Stronghold - Obvious mistake?

in PvP

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

Greetings everyone!
Been a while since I’ve posted anything on here, but I’d really like to discuss this matter and shed some light on it.
ArenaNet has announced a new sPvP mode, which is great and really appreciated. It seems like a mix of GvG, Fort Aspenwood and a little sip of MOBA, which could potentially be a great combination!

So what is the problem?

Trebuchets. I cannot be the only one who thinks this is a big mistake. Manning siege is very uninteresting and requires very little skill, which is not great for a competitive gamemode. Nobody wants to be the one guy forced to use siege, and limited to using only 3 abilites – two of them being rotational. Furthermore, they are extremely frustrating to use because they take ages to rotate. Holding down #1 or #3 for 5 seconds while your allies battle for the win is so demeaning.

There is a possbility that the trebuchets are not manned by players but NPCs. This could be achieved by hiring them with supply or gaining their assistance by completing other objectives on the map. This would be a much better solution, and the trebuchets would function more similarly to towers in Dota 2. Just imagine having to actually man the towers in MOBA’s. I shiver from the thought.

I’d like to hear other opinions on the matter, and if you agree, let’s hope the word reaches Anet before they ship HoT.

#Saynotosiege

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Stronghold-and-RTS/first#post4731701

Siege units could’ve been managed by the Lord, so rest of the players can focus just on getting the supplies and fighting PvP.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

You bring up a really great point. From the precedent that’s been set with the Battle of Khylo, I can’t say that I really saw a problem initially with manning a Trebuchet at clutch times.

If it requires someone on the team to be full time siege, that may be a role this game is not ready for. If it’s more opportunistic in nature, that sits fine with me.

It really will depend on the frequency of use. and dependency on siege weaponry.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

not commenting untill i see the whole map lay out and actual usage of treb and if its effective or not.

personally i would love to treb if it actually has a great out come and depend on your instinct.

in PvP

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Here’s wondering why HA (Heroes’ Ascent), a simple Team Death Match with few extra mechanics did far more better in GW1 than GW2 is doing (PvP).
Why do they have to go after all these gimmicky game modes, mix moba, conquest, buffs, and all the other things.

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Here’s wondering why HA (Heroes’ Ascent), a simple Team Death Match with few extra mechanics did far more better in GW1 than GW2 is doing (PvP).
Why do they have to go after all these gimmicky game modes, mix moba, conquest, buffs, and all the other things.

Because we don’t have Monks and proper supporters/interrupters.

in PvP

Posted by: SobeSoul.6910

SobeSoul.6910

I don’t find trebs that bad in Khylo.

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Never occured to me beforem but youre right.

Playing treb for whole game is super boring.

If it can and actualy gets destroyed like in kyhlo, then its ok.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Well, I hope most elements of the gamemode are up for discussion.

But to be able to tell, which elements are fun to play with and which are not, we have to first be able to play the map properly. We also have to give the map design a chance, and see if we just need to adapt before crying for changes.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

I think trebuchet it’s an interesting secondary mechanic, it requires more skill to aim than skyhammer , you can dodge the treb and the cover area is not huge. And yes, you can destroy it.

Honestly i think it’s fine.

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

i dont think its very balanced that condi classes can’t take out trebs.

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

If this was other forums I would spam gifs after reading this.

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

This is a general problem, i think at least burning should work on walls/turrets etc.

I can understand bleeding & c. don’t have much sense but some condis could work.

in PvP

Solstice.1097

This is a general problem, i think at least burning should work on walls/turrets etc.

I can understand bleeding & c. don’t have much sense but some condis could work.

right like i wouldnt expect confusion to hurt a trebuchet lol….

but treb is the only mechanic where certain builds have an advantage. yes it’s rarely a gamebreaker and it wouldn’t make the top 50 in things to address in PvP, but it’s still what it is.

in PvP

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Stronghold is to bring more WvW players into PvP! WvW players don’t mind spending hours on a siege weapon!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in PvP

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

WvW players don’t mind spending hours on a siege weapon!

Only if it’s arrowcart.

EU Aurora Glade

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

Stronghold is to bring more WvW players into PvP! WvW players don’t mind spending hours on a siege weapon!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

considering gw2’s competitive pvp community consists of 25-30 people, any influx of players is most welcome. even if theyre just manning the trebs.

in PvP

ellesee.8297

You are right! But more people =/= more competitiveness! There have been many surges of PvE-ers to PvP with reward tracks and backpieces and new dailies! How did that turn out! Rank farm! Daily farm! Bad matchmaking! Anet needs to stop trying to bring players of one game mode into another! It just will never work! Anet needs to find ways to get new players to play their game! New players who are competitive! There needs to be a competitive PvP game mode before anything and Stronghold isn’kitten The amount of times I see a Legendary Champion just so bad at the game…! I feel a rant coming on so I will just end this post here!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!

(edited by ellesee.8297)

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

PVErs or people like me who were roamers in WvW just don’t all of sudden become equals to people who pvp’d from the start. Competition builds over time.

Champion titles are meaningless anyhow.

in PvP

Posted by: Gabriell.4856

Gabriell.4856

So…this is like WvW but scaled down for 5v5.

in PvP

Posted by: Boggs.6482

Boggs.6482

I think there’s a great demand in the community for pvp game modes that require nothing but pvp. Whether the community is asking for wvw style arenas for gvg, 8v8s akin to those in gw1, or 3v3 or 2v2 arenas, the basic concepts are all the same; no gimmicks, just players killing players.

-snip-

But we do! With the proper team coordination, everyone supports each other. As for interrupts, we have daze, fear, knockback, pull, and stuns. Again, interrupts are easy to coordinate in a team environment.
I may get flamed for this here, but I am a player who spends the majority of my time in game spent in pvp who still enjoys wvw. My only issue with it is the scale of the encounters. I think a 5v5 or 8v8 style gamemode sounds incredible.
/shrug

(edited by Boggs.6482)

in PvP

ellesee.8297

PVErs or people like me who were roamers in WvW just don’t all of sudden become equals to people who pvp’d from the start. Competition builds over time.

It’s been almost 3 years! Are you telling me that in almost 3 years the most hyped, most anticipated, best selling MMO can only produce ~20 people across 6 continents that can compete with one another! Silly! 3 years of terrible conquest and now possibly 3 more years of this new game mode that is more PvE than PvP with no actual competitive PvP in sight! I am so very sad!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

It’s been almost 3 years! Are you telling me that in almost 3 years the most hyped, most anticipated, best selling MMO can only produce ~20 people across 6 continents that can compete with one another! Silly! 3 years of terrible conquest and now possibly 3 more years of this new game mode that is more PvE than PvP with no actual competitive PvP in sight! I am so very sad!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

I’m telling you your cynical attitude holds no weight in reality. Boohoohooing because you didn’t get your way is meaningless fodder.

Plus there’s quite a bit more than 20 people across the continents who can compete at highest levels.

in PvP

Posted by: Opc.4718

Opc.4718

Plus there’s quite a bit more than 20 people across the continents who can compete at highest levels.

Considering the number of teams who actually play regularly in ESL tournaments, ~20 isn’t far off the mark.

Kehlirixx Q | Nixx Q | Classic Bunker

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

ESL and tournies =/= entire competitive base of players. I’ve been able to farewell against some of the people who play in those tournies. Not so much the very top players. However, I know there are guys like cmc who aren’t/weren’t regulars in the ESL in solo queue who can.

in PvP

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

This is an MMO. High level PvP will NEVER EVER happen here. Plenty of people have written as to why but it boils down to it being bad to spectate and buy2play. Please point to a game that is b2p and is very competitive. SC2 is the only one that comes to mind and even that is dying a slow death to the MOBA.

I welcome a new interesting game mode to play against other people. I have no idea why other people QQ all the time, if you want pure competition, DOTA/LoL/CSGO are all out there and totally free. They are not weighed down by having to develop a PvE world or anything else.

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

This is an MMO. High level PvP will NEVER EVER happen here.

Have you ever heard about GW1?

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

^ He’s confusing competitiveness with viewership.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Rickster.8752

Rickster.8752

A moba type game mode cannot work in gw2 for multiple reasons. Not least because the mobility of a class like thief will just ruin any “lane farming” in an instant.

Also the time to kill in gw2 can be too low for a moba.

Official winner of solo queue MMR leaderboards – EU

in PvP

Posted by: Opc.4718

Opc.4718

ESL and tournies =/= entire competitive base of players. I’ve been able to farewell against some of the people who play in those tournies. Not so much the very top players. However, I know there are guys like cmc who aren’t/weren’t regulars in the ESL in solo queue who can.

To count as ‘competitive’, you need to actually compete in something right? Not a lot of players do that anymore – primarily because there’s not a lot of incentive to jump straight into a competition against those same old top teams.

Kehlirixx Q | Nixx Q | Classic Bunker

in PvP

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

Even if the trebuchet is functioning like Khylo, we gotta ask ourselves the questions:
- Is it fun to use?
- Is it fun to watch?
I can’t put a check mark in either of those boxes. I don’t think it’s fun to use, and I don’t want to watch others use it.
I know that Khylo is used as a competitive map, but to be honest I think most players would like to be without the treb.
Why follow the same path of Khylo instead of trying to improve the game?

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

I hope the map is good enough to justify the $40 we are probably going to pay, since the PvP players won’t get anything else.

(except of a small set of skills for every profession disguised under a cool name)

Anyway, the game mode will probably be “half cooked”, Anet-style

in PvP

Solstice.1097

depending on the rest of things, the treb could be a very important mechanic.

it could be necessary to FORCE the enemy team to get out of their base and fight you. like an anti-turtle mechanic that is only really useful when one team is being kittenes and bunkering up in their base.

or it could totally suck. it’s all in the execution for foresight of Anet’s team.

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

To count as ‘competitive’, you need to actually compete in something right? Not a lot of players do that anymore – primarily because there’s not a lot of incentive to jump straight into a competition against those same old top teams.

That’s not what competitive means. To be competitive means you are a good opponent, not where and what you compete in.

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

one of the strategic, and earliest Guild Hall / GvG map in GW1 had trebuchets.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warrior%27s_Isle

Similar in mechanic to Battle of Khylo, but instead of being used to attack the center of the map, it was pointed towards the bases.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Your understanding of what is PvP seems limited, the ‘v’ stands for versus which means competing against, not simply combat which seems to be your simplistic understanding of it.

As you’ve seemingly missed it, most of the games that have actually produced successful PvP formats like MOBAs, SC2, etc involve “PvE” as you put it.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in PvP

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

Stronghold = FA + JQ in GW1

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in PvP

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

Indeed, i just WANT, old way of GvG map, and i will play that for next 2 years…
Guild lord on each side, and 5 guards.. and no cap points, no treb, nothing (i know siege was in GW1 but for other meaning then doing AOE dmg on cap points), they were ment to destroy gate fast, rest was just pure Team VS Team no NPCs involved kitten, and it was AWESOME.

I just hate that players worry more about CAP points then actuall fights..

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

in PvP

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

According to http://www.pcgamer.com/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-stronghold/

Now you may not even have to fight at all, just kill some NPCs and rotate to different lanes, and kill more NPCs

No more PvP in sPvP!

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Posted by: Moorecore.6349

Moorecore.6349

It’s just another sPvP map:
1 part Khylo
1 part Foe Fire
all fail

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

1 part Khylo
1 part Foe Fire
all fail

You can keep spamming that everywhere you go, it suddenly wont change the reality. So you might as well just suck it up.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

1 part Khylo
1 part Foe Fire
all fail

Without a scoring mechanic and without cap points.
Which makes it a completely different gamemode that’ll play completely different than conquest.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Adian.8756

Adian.8756

Please point to a game that is b2p and is very competitive.

CS:GO

if you want pure competition, DOTA/LoL/CSGO are all out there and totally free

CS:GO is not free

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
Aurora Glade [EU] | Leader of ‘The New Reality [NR]’
WvW Beast!

in PvP

ellesee.8297

I wish CSGO was free! I could get some wallhackz and if I got banned, I could just make a new account for freebies!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!

in PvP

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I think if you ONLY use the Treb and do nothing else, you’re a terrible ally.

in PvP

Posted by: Ace.5607

Ace.5607

This is the total and honest truth. The limiting factor is that there are no Monks. GW pvp (GvG/HA namely) was great, GW2 pvp is meh….

in PvP

Posted by: mordran.4750

mordran.4750

And PvP players don´t mind spending hours standing on points, that´s equally boring tbh.

in PvP

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

And PvP players don´t mind spending hours standing on points, that´s equally boring tbh.

If you spend the whole match on one node and nothing else, you’re a terrible ally too.
Alos there’s a map in PVP featuring about using Treb too. The treb can totally change the tide of battle, and the treber need to be very wary about incoming assault. They have to be good at 1 v 1~2 too.

No wonder the recent PVP sucks, because there’re numerous people like you.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

in PvP

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

If you spend the whole match on one node and nothing else, you’re a terrible ally too.
Alos there’s a map in PVP featuring about using Treb too. The treb can totally change the tide of battle, and the treber need to be very wary about incoming assault. They have to be good at 1 v 1~2 too.

No wonder the recent PVP sucks, because there’re numerous people like you.

Or people like you don’t understand how pvp works, you think PvP = conquest lol, that’s funny and sad at the same time. People like you make PvP as crap as it is right now on GW2.