrior, The Necro, The F1 Connoisseur
http://www.twitch.tv/interpretinterrupt