The Reality of New Leaderboard Algorithm

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Here’s my experience with the current ladder:

…..My biggest concern, though, is really the matchmaking algorithm in use right now. I think the thing that’d help a player like me the most is the ability to find a team or a group of players I can play with when I queue, because matchmaking usually pairs me with lower MMR players to counterbalance my mid-high MMR, and as a result I have matches that really aren’t fun where I have to carry hard or get smashed by mediocre players slaying 4 players from my team with 2 players from their team.

honestly i dont think the matchmaking is bad. I get alot of close/even matches. I dont mind playing with players worse then me as long as the enemy team has them aswell. Obviously sometimes you get bad matches, but i think thats more due to the small player base. The matchmaking algorithm seems fine to me. The Ladder is the problem. We need a Ladder showing MMR. This will btw also increase the overall matchmaking too. It leads to more teams forming and playing —> less premade vs soloq

This.

Matchmaking is really good. Honestly its really good. Problem is kind of that nobody premades anymore because:
1, half the premades are in unranked now
2, no point making premades because leaderboard is trash

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: Flyphish.6398

Flyphish.6398

Just wanted to add my sentiment that the match making has improved since December. It is much better than before. So, cheers to Anet for working on that side of the equation (figurative and literal).

The leaderboard needs systemic changes.

in PvP

Posted by: itawashii.4087

itawashii.4087

This new matchmaking is horrible. I can’t play solo ranked arenas, because I get only mega noobs in my team while the enemy team is full premade. I really don’t get it. Can anyone explain this to me? …

in PvP

Posted by: Ezra.5049

Ezra.5049

I want GW2 to have a working leaderboard system. Here is my opinion:
Lets take a casual PvP player as an example. What does he have to work for in PvP? Skins? Gold? Win a tournament? Sure if a player wins a tournament he is a good player. But what about the everyday life of PvP? The player has nothing to grind for apart from a tournament.
He finds a decent team and wins alot of games, but won’t actually gain anything from it because the current system AND the new one is flawed.
A leaderboard with a visible personal rating/MMR INGAME with decent rewards is going to make people grind their kitten off. People are going to grind the leaderboards because they want to show others who the best players actually are. It’s going to be a race of who has the highest personal rating and I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SHOW FOR IT INGAME THIS IS MANDATORY! People are not going to take this game seriously and spend hour after hour if they have nothing to show for in the end. It’s also good to know what rating a specific player is by inspecting them ingame. I want to know when i’ve improved, either by increasing my rating or achieving a rare title.

in PvP

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I guess it really depends on what you think a “good” match is. Is a match with 2 really good players carrying 3 really bad players to a close win over a bunch of mediocre players “good”? In my opinion, that might be good for the 3 really bad players, but definitely not for the 2 players carrying. Those really good players are bored with the enemy team and frustrated with their allies. It’s similar if you 4-man queue and get a fifth abysmal player; even if you win you’re annoyed that you had to deal with an effective 4v5 the whole game. The match being close doesn’t really dictate how “good” the matchmaking was in that case.

It’s a case of you can’t make everyone happy. I’d personally prefer a matchmaking system that put people of as-similar-as-possible MMR together in the same matches irrespective of the win ratio. I dislike that it tries to balance extremely talented players by adding really bad players to their team so that their MMR is middling on average compared to the enemy team. Good players want to play with good players against good players so they can experience a solid challenge. Bad players want to play with bad players against bad players so they can learn.

That is literally half of the problem with the leaderboards right now. If you’re an extremely high MMR player, you can’t queue with anything less than a full team because otherwise you get matched with horrendous players and they are a serious liability. Then, even if you win, your MMR gain and LB point gain is minimal, whereas the really bad player is gaining a ton of points, and the enemies might even be gaining points by losing.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

You need to realize that “good” players are really a minority and the “good” players covering the entire 24h in every match 5vs5 is not really big, because the actual spvp population is small.

We say many many times Conquest hasn’t PUG friendly mechanics (one of the main reason because Stronghold will be more PUG friendly) so, matching some “good” player with some “bad” player is inevitable, if you don’t want an infinite queue.

Matchmagking does what it can do, small spvp population (expecially good players) doesn’t help at all.

BTW i remember a lot of compliants about the old leaderboard so i realize this is a Anet tactic to give us something worst to appreciate the old leaderboard.

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

BTW i remember a lot of compliants about the old leaderboard so i realize this is a Anet tactic to give us something worst to appreciate the old leaderboard.

Yeah, these critics came from some players who skipped a few math classes in high school and weren’t able to understand how Glicko2 worked, despite the fact that the formula is given on Wikipedia. Well, this is a typical example where the constant whining on these forums backfired in an awful manner.

in PvP

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

Since the leaderboard change my matches have been getting worse.

Before when it was based entirely on how many games you played I was around the top 300 in the leaderboard, even though i only started doing pvp a month and a half ago. Basically im an average player and since im on thief I cant bunker points or hold 2v1s for very long so i cant carry that much. All the ranked games ive played have been with noobs against much better teams, And unlike many others i no longer have the time to play a lot of games. I feel like im suffering for being somewhat high on the leaderboards before the changes, and now ill probably not be able to get on the leaderboards after the 8 weeks.

in PvP

Posted by: bubby.5798

bubby.5798

“well noone cares bout leaderboard…everyone is already full of worthless lamas anyway so there’s not even a tiny little reason to give any kitten…let alone it’s all about how much ppl play, even if they totally suk
noone outside pve tryhards is gonna setup a full rooster wasting time both waiting for people and qtimes for nothing…you just soloq trying to carry as much as possible while your team is 3v1ing on close, dieing at svanir, going for lord or something else…but hey that’s pvp playerbase right now…so you already know how is gonna end when you que up
luckily you can still go afk and browse youtube for more interesting stuff..looking at screaming goat’s videos is way better then looking at ppl 3v1ing a shout war on close while 4th guy is going chieftain…(Probably getting rekt ofc)”

- hahahahahhahahahahah soooooooooooooooo true

in PvP

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

Since the leaderboard change my matches have been getting worse..

^ this is pretty much how I feel. I’m consistently inconsistent, but have really liked the matches I’ve been put in until this last patch. It is very frustrating. I know it is test, but it is frustrating test especially since the path notes from the 20th aren’t available to be viewed. I would feel better if I knew more about what was done, because I really don’t like the state of this testing patch.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

what if an account is only added to the leaderboard once they pass a volatility threshold for their mmr. new accounts start with higher volatility to help them find their placement quicker, and the volatility is a function of games played, time since last game played, and win/loss of the last 50-100 games played. then also add permanent slowish decay so you have to keep playing to keep your position. and just use mmr as the leaderboard score.

That’s only useful for Team Queue. This will have a number of issues when tpvp and spvp is merged together.

why? the old team queue is the same as the current ranked.

Old teamQ is vastly different than the current rank.

1. Current rank now has twice the number of players thanks to the merge of solo and tpvp.
  2. There are five times the amount of solos than there are teams.
  3. Solo’s are harder to manage because they’re on their own schedule. They make up the current leaderboard now. Top 25 is all solo players.

If you add MMR back like old teamq, you’ll see teams on top of the leaderboard while solo players will get the shaft. It’s proven that solo players are more succeptible to having very very low MMR due to hving done many games and not being on a team.

That’s why your system will never work on the current teamq. Anet can easily fix the leaderboard problem by adding a monthly cap(like other rps do) give casuals a “buff” if they’ve been inactive for X amount of time (like what starcraft does).

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

what if an account is only added to the leaderboard once they pass a volatility threshold for their mmr. new accounts start with higher volatility to help them find their placement quicker, and the volatility is a function of games played, time since last game played, and win/loss of the last 50-100 games played. then also add permanent slowish decay so you have to keep playing to keep your position. and just use mmr as the leaderboard score.

That’s only useful for Team Queue. This will have a number of issues when tpvp and spvp is merged together.

1. Current rank now has twice the number of players thanks to the merge of solo and tpvp.
  3. Solo’s are harder to manage because they’re on their own schedule. They make up the current leaderboard now. Top 25 is all solo players.

If you add MMR back like old teamq, you’ll see teams on top of the leaderboard while solo players will get the shaft. It’s proven that solo players are more succeptible to having very very low MMR due to hving done many games and not being on a team.

That’s why your system will never work on the current teamq. Anet can easily fix the leaderboard problem by adding a monthly cap(like other rps do) give casuals a “buff” if they’ve been inactive for X amount of time (like what starcraft does).

i dont have confidence in your comprehension. :/

the old team queue was… anyone could queue up with any size group (even solo). that hasnt changed. player pool size is irrelevant to how matches are made. current leaderboard measures primarily number of games won instead of primarily who games are won against. my idea is a way to shield the standings from brand new accounts and a way to force people to keep playing to maintain a standing, both of which are concepts league uses.

a monthly cap is a bad idea. theres no reason to tell players “you cant play cuz you play too much”. thats stupid and bad business.

a buff for casuals is a bad idea. i dont even.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

I just wanna know where the hell the bad freaking match tracking thread is. I am so god kitten sick of getting kittens that try soloing lord right at the start of the game, or people that think the beasts on forest are the most important kittening thing on the god kitten map.

6 losses in a row and no matter how hard I try to support my team they just blow, and wind up costing the match thinking they are doing something that is useful. Trying to be polite doesn’t freaking work either.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

I just wanna know where the hell the bad freaking match tracking thread is. I am so god kitten sick of getting kittens that try soloing lord right at the start of the game, or people that think the beasts on forest are the most important kittening thing on the god kitten map.

6 losses in a row and no matter how hard I try to support my team they just blow, and wind up costing the match thinking they are doing something that is useful. Trying to be polite doesn’t freaking work either.

This is happening because for some reason that absolutely boggles my mind, they decided not to reset MMR when resetting the leaderboards. This is a huge indicator that they simply want to go futher towards the grind based leaderboard and not make a MMR or similar based leaderboard.

If they want a grind/points based leaderboard, MMR and matchmaking should be thrown out the window.

If they want “fun matches” and thus keep the shoddy matchmaking, they should throw the points leaderboaed out the window.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

(edited by Reikou.7068)

in PvP

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

When you look at the leaderboard and pet AI (especially flesh golem), it’s easy to think that the current release is still in beta.

It’s pretty shocking that this version is going to go its entire life cycle without a valid leaderboard for PvP and pet AI that isn’t even as good as WoW 1.0 over 10 years ago.

It’s such a shame because the game is so close to being really good for PvPers, but they refuse (or can’t figure out how) to fix the deal-breakers.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

@Josh Davis

Rewarding fighters for winning is well and good. The fly in the ointment is that the teams are necessarily mixed. Punish for losses and you are doing collective punishment when it may be only one player doing badly causing the loss.

If you insist on doing this; The matchmaking needs to weight w/l ratio heavily. Otherwise, there’s going to be a lot of victimizing going on and teams will almost certainly dominate the board.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: mcgriddles.2416

mcgriddles.2416

So far I’m liking this new MMR system. Please don’t change this. I think you are paired with teammates with a high W-L ratio. Before, you were “punished” for doing good. Before you will be paired with people with a lower win percentage. I don’t know what was the intention of arenanet with that, but the ones who are benefiting from it are not newbies that need nursing, it’s the point farmers who are abusing the old MMR.

i still personally feel like i get punished for doing well. two days ago my friends and i were on one hell of a win streak, probably taking 2-4 wins for every loss. the problem with the win streak was that we were winning against teams that we probably should not have been up against. we just steamrolled them, whether the enemy team was inexperienced or they had a ragequit/disconnect and we ended up going 5v4.

yesterday and today have been much different. we keep going up against teams that steamroll US, and if we aren’t in a full party we get pugs who are pretty much brand new to the game and don’t have the same level of experience as we do. we’ve been matched up against the same (very small, as in the same team of 3-5 players from the same guild) pool of players who we know are very very very very very skilled and well-coordinated.

i realize that this post may make me sound arrogant and i’m really not trying to come across that way. i don’t expect to win every match, nor do i want to. pvp would become insanely boring very fast. but i can say it is extremely frustrating to go up against the same. team. for nearly every match for like two days straight. it just makes me really wonder about the matchmaking system if we either get teams that we roll right over or the same premade team with extremely high levels of coordination?

Incursiön [iN]

(edited by mcgriddles.2416)

in PvP

Posted by: tronjeremy.5820

tronjeremy.5820

The players at the top of the leader-boards are going through hell to keep that top spot and just basically throwing away time grinding. Many people who made the top on last-leader board season were so worn out they didn’t even want to think about doing it again. This is no way to run a leader-board. It ends up leaving the winners sour and tired. This should definitely be adjusted to reward the talent and not the time.

Best Teef NA – http://twitch.tv/tronjeremy_
S/D Condi Build Video – http://goo.gl/bYGs9n
Stronkhold Beta Gameplay – http://goo.gl/IMb8qb

in PvP

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

I think my matchmaking is like 80% good with close matches. Then 15% of the time my team has one or two people who are frustratingly bad mechanically – to the point that playing Shoutbow to babysit them does not work at all. Most of my punishing loss falls to this area as the system expects me to carry the match. And another 5% of the time I become a black sheep to balance my other teammate’s high MMR against a full premade. Then I pray that I’m not too heavy for them to carry. That sums up my mixed feeling about the current MMR.

Out of curiosity, why isn’t MMR used to normalize the rank points of the leaderboard? For example, if I have a lower to mid MMR, my points wouldn’t be full 35, but instead my effective point would be (35 x MMR coefficient) which lower than 35.

Attachments:

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

in PvP

Posted by: itawashii.4087

itawashii.4087

One question – WTF IS THIS kitten?

#matchmaking #at #its #finest

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: GhOst.4019

GhOst.4019

I think my matchmaking is like 80% good with close matches. Then 15% of the time my team has one or two people who are frustratingly bad mechanically – to the point that playing Shoutbow to babysit them does not work at all. Most of my punishing loss falls to this area as the system expects me to carry the match. And another 5% of the time I become a black sheep to balance my other teammate’s high MMR against a full premade. Then I pray that I’m not too heavy for them to carry. That sums up my mixed feeling about the current MMR.

Out of curiosity, why isn’t MMR used to normalize the rank points of the leaderboard? For example, if I have a lower to mid MMR, my points wouldn’t be full 35, but instead my effective point would be (35 x MMR coefficient) which lower than 35.

Did you look at your own team? All 4 of those players are Esportz (not just 2). The only oddball is you in there. 4+1 vs 5 is a pretty close matchup…. You team might not have been a full party of 4 but they know each other. The enemy team also doesn’t not normally team together. They are actually most likely a 3+2.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

(edited by GhOst.4019)

in PvP

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

just game the system.

• get 5 random people together that all have access to an internet connection, headsets, gw2 and TS, vent, or whatevs.
  • everyone rolls turret engies
  • win matches against all the random teams
  • lose less matches than you win because random teams won’t win vs. 5 engies
  • claim your jolly llamas at the end of the test

I am tired of tests. I am tired of solo queue not having it’s own queue. you had to win 10 games in a row in RA to get into TA when you queued for RA. Bring Solo queue back.

We need tiers. We need rewards for tiers we are in.

All this testing is getting old. This stuff should have been ironed out ages upon ages ago.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

i dont have confidence in your comprehension. :/

the old team queue was… anyone could queue up with any size group (even solo). that hasnt changed. player pool size is irrelevant to how matches are made. current leaderboard measures primarily number of games won instead of primarily who games are won against. my idea is a way to shield the standings from brand new accounts and a way to force people to keep playing to maintain a standing, both of which are concepts league uses.

a monthly cap is a bad idea. theres no reason to tell players “you cant play cuz you play too much”. thats stupid and bad business.

a buff for casuals is a bad idea. i dont even.

“Buff for casuals” is what starcraft does for casuals who’ve been inactive in the season for X amount of time.
Other MMOs like that shall not be named have weekly caps instead of monthly. How is this any different? Currently this game’s leaderboard is terrible so it’s actually a good suggestion and i’m not the first one who suggested it.

Player pool size completely effects how that player is scored. Ex: Player plays with the same group of people numerous times, based on luck, he will either do good or worse depending on these people. There’s not a huge pool of people for an ELO or Glicko system to work. Saying that population doesn’t play a factor is naive thinking.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Did you look at your own team? All 4 of those players are Esportz (not just 2). The only oddball is you in there. 4+1 vs 5 is a pretty close matchup…. You team might not have been a full party of 4 but they know each other. The enemy team also doesn’t not normally team together. They are actually most likely a 3+2.

My conclusion was that the enemy team knows each other well and works together like a full premade From my team, we were fully solo Q and folks were already at each other’s throat before the match started. I only know of AK and Hiba’s fame so forgive me if I don’t know anything about the other two teammates. But my impression is still the same. I clearly didn’t belong to that bracket.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

in PvP

insanemaniac.2456

Other MMOs like that shall not be named have weekly caps instead of monthly. How is this any different? Currently this game’s leaderboard is terrible so it’s actually a good suggestion and i’m not the first one who suggested it.

the leaderboard being terrible doesnt make it a good suggestion. telling people they cant play is stupid.

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

the leaderboard being terrible doesnt make it a good suggestion. telling people they cant play is stupid.

You miss understand. They can play till their hearts content. Once they reach their alloted game count, the additional games they play wont be accounted for on the leaderboards.

People will obviously still play because of the reward tracks, helping their friends, etc.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

The current matchmaking handicaps are turning me into a toxic, cynical kitten when I solo queue.

For the sake of mine and my team’s sanity please stop using brand new players as a handicap to counter the presence of high MMR players. My blood pressure is reaching all time highs.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: tronjeremy.5820

tronjeremy.5820

We’re all guinea pigs.

Best Teef NA – http://twitch.tv/tronjeremy_
S/D Condi Build Video – http://goo.gl/bYGs9n
Stronkhold Beta Gameplay – http://goo.gl/IMb8qb

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

This new matchmaking is horrible. I can’t play solo ranked arenas, because I get only mega noobs in my team while the enemy team is full premade. I really don’t get it. Can anyone explain this to me? …

If you yolo queue you’re only gonna get farmed by premades

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

The current matchmaking handicaps are turning me into a toxic, cynical kitten when I solo queue.

For the sake of mine and my team’s sanity please stop using brand new players as a handicap to counter the presence of high MMR players. My blood pressure is reaching all time highs.

Wow if one of the best players in the game hands down thinks this new matchmaking is garbage, maybe anet will listen? I hope.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

The leaderboard is so whack they they actually have the little green arrow icon under the wins/losses columns.

Maybe they are not sure that it’s impossible to go backwards in wins/losses so they are beta testing to see if a red arrow ever appears in these columns…lol

This game is several years old…please get this straight…or at least fix the obviously embarrassing things.

in PvP

insanemaniac.2456

You miss understand. They can play till their hearts content. Once they reach their alloted game count, the additional games they play wont be accounted for on the leaderboards.

People will obviously still play because of the reward tracks, helping their friends, etc.

i dont misunderstand at all.
how often do you intentionally do more than 3 dailies? (or 4 if youre a trade wins kinda person.)

in PvP

Posted by: Lexiceta.4156

Lexiceta.4156

So much QQ thinking the only problem people have with the leaderboards is it doesn’t automatically put them on top, like they think they deserve. With no effort required.

(edited by Lexiceta.4156)

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

I don’t play gw2 anymore, but after 7ish months of not touching the game at all I thought i would see if anything has changed. The only thing I see is, “..It is in testing…” So after 5 years development and 3 years on the market the testing phase is still not complete. If my maths serves me correctly, that’s 8 years of testing. Think about that from a players point of view..particularly one that has stopped playing altogether.

in PvP

Posted by: Tranassa.4968

Tranassa.4968

Wow if one of the best players in the game hands down thinks this new matchmaking is garbage, maybe anet will listen? I hope.

Sure they will.
The question is if they are doing something and how many years it will take!
But maybe Santa Claus is going to help them?! Who knows…

I mean seriously, we told them 1 month after release that the game has so much potential, but…
And until now all we got is a few new maps, a few balance desasters, a new reward system that turned us all to lvl 80 in one patch, skyhammer and skyhammer farmers, turet engis and soon a new gamemode.
Okay actually we got pretty much.
Maybe not what we wanted, but we got something.

I’m playing on EU
Automated Tournaments!

in PvP

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

What I dont understand is why we have to be punished 2 and a half year later after release, and still things arent fixed. Furthermore they want to test more, but what is there to test when the horse is dead? As others have stated, copy working systems (ELO for example) from other games and stop wasting resources and dev time that could’ve been better spent elsewhere, not to mention it kills community and growth. Efficiency, not another deja vu new player experience because it was o-so-wanted!

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in PvP

Lexiceta.4156

That’s the way it was and you think there is complaining now there was as much if not more then. Pretty much everyone wants a leaderboard that puts them on top with no effort on their part.

in PvP

MarkPhilips.5169

Honestly “effort” should be the skill to be better than your opponent, not having 12 hours + day for 2 months to reach the higher lb tier.

Basically you can instantly schedule what your placement will be at the end of the season if you know your average games/daily.

in PvP

Lexiceta.4156

So it should be win 1 and never lose and your the best? please. If elo is way to do it the make a minimum number of ranked matches like about 1-3 thousand, none of the couple hundred games and claiming to be number 1. of course matchmaking will have to be dropped currently it matches to keep you at 50%. So number one would be to eliminate that.

in PvP

MarkPhilips.5169

So it should be win 1 and never lose and your the best? please. If elo is way to do it the make a minimum number of ranked matches like about 1-3 thousand, none of the couple hundred games and claiming to be number 1. of course matchmaking will have to be dropped currently it matches to keep you at 50%. So number one would be to eliminate that.

I’m not saying it was a good thing people with 100 matches ot less were the number 1

But i think it’s possible find a good compromise between play 12 hours for 2 months and just grinding (doesn’t matter if you’re good or not) and play 2 hours in the entire season and keep you top5 position.

in PvP

Posted by: Burn.5401

Burn.5401

Seriously, instead of doing a testing season for months at something when everyone is telling you that doesn’t work a week after, you should use the remaining time to make changes to the system and try to fix it accordingly. What it looks to me and all the other players is plain lazyness as this game and this pvp mode has existed for 3 years – still doesn’t have a working leaderboard/matchmaking.

in PvP

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Thanks for writing up your concerns so succinctly.

This test season is intended to test an algorithm that’s tailored towards ranking players higher for better W/L ratios, in addition to using points gained from playing (meaning games played does not become valueless). The algorithm we’re using this time around is completely different than what was previously tested, and they both have different purposes. We’re already having internal discussions on how we can adjust this season’s algorithm to better suit the goals we stated on Thursday – rewarding players who play well, not just play. These discussions will continue into the next week, and now we have an entire weekend’s worth of data that we can look at and extrapolate on.

An important thing to keep in mind is that these events are tests, and the only thing we’re testing right now is the formula behind ranking. We’re gathering a lot of useful data that we can use to help us make better decisions. These “test seasons” not a final product by stretch of the imagination.

What was wrong about the old leader boards?

in PvP

Posted by: pelle ossa.9705

pelle ossa.9705

the old leaderboard was too good , so they make a new leaderboard for respect theyr standart… and because the new leaderboard reward better the casual yolo spvp player

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

This test season is intended to test an algorithm that’s tailored towards ranking players higher for better W/L ratios, in addition to using points gained from playing (meaning games played does not become valueless). The algorithm we’re using this time around is completely different than what was previously tested, and they both have different purposes. We’re already having internal discussions on how we can adjust this season’s algorithm to better suit the goals we stated on Thursday – rewarding players who play well, not just play. These discussions will continue into the next week, and now we have an entire weekend’s worth of data that we can look at and extrapolate on.

An important thing to keep in mind is that these events are tests, and the only thing we’re testing right now is the formula behind ranking. We’re gathering a lot of useful data that we can use to help us make better decisions. These “test seasons” not a final product by stretch of the imagination.

People weren’t incentivized to do their best, so many just yolo’d and laughed at leaderboards, citing them as inaccurate because lots of good players were lower than they should be.

Oh, and relatively new players could get extremely high on the leaderboards and stay there for a while. Volatility, and fake decay are the 2nd and 3rd problems.

If we went back, added real rewards, capped how much rank you can swing from a single win/loss, added real decay for not meeting the minimum weekly game threshold, I dare say we’d usher in a new era of competitiveness.

I sincerely hope we turn back to more promising prospective models/algorithms as quickly as possible.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

Personally I strongly think there is no algorithm (just have a look at leaderboard). In my opinion, employees often like using fancy words for simple formulas, just to increase the value of their work and look great in front of their boss or support. I think this is the case: there is no special or complex algorithm in GW2 PvP. They should have stayed with Glicko but now is too late to return, while promises for kids and expectations from mature community are high.

in PvP

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

It definitely feels like a mixed bag. Some matches are amazing, where everyone is on point. And then other matches I have medi guards running far with no swiftness or thieves trying to take on turrets.

I’ve been struggling to get above a 54% win rate because it feels like when I start getting on a roll I get put up against premades or paired with daily-achievers. Losing against highly skilled players is totally all right by me, but it feels like I am regularly paired up with players that are less than adequate to those demands.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

in PvP

Posted by: Kyban.4031

Kyban.4031

Personally I strongly think there is no algorithm (just have a look at leaderboard). In my opinion, employees often like using fancy words for simple formulas, just to increase the value of their work and look great in front of their boss or support. I think this is the case: there is no special or complex algorithm in GW2 PvP. They should have stayed with Glicko but now is too late to return, while promises for kids and expectations from mature community are high.

They are still using Glicko2 AFAIK for the MMR, the leaderboards are completely seperate though. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Matchmaking_Algorithm is out of date slightly but the current leaderboard system uses similar scoring. Points are earned for matches won or close matches with unfavorable odds and the more you play the more points you can rack up as long as you aren’t throwing games.

in PvP

Lexiceta.4156

If there were a golf tour of 50 games available, and Player A plays in 25 of these tourneys and and wins 17 of these matches. Player B plays all 50 matches wins 25 of these matches. Which is ranked higher? Of course Player B, he won more matches, It seems no one can agree on what good is, but there are a limited number of matches that can be played in a season, clearly the one the wins the most is rankled no. 1. Not the guy that decided not to play in half the available matches.

in PvP

Posted by: Kyban.4031

Kyban.4031

If there were a golf tour of 50 games available, and Player A plays in 25 of these tourneys and and wins 17 of these matches. Player B plays all 50 matches wins 25 of these matches. Which is ranked higher? Of course Player B, he won more matches, It seems no one can agree on what good is, but there are a limited number of matches that can be played in a season, clearly the one the wins the most is rankled no. 1. Not the guy that decided not to play in half the available matches.

Actually, they often assign points for each of the matches and take the top X matches for sports tours.

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

An important thing to keep in mind is that these events are tests, and the only thing we’re testing right now is the formula behind ranking. We’re gathering a lot of useful data that we can use to help us make better decisions. These “test seasons” not a final product by any stretch of the imagination.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Ladder-Test-Season-Changes-3-27/first