S2 From a High-Level Player's View

in PvP

Posted by: Torafugu.1087

Torafugu.1087

high MMR have nothing to do with skill. once you reach a certain value the system carry you up. Acting high and mighty just confirm you need a system to carry you up.
If you are really good, you should ask for a system that works the other way, that higher your MMR, the worse your team gets, so YOU need to be better to carry them. how does that sound ?

in PvP

Posted by: Fivedawgs.4267

Fivedawgs.4267

Yeah, higher MMR doesn’t not always equate to above average skill. But the majority of high MMR players are skilled though. In fact when you take everything into accounts such as the class( the high MMR player is using), how OP it is, it paints quite a nice picture. So the MMR taking everything into account, indeed a high skilled warrior would have a lower if not equal mmr to an average Rev player. So it’s a myriads of things.

in PvP

Posted by: Torafugu.1087

Torafugu.1087

Majority of high MMR player just have high MMR. That’s it. MMR begets more MMR due to a flawed system. skill doesn’t factor into it.

in PvP

Posted by: Thiefz.3695

Thiefz.3695

I guess what I have to say is, look at Helseth stream from unranked. That’s what it’s like to be an average player. Consider that MMR was wiped but only for average and below. That’s what is being done to put parties together.

in PvP

Posted by: Eater of Peeps.9062

Eater of Peeps.9062

Well, I will address and hopefully correct some of your more eggregious misstatements and misassumptions.

Personally I presume I did not have a low mmr at start of seas 2. I was in ruby, 100% solo, 2 pips from diamond. I didn’t make it cuz the last 2 days, tried to “breeze thru wins” using old losing strategies from seas 1, and it hurt my ability to get diamond and prolly my mmr too. But whatever. With a high number of games under my belt, and a 53% win ratio, I don’t think my mmr was reflective of a lower tier player. I breezed thru amber and 1st tier emerald in less than an hr day one.

Then all of sudden, my skill seems to have vanished. I started losing. The first games lost were due to the afkers etc who still thought losing games was still a good way to win this season ( I would never engage in such tactics, I always try to win). I had some dc’ers. I had some who threw games for their friends. We got stomped by rerolling/op/gimmicky teams on ts. Fine. I guess spvp is now a team sport exclusively.

In addition, once I started losing, mmr started matching me w/ poorer players (day 1-2 of seas 2). I play alot. I couldn’t save all the matches. Sometimes you just get matched w/ ppl who r not a good fit (rerolls wont help or not available) or who don’t know how to play spvp.

I am not, as arrogantly implied by many, upset about facing better players. In fact, that’s what I like about spvp – the competition. That way I can get better if I need to.

You mention that you don’t like to carry people who “don’t know what a node is.” What do you think I am encountering. How come it is perfectly okay for me to encounter people needing to be carried endlessly, but not you. I don’t understand. I paid the same amount for this game as you.

I don’t see any psychological mumbo jumbo, unless of course, anyone with emotions, opinions, and a brain is having psychological mumbo jumbo.

And please, try to refrain from telling people like me that our frustration is silly and insulting. I don’t really appreciate it. Please don’t demean my experience. I take offense at your efforts to deminimize my frustration, and others, especially since in my case, I have been playing pvp on GW for 14 years.

I am not paired with ppl in my skill level. I did not sink to this level because of my personal skill.

Think about it. My mmr is not calculated solely (or even necessarily primarily) by my personal skill level. It is calculated by the sum total of all the games I have played, and thus includes, and perhaps is primarily the result of, the personal skill levels as well the desire/ability to play exhibited by all my teammates.

This isn’t about right or wrong. There have been some horrible miscalculations and design flaws that are horribly skewed, and not panning out according to the “purist” model as designed, and consequently, the system is punishing longstanding, loyal members of the gw family, as well as punishing most casual pvp players, which unfortunately anymore, is most of the gw2 population base.

Remember, as I face more and more losses it will be impossible for me to claw my way up and in the interim, I am forced to play beneath my own personal skill level (contrary to what you may think), and it is quite frustrating and demoralizing. My last 4 matches even had players who admitted they deliberately dc’ed or akitten. They were reported, chat recorded, but so what – I still lost my pips and my downward spiral continues. What was it that I was supposed to do. I am at the bottom playing with people who don’t know how to play. There is no support. I can kill 1 v 4, but so what. If my teammates are doing nothing and 1 is afk, and the rest quit because of this, or they don’t care (cus its just one game after all), how is this my fault or reflective of my skill?

Also, as to your suggestion that players at the bottom can always go play unranked, cuz that’s where we presumably belong, is rather presumptuous. Without ever seeing any of us play, how would you know where our skill level is really at? Besides, in unranked, players go in there to fight one another one-on-one mid map or to test builds. How would that help me or anyone else, even presuming we need help and need to get better (and btw I don’t personally need help – since playing spvp since beta has taught me how to play by now). How is this suggestion a solution. You’re actually telling me to go do something else. Why don’t we all just go to pve too, and never pvp?

I am entitled to refuse to play w/ friends. That is my prerogative. If anet wanted all ranked pvp to be team based, w/friends, then anet should should make it mandatory that all people form a team in order to play ranked pvp, and should also eliminate the hotjoin button. Also, btw, my friends don’t want to risk lowering their cumulative mmr, by carrying a kitten player cuz the match-ups offer them no team support and players are often clueless about strategy or builds and sometimes, even with 2 good players, you still can’t save the team to rise up out of the lowest tiers.

Your own statement says it all: You “don’t feel the need to carry someone who barely knows what a node is.” Yah, its not fun. I am not enjoying it either.

I also don’t want to be “carried.” I have never been carried in pvp. I play 100% solo, and always have and always will. Its a preference. I don’t want to feel forced to do what “top players” think I should do to fix my dilemma, or to improve my fun level or skill level.

Also, my cumulative mmr is now shot forever. I will never be able to claw my way out of the bottom, probably not this season, and possibly never. Its not fun. Its the antithesis of fun. If you want to come carry me, please do so.

However, I will continue to empathize and support the same frustrations other players are experiencing as well and are quitting the game over. I don’t want GW to die. I want anet to try to fix it.

Don’t presume I play ranked pvp for the backpiece either. I don’t care about the backpiece at all. I don’t even want it. I play pvp specifically because I like strong competition. Now I must endure frustration endlessly and believe me, its not fun.

Contrary to what you say and imply, at least at it applies in my case, no matter how many times you say it or imply it, I am not a bad player. My mmr is the cumulative result of the skill levels and motivations of the teammates I get paired with, along with my personal skill and other external factors like lag, dcs, etc. I can get punished very badly if my teammates are bad. I am living proof of that.

And why is it, finally, that you emphasize your suggestions with italics, and bolding, but that is not considered drawing attention to your posts over and above what others have posted by using capital letters or other punctuation to emphasize theirs? You seem to have a nice understanding of forum rules, hence your suggestion to me as to how to post my replies. Please elucidate for me what you know of the rules that makes bolding and italics ok, but other punctuation, font types, capital letters, or other formatting means of typing emphasis are not ok. I would appreciate an education in this regard instead. Thanks for your anticipated help in this regard.

Please do not think I have not considered your viewpoint. I just think until you walk a mile in my shoes for one day in pvp, under the present system, that you are showing an amazing lack of understanding of the issues.

Also, please remember I am new to the forums. I have never felt the need to come onto the forums for anything in 14 yrs of playing gw.

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

I made a mistake in my post above. I did not use any tactics to “breeze thru wins.” I never have and never will. I have a typo in the reply above which I did not catch. The sentence was supposed to read teammates used tactics to breeze thru wins by employing mmr adjusting strategies that resulted in losses of games and loss of pips and personal mmr for me.

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

Well, I will address and hopefully correct some of your more eggregious misstatements and misassumptions.

Personally I presume I did not have a low mmr at start of seas 2. I was in ruby, 100% solo, 2 pips from diamond. I didn’t make it cuz the last 2 days, tried to “breeze thru wins” using old losing strategies from seas 1, and it hurt my ability to get diamond and prolly my mmr too. But whatever. With a high number of games under my belt, and a 53% win ratio, I don’t think my mmr was reflective of a lower tier player. I breezed thru amber and 1st tier emerald in less than an hr day one.

Then all of sudden, my skill seems to have vanished. I started losing. The first games lost were due to the afkers etc who still thought losing games was still a good way to win this season ( I would never engage in such tactics, I always try to win). I had some dc’ers. I had some who threw games for their friends. We got stomped by rerolling/op/gimmicky teams on ts. Fine. I guess spvp is now a team sport exclusively.

In addition, once I started losing, mmr started matching me w/ poorer players (day 1-2 of seas 2). I play alot. I couldn’t save all the matches. Sometimes you just get matched w/ ppl who r not a good fit (rerolls wont help or not available) or who don’t know how to play spvp.

I am not, as arrogantly implied by many, upset about facing better players. In fact, that’s what I like about spvp – the competition. That way I can get better if I need to.

You mention that you don’t like to carry people who “don’t know what a node is.” What do you think I am encountering. How come it is perfectly okay for me to encounter people needing to be carried endlessly, but not you. I don’t understand. I paid the same amount for this game as you.

I don’t see any psychological mumbo jumbo, unless of course, anyone with emotions, opinions, and a brain is having psychological mumbo jumbo.

And please, try to refrain from telling people like me that our frustration is silly and insulting. I don’t really appreciate it. Please don’t demean my experience. I take offense at your efforts to deminimize my frustration, and others, especially since in my case, I have been playing pvp on GW for 14 years.

I am not paired with ppl in my skill level. I did not sink to this level because of my personal skill.

Think about it. My mmr is not calculated solely (or even necessarily primarily) by my personal skill level. It is calculated by the sum total of all the games I have played, and thus includes, and perhaps is primarily the result of, the personal skill levels as well the desire/ability to play exhibited by all my teammates.

This isn’t about right or wrong. There have been some horrible miscalculations and design flaws that are horribly skewed, and not panning out according to the “purist” model as designed, and consequently, the system is punishing longstanding, loyal members of the gw family, as well as punishing most casual pvp players, which unfortunately anymore, is most of the gw2 population base.

Remember, as I face more and more losses it will be impossible for me to claw my way up and in the interim, I am forced to play beneath my own personal skill level (contrary to what you may think), and it is quite frustrating and demoralizing. My last 4 matches even had players who admitted they deliberately dc’ed or akitten. They were reported, chat recorded, but so what – I still lost my pips and my downward spiral continues. What was it that I was supposed to do. I am at the bottom playing with people who don’t know how to play. There is no support. I can kill 1 v 4, but so what. If my teammates are doing nothing and 1 is afk, and the rest quit because of this, or they don’t care (cus its just one game after all), how is this my fault or reflective of my skill?

Also, as to your suggestion that players at the bottom can always go play unranked, cuz that’s where we presumably belong, is rather presumptuous. Without ever seeing any of us play, how would you know where our skill level is really at? Besides, in unranked, players go in there to fight one another one-on-one mid map or to test builds. How would that help me or anyone else, even presuming we need help and need to get better (and btw I don’t personally need help – since playing spvp since beta has taught me how to play by now). How is this suggestion a solution. You’re actually telling me to go do something else. Why don’t we all just go to pve too, and never pvp?

I am entitled to refuse to play w/ friends. That is my prerogative. If anet wanted all ranked pvp to be team based, w/friends, then anet should should make it mandatory that all people form a team in order to play ranked pvp, and should also eliminate the hotjoin button. Also, btw, my friends don’t want to risk lowering their cumulative mmr, by carrying a kitten player cuz the match-ups offer them no team support and players are often clueless about strategy or builds and sometimes, even with 2 good players, you still can’t save the team to rise up out of the lowest tiers.

Your own statement says it all: You “don’t feel the need to carry someone who barely knows what a node is.” Yah, its not fun. I am not enjoying it either.

I also don’t want to be “carried.” I have never been carried in pvp. I play 100% solo, and always have and always will. Its a preference. I don’t want to feel forced to do what “top players” think I should do to fix my dilemma, or to improve my fun level or skill level.

Also, my cumulative mmr is now shot forever. I will never be able to claw my way out of the bottom, probably not this season, and possibly never. Its not fun. Its the antithesis of fun. If you want to come carry me, please do so.

However, I will continue to empathize and support the same frustrations other players are experiencing as well and are quitting the game over. I don’t want GW to die. I want anet to try to fix it.

Don’t presume I play ranked pvp for the backpiece either. I don’t care about the backpiece at all. I don’t even want it. I play pvp specifically because I like strong competition. Now I must endure frustration endlessly and believe me, its not fun.

Contrary to what you say and imply, at least at it applies in my case, no matter how many times you say it or imply it, I am not a bad player. My mmr is the cumulative result of the skill levels and motivations of the teammates I get paired with, along with my personal skill and other external factors like lag, dcs, etc. I can get punished very badly if my teammates are bad. I am living proof of that.

And why is it, finally, that you emphasize your suggestions with italics, and bolding, but that is not considered drawing attention to your posts over and above what others have posted by using capital letters or other punctuation to emphasize theirs? You seem to have a nice understanding of forum rules, hence your suggestion to me as to how to post my replies. Please elucidate for me what you know of the rules that makes bolding and italics ok, but other punctuation, font types, capital letters, or other formatting means of typing emphasis are not ok. I would appreciate an education in this regard instead. Thanks for your anticipated help in this regard.

Please do not think I have not considered your viewpoint. I just think until you walk a mile in my shoes for one day in pvp, under the present system, that you are showing an amazing lack of understanding of the issues.

Also, please remember I am new to the forums. I have never felt the need to come onto the forums for anything in 14 yrs of playing gw.

+1 … nicely put

in PvP

Posted by: Oh Snapalope.1378

Oh Snapalope.1378

I think some people still don’t know how the matchmaking system works right now. So I’ll explain it again for the 10000000th time.

Quoted from their season 2 post:
“we’ll still use your MMR to place you on teams with similarly skilled players (from your division point range) to help ensure that you’re not forced to play with individuals that are of a much higher or lower skill than you.”

Notice it never says it will consider the MMR of all 10 matched players, instead it just considers your own team.

The way the system currently works is it only considers MMR on your own team and not the full 10 players. So let’s say there’s 10 people queuing within an acceptable division range, 5 players are around 800 MMR and the other 5 are around 1000 MMR. Due to the fact that the system only considers making a team of 5 of similar MMR players at a time, the 5 800 MMR players will be put on one team and the 5 1000 MMR players will be on the other team. So what you get is high skilled players on 1 team and less skilled players on the other. Of course the result is the 800 MMR team getting stomped.

It’s really a really weird and flawed system if it the matchmaking process never considers the MMR of your opponents. Also in theory, this system will balance itself out over time as eventually the low MMR players will be the only ones in that pip/division search range so you will get even matches. The real question is….How long will that take? Not to mention the time it takes for the thing to balance out will result in really garbage quality games that no one enjoys. Is enduring this time period of garbage quality games worth it? In my opinion, no…… Just give us season 1 style with improved smurfing and anti-stack measures.

Now after thinking about it for a day on the weekend, I noticed another fatal flaw about their system. The speed of which the higher skilled players move up is not the same. This is due to playtime and other things to do in the game. This system works perfectly assuming everyone has the same playtime per day/week which is not the case. Due to higher MMR players leaving at different times, lopsided stomps happen for longer period of time and pretty much makes this thing impossible to balance out over a reasonable period of time.

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

If all the better than average players progress and the less than average are left behindbat the start of the season doesn’t that mean the less than average willbface the new players and each other? Then its only a matter of them increasing there skill level by watching top tier streams or tournaments in order to get better? So this matchmaking actually makes sense then..

It does make sense, but the first week or so until the good players are out of that division it’s hell on poor players. That said, that’s part of competition, and why I urge people to just play Unranked. People like to get their feathers fluffed over it, but I mean… That’s what it’s there for, for people who don’t want the hussle and bustle of Ranked game play and getting thrown around. Maybe a week after Unranked people would get their confidence (and skill?) up a bit and the better players would have moved on, and try again.

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

Well, what happens if I am lucky or skilled enough to claw my way back up to ruby or diamond this season after a 102 game losing streak (w/a few wins).

Am I still a "poor player” then, when all the “good players” have moved up prematurely before me. When I am finally up in ranks, if I can overcome my mmr death spiral, then what am I then?

How will I be characterized then? Will I still be a bad player then?

Will you tell me that I learned to get to diamond rank in less than two months from learning how to play during seas 2 pvp, despite the fact that after 14 years of playing nothing but pvp on gw, I started it out as a purportedly below average player.

Or conversely, is it that I am a good player and I rose to the top because I am a skilled player. If this is the case, why do I have to, as you put it, endure “hell” as a “poor player?”

Which is it? If I end up being good at the end, how will you explain my experience now? How can I be bad now, with a 100 plus losing streak, but get good in so short a time to rise up and be a good player by season end (if, as I suspect, I can). Please explain this rationale to me

Especially when you consider my mmr is not reflective of only my own personal skill level, but also the skill levels and personal abilities and motivations to play of each and every one of my teammates I encounter and am paired with, as well as some extraneous factors as well such as lag or power failures, etc.

This is not a fun experience for me. Being forced to read top players views on this, compounds this frustration. There is a lot of self-serving, smug discussion out there.
There are a lot of directives to poor players as to what they should do and how they should play the game.

This season of spvp reminds me of the old Hall of Heroes in gw1, when people could only get in with a team of 8 premade. The teams had to be Iway, or it was no-way or the highway for the rest of players. Then it became go away. There was a lot of toxicity that was driven by players who were actively engaged in, and proud of their Iway successes. For those players who wanted to hotjoin hall of heroes, or who wanted a team composed of anything but Iway, the option became less and less of an option. Eventually, Hall of Heroes became an empty pavilion long before the player base dropped off.

Its not nice to rub peoples noses in a string of failures, or poor skill, or tell them to play something else in the game like unranked or pve. Such statements show an amazing lack of understanding about the frustration people experience, and are perhaps a little short-sighted about the potential damaging effects of not only poor system designs or choices but also of championing those changes as though they benefit most of the players, or in the end, the game itself.

Please remember, it is not personal skill by itself, solely and exclusively that determines one’s mmr or one’s matchmaking placement or one’s individual game match-ups.

If this is team arena, then we are all in it together, for better or worse, to carry the poorer players and cheer on the greater players, and when any one person fails, we are all affected and in the end, we all fail. So sad. I love GW. I do not love spvp anymore.

And I am not a bad player, not matter how much top players don’t believe it, or how much people may not like me or like what I say.

Further, having to claw my way back from the bottom to the top is the antithesis of game fun. It is humiliating. Not because I can’t take a hard fall (believe me, in my lifeI have taken many a hard fall and bore it bravely, objectively and well). It is humiliating because I do not feel I deserve it. Thus, the protest. Its like a person with a doctorate having to take a job as a janitor. Its not so much that the job is bad, or frustrating in and of itself, its because the person doesn’t belong in that position from anyone’s viewpoint.

In addition, now the system is punishing me even more than a random system would, since my low mmr is making it harder and harder for me to ever win or gain tiers. All of this is occurring why, exactly? Why couldn’t the good players just rise to the top in random match-ups like they inevitably would no matter what, without an extra penalty added to those who lose, like a negative handicap to make it even harder.

I watch the leagues. I watch gw streamers. I am the guy who buys the products. What did I do? I bought the game and all expansions. I spent money in the gem store. I speak highly of the game and recommend it to people. Why am I having such a miserable experience? Why are you not hearing me? Why are you not believing me? Why do you not care? Why is this okay?

Oh, I forgot. I am not worthy. I am a terrible player. I do not deserve to win or be heard. You can find me in pve or unranked where I belong, now that you’ve all kicked me sufficiently well. What a hard pill to swallow. But believe me, I am grateful for all that I have learned from the game.

in PvP

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

Well, what happens if I am lucky or skilled enough to claw my way back up to ruby or diamond this season after a 102 game losing streak (w/a few wins).

Am I still a "poor player” then, when all the “good players” have moved up prematurely before me. When I am finally up in ranks, if I can overcome my mmr death spiral, then what am I then?

Yes.

Anyone who reached diamond after me is a bad player. Only I took Jesus by one hand and Lucifer in another, twisted them sidewise to reach diamond. Rest of you all just got carried. It’s me only me who is good. if you could smell………

That’s generally the mentality of any PvP player in any game. So, yea. you will still be a scrub in another’s eyes.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

in PvP

Posted by: Silverstone.4539

Silverstone.4539

here here +1
well said.

in PvP

Posted by: CMNico.2913

CMNico.2913

Maybe it will get better, but when? The season is not infinite. How long will we have horrible gaming experience? will we ever get to the point when we can play in equial teams in this season?

in PvP

Oh Snapalope.1378

Maybe it will get better, but when? The season is not infinite. How long will we have horrible gaming experience? will we ever get to the point when we can play in equial teams in this season?

It won’t get better. For the reason I explained in my post above that got buried by his walls of text, high skilled players move up at different speeds due to having different play times or having other things to do in the game. Expect garbage quality games until the end of the season. Their system actually works out perfectly and will achieve perfect balance if and only if everyone that plays PvP play for the same amount of time per day/week/month and at the same time too. As you know that’s not possible so, the answer is most likely we will get terrible games all season.

(edited by Oh Snapalope.1378)

in PvP

CMNico.2913

It won’t get better. For the reason I explained in my post above that got buried by his walls of text, high skilled players move up at different speeds due to having different play times or having other things to do in the game. Expect garbage quality games until the end of the season. Their system actually works out perfectly and will achieve perfect balance if and only if everyone that plays PvP play for the same amount of time per day/week/month and so on. As you know that’s not possible so, the answer is most likely we will get terrible games all season.

I was in diamond division last league. It seems i am forever stuck at emerald tier 4.

in PvP

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

Why are people using last league’s division rank as standpoint/measuring point? Last league’s meta was so bad and forgiving that there literally weren’t any drastic skill difference apart from pro league players/players at the top and average pvpers . Also before anet fixed queue with amber to advance to the division almost everyone I knew who played PvP “casually”, like played for daily matches for giggles got into legendary, diamond, ruby etc. Hell after seeing bunker chronomancer most of pvp friends that I had quit or moved onto different gamemode and myself as well.

Last year’s league is done! It does not properly gauge one’s skill. This league’s meta reflects not only personal skill but map awareness, rotation, secondary objectives, etc, basically much better than last league and also more difficult/skill based. If you were on bunkering classes and carried the team or survived through boredom last league, well time to change and actually try playing stuff that punishes you for the mistakes.

People that I know play regularly or had in-depth knowledge about gw2 combat system has already moved on to ruby and beyond. You can blame your teammates, team comp and matchmaking but you may be the part of the problem. I already see so many people trying to play 3 points and lose games, so many people not even bother cleaving the dead body as last meta they were rezzed easily, etc. All the bad habits from last league are still carried over to current meta so unlearn them.

I’m not telling you to get better or git gud. I’m telling you to adapt to the current meta, count dodges, play smart and start making strategies based on your team comp, enemy team comp and rotations. According to people on the forum I should have never escaped Amber since last league I played 5 games and lost twice. But I’m in ruby tier 5 right now and keep going despite winning or losing streak. If a guy who took 6 month break from pvp comes back and starts enjoying/winning matches, so can you.

Tour

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

Why are people using last league’s division rank as standpoint/measuring point? Last league’s meta was so bad and forgiving that there literally weren’t any drastic skill difference apart from pro league players/players at the top and average pvpers . Also before anet fixed queue with amber to advance to the division almost everyone I knew who played PvP “casually”, like played for daily matches for giggles got into legendary, diamond, ruby etc. Hell after seeing bunker chronomancer most of pvp friends that I had quit or moved onto different gamemode and myself as well.

Last year’s league is done! It does not properly gauge one’s skill. This league’s meta reflects not only personal skill but map awareness, rotation, secondary objectives, etc, basically much better than last league and also more difficult/skill based. If you were on bunkering classes and carried the team or survived through boredom last league, well time to change and actually try playing stuff that punishes you for the mistakes.

People that I know play regularly or had in-depth knowledge about gw2 combat system has already moved on to ruby and beyond. You can blame your teammates, team comp and matchmaking but you may be the part of the problem. I already see so many people trying to play 3 points and lose games, so many people not even bother cleaving the dead body as last meta they were rezzed easily, etc. All the bad habits from last league are still carried over to current meta so unlearn them.

I’m not telling you to get better or git gud. I’m telling you to adapt to the current meta, count dodges, play smart and start making strategies based on your team comp, enemy team comp and rotations. According to people on the forum I should have never escaped Amber since last league I played 5 games and lost twice. But I’m in ruby tier 5 right now and keep going despite winning or losing streak. If a guy who took 6 month break from pvp comes back and starts enjoying/winning matches, so can you.

Could say the same about this season, skills are not required to level up since all you have to do is play rev scrapper or reaper and have a high MMR. Why?? Because anet will constantly match you against Low MMR players.

And about the last season, it depends on who you ask. The MM system last season was a lot better than this one since it was based on the 50/50 even though the system as a whole wasn’t. This season they have the right system but the formula is faulty.

And about your post, your MMR carried you out of amber. That’s a FACT. You can’t dispute it, folks with the same skills as you but low MMR,weren’t as lucky as you since the system gave them bad teammates.

And finally, how.many low skilled player made it to diamond last year?? What’s the barometer of being good in your opinion if the last league standing are moot ? Is it name recognition or what

(edited by Fivedawgs.4267)

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

high MMR have nothing to do with skill. once you reach a certain value the system carry you up. Acting high and mighty just confirm you need a system to carry you up.
If you are really good, you should ask for a system that works the other way, that higher your MMR, the worse your team gets, so YOU need to be better to carry them. how does that sound ?

in PvP

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

This league’s meta reflects not only personal skill but map awareness, rotation, secondary objectives, etc, basically much better than last league and also more difficult/skill based. If you were on bunkering classes and carried the team or survived through boredom last league, well time to change and actually try playing stuff that punishes you for the mistakes.

Good points but, current meta is beyond bad. Last meta at least gave lower-mid div players a chance to stage comebacks with the help of slightly better skilled players who could carry teams w/ bunkers. At upper divs, it was all about who capped first and summon wars between reapers in SH. Now, this meta is all about 30s and it’s done. You can argue but, there’s an overwhelming number of matches that are settled between 50 – 150 points range like 500-50, 500-150. That’s not a healthy system. It’s stupid.

Removing a huge amount of players out of a system and then complaining PvP is dying is hypocritical. The damage dealt this season is beyond repair. I am scared to even do more than 3 matches in ranked because environment is so toxic. Most people are in a losing streak, they are plain mad and not thinking straight. Combining that with bad to avg. gameplay in this meta is a total recipe of disaster.

Anyhow, to each his/her own, I will be interested to see if this system actually continues in season 3. I will bet 100g that it will not unless ANET sees money in making this game a hardcore competitive PvP game. I have been wrong before. So, who knows.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

in PvP

TheFamster.7806

Could say the same about this season, skills are not required to level up since all you have to do is play rev scrapper or reaper and have a high MMR. Why?? Because anet will constantly match you against Low MMR players.

And about the last season, it depends on who you ask. The MM system last season was a lot better than this one since it was based on the 50/50 even though the system as a whole wasn’t. This season they have the right system but the formula is faulty.

And about your post, your MMR carried you out of amber. That’s a FACT. You can’t dispute it, folks with the same skills as you but low MMR,weren’t as lucky as you since the system gave them bad teammates.

I can tell you for the fact that I have not played scrapper or reaper at all. In fact I played scrapper the day before league and got myself absolutely handed to me, and then I turned on to revenant. Now we all know with condi mesmer and condi necro around my choice of profession would be poor. There were many games that I lost 500-22, 500-40 etc, but I also won a lot of comeback games such as 500-490, 500-370, etc down from 0-200. I did rage a lot in team chat when my teammates pushed for 3 points when we only had 1 bunker (scrapper/ele) in the team, made dumb rotation, zerged and mowed down but I never gave up.

I also hit the sapphire t4/t5 wall and was stuck there for 6 hours when I played pvp literally every minute of the day. I raged, almost broke my keyboard, thought about uninstalling, but I decided to calm myself down, start over again and try to win one match at a time. My rank up game from sapphire to Ruby was the best game I ever had, my team coming back from 100-400 to 500-489. One thing I kept typing on team chat was never give up and lets try our best.

I lost 2 games in amber when I first started, but I kept working my way up. I never had anything like 15 win streak, more like 9 at most and then losing some games and then climbing back again. My MMR isn’t that great since I played less than 1800 games before pvp league and then I took break for 6 months from PvP. I am the guy in solo queue who tells people where to go and why during ready to formulate strategy, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. The point is I do everything I can to win the game and if I lose, I accept it.

I am now in ruby tier 5 and for past day and a half I was stuck at ruby tier 1 and 2. I raged so much that my pve guild mates formed their own pvp team without me and created their own passworded channel to stop me from entering their conversation. I accept it, I move on, and I will probably try to find a decent team so that I can start playing in AG tournaments. I assure you being a revenant in this meta especially when other team has 2 necros and 2 condi mesmer is very difficult, but I always do my best

Tour

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

I can tell you for the fact that I have not played scrapper or reaper at all. In fact I played scrapper the day before league and got myself absolutely handed to me, and then I turned on to revenant. Now we all know with condi mesmer and condi necro around my choice of profession would be poor. There were many games that I lost 500-22, 500-40 etc, but I also won a lot of comeback games such as 500-490, 500-370, etc down from 0-200. I did rage a lot in team chat when my teammates pushed for 3 points when we only had 1 bunker (scrapper/ele) in the team, made dumb rotation, zerged and mowed down but I never gave up.

I also hit the sapphire t4/t5 wall and was stuck there for 6 hours when I played pvp literally every minute of the day. I raged, almost broke my keyboard, thought about uninstalling, but I decided to calm myself down, start over again and try to win one match at a time. My rank up game from sapphire to Ruby was the best game I ever had, my team coming back from 100-400 to 500-489. One thing I kept typing on team chat was never give up and lets try our best.

I lost 2 games in amber when I first started, but I kept working my way up. I never had anything like 15 win streak, more like 9 at most and then losing some games and then climbing back again. My MMR isn’t that great since I played less than 1800 games before pvp league and then I took break for 6 months from PvP. I am the guy in solo queue who tells people where to go and why during ready to formulate strategy, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. The point is I do everything I can to win the game and if I lose, I accept it.

I am now in ruby tier 5 and for past day and a half I was stuck at ruby tier 1 and 2. I raged so much that my pve guild mates formed their own pvp team without me and created their own passworded channel to stop me from entering their conversation. I accept it, I move on, and I will probably try to find a decent team so that I can start playing in AG tournaments. I assure you being a revenant in this meta especially when other team has 2 necros and 2 condi mesmer is very difficult, but I always do my best

Anyways revs are god tier atm, and before we go back and forth, let me ask you this simple question. DO you know how the current MM system works? If not i’ll advise you to so some research on it.

in PvP

Oh Snapalope.1378

Famster I don’t think you know how the system actually works….. Just read up my post.

in PvP

CMNico.2913

God this is a huge amount of pointless text. You have absolutely no idea what are you talking about, so all your theorization is irrelevant. The problem is not what you think about my skill, the problem is what matchmaking algorithm thinks about my skill.

in PvP

TheFamster.7806

God this is a huge amount of pointless text. You have absolutely no idea what are you talking about, so all your theorization is irrelevant. The problem is not what you think about my skill, the problem is what matchmaking algorithm thinks about my skill.

You just proved yourself that why you are in a losing streak. You ignored my advice, you fail to acknowledge the change in meta and now you’re just blaming the system. With that attitude you would never advance to ruby or higher because you would never improve. According to the rule since I lost twice in amber and didn’t even participate in last league I should be losing 15~20 times in a row, but I didn’t. Seriously ask yourself if you could not do better for yourself and your teammates. Until you fix that attitude and accept that last meta just carried you to whatever division, you will never advance.

Tour

in PvP

CMNico.2913

The only thing i proved is that your fantasies have nothing to do with real world. There is just nothing to discuss with you.

in PvP

Posted by: themainahfreak.5431

themainahfreak.5431

IT’s absoultely trecherous, and i think you should only be able to have 2 of a class on your team, tired of seeing 4 necros and 4 dhs

in PvP

Posted by: Constantin.5608

Constantin.5608

haha i bet this Famster kid can sit in a corner, afk, and still win matches the system loves him so much

in PvP

TheFamster.7806

haha i bet this Famster kid can sit in a corner, afk, and still win matches the system loves him so much

I mean you don’t really have to tell us what you do in ranked matches because I try to win and you’re just complaining on the forum. I’m loved by the match making system? Then they should have not put me against 3 ruby+1 amber premade versus all solo queuers. They started with 3 cap at legacy of foefire, score being 250-0, but we manage to comeback and lord rushed to win 500- 390.

No one in pvp community that matters knows me, I have not won any community tournaments or been in any established pvp guilds. I just play, rage and keep trying and only thing I see on forum is people complaining because they can’t faceroll like last season

Tour

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

in PvP

Constantin.5608

They started with 3 cap at legacy of foefire, score being 250-0, but we manage to comeback and lord rushed to win 500- 390.

Haha they must have been truly terrible players, or had a double disconnect. This just supports my point that match making loves you.

in PvP

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

If TheFamster only had 1800 PvP games (ranked and unranked), only played 5 games in season 1, and took a 6 month break, his ranked MMR would decay back down to the average (where all new players start). So how could the system carry him if his MMR was already at base level?

Also, for those interested, friends and family of ronpierce will be holding a candlelight vigil to honor his memory after ya’ll verbally eviscerated him. Geez. Keep the fight clean boys. It’s toxic in here.

(edited by Salamander.2504)

in PvP

TheFamster.7806

They started with 3 cap at legacy of foefire, score being 250-0, but we manage to comeback and lord rushed to win 500- 390.

Haha they must have been truly terrible players, or had a double disconnect. This just supports my point that match making loves you.

Nope no one disconnected, the fight was pretty close as they were rushing our lord and we were rushing theirs. When the fight ended our lord only had 20% health left. I am not the greatest player or luckiest person in the world but I’m sure my constant ccs and trying my best to heal the lord using shield 4 and providing him with almost perma protection by using the elite facet helped my lord survive.

Tour

in PvP

Constantin.5608

in PvP

Posted by: KyleBradley.4193

KyleBradley.4193

Things I think they should implement to make ranked PvP better

1) If you win you should be paired with a team of winning players vs another team of winning players (Winners play Winners & Losers play Losers)…

2) Don’t put the people you just beat on your team the next match (solved by #1)

3) Stop stacking professions, its annoying when you get 3 thief’s on your team vs 3 necros on the other team….

I read somewhere that they were not going to allow profession stacking for the pro players, but I think they should do that for ranked also…

Why in the world have they not fixed match making profession wise?! It affects your match tremendously when you have an unbalanced team that cant stay alive or doesn’t offer any team support.

4) If you make legendary the next season you should start in Division 2

5) MMR should be character based not account bound

6) Legendary Reward Track…or at least more interesting reward tracks

7) Custom Arena Revisions… There is no point in them and why charge the 2g per day?!
Would be cool if you could allow strategy sessions or add situations that you could replay, host tournaments (1v1 and 5v5s)…

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

Torafugu 1087 – Absolutely the best suggestion I have heard yet from anyone! Why not? Seems like the perfect solution! Higher you go in mmr, the more you get the handicap.

in PvP

TheFamster.7806

No because then at the end the average skill ceiling in this game will go down just as it did with pve. Do you think high end players like carrying people? This has been the case before HoT where high end players had to carry low skilled players resulting in frustration and toxicity. Also new players will think that they won the match instead of being carried.

No one hosts tournaments to see average players bashing each other. Honestly no one playing pvp at this moment is forced to play it. You can simply not play it at all if you are so frustrated. Also the backlash of that will be 3 great players will party up with 1 average players and still crush team of 1 or 2 great players+ 3/4 pugs. That will not make the match fun for that pug great players, so he will get a team and more teams will farm solo queuers because of matchmaking limits.

At this point its personal responsibility to be better in pvp. No energy sigil, no party wide invul, and map awareness being the most important skill people should just give themselves some time to get used to the new meta. New guides and podcasts will show up pretty soon anyway.

Tour

in PvP

Posted by: Kuju.2153

Kuju.2153

I will say I’ve only read the OP, and this is in response to that.

I am by no means a pro player – in fact I would consider myself above average to good at best depending on my try hard. Last season I had to really bust my behind most games just to be around 60% win rate solo and probably played around 200-250 games. It did suck getting matched against a lot of 3-5 man queues with all yolo on my side, but the worst part was more so playing games on Forefire ending with nobody at 350. That said a high majority of the games were pretty close (I define that as both teams getting to at least 300ish – that is just the way I look at it) with a mistake or two here and there being the difference.

Fast forward to this season; I just started queues this weekend, and right now I’m at around 25-1 win rate thus far and I’ve had 1 maybe 2 games so far that were not blowouts (other team not even getting to 150 a lot of the time). At first I could tell it was just folks not very skilled/experienced and all, but as I’ve kept going I’ve begun to talk to team mates about their win ratio I’m beginning to wonder if there is a bug in the matchmaking system placing the higher MMR players on side (or at least more on one side). I’m seeing the same people on my team at times, and their ratios aren’t much lower than mine while I can still tell the other team is folks that just aren’t what I’m used to facing in ranked.

Obviously, this is benefiting me greatly, but I’ve never won this many games solo queue over almost 30 games (and I know it sounds pompous, but I’ve really not had to try much). It just seems like something odd is going on, and I remember when the old solo queue system came out and it was doing something similar with stacking one side with higher MMR players (and I know their were try hards that synced their queues too adding to the problem).

Just throwing it out there that maybe there is an issue with who is getting put on what team – or maybe it’ll clear up when I get to ruby/diamond. Still sucks for anybody having to wait for a large group of players to move up in order to get decent matches I suspect.

(edited by Kuju.2153)

in PvP

Constantin.5608

From a different thread, but brilliant:

Fivedawgs.4267:
You know why league. Smite or Dota are popular or enjoyable (subjective term)? Because they use the 50/50 algorithm; they match against people you have a 50% chance of winning or losing; unlike what we have now, where one side is GROSSLY FAVORED over the other.

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Fivedawgs.4267:
You know why league. Smite or Dota are popular or enjoyable (subjective term)? Because they use the 50/50 algorithm; they match against people you have a 50% chance of winning or losing; unlike what we have now, where one side is GROSSLY FAVORED over the other.

And that’s why there’s unranked.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Fivedawgs.4267:

You think average players don’t want to pit themselves against players of similar skills and improve? You don’t get that in unranked.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

TheFamster.7806

Fivedawgs.4267:

You think average players don’t want to pit themselves against players of similar skills and improve? You don’t get that in unranked.

I disagree. I got that in unranked. In fact I have more unranked games than ranked games when they implemented the grindy leaderboard when meta was 1 shoutbow and 4 turret engies putting turrets up in the air.

Tour

in PvP

TheFamster.7806

fixing forum bug

Tour

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Fivedawgs.4267:

I disagree. I got that in unranked.

No you don’t because you don’t specifically get matched with and against others of similar skill.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

TheFamster.7806

Fivedawgs.4267:

I disagree. I got that in unranked.

No you don’t because you don’t specifically get matched with and against others of similar skill.

actually due to unrank and ranked mmr being separated yeah. Back then when I was on winning streak I was faced against the abjured members and got my kitten handed to me. Since there is no division people didn’t know how to evaluate their skills unless they were in pvp community (aka famous people). My own personal judgement was if I was teamed with great players then my mmr was low enough for the system to think I should be carried by great players but if I was matched up against them I believed the system thought I had a chance against those players or at least had higher mmr than people that were teamed up with great players if all of us were solo queuing.

Tour

in PvP

Posted by: jessiestiles.9437

jessiestiles.9437

You just proved yourself that why you are in a losing streak. You ignored my advice, you fail to acknowledge the change in meta and now you’re just blaming the system. With that attitude you would never advance to ruby or higher because you would never improve. According to the rule since I lost twice in amber and didn’t even participate in last league I should be losing 15~20 times in a row, but I didn’t. Seriously ask yourself if you could not do better for yourself and your teammates. Until you fix that attitude and accept that last meta just carried you to whatever division, you will never advance.

In a game I’m holding mid with a teammate and we could win if we can also hold home. So I instruct my teammates near home to hold it and they keep running toward mid. Waiting for chat to register with them. Still running to mid. So I think I’ll let them hold mid and ill speed home but they all start to run home with me. All 4 of them. So back to mid I go and someones there so I recapture it and kill them. My 4 other teammates lose home and we lose the game. Game after game it was like this playing against fairly well organised teams till I came to kitten about it on the forum. I don’t know whether they are all unskilled, or it’s intentional, or they are just that fed up with losing they aren’t even trying.

You don’t know what you are talking about and would rather blame the victim than address systemic problems.

in PvP

Eater of Peeps.9062

I just have to say, I just joined up with 4 players, all in sapphire. We played one game as a “test.” This was after they quizzed me to death about builds, rank, etc. After we played they told me I was awesome. We lost. They three capped. Three capped. Only they didn’t succeed. Big surprise. We had a chat about strategy. They did what I suggested. We capped two and held for a long time, but they fell apart, over beast. They begged me to stay. I quit and went back to solo. They were all 4 sapphires. I was better. They told me I was better. This is not bs. Believe me or not I don’t care. Its so sad. I love pvp, but I will never love it again, I can tell I have to be stuck with noobs forever.

in PvP

Posted by: Shadow.1345

Shadow.1345

@TheFamster my last match I played I got paired with a 4 man party vs another 4man party and 1 pug. My 4 man zerged beast every time it came up leaving me at mid and home undefended. Draw on the map, ping the points, talk in chat and explain to hold points and they just don’t listen. No matter how many times I tell people on Forest that beast is worthless and capped nodes wins matches all they can think is “25 points”. To top it off because they get those 25 personal points per kill they are under this delusion they played better because they have more personal points. How exactly do I play better to carry a 4man premade to victory? What did I do wrong that I should have done better?

I know hold 2 to win and cleave on downed targets, stay out of AoE and don’t over commit on nodes but after days of losses I constantly get teamed with people who have no concept of rotations and how to counter enemy rotations. I tell people when we are losing and are getting wiped to regroup and they just stagger out one by one to get massacred one at time. I’ll see someone at home backcapping and try to run to get there but on a necro with plague signet you are just pulling all the chills and cripples slowing me down to the point that snails laugh as they speed past me. I could cast my signet but then I have no stunbreak or condi transfer when I need it for 30 seconds. What exactly should I do then to stop the backcap? Stand still and type in team chat to the people so focused on killing one person?

You made a remark about someone else not taking your advice but what do you do when you get teamed with people who won’t listen to advice or are so convinced their advice is right, like the guy who told me he made Saph in one day but thought rushing Lord at 200 points against a team with 300 points, map domination on two nodes and an overall better comp that they would have to pull back to defend the Lord instead of just sending one to cap the third node and rush our Lord for the win. But he got to Saph in one day so he must be a smarter player. Should I have taken his advice to rush Lord and done better for my team? Does me not following his advice or people not following mine make me a bad player?

You also mentioned you had a losing streak for 6 hours and raged and almost broke your keyboard (that’s some serious raging) and even got blocked from your guildies because of your raging. Imagine how much you would rage when you can barely get a win in 3-5 days. (Add in insult to injury that my last win didn’t get me any pips because of some latency bug that the match doesn’t even show up in my match history after 2 hours.) You’d probably be arrested for that much property damage and disturbing the peace.

Honestly, if you raged that much over that then you have little room to judge people for coming to voice their concerns in a thread about this problem started by a player much better than you that has done well in past AGs and has a chance at Pro Leagues this season.

Now people don’t get into ELO hell from losing two games, it happens when you get on a losing streak of like 7 or 8. Your MMR starts to drop and your teammates get worse. Eventually you start getting the PvE’rs that want the backpiece. They just face tank DH traps and marks and Reapers in shroud. They don’t rotate when they have a numbers advantage on a point to better protect the other node. They still continue rushing mid one by one when we are playing side nodes to split up the 3 reapers. This then continues and even when you are winning they will get kitteny, go for that third node and throw the game. No matter how many times I say in team chat at the beginning to hold 2 nodes they run around aimlessly on the map like it is PvE roaming.

What amuses me the most about people and this is that if people on losing streaks complain about the PvE heroes we get teamed with we get told to “git gud” and learn to carry our teammates but those same people hate the old system because they don’t want to have bad players on their team. Isn’t that a bit hypocritical? It’s ok for average players or even slightly below average players to have bad players after losing enough times but keep them off your team because it affects you personally and you don’t want to have to carry anyone?

(edited by Shadow.1345)

in PvP

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

What If you started in emerald or something and could rank down to amber, would that separate the skill levels quicker?

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in PvP

Posted by: jessiestiles.9437

jessiestiles.9437

It doesn’t even make sense why it happened like that. My first two matches we won by 300-400 then my third match on, for no aparent reason whatsoever, i’m considered as low as person who has difficulty moving and pressing skills at the same time.