Season 4 Ranked Matchmaking Change

in PvP

Posted by: mysticsicness.7598

mysticsicness.7598

This season is complete kitten . I thought GW2 had a much better ranked system than Overwatch, but now it has completely flip flopped. I worked my way up the MMR soloq, so I would not have to play with baddies. Not to mention balance team is failing every step of the way. Been playing GW2 since release, but now I think it is time to leave this scene.

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

Its AVERAGE MMR of your Team AVERAGE of enemy team MMR. From a pool of 10 people taken within a certain PIP range. So yeah you can have high MMR players and low MMR players. The MM will try and create 2 teams with an even chance of winning.

Exactly! why do I have to try harder because the low mmr players don’t want to get good?

It’s almost as if ANET is attempting a mmr reset by forcing all players to win / lose at insane rates for next year.

You do realise right that if you have high MMR and are getting low MMR people put on your team the EXACT same thing is a happening on the other team. So it’s an even fight (or should be in theory). So when you come up against those low MMR people on the other team you should be blowing them out of the water. However when you face the high MMR on their team, well the better player will stand victorious it’s just a matter if it’s you or him…..

No one could or should expect to win every time, that would be saying you think you deserve easy (free) wins or are the best player out there. Which by the way, even the best players (and this even goes for real life sports people and such, chess masters etc included) still have losses or a bad day.

Not at all, you are wrong, see bold comment

Top 20% MMR got paired with Bottom 20% MMR and are going versus AVERAGE MMR players.

This means, that the other team have more chance than being average than having the same configuration than you. For population we have much more average players than terribad or decent players.

So even if you carry far 1v2 capped for your team all matches, if you got 2 super terribad players fighting off-point and dying each 20 sec (I got a lot of that yesterday)… well you lose versus AVERAGE MMR.

This Means, your MMR is dropping like candies, because the system match you with the worse of players…

This means that you will lose your best players, because they don’t want to suffer that again.

So, your average players got to play with those terribad one for the last month of the seasons… you will QQ about queue time and how bad players make those games for you… but it was for us, at the start of the season.

Unranked matches are way better than any League one for proper MMR. Terribad rarely meet good players in there. It’s AVG with GOOD, AVG with BAD.

Hmm this is interesting if true and new to me and not what I thought I read from what was posted from the Devs….

However we have 5 people on each team right so the question would be:

If the top 20% are being paired with the bottom 20% you would think 2 players on 1 team are the top 20% and the other 2 are the bottom 20%. So where does the 5th person come from? Bottom again or middle? I think that would make the difference, well in my mind anyway……

If another top 20% you should be expecting to win more often if you are the top. If another bottom then yes maybe bad for the top 20%. If middle, ideal situation? I guess only the metrics could tell us and of course only anet has access to that.

So the question is, where are we each individually? Are we in the middle, bottom or top? From what people are saying here the top and bottom 20% are screwed while the middle are better off? I also guess sometimes we may fall in all of these categories ourselves sooner or later and we may even see it happening already thus the win/loss sort of nature.

For myself I have had 41 games so far this season with 26 wins so I guess most often I have been in the middle? No idea what to make of all of this tbh. Either way I am going up slowly it seems but the fights are definitely far better for me than they were last season and I am actually getting better win streaks than loss streaks.

But still, I would prefer a system that I thought it was. Take 10 ppl from the pool and put them in a match. Take the top 2 and put one on each team and continue that until you have 2 teams made. Would that not be the fairest system? It seems no matter what they do each season they want it to favour/please a certain % of the population and then change it the next season. Sounds familiar, pretty much how the flavour/cheese of the month/season classes/builds are working too…

Edit: changed the numbers of games play/win ratio as I confirmed from logging in rather than guesstimates.

We don’t know. Anet is hiding our MMR like it is a super top secret, because they know their system is full of flaw that people would speak about on forum.

Ostrich Heads.

But from my understanding and experiences, when I trio queue with two high mmr player… we always get super bad players.

If I trio queue with underrated player, we got below average random.

The goals is to place AVG MMR team togethers without trying to make team with the same MMR.

This is all speculations based on experiences and people reporting this on forum or ts or map chat or…

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: Dustin.2793

Dustin.2793

A message from the PvP Team:

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago we posted a small update on this forum about how we intend to make a number of system changes to improve the PvP league experience. While the bigger changes we’ll be making to leagues won’t be ready in time for Season 4, we’d like to let you know about a change that will be in effect for this upcoming season.

With the start of Season 4, we’ll be returning to Season 1’s style of matchmaking which focuses on creating the most balanced teams from the players queueing within your pip range. This change may widen the skill range of players in each division, but we feel that increased match quality is worth the trade-off of reduced prestige for this season. During Season 2 and 3 we added two league features that greatly impacted your ability to climb: start-of-season division placement based on previous season performance and win/lose streak pips, and both of these features will remain enabled for Season 4.

We’re not at a point where we’re able to discuss the changes we’ll be making to PvP Leagues for future seasons, but making rewards more accessible for casual players and making divisions prestigious and a more accurate indicator of skill are among our highest priorities.

Thanks,

The PvP team

I’m going to be 100 percent honest and say the matchmaking is pure garbage. On a positive note thank you for the extra hard training for worlds

Magic Toker // Thief // The Abjured
http://www.twitch.tv/magictoker

in PvP

Posted by: Dustin.2793

Dustin.2793

It’s appalling that anything from season 1 would be re-implemented or, even brought up. I’d like to think “Season 1” would be treated the same as saying Voldemort in the Harry Potter series.

Magic Toker // Thief // The Abjured
http://www.twitch.tv/magictoker

in PvP

Posted by: Fivedawgs.4267

Fivedawgs.4267

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago we posted a small update on this forum about how we intend to make a number of system changes to improve the PvP league experience. While the bigger changes we’ll be making to leagues won’t be ready in time for Season 4, we’d like to let you know about a change that will be in effect for this upcoming season.

With the start of Season 4, we’ll be returning to Season 1’s style of matchmaking which focuses on creating the most balanced teams from the players queueing within your pip range. This change may widen the skill range of players in each division, but we feel that increased match quality is worth the trade-off of reduced prestige for this season. During Season 2 and 3 we added two league features that greatly impacted your ability to climb: start-of-season division placement based on previous season performance and win/lose streak pips, and both of these features will remain enabled for Season 4.

We’re not at a point where we’re able to discuss the changes we’ll be making to PvP Leagues for future seasons, but making rewards more accessible for casual players and making divisions prestigious and a more accurate indicator of skill are among our highest priorities.

Thanks,

The PvP team

I’m going to be 100 percent honest and say the matchmaking is pure garbage. On a positive note thank you for the extra hard training for worlds

Lol toker? I thought you were on Anet Payroll?

Read the second statement and I agree.. I guess we all welcome the challenge since we have nothing to lose but our MMR.

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

“Ranked PvP matchmaking has been updated to create the most even matches possible within your pip range.”

So, 2 necro + 3 heavy vs 2 thieves + 0 heavy is “most even match possible”? With an expected result like 500-50?

Come on, guys. Stop lying please and admit your incompetence. Then hire decent programmers so we can enjoy really even matches. Thank you.

Its because ANET does not implement class specific MMR and only account MMR. So there is no way for them to determine how class comp will affect the result. They are simply looking at your account mmr vs other peoples account mmr.

That’s not what this says:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Matchmaking_Algorithm

But I don’t think I believe this at all or it is outdated. I see class stacking many times. Just yesterday I was an Ele on a team of 4 Guardians and no they were not premade….

The revision history says the page hasn’t been touched since march 2016, seeing as we’ve gone back to Dec 2015 matchmaking ¯¯\(?)/¯¯ .

in PvP

Posted by: mysticsicness.7598

mysticsicness.7598

This season is not fun at all. Garbage balance combined with sorry matchmaking system. The fact that my friends list is void and 6 minute queue times in sapphire says it all.

in PvP

Posted by: Shadow.1345

Shadow.1345

At this point I really don’t think it is possible to make people happy with matchmaking. Pros are mad they have to carry bads after telling bads to to carry their team in order to stop losing 20 games in a row. Don’t give them bads on their teams and they rush up to Legendary they complain about queue times being too long and nothing to do. Bads get farmed, then get tired of playing and pvp population drops and pros complain that ANet is doing nothing to keep the PvP population strong. And let’s face it anything a bad complains about is just met with “git gud” and “l2p” ie. their complaints are invalid in the eyes of pros because they don’t care if bads are enjoying the game because their enjoyment doesn’t matter even though they represent a majority of the population.

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

This season is complete kitten . I thought GW2 had a much better ranked system than Overwatch, but now it has completely flip flopped.

OW ranked system has issues but it is better than every iteration of GW2 ranked system this year.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: SneakyTouchy.6043

SneakyTouchy.6043

I just want a legitimate ranking system. Matching wouldn’t be such a problem if ranking had been designed to keep bad players from achieving high ranks. The safety nets are the biggest issue.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

At this point I really don’t think it is possible to make people happy with matchmaking. Pros are mad they have to carry bads after telling bads to to carry their team in order to stop losing 20 games in a row. Don’t give them bads on their teams and they rush up to Legendary they complain about queue times being too long and nothing to do. Bads get farmed, then get tired of playing and pvp population drops and pros complain that ANet is doing nothing to keep the PvP population strong. And let’s face it anything a bad complains about is just met with “git gud” and “l2p” ie. their complaints are invalid in the eyes of pros because they don’t care if bads are enjoying the game because their enjoyment doesn’t matter even though they represent a majority of the population.

Interesting perspective, in your eyes it seems you think pros are doing most of the complaining and babyrage, outside a few notables, it’s not a very big or vocal population. It’s the below average solo queuer who has been getting wrecked and being justified in speaking against it for the last two seasons, this is the reason we’re back to this matchmaking.

Also the entirety of this thread being filled with complaints, keep in mind that after pip ranges are settled, the game will have a smaller spread of player skill levels to create these high skill gap matches.

It should be better for every skill level when you’re pushing your upper division limit.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: Permafrost.2695

Permafrost.2695

Season 3 really seem to hit the sweet spot on match-making. The main issue was lack of punishment for AFKs. I was absolutely thrilled otherwise. I’m flabbergasted we went back to the trash of season 1.

in PvP

Posted by: Shadow.1345

Shadow.1345

Interesting perspective, in your eyes it seems you think pros are doing most of the complaining and babyrage, outside a few notables, it’s not a very big or vocal population. It’s the below average solo queuer who has been getting wrecked and being justified in speaking against it for the last two seasons, this is the reason we’re back to this matchmaking.

Also the entirety of this thread being filled with complaints, keep in mind that after pip ranges are settled, the game will have a smaller spread of player skill levels to create these high skill gap matches.

It should be better for every skill level when you’re pushing your upper division limit.

Nope.

First, by “pros” I am using that as a small word to denote high level players, pro players or not, to match a small word for lower level players “bads”. Second my response was to this seasons response to matchmaking.

Over the last two previous seasons the majority of the complaints have been from lower level players who were frustrated with getting farmed. The other portion was people who did the farming complaining about a lack of “end game” so to say as well as some complaints about lack of competitive matches.

An all too typical response to the complaints about getting farmed was “you have to carry”. Then when the higher level players don’t have a bunch of matches against noobs and get paired with some they mimic the same protestations from the noobs. “How do you carry when you are 1v2 at one point and your teammates keep dying in off point fights?” “How do I hold two points when I can only be one point at a time?” Etc.

The players getting farmed complained, and justifiably as you put it, about not having fun, the higher MMR players for the most part dismissed them with comments about getting good, learning to play and carrying. Hence my comment about the complaints of lower MMR players being viewed as not worthy of complaint by people because it is a l2p issue and not a matchmaking one. Then given that only a few of the upper tier players seemed to notice this being a problem, enough to vocalize it, that caused a not fun experience I do find a certain lack of empathy for those now complaining about having to carry bads on their team. Particularly after watching pro players scout HotM for really low MMR players in order to lower their MMR via averaging the two for the party.

Thus my believe is that the top tier players will never be happy with matchmaking, no matter how it is implemented, while a majority of the players will just be happy not getting farmed all day.

Not that I didn’t expect my first comment to ruffle feathers in the first place. I’m sure more feathers will be ruffled when they pick which parts they want to get their feathers ruffled over.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

It is season one all over again. Im out. Was giving gw2 pvp a last shot the last few days, but matchmaking was absolutely horrible.

Getting matched with players that actually WAIT FOR BEAST SPAWN on forest map, double capping home node… nah… Im too good for that kitten. Im done.

Someone else can carry those, my time has gotten too valuable for this kitten.

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

It is season one all over again. Im out. Was giving gw2 pvp a last shot the last few days, but matchmaking was absolutely horrible.

Getting matched with players that actually WAIT FOR BEAST SPAWN on forest map, double capping home node… nah… Im too good for that kitten. Im done.

Someone else can carry those, my time has gotten too valuable for this kitten.

Lol, I do it for da challenge! !!

in PvP

Posted by: Loathar.9375

Loathar.9375

Hello everyone,

Thanks,

The PvP team

Seems like the general consensus of your reversion back to season 1 matchmaking so far is clear. I for one wasn’t even around during season 1 but after what I’ve been reading, I clearly understand what people are talking about. It is THE WORST for a soloQ player like myself.

I literally just quit the game right before this post after another 3 hours of playing with win/loss/win/loss ad infinitum. But, this time I’m at TWO pips of tier 1 emerald instead of zero lol…I don’t think I’ll be able to stand this grindfest idea of yours.

I read some of the other suggestions about changing the pip system as well and I REALLY hope you guys take some suggestions to heart very soon, because I like others feel like this is a total mess. I thought I’d give it another go today, sad to say though that I had the same result as I did yesterday.

in PvP

SneakyTouchy.6043

The match quality in unranked is better.

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Every season people say just wait it out and pip will settle etc. Hasn’t happened at all in the past 3 seasons and I don’t see it happening this season.

This matchmaking is utterly trash and I see no reason people with 1000+ ranked wins should get put with people who double cap home node or 4 man the beast at start.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

It’s appalling that anything from season 1 would be re-implemented or, even brought up. I’d like to think “Season 1” would be treated the same as saying Voldemort in the Harry Potter series.

Ha, ha, but seriously. Why did we return to the Season that Shall Not Be Named? Season 3 was the best. Why did we move away from that?

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

(edited by Archon.6480)

in PvP

Posted by: Loathar.9375

Loathar.9375

Serious question here: How many people from the PvP team over there at Anet have played so far with this new system as soloQ? How could someone from the PvP team who say, experiences what I have experienced and think to themselves, “I want to do this!”? “This is balanced and fun!”?

Please consider changes to this system, so far it has been a terrible experience for me and others.

Currently as it is, I have to either find a PvP guild to run premade with and work my way up, or give up entirely on progress this season as solo.

in PvP

Posted by: SlimChance.6593

SlimChance.6593

Well since there’s nothing but negative on this post, I figured I would add my two cents.

Started in Emerald and the first 5-6 games were win-lose-win-loae. Then I tweaked my build a bit and won 9 in a row. The only games that were blow ours were when there was an afk. The others have been way better than the past 2 seasons. Out of my 15 or so games 2 where right down to the wire. 501 -499. 500 – 496.

Don’t know why I’m having good matches when apparently everyone else is having horrible ones?

This season is way better than the first 3. I think that’s mostly cause the balance is better. Not good, but way, way, way better than before.

Eccho, Echo Oread – Mesmers (Yak’s Bend)
My EchoRupt Build - Forum Post

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

Well since there’s nothing but negative on this post, I figured I would add my two cents.

Started in Emerald and the first 5-6 games were win-lose-win-loae. Then I tweaked my build a bit and won 9 in a row. The only games that were blow ours were when there was an afk. The others have been way better than the past 2 seasons. Out of my 15 or so games 2 where right down to the wire. 501 -499. 500 – 496.

Don’t know why I’m having good matches when apparently everyone else is having horrible ones?

This season is way better than the first 3. I think that’s mostly cause the balance is better. Not good, but way, way, way better than before.

Bolded statement is completely false, last season was a lot better.

in PvP

Posted by: Masako.5364

Masako.5364

Its because ANET does not implement class specific MMR and only account MMR. So there is no way for them to determine how class comp will affect the result. They are simply looking at your account mmr vs other peoples account mmr.

That’s why my advice is to hire programmers who can write function which uses two input parameters (can’t express sarcasm well enough with words only).

Or more simple solution – totally random matchmaking within the division (premade groups should match groups with same number of people). Optional: avoid class dupes and keep armor classes even.
It just can’t be worse than matchmaker Anet wrote.
But it’ll never happen…

in PvP

SlimChance.6593

Its not a statement. Its an opinion. Just like yours.

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

This match making is very bad. Please revert it to S2 or 3…

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

Nope, i am sorry but mine is a fact. The class balance was a lot better last season, you had no OP class, every class was relatively close to one another. This season DH are over the top.

And the algorithm is crap, and i don’t have to explain it to you but just ask Anet why they tried to scrap it though. Having 5 5 1 5 5 vs 4 4 4 4 4 shouldn’t be a thing.

(edited by Fivedawgs.4267)

in PvP

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

The fact is that player MMR has been so mucked up as a result of the first three seasons, coupled with new players getting average MMR. As a result, the full circle back to season 1 MMR is now equally as mucked.

I think the original season one would have been the best (pure ranked MMR at that point) had it not been for the smurfing, legends carrying amber teammates and bunker mesmer issues.

Sadly we can’t get to that now. I truly hope Anet has a good solution in mind for the next iteration of seasons.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in PvP

Posted by: Cruzy.3706

Cruzy.3706

The fact is that player MMR has been so mucked up as a result of the first three seasons, coupled with new players getting average MMR. As a result, the full circle back to season 1 MMR is now equally as mucked.

I think the original season one would have been the best (pure ranked MMR at that point) had it not been for the smurfing, legends carrying amber teammates and bunker mesmer issues.

Sadly we can’t get to that now. I truly hope Anet has a good solution in mind for the next iteration of seasons.

This is so true!

At the beginning Anet introduced a league with 4 Seasons so far with S4 beeing the last. They know that they delivered a not so good system by the end of S1. They tried to fix S2 and S3 but it did not work. By the end of S3 they knew that this kind of league/system would not work. So they gave up this season. S4 was sloppy introduced with MM S1. They put no effort in it and there is not even a title yet.

Let’s be honest this hole system from S1 to S4 was/is a huge joke in this game. It maybe would have worked in another game but not GW2. But I am not even disappointed at S4 because Anet can not change the hole pip system in the last season. My guess is that they work on a total different system. But my hope for that is close to non existent.

Unfortunatly Anet prefers to reward the casuals and make the game more and more easier. This can not be healthy.

in PvP

Posted by: Aereniel.7356

Aereniel.7356

Chaith, could you please elaborate? I don’t think I quite understand your reasoning about the smaller skill spread. The way S4 match making is supposed to work actually increases the Glicko rating spread in all divisions compared with previous seasons, as well as produces slower and less accurate division settling of players as the season progresses. This is because match outcomes gravitate towards 50/50 win-loss, and players of all Glicko rating levels progress in the ladder at a pace that is determined by games played, not skill level. Poor players can and will progress just as fast as good players, and eventually settle across all league divisions. Similarly, good players are spread out on all divisions, because some will stop playing at a lower division than what their Glicko rating would indicate. This creates a noticeably wider skill rating spread across all divisions than during S2 and S3.

As far as I can see, this season’s team formation will have a pretty hefty skill spread all the way through the season, because players will not settle in the same way they did in S2 and S3. The match outcomes will be largely decided by which team has more low-rated players or the absolutely most abject player found. This situation will be the same no matter which division you are in, from Amber to Legend.

So, when you are duoing with Toker late this season in Legend, the two of you will have to carry three of the most bottom-barrel monkeys imaginable, whereas in S2 and S3 your team mates were only mildly terrible.

Fun, innit?

Been here since launch
Legend S1-S3 with 100% solo queue 100% conquest
Filthy casual, 6k sPvP games

in PvP

Posted by: Madman.6912

Madman.6912

Seeing a lot of people complain, made me write this comment. Even though I am rare to praise Anet for anything, my personal experience with S4 are mostly positive so far.

I have played ~20 games, I am generally more on the casual side of players, and also probably what most of these top players in this thread would consider bad (usually stop around sapphire), but still I enjoy pvp and I got to say I hardly had any bad games this season so far. and that I mean unbalanced stompfests with <100 scores and such.
This is by far the most important improvement for me so that I can enjoy the games I am playing, this is what keeps me playing in fact.

Sure there are problems, sure you will be grouped with worse players when you start out because it will probably be lower than your level, so you have to get there first in this season, that happened to me as well. Losing game after game in the lower leagues despite having double the score of the any other player, these are frustrating things for sure, but in my opinion it is nowhere near as soul destroying as having a score of 0-150 after 2 minutes into the game with no chance of ever changing the trend…

So I just want to say, I genuinely enjoy the MM this season. of course it is not perfect but nothing is, it is by far the best I think…

(Comment on others mentioning class balance and so on, I am purely talking about games being 2-sided and generally enjoyable by both sides, nothing else)

in PvP

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Being grouped with badies isn’t much of a problem if the opponents also has them to balance things out. The season’s problem is going to be progression on the ladder if the aim is an overall 50/50 w/l.

4 seasons later Anet still hasn’t decide to whom the seasons are for: the casual who would like a reward track or the hard core who want a real division system.

in PvP

SlimChance.6593

Nope, i am sorry but mine is a fact. The class balance was a lot better last season, you had no OP class, every class was relatively close to one another. This season DH are over the top.

And the algorithm is crap, and i don’t have to explain it to you but just ask Anet why they tried to scrap it though. Having 5 5 1 5 5 vs 4 4 4 4 4 shouldn’t be a thing.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not fact. Everything we see is perspective, not the truth.” Marcues Aurelius

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not fact. Everything we see is perspective, not the truth.” Marcues Aurelius

If that’s the case then my statement is more factual than yours, I d hate to waste time delineating why.

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

It will be always the case. Pip range don’t show skill at all, except for the first week or two.

It would be better to match bads (1,2,3), average (4,5,6,7) and decent (8,9,10) together without the pip range for faster queue. A 10 Amber, is still a 10.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: Light Of The Abyss.5927

Light Of The Abyss.5927

Then given that only a few of the upper tier players seemed to notice this being a problem, enough to vocalize it, that caused a not fun experience I do find a certain lack of empathy for those now complaining about having to carry bads on their team. Particularly after watching pro players scout HotM for really low MMR players in order to lower their MMR via averaging the two for the party.

The only reason higher MMR players were doing that was to play games…. Without lower MMR in their party, the queue time would be up to 4 hours long. You are misinterpreting intentions and it seems pretty clear you have a strong bias against skilled players lol.

Delpfine Drake

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

It will be always the case. Pip range don’t show skill at all, except for the first week or two.

It would be better to match bads (1,2,3), average (4,5,6,7) and decent (8,9,10) together without the pip range for faster queue. A 10 Amber, is still a 10.

This. Make the pips the results, not the source of matchmaking.

Increase pips for wins/losses according to averaged mmr of both teams or according to personal mmr (depending on matchmaking used), to make people with higher mmr (and therefor tougher matchups) progress faster.

But the most important change needed, is a separate mmr for everybody, for when he/she is queueing as a part of a team. So nobody can inflate his/her mmr by queueing with players that are leagues above his/her skill level.

in PvP

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

But wasn’t it the biggest issue for season 1? I mean the top players had actually more challenging fights than beginners improving so in the end the top players were climbing the league slower then average player. Hence the league was not displaying skills.
That is why they went to season 2 MM, that is all good players within a pip range were paired together against the worse so they could crush them and climb the league faster until they found a pip range where players were equally skilled. In that case there was frustration from both side because games were either to hard or not challenging enough.

Maybe a better solution would be to give more pips than one in case of victory, but contrary to season 1, not to players beating the odds but based on MMR compared to team rating or compared to the league you are in (for example top 20 % MMR in amber gain 5 pips then 4 in emerald…). In other word allow the good players to escape low levels more rapidly.

(edited by Ranael.6423)

in PvP

Posted by: Interpret Interrupt.3824

Interpret Interrupt.3824

Not going to lie matchmaking is pretty grindy at the moment.
But I would play with the most terrible matchmaking if they could somehow implement no class stacking in the ranked matchup.
I would deal with perma downstate all day knowing that there is no stacking.

If you implement such a rule for your highest level of play and do not carry it down to your “casual/lower levels” how do you expect players to enjoy the game the same way?

K Pop
The Warrior, The Necro, The F1 Connoisseur
http://www.twitch.tv/interpretinterrupt

in PvP

Posted by: Light Of The Abyss.5927

Light Of The Abyss.5927

But I would play with the most terrible matchmaking if they could somehow implement no class stacking in the ranked matchup.

If you implement such a rule for your highest level of play and do not carry it down to your “casual/lower levels” how do you expect players to enjoy the game the same way?

+1

Delpfine Drake

in PvP

Posted by: Reverze.7180

Reverze.7180

So far my progression is loose 10 a 15 matches in a row then suddently get a 3 winning streak to gain one tier then the circkle repeat in emerald. now i perma stuck in last tier of emerald…..Din’t play on s1 learned my stuff in s2 got diamond in s3 i worked on my mmr and now one day before s4 starts you do this.But why????Pretty sure my mmr is kittenty again now so don’t even bother rerolling to s3 system thx alot needed ruby this season but aint seeing that happening.

angry customer

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

so much truth in this statement.

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

+1

However its easy to verbally give a rule to ESL games but to code it into the game is a lot more difficult because they would have to prevent class switching and hopefully also implement class MMR.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

+1

However its easy to verbally give a rule to ESL games but to code it into the game is a lot more difficult because they would have to prevent class switching and hopefully also implement class MMR.

I fear anet would do this kitten.

Stop character changing, without adding the matchmaking restriction for no more than 1 class…

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

in PvP

Posted by: Elegie.3620

Elegie.3620

67 matches played in this new league. This is my first league. Most games are… incredibly bad. I can down some of my opponents in matter of seconds. Some of my team mates go down in matters of seconds as well. Each game is a big WTF. I’ve tried to rotate differently, many times, tried to adjust, tried to think… I’m at a loss at what to do now, a bit upset about it.

How many matches must I play until it becomes balanced and enjoyable?I believe I’ve invested way too much time already in that failure of a league, I’m on the verge of giving up, and telling all my friends and guild mates about that disastrous experience, so that they stay away from that plague.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

If i could say something about the MM,

1) its not perfect but it will never be because peoples skills are so different. For instance i was in a match with 4 ESL players and im playing mesmer and i havent played it since before HOT. I had paul on ranger on my team and he rezzed me twice in a 2 vs 2 where duck ( on thief) eventually killed me. We won the match but i basically was just there rotating getting my wins on mesmer.

2) Dont blame other players/ classes. Once again the skill differences between players are huge. Saying something is OP because its easy to play such as Dh might be OP to the average player but not everyone struggles with the same thing.

3) Trash talking doesnt come from the top players usually. In this ranked match, duck didnt say anything after farming me for 1/2 the game and paul didnt say anything after rezzing me 4-5 times in say or team chat. Obviously some of them do say something but for the most part they just play. I literally has 2-3 matches where the one doing all the talking was losing fights. I saw this necro lose a 1 vs 1 to a warrior and a Dh in the same match and he tried blaming the ele and thief on our team.

The only thing i feel anet MM system needs to do is fix class balance for teams. Like when one team has 2-3 thieves and the other team has 2 dh and 2 revs. I mean these are the reasons for lopsided matches for then anything unless people are playing ventari rev or spirit weapons guardian.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Basket of Boxes.1976

Basket of Boxes.1976

I think the queue times speak for themselves, it has been only a few days into this season and I am already noticing queue times greater than 5 minutes only to end up playing with mostly the same people you did the match before. Usually you get a few good weeks out of the season before this happens.

in PvP

Posted by: Elegie.3620

Elegie.3620

Enough is enough, I give up. The match making is just not working for me. Every match, I see one of my team mate going down in less than 10 seconds, mostly in 1v1. There’s too much of a gap between the levels of the players in a game. Each game is a roulette, the winner of which being the team not having the worst player of all 10.

This was my first league, and my memories of it will be the most painful of all in the game. I’ll make sure to relate my experience to my friends, to make sure they don’t waste their time with the league.

Aside from this frustration, this is a big disappointment. I like the fighting so much in this game, that I don’t mind the balance issues here and there, nor the profession bugs. What really disappoints me is that there seems to be no technical value in matchmaking, nothing new to invent, and that seemingly bigger challenges have already been solved in GW2… and yet it does not work.

Good luck to those persisting in the league, I hope you’ll have a good gaming experience there, living exciting and intense moments, and possibly making friends.

in PvP

SneakyTouchy.6043

Is it actually “grindy”?? It seems more like it’s setup to stop progress completely for anyone who’s not tanking their MMR.

If you’re SoloQ and don’t cheat by deliberately throwing games, you won’t progress period.

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

Is it actually “grindy”?? It seems more like it’s setup to stop progress completely for anyone who’s not tanking their MMR.

If you’re SoloQ and don’t cheat by deliberately throwing games, you won’t progress period.

Stuck in T2 ruby since day 2 so august 11… working on a new build though.

in PvP

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

It is impossible not to rise at 50/50. They give you extra pips for win streaks. If you played LoL you would understand that this is much nicer. The MMR might be bad but for a skilled player the ranking up is easier as long as you keep getting win streaks to make up for losses. You can have 49% win rate maybe even lower depending on win streak frequency and climb. This is the best ranked system I have ever played because it takes win streaks and afk into account. No other ranked game can say boast the same features. The real issue is balance and the Player pool

Yes I am bringing it up. The only reason players keep getting stuck with the same noobs is there are not enough players to average things out. The pvp Playerbase is too small. If they can respond to players faster and get the playerbase to rise the unfair matchmaking will diminish and they can work on the small tweeks from there. (This is why they made the good move of Free to play pvp) They really should make the whole pvp area F2P regardless of expansions and leave pve Buy2P completely. This will improve revenue for the game and player satisfaction as well as increase the player base dramatically.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game