Why do people say score doesn't matter?

in PvP

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

The fact that the OP managed to reel in 40+ responses in an obvious troll thread, hats off to him, 10/10.

Sadly, I’m not sure at all it was a troll thread. Too many around me in game think personal score = how good you did.

The day these ppl will figure there is a huge difference between their score and their team score, things might get better.

Stalemating a point in your favor for 10 min without anybody going down will yield you no point at all save the initial take, yet you made sure your team got the income points all that time. Send that guy some love instead of being a complete @$$ is what these ppl should do.

You can score 10 points because you sux that is true but you can also score 10 points because you never conceded once what you took and therefore never had to retake it for another 10 points (less competent, yet double his score).

in PvP

Posted by: CooloutAC.3451

CooloutAC.3451

They say that because they are brainwashed sheeple nerds. Too many fake nerds and carebears in gaming nowadays, is why pc gaming died a decade ago. Its also why we don’t have public stats for w/l and k/d. Its also why we don’t even have a scoreboard that shows the purple orb top players stats for each player during the match. Those top player stat orbs that flash on screen at the end of matches is the only reason i play this game!!!! You know, STATS, the things that make any sport or pro game popular for fans….

Of course score matters. It is true that the top score doesn’t always mean that is the best player or mvp of the match. But generally speaking, good players will consistently score higher then bad players. Saying score doesn’t matter is like saying things like caps, decaps, defends, kills, ressses and team assists don’t mean anything…..of course they mean something.

You can always tell who the dude outclassed in the match is, when everyone on the server has 150 points, and he has 50…That no skill, sit on his kitten , bunker, better not have lost that base once! lol. More then likely he got no points because he kept feeding deaths to mid and doesn’t know how to rotate.

If you are bunker camping a point the whole game, even if you did not lose it once(meaning you never had to recap it) you better get some points for resses, stomps, kills, team assists, or something!!! etc….

(edited by CooloutAC.3451)

in PvP

Posted by: Browrain.7346

Browrain.7346

They say that because they are brainwashed sheeple nerds. Of course score matters. It is true that the top score doesn’t always mean that is the mvp of the match. But generally speaking, good players will consistently score higher then bad players. Saying score doesn’t matter is like saying things like caps, decaps, defends, kills, ressses don’t mean anything…..of course they mean something.

You can always tell who the dude is outclassed in the match, when everyone on the server has 150 points, and he has 50…That no skill, sit on his kitten , bunker, better not have lost that base once! lol.

If you are bunker camping a base the whole game, even if you did not lose it once(meaning you never had to recap it) you better get some points for resses, stomps, kills, team assists, etc….

^ this is why ANet needs to fix this issue. People like this just have no idea how pvp in Gw2 works and it’s sad :/

in PvP

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

SCORE DOES MATTER

If the rest of the team has 100+ and you have 30, and it was a close game.

Definitely you are dead weight

Well typing everything with uppercase letters help almost as much as score does to a game.

So you are calling me dead weight when I defend home point from being captured through a whole match? Now usually I do get scores sometimes, I do this as there are players trying to take home point and I kill them but most of the time I get to fight Eles or other tanky builds and the fight can go on for almost the whole match if I don’t get help. But I know for sure that as long as I keep the cap point in my teams colour I am contributing to the team with or without any personal score. On the other hand for a tanky build trying to take the cap from an enemy player and who never succeeds to cap the point, well that player is a dead weight.

Please read first.

It would NOT be a close match if you bunked or defended the whole game.

I did read and I did understand it quite well mind you. If I defend or not won’t result in uneven matches, it is all depend on what strategys both teams are using. As a defender I evaluate if I am needed at home for example and I may move to another location if needed but still as a bunker I am traited to be guarding a point from being captured by the enemy team thus I will stay on a captured point and thus I will not gain very much personal score, still I am doing a darn good job holding a point from the enemies if they try to take it but I can keep them from doing that but still I gain no score.

My other teammates can make mistakes and we will loose points so we can iether loose, win or we can have a very close match. Defending capture points is one of the most important positions in this game and it usually gives you the least points.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

SCORE DOES MATTER

Well typing everything with uppercase letters help almost as much as score does to a game.

So you are calling me dead weight when I defend home point from being captured through a whole match? Now usually I do get scores sometimes, I do this as there are players trying to take home point and I kill them but most of the time I get to fight Eles or other tanky builds and the fight can go on for almost the whole match if I don’t get help. But I know for sure that as long as I keep the cap point in my teams colour I am contributing to the team with or without any personal score. On the other hand for a tanky build trying to take the cap from an enemy player and who never succeeds to cap the point, well that player is a dead weight.

Please read first.

I did read and I did understand it quite well mind you. If I defend or not won’t result in uneven matches, it is all depend on what strategys both teams are using. As a defender I evaluate if I am needed at home for example and I may move to another location if needed but still as a bunker I am traited to be guarding a point from being captured by the enemy team thus I will stay on a captured point and thus I will not gain very much personal score, still I am doing a darn good job holding a point from the enemies if they try to take it but I can keep them from doing that but still I gain no score.

My other teammates can make mistakes and we will loose points so we can iether loose, win or we can have a very close match. Defending capture points is one of the most important positions in this game and it usually gives you the least points.

If you go into every match and do the same strategy without adapting, you won’t win as many games imo.

Defending capture points, gives you capture defend points. Its one of those top player stats at the end of matches. Also, unless you never lose the base ever, you get the neutralizer points. Also part of a bunkers job, is to res and stomp. Plus just cause you are a bunker doesn’t mean you should never attack something, you touch something that dies you get the kill assist points. Granted you might not be top score, but gimme a break…. if you got no points in the match, its because you suck period.

Plus with these new hot metas, who isn’t a bunker? lmao….

Browrain.7346

^ this is why ANet needs to fix this issue. People like this just have no idea how pvp in Gw2 works and it’s sad :/

If you think the conquest game mode was invented in gw2, you are whats sad, nerd.

in PvP

Posted by: IsilZha.3608

IsilZha.3608

Stalemating a point in your favor for 10 min without anybody going down will yield you no point at all save the initial take, yet you made sure your team got the income points all that time.

Just to illustrate using your own example, let’s say it was on Kyhlo. The first player holds a capture point for 10 minutes, but never gets a kill (thieves keep trying to back cap and just retreat, for sake of argument.) The second player operated the trebuchet for a bit, and then roamed around making kills, ignoring the capture points.

Player 1
Capping point: 10 points
Holding for 10 minutes, all opponents flee: 0 Points

Total Personal score: 10

Team score towards victory:
1 point every 2 seconds that capture point is held for 10 minutes = 300 points towards victory.

Player 2
Getting 10 kills off-point to grant “skirmisher” bonus: 150
20 Trebuchet hits: 60

Total personal score: 210 (21x the guy holding a point)

10 kills x 5 points per kill = 50 points towards victory.
Trebuchet scoring does not contribute to victory.

In this example, the person with 21x the personal score only contributed 1/6th as much towards actual victory as the guy that held a point all match.

“To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”

in PvP

Browrain.7346

SCORE DOES MATTER

Please read first.

If you go into every match and do the same strategy without adapting, you won’t win as many games imo.

Defending capture points, gives you capture defend points. Its one of those top player stats at the end of matches. Also, unless you never lose the base ever, you get the neutralizer points. Also part of a bunkers job, is to res and stomp. Plus just cause you are a bunker doesn’t mean you should never attack something, you touch something that dies you get the kill assist points. Granted you might not be top score, but gimme a break…. if you got no points in the match, its because you suck period.

Browrain.7346

If you think the conquest game mode was invented in gw2, you are whats sad, nerd.

Nope, never said I thought conquest was invented in gw2. Idk how you got that from my post. I’m saying it’s sad you think personal score matters. I don’t blame you though. Many people just don’t take the time or lack the intelligence to learn.

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

Stalemating a point in your favor for 10 min without anybody going down will yield you no point at all save the initial take, yet you made sure your team got the income points all that time.

Just to illustrate using your own example, let’s say it was on Kyhlo. The first player holds a capture point for 10 minutes, but never gets a kill (thieves keep trying to back cap and just retreat, for sake of argument.) The second player operated the trebuchet for a bit, and then roamed around making kills, ignoring the capture points.

Player 1

1 point every 2 seconds that capture point is held for 10 minutes = 300 points towards victory.

Player 2

In this example, the person with 21x the personal score only contributed 1/6th as much towards actual victory as the guy that held a point all match.

Trebuchet hits? thats your example?

yes a kill is only 5 points very good. 10 kills off points? thats quite alot. Also you mean to tell me noone ever contested player 1 bunking the home base? he just stood there and never had to fight anyone the whole match? unlikely. more likely is he would also get a couple kills, had to recap once or twice….. And i’m not sure how the point system actually works, but i do know there is lots of top player stats for all diff things at the end of matches….. including boons applied, removed, conditions, defend points, etc…

in PvP

IsilZha.3608

No one’s arguing that strategies need to adapt or anything, either. The bunkers are examples of why you can’t just look at personal score and say someone was playing awful.

The argument (and fact) is that personal score is a very poor indicator of actual contribution towards victory. It is completely unreliable and in many cases rewards game-losing play (pad muh K/D and ignore the objective,) and doesn’t reward game-winning play (holding a capture point from from attack.)

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

SCORE DOES MATTER

Please read first.

Browrain.7346

Nope, never said I thought conquest was invented in gw2. Idk how you got that from my post. I’m saying it’s sad you think personal score matters. I don’t blame you though. Many people just don’t take the time or lack the intelligence to learn.

you can say the same thing about any pro athletic sport nerd. In basketball you can call someone a ball hog and only going for personal stats and not helping his team. Does it mean he sucks? Does it mean noone wants to see the stats? Of course not. GW2 would be more popular if it was treated like an athletic sport.

And Of course personal score matters, it might not nescessarily mean who is the mvp of the match or team, for example Andre Igoudala getting mvp for the finals in the last nba season even though he was no way the top scorer but “helped his team more”…. But to say score doesn’t matter at all, especially in random pugs, is quite the nerd thing to say.

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

No one’s arguing that strategies need to adapt or anything, either. The bunkers are examples of why you can’t just look at personal score and say someone was playing awful.

The argument (and fact) is that personal score is a very poor indicator of actual contribution towards victory. It is completely unreliable and in many cases rewards game-losing play (pad muh K/D and ignore the objective,) and doesn’t reward game-winning play (holding a capture point from from attack.)

You absolutely can, when everyone in the match has triple digits, and some guy has 25 points? And his team got smashed? ya, he sucked.

Would be great though if we could see how many points or ticks each player got for all the top player stats. Carebears in these mmos are too much man, gw1 never had a real scoreboard either. But tk god for those purple orbs, its what I live for. But would be even more awesome to compare total amounts in each category for all players.

in PvP

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

SCORE DOES MATTER

Please read first.

And if you stubbornly sit on home point and the enemy team ignores you while 5v4’ing your team on the map?

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in PvP

IsilZha.3608

Player 1

Player 2

yes a kill is only 5 points very good. 10 kills off points? thats quite alot. Also you mean to tell me noone ever contested player 1 bunking the home base? he just stood there and never had to fight anyone the whole match? unlikely. more likely is he would also get a couple kills, had to recap once or twice….. And i’m not sure how the point system actually works, but i do know there is lots of top player stats for all diff things at the end of matches….. including boons applied, removed, conditions, defend points, etc…

I did indicate, that in my example, the point behind defended was under constant attack. But you know, if you have to pick out parts of an example to make your (still) weak argument even work, I guess even you don’t see yourself as having a good one.

Here, have some real end game examples, of the few I actually bothered to even screen shot:

http://i.imgur.com/VHGE8jJ.png
http://i.imgur.com/pBO9D9N.png
http://i.imgur.com/zVCJYre.png

Hey look, personal score fails to directly correlate to victory.

in PvP

IsilZha.3608

SCORE DOES MATTER

Please read first.

And if you stubbornly sit on home point and the enemy team ignores you while 5v4’ing your team on the map?

That would be bad. But that’s not what’s being argued.

A player with a low score could be bad/not contributing, but they could equally be the most valuable player on the team, because the argument is that the personal scoring is highly flawed and not a good indicator of actual contribution .

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

Player 1

Player 2

I did indicate, that in my example, the point behind defended was under constant attack. But you know, if you have to pick out parts of an example to make your (still) weak argument even work, I guess even you don’t see yourself as having a good one.

Here, have some real end game examples, of the few I actually bothered to even screen shot:

whats even weaker is using trebuchet points to try and prove your point lol.

Again, I highly doubt the guy bunking home all game was never contested and never got any assist points for anything.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

A tank can score zero points in a match by holding an already held location, prevent it from being captured in 1v1, 2v1, 3v1, etc. and because of their build never kill anyone for the eternity of the match. Did they not contribute? They got zero points, so they must suck.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

SCORE DOES MATTER

Please read first.

A player with a low score could be bad/not contributing, but they could equally be the most valuable player on the team, because the argument is that the personal scoring is highly flawed and not a good indicator of actual contribution .

More often then not the players with the most points is the most valuable, because he knows how to rotate and is not just feeding mid the whole game. But of course like you point out, not nescessarily, but generally speaking….

For example, the dude on the winning team with 230 points, when everyone else had 100 points, certainly is most likely the best player. The game is still about capping and killing, as much as you carebear no skill noobs want to sit on a base with you bunker meta with your eyes closed dodging and smashing buttons, I hate to break it to you, most of the time you are not he mvp of the match…. Especially now when everyone else is a bunker too lmao…

Again what match have you played where a base is never contested?

in PvP

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

the argument is not that someone with low points played terribly because they held a capture point. That is being made up by people who don’t agree with him. like i said before its really the only excuse to score low. if you are not holding anything and you score terribly it’s very telling.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in PvP

IsilZha.3608

Player 1

Player 2

Again, I highly doubt the guy bunking home all game was never contested and never got any assist points for anything.

“I’m going to make kitten up and ignore real facts presented”

So showing real end game stats where the losing team had much higher personal scores doesn’t prove that personal scores are a poor indicator of achieving victory? Oh right, you ignored anything contrary to your position again.

Got it. Continue being willfully ignorant since you refuse to admit you’re wrong even in the face of unquestionable evidence against it. Bye.

in PvP

dank.3680

SCORE DOES MATTER

Please read first.

I agree, just showing the other side of “I have low points because I bunkered home” argument.

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

A tank can score zero points in a match by holding an already held location, prevent it from being captured in 1v1, 2v1, 3v1, etc. and because of their build never kill anyone for the eternity of the match. Did they not contribute? They got zero points, so they must suck.

what ist hat 1 in a million matches? gimme a break. I say it never happened.

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

Player 1

Player 2

“I’m going to make kitten up and ignore real facts presented”

So showing real end game stats where the losing team had much higher personal scores doesn’t prove that personal scores are a poor indicator of achieving victory? Oh right, you ignored anything contrary to your position again.

Got it. Continue being willfully ignorant since you refuse to admit you’re wrong even in the face of unquestionable evidence against it. Bye.

your used trebuchet points to try and prove your argument, lmao, and then you want people to believe that its common for a guy to bunk a base and never be contested the whole match…. ya ok………

Who said the guy with the highest personal score will be on the winning team always? Thats also not true in basketball as I explained….doesn’t mean though that personal score is meaningless……

in PvP

Warlord.9074

the argument isn’t that the team with the highest personal scores should win. Thats another made up argument. OP never said that. OP never meant that. It’s just your peoples own defense mechanism to try and prove a point that the op didn’t make.

One of the screen shots I saw the winning team has less of a personal score than the losers yet the thief on the winning team had one of the worst scores. It clearly means the thief got carried.

in PvP

Browrain.7346

SCORE DOES MATTER

Please read first.

More often then not the players with the most points is the most valuable, because he knows how to rotate and is not just feeding mid the whole game. But of course like you point out, not nescessarily, but generally speaking….

For example, the dude on the winning team with 230 points, when everyone else had 100 points, certainly is most likely the best player. The game is still about capping and killing, as much as you carebear no skill noobs want to sit on a base with you bunker meta with your eyes closed dodging and smashing buttons, I hate to break it to you, most of the time you are not he mvp of the match…. Especially now when everyone else is a bunker too lmao…

See ANet… look at this guy’s posts. You did this to yourself ANet, when you implemented personal score in the first place. People like CooloutAC get the wrong idea.

But here, let’s go back to the old hotjoin days of tagging every single downed player and double-capping points. Because when I end the game with 570 points, it must mean I’m MVP!

in PvP

Warlord.9074

If I get top damage delt, top stomps, and my team wins I know im the best and if i lose I know my team is bad bcuz they don’t stomp and they do no dammage.

in PvP

dank.3680

If I get top damage delt, top stomps, and my team wins I know im the best.

What about the guy who got top revives picking you up ?

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

SCORE DOES MATTER

Please read first.

See ANet… look at this guy’s posts. You did this to yourself ANet, when you implemented personal score in the first place. People like CooloutAC get the wrong idea.

But here, let’s go back to the old hotjoin days of tagging every single downed player and double-capping points. Because when I end the game with 570 points, it must mean I’m MVP!

the problem is nerds like you think, gw2 is somehow very different from any other sport. Its not buddy… its not at all…. Only difference is its played digitally.

You are also the example and epitome of a carebear. a term coined in mmos for people like you. Anet should be showing as many diff stats for players as they can and make them all public imo. Just like any other sport respected around the world.

If i have a crappy w/l, it doesn’t mean i won’t want to play the game. And if you are a bunker with low k/d you should be shining in other stats, like conditions removed from allies, boons applied, etc…. Crappy stats don’t bother normal people, because its not always about being the best, its about following my personal stats, seeing my own personal progression, and seeing that of others. Thats what fans do. This also attracts more players and fans and encourages competitive matches. Its what real sportlike communities are built on. Its why athletic sports are shown on tv and what fans read the paper for. Too many nerds in gaming now…..and whats ironic is you’d think they would want to crunch numbers lol.

in PvP

Browrain.7346

SCORE DOES MATTER

Please read first.

the problem is nerds like you think, gw2 is somehow very different from any other sport. Its not buddy… its not at all…. Only difference is its played digitally.

You are also the example and epitome of a carebear. a term coined in mmos for people like you. Anet should be showing as many diff stats for players as they can and make them all public imo. Just like any other sport respected around the world.

If i have a crappy w/l, it doesn’t mean i won’t want to play the game. Because its more about following my personal stats, seeing my own personal progression, seeing that of others. Thats what fans do. This also attracts more players and fans and encourages competitive matches. Its what real sportlike communities are built on. Too many nerds in gaming now…..

I don’t blame you, no need to get hostile. It’s not your fault that your view is wrong. ANet needs to address this widespread misconception.

in PvP

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

They say that because they are brainwashed sheeple nerds. Of course score matters. It is true that the top score doesn’t always mean that is the mvp of the match. But generally speaking, good players will consistently score higher then bad players. Saying score doesn’t matter is like saying things like caps, decaps, defends, kills, ressses don’t mean anything…..of course they mean something.

You can always tell who the dude is outclassed in the match, when everyone on the server has 150 points, and he has 50…That no skill, sit on his kitten , bunker, better not have lost that base once! lol.

If you are bunker camping a base the whole game, even if you did not lose it once(meaning you never had to recap it) you better get some points for resses, stomps, kills, team assists, etc….

You beat me to it. This is the sort I’m being matched with and I’m fed up carrying them.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

in PvP

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

So what you’re saying, CooloutAC, is that I should double-cap points with a teammate to increase my personal score instead of moving off to +1 the fight at mid?

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

SCORE DOES MATTER

Please read first.

If i have a crappy w/l, it doesn’t mean i won’t want to play the game. Because its more about following my personal stats, seeing my own personal progression, seeing that of others. Thats what fans do. This also attracts more players and fans and encourages competitive matches. Its what real sportlike communities are built on. Too many nerds in gaming now…..

I don’t blame you, no need to get hostile. It’s not your fault that your view is wrong. ANet needs to address this widespread misconception.

The only widespread misconception is that score doesn’t mean anything. It might not nescessarily mean a team win, but it definitely means something.

The root of the problem, is nerds like you don’t respect video game sports the same as you would any athletic sports. You are also carebears who think bad stats will drive players away, because you are the sore losers who get jealous yourselves. You think if you show personal stats people would not play to win on their teams. Which is nonsense.

Gw2 is no different then basketball. Personal score doesn’t necessarily win matches in any team game, no matter what it is nerd. This is something you are not understanding. But to claim personal score doesn’t mean anything and to hide other stats, is what really drives players away.

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

So what you’re saying, CooloutAC, is that I should double-cap points with a teammate to increase my personal score instead of moving off to +1 the fight at mid?

That is totally up to you. I can’t tell you what to do. Depends on the enemy team. I usually don’t double cap myself. Most good players don’t but it all depends. ANd yet they will still consistently score higher. Because there are many opportunities to cap and because of many other things that give personal points.

As I keep saying, the top scorer on a basketball team match, is also not necessarily the mvp or on the winning team. There are other stats like assists, blocks, steals, etc…. refer to the top player purple orb stats at the end of a gw2 match.

in PvP

Browrain.7346

That is totally up to you. I can’t tell you what to do. I don’t double cap myself. Most good players don’t, yet they will still consistently score higher. Becaues there are many things beside capping that gives personal points.

As I keep saying, the top scorer on a basketball team match, is also not nescessarily the mvp. There are other stats like assists, blocks, steals, etc…. refer to the top player purple orb stats at the end of a gw2 match.

I guess the Mesmer that bunked mid all game, holding the point neutral so that his team could team fight somewhere else, contributed less than everyone else. Keep calling everyone nerds and trying to compare basketball to gw2.

in PvP

IsilZha.3608

SCORE DOES MATTER

Please read first.

I agree, just showing the other side of “I have low points because I bunkered home” argument.

The bunkering was just one example of how the personal score doesn’t show contribution to victory. Otherwise you and I are in agreement. If I show you a scoreboard where one guy on the winning team had a really low score, without seeing the match, you can’t say if he was useless and afk most of the match, or the MVP who ensured victory.

Then you have games like the examples I posted where everyone on the enemy team got a higher score than anyone on the winning team, in a game where it wasn’t even close. My first example I actually remember. The enemy team would abandon even finishing a capture to chase down kills, and never return to take it back. They would constantly zerg into extended brawls in the middle of no where while we owned all the capture points.

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

That is totally up to you. I can’t tell you what to do. I don’t double cap myself. Most good players don’t, yet they will still consistently score higher. Becaues there are many things beside capping that gives personal points.

As I keep saying, the top scorer on a basketball team match, is also not nescessarily the mvp. There are other stats like assists, blocks, steals, etc…. refer to the top player purple orb stats at the end of a gw2 match.

I guess the Mesmer that bunked mid all game, holding the point neutral so that his team could team fight somewhere else, contributed less than everyone else. Keep calling everyone nerds and trying to compare basketball to gw2.

in mid he would definitely get kill assist points, resses, and stomps, and I’m not sure what else. and if it neutral most of the time, then most likely the base is going back and forth on the caps as well at times. He might even get top personal score.

This is not about the most valuable player always getting top personal score or top personal scores equaling a team win. But good players willl consistently score higher then those that suck. This is all common sense and it doesn’t matter if you are playing gw2, or hockey, which is why your comments to the contrary are absurd to me.

in PvP

Posted by: rennlc.7346

rennlc.7346

They say it doesn’t matter because they think it doesn’t it matter. Whatever stance you take on score, whether it’s closer to one extreme (“Best score = best player always!”) or the other (“Score means absolutely nothing ever!”), there are going to be plenty of exceptions to that rule. In my opinion, it’s more beneficial to look at GW2’s relationship between score and skill (and lack thereof) as an opportunity to learn more about the use and misuse of statistics than to attempt to determine a concrete answer on how important or unimportant score currently is in this game.

in PvP

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Points do matter, but not to the extent that players should abandon points and secondaries for them.

They cannot, in many cases, be used to determine player skill.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

They say it doesn’t matter because they think it doesn’t it matter. Whatever stance you take on score, whether it’s closer to one extreme (“Best score = best player always!”) or the other (“Score means absolutely nothing ever!”), there are going to be plenty of exceptions to that rule. In my opinion, it’s more beneficial to look at GW2’s relationship between score and skill (and lack thereof) as an opportunity to learn more about the use and misuse of statistics than to attempt to determine a concrete answer on how important or unimportant score currently is in this game.

In my opinion its no different then any team sport. GW2 is no exception. nerds just can’t understand that.

in PvP

sephiroth.4217

You never play with bunker builds? Riiiiiight, ok, sure.

….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

ANet has been aware of the break in logic between their personal scoring and how the game is actually played since launch. They have made no move to change it. The whole score board is just bad. We should be able to see all the statistical information that we see at the end of the match for every player on the map and we should be able to check it live. One thing I’ve always kinda laughed at was that the big tournaments have basically no scoreboard, no index of performance for any of the players or teams, let alone the matches themselves. It makes me laugh that people worry about balance effecting “Esports status” yet ANet hasn’t even figured out how to present it to viewers in a logical fashion like pretty much every sport does, not just the electronic variety, and that includes highlighting player statistics live.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in PvP

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

highlighting player statistics live.

this.

for score to be an accurate gauge of player skill, it needs to be presented in a concise stat sheet that shows information such as:

*points capped
*points defended
*players killed
*players assisted
*objectives captured/completed
*deaths
*time spent on objective capturing

at the like.

Then we can start seeing some real significance in the flat number we have now.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in PvP

Posted by: Entioch.6594

Entioch.6594

That is totally up to you. I can’t tell you what to do. Depends on the enemy team. I usually don’t double cap myself. Most good players don’t but it all depends. ANd yet they will still consistently score higher. Because there are many opportunities to cap and because of many other things that give personal points.

As I keep saying, the top scorer on a basketball team match, is also not necessarily the mvp or on the winning team. There are other stats like assists, blocks, steals, etc…. refer to the top player purple orb stats at the end of a gw2 match.

LMFAO

Screenshotted, that’s Darwin award material. Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems your under the impression that top stat awards at the end of the match have some correlation with person score?

Hidden Sin[ONI]
ERP guild looking for members.

in PvP

sephiroth.4217

I’m sure point chasing in Stronghold is needed, but for conquest, holding points is needed.
Running around in a group of 4 chasing points only helps so much, but don’t let that confuse you about your skills or how much you actually helped because generally I see those players give up a cap point to avoid a 1v1 which is NOT helpful at all. But grats on your high score!

Quoted from another thread

Rotation is one of two things.
The order in which you use your skills.
The act of moving as a group of 5 people back and forth between 2 or three points constantly capping/decapping while using the enemy teams defenders as a way to feed your point gain.

….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in PvP

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Score doesn’t matter because it doesn’t consider defense, support and assists.

With only a fraction of the factors that determine victory showing in personal score, the number shown there is mostly inconsequential.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in PvP

Browrain.7346

In my opinion its no different then any team sport. GW2 is no exception. nerds just can’t understand that.

Let me make this easier for you. Look at shutdown corners in football like Darrell Revis or Richard Sherman. Many games, their stats are crap. Why? Because the opposing quarterback completely avoids throwing in their direction.

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

I’m sure point chasing in Stronghold is needed, but for conquest, holding points is needed.
Running around in a group of 4 chasing points only helps so much, but don’t let that confuse you about your skills or how much you actually helped because generally I see those players give up a cap point to avoid a 1v1 which is NOT helpful at all. But grats on your high score!

Quoted from another thread

Rotation is one of two things.
The order in which you use your skills.
The act of moving as a group of 5 people back and forth between 2 or three points constantly capping/decapping while using the enemy teams defenders as a way to feed your point gain.

the game is full of bunker builds now, thats my point. So why would being a bunker even mean anything? And someone getting 0 points because they bunked a base all game? On what planet do you live on where this has happened? Sounds more like he tried and failed all game lmao…

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

With only a fraction of the factors that determine victory showing in personal score, the number shown there is mostly inconsequential.

Thats like saying goal scores in basketball don’t matter, because it doesn’t consider things like blocks, steals and assists…. Do you see how jealous nerd that sounds?

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

Thats like saying goal scores in basketball don’t matter, because it doesn’t consider things like blocks, steals and assists…. Do you see how jealous nerd that sounds?

They post stats of all players that include their Assists, Steals, Blocks, Turnovers, etc.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

Let me make this easier for you. Look at shutdown corners in football like Darrell Revis or Richard Sherman. Many games, their stats are crap. Why? Because the opposing quarterback completely avoids throwing in their direction.

ok so I guess you agree now that gw2 isn’t any diff from any other team sport? But one difference is, in professional athletic sports, noone goes around saying personal score doesn’t mean anything because of the other factors that go into a team win. That would be silly.

in PvP

CooloutAC.3451

ok so I guess you agree now that gw2 isn’t any diff from any other team sport? But one difference is, in professional athletic sports, noone goes around saying personal score doesn’t mean anything because of the other factors that go into a team win. That would be silly.