Sigil Update

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

The PvP team is investigating opportunities to update the sigils available in the game mode. This means removing, adding, balancing, and reworking. Our high-level goals include reducing RNG gameplay, promoting counter-play, reducing raw damage output, and removing ineffective choices. Some example changes would be removing on-kill stacking sigils and changing proc sigils to on-next-attack effects.

We are looking for feedback on these goals and potential changes. Feel free to suggest new sigils, sigils that exist in other game modes, or feedback on current sigils.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: MadVisions.4529

MadVisions.4529

holly shlt this just happened

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: tomwjd.8172

tomwjd.8172

Hm, not sure how I would feel if they changed on crit sigils… which is like an indirect nerf to ammys w/ precision.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Hm, not sure how I would feel if they changed on crit sigils… which is like an indirect nerf to ammys w/ precision.

I’m pretty sure precision amulets are viable without needing “on-crit” sigils. However on-crit are one of the build limiters that create meaningful build choices. (like having to forgo torment sigil and bleeding sigil on carrion and sage builds)

On-hit sigils definitely need to be changed. Effects with 10% proc chance on top of a ICD is just stupid RNG. cough sigil of ice cough

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

(edited by Crinn.7864)

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Ivantreil.3092

Ivantreil.3092

Adding sigils that reward ferocity is one of the thing i could see being nice.

The access to ferocity is so little, vary few runes focus on ferocity, not to mention these runes have gimmicky effects or are trapped inside class especific effects.

PvP Rifle Engi player no matter how dark the meta is.

Metabattle: Drunk Engineer build

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Glytch.2489

Glytch.2489

I would love to see the interrupt sigils that were added in HoT put in pvp

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Those make a lot more sense in PvP than PvE anyway.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Blades Of Fatalis.1279

Blades Of Fatalis.1279

Dear anet, please make any of these sigil changes that you make effect all of the game modes instead of just pvp.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Blades Of Fatalis.1279

Blades Of Fatalis.1279

Ill add some of my suggestions to this post that were in the other one:
Sigils:
X amount of bleed on interrupt
Clear/transfer 1 condi on interrupt.
Change generosity and purity sigils to be less rng reliant for sure.
cleansing sigils should be added.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

On-hit sigils definitely need to be changed. Effects with 10% proc chance on top of a ICD is just stupid RNG. cough sigil of ice cough

I think a fixed lower bound to proc is fine. A fixed upper bound to complement would be excellent, though realistically it’s unlikely to make much practical difference.

I definitely think of them as, ideally, being effectively a “bell curve” around an ideal activation time — eg: they should aim to proc approximately once every 6 seconds, but could be as frequent as every 2 seconds or as infrequent as every 10 seconds, with either extreme being less likely. Still has that “lucky streak” feel to it, but it’s also reasonably reliable.

For what value it has, though, Blizzard did find it valuable to do just that, and/or implement “bad luck protection” in which the change gradually rose to 100 percent after sufficient “nopes” from the RNG, on similar abilities over in their game.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: lucadiro.4519

lucadiro.4519

I would like to see “on crit” sigils scale with ferocity and not Power. So mender and paladin amulet user can’t benefit from them

And is like years that I would like to see a nerf at Doom+geomancy sigils

Parabrezza

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: btballenger.2583

btballenger.2583

Sigil of Deflection: Knocks back an opponent (distance 150-300?) who has X damage blocked within Y seconds, maybe with an internal cooldown.

Could be an interesting way to promote timing blocks against bursts, sort of like a “perfect block” skill.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

I don’t know about everything else but on kill sigils definitely need to go. Lose one team fight in PVP and all of a sudden the enemy has a huge power or condi damage boost and in WvW it makes coming across people in 1v1 scenarios a hassle if you’re not running an on kill stacking sigil. So you basically have to go around killing random mobs for 10 minutes before going out and fighting other players or miss out on a damage boost.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Luto.1938

Luto.1938

When reducing “Raw damage output” make sure to look into Condition damage in PvP as well. Maybe even revert PvP condition stacks to stack in Duration rather than intensity, or a mix of both maybe.

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

When reducing “Raw damage output” make sure to look into Condition damage in PvP as well. Maybe even revert PvP condition stacks to stack in Duration rather than intensity, or a mix of both maybe.

Its context is regarding sigils.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

First: You want a buff to be present on a user’s buff bar when they have a sigil ready to activate. This is very important so your opponents know what you have available and so you know what you have available.

So there are a lot of great opportunities to improve sigil desirability here, but I want to keep the “on critical hit” sigils still requiring a critical hit to reward having precision on one’s build. The goal here would be to make the effect result from every critical, but (in some cases) have reduced effect such that it maintains similar overall efficacy. Sigil of Air could probably do with having lower damage, but applying 100% of the time when off cooldown. Example:

Current Sigil of Earth
60% Chance on Critical: Inflict Bleeding (5 seconds) (Cooldown: 2 seconds)
Proposed Sigil of Earth
On Critical: Inflict Bleeding (5 seconds) (Cooldown: 2 seconds)

Chance on hit sigils, however, should always fire on next hit when they are off CD. No RNG involved. Example:

Current Sigil of Frailty
50% Chance Hit: Vulnerability (10 seconds) (Cooldown: 2s)

Proposed Sigil of Frailty
On Hit: Vulnerability (10 seconds) (Cooldown: 2s)

Condition duration sigils are very weak overall. No one runs them over much stronger sigils, and while they’re niche they should reward their niche when used.

Current Condition Duration Sigils
+20% Specific Condition Duration

Proposed Condition Duration Sigils
+33% Specific Condition Duration

On interrupt sigils are great for play and counterplay, but realistically don’t have nearly enough impact to actually sway a fight in favor of someone who successfully lands an interrupt. I would recommend improving the effects for them across the board by a solid percent.

I think that on kill sigils are silly, and either are completely unusable or extremely strong. While they reward good gameplay (not going down), they also largely feel underutilized. I feel like most of these could be made Below are some suggestions for how to make these more usable. Note that these are just ideas and the numbers are merely suggestions.

Sigil of Luck
Gain a random boon every 10 seconds
Sigil of Restoration
On Critical: You’re Healed (~400hp) (Cooldown: 10 seconds)
Sigil of Speed
Gain 5 seconds of swiftness every 10 seconds
Sigil of Stamina
Gain 20 endurance back whenever you dodge
Sigil of Benevolence
Gain +20% outgoing healing effectiveness on weapon swap (7 seconds) (Cooldown: 9 seconds)
Sigil of Bloodlust
Gain 5 stacks when you kill something. +10 Power per stack
Sigil of Celerity
On Critical: Gain Quickness (2 seconds) (Cooldown: 12 seconds)
Sigil of Corruption
On Critical: Corrupt a Boon (Cooldown: 10 seconds)
Sigil of Cruelty
Gain +10% critical damage
Sigil of Demon Summoning
On Critical: Summon a Fleshreaver (30 seconds) (Cooldown: 60 seconds)
Sigil of Life
You’re healed by 50% when you kill something. (Cooldown: 60 seconds)
Sigil of Momentum
On Critical: Gain Protection (2 seconds) (Cooldown: 10 seconds)
Sigil of Perception
Removes blind the next time it is applied to you (Cooldown: 5 seconds)

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Do you really want mace/shield warrior to get even stronger? I play war in pvp and even I would not want those sigils in pvp. Not to mention thieves with headshot getting more powerful.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

The PvP team is investigating opportunities to update the sigils available in the game mode. This means removing, adding, balancing, and reworking. Our high-level goals include reducing RNG gameplay, promoting counter-play, reducing raw damage output, and removing ineffective choices. Some example changes would be removing on-kill stacking sigils and changing proc sigils to on-next-attack effects.

We are looking for feedback on these goals and potential changes. Feel free to suggest new sigils, sigils that exist in other game modes, or feedback on current sigils.

Question. When you say this do you mean reduce raw damage output in general, o reduce raw damage output that comes specifically from sigils? Because its an important distinction.

Regardless I do want to see some sigils removed. I think that sigils like hydromancy/geomancy that damage enemies purely for swapping weapons is an outdated concept and doesn’t add anything except damage spam to the game mode. I really would love to see them removed. Swapping to a weapon happens when you want to gain an advantage in the current fight, whether that is more pressure, more defense or more mobility. You shouldn’t gain an extra advantage of dealing potentially several thousand damage from weapon swapping. And they just make it absolutely trivial to add cover conditions. You don’t even have to think about it and do it intelligently.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Chrury.4627

Chrury.4627

Rising Dusk makes some good points and suggestions. I agree that on crit sigils are fine as a concept and that on kill sigils are meh. On interrupt sigils are interesting in concept but not really strong enough to take (Maybe on X/P Thief?).

My suggestion would be to look at filling out what you have already. Add the missing conditions and stats to the options even if they might be silly.

+5% Crit Damage
+5% Health
+5% Armor
+5% Healing (I guess Transference is kinda like this already)

On Crit/Hit, inflict:
- Poison
- Blind
- Cripple
- Burn

+20% Blind duration
+20% Slow duration
+20% Torment duration

Some of these might be silly now but who knows about the future. Maybe Thief will get a ranged spec that does +10% damage versus blinded foes!

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

Sigils that cause either fields or combo finishes could be cool.

• Sigil of Blast Finisher – 30% chance to cause a Blast Finisher at target on hit, cooldown 10 seconds)
  • Sigil of Ice Field – 30% chance to create an ice field at target (360 radius) for 5 seconds on hit, cooldown 10 seconds

Would make teamplay more interesting. Might also reduce come bunkering if more fields could be laid on points.

Would also be nice to then get the same sigils in pve/wvw.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

Don’t forget 20% Confusion Duration again!

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Emtiarbi.3281

Emtiarbi.3281

Get X Aura when hit after swapping weapon.

Anredhal Amethyst – Lain Amethyst – Orss Jerre

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Allarius.5670

Allarius.5670

An important distinction to make regarding the stated high level goals would be clarifying the replacement for RNG gameplay. Do you mean “X% chance on-hit(crit) apply Y effect (Z cooldown)” becomes:

1) Like RisingDusk suggests, “Apply X effect on hit (Y cooldown)”

or

2) “On weapon swap, your next X hit(s) apply Y effect”

(1) will always feel a bit RNG to opponents regardless if there is a buff notifier. (2) has more counter play (particularly if “next X hit(s)” is replaced by “next X attack(s)” and can be avoided). (2) would be a pretty large shift from current sigil use and would feel less rewarding given their current use, but also may feel more meaningful.

A high level goal of increasing counter play would probably also encourage trading unique buff/effects for boons/conditions wherever possible. For example, trading Intelligence for “Gain fury on weapon swap” or even “Gain fury on your next hit/attack after swapping to this weapon”. Another example would be replacing “heal” with “gain regeneration”.

So, in general, a little more clarity on the stated high level goals might be useful in eliciting better feedback (or crazy witchhunts judging by usual community response to change).

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Paul.2054

Paul.2054

I think when it comes to sigils you should either leave them relatively the same or go for a bigger overhaul altogether. If you leave the sigils the same and add in other game mode sigils especially the interrupt sigils and Sigil of Concentration you will start to see more attractive options than the current set but only because they’re really strong sigils that aren’t available currently. I think Sigil of Concentration and Sigil of Cleansing are most suited for straight additions to PvP and Sigil of Concentration would be a very useful addition overall to the general kitten nal of supports and boon dispensers who keep having damage removed anyways. Interrupt sigils would be highly unblanaced in their current state if implemented and would honestly need ICDs or huge nerfs.

Currently when it comes to PvP I personally don’t feel the RNG aspect of on crit sigils really effects gameplay negatively but does limit your choices as they are based on crit chance and attack speeds. Because of this you’ll see crit sigils be a lot worse for low crit chance builds even in situations where they would be the best if that was not the case(specifically looking at Carrion and Menders amulet builds) and for builds with slow attacking weapons or that don’t get to attack often. When it comes to on crit sigils specifically some of them clearly need some help in general because most of these are seen as DPS sigils but it is hard to reliably output damage with these sigils because you will have moments where you can’t frequently activate them or you may not be able to frequently activate them because of your build, Necro Scepter for instance attacks too slow to really make use of some like Sigil of Earth in PvP. Some on crit sigils that struggle in PvP would be things like Earth, Nullification, Rage and in some ways Generosity and Strength.

Chance on Hit sigils are generally great when they have an effective use for you which is usually limited to Ice and in some ways Water. Water generally speaking is kinda awkward to use as it requires positioning, on hit RNG and allies to effectively gain a lot of its potential and on top of all this you have to do it on CD in order to really get the most use out of it because that’s what it is balanced around. In most situations for a dagger ele who has to be in melee range Renewal is preferable because there is no RNG based on striking an enemy, you can comfortably control it anywhere and there is simply much more control over when it goes off generally speaking. I’d say for on hit sigils it really almost needs to be 100% and have an active effect show available on your bar for tracking when its ready to use.

From here on we start treading into the territory of very useful and very underpowered. All the on weapon swap sigils are useful aside from Sigil of Battle which honestly provides way too little might given the state of boons lately. The way it feels is that something like Sigil of Battle really needs to be buffed back to 3 or more might or perhaps changed into AoE might with possibly more stacks as well. Not many builds play in a way where Battle feels good and on top of that Battle just doesn’t feel good anyways. Sigil of Agility is kinda niche right now as well but it is pretty strong. I could see you buffing it to maybe 1.5 seconds of quickness but never more than that because of how it scales with Boon Duration.

Part 1/2

Paul xD – Team P Z[PZ]

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Paul.2054

Paul.2054

Part 2/2

Passive bonus sigils are where the real problems come as almost all of these are actually useless in general as you would rather get an alternative effect where you can feel the use from a weapon swap/on hit/on crit sigil. My suggestion at this point is to scrap the entire idea of them entirely or move towards a different direction where you combine Passive bonus sigils with more active effects. For instance a Sigil of Agony could simply be a sigil which has a 100% on hit to get a stack of bleed for X seconds while also giving 20% bleeding duration. I feel this is probably the most intuitive overhaul you could do and this way you could make sigils much more generic as you can have sigils which increase your condis and make you apply more, increase your damage and make you apply more, etc and then you can get more utility based sigils in things like weapon swap. However this does cause issues with things such as a sigil of doom for instance would directly compete with a Sigil of Venom. Why would I use Doom as it is now if I changed Venom to have an on hit poison and poison duration, aside from the control? If you really culled a lot of older sigils for this direction specifically and perhaps removed cases like Doom you would have two straight forward categories for sigils with clear benefits to each build.

Also I agree just remove On Kill sigils they’re more of a trap.

For your benefit I created a spreadsheet with all sigils and my suggestions for them which you can find here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GlyL-5gJXowezxuqyBAIOobDvwos-X7BogPF5G3jV1Y/edit?usp=sharing

(Also generally I do not address things being overpowered as much because I feel this is more the decisions of the design team if something is overpowered. If you guys think it’s overpowered you’re probably right to be honest.)

Paul xD – Team P Z[PZ]

(edited by Paul.2054)

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Question. When you say this do you mean reduce raw damage output in general, o reduce raw damage output that comes specifically from sigils? Because its an important distinction.

Regardless I do want to see some sigils removed. I think that sigils like hydromancy/geomancy that damage enemies purely for swapping weapons is an outdated concept and doesn’t add anything except damage spam to the game mode. I really would love to see them removed. Swapping to a weapon happens when you want to gain an advantage in the current fight, whether that is more pressure, more defense or more mobility. You shouldn’t gain an extra advantage of dealing potentially several thousand damage from weapon swapping. And they just make it absolutely trivial to add cover conditions. You don’t even have to think about it and do it intelligently.

We mean raw damage from sigils. You are spot on in your thinking as we feel the same about sigils like hydro and geo.

An important distinction to make regarding the stated high level goals would be clarifying the replacement for RNG gameplay. Do you mean “X% chance on-hit(crit) apply Y effect (Z cooldown)” becomes:

1) Like RisingDusk suggests, “Apply X effect on hit (Y cooldown)”

or

2) “On weapon swap, your next X hit(s) apply Y effect”

Option 2 gives us the most counter play and predictability. There may be room for having consistent effects such as (1) “on attack, every 2 seconds”, but sigils like that will likely always be best in slot. They would have to balanced by their cooldown, which would then blur the distinction with next hit after swap. That being said, there may be some awesome sigils ideas that can use on hit mechanics we haven’t thought of (that also wouldn’t be OP)!

Another note: It is very unlikely we would ever add a form of CC to sigils.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Absolutely remove the swap combos. GEO+DOOM firstly, HYDRO+mainly leeching next next.
Reason: its simply an attack that often exceeds the power of skills, and its an unavoidable zero cost part of poeples rotations

As boring as it sounds, Id mostly like the +5% dmg to be the max value, so the gameplay is more focused on landing, setting up and dodging skills, rather than pressing some fast buttons for instant procs.
So id also like other sigils like air,fire,bleeds etc, to be in that +10% of total damage area, not a stand alone attack that you can die to or have to random dodge.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Master Ketsu.4569

Master Ketsu.4569

Buff Generosity/Purity to make this a better access to soft condi countering.

Consider adding a new +10% damage when attacking from behind/side sigil to encourage more skillfull positioning.

Sigil of accuracy sucks and could use a buff.

Sigil of rage could use a tiny buff.

That’s about it.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

I would like to see sigils that remove boons more predictably, and preferably more than one boon at a time, since most classes apply them by the more than one boon very frequently. Since i noticed some disinterest in adding on more swap sigils, you could tie more sigil effects to the activation of healing skills, utility skills, elite skills or professional skills. Other options include activation on dodge, activation on block, or activation on when using specific utility types such as shouts, signets, etc.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

Please for the love of God do not implement anything that has something to do with hard CC/interrupts. We’re already flooded with that stuff.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

what about ‘sigil of conditional protection’

‘When one of your conditions that you have applied is cleansed you gain 3 seconds of protection’

this helps condition based bruiser play but does not benefit condition play where the player is throwing conditions and already avoiding dmg. Would help my soft s/f condition ele for example so I could engage in a fight with some resilience.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

(edited by vesica tempestas.1563)

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

This is not really a suggestion but more than a question. I was wondering if we will ever see a similar rework on sigils/runes for pve and wvw as well as many runes sigils are uninteresting or not used at all or flat out better tha many other choices, thank you very much.

As for suggestion id say put more on imterupt sigil in pvp as they make more sense in there rather on open world and pve in general. In general add more sigils that require good positioning and good use of abilities interupts cc etc.

Sigil Update

in PvP

OriOri.8724

Good to know that you guys aren’t fully happy with the current implementation of damage/condi on swap sigils

Hopefully we will see all 9 on swap sigils removed from the game, but I would still be happy if just intelligence, hydro, geo, doom and leeching were removed.

It would also be nice to see some standardization of the sigils. For instance the +X% condi duration sigils are all 20%, but paralyzation is +30% stun duration. Similarly, the on hit sigils range from 60% chance to activate, down to 30% chance to activate, and on crit sigils vary between 50% activation rate and 60% activation rate. I know you mentioned that you would like to redo these so that they are less reliant on RNG, and I think that’s awesome. So when you do redo them, it would be nice to have consistency, regardless of what the new implementation is.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: MLGKorno.5419

MLGKorno.5419

Why would you want geo doom combo to be removed when it adds an extra condition attack that is fully instant (like a second Steal or shatter) which raises the skill cap for Condi builds like Condi mesmer and Condi rev (will be pushed further out of viability) that use it? And even if Condi rev got better Condi applications as compensation, Condi rev has no abilities that are instant so all of them can get outplayed. Currently you can use Geo Doom Hydro Leech combo and be able to time Condi bursts between peoples evade/block frames.

On swap sigils like geo, doom, hydro, leech are not RNG whereas the chance on crit or hit ones are, and can be dodged. Things like air cannot because it’ll just proc on the next hit.

I think the fixes should mainly focus on reworking the on crit sigils and other sigil categories that currently are too RNG/cheap or just useless. Swap sigils are controlled and don’t need to change.

(edited by MLGKorno.5419)

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

On swap sigils like geo, doom, hydro, leech are not RNG whereas the chance on crit or hit ones are, and can be dodged. Things like air cannot because it’ll just proc on the next hit. Why would you want geo doom combo to be removed when it adds an extra condition attack that is fully instant (like a second Steal or shatter) which raises the skill cap for Condi builds like Condi mesmer that use it? I think the fixes should mainly focus on reworking the on crit sigils and other sigil categories that currently are too RNG/cheap or just useless. Swap sigils are controlled and don’t need to change.

how does an attack that is funnly instand and adds extra comdis raises the skill cap? i mean if its automatically on swap it just makes your swap deal dmg on a timer nothing really skillful here.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Question: Is there still the notional idea that sigils should apply offensive effects, while runes should be defensive? This has nice “purity of purpose” but also limits potentially useful and balanced sigils.

Sigil of Sight

Hitting a stealthed enemy applies 1s of revealed (10s CD).

Goal: Gives counterplay to stealth, so you can actually punish stealth when you know where it is.

Sigil of stability busting

Interrupts clear an extra stack of stability X% of the time, where X is your crit chance.

Goal: Allowing interrupts to “crit.” Even though it is RNG-ish, it still allows for predictable gameplay (as there won’t be any stun until a follow-up interrupt anyway).

Sigil of endurance

Critical hits restore 2 endurance (number subject to change).

Goal: Allow quick-hitting pressure builds a means of gradually getting extra defense that isn’t as brainless as energy was. Dangerous on evade-spam thieves.

Sigil of continued pressure

Oh crit gain 1 charge. After having 5 charges, the next time weakness would be applied, you instead clear your charges.

Alternatively: Deal 10% additonal damage when under the effects of weakness (to partially make up for damage reduction of weakness).

Goal: A means of conditionally combating certain conditions.

Sigil of anti-burning

When you hit a foe, reduce the duration of burns applied to you by 0.5s.

Goal: aggressive way to counter certain condis, can make similar versions for other condis. Numbers must be tuned so you aren’t immune but isn’t useless.

Sigil of alacrity

The next attack after swapping weapons has a 50% shorter CD.

Goal: Same as ranger trait that similar. Number to be tuned to prevent abuse.

Sigil of better blasting

Blast finishers in fire fields apply an extra stack of might (15s duration).

Goal: modify individual finishers to support a certain playstyle. This is just one example.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Altie.4571

Altie.4571

Is it possible to indicate “like a buff” when a sigil is available to proc? Both in PvE / PvP.

That takes out the randomness.

When scientists discover the center of the universe,
a lot of people will be disappointed they are not it.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Glytch.2489

Glytch.2489

Those make a lot more sense in PvP than PvE anyway.

that’s because they flat out DO NOT work with breakbars. same with traits. it’s silly

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: MLGKorno.5419

MLGKorno.5419

On swap sigils like geo, doom, hydro, leech are not RNG whereas the chance on crit or hit ones are, and can be dodged. Things like air cannot because it’ll just proc on the next hit. Why would you want geo doom combo to be removed when it adds an extra condition attack that is fully instant (like a second Steal or shatter) which raises the skill cap for Condi builds like Condi mesmer that use it? I think the fixes should mainly focus on reworking the on crit sigils and other sigil categories that currently are too RNG/cheap or just useless. Swap sigils are controlled and don’t need to change.

how does an attack that is funnly instand and adds extra comdis raises the skill cap? i mean if its automatically on swap it just makes your swap deal dmg on a timer nothing really skillful here.

Did you even read anything I wrote?

…because it happens only when you swap, so it’s another skill that’s in your control, whereas the other sigil types are more RNG. If you look at things in a rotation youre probably from PVE.

Instants are important, for example the reason why meta rev gets countered by thief so hard is because thief can hit it in between its defensive skills since steal is instant and can instantly interrupt things like the wind up of Rev sword3. And rev has nothing that does instant damage so if the thief doesn’t want to get hit, the rev can’t hit it.
So due to thief having more instants, it’s possible to completely outplay everything the rev has and shut the build down.

Right now if I was on any class I could see a rev channeling sword3 and then quickly swap him with Geo Doom during that small window where he’s winding it up before he does the evade hits.

These are just examples, there’s so much more you can do to outplay someone and sneak in the extra damage when you have hydro or geo sigils

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Kreweless.2196

Kreweless.2196

A cursory glance at metabattle shows every power build relies on Air/Blood sigils — a nerf to those would probably force some interesting choices from power players.

I think the proc-on-swap sigils promote “active” gameplay, since you need to be in melee and push a button. It’s better than the passive stun-breaks and turn-off-damage actions we see (looking at you Warrior and Engineer, specifically).

On-kill sigils don’t necessarily need removal — They’re useless until you actually get kills — so there’s risk/reward play there.

Forcing condition builds to consider precision is a good idea. Currently, power builds require power/precision/ferocity to deal good damage while condition builds only need condition damage (3 > 1).

Adding or reworking sigil procs with more obvious cues might add to the visual noise; it’s unclear whether that would promote more active gameplay.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Have there been any thoughts made in regards to “you may only have one of x class sigil equipped at a time”?

In particular, I’m thinking about the Fire/Air combos. If you could only have one “on-crit/on-hit” sigil in a weapon set, that could do a lot to help make the game feel less like an RNG burstfest.

This would also work for on-swap sigils. I don’t think they’re as obnoxious as the fire/air combo yet but I think that on-swap combinations have a potential to become such.

I don’t think flat bonuses (Force, Malice, specific condi durations, etc) are that big of an issue though, and you can obviously only benefit from one on-kill sigil.

Thoughts? I think having a 1 on-crit per weapon set/1 on-switch per weapon set limit could help to tone down the no-brainer that is Fire/Air.

Also I would like Sigil of Mischief because that is a fun sigil.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Ovark.2514

Ovark.2514

Long time sPvPer and Game Designer here. Rain.9213 was correct when he said that On Kill Sigils need to go. Each new sPvP map you guys add seems to be all about keeping matches from being a determined from the first couple minutes. On Kill sigils are the exact opposite of that philosophy and disheartening to fight against. Rising Dusk.2408 Makes an excellent point about On Hit or On Crit sigils, in that, if such things are to exist they should alert the opponent that they are ready to activate by a certain icon. Additionally, his position on the reliable activation of sigils is on the right track.

Of course, I would take it a step further and remove On Hit and On Crit sigils altogether. As you are well aware, the way PvP is now the best sigil options are those which promote the most burst damage or burst survivability. This is the inevitable effect of PvP so long as those types of abilities are present. In my opinion, sigils should be just another part of your character’s build. If I’m building for bleed damage, I’ll use sigils that increase bleed damage or duration; and if I’m using a retaliation build, I’ll use a Sigil that boosts retaliation damage or duration. Sigils in my opinion, should act as compliments to your build, that take the traits, weapons, and utilities that you have chosen, and boost specific aspects of them. In this way, you can keep most, if not all sigils constantly viable in one build or another. Part of your mission is to “remove ineffective choices.” I believe the currently “ineffective choices,” like condition duration sigils and accuracy sigils, should be made into effective sigils. Here are some suggestions that will keep things more interesting than the basic +XX% duration to boons, conditions, or damage:

Sigil of Swiftness: Cripple and Chill do not impair your movement for 1 second after you gain swiftness
Sigil of Vigor: Gain 10 endurance when Vigor is applied to you
Sigil of Might: Might now stacks up to 30 times on you
Sigil of Fury: Fury you gain lasts 1% longer on you for each stack of Fury you have (only works if you change Fury to a stacking condition that increases crit rate by 1% per stack)
Sigil of Flight: Knockbacks and Blowouts send foes an extra 100 units
Sigil of Vulnerability: You may apply up to 30 stacks of Vulnerability to enemies.
Hesacon.8735 suggested a good idea for combo finisher sigils.
Sigil of Blasting: Blast finishers are 33% more effective (might gain is 4 stacks, healing is 33% better, Blindness lasts 33% longer etc…)
Sigil of Whirling: Projectiles you send out with Whirl combo finishers are flung farther or more frequently, or something…
Keen eye Sigil: Skills with projectile finishers have at least a 50% chance to activate one.

I’d also love to see every boon and condition get at least 1 sigil dedicated to it. I hope these were helpful. If need anymore suggestions I’d love to help!

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

Oh just for PvP? .. kitten getting my hopes up.. thought maybe something might be done about those minor sigils and runes..

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

Sigil Update

in PvP

OriOri.8724

Why would you want geo doom combo to be removed when it adds an extra condition attack that is fully instant (like a second Steal or shatter) which raises the skill cap for Condi builds like Condi mesmer and Condi rev (will be pushed further out of viability) that use it? And even if Condi rev got better Condi applications as compensation, Condi rev has no abilities that are instant so all of them can get outplayed. Currently you can use Geo Doom Hydro Leech combo and be able to time Condi bursts between peoples evade/block frames.

You listed exactly why they need to go. They add yet another, instant condition application. They are nothing more than glorified spam. For hydromancy in particular, it can hit extremely hard, harder than some weapon skills on some classes, and its ridiculous that you can do that just for weapon swapping.

Weapon swapping already gives you an advantage in a fight. It shouldn’t be turned into a spamfest as well. All that these sigils do is make condi builds even more braindead, as you can unload an entire burst, then swap weapons to apply 2 cover conditions instantly, making it so that the other player can’t cleanse your burst at all. This leaves the other player with no counterplay. How is this skillfull play? Why should this sort of spam be encouraged and allowed?

Yes, condi rev needs some work. No, on swap sigils are not what is going to make it good. They are a bandaid at best, and that doesn’t justify the spam that they bring with them.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

I like the idea of removing randomization within builds because that is ridiculous right now. But I would ask that you not remove the on kill stacking sigils just for the sake of removing them. If there’s a balance reason to remove them then by all means do it but I love them on my thief and I know many others do too, plus with the removal of random procs maybe they will see more use. I’d rather not see something I love to build around be removed because it’s not super popular.

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Dimerius.1397

Dimerius.1397

We should definetly get a rid of insane burst sigils like many people mentioned while ago.
I mean these: Sigil of Doom,Geomacy, Air, Leeching, Hydromacy.
Also I do not want to see any On hit/On crit/ On weapon swap sigils which applies condies, because otherwise people will use them just to cover their main damage source condis (burn,torment,bleed)
I would rather prefer sigil with permanent stats, because you can easily balance them in future and also it would remove ridiculous burst combos:
10% chance to remove boon (I know it is not against RNG, but still i would like to see this one)
+10% critical damage
+15% critical chance
+7% direct damage
+7% condition damage
+10-20(dunno exactly) boon duration
+10% healing
+10% condition duration
-10% incoming condition damage
-10% incoming direct damage

Weapon swap ones(all with 9s cooldown)
cleanse one condition
1 stack of protection (3s)
1 stack of stability (5s)
1 stack of vigor (5s)
1 stack of swiftness(5s)
heal for small amount of live (800-1000)
generate random boon

Maybe we could even have some minor auras.

I would vote for reduce burn damage or reduce its intensity, because it is ridiculously strong compared to other conditions and please do not argue with duration, because conditions usually dont remain on you long in pvp otherwise you are probably dead.

And I want to ask if you are thinking about doing this kind of communication in other upcoming changes (Runes, Traits, Proffesions), because people have good opinions/suggestions in these cases

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

Any plans for new amulets too?

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

How about adding some sigils with ‘on heal’ or ‘on elite’ effects similar to some current rune sets? Outside of stuff like that I don’t really see how you’re going to promote counterplay with sigils, as the vast majority of them are too passive by nature to play around. The only ones you can even hope to deny right now are some of the on-swap sigils with proper predictions, and leeching/intelligence which are the only ones with visual indicators for players to work with. All the on-hit/on-crit ones don’t go on cooldown when an attack that would have proced them is blocked/dodged/invulned, and there’s flat out nothing active anyone can do against the +duration ones. I suppose if you really wanted you could change on-swaps to have a wind-up animation and AoE ring before the effects are applied.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Fixing forum bug.

Sigil Update

in PvP

Posted by: Saurrec.6402

Saurrec.6402

I would like to see duration increasing sigils for the remaining damaging conditions.

A physical disability hasn’t stopped me from being a Polite, Helpful, & Badkitten player.

(edited by Saurrec.6402)