TheLordHelseth on how to carry SoloQ

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Here’s what I had to live with over the last few days:

-Thieves not decapping but rather rallybotting in mid fight like 10+ times in a match
-Warrior running straight to gates in legacy at beginning and opening them…. both of course… then starts rageing because he gets killed doing it… and runs back to do it again, pronouncing proudly that he carries because he keeps 2+ “busy” (for about 30 seconds until EP runs out and he bleeds out)
-Druid standing on hill to the sides of mid legacy, using staff1, staff2… all the time (probably thought he did good dmg there)
-Mesmers without portals
-Necro dieing to cleric tempest in under 2 minutes (I didnt even try killing him…. he just died)
-Bad builds like FT scrapper (scrapper! not old school non-hot account)
-Mindless mid running and insta dieing – too often to actually count professions… but necros seem to be those with most problems with tunnelvision
-AFK

Thats only the worst. I got those players at one point or another on my team. Sometimes only one… sometimes three. Only one every three games they are on enemy team.

Now tell me how to carry such bad decisions… and no 1v4 is actually not a solution, do the math please.

We have all been there, ill share 2 pics from today. Ive gotten to the point were the players i play against now are not losing quickly so it staking more time. I now can now no longer carry but depend on my team mates to be equally good. I will either get stuck in this division or slowly creep to the next.

Its a little odd to me that people believe they have a right to move up divisions. If people want to argue fun of the MM system, you have me beat. Yet many people post about how they cant carry scrubs or the people they play with are so bad. In my pics i am guessing these are players who could win there 1 vs 1 and sustain in lower divisions but unfortunately cant anymore vs better players.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

-Thieves not decapping but rather rallybotting in mid fight like 10+ times in a match
-Warrior running straight to gates in legacy at beginning and opening them…. both of course… then starts rageing because he gets killed doing it… and runs back to do it again, pronouncing proudly that he carries because he keeps 2+ “busy” (for about 30 seconds until EP runs out and he bleeds out)
-Druid standing on hill to the sides of mid legacy, using staff1, staff2… all the time (probably thought he did good dmg there)
-Mesmers without portals
-Necro dieing to cleric tempest in under 2 minutes (I didnt even try killing him…. he just died)
-Mindless mid running and insta dieing – too often to actually count professions… but necros seem to be those with most problems with tunnelvision
-AFK

Thats only the worst. I got those players at one point or another on my team. Sometimes only one… sometimes three. Only one every three games they are on enemy team.

Now tell me how to carry such bad decisions… and no 1v4 is actually not a solution, do the math please.

We have all been there, ill share 2 pics from today. Ive gotten to the point were the players i play against now are not losing quickly so it staking more time. I now can now no longer carry but depend on my team mates to be equally good. I will either get stuck in this division or slowly creep to the next.

Its a little odd to me that people believe they have a right to move up divisions. If people want to argue fun of the MM system, you have me beat. Yet many people post about how they cant carry scrubs or the people they play with are so bad. In my pics i am guessing these are players who could win there 1 vs 1 and sustain in lower divisions but unfortunately cant anymore vs better players.

Yeah sure because you are playing RIFLE!!? warrior.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

in PvP

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

ill boost anyone to legend 5€ a pip hit me up

Oh, great! Just what we need… :/

in PvP

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

You can tell by the way he acts it’s stressing him out quite a lot when people quit back and forth, telling how broken this game is getting.

This game is his everything.

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Not to mention at the developers conference this week ANet said they were “well aware that there are some frustrating matchups” and they hope to do something to alleviate that in Season 3.

As usual, the truth lies somewhere between the extremes of “everything is fine, it’s you that sucks” and “I am fine, it’s the matchmaking that sucks”.

You seem to be missing some key words here…

“We are definitely aware that there are some frustrating match-ups being made during this Season’s INITIAL KICK OFF PERIOD and we are actively working to improve this for Season 3.” – Erik

“We have gotten a lot of data on the first 2 weeks of the season and plan on making some changes to address some of the matchmaking pain points you are describing in season 3. We also are looking into improving the INITIAL STARTING PERIOD of league seasons with regards to match quality.” – Hugh

What they actually said is that the first week or so where low MMR players are getting slaughtered by high MMR players is the issue. The solution will probably be to give high ranked players some free division/tiers to help lower the number of blowouts in the first weeks. The matchup algorithm will probably be unchanged.

… I still want tengu.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Why do people use this argument to belittle those who complain about matchmaking?
This kind of logic would make sense in games like LoL or Dota because in those games, when you get kills, you progressively get stronger due to item purchases. That means yes, one person can solo wipe the enemy team because they are exponentially stronger in terms of stats than the enemy.
This is parallel to EoTM or WvW, where level 80s (+/- elite specs) can solo wipe rally bots up-levels.

But it doesn’t work for PvP, where your stats are constant. Even if you get a kill, you won’t be able to kill them faster in the next encounter.
To carry, you should be able to play 1v2 and win? Again, it’s easier in LoL to double kill than it is in GW2. You both have the same number distribution of stats, so even if you play perfectly (which would award you a win in a 1v1 situation not counting class counters), in a 1v2 situation, your enemy must play worse than you. It gets increasingly hard to 1v3, 1v4, and nearly impossible to 1v5.

Say you can 1v2, that means you now rely on your teammates to win the 4v3. That’s not carrying at all, that means you need to have competent teammates.
Not to mention not having competent enemies who can also 1v2.

+111

I was hoping Steonghold was a mini moba game where you can earn utilities and/or traits as you progress

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

But aren’t we at the tail end of the INITIAL STARTING PERIOD?

I mean we are 13 days into a 60 day season.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I didn’t say you wouldn’t play against better players, I said you play against terrible players – meaning terrible players are better than you and your team.

There’s terrible, and there’s terrible. With current system, if you have low mmr, you are being teamed up with the worst of the worst, and against new people (that may be bad, but may not be), new smurf accounts, latecomers and the best of the worst. And even if you’re personally better than the whole opposing team, you can be at only one point at the time. All the enemy team needs to do to win is to avoid you and let you cap in peace.

As people mentioned earlier even pve friends who play pvp 7 days a year are already out of those divisions.

Some are, some aren’t. And as i mentioned, some aren’t because they were teamqueued out of it (because nothing less worked).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

-Mesmers without portals
-AFK

Yeah sure because you are playing RIFLE!!? warrior.

You are exactly my point, i play with rifle on my warrior. You think it makes me not as good which brings up the other point. How well do you know your classes? For me alot of the classes have become very similar but there are small differences. You can take advantage of that and if you know how to play.

Attachments:

in PvP

Astralporing.1957

And another person mistakenly thinks the winning streak he received from the system is due to their personal skill.

Actions, not words.

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

And another person mistakenly thinks the winning streak he received from the system is due to their personal skill.

If you would of read my other posts you would of seen that in the division i am in i said i can no longer carry. Also i must say i am not the weak link in any of my matches. I have had 1 person on the forum comment about my warrior and using a rifle and 1 player in game comment about me using my rifle. Do i think is some illusion that im winning? Nope, also im sitting in between the fence.

Do i think MM is good this season? Not really, but i do think its better then last years.? Yes i do, also how would i rate my personal skills? Please ill show another one and tell me how i should think.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: ranciddy.8243

ranciddy.8243

Wow. Seems like a lot of people here don’t want to hear criticisms of their play.

To explain, I think I’m a slightly above average PvP player. I understand rotations, and class mechanics. I’ve played all classes and understand their strengths and weaknesses. I winstreaked up to Sapphire Tier 4 in a day with a few winstreaks then I bottomed out there, hitting a bunch of losses. I’m still there right now.

After watching this video, I think I’m going to adjust the way I play PvP. I realize now that it’s important to play both the opposite team, and your team. Carrying isn’t just winning your 1v1s and teamfights. It’s thinking ahead of the game, making quick decisions and being aware of what is happening on the map.

If you keep going into match after match trying the same thing and failing, maybe it’s time for a new strategy. I’m going to try that out tonight, and see what sort of difference it makes.

Good luck to everyone out there who isn’t advancing the way you would like. I know it’s just easier to get angry and blame your teammates or the game mechanics, but I’m going to look inside myself and see what I can do to change my luck.

in PvP

Astralporing.1957

Do i think is some illusion that im winning?

Nope. I just think that your winning has a lot more to do with the system consistently supplying you with better teammates than opponents than with your personal skill.

If you look at the game results in the picture you have submitted, you can see that most of them were blowouts and none were close games. That’s the best proof that the matchmaking system is stacking the odds in your favour.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

we are not all that good even if we followed his advice we still wouldn’t be good enough to carry teams against better opposition.

So… isn’t the point here to get better..?

No…their point is they want a first place trophy for finishing 37th.

in PvP

Posted by: Rickster.8752

Rickster.8752

Helseth was never good enough to carry solo queue when real solo queue came out. He never was good enough to get ranked high enough on a consistent basis. So I wouldn’t listen or care what he thinks.

Official winner of solo queue MMR leaderboards – EU

in PvP

Posted by: ranciddy.8243

ranciddy.8243

Helseth was never good enough to carry solo queue when real solo queue came out. He never was good enough to get ranked high enough on a consistent basis. So I wouldn’t listen or care what he thinks.

I would suggest that you watch his streams, especially when he was doing unranked between seasons. I understand some people not liking Helseth, but to say that he’s not a good PvP player is laughably wrong.

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Same posters, same QQ about being “stuck” in low divisions. Welcome to your skill caps. Sorry the math isn’t holding your hand with easily exploitable work-arounds. You are in the division you are in, not progressing, because you JUST AREN’T THAT GOOD. How do you think those above you got better and progressed? Took their lumps, lost games, invested their time/energy into improving their gameplay.

It is not your right to get legendary status, or gear. Either do what you need to get better, or get out. Stop whining about the same old kitten. The entire forum is swamped with the same 8 people complaining, again and again. Some of us are actually trying to read up on mechanics and strategy here, you know—doing what we must to improve.

Just to disclaim: I am t4-5 ruby depending on wins/losses during that session. I have had several 10 game + streaks. I have also had to ‘carry’ or eat pip losses. Take advantage of getting stomped, and try to learn something.

Your undeserved sense of entitlement is nauseating.

Is it me or every time you communicate it’s utterly aggressive and seeking to belittle?

I have the same rank you do and my experience is very different. I can definitely see a problem with how rating works and MM is using it and how some will have it harder or easier because of the system all other variables being equal. Getting success is no reason to be blind.

in PvP

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Same posters, same QQ about being “stuck” in low divisions. Welcome to your skill caps. Sorry the math isn’t holding your hand with easily exploitable work-arounds. You are in the division you are in, not progressing, because you JUST AREN’T THAT GOOD. How do you think those above you got better and progressed? Took their lumps, lost games, invested their time/energy into improving their gameplay.

It is not your right to get legendary status, or gear. Either do what you need to get better, or get out. Stop whining about the same old kitten. The entire forum is swamped with the same 8 people complaining, again and again. Some of us are actually trying to read up on mechanics and strategy here, you know—doing what we must to improve.

Just to disclaim: I am t4-5 ruby depending on wins/losses during that session. I have had several 10 game + streaks. I have also had to ‘carry’ or eat pip losses. Take advantage of getting stomped, and try to learn something.

Is it me or every time you communicate it’s utterly aggressive and seeking to belittle?

I have the same rank you do and my experience is very different. I can definitely see a problem with how rating works and MM is using it and how some will have it harder or easier because of the system all other variables being equal. Getting success is no reason to be blind.

But what you failed to see was that people who claiming to have 5% win rate or 30 loss streaks are mostly excusing themselves. Think about it, if there are truly as many bad team mates as they claim to have then they will surely be matched against them, and occasinally enemy will have lower mmr, yet they still manage to lose.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

But what you failed to see was that people who claiming to have 5% win rate or 30 loss streaks are mostly excusing themselves. Think about it, if there are truly as many bad team mates as they claim to have then they will surely be matched against them, and occasinally enemy will have lower mmr, yet they still manage to lose.

I do not fail to see that. I don’t know why you say I fail to see that at all. I’m not blind. However, the spiral of doom is a real thing. Regardless of ppl, it is not an excuse to say there is a vice in the current system.

The problem with your reasoning is you forget how MMR is used and attributed as well as what it can or not mean. Your MMR, as far as I have understood, is use to form YOUR team not match you with the other team. This, too often, lead you toward inheriting the same ppl over and over again. Which lead to more losses and so on.

The other team will be within 15 pips of you but it’s MMR and how valid it is for the individuals in that team(there is a difference between 50% MMR for a guy with 1k matches and 50% for a brand new guy) are an entirely different story.

The side of this debate that refuse to acknowledge something might not be the one you think.

in PvP

Astralporing.1957

Sure, occasionally. That’s why they have 5% win rate, not 0%.

Actions, not words.

in PvP

Posted by: basz.6129

basz.6129

It probably seems that way because of your guilty conscience. If what I say doesn’t apply, let if fly. Obviously I have hit the nail on the head, repeatedly, as I have taken my smoke breaks to read and reply to some of the QQ posts in pvp forum. You’re in every. single. one.

Every one. Same complaint. Feeding these asinine posts with responses in agreement. If you spent 1/10 the time playing with intent to get better, that you do as a forum warrior, this “problem” wouldn’t exist. If you are almost out of ruby to diamond, but also having problems being stuck in emerald/sapphire, are you playing multiple accounts? If so, is it because you think somehow you will be a more effective player, under a different name? Are you aware that swapping accounts is a pretty tell-tale sign of exploiters and gold sellers? That what this is really about, attack anet and the system because they are blocking your business?

If you aren’t stuck in emerald/sapph, and are in ruby/almost diamond, what exactly is the problem? Why did you say you were stuck in lower divisions in a downward spiral due to the MMR targeting special-special-you, if you in fact are not? Were you lying then, or are you lying now?

Find something legitimate to talk about, or QQ quietly in mom’s basement to yourself. Your logic is as awful as your play, and now that we all know you lie, everything you say has even less validity than it did.

in PvP

Astralporing.1957

If you aren’t stuck in emerald/sapph, and are in ruby/almost diamond, what exactly is the problem?

“you have benefitted from the broken matchmaking system, why would you complain?”
You think that if you benefit from game problems, you should keep silent about it?

Actions, not words.

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

It probably seems that way because of your guilty conscience. If what I say doesn’t apply, let if fly. Obviously I have hit the nail on the head, repeatedly, as I have taken my smoke breaks to read and reply to some of the QQ posts in pvp forum. You’re in every. single. one.

Every one. Same complaint. Feeding these asinine posts with responses in agreement. If you spent 1/10 the time playing with intent to get better, that you do as a forum warrior, this “problem” wouldn’t exist. If you are almost out of ruby to diamond, but also having problems being stuck in emerald/sapphire, are you playing multiple accounts? If so, is it because you think somehow you will be a more effective player, under a different name? Are you aware that swapping accounts is a pretty tell-tale sign of exploiters and gold sellers? That what this is really about, attack anet and the system because they are blocking your business?

If you aren’t stuck in emerald/sapph, and are in ruby/almost diamond, what exactly is the problem? Why did you say you were stuck in lower divisions in a downward spiral due to the MMR targeting special-special-you, if you in fact are not? Were you lying then, or are you lying now?

Find something legitimate to talk about, or QQ quietly in mom’s basement to yourself. Your logic is as awful as your play, and now that we all know you lie, everything you say has even less validity than it did.

I like how you seem to know others better than they do. I don’t know how my conscience would lead me to this conclusion but, hey, why not…

There is an underlying assumption in your discourse that these ppl are lazy and have no legitimate claims to say what they did. There isn’t any maybes or attempts to not lump everyone in the same basket. Maybe these ppl would stop “whining” if ppl like you would acknowledge the parts of their claims that are not just whining… the tone you take to say this also doesn’t really help. But maybe it’s just me and my guilty conscience…

Also, “Your undeserved sense of entitlement is nauseating.”… Wow, really? I’m not going to ask for your political orientation… Anyway, how do you explain some ppl of your rank not viewing it like you at all? Surely if only skill can have gotten them there they would see it like you no? Maybe they saw something you didn’t and, yeah, feel guilty of telling others to suck it up being aware of it. Maybe they realized and accepted that their accomplishments and efforts alone is far from explaining where they are now.

In that sense you might have a point about my conscience. I guess that would be my problem with what you say without ever considering valid arguments that contradict your stance. You are utterly ignorant of others experience and unique path but it sure doesn’t stop you from having it all figured out.

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

we are not all that good even if we followed his advice we still wouldn’t be good enough to carry teams against better opposition.

No we don’t.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: LordOtto.2650

LordOtto.2650

This ranked game mode now is a pip farm for elites, who are even make pre-made teams to… so how could a good solo player advance?! Watch Helseth?! That arrogant person shows what you want to see, blinds you like the media, he played some games solo, but he duo queued 50% of the time, and I even bet he 5 man pre-made many matches… there is no solo queue, only for the best players, who play several hours… so this" tournament" how Anet claims is a solo players joke, an insult..
HOW CAN BE THIS BE A TOURNAMENT, WHEN THERE IS A FULL PRE-MADE TEAM, AGAINST 5 MAN SOLO TEAM?! OH THERE IS A 2 PLAYER DUO TEAM! AND THEY CALL IT TOURNAMENT?! PHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
You know what is a tournament?! This is a “Cheating Tournament”, if you call it “tournament”. PPL asked pure solo queue, solo vs solo, ANET given us cats…
And want to ask me were I am, I am at ruby 28 pips, I played twice the entire season with 3 man pre-made, not more!

in PvP

morrolan.9608

Yet anet have acknowledged theres an issue.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

No we don’t.

Oh really? Do you think you’re a legendary tiered player?

in PvP

morrolan.9608

No we don’t.

Oh really? Do you think you’re a legendary tiered player?

No, I know I’m not but I don’t want a legendary trophy. I want the backpack but thats not a trophy for making legendary. And anyway playing ranked has improved my game but I won’t ever be a pro player.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in PvP

Posted by: Yukiatsuruko.3784

Yukiatsuruko.3784

Some of the people in this thread should stream their games so that we can see if they are truly gods of PvP and that it’s just their teammates holding them back.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection.

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

This ranked game mode now is a pip farm for elites, who are even make pre-made teams to… so how could a good solo player advance?! Watch Helseth?! That arrogant person shows what you want to see, blinds you like the media, he played some games solo, but he duo queued 50% of the time, and I even bet he 5 man pre-made many matches… there is no solo queue, only for the best players, who play several hours… so this" tournament" how Anet claims is a solo players joke, an insult..
HOW CAN BE THIS BE A TOURNAMENT, WHEN THERE IS A FULL PRE-MADE TEAM, AGAINST 5 MAN SOLO TEAM?! OH THERE IS A 2 PLAYER DUO TEAM! AND THEY CALL IT TOURNAMENT?! PHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
You know what is a tournament?! This is a “Cheating Tournament”, if you call it “tournament”. PPL asked pure solo queue, solo vs solo, ANET given us cats…
And want to ask me were I am, I am at ruby 28 pips, I played twice the entire season with 3 man pre-made, not more!

No one ever called it a tournament. It’s a called a season.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: LordOtto.2650

LordOtto.2650

LordOtto.2650:

“tichorum.2415
No one ever called it a tournament. It’s a called a season.”

Anet called it “Tournament”; “ppl should think of it like a tournament”! There is a forum posted about ppl asking questions and this is one of ANET’s response…

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Premade becomes the only way to advance if the game shoves you in “mmr hell”. Suck it up. I did and I’m almost out of sapphire. I don’t voip though, just teamed with players who try their best to cleave downed enemy targets and actually assist me when I do moa

This actually brings win.

^ To anyone thinking that letting the enemy res their downed fellow is a good idea. You’d be surprised how often i get such stupid people on my team unless I premade.

The first team you win with, ask them to make a party. That’s what I did. We are not the best team by a large margin, but we score wins. Lots of them.

(edited by Ravenmoon.5318)

in PvP

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

That sums up 90% of all video game players, including everyone in this thread.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in PvP

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

That sums up 90% of all video game players, including everyone in this thread.

Yes, but a good game developer understands that, and designs the gameplay to be fun for ALL players, including those that aren’t particularly good. People keep saying things to the effect of “you aren’t as good as you think you are,” as if that somehow would resolve anything. Whether a player is any good or not, the problem is whether he is enjoying himself or not, and the consensus seems to be that a lot of players are not enjoying this current gameplay experience.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

This video gives a good explanation of what people are facing. Well done Helseth.

If you are having difficulty this season, I highly recommend watching what he has to say. At a minimum, it will give you insight into what some of your toughest opponents are trying to do to you and your team.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Just had a few more games with my “equals”. One of the highlight of the match where I finally lost it was when I said in map chat “get mist”. After seeing nobody lifting a finger and I seeing I was alone thinking this was important, one of my “equal” replied and asked “where is it and where are you”.

Later in the match, I was already boiling inside so much at that point, the same guy said in map chat that we could win by defending and it was my bad if I was alone trying to go offense and escort the hero and bombers (nvm the plan we had)… I look at score, the enemy was leading by 100 pts…