Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

Anet please do not implement a nerf to rerollers with 5 character slots that also penalizes players with more than 8 character slots.

Birthday presents, exclusive makeover kit appearances, and dye unlocks are already a good foundation on nerfing rerollers, but I have a better solution for numero uno in mind – me.

If a player unlocks something for spvp than all existing character classes have it unlocked, account bound, for spvp.

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

How expensive are these trait unlocks going to be? If it’s not going to break the bank to reroll, unlock the traits, try out the build in question, and then delete the character, it’s not too much of an issue.

On the other hand, so much of a player’s success in PvP stems from the ability to “reroll” and try a class/build to better understand it. This is how players have gotten around the less-than-obvious (or even hidden, like instant cast and crit procs) skill/character animations. It’s also how players stay relevant in your wildly swinging meta game.

Hell, half of balance discussions on this board revolve around “try the class/build yourself before calling it OP”.

The fact that you haven’t even looked at the data yet for how often PvP players reroll tells me you Devs haven’t thought this through nearly enough.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

The fact that you haven’t even looked at the data yet for how often PvP players reroll tells me you Devs haven’t thought this through nearly enough.

They did…don’t worry

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

Just make unlocks account bound in PvP, problem solved XD

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

find out just how common re-rolling is for PvPers.

ahahaha

Attachments:

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

As an altoholic, I feel your pain. I’ll need to take a look at the data tomorrow, find out just how common re-rolling is for PvPers.

The fact that this is even a thing that’s up for discussion is beyond me. The whole reason why SPvP was ever a invitation to begin with was because of the simple fact that once you’re in heart of the mists, you have access to everything. Period. No chance of being disappointed if the class is something different from what you expected, and minimal time is wasted. But now you think it’s a good idea to technically “tax” the new content in which you add to the game and think it’s a type of progression when it comes to SPvP?

Theory crafting builds should be fun, not a chore. Not to mention easy access to switching builds instead of relying on character swaps every time you feel like changing something in your build, god forbid. What you’re doing is going to backfire in the long run in my opinion if this keeps up.

Countless

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

As an altoholic, I feel your pain. I’ll need to take a look at the data tomorrow, find out just how common re-rolling is for PvPers.

The fact that this is even a thing that’s up for discussion is beyond me. The whole reason why SPvP was ever a invitation to begin with was because of the simple fact that once you’re in heart of the mists, you have access to everything. Period. No chance of being disappointed if the class is something different from what you expected, and minimal time is wasted. But now you think it’s a good idea to technically “tax” the new content in which you add to the game and think it’s a type of progression when it comes to SPvP?

Theory crafting builds should be fun, not a chore. Not to mention easy access to switching builds instead of relying on character swaps every time you feel like changing something in your build, god forbid. What you’re doing is going to backfire in the long run in my opinion if this keeps up.

Countless

Backfire in the long run? That ship has sailed…pvp population is non-existent.

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

Countless

Backfire in the long run? That ship has sailed…pvp population is non-existent.

It can always get worse.

Countless

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Admiral Zombie.8624

Admiral Zombie.8624

I know there was some hate for the idea of unlocking skills/traits in another thread. To me that is a little ridiculous thing to get up in arms about. Looking back on GW1 that system worked just fine, and there were tons more to unlock.

But again looking at the GW1 system, I think it would be a huge shame if skill and trait unlocks are character bound, rather than account bound like GW1.

We’re seeing a bunch of changes so that things are account bound in other areas of the game (Dyes just released today, as well as armor and weapon skins.) So while it may not be account bound planned at this moment, I do have hope that Anet would keep the system of account bound the same across the game.

It would be reasonable to have account bound for sPvP at least, and not so for PvE and WvW. Those being so much more profitable than sPvP I would be fine with that. Working to unlock things for sPvP can be slower so long as you only have to ever unlock it once to be used in sPvP.

EDIT: Also, I hope the decision isn’t made purely based on how often people reroll characters now for sPvP. The system already discourages rerolling with the current system for skins and dyes.

Once the recently announced armor/dye system goes through, people will be far more likely to reroll what would be just sPvP characters I believe, so using the data for rerolling now may be significantly different later.

(edited by Admiral Zombie.8624)

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

I know there was some hate for the idea of unlocking skills/traits in another thread. To me that is a little ridiculous thing to get up in arms about. Looking back on GW1 that system worked just fine, and there were tons more to unlock.

But again looking at the GW1 system, I think it would be a huge shame if skill and trait unlocks are character bound, rather than account bound like GW1.

We’re seeing a bunch of changes so that things are account bound in other areas of the game (Dyes just released today, as well as armor and weapon skins.) So while it may not be account bound planned at this moment, I do have hope that Anet would keep the system of account bound the same across the game.

It would be reasonable to have account bound for sPvP at least, and not so for PvE and WvW. Those being so much more profitable than sPvP I would be fine with that. Working to unlock things for sPvP can be slower so long as you only have to ever unlock it once to be used in sPvP.

EDIT: Also, I hope the decision isn’t made purely based on how often people reroll characters now for sPvP. The system already discourages rerolling with the current system for skins and dyes.

Once the recently announced armor/dye system goes through, people will be far more likely to reroll what would be just sPvP characters I believe, so using the data for rerolling now may be significantly different later.

They have stated the reason for unlocks as not wanting to confuse new players. That’s a crock. So once you have removed that line to thinking, there is no good reason to keep unlocks in pvp as part of the game.

Just to clarify, I’ll tell you why it’s a bunch of bologna. There is absolutely no “tutorials” for new pvp players and they’re already allowed to be thrust right into the current game systems of hotjoin and ranked matches.

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: KarsaiB.9475

KarsaiB.9475

Even tho I started doing some pve like 6 months after release, Ive been strictly playing pvp since beta and got my first level 80 around march 2012, even tho I was playing at least 4 hours a day before that. I was willing to learn all classes somewhat completely to play as best as possible and from the top of my head, here’s a little fun count.
From what I can remember, I created 5 necromancers, 4 mesmers, 5 elementalists, 5 engis, 6 thieves, 4 rangers, 2 guardians and 7 warriors. I’m not even counting my 2 smurf accounts So ye.

The go-into-pvp-everything’s-free policy was yours from the start in regards of pvp. Please don’t change it now.

55 HP Monks // Random scrubadub

(edited by KarsaiB.9475)

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Re-rolling based on traits being account bound is a moot point now. Why? because of the way we have to transmute armor and weapons now with the feature build. Unless you plan on spending a lot of your gold or hard earned real world cash —and time to re-unlock traits again-— you aren’t going to delete toons anymore. One of the initial draws that gamers see with GW2 is that there is no barrier to entry for PvP. I don’t have to get to a certain level like other games, I don’t have to earn skills in PvE so I can play PvP. This is all gone now because this shift in design occurred.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: RustyEyeballs.8927

RustyEyeballs.8927

One of the reasons I played GW2 in the first place was the 0 barrier-to-entry for PvP. The ability to instantly reroll try out all classes, and learn all the builds out there.

All the changes made so far just seem to point to migrating the PvP populace over the PvE.

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Mythoryk.7984

Mythoryk.7984

If you really consider the functions and dysfunctions of having trait unlocks be soulbound, the dysfunctions greatly outway the functions.

In fact, I’m entirely confused as to why it would be a problem for trait unlocks to be account bound. Having trait unlocks account bound would only benefit pvp players. Those PvE players with multiple of a single profession (a rarity, to say the least) would still focus on a primary character due to the treadmill for ascended gear.

I mean… someone, please correct me if I’m wrong. The initial unlock would still serve its primary function (to incorporate the player base into forgotten content areas), but subsequent unlocks on rerolling and character recreation would be salvaged.

So, with that being said, why is this an issue? Make the trait unlocks account bound and start working toward a template system for traits.

Mythoryk: (Sorrow’s Furnace)
Guild: [CoSA]

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

One of the reasons I played GW2 in the first place was the 0 barrier-to-entry for PvP. The ability to instantly reroll try out all classes, and learn all the builds out there.

All the changes made so far just seem to point to migrating the PvP populace over the PvE.

That’s one of the reasons many of us played GW2.

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Acaro.4067

Acaro.4067

I just can’t get what Anets thinking about making trait unloxks characterbound. Didn’t they just finally change almost every key system in GW2 to be accountbound as the players wanted? Why would they as they introduce a new system make the same mistake again? WHY?!

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

I’m in favour of unlocks for gold/gems/skillpoints/souls of innocents/hearts of server programmers/whatevers, but I do think thjey should be account bound…

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Please make it like skill unlock in PvP. They are automatically unlocked. Make the new traits automatically unlocked too, only in PvP. PvP should always stay free of requirement, and absolute equality of power.

Don’t allow power creep in pvp!

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: jihm.2315

jihm.2315

a way to punish fotm rerollers?
i support.

action combat made mmos better lol

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

i support.

FOTM rerollers shine a harsher light on in game imbalances. Without them, the devs will take a little longer to fix broken specs.

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: jihm.2315

jihm.2315

i support.

FOTM rerollers shine a harsher light on in game imbalances. Without them, the devs will take a little longer to fix broken specs.

still having people running op builds for so long time its unacceptable atleast they will get reduced, what worst than having 2 hambow warriors at same spot? having 3.

action combat made mmos better lol

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

who cares, unlocks are relatively cheap and most of them are garbage and not worth using for pvp.

As for the new build stuff… I’m too attached to my second guardian but the loss in value is also eating at my soul. Such dilemma

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

I think the fundamental issue is that you don’t have enough character slots for one of each class. So at some point in time, you either are compelled to buy more character slots (which personally I feel is quite fair) or you will delete characters/alts to make room.

One thing I would look at is how much revenue is really being generated from buying character slots versus the revenue that could be anticipated if players tried additional classes (having 8 slots) and then bought gear/bonuses for them?

I have a sneaky suspicion that there would be a real advantage to upping the number of free character spots.

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: BeardRex.6739

BeardRex.6739

unlocked traits and skills (per profession) should be account bound, even if you delete the character. Does that solve the problem? It seems in-line with the new system.

Honestly, people need to stop quoting Anets original philosophy behind sPvP. sPvP is changing because the old philosophy works well in a game that has a huge hardcore esport crowd with a constant influx of new players. Back when GW2 came out, people actually thought a PvP-only version of the game would become available for free eventually.

sPvP does have a small hardcore crowd and small tournaments, and that’s cool, but the game doesn’t need to hold true to its original philosophy because the original philosophy included sPvP being really popular. The best way to help sPvP at this time is to bring PvEers, and not living in denial that systems that are no longer applicable can be fixed. That means bringing in the PvEer mentality: more progression, more unlocks.

But look on the bright side: The game not becoming an huge esport means more than likely they will be develop more game modes, since before they wanted to balance PvP around 1 game mode (like most esports do).

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Oni Link.4621

Oni Link.4621

I would really like to see the option to “change class” in HOTM without changing character.
Like a “Class choice panel” where you just press a button and BAM! your character is still the same but your class have changed.
It would help a LOT but I guess that coding this would be a nightmare since the original code was not planned to support such feature.

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: HallusH.3987

HallusH.3987

It is not just PVP, the gated alts slots also limits your PVE in areas like achievements or just actually PLAYING the game for what you are already PAID for.

So the point is, stuff like traits reset anywhere was in the game, it was gated by the same GEMs price.
transmute same thing.
So with making these 2 feel like more “ok” so more would use it.
means what we get is 1 core game improvement that is no longer gems gated.
and making transmute more “in your face” improved yes. but it is their way to pull a LoL, dota2 , tf2, cs go type system.
which “should” be fine IF you get a decent chance to get these by playing the actual game with the rewards system.

Maybe on gemstore 3.0 …

Rerolling NERFED [PvP]

in PvP

Posted by: Gorni.1764

Gorni.1764

i support.

+1

People constantly complain about fotm-players without skill that steamroll over others just because of broken/bugged class-mechanics or traits/spells, yet you guys want to keep rerolling without any restriction? Seriously this would be one of the best changes ever made to PvP in terms of class-variety and balance.

Rachat – Elementalist (Abbadon’s Mouth)