Spirit Rangers after patch? (fans and haters)

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Hambow warr is harder to play than petting zoo builds . And S\D thief 333333 spam? How do you get such a fast intil regen bro????

Hambow longbow is at the very least a class that you can be actively outplayed/counterplayed. It requires basic positioning +combo chain knowledge, unlike spirit ranger.

Also, +1 to the s/d thief with 25 initiative.

do you think a ranger flanking with his bows to deal bleed is not skilled? do you think activating the spirits at the right moment is braindead? i really wanna know truth. thank you.

I’ve seen multiple times where so called ‘pro rangers’ literally run into a mid fight and activate all 3 spirit abilities simultaneously. So no, this isn’t skilled.

Flanking with your shortbow could take skill, but in all honesty with the burning from your pet and you while you have so many evades, it isn’t even necessary to win a 1v1.

All abored the Scrub Train, QqqqQQqqq. Next stop L2P.

Infraction incoming in 3.2.1

I like how you didn’t even respond to the fact that after all the tournaments you’ve played on spirit ranger you didn’t even know that spirit elite heals for 1.5x what it says on the tooltip. lol

*aboard

Fact is I don’t count you as a good player whom knows what he is talking about. I don’t see you playing in top tier of TPvP.

i think you’re an awful player lol. Ranger is easy to play there’s no reason to deny it. I felt like mashing my face across my keyboard would have accomplished what I already did when I played it with shortbow, and to a lesser extent a/d s/t is ridiculously easy to play too. I still think BM is better than spirits anyways. If you’re getting destroyed with a shortbow by a necro in teamfights you’re doing it wrong.

@Dardamaniac – many people knew about the fear with the boar skull drop, nobody used it as boar sucks kitten pluw enemies could pick up the weapon drops and it’s rng.

Coming from the guy who only been known for playing Spirit Ranger and the nub version at that is rather funny.

If you new anything about me you wouldn’t be saying what you just said. But you don’t your just like allot of Ranger’s played FOTM which isn’t hard, team got good not off your skill as FOTM Spirit Ranger is in every single team and they all do same thing.

Next time read I never said anything about necro’s beating me, also if you ever watched me play vs a necro you would see how I almost 100-0 most necros due to how easy it is to counter play there condition spike.

One last thing, BM is our worst build in SPvP if you tried playing other builds besides ones that are FOTM you would already know this and wouldn’t of said BM build is better.

I played backpoint, at the time ranger was the most efficient backpoint. If you want any reasoning as to why I played that version of spirit ranger feel free to ask and I’ll explain to you why it was strong it’s a pretty simple explanation.
Plus I watched your video for goodness sake and you’re kittening terrible mechanically(HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!) and there’s no denying it really. I didn’t actually start off by playing spirit ranger, I played BM ranger which was kinda fun. The build still actually is viable and strong in 1v1s, and no not that kittenty NA version where you run around with a shortbow.

Also necros destroy rangers in team fights.

Okayyyyyy…

And finally, I don’t think I’m an amazing player. I probably got carried by my team mates through most of the game I’m sure. But you’re somebody who actually thinks they’re amazing at the game when the majority of the competitive population quit/can’t be bothered to practice for it and you’re picking up the pieces. Plus you’re playing one of the most braindead specs in the game. Spewing random bullkitten about how you get destroyed by engineers, when guess what? I could consistently beat an amazing engineer player with a beastmaster spec in a 1v1 scenario. I’m sorry but having somebody in the community who advertises themselves as hot kitten when in reality they suck kitten is not goooooood. Bed time, nite xox.

Edit: ps i started playing ranger in april? still only got like 3-400 games i have like 5x more than that on necro lol.

:D

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

Fact is I don’t count you as a good player whom knows what he is talking about. I don’t see you playing in top tier of TPvP.

what top tier?

in PvP

Posted by: jmatb.6307

jmatb.6307

Sol has about 50 seconds of burning on him right about now

in PvP

Posted by: Dominus.2360

Dominus.2360

I think this video says it all: http://de.twitch.tv/ostricheggs/c/3023189

The ranger is, sorry, as incompetent as possible, eating every single CC that’s thrown at him, making him smell the ground 24/7, not able to do anything at all. And who wins? The ranger of course.

in PvP

Posted by: faeral.7120

faeral.7120

Spirit Ranger is just a ridiculous spec.

Arguably, to me anyways, one of the most OP about the spec has nothing to do with Spirits, but the interaction of +30% boon duration + Forge runes. This gives an even +50% prot duration. So +3s of Prot on each dodge roll ( 15 WS trait which just got buffed ), 15s of Prot upon reaching 50% health, & 6s of Prot proccing from Stone Spirit ( not 100% on this one, might just be 4s, but hardly matters ).

This frees up the spec to no longer require Healing Power like BM builds did & can instead focus on pure damage, so Rabid or Carrion.

Storm Spirit is just insane. I have definitely seen 6k+ hits. I agree that this should scale with Power so a glassy spec could have an option to put out this damage, but Wilderness specs shouldn’t get this kind of burst.

Nature’s Vengeance is a poorly designed trait. It translates active abilities into passive abilities & also disregards the cooldowns of said active abilities. There are times when I will see 2 Storm Spirit procs about 3 seconds apart from each other.

Autofollow Trait is also poor imo, since it removes the active component of proper positioning for Spirits. There is little risk to Spirits while Elite is up, since it is tanky enough that you can reposition it easily through evade / movement chains & the HoT will keep them up ( which is really strong on its own—480HPS for entire team with zero effort ).

I’m OK with Spirits offering powerful group support, but they need risk & counterplay that is more than just “HEY AOE TEH SPIRITS”, since the answer to so many things in PvP is “HEY AOE TEH X”. Also, the previously mentioned Evade / Movement chains synergize too well with Spirit survivability for how large the range is on them. If the Ranger had to actually place the Spirits in a static location, that would separate Ranger skill level in a big way. Then Spirits could remain powerful or see more interesting interactions through future tweaks instead of getting their functionality nerfed while still being overly simplistic to use, which is what the Dec 10th patch aims to do.

More things need to put the onus on the offensive player to perform them correctly, rather than placing all the onus on the defending player to counter these simple & often automatic damage sources.

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

“see more interesting interactions through future tweaks instead of getting their functionality nerfed”
This ^

Noone argues here that spirits are wrong the way they are right now..But you turn this to a general hate for Rangers.
And its good for us to be more objective so we can offer a more truthfull statement…We must see the problem of spvp as a whole body, combined with builds that are pushed and builds that are left behind…
I hate hearing “Spirit Rangers are the reason why this spvp is bad, nerf them to the grounds of hell”..Such a childish statement

@Symbolic
Y i know its a RNG and it feels kinda disfunctional using a Boar in a spvp enviroment.Many casuals dont know it tho..I feel that ppl many times just going with the flow.I will use the same example again and again…..

TRAP RANGERS.

I think that you main Necro and you played Ranger in the BM era……Trap Rangers got so much hate from the community, QQ , OP build , nerf it etc etc…..Nothing at all changed in trap Rangers and suddenly one day the community were ok with trap Rangers.
What tells me that the same wont happen with spirit Rangers, or with the Fear from the boar?

in PvP

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

Hambow warr is harder to play than petting zoo builds . And S\D thief 333333 spam? How do you get such a fast intil regen bro????

Hambow longbow is at the very least a class that you can be actively outplayed/counterplayed. It requires basic positioning +combo chain knowledge, unlike spirit ranger.

Also, +1 to the s/d thief with 25 initiative.

do you think a ranger flanking with his bows to deal bleed is not skilled? do you think activating the spirits at the right moment is braindead? i really wanna know truth. thank you.

I’ve seen multiple times where so called ‘pro rangers’ literally run into a mid fight and activate all 3 spirit abilities simultaneously. So no, this isn’t skilled.

Flanking with your shortbow could take skill, but in all honesty with the burning from your pet and you while you have so many evades, it isn’t even necessary to win a 1v1.

All abored the Scrub Train, QqqqQQqqq. Next stop L2P.

Infraction incoming in 3.2.1

I like how you didn’t even respond to the fact that after all the tournaments you’ve played on spirit ranger you didn’t even know that spirit elite heals for 1.5x what it says on the tooltip. lol

*aboard

i think you’re an awful player lol. Ranger is easy to play there’s no reason to deny it. I felt like mashing my face across my keyboard would have accomplished what I already did when I played it with shortbow, and to a lesser extent a/d s/t is ridiculously easy to play too. I still think BM is better than spirits anyways. If you’re getting destroyed with a shortbow by a necro in teamfights you’re doing it wrong.

@Dardamaniac – many people knew about the fear with the boar skull drop, nobody used it as boar sucks kitten pluw enemies could pick up the weapon drops and it’s rng.

Coming from the guy who only been known for playing Spirit Ranger and the nub version at that is rather funny.

If you new anything about me you wouldn’t be saying what you just said. But you don’t your just like allot of Ranger’s played FOTM which isn’t hard, team got good not off your skill as FOTM Spirit Ranger is in every single team and they all do same thing.

Next time read I never said anything about necro’s beating me, also if you ever watched me play vs a necro you would see how I almost 100-0 most necros due to how easy it is to counter play there condition spike.

One last thing, BM is our worst build in SPvP if you tried playing other builds besides ones that are FOTM you would already know this and wouldn’t of said BM build is better.

I played backpoint, at the time ranger was the most efficient backpoint. If you want any reasoning as to why I played that version of spirit ranger feel free to ask and I’ll explain to you why it was strong it’s a pretty simple explanation.
Plus I watched your video for goodness sake and you’re kittening terrible mechanically(HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!) and there’s no denying it really. I didn’t actually start off by playing spirit ranger, I played BM ranger which was kinda fun. The build still actually is viable and strong in 1v1s, and no not that kittenty NA version where you run around with a shortbow.

Also necros destroy rangers in team fights.

Okayyyyyy…

And finally, I don’t think I’m an amazing player. I probably got carried by my team mates through most of the game I’m sure. But you’re somebody who actually thinks they’re amazing at the game when the majority of the competitive population quit/can’t be bothered to practice for it and you’re picking up the pieces. Plus you’re playing one of the most braindead specs in the game. Spewing random bullkitten about how you get destroyed by engineers, when guess what? I could consistently beat an amazing engineer player with a beastmaster spec in a 1v1 scenario. I’m sorry but having somebody in the community who advertises themselves as hot kitten when in reality they suck kitten is not goooooood. Bed time, nite xox.

Edit: ps i started playing ranger in april? still only got like 3-400 games i have like 5x more than that on necro lol.

Sound bit bm there mate, i’d be happy to duel you, your not first to cry me a river and fail when comes to punch time. Jump on your carrion spirit ranger i’ll get on my nub spirit ranger build and you can teach me a lesson.

Solves everything right? or is this just some more QQ from washed up FOTM ranger who got carried by his team…

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in PvP

ahuba.6430

Sound bit bm there mate, i’d be happy to duel you, your not first to cry me a river and fail when comes to punch time. Jump on your carrion spirit ranger i’ll get on my nub spirit ranger build and you can teach me a lesson.

Solves everything right? or is this just some more QQ from washed up FOTM ranger who got carried by his team…

Dude, you guys got a clicker in your team… Do you really think theres any sort of hard competition these days? I’m not saying he’s a bad player, but if gw2 had even a slight level of competition and good teams, there would be no room for clicking. You guys are like, 1 of 3 NA teams with a regular roster, and you’re talking kitten lol it’s funny

in PvP

Posted by: Oidmetala.8426

Oidmetala.8426

Hater point of view: They must be nerfed into the ground
1) petting zoo
2) requires no skill to play
3) I just hate rangers in general

for the “haters”
this game is from noobs for noobs.

there is no profession which need skill atm.
when you know the game basics and all skills,
then every class is simple…
gw2 is a casual game, nothing esports or any high skill game.
and it looks like this game will stay casual.
atm no skill is required for any class.

Team Erotic Solitude Legends [ESL]
Spirit Ranger Yilvina Darnus
Bunker Guardian Morwenna Darnus

in PvP

Posted by: Oblivion.8307

Oblivion.8307

Heh, I never really did spirit ranger duels because they were stupid. BM ranger duels were fun and there’s several rangers who I know could consistently beat me(although BM ranger duels had very simple concepts to win with). I honestly don’t even know why that version of spirit ranger is called mine as I did not make the build. You’re talking about QQ from a washed up FOTM ranger when I main necro then to add in the fact you’re the one arguing in a thread saying spirit rangers are weak when infact if warriors didn’t exist they’d be on top of the food chain. Honestly I’d say this is QQ from you, some FOTM spirit ranger who doesn’t have the ability to adapt to a new class, nevermind the fact you suck kitten at the main one you play.
I mean seriously, you’re at the top tier of pvp (lloolollo). But as I said before, I hate bad players thinking they’re hot kitten talking down to people on the forums ’YOU’RE NOT TOP TIER PVP HÉRPDÉRP’. Dude, shut the kitten up. You’re the one try harding in a non competitive community and barely scraping into one of the top 3 teams when there’s really only 3 teams as stated before.
oooh, forum drama is fun.

Symbolic

(edited by Oblivion.8307)

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

Let me fix this..
Symbolic is a good player, he didnt main Ranger so he may not love him as we do but he got some very solid points..Most of hes statements are for the generall good even if it saddness some Rangers

In the other hand Sol deserves some respect, its not nice to tell him that hes just above average..Hes team are doing great work and i cant count skill but im pretty sure that these guys(and Sol) know very well what they are doing.

in PvP

Posted by: Valentin.2073

Valentin.2073

Let me fix this..
Symbolic is a good player, he didnt main Ranger so he may not love him as we do but he got some very solid points..Most of hes statements are for the generall good even if it saddness some Rangers

In the other hand Sol deserves some respect, its not nice to tell him that hes just above average..Hes team are doing great work and i cant count skill but im pretty sure that these guys(and Sol) know very well what they are doing.

+1

PVP Ranger: Prince Valentine, PVP Warrior: Prince of Hearts I, and PVP Mesmer: Prince Valentine I

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

I think this video says it all: http://de.twitch.tv/ostricheggs/c/3023189

The ranger is, sorry, as incompetent as possible, eating every single CC that’s thrown at him, making him smell the ground 24/7, not able to do anything at all. And who wins? The ranger of course.

And that is because he played like an idiot and ate every active + pet twice on a glass Canon ele. This is like a guy running up to a melee warroir and wondering why he got stunned.

Ranger | Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

I think 99% of the skills involved in GW2 come from one’s ability to use clever positionning.

12345678’ing (or 33333’ing) through a bar is easy and shared by pretty much every profession.

When you remove the need for a class to position itself, by allowing /facetanking or because all of its attacks are instant casting 1200 range 900 radius death showers, you remove everything that makes this game high level material.
Unfortunately what it looks like a bit more every day…

in PvP

Sol.4310

Heh, I never really did spirit ranger duels because they were stupid. BM ranger duels were fun and there’s several rangers who I know could consistently beat me(although BM ranger duels had very simple concepts to win with). I honestly don’t even know why that version of spirit ranger is called mine as I did not make the build. You’re talking about QQ from a washed up FOTM ranger when I main necro then to add in the fact you’re the one arguing in a thread saying spirit rangers are weak when infact if warriors didn’t exist they’d be on top of the food chain. Honestly I’d say this is QQ from you, some FOTM spirit ranger who doesn’t have the ability to adapt to a new class, nevermind the fact you suck kitten at the main one you play.
I mean seriously, you’re at the top tier of pvp (lloolollo). But as I said before, I hate bad players thinking they’re hot kitten talking down to people on the forums ’YOU’RE NOT TOP TIER PVP HÉRPDÉRP’. Dude, shut the kitten up. You’re the one try harding in a non competitive community and barely scraping into one of the top 3 teams when there’s really only 3 teams as stated before.

I’ve not had fun one the forums in age’s, sorry but i would destroy you simple as that. You can type wall of text ask your mates to pat you on the back tell you “your good mate” Do you ever stop and wonder what you did that was so good, was it I played a Necro when it was god mode before that I played and OP Pet Build where my pet did the work.

All you have done is moved from OP build to OP build. You don’t make any good builds, you was never a good player lol. Fact is anyone would have done same as you, your nothing new just washed up. You can call me bad ranger lol this and that cause I’ve had allot do the same, you all endup changing your simple little mind.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in PvP

Sol.4310

I say lets get on get on Com’s and stream it live. Now that would be fun.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in PvP

Oblivion.8307

What I did that was so well was play consistently at an okay standard. But as I said before – I’m nothing special. I’ve mained necro since release though and when the ‘god mode’ necro patch came out I’d already exclaimed it was broken. Beast master was one of the more balanced specs in terms of home point in my opinion. Plus if you’re saying I was never good I don’t understand why you’re saying I’m washed up as the two don’t really coincide. I don’t care if I was never good, I just realize that you’re a terrible player and calling you out for it trying to call yourself some ‘top tier’ player when in reality you’re bad. Telling the truth on forums will probably damage my dreams of being a shoutcaster, oh well. Worth.

Symbolic

in PvP

infantrydiv.1620

I’ve not had fun one the forums in age’s, sorry but i would destroy you simple as that. You can type wall of text ask your mates to pat you on the back tell you “your good mate” Do you ever stop and wonder what you did that was so good, was it I played a Necro when it was god mode before that I played and OP Pet Build where my pet did the work.

All you have done is moved from OP build to OP build. You don’t make any good builds, you was never a good player lol. Fact is anyone would have done same as you, your nothing new just washed up. You can call me bad ranger lol this and that cause I’ve had allot do the same, you all endup changing your simple little mind.

What a hypocrite lol

You come onto this thread acting like spirit ranger isn’t OP and then when Symbolic calls you a bad ranger you say he runs OP spirit builds LOL

No one cares whether you can beat him in a 1v1. Also, he was ranked higher than you in both solo and team queue, and on EU which actually has (or had) a competitive scene.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Sol.4310

What I did that was so well was play consistently at an okay standard. But as I said before – I’m nothing special. I’ve mained necro since release though and when the ‘god mode’ necro patch came out I’d already exclaimed it was broken. Beast master was one of the more balanced specs in terms of home point in my opinion. Plus if you’re saying I was never good I don’t understand why you’re saying I’m washed up as the two don’t really coincide. I don’t care if I was never good, I just realize that you’re a terrible player and calling you out for it trying to call yourself some ‘top tier’ player when in reality you’re bad. Telling the truth on forums will probably damage my dreams of being a shoutcaster, oh well. Worth.

Wall of text which I don’t care to read.

Still better then you.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in PvP

jmatb.6307

Denial level 9000

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Uhm are there spirit ranger’s fans out here except for those who “play” (Well who autoattack\dodge while spirits play) it?

in PvP

Sol.4310

See it doesn’t matter what I say Symbolic, your going to chest thump and hope everyone supports you, I’m used to the hate crimes I have tough skin its the forums so you get used to it.

So what’s next, cause shots got fired and I was running reflect and you took one to the face.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in PvP

Oblivion.8307

I’m just defending infantrydiv from being called bad by some guy who thinks he’s hot kitten on the forums when in reality he’s a terrible and biased player, lol. I really couldn’t give a kitten what you think about me. The mere fact you’re responding is fun and entertaining, so thanks! =)

Symbolic

in PvP

jmatb.6307

I guess this is what happens when you play spirit ranger for a long time. Take notes Valentin

in PvP

Oblivion.8307

it destroys your soul

Symbolic

in PvP

Sol.4310

I’m just defending infantrydiv from being called bad by some guy who thinks he’s hot kitten on the forums when in reality he’s a terrible and biased player, lol. I really couldn’t give a kitten what you think about me. The mere fact you’re responding is fun and entertaining, so thanks! =)

I’m only responding hoping you respond cause it is fun, I’ve not had good forum fight in a while.

You think I’m a bad player.

I know your a bad player.

Round 2….

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in PvP

Posted by: Gesamtkunstwerk.6590

Gesamtkunstwerk.6590

Symbolic 1
Sol 0

Moving on…

Diotima of Mantinea, r65 Elementalist
Vovin, r65 Warrior
Guild: V A E V I C T I S [HEX]

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

I’m only responding hoping you respond cause it is fun, I’ve not had good forum fight in a while.

Round 2….

And WE know noone actually gives a single kitten….btw being a good or bad player with spirit ranger is almost impossible, since you just have to dodge and keep spirits up you won’t meet good or bad spirit rangers…it’s just…another spirit ranger, you don’t even look at his name, it’s like drawing a line in paint, it can’t be done good or bad, it’s so basic that there’s not even a skill floor\ceiling, and that’s sad…and should be sad for those who actually play it too..

in PvP

jmatb.6307

I will throw in there that a slightly less pathetic way to run spirit ranger might be zerker with LB/GS, storm, stone, and frost and 30 Skirmishing, 30 Nature Magic, and 10 Wilderness.

That way you’re actually risking something, even though you’d be getting the most insane undeserved PBAoE burst ever.

in PvP

ahuba.6430

Round 2….

hmm tough question.
who deserves more credit? A player that has reached #1 in both NA and EU and played in the most successful gw2 team while the game had a competitive side, or a newgen kitten that thinks he plays in “top tier”, when, in fact gw2’s pvp has hit rock bottom and says stuff like “Wall of text which I don’t care to read. Still better then you.”? such tough many doubt so wow

Edit: Imba inc “hurr durr symbolic fans hurr durr”
no, i just dont like pretentious kittens.
BTW: www.wsenglish.com

(edited by ahuba.6430)

in PvP

Oblivion.8307

heh, dem saizo skills in that 2v2 tourny. i’m done with you on this thread anyways thx for the entertainments <3

Symbolic

(edited by Oblivion.8307)

in PvP

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Spirit Ranger (and Ranger in general) is emblematic of a lot of this game’s casual/MMO-courting design philosophy and while I hold out hope, I honestly can’t see a drastic change in direction this far in.

The truth is that Ranger could have been an amazing class, with high skill floor/ceiling, by allowing (probably forcing) multitasking through full pet control and making all those pet related passive procs additional active skills on pet bar (which would have been something like an engi kit).

It’s probably a casual friendly PvE focus (which I don’t blame ANet for, it’s were the money is for sure), with the pet class being SO casual appealing, what has condemned the ranger to be the horrible class that arguably is (this, and the horrible pathing the game engine has).
I don’t expect changes too btw :P

in PvP

Valentin.2073

wew! this thread has become a battle of who is a better player.

i did try to roll a power ranger in a really long time. i must say that it doesn’t take skill as much as a spirit ranger. with a power build, you dps from a distance helping the tankers to take down the enemies quickly and with a spirit ranger, you become one of those tankers, absorbing all the damage while supporting the other bunkers.

all i wanna know is what makes other class/build more skilled to play than a spirit ranger.

PVP Ranger: Prince Valentine, PVP Warrior: Prince of Hearts I, and PVP Mesmer: Prince Valentine I

in PvP

ahuba.6430

i did try to roll a power ranger in a really long time. i must say that it doesn’t take skill as much as a spirit ranger. with a power build, you dps from a distance helping the tankers to take down the enemies quickly and with a spirit ranger, you become one of those tankers, absorbing all the damage while supporting the other bunkers.

all i wanna know is what makes other class/build more skilled to play than a spirit ranger.

you have been told many many times. its not worth the effort anymore.

in PvP

Valentin.2073

you have been told many many times. its not worth the effort anymore.

not enough… i’m still not convinced. all the qq’s i’ve read so far are insubstantial.

in PvP

Oblivion.8307

The difference in skill is how effective somebody can be by being good with a class compared to being a newbie to a class. You’re being pretty efficient with spirit ranger when you’ve just got your spirits out spamming 1 with shortbow and activating them when people get close. You don’t need to worry about condition clear (healing spring/empathic bond). Your damage comes mainly from the shortbow #1/spirit passives. Spirit actives you generally use when people get close plus they activate upon death. 4 evades on the 2 weapon sets you have all with a short cooldown. Plus that’s coupled with a passive 50% endurance regen. It’s a basic case of the class being too effective for how little effort you need to put into it. That’s not to say you can’t be skilled with the class, but the difference in being skilled on a spirit ranger and not being skilled isn’t really noticable.

Symbolic

in PvP

Valentin.2073

don’t you think that newbies should have a strong build to start with? i want to see more pve players to get involved in pvp.

btw, i think it’s biased to say that spirit rangers just auto-attack with their shortbows. you all know that but you just use it to insult them.

in PvP

Valentin.2073

i think anet needs to make it possible for all professions to have strong builds so new pvp players will get a better pvp experience.

in PvP

Oblivion.8307

It’s not that people don’t want fun viable builds for new players, because that’s exactly what structured pvp needs. It’s just playing against a spirit ranger is incredibly annoying regardless of your skill level due to how passive the class plays out.

Symbolic

in PvP

jmatb.6307

It’s just not respectable. All the specifics boil down to that in the end.

in PvP

Valentin.2073

It’s not that people don’t want fun viable builds for new players, because that’s exactly what structured pvp needs. It’s just playing against a spirit ranger is incredibly annoying regardless of your skill level due to how passive the class plays out.

you just say it’s passive because of the spirit’s proc. i don’t see any difference at all between rolling a power build and a spirit ranger build. btw, when i was playing a power build i used two signets (speed and toughness). i don’t consider using signets any less passive than using spirits.

in PvP

Valentin.2073

because you guys are teaching people not to respect it. sighs

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

don’t you think that newbies should have a strong build to start with? i want to see more pve players to get involved in pvp.

btw, i think it’s biased to say that spirit rangers just auto-attack with their shortbows. you all know that but you just use it to insult them.

I agree that there should be something to indoctune noobs into PvP and giving them access to strong skills that will carry you to a win every now and then are fine even if people cry cheese (for example like the “Noob Tube” I’m CoD)

However that said the thing cannot be a whole build. Even more so it cannot be super viable to the point where it out performs on high play with significantly less effort to be used effectively.

And your right ranger has more than pew pew. But unlike every other class’s main damage skills comes from the actual 4-5 skills in combination with utilites and Maybe class mechanic. You never need to bait doges or line up any real combos, and other than CC there is nothing really to avoid leaving people to face tank the main damage source while being tanky enough to out last and kill both Hybrids and Glass cannons effortlessly.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in PvP

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Solid builds with some passive things going on are fine, they are indeed awesome as entry level. They allow new/casual players to enjoy the game, learn the basics, get knowledge about other classes, and hopefully, get more involved and keep improving.
The problem arises when this kind of builds have a place at competitive level, when they’re arguably the best a class has to offer.

I think there’s a problem (which I don’t know easy solution for) as a whole with the ranger class with so many passive procs, something that even gets agravated when spirits are added to the equation.
Anf then there’s the clutter thing which, as a no competitive and fairly average player, is what I found more annoying and obviously unhealthy for the game.

in PvP

infantrydiv.1620

Ranger already has great builds for beginners like Beastmaster/Trap. They are simple to understand + learn.

The problem I have is that Spirits simply overshadow all other ranger builds because they can do everything better making the gameplay extremely easy/forgiving.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Valentin.2073

Ranger already has great builds for beginners like Beastmaster/Trap. They are simple to understand + learn.

The problem I have is that Spirits simply overshadow all other ranger builds because they can do everything better making the gameplay extremely easy/forgiving.

it’s a bunker/support build for rangers, infantry. not all rangers choose to tank. i don’t see anything wrong about spirit rangers being tanky at all. do you think all rangers like to stand on a point and absorb all the damage from glass cannons? a spirit ranger makes some sacrifices too just like other bunkers.

in PvP

Valentin.2073

a spirit ranger doesn’t have burst damage aside from the storm spirit active and now anet is nerfing it hugely.

now i understand, a skilled player is someone who rolls a handicapped build. it’s pretty easy. people will always call other players unskilled if they are using a strong build.

in PvP

Valentin.2073

Most of the problem with the ranger builds/class is the stigma that has been attached to it by the compounded dislike given to it by the community across all of the games content except open world PvE.

Where that stigma comes from is the lack of actions per minute and “skillshots” it takes to be effective on the ranger. Most of that problem is rooted directly in the weapon selection.

Shortbow is probably the biggest culprit, because none of its cooldown skills are designed around the need to be used for a DPS improvement. That makes the weapon almost like a guild wars 1 ranger throwback; you autoattack to do damage, and utilize your utilities as necessary.

Now, having put in a fair amount of time on my other classes (I started with a main ranger and now play everything but ele), I don’t honestly see where rangers can reach the damage potential that other classes can, which looks to me like the issue stems from the Storm Spirits ability to do burst damage without power investment, the lack of actions per minute it takes to play the class and how that effects it’s already innate survival focus.

What I mean is, again, with certain weapons, rangers only really have to worry about using their cooldowns as utility. Because there are no real rotations needed that are necessary to reach the desired DPS output, more of the players attention can be focused on using tactics to sustain themselves, like dodges or weapon evades, which compared to a class like an engineer who has to juggle kits and aim skills, or a necro who has to aim many of their skills, makes the class rather forgiving, because there is almost next to nothing to whiff on a rangers Shortbow, versus whiffing something on an engi/necro which could result in either taking the damage you were trying to avoid, or missing the skill you needed to land.

Now, most of the issues I’ve described are related directly to the ranger shortbow. Other weaponsets, like the Axe/Dagger Sword/Torch combination, never really received any complaints from anybody, because of how they play versus how the shortbow plays.

Also, people just don’t like playing against AI, and then they don’t like it when that AI does something (how pushing a button that summons something that gives benefits to teammates versus pushing a button that gives boons that passively help teammates are different concepts, I’ll never know) on top of just being there.

But I guess the main issues would be:

-Poor weapon design that doesn’t require many actions per minute to be effective and doesn’t require any skill rotations to be effective
-AI entities in a competitive atmosphere that are (perceived) to be carrying the player using them into a skill tier that they (possibly) wouldn’t be in without them

Ultimately though the stigma is the biggest issue. It’s one thing to point out the shortcomings of the particular design of the class, but to ostracize and haze players who are playing the class is over the line. Those players shouldn’t be punished for the state of development that the class is in, and they shouldn’t be punished for enjoying their play time on that class.

If you’re going to blame somebody, blame ANet. Most of the changes that the competitive community asks for to be done to the ranger class (the serious, in depth criticisms the offer changes to make the class more competitive) are the same ones that the devs have seemingly been avoiding at all costs in the ranger subforum (along with your casual stuff since it is an audience derived of all players).

i appreciate that you took the time to answer my questions in an unbiased and intelligent manner.

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

I can’t bring myself to type that much on a phone.

Ranger | Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Absinth.6917

Absinth.6917

Plague kills people in a few seconds? What game are we talking about?

The bubonic plague took a bit longer yet interestingly enough it is classified as a “ZOOnotic disease”.

The game dates back to the late Middle Ages. I believe it was called the Black Death.

My apologies. I couldn’t resist. As you were…

Potential For An Esport [NONE]

Haiku FTW