What about nerfing turrets ?

in PvP

Posted by: Boggs.6482

Boggs.6482

Take out the rocket turret, then take out the engi. It’s really that simple. If you’re pure melee and can’t get to the rocket turret, move to another point or wait till you have a friendly near that can focus it.

in PvP

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

How exactly do you counter a turret Engie? Besides not fighting them, like most Engies suggest?

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

How exactly do you counter a turret Engie? Besides not fighting them, like most Engies suggest?

Kill the only turret that really needs to die. Range them so they feel uncomfortable leaving point, or when they do, out range even their turrets.

Certain builds can handle the turrets anyways so just kill the main one and CC or use a lot of condies on the engi, two things engies cant handle very well as turret builds.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

Why are people even trying to kill the thumper turret? This turret has a radius of 240, this does not even cover the point. If the turret is at the center of the point just stay at the edge of the point and fight the turret engi. I keep seeing rangers go after the thumper turret which is pointless when they do best for ranged damage. Fighting turret engi’s is really a l2p issue. I suggest trying to play turret engi and learn how to counter it that way. This is the best way to learn how to counter any build you are having trouble with.

If you play another class you may notice some abilities require you to move from a single spot or even follow the target at close proximity! It will blow your mind!

in PvP

Posted by: mbh.8301

mbh.8301

I explained above why it makes no sense – having them still there already makes the engineer weaker, and the turrets less efficient in their purpose of protecting the area (as the engineer can’t use overcharges properly if he doesn’t know what’s going on).

It’s hilarious that everyone who says ltp about turret engis can also only fathom being played by idiots. You can use things like teamwork or minimaps in order to make decisions about using your overcharges. You can also just keep a rocket turret somewhere in order to let your ally have a much easier time doing 1v1s. Being down 1 turret makes you weaker, but the point was also that you would greatly help two places on the map.

To be honest, I wonder if having a trait for reduced cooldown on picked up turrets would be enough to make people happy. I don’t think the turret engi should be punished for wanting to move around, and I also don’t know what I would even choose as a leash range.

[quote=1567239;Lexie.5894:] My PVP experience is very consistent. I run around,
I fight people, sometimes they kill me, sometimes I kill them. Fun is had by all. [/quote]

in PvP

Posted by: Kuzuryu.7359

Kuzuryu.7359

Yes the engi is forced to stay put if he wants to be effective at what he’s built for. That’s why I am saying it is better for the turrets to despawn and trigger a moderate cooldown when the engi moves out of leash range.
If he decided to move and set up shops somewhere else, he should be penalized with moderate amount of cooldown for his utilities. And if he choose to jump into a fight without his utility skills off cooldown, that’s his problem.
I would love to start every fight with basilisk venom ready, but that’s not gonna happen. We all have to compromise a bit. If an engi decides not to guard a point anymore and decide to switch to a different cap point or dies, the turrets despawn and have to wait for them to come off cooldown. The cooldown can be adjusted so that it won’t be too punishing, but just enough to limited the deploybility of the turrets

in PvP

Posted by: someone.7485

someone.7485

If you play another class you may notice some abilities require you to move from a single spot or even follow the target at close proximity! It will blow your mind!

There are melee builds in this game, wow mind blown! Sorry about trying to be helpful, disregard my post!

I called out the rangers for doing this the most. Every build has some sort of ranged skill that you can start attacking the engi with. I am suggesting trying not to get in range of the thumper if you can help it. It has high health, but not much range. It is some of the easier damage to avoid. If you do try to take it out, the engi will cause you a significant amount of pain with jump shot and blunderbuss, then they will just knock you away and net you. Going after the thumper is not really worth it.

in PvP

someone.7485

i see good turret engis jumping off ledges and placing their turrets floating up in the sky so they can’t even be attacked by melee.

i dont see how floating turrets can be intended by design.

I see nothing wrong with this, take no notice of the floating turret in the sky. It is your friend and will do you no harm….probably.

in PvP

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

Apparently having a civil discussion about Turret Engineers is not allowed. All we get is the usual “L2P” responses from the Engi players. Sometimes I wonder how the GW2 community was voted the nicest? It feels the same as any other mmorpg.

Just a reminder to people that with balances, it doesn’t always have to be negatives. Toning down one aspect could lead to another aspect to be boosted to compensate. We’re not even dwelling onto the power level. Simply trying to make the build more interactive than reactive, isn’t that the point of the game?

its not engineer fault you play berserker and die due to not having defenses or clearing out said turrets

By your logic,
Power builds: Too squishy to take out the Turrets due to lack of defenses.
Condition builds: Unable to damage the turrets at all.
Support/Bunker builds: Too low damage to take out the turrets quickly.

Edit: More power to the Cele meta, they can do all of the above =o

Yeah it’s super obvious what class/build people play just from their replies.

I want turrets to deal less(zero) damage but have more utility and survivability.

in PvP

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

It’s hilarious that everyone who says ltp about turret engis can also only fathom being played by idiots. You can use things like teamwork or minimaps in order to make decisions about using your overcharges. You can also just keep a rocket turret somewhere in order to let your ally have a much easier time doing 1v1s. Being down 1 turret makes you weaker, but the point was also that you would greatly help two places on the map.

Unless you use something like teamspeak and an ally is actively telling you the situation, you aren’t supposed to know exactly what’s going on if you aren’t there- the game doesn’t give you those informations, turrets have no camera attached.
And a clear idea of the situation is necessary when the overcharges are involved, else you will end up wasting them (especially the ones with a low range).
And that’s perfectly fine – the utilities aren’t completely wasted, they just end up working in a suboptimal way.

To be honest, I wonder if having a trait for reduced cooldown on picked up turrets would be enough to make people happy. I don’t think the turret engi should be punished for wanting to move around, and I also don’t know what I would even choose as a leash range.

Doubt that’s a good idea – due to healing turret. That would likely end up too strong.
There are already a ton of traits related to turrets, anyway, and multiple grandmaster ones too. I don’t think that we need even more turret traits.

Yes the engi is forced to stay put if he wants to be effective at what he’s built for. That’s why I am saying it is better for the turrets to despawn and trigger a moderate cooldown when the engi moves out of leash range.
If he decided to move and set up shops somewhere else, he should be penalized with moderate amount of cooldown for his utilities. And if he choose to jump into a fight without his utility skills off cooldown, that’s his problem.

And why exactly should he be penalized further for doing so? He’s already penalized – the active skills won’t work as well if you haven’t got a clear idea of what’s going on. And whatever you are going, you won’t have your turrets to help you. Since you’ve purposefully left them behind. If the engineer wanted to pick up them manually, he could have done so (sure, spending some time in doing so, assuming he can afford to do it…and if he couldn’t and really needed them, well, better luck next time).

I would love to start every fight with basilisk venom ready, but that’s not gonna happen. We all have to compromise a bit. If an engi decides not to guard a point anymore and decide to switch to a different cap point or dies, the turrets despawn and have to wait for them to come off cooldown. The cooldown can be adjusted so that it won’t be too punishing, but just enough to limited the deploybility of the turrets

That’s not a compromise, that’s changing completely how they work. Your basilisk venom doesn’t go on cooldown by itself – that is what you propose to do with turrets.
Leaving the turrets and going somewhere else is a choice, and they already pay for it with lesser efficiency (where they left the turrets) and having their utilities already in use (wherever they are). If they wanted to relocate, they could just have detonated or picked the turrets to start with. Those are all choices they can take, and they already have consequences.
You would just limit such a build further. And without any good reason to do so.

in PvP

Posted by: Blair.3796

Blair.3796

Yes, fighting turrets is a l2p issue. Saying so isn’t mean, it’s fact. There is nothing about turrets that need a nerf because they’re not at all hard to deal with. On the other hand, they likewise do not need a buff because they’re still an effective way of turning team fights. Or soloing the less experienced players.

It’s been said over and over, but just focus the rocket and then range the engi and you’re fine. If your build has zero ranged combat built in, then burst the rocket and then avoid the thumper. Not that hard.

Keep in mind that most turret engis are not yet super experienced with the class. That’s not to say that there aren’t any really good turret engis, but that rather it’s easy to use turret ai to partially compensate for lack of experience. If the turrets (or just the rocket) die, then it comes purely down to a contest of skill between two players, a contest that the other player usually has a good chance of winning.

And yes, sometimes very good engis still play turrets just for fun, and their skill level can make up for the inherent disadvantages of using turrets. But the turret ai has no skill, and there’s still nothing stopping anyone from quickly bursting down the rocket turret or ranging down, well, everything. And skill level aside, a turret engi with no turrets is not in a good position.

And, you know, you can always ignore that point. If you’re a pure condi melee build and are truly incapable (*cough) of winning those fights, then go somewhere else. There are two more points that you can capture and hold for your team, and basically any game can be won by focussing only two points. Ignore the turret engi. If he goes to a different point, go back and take the first one.

So, the strategies are:

1. Range the engi. Giggle uncontrollably when he can’t do anything to you.

2. Range the turrets, the smash the engi.

3. Burst the rocket, then melee the engi.

4. Leave.

If you are incapable of managing with any of these, then yes, this is truly a l2p issue.

in PvP

Posted by: fernandinajazz.4068

fernandinajazz.4068

I play turret engi against some of the best teams of NA (WTS – Team: Hero Battle Tactics) and I wanted to share some insight first on how to beat Turret Engineers and then about how to play Turret Engineers and finally some changes that I’d like to see to my favorite build.

First off, “How to beat a Turret Engineer”

• If it is the standard 3 Turret Engineer in a 1 v 1 fight, target and take out the rocket turret. Rocket Turret is the main DPS for Turret Engineer and without it all the Engineer has is CC (from rifle 4 and thumper).
  • Conditions, The hardest fight for Turret Engineers is against Condi Opponents. Engineers in general only have one condi clear on heal every 15 seconds. So, Condi Ranger, Necro, Engi, even Condi Warrior can beat a turret engineer.
  • Stability/Out-sustain, Warriors and d/d Eles have a long upkeep of stab and a lot of sustain. In a drawn out fight against a Warrior and Ele a Turret Engineer should not be able to win (especially if their Rocket Turret is gone). They may decap the point but without anymore reinforcement, they will get beaten in a battle of sustain.
  • DPS, Thieves, Power Rangers, Medi Guards, Zerk Staff Eles, etc. DPS is the best thing against Turret Engineer. They have limited mobility and they have very few ways to mitigate damage/lessen the damage from zerk classes. Hit them hard enough to proc their Elixer S and its over
  • Interrupts/CC, a Turret Engi’s turrets have a 1/4 second cast time. This includes Healing Turret. If you interrupt the engi as they try to place turrets then the placement goes on a few second cooldown. This is down especially well with d/p thieves because of their steal and 4 on pistol. I’ve seen mesmers also interrupt turrets so it is possible for them too.
  • Keep them off point, If you see a turret engi running to point then engage them before they set up shop. Most of the turret engi’s kitten nal comes from bunkering on point. (So if they get to point with Elixer S proc, they will be quick to die
  • Rifle 4 fails to cast if players are to close to the turret engi or if the opponent walks through the Turret engi. So if you are a melee class if you keep walking through the turret engi they will cast rifle 4, it’ll miss and then go on cooldown. Wasting their skill.

(Continued)

Jazzy Turrets [SoF] – Engineer

in PvP

fernandinajazz.4068

Next, “How to Play Turret Engi”
The skill floor for Turret Engis is low. Anyone can pick it up and play it “well.” The skill ceiling is high.

• Kiting is the Turret Engi’s strongest skill. Use the Terrain around you, most turret engis fight on point. There is no reason to just stand on point and fight. When faced with a 2 v 1 or X v 1 situation use the terrain on point to “KITE.”
  • Combo CC’s. Have a plan of how you are going to chain your CC’s together. Thumper -> Rocket -> Rifle 4 -> Rifle 2 -> Healing Turret blast will guarantee a decap. (if the opponent doesn’t have any stab or condi cleanse
  • Comb Heals. Rifle 5 into any water field F1 Healing mist or Healing Turret water field gives a 1-2k heal. Rifle 5 should almost always be comboed into these fields to keep your health up. (Unless you are DPSing people down) Also, Rumble (F4 skill of Thumper) into any water fields creates a healing blast.
  • Boon Removal Mine: Have trouble against D/D eles? Bring mine, the Fskill and mine both remove boons when it hits an enemy. Cele D/D eles require might to deal damage and beat turret engis in fights. If you remove their might they are easy picking in fights.
  • Rifle 4 removes immobilize. Instead of wasting your heal to remove immob, use rifle 4!! save that condi removal for something more important like burning or poison.

These are just a few of the things I feel turret engis need to improve upon to perform better. There is a lot more to learn. Trust me, NONE of you havet even scratched the surface of Turret Engi play.

Now on the Balance Turret Engi Topic

• Reduce the Damage from turrets, but decrease the cooldown on actives. (This would create more active play with the Turret Engineer. People complain that the AI carries turret engis, so make the turret engis more responsible for the AI).
  • Reduce the Knockback distance on Thumper. If its going to be AOE knockback, then it probably shouldn’t throw players so far. (This is the same reason Accelerated Packed Turrets got nerfed)
  • Reduce the Heal on Turret Repair trait (either reduce the healing it does or reduce the interval of time for each heal) This will give players more incentive to target the turrets and take them out. They will be less discouraged watching the turret out heal their damage to it.
  • Move traits around, we’ve been pushed out of the elixers because we have to bring more sustain in that trait line. It would be interesting to have the elixer traits moved so that the Turret Engi could bring more variation into the game.
  • Improve our Elites, EVERYONE and their mom wishes they could bring Supply Crate. I’d like to see some love to mortar, Increase the rate of fire or damage it does. Anything to have some variation in the game.

These are a few things about Turret Engis. They are difficult to play against for newer players. They are strong in high tier play when used correctly.

So to those Turret Engineers out there I wish you the best of luck!! Be prepared for some SALT, but keep at it!!

TL;DR: No one has even scratched the Skill Ceiling of Turret Engis, Condi and Stab > Turret Engi, and Less Salt more Creativity in game

~Jazzy Turrets (Best Turret Engi GW2)

in PvP

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

There are melee builds in this game, wow mind blown! Sorry about trying to be helpful, disregard my post!

I called out the rangers for doing this the most. Every build has some sort of ranged skill that you can start attacking the engi with. I am suggesting trying not to get in range of the thumper if you can help it. It has high health, but not much range. It is some of the easier damage to avoid. If you do try to take it out, the engi will cause you a significant amount of pain with jump shot and blunderbuss, then they will just knock you away and net you. Going after the thumper is not really worth it.

Welcome to Line-Of-Sight Wars! I hope you enjoy your stay in this hell hole.

-Signed Shatter Mesmer that vividly hates intelligent turret engis. Omg Intelligent turret engis in Forest of Niflhel shoots herself

PS: kitten off Jazzy, No one likes you

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

(edited by Kitta.3657)

in PvP

Shiyo.3578

Is being the best at turret eng something you should brag about?

in PvP

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Next, “How to Play Turret Engi”
The skill floor for Turret Engis is low. Anyone can pick it up and play it “well.” The skill ceiling is high.

• Kiting is the Turret Engi’s strongest skill. Use the Terrain around you, most turret engis fight on point. There is no reason to just stand on point and fight. When faced with a 2 v 1 or X v 1 situation use the terrain on point to “KITE.”
  • Combo CC’s. Have a plan of how you are going to chain your CC’s together. Thumper -> Rocket -> Rifle 4 -> Rifle 2 -> Healing Turret blast will guarantee a decap. (if the opponent doesn’t have any stab or condi cleanse
  • Comb Heals. Rifle 5 into any water field F1 Healing mist or Healing Turret water field gives a 1-2k heal. Rifle 5 should almost always be comboed into these fields to keep your health up. (Unless you are DPSing people down) Also, Rumble (F4 skill of Thumper) into any water fields creates a healing blast.
  • Boon Removal Mine: Have trouble against D/D eles? Bring mine, the Fskill and mine both remove boons when it hits an enemy. Cele D/D eles require might to deal damage and beat turret engis in fights. If you remove their might they are easy picking in fights.
  • Rifle 4 removes immobilize. Instead of wasting your heal to remove immob, use rifle 4!! save that condi removal for something more important like burning or poison.

These are just a few of the things I feel turret engis need to improve upon to perform better. There is a lot more to learn. Trust me, NONE of you havet even scratched the surface of Turret Engi play.

Now on the Balance Turret Engi Topic

• Reduce the Damage from turrets, but decrease the cooldown on actives. (This would create more active play with the Turret Engineer. People complain that the AI carries turret engis, so make the turret engis more responsible for the AI).
  • Reduce the Knockback distance on Thumper. If its going to be AOE knockback, then it probably shouldn’t throw players so far. (This is the same reason Accelerated Packed Turrets got nerfed)
  • Reduce the Heal on Turret Repair trait (either reduce the healing it does or reduce the interval of time for each heal) This will give players more incentive to target the turrets and take them out. They will be less discouraged watching the turret out heal their damage to it.
  • Move traits around, we’ve been pushed out of the elixers because we have to bring more sustain in that trait line. It would be interesting to have the elixer traits moved so that the Turret Engi could bring more variation into the game.
  • Improve our Elites, EVERYONE and their mom wishes they could bring Supply Crate. I’d like to see some love to mortar, Increase the rate of fire or damage it does. Anything to have some variation in the game.

These are a few things about Turret Engis. They are difficult to play against for newer players. They are strong in high tier play when used correctly.

So to those Turret Engineers out there I wish you the best of luck!! Be prepared for some SALT, but keep at it!!

TL;DR: No one has even scratched the Skill Ceiling of Turret Engis, Condi and Stab > Turret Engi, and Less Salt more Creativity in game

~Jazzy Turrets (Best Turret Engi GW2)

This is funny…

But NO…

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

in PvP

Posted by: Mister Stygian.2135

Mister Stygian.2135

@kitta
Turret engy just feels underwhelming if I have a GS with air/fire on it with shatter spec. It is the easiest time I have with them and I’ve stomped them out of all the forest points. East can be slightly tricky, the sloped ground leading up by the water seems to be the best approach to move in and out of LS with elevation changes to get off a beserker and spacial surges that will basically one shot the rocket and rifle turrets.

(edited by Mister Stygian.2135)

in PvP

Posted by: Josh.5839

Josh.5839

STOP IGNORING THE TURRETS

YOURE NOT GONNA KILL THE kittenBAG ENGI BEFORE THE TURRETS KILL YOU

KILL HIS MAIN SOURCE OF DPS kitten

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

This is funny…

But NO…

Player fernandinajazz.4068 [Jazzy Turrets] – pre 16 Dec
Highest rank 1

Novuake.2691
http://www.gw2score.com/PvP/historyPlayer/Novuake2691
Player not found

HOTJOIN HERO ALERT***
*HOTJOIN HERO ALERT*
*HOTJOIN HERO ALERT*

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: Wintersnight.3061

Wintersnight.3061

Yes, if you watch his matches….he’s on a different level than the typical /afkturret guy.

He makes it a viable high-level build. Just like Eura makes LB Ranger viable. IT’s the people a lot more than the abilities.

After I saw him fight, I stopped talking trash to every turret Engi I saw in Ranked. Instead, now I look to see if they are good – 90% are not.

Cindy Lou Who, Retired Ranger
Quinn Wintersnight, Guardian

in PvP

someone.7485

Thanks JazzyTurrets for posting those comments. There is one important thing about playing turret engi that you did not discuss and that is rotations. I would like to see your take on this or your teammates. For a turret engi, choosing where to be is very important due to a lack of mobility and the long cooldown on turrets.

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

Thanks JazzyTurrets for posting those comments. There is one important thing about playing turret engi that you did not discuss and that is rotations. I would like to see your take on this or your teammates. For a turret engi, choosing where to be is very important due to a lack of mobility and the long cooldown on turrets.

I spent a lot of time with him on rotations since they are extremely important. I’m sure he can elaborate but here is the general philosophy we go by:

-His build is turret decap and so he can decap any pt in ~5-15 seconds or less against any of the best players in the game. You can see our vods against Abjured, AG, and Radioactive to see he had no problem doing that.

-His build excels in 1v1 and 2v2 scenarios, so whenever possible we play a 3pt game, pressuring all 3 points.

-Due to lack of good mobility turreteers will bleed people out—we have a no stomp philosophy where we NEVER stomp anyone except in rare 1% niche circumstances.

-The last rule is that we never leave anyone at a point doing nothing. If we win mid, we never leave anyone there unless we know someone is coming around back to cap it or something like that. If the other team wants to out-number themselves for ~25 seconds running to mid and capping it we will use that number advantage elsewhere.

So that being said if Jazz is home and caps it uncontested, he immediately runs to the enemy home since side pts are always easiest to decap. It is (usually) far better to be the aggressor. If jazz just sits home and the other team sends 1 to jazz then we are not at an advantage since Jazz can potentially get decapped, lose his point, or basically stalemate since even if he kills the attacker we are hardly any better off than had he not come. So we always have jazz on them move, he is always trying to be one step ahead since the OTHER team is at a huge disadvantage if Jazz is rushing what they own.

Side-note: His build was specifically meant to counter the bruiser/boon meta and so he can 1v1 any cele ele, engie, etc if he gets his rotations and kiting correct.

Sometimes the best move is not to move though, and this is what Jazz is really good at. For example, since Jazz is our strongest 1v1 player we send him to far at the start and he almost always will win it, or at least full cap the other player there, and it forces the other team to make 2 choices, either 2v1 Jazz or let him free cap it. They almost always try and 2v1 him, and Jazz can live ~60-120 seconds 2v1 against bruisers. That usually gives us enough time to clear mid and support far.

Either he knows that due to his lack of mobility, it’s better for him to stay on a point and die 1v2 than try to leave, and so many times I will tell Jazz he can’t get support but we have advantage elsewhere and that he needs to do all he can to sustain before dying by himself.

Now when I said sometimes not moving is better than moving it’s when jazz has capped far and we just killed 1-2 people. In that case they will respawn and usually try to jump him, We either choose to let Jazz 1v1/2 or will send 1 to help him.

But yeah, while people say that turreteers do not rotate or rotate well, Jazz is a prime counter-example where his entire role focuses on smart rotations and strong, fast decaps.

We are not concerned with camping someone on a point since if the other team caps it, we can decap it whenever we choose unless they stack numbers on it to defend it… and we’re pretty good about not going into those unnecessary battles when the other 2 points are easier to penetrate.

[SoF]

(edited by Lux.7169)

in PvP

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

I want add the rest not challenge class to thread- thief, ele, ranger; that’s all.

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

in PvP

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Yes, if you watch his matches….he’s on a different level than the typical /afkturret guy.

He makes it a viable high-level build. Just like Eura makes LB Ranger viable. IT’s the people a lot more than the abilities.

After I saw him fight, I stopped talking trash to every turret Engi I saw in Ranked. Instead, now I look to see if they are good – 90% are not.

No… no he does not because it’s not a viable high level build!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in PvP

fernandinajazz.4068

I spent a lot of time with him on rotations since they are extremely important. I’m sure he can elaborate but here is the general philosophy we go by:

-His build is turret decap and so he can decap any pt in ~5-15 seconds or less against any of the best players in the game. You can see our vods against Abjured, AG, and Radioactive to see he had no problem doing that.

-His build excels in 1v1 and 2v2 scenarios, so whenever possible we play a 3pt game, pressuring all 3 points.

-Due to lack of good mobility turreteers will bleed people out—we have a no stomp philosophy where we NEVER stomp anyone except in rare 1% niche circumstances.

-The last rule is that we never leave anyone at a point doing nothing. If we win mid, we never leave anyone there unless we know someone is coming around back to cap it or something like that. If the other team wants to out-number themselves for ~25 seconds running to mid and capping it we will use that number advantage elsewhere.

So that being said if Jazz is home and caps it uncontested, he immediately runs to the enemy home since side pts are always easiest to decap. It is (usually) far better to be the aggressor. If jazz just sits home and the other team sends 1 to jazz then we are not at an advantage since Jazz can potentially get decapped, lose his point, or basically stalemate since even if he kills the attacker we are hardly any better off than had he not come. So we always have jazz on them move, he is always trying to be one step ahead since the OTHER team is at a huge disadvantage if Jazz is rushing what they own.

Side-note: His build was specifically meant to counter the bruiser/boon meta and so he can 1v1 any cele ele, engie, etc if he gets his rotations and kiting correct.

Sometimes the best move is not to move though, and this is what Jazz is really good at. For example, since Jazz is our strongest 1v1 player we send him to far at the start and he almost always will win it, or at least full cap the other player there, and it forces the other team to make 2 choices, either 2v1 Jazz or let him free cap it. They almost always try and 2v1 him, and Jazz can live ~60-120 seconds 2v1 against bruisers. That usually gives us enough time to clear mid and support far.

Either he knows that due to his lack of mobility, it’s better for him to stay on a point and die 1v2 than try to leave, and so many times I will tell Jazz he can’t get support but we have advantage elsewhere and that he needs to do all he can to sustain before dying by himself.

Now when I said sometimes not moving is better than moving it’s when jazz has capped far and we just killed 1-2 people. In that case they will respawn and usually try to jump him, We either choose to let Jazz 1v1/2 or will send 1 to help him.

But yeah, while people say that turreteers do not rotate or rotate well, Jazz is a prime counter-example where his entire role focuses on smart rotations and strong, fast decaps.

We are not concerned with camping someone on a point since if the other team caps it, we can decap it whenever we choose unless they stack numbers on it to defend it… and we’re pretty good about not going into those unnecessary battles when the other 2 points are easier to penetrate.

This is the game plan we use with turrets. The emphasis being about decapping points rather than “setting up shop” on point. It’s hard to explain the entire rotational philosophy because a lot of rotations are situational.

I owe a lot to my rotation skill to Lux. He’s spent a lot of time teaching me about rotations and how to think a few moves ahead. He’s honestly a huge asset to a turret engi because of his play calling and map awareness.

(edited by fernandinajazz.4068)

in PvP

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

STOP IGNORING THE TURRETS

YOURE NOT GONNA KILL THE kittenBAG ENGI BEFORE THE TURRETS KILL YOU

KILL HIS MAIN SOURCE OF DPS kitten

P.S – I kill Turret engis as melee w/o focusing turrets. Must be hax.

Attachments:

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

in PvP

someone.7485

This is the game plan we use with turrets. The emphasis being about decapping points rather than “setting up shop” on point. It’s hard to explain the entire rotational philosophy because a lot of rotations are situational.

I owe a lot to my rotation skill to Lux. He’s spent a lot of time teaching me about rotations and how to think a few moves ahead. He’s honestly a huge asset to a turret engi because of his play calling and map awareness.

Thanks for the response guys.

in PvP

Shiyo.3578

Just your daily reminder this spec ruins pug vs pug matches.

Nerf damage, buff utility and survivability on turrets. Thanks!

in PvP

someone.7485

The daily nerf turret engi post was done already. You are a few hours early.

in PvP

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

So, you got killed by turrets recently?
Ok.
Here is what you did wrong:
a) you have fought 1v1 against a turret engi.
b) you have fought on point against a turret engi.
c) you have focused the engi first, instead of his turrets.
d) you have not used proper LOS to mess with the turrets’ targeting.

Some facts that you should be aware when fighting against turrets:

rocket turret:
will buff 3sec of retaliation in 600 range for up to 5 allies every 10sec if traited for it (easily to spot if the turreteer has a huge load of buffs to all times or not)
turret stats (increased range by 50% if traited / also clear indicator that the direct dmg is increased by 15% as well):
Cooldown: 50sec after destruction (36 if picked up)
Damage Damage: 1,429
Attack Range: 1,000
Number of Targets: 5
Rate of Fire: 4 s
Radius: 240
_
rocket turrets overcharge:
Cooldown: 20sec after activation (may triggers with a delay (read below))
Damage Damage: 1,588
Knockdown: 2 s
Number of Targets: 1
Rate of Fire: 4 s
Duration: 4 s
Radius: 360
_

how to deal with the rocket-turret:
- use LOS to avoid its auto, or use high endurance regen (sigil of energy / high vigor uptime f.e.) to dodge it regularly.
- it is rather fragile, so focus and burst it down. after that you have 50 sec of free time to burst the engi.
- it is easy to avoid the overcharge skill of the turret since it will:
a) not fire immediately, but be queued up to be shot as the next firing-interval (regular dodging automatically solves that issue)
b) make the rocket-turret show a distinctive orange glow and make a tingling noise as soon as the engi triggers (and queues up) the overcharge.
- note that the overcharge produces an arcing, fast traveling, homing projectile. LOS may be ineffective behind too low cover.
Cooldown: 20sec upon destruction (15 if picked up)
Damage: 476
Rate of Fire: 2 s
_
rifle turret overcharge:
Cooldown: 30sec after activation.
Damage Damage: 476
Rate of Fire Increase: 50%
Vulnerability: 8 s
Duration: 10 s
_

how to deal with the rifle turret:
- its direct damage is minuscule so you can ignore it, unless it is traited for buffing fury, in which case it should be taken out right after killing the rocket turret and right before engaging the engi directly.
- its overcharge doubles the dps, which can be a potential problem. but – like the rocket-turrets’ overcharge – it is clearly announced by the orange glow and tingling noise. Use wall of reflection to let the turret kill itself or LOS to avoid it for 10sec.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in PvP

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

thumper turret:
will buff 3sec of protection every 10sec in 600 range for up to 5 allies if traited for it.
turret stats (increased range by 50% if traited / also clear indicator that the direct dmg is increased by 15% as well):
Cooldown: 50sec after destruction (36 if picked up)
Damage: 635
Crippled: 3 s
Rate of Fire: 3 s
_
Thumper Turrets’ Overcharge:
Cooldown: 30sec upon activation (may triggers with a delay (read below))
Damage: 953
Launch: 400
Combo Finisher: Blast
_

How to deal with thumper turret:
- even if traited, it’s effective range never excels 360, making it easy to avoid its overcharge and normal attacks.
- the turret is heavily armored and will most likely survive cleave-dmg, making it necessary to focus it directly for effectively clearing it. If you run a condi-build, don’t bother with it and attack the engi directly, since the protection it buffs does not help the engi against your condis as well.
- again, its overcharge is clearly indicated by the tingling noise and orange glow on the turret, and will not trigger immediately, but with the next attack-interval. dodging them completely is possible with high vigor uptime.

general tipps:
unlike thumper (which attacks as PBAoE), rifle and rocket-turret can actively made confused in their targets chosen. The turrets AI will primarily fire at the last target being hit by the engis direct attacks, so mesmers can use their phatasms as meat-shields for some shots, while thieves and rangers can use pets / thieves guild to bate the engi into attacking their own AI, while hiding in stealth for a second. that will ensure that the turrets continue attacking pets /npcs / clones until the engi can get a direct hit on you again.
if the engi could not deal direct damage (block, blind, aegis, invulnerability) to a specific target, the turrets will choose the closest, not obstructed target to fire at. If a target is chosen (a direct hit got dealt) the turrets will continue to fire at it, regardless if LOS is maintained or not. turrets only switch target on their own if they current target becomes invalid (stealth / the target left their effective range / target got killed).
This targeting-behavior can be easily exploited by 2 players, facing a single turreteer, if the one player being targeted immediately breaks LOS, so the turrets continue to fire at him, giving the other player air to breath until the engi manually switches target to the remaining player, which then can easily swap positions with his friend to ensure that the turrets keep firing against obstructions.

also, full turreteers have no stunbreaker as long as the thumper turret is on the ground, still they can blow up the thumper and use its stunbreaker while being stunned (forcing the thumper turret on a 50sec cd). They have no leaps but the rifle-jump, and only 2 condi-clears every 15/20 sec (usually we blow up our healing turret, so 20sec is most likely), and one condi-transmute every 15sec. that means that it is extremely easy to stunlock or condi-spam a turreteer. Additionally the engineer lacks of stability, so not only has this build only one, really inconvenient stunbreaker, it can be cc-spamed to all times. If you ensure that the rocket-turret is down, you can actually pop stability, endure the thumper turret and keep the engi kicked out of his point to cap it right under his bum.

And that is why turrets in general don’t need a nerf. This build is grabage, and people that fall for it really just suffer from a l2p issue. Nerfing turrets is generally a bad idea, since they definitively have their usage in niche-builds, like net-turret with some nade-specs, flame-turret in conjunction with the Flamethrower or rifle-turret in s/d builds, all of which are no OP and fun to play against. It would be a shame to nerf turrets just because some people get confused by the amount of information required to play pvp successfully, and they suffer from this issue not only against turreteers, but against a wide variety of builds from most classes which are unrighteously deemed overpowered.
Stop the nerf-madness and rather teach people how to become better combatants.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

(edited by Arantheal.7396)

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Im sorry but this pvp and thats a solid build and its good for pugs to play against and learn. Im sorry but i havent struggled against a turret engy in 2 years. My 3 fave classes for pvp is ham/bow warrior, staff ele and short bow ranger and guess what i dont lose to turret engys.

At what point do we hold the players accountable for there ability to understand there limitations and there ability to play with in the team? Instead of talking about a build that beats new players why not talk how to get new players to play within there lane.

Like Ray Lewis says, “do your job, not his job. He will do his job, stay in your lane and do what you need to do to win the game.”

Seriously how many games do you need to play to say ohhh i cant beat that build, ummmm dont engage then smart guy

in PvP

Shiyo.3578

I haven’t died solo to a turret eng my entire time SPVPing, I ignore they exist and go do other objectives. The problem is my teammates that constantly attack the node they’re at and die over, and over, and over, and over. They’re too strong vs PUG’s.

in PvP

Posted by: Bazooka.3590

Bazooka.3590

But it needs 3 new threads per day^^
Seriously this build needs a tune down and Anet should know this.

in PvP

Novuake.2691

All they know is that spammers like you can safely be ignored! And that is CORRECT… L2p…

in PvP

Bazooka.3590

All they know is that spammers like you can safely be ignored! And that is CORRECT… L2p…

Lol. No they should ignore the self-made admins like you! (u get paid to defend turrets so hard?)

in PvP

Novuake.2691

Lol. No they should ignore the self-made admins like you! (u get paid to defend turrets so hard?)

Your interaction with this community is UNHEALTHY, that ANNOYS me, I do not need money to condemn you for that.

in PvP

Bazooka.3590

Your interaction with this community is UNHEALTHY, that ANNOYS me, I do not need money to condemn you for that.

O my apologises my Majesty for myself and for the gamer community.
We just wanted to make some suggestions how to make this game better but if its annoys you of course ill stop posting on that forum.
Lol.

Relax man.

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

How to beat a team with multiple turrets.
1. Roll mesmer centered on reflects 0/4/0/4/6.
2. Slot feedback, (traited) focus
3. Bring Mirror heal.
4. …?
5. Profit.

Oh this also works against pew pew rangers too

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

How to beat a team with multiple turrets.
1. Roll mesmer centered on reflects 0/4/0/4/6.
2. Slot feedback, (traited) focus
3. Bring Mirror heal.
4. …?
5. Profit.

Oh this also works against pew pew rangers too

At the expense of losing reflection on distortion, 0/4/6/4/0 also works wonders – and then you also have the choice of CI/BI for more interrupt madness.

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

What is fun with turrets engineers, unlike other meta builds, is that the outcome of the match will depend on every other player but the turrets.

It’s highly predictable that the turret will sit on a point for a very long time, so basically you can play 5v4 on other points. Here are the points then :
- if you have a balanced setup, or having zerkers against zerkers, it should be an easy win
- if you have 5 zerkers, and opponents do have a balanced setup, it might be very hard

Now the problem is that there’s almost always one or 2 guys trying to fight the engineer on his point, resulting in bad loses. But actually, we talk about turret engineers, but there’s a similar problem in PvP generally. Yesterday, there was a MM necromancer sitting far, and our mesmer decided to try to 1v1 him on his point for no reason. Doing this is good in tPvP, but it’s not in solo queue since you don’t know if everyone will win his even number fight. People have to play safe tactics in solo queue

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

As a power necro I have no issues with turret engis. This is basically a request to nerf turrets not because they are too strong, but rather because people don’t like fighting them. Kinda pointless and childish.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

So, wait, the idea here is to balance the game around “pugs” now?

That sure will make tournaments interesting.

I haven’t died solo to a turret eng my entire time SPVPing, I ignore they exist and go do other objectives. The problem is my teammates that constantly attack the node they’re at and die over, and over, and over, and over. They’re too strong vs PUG’s.

A good team player would either educate their teammates on how to fight them, or to handle them as you do. In my opinion a weak teammate spends the time he could be educating his team, to post on the forums, demanding they change the game around “pug” problems.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

(edited by coglin.1867)

in PvP

Shiyo.3578

Turret eng isn’t viable in tournaments. The spec is too strong vs pugs. No one likes fighting turret eng’s.

Conclusion: No reason for the spec to be a thing. Buff turrets utility/survivability and nerf damage by a lot.

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Turret eng isn’t viable in tournaments. The spec is too strong vs pugs. No one likes fighting turret eng’s.

Conclusion: No reason for the spec to be a thing. Buff turrets utility/survivability and nerf damage by a lot.

That is a horribly illogical conclusion.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Shiyo.3578

Nope, there’s no reason an action based dodge based game with nearly all damage being avoidable should have pets/turrets that you don’t even control and deal damage. It shouldn’t exist, they should be there purely for utility like spirits.

in PvP

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

This is an mmorpg. We need classes/builds that work like a summoner. And they should be as viable as a non summoner class.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Shiyo.3578

No, they encourage bad habits and playstyles. Pets/turrets/etc should be soley for utility.

in PvP

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

No, they encourage bad habits and playstyles. Pets/turrets/etc should be soley for utility.

Because you want? Summoner playstyle is as legit as any other.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

There’s a bit of irony in the fact that in MOST cases, people say it makes them lazier, but the reality is… Its actually “harder” to make them work then a ‘normal’ build. Just for instance. I got talked into YOLOing the 2v2 tourney the other day and I just haven’t done much practice on various builds since I came back, so I ran turrets just for the giggles. And they threw an absolute HISSY FIT. Supposedly good players throwing complete fits… That was annoying enough. We beat them once, but ultimately lost 1v2 and still came pretty close to winning 2-1, but I wasn’t mad. Everyone was all “wiping the planet of scum” and other really rude things.

Here’s the catch… They got a pass on the “no stalling” rules set a long time ago. They just kept running behind pillars and circling the outsides and fleeing, and I personally didn’t feel right doing the same so we wen’t a bit more aggressive because I was pretty sure if we stood behind a wall with turrets we’d get called out for turtling… We still ended up downing them (though they got the rez) and with my turrets on the opposite side of the map. We basically beat them with me just running a rifle a large part of the time and no real utilities, and he was forced to run a squishy amulet.

Point being, it can actually be harder to be effective with these things than without if you’re not 100% confined to a point, especially against ranged players, yet everyone gets up in arms and down right vile, and can’t see the illusion they’re placing on themselves. They showered me with “terrible garbage players” and comments of the like and didn’t realize they lost to someone essentially not having utilities because of how easy it was to cheese them… And we still were able to kill them…

Personally, I just think a lot of the community has grown toxic and don’t even understand half of what they complain about anymore. But unfortunately, the players aren’t the only ones. Some of the ANet staff can be equally rude, and that really goes to show you how little they care about aspects of their own game when they can make fun of builds players use in their OWN game… That’s all I have to say. I still play because I can have fun, but I’ve grown a pretty big distaste for certain sections of the community and its entitlements, and now even some of the staff which acts very similarly.

Thanks for reading!

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)