What ruins pvp?

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: vove.2768

vove.2768

I was wondering what in opinion of others ruins the pvp experience, in spvp and wvw as well.

In my opinion:
1. Any skill that gives invulnerability- this is a broken mechanic by design. I think it is implemented due to laziness regarding balancing (some classes have it, others don’t).
2. Perma stability. In my opinion stun breaks are enough, excessive cc also shouldn’t be present. I think excessive cc is what forced anet to implement stability in the first place.
3. Troll builds.
4. Lack of counters to some mechanics.
5. Third party healing.

With healing in hot I am disappointed in general, this was supposed not to be a clone of wow, yet is slowly getting there.

I was also wondering if there is any further balancing planned, as I recently read the professions are considered balanced at the moment as of season 5 (hahaha). If it is planned how would it look like and what in opinion of developers are the main issues that need addressing and how do they plan on addressing them.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

3. Troll builds.

Pleas define those, i am nosy

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Bardly.2571

Bardly.2571

6. Bad Sportsmen

I can learn through the rest, and if I think it’s OP I can just play it or learn to counter it by getting better at the game. PvP is ruined by bad people in the community in my opinion.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: trunks.5249

trunks.5249

bad or nonexistent rotation makes my pvp experience bad. if we have good rotation i do not mind losing. every class has their annoying skills so i have no problem with skills

master jedi david

(edited by trunks.5249)

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Sooloo.1364

Sooloo.1364

When a fractal or raid group look for a member they look for someone competent and someone with the skills required to get their task done. But not PvP, the amount of absolutely clueless people is driving me mad.
Losing a game because team mates wont or cant rotate, triple capping points, death matching off point randomly, charging onto points with 3 or more enemy and going back to die again and again and again, while I look on in horror and beg them to stop.
I thought this season was fixed but these are all of the same issues we’ve always had.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

I think when counters were introduced to counters is when the game went wrong.

Take unblockable, a recently added mechanic.

Blocks are the counter to burst damage.

Unblockable counters the counter bringing burst damage back to the meta.

Result blocks are balance to be longer lasting + cover more area/ team members.
→ Higher damage bursts are added to offset this.

The same cycle can be said of a lot of the ‘counters to the counter’ mechanics added to the game lately. Condi clear is the way to counter condi’s. Resistance now hard counters condis when a counter already existed. Now condis are more powerful since it exists. Even alactriy or cooldown resets can become offenders since the counter to skillspam gameplay is cooldowns. Use it well or be punished. Now cd’s can be reset or greatly reduced, now leading to skillspam metas.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Crowley.8761

Crowley.8761

6. Bad Sportsmen

I can learn through the rest, and if I think it’s OP I can just play it or learn to counter it by getting better at the game. PvP is ruined by bad people in the community in my opinion.

So there is no such thing as a legitimate complaint in your world, only “bad sportsmen”?

You know, if everyone acted like this no game would be improved ever. Games evolve based on player feedback and requests,feedback the developers ask us for.

Rather than blindly attacking anyone who criticizes something, maybe you should stop to consider criticism actually leads to improvements…?

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

The biggest things that ruined PvP The blatant Powercreep, frontloaded skills and all the passives implemented. Remove those and it would be something respectable. No one should be rewarded by failing to dodge or be aware of their surrounding or to defend against an enemy.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Power creep ruins PvP.

• Passive procs, especially of damaging abilities
  • Skills that are doing 3 or more things at once (and also skills that apply more than 3 boons/condis at once)
  • The ability of all classes to pump out ridiculous amounts of boons and/or conditions in a short time frame
  • Classes don’t have similar skill floors and ceilings. No 1 class should be dominating at the lower end of the skill ratings and be mediocre at best at the high end of play.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

Imo, being good at too many things in the same build setup ruins pvp. For example, being able to gear as a bunker but keep up 25 stacks of might for high damage is unfair. Or gearing as a glass canon but having high damage mitigation/healing through incredibly high boon uptime is also unfair. Or playing a healer but having a pet that hits like a truck. These things make pvp less fun for me.

Lack of game modes ruins pvp also. I’m pretty sure the next map released will also be conquest…

Infrequent balance updates also ruins pvp. Having to wait 3 months to a change to a nerf or a buff that was clearly a bad decision is cringe worthy. And refusal to admit mistakes and revert changes that are no longer necessary.

Most of all, poor sportsmanship/toxicity ruins pvp. That is worse to me than anything else.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Emdrix.6124

Emdrix.6124

DH ruins PvP. whenever I see 3 Dhs on enemy team which happens pretty often even in the 1800-1850 MMR i dont feel like playing anymore and I have to swap off my main class and mirror their braindead build to win against them.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

- Lack of balance
- Powercreep
- PvP players denial of league system problems

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

vove.2768

Imo, being good at too many things in the same build setup ruins pvp. […] gearing as a glass canon but having high damage mitigation/healing through incredibly high boon uptime is also unfair.

I know what you mean. The other day I tried longbow+mace/shield warrior and it is stupidly incredible. Big aoe, high damage and godlike mitigation trough block and perma invulnerability. In my opinion such builds destroy any balance there is left in this game.

I also agree with counters to counters to counters and power creep. If anet is planning on launching another expansion they will kill pvp completely.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Xarimath.4518

Xarimath.4518

That’s what pushes my buttons mostly. Going ranked and not putting any effort in victory. I don’t mind losing if I see anybody done their best, but not having any kind of committment, well it’s bad.

Attachments:

Jariel, your friendly neighborhood elementalist.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

That’s what pushes my buttons mostly. Going ranked and not putting any effort in victory. I don’t mind losing if I see anybody done their best, but not having any kind of committment, well it’s bad.

Try reporting him? Its a long shot, but that could be close enough to throwing a match for him to be temp banned?

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Shwyx.8190

Shwyx.8190

What ruins PVP for me is that slowly but surely all competitive games are turning into League of Legends. People will scream, shout, hurl obscenities and insults for no reason whatsoever, or simply go batkitten insane when losing.

I’ve found myself playing with chat more or less disabled a lot, and now that I’ve finished the Byzantium chest, I wonder if I’l bother with the rest of the season. GW2 has a rather casual PVP mode, its balance is alright, the maps are fun and the matches are short. Why people get mad over this is beyond me.

Unhinged teenagers using the internet to vent their frustration doesn’t hurt my feelings or anything, but you do pause and wonder why you even bother, when you could be doing more enjoyable things instead.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

My team mates because they are very inexperienced.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Honest John.4673

Honest John.4673

The illusory superiority of other people. Just today I was messing around on my silver alt and had a guy I recognized from seasons past trying to order every one around. He was playing S/F FA ele and wouldn’t shut up the entire match. We ended up winning the game (and by a large margin) but in whispers after he claimed he was, and these are his own words, “super talented” for beating up other silvers in his build and being legend all 4 previous seasons. Turns out he had an MMR in the low 1300s almost and 20 more losses than wins with over 400 matches already played this season.

People are bad and they don’t know it.

You’ll find these same people on here trolling/whining and complaining trying to dissect the mmr algorithm as to why it must be wrong and why the algorithm is the problem and not them.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: chibi.2537

chibi.2537

3. Troll builds.

Any for mesmer? I don’t have HoT and condi shatter so far works for me cause it can do massive condi damage and I like it better with scepter (skill 3) than sword for more condis. But I think mesmer has great potential for trolling cause its really fun to be invisible or teleport around and confuse people who were not prepared.

And what ruins pvp for me is the fact that HoT elite specs are very superior to non-elite specs. I don’t pay much attention to people raging/afking/ insulting me or someone else – just report the and block.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

Politicians.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Anet, or their Overlords NCsoft

XD

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Biggest issue for me is the lack of a 5v5 only Team Queue. The biggest complaint on these forums every single season is, “My teammates suck”. Every season, numerous people flood the forums with this exact complaint. Team Queue fixes the largest complaint pvp has right now.

Anet could even take it a step further and only allow teams with no more than one of each profession to queue and disable class swapping and bam, no more class stacking. Solo Queue should always exist for those players that can’t be bothered to join a team and just want to jump in a match, but a separate 5v5 only Team Queue should also exist.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Literally just had a game where i went home, a engy engage me for a 1 vs 1 and a necro from mid came to +1 home and stood off point hitting scepter 1 the whole time ……………
The screen shot is how the game ended, one player on the other team asked if anyone threw for gold.

Gold 3/platinum 1

Next picture is a close game. Problem in this game was the rev was dying every 3 seconds and the DH who said he might be laggin insta died about 4-5 times in the game.

Literally 2 games before this on sky hammer i had a necro lose every 1 vs 1 he engaged with a DH then when i get the DH’s on my team. They are dropping literally in 10 sec.
Heres the best part, the rev switches at the 400 point mark after getting owned all game. Good stuff good stuff gold 3 /platinum 1 match making ladies and jets.

Attachments:

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

If you guys would like to help me find out more about how the matchmaking currently works, read up on my thread and post results in there.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Matchmaking-Question-3/first#post6449703

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

#1.) Poor sportsmanship / toxicity

I’m willing to put in the work to beat solid builds. I’d be fine if most people were polite instead of unpleasant to deal with.

All mechanical issues and imbalances take second priority compared to this. It would be easier to point out valid compints if the first issue was not so pronounced.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: MadVisions.4529

MadVisions.4529

In my opinion:
1. Any skill that gives invulnerability- this is a broken mechanic by design. I think it is implemented due to laziness regarding balancing (some classes have it, others don’t).
2. Perma stability. In my opinion stun breaks are enough, excessive cc also shouldn’t be present. I think excessive cc is what forced anet to implement stability in the first place.
3. Troll builds.
4. Lack of counters to some mechanics.
5. Third party healing.

1. invuln isnt a problem by itself. the problem is when specs can perform actions whyle being untargetable.
2. this is the natural answer to the major boon stripps and cc fest. the roo of the problems isnt this
3. ?
4. yeppe. Too many passive instant traits, both offensive and defensive. You can evade key abilitys but next autohit will proc whatever is off CD and you take 4k dmg…
5. ?third party == non healing skill? maybe… hard to tell in this mess what hurts the most really… the low CD on mitigation and #4 is the biggest offender if u ask me

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

1: Whiner Babies

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: R O C.6574

R O C.6574

1. AFK/Rage Quitters
2. Players that don’t know how to rotate
3. Condi Mesmer

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Vitali.5039

Vitali.5039

People who play ranked and refuse to fight

Attachments:

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

When it takes 3 people to burn down 1 person because they are a mobile tank, they can boon spam, condi clear on every dam skill/weapon swap, block for days, balance issues much Anet, I don’t know how they cannot see this as a problem, ( I really want the PvP Dev to post videos showing them killing these players and then defending the ability to do everything )

Class stacking is an issue, but the players can change that by swapping out before the match starts, the problem is, that with dailies allowed to be done in ranked, they wont swap out, so your team can end up being Mesmer, Necro, and 3 thieves Vs, 3 Gaurds, 1 Warrior and an Ele, its gg before the match has started.

People who mash all the buttons on there keyboard to use every available skill because its not on cool down…….

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

Overloaded skills. Overloaded traits.

Less is more.

Gandara

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: megilandil.7506

megilandil.7506

Try reporting him? Its a long shot, but that could be close enough to throwing a match for him to be temp banned?

Lol report, Lol …
the last two matches i encountered a player, that afks after losing the first fight, he goes far, he lose, the other part of team get wipped in mid, 4v3 and they afk, he is a common ofender,he seems to be in my skill ranks every season and every season do the same, and is still playing, doing this they should be reported by entire team at least 30-40% of their matches and nothing happened to him
this is that ruins pvp, not having a solid report system(and control of reports) that punishes such behaviors
if they are low of personal for doing this, they can release and incentivated volunteer program(geting an amount of gems or something whith a regular basis for overwatching a determined amount of reports in a regular basis) to control reported games

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

vove.2768

invuln isnt a problem by itself. the problem is when specs can perform actions whyle being untargetable.

You lost me here.

Invulnerability is a huge problem. Being immortal while still able to deliver full damage is ridiculously op and that is the first thing that should be changed in order to balance pvp.

Now the real problem is balancing was done around that invulnerability, so right now you would have to rework all professions completely in order to fix the game.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Ragmon.6350

Ragmon.6350

Aoe and Spam, just about no skill required anymore, just go to MetaBattle get the top build and start spamming.

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

The game type and the same stale meta:
3 point conquest where the meta is always tanky builds that find the easiest way to survive Xv1 with a long chain of cooldowns, so everyone rotates to take fights, and team fights are decided by who can string together their CC and burst cuz no diminishing returns.

This also ruins the viewership for PvP (so no real esports) because the only way you make 3 point conquest interesting to watch is with low TTKs, because no one wants to watch 5v5 sumo matches.

And this is all before other stupid things that ruin PvP like being unable to counter build, or counter pick, (and even being punished for doing so at times) despite hard counters being a thing.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

What ruins pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

1.) Toxicity of a lot of the community (more so than in PvP and WvW). Having that 1 person in your group that all they do is yell at the party the whole match. They don’t realize that yelling at the allies makes things worse, not better (remember that), and makes them look like a moron. Also If someone is good at certain aspects (stalling caps/playing sides/decapping…etc), don’t yell at them. Yes mid is important, however getting 2 caps asap is more important. On the flip side, if you are always dying at far, leave it, don’t keep being farmable. If the team loses, its everyones fault, not just 1 person, YOU ARE A TEAM.

2.) Lack of communication that leads to a loss that could have been avoided by doing such. I tend to communicate where they are zerging or if someone is heading to a point, its a form of strategy. Very few times do others communicate. 4 ppl going to a point, call it out so allies don’t run in to their death.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights