Ultimately, here's what I don't get...

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

Been playing for over 800 hours or so, and I still feel this is the best action-oriented PvP engine I’ve ever played. I still defend Anet to this day over their mechanics, and I honestly only still play the game due to their artful detail in characters and environments and the game engine.

So… you create this massive undertaking, 5+ years in the making, produce (arguably) one of the best PvP engines around and then… make your ‘elite’ PvP about point control only? I just don’t get it anymore. Countless builds that are viable… at least in a 1v1 or 2v2 duel/arena type scenario, but in conquest? Maybe one or two. Ele’s are forced into incredibly powerful bunker builds because it’s the only build they can use at top level, guardians are fantasticly offensive but still have to go bunker to get full use out of their ability to hold a point, whereas 2v2 and 3v3 arena type scenarios would unlock COUNTLESS PvP potential, when you consider neat little effects added in by Sigils and Runes, effects which become nearly pointless in tPvP. Want to steal health and turn into mist at low health with the Vampire Runes?

Too bad, you need to hold a point, take a point, or get to a point quickly. And that’s what the game becomes the higher up in ability you go… no classic 1v1 or 2v2 duels, because they waste time, and you have no time to waste in point control. Get there quick and overpower/outnumber, or get there quick and bunker and wait for your enemy to be overpowered/outnumbered.

This game feels like a corvette engine that they decided to put in an old chevette. Why make such a fantastic PvP engine based on skill, and then make top level PvP less about your ability to move, counter, and outfight your opponent… and more about map movement?

Just frustrating is all, and a massive missed opportunity in my opinion.

I’ll still keep playing… here and there, because it’s still a really good engine. I don’t think I’m alone in this thinking. But man… how much more awesome would it be if you could truly build your own team in a arena scenario? The customization of this game would make it impossible to know your team’s strategy due to the massive amounts of customization they painstakingly added to this game.

And quickly made rubbish by insisting upon ‘only’ conquest mode.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

(edited by aydenunited.5729)

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

All of the above mate, solid post.

in PvP

Posted by: Fourth.1567

Fourth.1567

That is how I feel about the current meta, way too much of a focus on where you send people. Seems like more of a dance of creating 2v1s than actually playing the game. Honestly the current meta makes me miss the AoE meta. At least that way there were even fights that were seen through to the end. Uneven fights are probably the least fun thing imaginable with the games current pacing and the downstate.

Gw2 is all about the combat. That is its strong point. Dominion is a hash of map control and combat but ultimately fails at both compared to the alternatives.

in PvP

Posted by: Empiren.6401

Empiren.6401

I’m not a fan of this game mode to begin with. Thats the ONLY spvp game variant?

I mean there is just so many different ones out there, how about CTF? TDM? Idk, it would be great if we got something else.

in PvP

Posted by: Phantaram.1265

Phantaram.1265

That is how I feel about the current meta, way too much of a focus on where you send people. Seems like more of a dance of creating 2v1s than actually playing the game. Honestly the current meta makes me miss the AoE meta. At least that way there were even fights that were seen through to the end. Uneven fights are probably the least fun thing imaginable with the games current pacing and the downstate.

Gw2 is all about the combat. That is its strong point. Dominion is a hash of map control and combat but ultimately fails at both compared to the alternatives.

Fourth you’ve been out of the game for a while I don’t think you have a feel for the current meta, sorry. In the current meta you’d actually rather be the 1(cantrip ele) in the 2v1 rather than the 2.

When cantrip eles aren’t able to do what they currently do, conquest will be an amazing game type. I still think it is.

in PvP

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

So true. I really can’t understand how they figured the game modes that worked so well in GW1 would be unusable in GW2 and the only viable game mode would be one that I virtually never hear anything good about. I just want to fight players; I don’t know why that’s so hard for Anet to accommodate.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in PvP

Fourth.1567

Fourth you’ve been out of the game for a while I don’t think you have a feel for the current meta, sorry. In the current meta you’d actually rather be the 1(cantrip ele) in the 2v1 rather than the 2.

When cantrip eles aren’t able to do what they currently do, conquest will be an amazing game type. I still think it is.

The meta really hasn’t changed much since we stopped playing. Those bunkers allow the freedom to create uneven fights around the rest of the map because you have someone able to hold against uneven numbers. With their high mobility there is some insurance you can force a fight around the bunker. Same as a staff ele when you could swap to dagger for ride the lightning between points. Its partially the cause of the problem but not the exact point I was getting at. It is definitely the bunkers that create the dance of uneven fights which hurts what is happening in the rest of the map.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Been playing for over 800 hours or so, and I still feel this is the best action-oriented PvP engine I’ve ever played. I still defend Anet to this day over their mechanics, and I honestly only still play the game due to their artful detail in characters and environments and the game engine.

So… you create this massive undertaking, 5+ years in the making, produce (arguably) one of the best PvP engines around and then… make your ‘elite’ PvP about point control only? I just don’t get it anymore. Countless builds that are viable… at least in a 1v1 or 2v2 duel/arena type scenario, but in conquest? Maybe one or two. Ele’s are forced into incredibly powerful bunker builds because it’s the only build they can use at top level, guardians are fantasticly offensive but still have to go bunker to get full use out of their ability to hold a point, whereas 2v2 and 3v3 arena type scenarios would unlock COUNTLESS PvP potential, when you consider neat little effects added in by Sigils and Runes, effects which become nearly pointless in tPvP. Want to steal health and turn into mist at low health with the Vampire Runes?

Too bad, you need to hold a point, take a point, or get to a point quickly. And that’s what the game becomes the higher up in ability you go… no classic 1v1 or 2v2 duels, because they waste time, and you have no time to waste in point control. Get there quick and overpower/outnumber, or get there quick and bunker and wait for your enemy to be overpowered/outnumbered.

This game feels like a corvette engine that they decided to put in an old chevette. Why make such a fantastic PvP engine based on skill, and then make top level PvP less about your ability to move, counter, and outfight your opponent… and more about map movement?

Just frustrating is all, and a massive missed opportunity in my opinion.

I’ll still keep playing… here and there, because it’s still a really good engine. I don’t think I’m alone in this thinking. But man… how much more awesome would it be if you could truly build your own team in a arena scenario? The customization of this game would make it impossible to know your team’s strategy due to the massive amounts of customization they painstakingly added to this game.

And quickly made rubbish by insisting upon ‘only’ conquest mode.

Totally agree with this..

OT Btw corvette’s engine is rubbish from an engineer’s point of view…. >.< Try with an F136FB

in PvP

Posted by: Sharpy.8397

Sharpy.8397

Right,

people need to understand that one of Arenanet goal with this PvP is to make it into an e-sport. The game mode is pretty good for an e-sport as it is easy to understand, tactical and very fast paced. Also most e-sports around only have 1 real game mode so I don’t see why having one game mode is a problem! Also please play the game with a team if you do not already, find some people to play with and you will see how fun and tactical this gamemode is. But yes ele at the moment is kind of ruining the game a little right now, making it far to hard to take a point and with very little skill, once this is fixed and ladders are added this game will be so sweet!

in PvP

Posted by: Empiren.6401

Empiren.6401

Right,

people need to understand that one of Arenanet goal with this PvP is to make it into an e-sport. The game mode is pretty good for an e-sport as it is easy to understand, tactical and very fast paced. Also most e-sports around only have 1 real game mode so I don’t see why having one game mode is a problem! Also please play the game with a team if you do not already, find some people to play with and you will see how fun and tactical this gamemode is. But yes ele at the moment is kind of ruining the game a little right now, making it far to hard to take a point and with very little skill, once this is fixed and ladders are added this game will be so sweet!

Because every other game that IS an esport does have other game modes in variation at the very least.

Seriously, none of the esport games have just ONE game mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Right,

Because every other game that IS an esport does have other game modes in variation at the very least.

Never heard of counter-strike?

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Ezrael.6859

Ezrael.6859

Absolutely this, I love this game. The mechanics it’s built upon, the removal of the trinity, self healing, dodging, combo fields etc.

But the conquest only map type is becoming quite a bore.

DIfferent game types would be a massive blast of fresh air and really help to add to the replayability of the game and allow different tactics and builds for different scenarios.

Different game types would yield different comps and strats, but even just different numbers would do the same. I’d be interested to see what 3v3 or 2v2 on the current maps would be like for example.

I like playing a DPS Guardian, it’s fun to play and in my setup it has condition removal for the team, lot’s of CC, burst, boons for the team and good survival. But as soon as you go 5v5 it’s pointless as a spec in the current format and as a Guardian I’m forced into a Cleric’s amulet generic bunker spec with most points in Honour and Virtues because a team just wants me to sit on a point, CC and cleanse conditions in a team fight.

In 2v2 or 3v3 and in different gametypes there would be so many more viable specs for ALL professions.

We really need more gametypes and the possibility for 2v2 / 3v3 / 4v4.

(edited by Ezrael.6859)

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

I’m not the biggest fan of Conquest either, but we have to hand it to ANet, that they’ve made the best Conquest-Mode I’ve ever seen in any game and it has great Potential to easily be made into a solid Game-Mode by simply making secondary Objectives more important.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

+1, totally agree the one game mode becomes boring and limiting after a while.

in PvP

Posted by: Med.6150

Med.6150

As much as those in favor may believe conquest is a great game mode, I just can’t wrap my head around a PvP game not being about killing people and prevailing in combat first and everything else afterwards.

If for whatever reason they decided to put in a game mode that rewarded people for killing their opponents and working out strategies and synergies to accomplish that rather than around free-capping nodes, stalling and “zerging” or carrying an orb and killing NPCs to win a match, the current conquest game mode would completely die off in a matter of days.

Each and every “serious” PvP player spends the majority of their time min-maxing stats, finding synergies in their build and smart use of their combat abilities, yet here we are in GW2 where that is much less important than knowing when to run where to (wonder if we’ll ever see people practice running in the mist by creatively pressing wasd some day!).

Couple that with the fact that even combat itself is ultimately more about managing down states than anything else combat related and it becomes more than obvious as to why the PvP is less attractive than we’d like.

This is why I am personally unhappy with the current situation. It’s not about being impatient and that features are released too slow, it’s about how the direction of the game is not being altered (it’s not even a consideration actually). There’s a fundamental problem keeping this game from taking off and no matter what feature they release, as long as they keep building on that foundation, nothing is going to change.

(edited by Med.6150)

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

Other game modes don’t have to be the competitive game mode. Variety is king above all. Ultimately, they should release TDM among others and let the community decide what is the premier game mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Ominous.8702

Ominous.8702

I cannot express how much I agree with literally EVERYTHING the OP said. I’ve been too lazy to actually make a post about it, but god kitten you actually took the words right out of my mouth. +1 and let’s hope ANet wakes up and listens.

in PvP

Posted by: mongolianmisfit.8350

mongolianmisfit.8350

Yep. I only play for the gameplay and fun combat mechanics. Ele d/d is a perfect playstlye for me (and ironic enough, perfect for the only game mode they have). But I wish TDM were feasible. I mean instead of worrying about points, it would inspire actual team play..team support, opening, spike set ups, focus fire, cordination, it would allow players to focus on more in depth mechanics. Unfortunately the lack of balance in most classes would make TDM a mess. Other game modes could also inspire other builds, or should for that matter, instead of pigeon holeing classes.

(edited by mongolianmisfit.8350)

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

Right,

Counter-strike modes: de – plant-defuse the bomb in A or B, this is a mode that is played competitively, cs – rescue the hostages from t spawn and bring to ct spawn, dm – played either with a team or ffa type, not talking about different modes all together where shooting is not the main aspect of the game: hns, surf, jail, etc. Also even de is played by different rules, or “modes” mr12, mr15. So have you heard of counter-strike?

Ontopic – I agree with everything OP said, since this game is so lacking in variety it is insane that they think this is the way to go to create an esport. Esport is not created by developers it is created by the players, since there needs to be an interest not only to play, but to watch and watching a dude stand in one spot for entire map isn’t as interesting as they probably think…

in PvP

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Please hear us out, Arena Net. I love MMO PvP and the GW2 combat is really great, but add stuff like Capture the flag so that we can see some Actual PvP combat!

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Right,

Counter-strike modes: de – plant-defuse the bomb in A or B, this is a mode that is played competitively, cs – rescue the hostages from t spawn and bring to ct spawn, dm – played either with a team or ffa type, not talking about different modes all together where shooting is not the main aspect of the game: hns, surf, jail, etc. Also even de is played by different rules, or “modes” mr12, mr15. So have you heard of counter-strike?

Ontopic – I agree with everything OP said, since this game is so lacking in variety it is insane that they think this is the way to go to create an esport. Esport is not created by developers it is created by the players, since there needs to be an interest not only to play, but to watch and watching a dude stand in one spot for entire map isn’t as interesting as they probably think…

Counter-Strike on the E-Sport Level only allow playing bomb-planting. Hostage, surfing and other stuff is played by casuals (compare it to hotjoin) and is not in E-Sports. Please inform youself before posting. Thanks

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

The whole concept of death match was thrown out the window, because
1) Most squishies without solid escape skills (in the form of jumps or teleports), bunkerish capabilities or/and stealth mechanics would simply blow up as soon as focused, and the same applies to most melee classes, bar for guardians.

2) Lack of a dedicated heal class to prevent the above

3) The above points resulting in hyperdefensive builds/setups with a damage output just enough to pull off a kill eventually, or ending relatively fast in a massive aoe/pet ball of doom

4) Anet realized from their GW 1 lesson that balancing for multiple game modes is a pain the meow, and therefore decided to keep things as simple as possible in that regard.

5) Changing Anet’s mind on something is like fighting the windmills.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

Right,

Counter-Strike on the E-Sport Level only allow playing bomb-planting. Hostage, surfing and other stuff is played by casuals (compare it to hotjoin) and is not in E-Sports. Please inform youself before posting. Thanks

He was asking for more game modes, didnt say they all had to be competitive. arguement then was that all games that are e-sport support other game types.

Then you ignorantly suggest counter strike, and you got served….

It has plant the bomb, rescue the hostages, demolition and arms race. It does not just have one game mode…. sorry.

in PvP

Zinwrath.2049

The whole concept of death match was thrown out the window, because
1) Most squishies without solid escape skills (in the form of jumps or teleports), bunkerish capabilities or/and stealth mechanics would simply blow up as soon as focused, and the same applies to most melee classes, bar for guardians.

2) Lack of a dedicated heal class to prevent the above

3) The above points resulting in hyperdefensive builds/setups with a damage output just enough to pull off a kill eventually, or ending relatively fast in a massive aoe/pet ball of doom

4) Anet realized from their GW 1 lesson that balancing for multiple game modes is a pain the meow, and therefore decided to keep things as simple as possible in that regard.

5) Changing Anet’s mind on something is like fighting the windmills.

I think what the scary reality is. Is that when/if they do put in another game mode that pleases the mass majority…even if it doesnt show your name on the leader board at first, people will all flock to it and for the most part abandon conquest.

I think its a little crazy that they put so many resources and hours into building lots of maps for the game mode THEY want, instead of creating and supporting the game modes that players want. Thats my only real beef with things. Even the state of the game poll taken earlier showed an enormious amount of people want a different game mode. Conquest works a little better in shooters because people all die super fast, there isnt a true bunker usually. (and i’m not even a fan of most shooters that support this mode or any king of the hill mode). Its been hinted that they’ve been testing other game modes internally, and we’ve seen some pretty good mini games over the holidays. i think just tossing one of those other game type ideas into the mix and seeing how people respond would be a smart decision at this point in time. If its a huge success…then they know where to go next.

in PvP

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

What Zinwrath said! Doesn’t mean those new modes shold be ultra balanced and competitive. Give us just something fun to do in PvP… O_ô

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

But that’d in essence mean Anet would have to admit they made a major miscalculation.

6) Anet do not admit mistakes (of such calibre), at least not publicly.

But they might implement something under a different pretext.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Read the whole thread before randomly throwing answers in. Sharpy said the most e-sport games are based on one mode that is played on e-sport plattforms. Empiren ansered then:

Quote: "Because every other game that IS an esport does have other game modes in variation at the very least.

Seriously, none of the esport games have just ONE game mode." quote end

To support Sharpys comment I said Counter-Strike is based on one mode FOR E-SPORTS and that is bomb-planting (wheter hostage-safe nor surfing etc.). If you had any clue about CS on E-Sports then you wouldn’t bring such a comment.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Recently.1043

Recently.1043

Well the reason there isn’t say 2v2 or 3v3 death match arenas is pretty simple: lack of dedicated healer/support. Even if you go full support guardian, you can’t continue healing for that long.

Most fights in a 2v2 or 3v3 death match arena would probably end in less than 2 minutes. Same kitten happens in WoW arena for example. In 2s if you don’t take a healer, you have to win basically on your 1st or 2nd burst attempt; otherwise you insta-lose. And anything more than 2’s and you have to have a healer. Same logic applies, except there isn’t the option to bring a healer into your group in gw2; everyone is supposed to be self sufficient.

GW2 arena would just be a bunch of glass cannon burst dps builds facing off, seeing who has the fast reaction time (and it would be alot of thief teams, lets be honest)

Maybe if they add the monk class back in and accept that the trinity is needed, they would be able to add more pvp game modes as well.

Otherwise Team death match arenas would need to be like…. best of 5 or something, just to make it feel long enough.

Call me when this game gets fixed…. if it ever does….

in PvP

Zinwrath.2049

Read the whole thread before randomly throwing answers in. Sharpy said the most e-sport games are based on one mode that is played on e-sport plattforms. Empiren ansered then:

Quote: "Because every other game that IS an esport does have other game modes in variation at the very least.

Seriously, none of the esport games have just ONE game mode." quote end

To support Sharpys comment I said Counter-Strike is based on one mode FOR E-SPORTS and that is bomb-planting (wheter hostage-safe nor surfing etc.). If you had any clue about CS on E-Sports then you wouldn’t bring such a comment.

Maybe its cause your pride is hurt i dunno. But you do realize your own quote just proves your responce was incorrect. He said “none of the esport games have just ONE game mode” He did not say that other mode had to be competitive or an e-sport. And your responce was simply “never heard of counter strike?” it wasnt untill you got served that you tried to justify it with your last quote.

And to make things worst you compare demolition, hostage, gun race to hotjoin. Hotjoin is STILL conquest. You can even hotjoin as 5v5 conquest. It is the SAME game mode.

he is asking for OTHER game mode alternatives. Everyone else got it except you.

in PvP

Zinwrath.2049

Well the reason there isn’t say 2v2 or 3v3 death match arenas is pretty simple: lack of dedicated healer/support. Even if you go full support guardian, you can’t continue healing for that long.

Most fights in a 2v2 or 3v3 death match arena would probably end in less than 2 minutes. Same kitten happens in WoW arena for example. In 2s if you don’t take a healer, you have to win basically on your 1st or 2nd burst attempt; otherwise you insta-lose. And anything more than 2’s and you have to have a healer. Same logic applies, except there isn’t the option to bring a healer into your group in gw2; everyone is supposed to be self sufficient.

GW2 arena would just be a bunch of glass cannon burst dps builds facing off, seeing who has the fast reaction time (and it would be alot of thief teams, lets be honest)

Maybe if they add the monk class back in and accept that the trinity is needed, they would be able to add more pvp game modes as well.

Otherwise Team death match arenas would need to be like…. best of 5 or something, just to make it feel long enough.

I think the downed state was supposed to help with it. But as they mentioned in the interview. Most people would just run in and blow their elites then the fight would be over rather fast. I imagine 3 impossible to kill players all taking turns rezzing each other would become the meta pretty fast, as mobility might not be as important in an arena.

in PvP

Posted by: Med.6150

Med.6150

I understand that some people think that TDM wouldn’t work based on how low TTK can be in this game. However, do you realize that we have been playing conquest mode for 7 months and there are huge imbalances in terms of mobility present as well?

You can very well release a new game mode and take care of the issues then. At least you’d then have a solid basis for interesting PvP. It’s not like they couldn’t increase TTK in order to accomodate for it, just like they have been trying to make things work for conquest.

in PvP

Phadde.7362

I don’t agree. Healers isn’t something that would benefit an Arena format in an MMO, it gets even harder to balance.

About the Glass Cannon-issue: If they actually didn’t manage to balance it, would it really be that much of a problem? A lot of classes have “Panic Buttons” such as Mist form, Endure Pain etc. Glass Cannons in this game is all about the element of surprise. If you come prepared, it won’t be an issue.

Cred to Latinkuro

in PvP

Phadde.7362

Conquest doesn’t provokes much actual “Player vs Player”-action, it’s rather just a matter of run around and take points. If you’re outnumbered, or it just isn’t time efficient, get out of there and try to capture another point.
Don’t get me wrong – it isn’t supposed to be all out deathmatch, but the Conquest game mode just makes it to be all about the objectives, making the PvP more of a lesser side effect. Conquest would be great. . . in a rotation of game modes.
Look at another classic game mode: Capture the Flag. One person becomes the center of everyone’s attention. The other team does everything to kill whoever is carrying the flag at the time while the other team protects him – by killing the others and to a lesser extent gives him direct support.
That’s a game mode that provokes some more intense PvP action and it still allows for some good team coordination. Of course, this is just an example and there’s a lot of possible game modes that could be created with a very similar atmosphere!

Cred to Latinkuro

in PvP

Posted by: Jacobin.8509

Jacobin.8509

Agree with OP.

The combat engine is great and it is the main reason why people are still following the game’s development and are hopeful that changes will happen.

Conquest mode is lame at this point.

We already know about an alternate gamemode that works and isn’t TDM. Its called GvG and ArenaNet INVENTED it.

2 basses, win by killing the enemy Guild lord. It was like the MMO version of a MOBA game.

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

1) Organize an event on the forums
2) Gather 10 ppl
3) Fill up a 10-man hot join server
4) Try a 5v5 arena or 3v3
or 5) Try to replicate a GvG event , without capping the nodes on the <<Legacy of the Foefire>> , by killing the lord > auto win (or gather 16 ppl , do a 6v6 and the other 4 will be the cameraman-nutrilizers of accidentaly captured nodes)
6) Show the results here on the forums with a youtube video
7) Try to promote these events more often (maybe the compatitve players will come back to try these) (also link ur witch channel)
8) More support from the community > change faster he mind of the Devs

Pufff ….

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

in PvP

Posted by: mbh.8301

mbh.8301

We already know about an alternate gamemode that works and isn’t TDM. Its called GvG and ArenaNet INVENTED it.

And how exactly would you transition gvg into gw2? All I can see is diminishing the game mode.

Gw1:
-make hard decisions about what skills to bring
-who brings heal skills for the team?
-who brings support skills?
-who brings resurrection skills? (Since death put you on a 2 minute timer)
-who runs flags? what skills do they bring for running flags?
-who defends base against a particular character?
-who responds when there’s multiple attackers in your base? Defensive response? Offensive?
-can your team run split tactics or do you have to fight honorable 8v8?
-can your team fight honorable 8v8 or do you have to run split tactics?
-running a team spike build? What kind of spike? Physical? Magic?
-running a team pressure build? What type of pressure? Hexes? Conditions? Edenial?
-running a cheesy build? What kind of cheese? Kappa spike? Bspike? SFway? Lord all in?
-what map are you running for your build?
-how do you change your build to be more flexible on many maps?

Gw2:
There isn’t the variety of skill options or responses, and as such most builds feel the same. You have a bunch of relatively self sustaining characters fighting a bunch of other relatively self sustaining characters. None of those characters can heal, so the only response option is offensive while also not changing the dynamic of the rest of your team. In gw1 if you respond offensively to someone in your base, that means your main team has less damage and has to play defensively. If you respond defensively then that means you have less support and you need to be killing stuff. That dynamic is gone.

The only capacity in which gw2 needs gvg is nominally.

[quote=1567239;Lexie.5894:] My PVP experience is very consistent. I run around,
I fight people, sometimes they kill me, sometimes I kill them. Fun is had by all. [/quote]

in PvP

Posted by: mongolianmisfit.8350

mongolianmisfit.8350

Aside from inserting a more healing/support centric class into the game, the only other option is overhauling traits, utilities, and scaling in regards to healing. They would have to either tone down or adjust CC on other classes as well. HP pools and scaling for toughness and vitality concerning raw damage and condition damage would also need a looking into. Idk, I think they could do it, and I would prefer it this way, but since their philosophy of play revolves around the lack of trinity, I doubt we will see anything but point capture based maps any time soon.

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

I don’t see conquest as being the problem. I trust the Devs when they say they tried all the various game formats and found them all to be lacking compared to conquest. If they didn’t think they were as fun to play then there’s no reason to think any of us will find the other game formats to be any more fun than the Devs did.

What we do need IMO is more stuff to do to avoid PvP getting stale. We need more than a single map and a single queue available on a weekly basis. We do need the 3 round tourneys to be regular events. We do need leader boards. We do need spectator mode. We do need custom servers. We do need dueling in the HoM.

Right now more game modes would likely just create more problems and deviate from getting the core game solidified.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in PvP

Posted by: Baldric.6781

Baldric.6781

Funny thing is they said they tried other gamemodes, and the best was conquest, in other gamemodes teams just tried to avoid engaging and were way boring. I can see that with the amazing stealth, burst mechanics and no healer/suport for you of this game.
Your wish may come true, and maybe you wouldn’t like it, not a bit.

in PvP

Posted by: Quaker.1385

Quaker.1385

It’s quite the blasphemy to even report the name of counter-strike in gw2 forums.
Counter-strike is not even a game.It’s art.

in PvP

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Agree with TC and the funny part is, anet knows no one like their game mode but they’re still pushing it as their main pvp mode. So stupid…

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in PvP

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

I think the whole “we tried deathmatch and it just wasn’t fun” thing is bullkitten. I switch between wvw and spvp. When I’m doing wvw, all I do is roam and look for fights. No one stands around not wanting to fight. People love to fight, and the fights are exciting and intense. If they tried an arena type mode and it didn’t work, there was something wrong with their game mode, not the actual gameplay.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

Seriously? everytime I went in WvW people were always running away unless they were at least 3vs1…

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

in PvP

Fourth.1567

The problem seems to be that they didn’t have a game mode in mind when they designed classes. Its seems like they first designed classes and then picked a gamemode that best matched that iteration of class design. Which has left us with conquest.

Really other game modes would have worked if classes were initially designed around those game modes. That way they won’t get pigeonholed into a specific game mode, especially one that doesn’t focus on combat enough.

in PvP

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

Just have fun with what they have, and hope they’ll add to it in the future. Yep.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: sim.8903

sim.8903

Right,

CS does not have one game mode. CS has defuse and hostage rescue. That’s two.

I’m not sure why people keep repeating the line that “Anet is creating an e-sport” — Really? What have they done for spvp since launch? It’s March already. Time to give up this game and hope for a better future (ESO and CU)

in PvP

Posted by: Nilvio.7941

Nilvio.7941

The problem seems to be that they didn’t have a game mode in mind when they designed classes. Its seems like they first designed classes and then picked a gamemode that best matched that iteration of class design. Which has left us with conquest.

Really other game modes would have worked if classes were initially designed around those game modes. That way they won’t get pigeonholed into a specific game mode, especially one that doesn’t focus on combat enough.

Classes were designed for PvE first, Then they just picked up best pvp mode for those classes.

English is not my native language :)
RETIRED MESMER YO!

in PvP

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

I don’t hate the conquest style. I see that it has strategy and a good amount of tactics.

But I do miss WoW’s arenas and brutal fights to the death.

And I don’t agree with the person who says that most matches would be over in 1-2 minutes. Maybe at lower levels but I can foresee a lot of scenarios where 2v2s could take forever to down anyone, especially if there are areas where you can LoS.

in PvP

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

Another semi excuse making post. The conquest style is not why the game is unpopular. Its lack of meaningful progress/rewards, any way to distinguish yourself from other players via a meaningful rank system, and some very unfun game mechanics such as stealth and pet spam that are driving people away.

in PvP

Posted by: sim.8903

sim.8903

Exactly. It baffles my mind that the devs thought this would become an e-sport. So much promise, but it’s all slipping away.