Reaction time

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Narcarsis.5739

Narcarsis.5739

For everyone who’s ever told me that .25s reaction time is impossible.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9453/2xif.png

That was my first try. Give it a go: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/reaction_version5.swf

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

0.25 is below average, who said that? 0.17 is really good btw. If I’m remembering right, human average is 0.19-0.22, and 0.12-0.14 is where records get broken. You’re about 3 hundredths of a second faster than average, or 15%, which is a significant way along the bell curve.

There’s a caveat of course, in that it deteriorates significantly unless you’re specifically waiting for something and have a simple response to it, i.e waiting to click when you see something move.

The other caveat in games is latency. Mine is already 0.23s, add on my average reactions and it’s 0.43, nearly half a second before I can react to something. That’s about equivalent to someone who is falling down drunk but is playing from next door to the server. It’s much easier for me to fight more linear classes, like stun warriors and other necros, because they’re easier to predict, and you simply have to predict with that kind of delay.

Latency is the big one really. With your reaction time, if you’re playing at 100ms, you’re responding slower than someone who is below average but has 40ms.

Hydration plays a fairly big role in reaction time too btw, so break out the sweatbands

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

(edited by Mammoth.1975)

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

as hard as i tried i couldn’t get rocketing-rabbit

http://i.imgur.com/qk8eEpv.jpg

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

Gah, to be young again. My old reflexes can barely break .2 these days.

Now if only I didn’t have 280ms pings to GW2.

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

Reaction time

in PvP

Narcarsis.5739

Several people tried to argue it and say that you couldn’t react to a backstab combo (.25 seconds) quite a few months ago. Just figured I’d provide something for people to practice with.

The average reaction time for finger movement is .215. So you’re about right there. Anything lower than .1 is generally considered anticipation and is inconsistent.

Reaction time

in PvP

Narcarsis.5739

Glad to see people trying it, I thought it was fun ^^

Wouldn’t mind seeing more people post their times.

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Jumper.9482

Jumper.9482

high 0.16’s avg with the occasional 0.2’s
I don’t think I’ve ever been hit by a backstab combo by a D/D thief.

Ps: I practice with Osu! I used to have a ~.25 reaction time at one point.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Jump-s-Ultimate-PvP-Teef-Wishlist-Jump-Doc/
Winner of Curse’s NA Masters Tournament
twitch.tv/loljumper

(edited by Jumper.9482)

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Jumper.9482

Jumper.9482

For D/P, however, it seems like the aftercast from Heartseeker is about twice as short (possibly faster) in comparison to Cloak and Dagger.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Jump-s-Ultimate-PvP-Teef-Wishlist-Jump-Doc/
Winner of Curse’s NA Masters Tournament
twitch.tv/loljumper

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

Olympic sprinters have been measured to have reaction times of 0.109 seconds in one out of every 1000 starts.

Pushing off the blocks faster than 0.1 seconds is a false start due to the impossibility of the human brain processing the starting gun.

With all that in mind, I’d say .25 is pretty decent.

Reaction time

in PvP

Mammoth.1975

Several people tried to argue it and say that you couldn’t react to a backstab combo (.25 seconds) quite a few months ago. Just figured I’d provide something for people to practice with.

The average reaction time for finger movement is .215. So you’re about right there. Anything lower than .1 is generally considered anticipation and is inconsistent.

Well, definitely possible, but you do have to account for the caveats. Basically, it can be done if they know it’s coming and are waiting for it, they’re not otherwise occupied, they know how they’re going to respond so their fingers are over the right key/s, they have at least average reactions, and 25ms or less latency. That will allow them to respond at .24s.

Although there’s a few more things on top of that if we really want to get down to hundredths of a second. If they’re using a wireless input device it’s going to add up to 30ms, a good wired gaming device will be 8ms, keypress sensitivity also has an effect as it does take several milliseconds for keys to be depressed enough to register, so on and so forth.

So really you’re looking at gaming peripherals and a 15-20ms latency for someone with average reactions to be able to respond to an event in less than a quarter second, and then only if they are doing nothing but waiting for that event. You can expand that latency window up to 120-130ms if you have peak human reactions, but then you should be too busy being an ace of aces or competing in the olympics or something to be playing gw2.

(edited by Mammoth.1975)

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Eviator.9746

Eviator.9746

0.27 seconds for me. It’s not a really good test for gaming purposes, though IMO. You are hovering your mouse to execute a specific reaction to a specific stimulus you know is about to happen. That’s not gaming conditions, at least in my case.

Interestingly I tried it with my eyes closed and reacted about 0.05 faster. I’m also a few hundredths faster with my peripheral vision.

Sheldor the Eidetic (Group Engi) | Shorty McShinkicker (Solo Engi) |Turanga (Solo Mes)
Doing what I can for DB during EU primetime

(edited by Eviator.9746)

Reaction time

in PvP

Narcarsis.5739

0.27 seconds for me. It’s not a really good test for gaming purposes, though IMO. You are hovering your mouse to execute a specific reaction to a specific stimulus you know is about to happen. That’s not gaming conditions, at least in my case.

Could argue that. My thumb is always on my side mouse button, which is my shadowstep. Visual perception and reaction to those stimuli are improved with practice. It’s the same concept as seeing a stun come at me, a thief jump me, a mesmer pop mirror images on me. You see it and you click.

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

you are pretty much prepared for it and you lose nothing for clicking when the sheep is out…this has nothing to relate to the actually gaming, pvp, fps….theres so many other factors.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Issues.5789

Issues.5789

That was my first try. Give it a go: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/reaction_version5.swf

OOOO! wut up now

Attachments:

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

OOOO! wut up now

OOOO! wut up now

It’s not a really good test for gaming purposes, though IMO.

Maybe not for a game like this. For fps games is a different story imo.

Attachments:

(edited by Fjandi.2516)

Reaction time

in PvP

Narcarsis.5739

OOOO! wut up now

OOOO! wut up now

It’s not a really good test for gaming purposes, though IMO.

Maybe not for a game like this. For fps games is a different story imo.

Nice! I’ve already improved mine but I want all .10 before I post again xD

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

I didn’t know GW2 PVP was all about spotting giant white sheep on a bright green background without any distracting shapes, colours or effects. I must be playing the wrong game. Which way to the PVP room?

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: JoopFOX.9510

JoopFOX.9510

How and where can I see my latency?

Professor James – Mesmer

Reaction time

in PvP

Narcarsis.5739

I didn’t know GW2 PVP was all about spotting giant white sheep on a bright green background without any distracting shapes, colours or effects. I must be playing the wrong game. Which way to the PVP room?

All of my targets in this game are sheep.

Reaction time

in PvP

Issues.5789

All of my targets in this game are sheep.

seriously lol’d lost it lmao..
to the dude that got 15 seconds, GG! , I was so close to 13 once, but I got those double sheeps and it ruined me ;(

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Authority.6145

Authority.6145

If you want super amazing reaction times to break the world record of guinness then you gotta get jiggy with the steortypes and replace the sheep with the attachment.

Get on my level son.

Attachments:

Reaction time

in PvP

Issues.5789

If you want super amazing reaction times to break the world record of guinness then you gotta get jiggy with the steortypes and replace the sheep with the attachment.

Get on my level son.

thats a tarp. no thanks jeffery.

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: The Gates Assassin.9827

The Gates Assassin.9827

Speed has three things that make it up:

• Reaction Speed – How long it takes you to realize something is happening that requires a reaction.
  • Decision Speed – How long it takes you to decide what you want to do about it.
  • Action Speed – How long it takes you to do the action required.

That game pretty much eliminates Decision and Action speed all together. It also simplified Reaction speed by making the stimuli expected. Guild Wars 2 requires that you know exactly what skill you need to use against that stimuli and most skills will have a cast time. You also have to move your finger to the button required. There’s ways to reduce it, but really, anything less than 3/4 is nigh impossible to react to effectively, let alone interrupt.

Main: Raine Avina (Engineer)
Message me any time in game.

Reaction time

in PvP

Issues.5789

• Reaction Speed – How long it takes you to realize something is happening that requires a reaction.
  • Decision Speed – How long it takes you to decide what you want to do about it.

That game pretty much eliminates Decision and Action speed all together. It also simplified Reaction speed by making the stimuli expected. Guild Wars 2 requires that you know exactly what skill you need to use against that stimuli and most skills will have a cast time. You also have to move your finger to the button required. There’s ways to reduce it, but really, anything less than 3/4 is nigh impossible to react to effectively, let alone interrupt.

There are so many things in this game that are instant cast so you literally have no time to react as you have no forewarning as what is going to happen; you just have to guess as to their next move and anticipate a lot.

Reaction time

in PvP

Narcarsis.5739

Disagreed. As said above me you learn how people play, what they do in reaction to X, when they heal, etc. You anticipate and prepare for it, and the game turns into clicking sheep. All of my targets in this game are sheep.

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: The Gates Assassin.9827

The Gates Assassin.9827

Disagreed. As said above me you learn how people play, what they do in reaction to X, when they heal, etc. You anticipate and prepare for it, and the game turns into clicking sheep. All of my targets in this game are sheep.

Then interrupt my healing turret. 1/2 second cast shouldn’t be too hard to nab.

Main: Raine Avina (Engineer)
Message me any time in game.

Reaction time

in PvP

Narcarsis.5739

Then interrupt my healing turret. 1/2 second cast shouldn’t be too hard to nab.

I have interrupted countless healing turrets and healing springs. I fail to see what you’re trying to accomplish.

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

Well I don’t like that the sheep teleport out randomly out of nowhere, and the
placement of the button feels extremely off, and the lack of immersion because
of the small sqare, but whatever… i did it a few times, average is something between
0.16 – 0.17 I guess but even stuff like 0.8 is possible, but kitten I hate this game for some reason >.>

OOOO! wut up now

0 seconds, sound like an lucky too early click…^^

Nice! I’ve already improved mine but I want all .10 before I post again xD

Good luck with that, but you better don’t use a bot for this.

Ps: I practice with Osu! I used to have a ~.25 reaction time at one point.

This, Osu is a very good practice.

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

Personally I would prefer playing a game like Osu (if you haven’t heard of it http://osu.ppy.sh/ ). The game itself allows you to accomplish more than mouse control and accuracy but also reaction speed. Playing on the hardest difficulty of course is the way to go about it.

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Acandis.3250

Acandis.3250

Seeing as how you’ve shown me that maybe like 3 months ago. And that screenshot is pretty recent, I’m gonna have to say that was not your first try ;D

Reaction time

in PvP

Narcarsis.5739

Seeing as how you’ve shown me that maybe like 3 months ago. And that screenshot is pretty recent, I’m gonna have to say that was not your first try ;D

First try in 3 months. Enemy got on TS and linked it again.

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

How and where can I see my latency?

Open Resource Monitor and GW2
Type /ip in GW2 chat
Match your GW2 server IP to the GW2 IP in resource monitor (there will be more than one).

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Jonwar.9205

Jonwar.9205

Bit drunk atm, but gave it a go. Technically a second try as I moved my mouse off the thing because I thought I was supposed to actually click the sheep the first go around :P

Ended up with 0.1766

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m549/John80sk1/Untitled.png

With latency though, reacting (properly) in under .25s seems… unlikely. If we assume even a 100ms latency we’re already over the top, not to mention it’s a complex not a simple reaction like this game is. Fun test regardless, couldn’t give it a third go as the sheep noises were about as irritating as it could get.

Hurr Durr Blades – PvP Warrior
Jangeol – WvW Warrior

(edited by Jonwar.9205)

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

DID I WIN GUYS?

Attachments:

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Evilek.5690

Evilek.5690

0.0000 not bad =)

Attachments:

Evilek lvl 80 Charr Thief Why no ?
Fredy Brimstone lvl 80 Mighty Warrior
Oupí lvl 80 Immortal Guardian

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

I had 0.1668. Second try though.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I don’t have the best reaction time, but I can anticipate. I pulled off 0.050 and two 0.00. Saved a screeny for posterity
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/542/k7av.png/

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Reaction time

in PvP

Mammoth.1975

Could argue that. My thumb is always on my side mouse button, which is my shadowstep. Visual perception and reaction to those stimuli are improved with practice. It’s the same concept as seeing a stun come at me, a thief jump me, a mesmer pop mirror images on me. You see it and you click.

There’s an extra decision step though, with multiple possible decisions. Rather than ‘click when anything happens’ it’s ‘click my thumb mouse button if this happens, press 2 if that happens, press 3 if nothing happens, swap weapons if’, etc etc. I don’t recall how much difference it makes, but I’m pretty sure it was significant. But yes, if you’re expecting a particular event and have your response already planned, you can react to quarter second events, given low enough latency.

(edited by Mammoth.1975)

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Interpret Interrupt.3824

Interpret Interrupt.3824

Funny thing is, I reacted to the sound of the sheep faster than the eye motion. I vote for more skill sounds.

K Pop
The Warrior, The Necro, The F1 Connoisseur
http://www.twitch.tv/interpretinterrupt

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

cute game..but ping, as stated will ultimately affect everything.

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Harrier.9380

Harrier.9380

Ranging between 0.17-0.25, maybe I’ll try again once I get some sleep.

@Kpop I’m completely opposite, doing it with closed eyes doubles my reaction time.

“Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit,
because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure.”

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Vuh.1328

Vuh.1328

Funny thing is, I reacted to the sound of the sheep faster than the eye motion. I vote for more skill sounds.

More distinct skill sounds!
KITTEN YEAH

Take your time to learn proper keybinding, it’s worth the struggle

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: DoYourBestBear.6810

DoYourBestBear.6810

I just worked 12 hours and read this thread first. I’ll try again after I get some sleep.

Attachments:

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Hyxorcisten.5786

Hyxorcisten.5786

Hyxorcisten – Denial eSports [Den]

(edited by Hyxorcisten.5786)

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

If you anticipate something happening its not a true measure of reaction time. True reaction time has to be to something unexpected.

Lets say you see a thief coming towards you and go into stealth…how fast do you react?
Lets say you don’t see anyone and a thief opens on you..how fast do you react?

I am guessing the latter is considerably slower. Reflex isn’t the same as reaction, you have have fast reflexes but be slow to react to the unexpected.

(edited by Conan.8046)

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: RaynStargaze.6510

RaynStargaze.6510

first attempt
0.23 on average
0.16 best 0.34 worst

am i cool now?

fun little test anyway

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

This isn’t accurate at all in a game there are many factors.

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

I am 61 years old and averaged Bobbing bobcat, or around .22 to .28…

In my opinion, there always needs to be some classes for less-quick humans like me who are at a disadvantage right out of the gate.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

I am a Bobbing Cat but occasionally a Rocketing Rabbit.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Reaction time

in PvP

Posted by: Interpret Interrupt.3824

Interpret Interrupt.3824

More distinct skill sounds!
KITTEN YEAH

I come from third person shooters, so everyone can see things. The advantage is hearing them. I play with sound fx all the way up. And 9/10 times I hear illusionary leap before I see it. Too lots of skills in this game don’t have unique sounds.

K Pop
The Warrior, The Necro, The F1 Connoisseur
http://www.twitch.tv/interpretinterrupt