Why do people say score doesn't matter?

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

I don’t think anyone is claiming that standing on a point whilst neglecting the rest of the map is a strong strategy. They’re merely pointing out that the game does not reward certain aspects of the game play that are integral to winning strategies, and that it can mislead players.

Stop nit picking and learn to think for yourself. Just because you received a reward for something doesn’t mean it was the proper or optimal choice for achieving the main objective. Lab rats can manage to understand this. You can, too.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in PvP

Posted by: flarezi.9381

flarezi.9381

Because you can have whole enemy team after you whole match while you running in circles, have 0 points and lead you team to victory.

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

To the OP, here is why score is a bad method to gauge a player’s contribution:

Match starts and a good player pushes far. He reaches far in time to keep the point neutral. Two enemy players fallback to attempt to +1 and kill him. The bunker continues to hold the far point neutral in a 1v2. He can’t kill the enemies but the enemies can’t kill him either.

This bunker is leaving his team to a 4v3 at home and mid " in their favor" it should be easy for his team to hold down a 2 node cap on home mid, without allowing any back caps. However, his team is full of bads! They continuously zerg from home to mid and mid to home. No one stays or watches to stop the backcaps. NO! they are more interested in going point to point to make SURE they get those hits on enemy players for more personal score. It’s also a side bonus that since they are allowing backcaps, they will get even MORE points for recapping the backcaps.

At the end of the match, the bads will receive 200+ personel score for their under-handed play in an advantage 4v3 but the amazingly skilled bunker who pulled the match for them, will receive 0 points.

This is an extreme example but it is a truth that points out that not only does personal score not matter but a high personal score can actually reflect bad play.

again with the 0 points, wtf are you talking about 0 points, what match have you ever seen wher eyou consider a bunker winning the match for his team and getting “0” points hahaha. Its not only an extreme example, its something you’ve never seen happen…. Chances are that bunker will end up being top scorer, or have a high score, because the base most likely won’t stay neutral for the whole entire match and he will be decapping or capping it constantly, and eventually those two enemies you say hes holding off all game will die occasionally when his teammates come to help. or they will kill him when their teamates show up, and he will be coming back for a quick decap. gimme a break…. If he has 0 points I guarantee his team lost and he is a garbage player I would never want to play with.

This so feels like a case of carebears wanting to think they are better players then they really are. People lose, peoples suck, thats life. And thats no reason to hide stats or pretend they don’t matter. Most people into sports will still love to play, and most people will still consider winning the match most important.

Wrong

I saw Phantaram do this at the far point, during the last game we had him in. In fact, the situation was more ridiculous than what is listed above. Three players had tried to go and kill Phanta at far point. He literally did exactly what I have described above for almost 6 minutes in to the match before he had to fall back, against 3 players. He couldn’t kill them but they couldn’t kill him either and the point remained neutral for over 6 minutes, resulting in 0 point score for Phantaram, even 6 minutes in to the match.

Let’s keep discussing how much those personal score points matter.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

It does matter, but it can be deceptive. If you sit and hold a point for an entire match, you may not score much, but you’ve contributed a huge amount to your team winning.

in PvP

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

Because you can have whole enemy team after you whole match while you running in circles, have 0 points and lead you team to victory.

Pretty sure with enemies like that should be a win no matter what you do in the match.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in PvP

Posted by: Kaliny.8265

Kaliny.8265

If something MIGHT indicate something. Then it doesn’t matter.

Points Might indicate some good plays by rotating and helping on various places, or might indicate double capping and stupid 2×1 on people that would already lose that 1×1 and loss elsewhere because of that.

So… it might indicate… or might not… so is BS and it does not matter omg…

I’m not always rude and sarcastic… Sometimes i’m asleep.

(edited by Kaliny.8265)

in PvP

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

If something MIGHT indicate something. Then it doesn’t matter.

Exactly!

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

THIS IS THE FUNNIEST THREAD IVE SEEN in a long long time.

OP and everyone defending him are trolling.

Seriously guys, I don’t think anyone here is so dumb that they’d think points matter. Guys, no one here is THAT STUPID. Right guys?

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

Posted by: Kaliny.8265

Kaliny.8265

Also that guy that said probabily the bunker would top score if he is beeing such a good bunker… give a break man you know we actually play the game too don’t you?!

I’m not always rude and sarcastic… Sometimes i’m asleep.

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Seriously guys, I don’t think anyone here is so dumb that they’d think points matter. Guys, no one here is THAT STUPID. Right guys?

You’d be surprised. The craap i’ve seen people do in pvp matches leads me to believe some people really are that stupid.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I’m amused by this thread. All the people that believe personal score matter seem upset that people aren’t recognizing their score for what it is ~ a digital measurement of their manhood. Or at least that’s what they wish it to be.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

in PvP

Posted by: Fikfain.5849

Fikfain.5849

Last night, I went to quarry to capture home. I was solo, rest of them went mid. I reported 2 necros inc to me. They were guilded, probably paired and on team comms. I was able to hold off for a while, but went down, watched them cap the point and head for our side door. I called for help at the lord. I didn’t get any. I solo attempted to stop them again and was able to down one but couldn’t kill before the other had stab rezzed him (and he was a minion reaper and got a full complement of pets from Rise! on the guards and lord). They killed me then finished off the lord. One of our guys wandered over by that point and died as soon as they were done on the lord. They then spawn camped me for the remaining 2 minutes and we lost 500-160 (someone backcapped home after they left it and blue never went over there again because they owned mid and waterfall plus the lord kill). I kittened that my teammates never supported me when I told them what was going on in team chat. They said “you have 0 score” and “go slam your face into a wall”, and kept harping on my 0 score (when I faced 2 reapers the entire match and had downed one of them about 3 times but never able to finish off a kill…but I was always in the right place to be on defense the entire time).

So, yeah. They are that stupid and they do think score matters…and they’ll make you lose 500-160.

Fikbomber — Big Red and White Charr Engineer
Fikfain — Little Purple Sylvari Mesmer
Ascension [WAR] of Borlis Pass

in PvP

Posted by: Leohart.4610

Leohart.4610

Last night, I went to quarry to capture home. I was solo, rest of them went mid. I reported 2 necros inc to me. They were guilded, probably paired and on team comms. I was able to hold off for a while, but went down, watched them cap the point and head for our side door. I called for help at the lord. I didn’t get any. I solo attempted to stop them again and was able to down one but couldn’t kill before the other had stab rezzed him (and he was a minion reaper and got a full complement of pets from Rise! on the guards and lord). They killed me then finished off the lord. One of our guys wandered over by that point and died as soon as they were done on the lord. They then spawn camped me for the remaining 2 minutes and we lost 500-160 (someone backcapped home after they left it and blue never went over there again because they owned mid and waterfall plus the lord kill). I kittened that my teammates never supported me when I told them what was going on in team chat. They said “you have 0 score” and “go slam your face into a wall”, and kept harping on my 0 score (when I faced 2 reapers the entire match and had downed one of them about 3 times but never able to finish off a kill…but I was always in the right place to be on defense the entire time).

So, yeah. They are that stupid and they do think score matters…and they’ll make you lose 500-160.

Haha autism /s They probably lost a few brain cells upon birth, please don’t judge them #leavethekittensalone
P.S. abc is obviously trolling cuz thread is troll. #fallacies

in PvP

Posted by: Niekas.3854

Niekas.3854

A person who held a home point for 10 minutes and has 10 points while his team lost the game trying to 4v5 is equal to the same as a person who has 10 points and solo died 15 times trying to take back home.

Points do matter. Learn to rotate.

10*60/2=300

That’s 300 team score holding 1 captured point for 10 minutes.

Now make the math for enemies holding 2 points because they are winning 5v4. I am not saying bunkering a point is not good, i am saying that if the guy bunkering gets ignored by the enemies – it usually turns all the way around.

in PvP

Posted by: IsilZha.3608

IsilZha.3608

A person who held a home point for 10 minutes and has 10 points while his team lost the game trying to 4v5 is equal to the same as a person who has 10 points and solo died 15 times trying to take back home.

Points do matter. Learn to rotate.

10*60/2=300

That’s 300 team score holding 1 captured point for 10 minutes.

Now make the math for enemies holding 2 points because they are winning 5v4. I am not saying bunkering a point is not good, i am saying that if the guy bunkering gets ignored by the enemies – it usually turns all the way around.

Congratulations on rehashing an argument that had not only been fully answered more than once in this thread, but it pretty irrelevant. Try reading the thread first?

“To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”

in PvP

Posted by: yLoon.5289

yLoon.5289

Just let these bunch of kids “I scored high points, definitely i am a PRo then!” wagon to learn the hard way. Pointless to argue further.

They failed to understand “You may win the battle, but you lose the war”

12K AP
Level 54 Bear Rank