What if skills were different in PvE and PvP?

in PvP

Posted by: Good Tofu.9376

Good Tofu.9376

I understand that a big problem with PvP in an MMO is that skills are shared with PvE. Balancing one mode will inevitably affect the other mode.

Would it be hard to implement a separate skill balance that exist only in PvP? For example, one skill does one thing in PvE but does a slightly different thing when in PvP.

This way, both modes can be effectively balanced.

in PvP

Posted by: Dramen Maidria.1034

Dramen Maidria.1034

The original game did that when a skill was being abused in PvP but was fine in PvE. It was honestly a better balancing strategy and I wish they still did it that way.

Dramen Maidria
Knights of ARES, Dragonbrand
Good times, good memories

in PvP

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I’d be fine with that. I think it makes more sense than trying to make a skill work for different game modes. Hell you could make a spvp wvw and pve version.

in PvP

Posted by: MadVisions.4529

MadVisions.4529

The original game did that when a skill was being abused in PvP but was fine in PvE. It was honestly a b’etter balancing strategy and I wish they still did it that way.

This is going to be a big problem for a while.
Anet removed one more pve vs. pvp difference in last patch, c&d to name it. I suggested to head in the other direction and see how good the old inventionts are, but as you see, my words are no big deal either.

/* sry 4 alkohol && autocorrect && bad grammar && etc… Hungarian mobile sux… *\

in PvP

Posted by: Khalisto.5780

Khalisto.5780

This is the best balance move any mmo could do, but I believe its really hard, cuz none done it yet. And knowing anet priorities it may never happen here, everything is fine if pve is fine.

Love roaming builds and non meta silly builds.
Don’t worry boys, Blade and Soul is coming.

in PvP

Posted by: MadVisions.4529

MadVisions.4529

This is the best balance move any mmo could do, but I believe its really hard, cuz none done it yet.

I know that GW1 can’t be called an MMO but the Devs there pleased us with this wonder and I still got some hope.

in PvP

Posted by: Mightymealworm.8409

Mightymealworm.8409

Some things still are different. Retaliation damage, pet health… oh, and Guardian shield 4 skill still has reduced protection duration in pvp, because shield wasn’t bad enough in pve…

in PvP

Posted by: tico.9814

tico.9814

Spvp needs to be almost a separate game if anet wants to have the chance in bringing the PvP to top tier esports I’ve said it a lot of times and there were also threads on making spvp free-to-play in the past. Now that the core game is Free-to-play this is already a huge step in a good direction but there still is a long way to go. Balance needs to be addressed, pvp in mmos fail a lot because of this, separating pvp balance from pve would be the best choice to do, anyone with half a brain would know this. If the devs don’t do anything about it this game will end up being remembered as the game with the biggest potential of becoming a big pvp game but failed miserably and will be looked at and studied from future mmo developers.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

ANET used to separate the skills between PvE and PvP. It worked out really well. During the latest balance overhaul, the balance team decided that it was too much work for them and was taking time away from foosball and ping pong.

in PvP

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

I understand that a big problem with PvP in an MMO is that skills are shared with PvE. Balancing one mode will inevitably affect the other mode.

Would it be hard to implement a separate skill balance that exist only in PvP? For example, one skill does one thing in PvE but does a slightly different thing when in PvP.

This way, both modes can be effectively balanced.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/It-s-time-to-balance-PvP-apart-from-PvE-WvW/first

Two years ago? Christ, it feels like yesterday.

We’ve been through the same kitten cycle of balance issues about 4 times now

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!