S2 From a High-Level Player's View

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

If all the better than average players progress and the less than average are left behindbat the start of the season doesn’t that mean the less than average willbface the new players and each other? Then its only a matter of them increasing there skill level by watching top tier streams or tournaments in order to get better? So this matchmaking actually makes sense then..

It does make sense, but the first week or so until the good players are out of that division it’s hell on poor players. That said, that’s part of competition, and why I urge people to just play Unranked. People like to get their feathers fluffed over it, but I mean… That’s what it’s there for, for people who don’t want the hussle and bustle of Ranked game play and getting thrown around. Maybe a week after Unranked people would get their confidence (and skill?) up a bit and the better players would have moved on, and try again.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: jessiestiles.9437

jessiestiles.9437

We are not begging for fairness. We are asking for something that remotely resembles functionality.

And in a lot of ways, it does. If within a low division, as people grow out of them, you still struggle super hard to get out of the lowest division, either not enough people have left it yet or you’re just not really cut out for making higher tiers yet. It’s brutal, but that’s how competitive environments work.

About the ONLY legitimate concern I have for people losing a lot is “what happens if you’re in a tail spin on MMR?” But I think people are grossly over-attributing how their loss of MMR affects their performance. I think there is a lot of personal growth requires and more than ever, it’s becoming very obvious to people that they aren’t as good as they thought due to the Unranked system trying to create “fair” match ups.

I hate to say it, but there are just some really bad people trying to push through this “Ranked” gameplay that aren’t cut out for it. Last night, last tier of Emerald that pushed me into Sapphire, a team mate DCed over and over, couldn’t stay on. We won 500-150 4v5, and was camping them at their base… I felt sort of had for them, but at the same time, I just don’t see them being in higher divisions. I think some people would have more fun if they just cut their losses and played in Unranked so they can have their performance off-set a bit.

The way you ‘think’ the system is supposed to work is not how it works. In theory it is how it is supposed to be. If a strong player is placed on a team that can’t beat you 5v4 what about them? They’re an unintended consequence. This is what most people here are complaining about. And in theory if there was as much truth to what you are saying it’s still not healthy for the game to marginalise and exclude a good percentage of the players.

in PvP

Posted by: Eater of Peeps.9062

Eater of Peeps.9062

If all the better than average players progress and the less than average are left behindbat the start of the season doesn’t that mean the less than average willbface the new players and each other? Then its only a matter of them increasing there skill level by watching top tier streams or tournaments in order to get better? So this matchmaking actually makes sense then..

It does make sense, but the first week or so until the good players are out of that division it’s hell on poor players. That said, that’s part of competition, and why I urge people to just play Unranked. People like to get their feathers fluffed over it, but I mean… That’s what it’s there for, for people who don’t want the hussle and bustle of Ranked game play and getting thrown around. Maybe a week after Unranked people would get their confidence (and skill?) up a bit and the better players would have moved on, and try again.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

snip

There may be a few swept up in unfortunate circumstances, but here’s my point. First off, these players got out on that team in the first place because the game saw them at a similar MMR. It’s not like they were placed with people that were significantly lower than their MMR (which can happen in Unranked, when they try to balance the MMRs across team). Secondly, because the old Unranked system tried to balance teams, people get under this assumption that because their win ratio is 50-55% elsewhere that they are at least average players or better. Many players have convinced themselves that they are better than they truly are, and that’s another unfortunate side effect of this new system. Some people are getting a dose of reality but they are the same people who blame the system rather than themselves.

Point is, I think people are over-attributing their losses to the “system”, and are under-attributing their losses to their lack of skill.

And I’m not sure why people get floored by the suggestion, but que up with a couple buddies to get yourself out of the rut you’re in. You have the power to fix the rut if you think you’re just being wronged, que with better players which should help your MMR.

(edited by ronpierce.2760)

in PvP

Posted by: UmbraNoctis.1907

UmbraNoctis.1907

The way you ‘think’ the system is supposed to work is not how it works. In theory it is how it is supposed to be. If a strong player is placed on a team that can’t beat you 5v4 what about them? They’re an unintended consequence. This is what most people here are complaining about. And in theory if there was as much truth to what you are saying it’s still not healthy for the game to marginalise and exclude a good percentage of the players.

If a strong player is placed on a very weak team then either the teams has way too high MMR or the strong player has too low MMR. Is this possible? Yes, sure. Does it happen very often? If yes, then no MMR based system would work, because it means, MMR isn’t accurate enough. Since the old system seemed to work well, MMR for most player must be accurate enough to work in the current system too (Again – for accounts with halfways stable MMR).

in PvP

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

I haven’t had confidence in ANet for some time to manage such things. Part of me hopes that they just drop this ESL pro leagues and focus on making the game better instead of making a small % of people happy.

They just keep shooting themselves in the foot.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

I haven’t had confidence in ANet for some time to manage such things. Part of me hopes that they just drop this ESL pro leagues and focus on making the game better instead of making a small % of people happy.

They just keep shooting themselves in the foot.

This system can work just fine in the future IF they give higher tier players Division bumps in future seasons so we can skip right past this initial turbulence.

in PvP

Posted by: Wayland.3528

Wayland.3528

Moving along fine… lose a few matches due to teammates making a bad decision or two and afks. The death spiral begins, your teammates get worse and worse and you are always now matched against higher MMRs and you never recover. Welcome to Season 2.

Death for the solo player.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

snip

There may be a few swept up in unfortunate circumstances, but here’s my point. First off, these players got out on that team in the first place because the game saw them at a similar MMR. It’s not like they were placed with people that were significantly lower than their MMR (which can happen in Unranked, when they try to balance the MMRs across team). Secondly, because the old Unranked system tried to balance teams, people get under this assumption that because their win ratio is 50-55% elsewhere that they are at least average players or better. Many players have convinced themselves that they are better than they truly are, and that’s another unfortunate side effect of this new system. Some people are getting a dose of reality but they are the same people who blame the system rather than themselves.

Point is, I think people are over-attributing their losses to the “system”, and are under-attributing their losses to their lack of skill.

And I’m not sure why people get floored by the suggestion, but que up with a couple buddies to get yourself out of the rut you’re in. You have the power to fix the rut of you think you’re just being wronged, que with better players which should help your MMR.

Couldn’t say this better.

Also, this is Sunday 4 pm HotM. I don’t see that many amber icons. Apparently majority is NOT sitting in 100 games loss streaks.

Attachments:

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Tandruill.1096

Tandruill.1096

I think I’m an average player and i like the new system way more than the old one.
I have lower queue times (1-4mins, only solo queue) and my matches where easy in amber/emerald but tend to get harder now. For me this is exactly how it should be. I’m aware, that i won’t reach legendary or diamond, but that’s how it should be, cause only the best player should end up there.

Rock is overpowered, please nerf. Paper is fine, keep it as it is.
Yours,
Scissors

(edited by Tandruill.1096)

in PvP

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

This system can work just fine in the future IF…

There is no magic bullet.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

so – why no resetting mmr complety by start of Season for everyone? at least lets us know how we are rated.
played 2 k games ranked…5 classes class champion ( i know thats ist nothing, really nothing about skill) but just a lil xp ( rotation and things like that)
but seeing ppl 4 man svanir or going to cap Close with 3 man makes me rage, even if ya told them b4 not do creatures or asking for splitt up.

luckily i win 2/10… when winning ist like you solo 3 opponets at once.

if i am much worse then i thought im pretty ok with that BUT
i simply dont get why ppl never played pvp can have 20+ winstreak then, ppl without using any build, ppl joined 2 weeks ago.

and why i didnt have one guy in about 20 games today with a simple titel like legendary champion…the highest ranked title i had in my team was ranksacker… ( yeah still know titles arent worth anything, but generally still an indicator of xp)

there could be the rumour that there are “luck accounts” in pvp now too!

besides all i still like ya game hardly, never had any complain since release.

if something went wrong tell us, just say…
so ppl cant stop waste time till then.

cheers

People already stop wasting their time in GW2’s free hand out or kick down pvp system. Soon enoth all the pvpers left after all is said and done are either going to be elitist teams vs the carried elitists teams, and then the situation just starts again but in the higher divisions. I can also expect the people who are not new to pvp but don’t feel like dealing having to try out for a elitist pvp team to have give in the towel after a few weeks of being fed to the so called better players.

It’s only going to be a matter of time before even the dumb players see this farce for what it is. Then what is Anet going to do when you only have 20 to 40 players interested in your pvp game mode?

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in PvP

Posted by: Corp Por.1567

Corp Por.1567

I don’t really care WHAT division my skill puts me in, I just want fun, even, engaging matches. I do not want to continue to steam roll teams or be steam rolled. These are NOT fun matches. I do not want to WAIT for the ladders to ‘balance out’ Winning 500-50 or losing 500-50 isn’t fun for anyone.

If PVP continues like this I’ll just walk and find another game. Over half of the casual pvp’ers in my guild have quit from being steam rolled. (they only made it to emerald last season). No they aren’t ESL material, but in reality, how many of us are? Do they not deserve fun engaging matches? Why do they have to be fodder for the people ‘climbing’ to their destination.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

I don’t really care WHAT division my skill puts me in, I just want fun, even, engaging matches. I do not want to continue to steam roll teams or be steam rolled. These are NOT fun matches. I do not want to WAIT for the ladders to ‘balance out’ Winning 500-50 or losing 500-50 isn’t fun for anyone.

If PVP continues like this I’ll just walk and find another game. Over half of the casual pvp’ers in my guild have quit from being steam rolled. (they only made it to emerald last season). No they aren’t ESL material, but in reality, how many of us are? Do they not deserve fun engaging matches? Why do they have to be fodder for the people ‘climbing’ to their destination.

Then play unranked… That’s what it is forUse it. I don’t understand this mindset of “I MUST play competitive Ranked and be winning in order to play GW2”. There is a place for everyone that never goes away and still adds to reward tracks, just use it. If you absolutely must play Ranked, then team up. You’re in a guild, team up… A little coordination, you shouldn’t lose 20 in a row…

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

Lol Easter of Peeps, I’m sure you’re an amazingly skillful player.
And don’t at all seem like someone who would give up and rage at the team if they are down 50 points.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

A complete professional like OP must be respected. In fact his views should be fast tracked to anet and adapted into the game. That has work so well previously right?? RIGHT?

O yeh…nah it didnt. Listening to the community too much = madness for developers. They are devs, you are players. Give feedback fine. But anet have done too much listening

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

I am skilled. I NEVER give up. AND I never rage at players, even when their down 500 pts to 0. The only thing that makes me rage is unfairness, smugness, and ppl who do what anet doesn’t want me to say on the forum – u know, not playing the way the game is intended for fairness. That’s it. So take ur sarcasm and use it on someone else. The rage is coming from days of being stuck in the same pip and being forced to play w/ bottom feeders for a long time.

in PvP

Posted by: Dirtyrascal.1023

Dirtyrascal.1023

And don’t at all seem like someone who would give up and rage at the team if they are down 50 points.

He’s frustrated because of people like you. You are clearly not very well informed and choose to ignore all the genuine frustration that a lot of people are experiencing with the current matchmaking design.

Please just go and play the game… why tickle someone’s catastrophe? People are upset that their favourite game mode is nolonger fun for them. You seem to be enjoying that. Please just close your browser and go and enjoy the game.

in PvP

jessiestiles.9437

snip

And I’m not sure why people get floored by the suggestion, but que up with a couple buddies to get yourself out of the rut you’re in. You have the power to fix the rut of you think you’re just being wronged, que with better players which should help your MMR.

Also, this is Sunday 4 pm HotM. I don’t see that many amber icons. Apparently majority is NOT sitting in 100 games loss streaks.

Maybe the ambers on losing streaks quit to do something else more produtive and/or enjoyable and you are unknowingly arguing in favor of irrepairably damaged game.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

He’s frustrated because of people like you. You are clearly not very well informed and choose to ignore all the genuine frustration that a lot of people are experiencing with the current matchmaking design.

Please just go and play the game… why tickle someone’s catastrophe? People are upset that their favourite game mode is nolonger fun for them. You seem to be enjoying that. Please just close your browser and go and enjoy the game.

No, it affects me because what people are upset about is that it’s not what already exists, and is playable… Unranked still exists and it is for people who want totally fair match ups. Unranked finally does that it should, which is move players up who deserve to move up, where as 50/50 balancing absolutely does not do that and is no way a platform for ranking or competitive play. It’s a platform for FAIR and leisurely play. But that exists for those who wants it. Why are people even playing Ranked anyways? Is everyone really upset over this promised back piece?

in PvP

Cynz.9437

snip

Maybe the ambers on losing streaks quit to do something else more produtive and/or enjoyable and you are unknowingly arguing in favor of irrepairably damaged game.

OR majority don’t even post nor read forums. They actually play game. This is reality :P

All is Vain~

in PvP

jessiestiles.9437

Yeh just give me the legendary already and I’d happily return to unranked and leave the mindlessly boring zerg tactic to those who don’t seem to get how much diversity of playstyle can enhance enjoyment of the game.

in PvP

jessiestiles.9437

snip

OR majority don’t even post nor read forums. They actually play game. This is reality :P

Non-sequitur

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

snip

And they’re not horrible at it. I played through amber late last week, and honestly felt pretty comfortable 1v2ing any two players I encountered.

Go on metabattle.com, run the build and learn your class. Sorry to sound mean, but I think anyone would advocate that to someone losing 100 games straight at amber.

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Corp Por.1567

Corp Por.1567

Then play unranked… That’s what it is forUse it. I don’t understand this mindset of “I MUST play competitive Ranked and be winning in order to play GW2”. There is a place for everyone that never goes away and still adds to reward tracks, just use it. If you absolutely must play Ranked, then team up. You’re in a guild, team up… A little coordination, you shouldn’t lose 20 in a row…

So, you’re having fun steam rolling other teams 500-50? In one of my games, my team was practically spawn camping the other team at their home node.

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

snip

And they’re not horrible at it. I played through amber late last week, and honestly felt pretty comfortable 1v2ing any two players I encountered.

Go on metabattle.com, run the build and learn your class. Sorry to sound mean, but I think anyone would advocate that to someone losing 100 games straight at amber.

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

IM IN EMERALD NOT AMBER. I PLAY META, HOW NICE FOR U THAT UVE HAD A NICE EXP.

JUST FINISHED A GAME AFTER A 3 GAME WINNING STREAK WHERE THE GUY DELIBERATELY DCED AND THEN RECONNECTED IN & “LOL” & SAID “IDK IF UR NOT GUD.”

LOST A PIP! YAY! I KNOW, MY SKILL, RT? I KNOW, I should have been able to carry my team to victory against 4 reapers, but I couldn’t, even w/ my DH meta that I am practicing so hard (even in unranked).

O well, I just gotta GET BETTER.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

JUST FINISHED A GAME AFTER A 3 GAME WINNING STREAK WHERE THE GUY DELIBERATELY DCED AND THEN RECONNECTED IN & “LOL” & SAID “IDK IF UR NOT GUD.”

LOST A PIP! YAY! I KNOW, MY SKILL, RT? I KNOW, I should have been able to carry my team to victory against 4 reapers, but I couldn’t, even w/ my DH meta that I am practicing so hard (even in unranked).

What does kittens DCing/throwing games have to do with Matchmaking? That’s been a problem since forever in every game mode… Whole different beast and should have stricter punishment. That I could agree with.

in PvP

Phaeton.9582

wtf is this

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Cynz.9437

Um that happens even in ruby right now. Has nothing to do with matchmaking really, just intentional player griefing.

All is Vain~

in PvP

Posted by: Link.1049

Link.1049

Everyone thinks, he is (at least) decent, because the previous system allowed everyone to win a good amount of games. But how can you know, if you have never faced much better players before?

Because in a league you will get to a point where’s you can go no further. The current set up means you stomp, or get stomped. There is no way to improve when you have close to no chance of winning.

Most people don’t want a free ride, the just want a chance of winning every match to a point.

In most leagues yes this would be true… In GW2’s current set up… the more matches you win the more matches you will win because it will set you up with easier matches. Whereas if you lose A match… good luck moving up a tier again.

in PvP

Cynz.9437

Everyone thinks, he is (at least) decent, because the previous system allowed everyone to win a good amount of games. But how can you know, if you have never faced much better players before?

Because in a league you will get to a point where’s you can go no further. The current set up means you stomp, or get stomped. There is no way to improve when you have close to no chance of winning.

Most people don’t want a free ride, the just want a chance of winning every match to a point.

In most leagues yes this would be true… In GW2’s current set up… the more matches you win the more matches you will win because it will set you up with easier matches. Whereas if you lose A match… good luck moving up a tier again.

Not true. I had 7 matches los streak, i won games after that. Also, the more you win the harder it gets. I am in ruby right now and matches are anything but easy.

All is Vain~

in PvP

Link.1049

snip

This comes off as a bit clueless… getting out of Amber if you play enough is inevitable even with 100 game losing streaks, as you can’t lose pips. Getting to Emerald is tiresome but doable for most players. If you’re lucky to win a match once in awhile and have the patience to deal with broken matchmaking.

What you’re not understanding is besides that the reason you’re not seeing many Amber players is because many players are quitting. Would you keep playing a broken system after 100 loses in a row???

in PvP

Cynz.9437

snip

This comes off as a bit clueless… getting out of Amber if you play enough is inevitable even with 100 game losing streaks, as you can’t lose pips. Getting to Emerald is tiresome but doable for most players. If you’re lucky to win a match once in awhile and have the patience to deal with broken matchmaking.

What you’re not understanding is besides that the reason you’re not seeing many Amber players is because many players are quitting. Would you keep playing a broken system after 100 loses in a row???

and what proof do you have?

All is Vain~

in PvP

jessiestiles.9437

He won’t answer your question which is firmly based in logical reasoning and given the facts very likely true. I’m not sure the people arguining for this system have a mind to reconsidered their firmly held preconceived notions when presented with any alternate ideas.

in PvP

Phaeton.9582

free your mind maaaan

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Cynz.9437

He won’t answer your question which is firmly based in logical reasoning and given the facts very likely true. I’m not sure the people arguining for this system have a mind to reconsidered their firmly held preconceived notions when presented with any alternate ideas.

His logical reasoning. I do not believe that majority of players are sitting in 100+ loss streaks and quit game. It is just his assumption. People don’t argue that current system is not flawed. They argue that current system is better than old one and that i am sry to say it leagues are not about welfare. Not everyone will reach legend. The top/good players are top for a reason. Old skill based leaderboards weren’t any different. Majority of playerbase was never on official LB (<90%).

What current system needs is better placement system at begin of the season so not so experienced players don’t get farmed first few days.

All is Vain~

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Link.1049

snip

and what proof do you have?

If you read the first page of the forums you’ll see multiple posts of entire guilds leaving PvP because of how messed up it is this season. Furthermore I can attest to it because I’m one of those players. I’m stuck in Emerald Hell Tier 3… and have only had 1 match since this season started where both teams scored above 100. It’s not fun being on either side of the roll. So I quit. I’m playing what’s left of WvW while scouting out a replacement game.

in PvP

Phaeton.9582

What current system needs is better placement system at begin of the season so not so experienced players don’t get farmed first few days.

I think everyone that’s going to get this point should have got it by now.

This thread has turned into a salt mine.

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

jessiestiles.9437

People were seriously annoyed last season and the matches were largely even. There are people on this forum with 5000 games and 55-60% win rate and huge loss streaks. We can safely assume that a good percentage of less skilled, less experienced players are having an equal or worse time. So your idea that things are carrying on as usual is foolish and poorly considered.

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

snip

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

I was out of amber in less than an hour. I have been stuck in emerald.

As I said before, what do u say to me when I make it to ruby or diamond this season, just like I did last season. Am I good then? IF so, what am I experiencing now and y am I being called poor?

in PvP

Link.1049

Last season for comparison I was happy making it to Ruby. Given that there are 6 divisions you’d think that average players could reasonably expect to fall somewhere in the middle there, so either Sapphire or Ruby. What I’m seeing is that many people are getting artificially pushed down at the entry gates.

in PvP

Cynz.9437

It was extremely easy to get to ruby last season. Also, this season is not even 1 week old, average player got months to get to ruby and they will.

All is Vain~

in PvP

Phaeton.9582

Last season for comparison I was happy making it to Ruby. Given that there are 6 divisions you’d think that average players could reasonably expect to fall somewhere in the middle there, so either Sapphire or Ruby. What I’m seeing is that many people are getting artificially pushed down at the entry gates.

What we’re advocating here is what I like to term ‘Trickle Down Necronomics’.

Essentially there is a net increase in pips attributed to Necromancers harnessing the power of chill. As these Necromancer climb their divisions, they create opportunities for other players to fill those places, as well as occasionally being matched up and carried by a group of Necromanci.

Through this effect, the success of the Necromancer is gradually passed down to other non-necro players, which will result in these players attaining higher divisions that would otherwise be unreachable.

Thanks for reading.

Phaatonn, London UK

(edited by Phaeton.9582)

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Yeah, by the end. People are too fast, and assume because they are not already sapphire/ruby that its flawed. Seasons do not last a week. That’s why there is so much commenting on “let it flesh out, let people climb tiers” because until people get those arbitrary pips, they’re going to be facing people in lower tiers. There isn’t much else that can be done about it. As people get put into their rightful divisions, as if fleshes out, the lower tiers will be less packed with all levels of players. People simply do not move out of the lower tiers fast enough, when they deserve to be higher.

Hence, again, why I said in Season 3 they should have some type of system for early Division bumps based on where people end in Season 2, that way that curve is evened out much much faster.

in PvP

jessiestiles.9437

So baring the ‘division bump’ how does this new system address the fact that people aren’t going to be bothered playing?

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

It was extremely easy to get to ruby last season. Also, this season is not even 1 week old, average player got months to get to ruby and they will.

in PvP

Posted by: Fivedawgs.4267

Fivedawgs.4267

You are being very arrogant and jumping around the bush a lot.
Here is what I am getting from your posts.

1- You are fine with the current MMR formula,which Noone outside of Anet uses; that’s is HIGH MMR Players vs LOW MMR players.

2- You don’t think other low MMR player should enjoy the entirety of league due to their skills or whatever reasons you think, they shouldn’t enjoy the league like HIGH MMR players.

3- You believe that having 15/20 loss/win streak will keep people interested in the game. Here is what will happens, as soon as those pro( HIGH MMR) players will get to legendary; the majority of them will get tired of the system because their way up want challenging enough; granted that some will stay around to grind their way up the ladder, but most won’t.

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

Did u get to ruby “extremely easily” last season by playing 100% solo q and not throwing a single game and no ts and no rerolls?

Cuz that’s how I roll. And I didn’t find it “extremely easy,” and I am neither an average nor a poor player, but w/e think w/e u want.