Will open world PVP servers be considered?

in PvP

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

You know the more I think of this the more I wish they would just open one already.

The gankers and griefers could gank and grief each other till the cows come home and the carebears (myself included) could just enjoy the beautiful world that ANet has given us on our own server(s). Even allow the dueling option for when they want to do that garbage too, even though it doesn’t fit the lore. For this player it’s a Win/Win/Win

in PvP

Posted by: Halandir.3609

Halandir.3609

It confuses me why PvE only players would have anything against the existence of a type of server where they wouldn’t have to play. It wouldn’t affect you in the slightest.

And the old “there’s games already out there that cater for your particular play style”…. There’s games out there that have working LFG tools, that have working Guild UI interfaces, that have dungeons where the norm is to play the encounters and not to exploit them, should we all migrate en mass to those games as well?

It confuses me why some people actually seem to believe that running 2 completely different rulesets on servers that just look alike is as easy as flicking a switch?

Ressources spent on developing a niche feature = Less ressources for the rest of us = It affects us!

Worst of all is that if Anet actually listened to the small open world PvP minority and redesigned lore and environments to cater for those special needs we would soon see that community DEMAND higher/different rewards “because PvP-servers involve higher risk”. (Have seen this happen quite a few times once people on PvP servers realize that the PvE servers are thriving while the PvP servers slowly die.)

But yes: If people define a functional game by having LFG/trinity/specific guild UI, they might as well look at some of the games that already have those features.
That is quite a bit besides the point though, because what you mention is mostly support/UI features. Open world PvP is a complete rewrite!

in PvP

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

Well, I miss world pvp badly, lovely ganking and griefing, what can be better?

And that’s exactly the reason it will never, ever, be implemented.

Having guesting available, you are not required to go to an Open PvP server, so why can’t this be considered?

I seriously do not understand why a lot of players HATE the idea of dueling or open PvP, and don’t compare WvW to Open PvP because they are NOT the same.

I -STILL- don’t see why WvW isn’t open world PVP.

It’s basically flagging yourself in an open PVE world. Complete with “PVP Dungeons,” Bosses, Skill Points, Gathering Nodes, Crafting, ect. The ONLY difference between WvW and a “real” open world PVP is that everyone is about the same stat wise.

Stop complaining and que for WvW.

in PvP

Posted by: CrazyDuck.4610

CrazyDuck.4610

In gaming’s 15+ year history:

Consensual open world pvp and guild vs guild has been the most fun and popular with the majority. Or at least a separate server for it. I prefer the original concept. In my opinion, GW2 pvp using a strictly game controlled instanced scenario based gameplay is not as fun as open world player controlled.

But i do not think Anet will ever change their design of pvp/WvW, because its been a main feature of gw1 and gw2.

Thank you! And as for another post saying it wont “profit” for Anet. Some of the most popular games/servers in MMORPG currently are all PVP servers.

YouWish – Guard
DragonBrand – [Agg] Aggression

in PvP

CrazyDuck.4610

It confuses me why PvE only players would have anything against the existence of a type of server where they wouldn’t have to play. It wouldn’t affect you in the slightest.

And the old “there’s games already out there that cater for your particular play style”…. There’s games out there that have working LFG tools, that have working Guild UI interfaces, that have dungeons where the norm is to play the encounters and not to exploit them, should we all migrate en mass to those games as well?

It confuses me why some people actually seem to believe that running 2 completely different rulesets on servers that just look alike is as easy as flicking a switch?

Ressources spent on developing a niche feature = Less ressources for the rest of us = It affects us!

Worst of all is that if Anet actually listened to the small open world PvP minority and redesigned lore and environments to cater for those special needs we would soon see that community DEMAND higher/different rewards “because PvP-servers involve higher risk”. (Have seen this happen quite a few times once people on PvP servers realize that the PvE servers are thriving while the PvP servers slowly die.)

But yes: If people define a functional game by having LFG/trinity/specific guild UI, they might as well look at some of the games that already have those features.
That is quite a bit besides the point though, because what you mention is mostly support/UI features. Open world PvP is a complete rewrite!

I understand it would take extra work. And if that’s the problem charge us to play on the PVP servers. I honestly wouldn’t mind paying 5-10 a month or a one time payment to get onto an open PVP server.

YouWish – Guard

(edited by CrazyDuck.4610)

in PvP

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I can see it now. Anet decides to bow to “the majority”, and creates and open world PvP server and calls Grenth’s Bloodbath
All the “hardcore” PvPers flock to it.
How, exactly, would this not decimate WvW to where they are the only server that plays WvW?

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

in PvP

Posted by: goldi.3129

goldi.3129

Ganking is the lowest form of PvP there is.

I hope to never see it in Guild Wars 2.

Agreed. Open World PvP is -more often than not- the dream of the people who simply don’t want to fight fair.
Those people usually wait, until their victim is engaged in combat and than jump him.

If you have spend time on a WoW PvP Server in the days when you couldn’t visit certain instances as they were camped by complete raids, slaughtering everything in side, rogues spawn camping other players at the graveyard till they logged off or played a full loot game you know what kind of community such an environment usually breeds.
If thats what anyone wants, those people should search the adequate game- they are out there, but they are not anywhere as popular as the games where people play in what some name “carebearer” mode. That alone should be a clear sign, what the majority enjoys.

in PvP

goldi.3129

In gaming’s 15+ year history:

Consensual open world pvp and guild vs guild has been the most fun and popular with the majority. Or at least a separate server for it. I prefer the original concept. In my opinion, GW2 pvp using a strictly game controlled instanced scenario based gameplay is not as fun as open world player controlled.

But i do not think Anet will ever change their design of pvp/WvW, because its been a main feature of gw1 and gw2.

Thank you! And as for another post saying it wont “profit” for Anet. Some of the most popular games/servers in MMORPG currently are all PVP servers.

Examples of those please?

in PvP

Posted by: Spendingallmytime.7249

Spendingallmytime.7249

If WvW is considered part of PvE (we have to finish those maps for full map completion), wouldn’t that technically make it open world PvP?

Why you bein’ cute?

in PvP

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

ANet filled the “PvP in an environment where there is also combat with NPC’s” niche when they created WvW. I don’t believe they would consider doing the work necessary to change a copy of the open world to make a “PvP server.” Doing it right would divert a lot of resources for a fairly long time. Like most MMO’s, their development team is likely to be smaller than it was pre-launch, and those resources need to be working on content and features that will satisfy the player-base as a whole.

While I’m sorry that some players don’t find that WvW “scratches the itch” for them, I am afraid they will have to make do.

in PvP

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

The devs have already stated that open world PvP has not been considered, nor is it likely that it ever will be.

in PvP

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

If you want open world PvP go to WvW.

To those who dont understand the difference between WvW & Open World Pvp.
Lemme explain…

WvW is an Instance Pvp. Similar to sPvP only on a Huge Scale.
Anyone could pop out (out of combat) and hop back to the Main World anytime.
And live happily ever after.

Open World Pvp is in the Main World itself where Pvp (Player vs Player) could happen at any place, at any time. And there is no way you could pop out to another World.
So either Fight or Run Run RUN!!!
Just an example of an Open World Pvp.

(edited by Jabronee.9465)

in PvP

Posted by: Kithzyan.5034

Kithzyan.5034

Okay! So in response to those claiming open world PvP is what the majority wants, heres some actual data. This is the WoW server populations as of right now and it does not look good in your favour…

Normal (PvE World + Instanced PvP)
New Players (Lowest): 1
Low: 0
Medium: 96
High: 9
Full: 2
TOTAL: 108

PvP (Open World PvP + Instanced Pvp)
Low: 47
Medium: 35
High: 8
Full: 4
TOTAL: 95

So not only are there more PvE servers than PvP servers, but a notable number of the PvE servers have a higher population than PvP; while there are obviously still a good number of PvP players, the PvE players very much outnumber them.

Just to assign a little metric to them, if you assume a new/low pop server is worth 1, medium 2, high 3 and full 4 points, you’d get:

PvE: 1 + 192 + 27 + 8 = 228
PvP: 48 + 70 + 24 + 16 = 158

So, do tell me about the majority wanting open world PvP again :>

Also, to reply to Warjin on his comments about open world PvP. Yes, AC1 did have Darktide (which I already pointed out), and yes it was quite popular. It was also the -only- server out of 9 that had open world PvP and you can’t honestly believe that the people on Darktide outnumbers the combined population of all the other servers. The same argument can be made for the Zek’s and the other EQ servers, same again for Mordred in DAoC and all the others. Just because the handful of open world servers were highly populated does not give them a larger weight than the much larger number of (mostly) highly populated PvE shards.

(edited by Kithzyan.5034)

in PvP

Posted by: Darque Intent.1674

Darque Intent.1674

I’m guessing it was considered, that’s why it’s not in this game outside of WvW.

The first time I heard about open world pvp it sounded like a really cool idea to me, but having played WoW, Aoin and Vanguard, I can honestly say it’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever encountered in something that calls itself a game.

And I’m sure WvW is feeling like a bit of a joke to me for similar reasons.

Sadly these pvp fanatics and elite guilds have yet to have a game made for or by them so we can tell them what we think of a game that involves getting hit in the head by a dump truck, becuase players don’t take anything but the drama they cause seriously. The fact there are two teams should at least mean that there are two teams, not just you, your mate on skype and the poor unwitting victim that’s trying to “play the game”.

Insert speculation here

And I kinda blame that attitude for turning most FPS games into a hack-fest, becuase they don’t want to play the game, they don’t know how… Pew Pew lazorz! I pawnzor! yoo Nubs! /Tea bags your scrunched up face! HAHAHAHAH! OMG DID YOU, yes YOU see that? LOL… what a noob…

Honestly… Stop sucking your thumbs and play the games how they are ment to be played. If you need a fix of open world pvp, go outside and squash an ant, and maybe say, “HEAD SHOT!! Damage? MORE THAN 9000!!!!”. And maybe record yourself doing it, watch it later, and see if it’s as impressive as the virtual equivalent.

(Sorry I’m a bit tired, but I’m going to hit enter anyway.)((And then post)).

All hail Emperor Anet, and their new clothes!

in PvP

Posted by: Glovebox.5724

Glovebox.5724

No. Simply because if it was open world PVP.. It would essentially be a free for all.

in PvP

Posted by: pinkbunnies.4620

pinkbunnies.4620

IF they ever did this then the FIRST thing youd see is level 80 players in full exotics one shotting fresh level one characters.

This would be the absuolute best way to ruin the game for all new players.

so i say no.

in PvP

Posted by: Hantu.2815

Hantu.2815

POsted from an older thread i started a while ago:

Hello, I am an old time GW1 player, and have played many other MMOs. I am very happy with GW2, I think that it is the best game on the market currently. The only thing that it is lacking in my view is a open world PvP server available. One of the MMOs I played previously (the main other one) is Lineage 2. While it is a horrible game, very little PVE content, very gear dependant, destroyed economy, one thing that keeps players there is open world PvP, which adds a very special thrill to the game, whether you are looking for kills, defending yourself or playing with server’s “politics”.
It could add some twists such as guilds fighting over dragons, over dungeon access, or just for fun.
Why do I think that an open PvP server would work in GW2:
- It would add some spice to map of the game, weather you and your guild is defending access to a dungeon or if you are playing as a “hunter” or exploring and running into a member of an enemy guild. People would enjoy PvP would enjoy this.
- The max level and gear is very easy to get, and the game is not very heavily gear dependant anyways. The level correction in areas solves the level gap.
- The level correction in areas that are below 80 would prevent high level players from dominating a lower level spot or jumping unsuspecting level 20s.
- The general combat system is great for such thing
- The code for this is almost done, the staff would just have to tweak the code used in WvsW.
- Somewhat like in Factions, guilds could own towns and fight over them once a week or so (kind of like sieges on a castle). They would get guild rep from this, but the town would remain accessible for others (for personal story, NPCs, way points etc)
How it would work to make it fair to the newbie:
- On selecting server a big warning pop up would come up warning the player that this is an open pvp server, and if they do not want it they can choose any other of the current GW2 servers
- No pvp inside of towns unless it is in the weekly siege state. In that case the way points would become contested.
- No pvp in starting areas (such as Queensdale on the human side)
- Some kind of penalty for killing a target who is not defending himself (in L2 there was negative Karma, which would make you an open target to kill to anyone. Also, if you have negative Karma NPCs would not talk to you or offer services) and some kind of way to remove it (trade in positive Karma or do some quest, Im sure Anet can think of something else as well)
- Guild wars system, where if a guild wants to PvP more, they can declare a war on another guild (amount of wars is limited) and if the other declares war back, they are open to kill each other at all times with no negative re-precautions.
Why WvsW does’t do it?
- It is too Zerg based. People do not go there unless they intend to do nothing but PvP, which burns the player out of it quicker
- It does not have the thrill of open PvP, which is created by surprise or the joy of hunting a target.
- There is nothing personal about it, while in open world PvP everything becomes personal very quick. One random kill can affect the server’s politics and quickly create enemies as well as friendship among players.

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I can see it now. Anet decides to bow to “the majority”, and creates and open world PvP server and calls Grenth’s Bloodbath
All the “hardcore” PvPers flock to it.
How, exactly, would this not decimate WvW to where they are the only server that plays WvW?

Oh, that’s simple. Only griefers would move to the PvP servers – and then they would scream bloody murder after noticing they have noone to grief (because everyone else stayed in PvE environment).
The people that want open PvP are not the same that play WvW. The second group is interested in competition, while the first wants to prey on unsuspecting (and preferably defenceless) victims.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in PvP

Posted by: Uncle Salty.6342

Uncle Salty.6342

Can you imagine the amount of additional QQ if this was implemented.

And as precedence serves, Anet doesn’t quite have the knack of implementing things properly.

Like baked potatoes without the sour cream and bacon.

in PvP

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

If you want that, go play a wonderful Korean game called Ragnarok Online (with high drop and Exp rates and rare rares) so you can be ready to be killed at any given moment. There are free servers that offer this. Its a good game even though its over 15 years old.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

in PvP

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

It’s a beautiful morning in Queensdale. You’re out squishing spider egg sacks to help farmer Eda make apple pies. Suddenly a Thief invader pops out from the shadows and stabs you in the face.

Eda will not get to make her apple pies.

in PvP

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I could see open pvp zones that would let you fight other ppl as is wvw is a good build to let them put in new maps. I do not think we will see open pvp servers.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in PvP

Posted by: Halandir.3609

Halandir.3609

It’s a beautiful morning in Queensdale. You’re out squishing spider egg sacks to help farmer Eda make apple pies. Suddenly a Thief invader pops out from the shadows and stabs you in the face.

Eda will not get to make her apple pies.

Hehe… For some sad reason this was a flashback to the amazingly succesful: Aion – Tower of free2play… Only it was 2 assasins and 1 ranger. OW PvP rule no. 1: Never engage an enemy at 10% health unless you have 2x backup!

in PvP

Jabronee.9465

/sigh..
Thats why it is called PvP Servers as the title says.
lol love to see people freaking out where it got nothing to do with their servers
Its for those people who love that kinda Pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Initially I thought open world PvP and thought that is precisely WvWvW. Then I realised the one thing its missing is alot of casuals to pick on. I can’t see anything positives coming from a different version that aren’t already available in WvWvW.

in PvP

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The people that want open PvP are not the same that play WvW. The second group is interested in competition, while the first wants to prey on unsuspecting (and preferably defenceless) victims.

Y’know, I keep seeing people who post asking for a PvP server saying they, “Like the thrill of the hunt.” they “Like the tension inherent in never knowing if they are going to be attacked.” and similar things. I’d like to believe them.

I’ve played several games that had open PvP. In all that play time, I was attacked:

• Innumerable times by players high enough in level that I was no threat to them.
  • Many times by players who had a 2 or 3 to 1 advantage.
  • Many times when a mob had me at low health and with CD’s expended.
  • Several times while rezzing in at spawn points, so half or more of my health was gone before my screen cleared.
  • Never (outside of duels with guild members) when it was a fair fight.

So, based on my experience, I’d have to say that your description fits at least some of them. Still, while I wouldn’t object to a PvP server “over there somewhere.” I definitely do object to the devs committing the resources to implement one when those resources could be used on stuff I do care about.

in PvP

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

the only thing that closely resembles open world PVP is the EB jumping puzzle… outside its just masses of zergs and lag and culling.. not fun, but in the jumping pizzle the smaller fights are much more fun and more opportunity to 1v1

in PvP

Conncept.7638

/sigh..
lol love to see people freaking out where it got nothing to do with their servers

That’s the point, people that love that kind of PvP for the challenge already have WvW.

And people who love it because they get their kicks from abusing people will have no reason to play. Which is great since the rest of us don’t want them around anyway. I personally don’t even care that they wouldn’t be on the same server as me, I don’t even want to be associated with a company that serves them or a community they take part in.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in PvP

Hantu.2815

To those who say the WvW is the PvP challenge: To the majority, It is running with a zerg, spamming 1 and hope an enemy zerg is not hidden in culling on top of you.

in PvP

Conncept.7638

To those who say the WvW is the PvP challenge: To the majority, It is running with a zerg, spamming 1 and hope an enemy zerg is not hidden in culling on top of you.

Yes we’re all aware of it’s current problems. However it is intended to be GW2’s version of open world PvP, whether it currently fulfills that or not. But either way the developers aren’t going to give up on it or replace it with GankPvP, and in spite of WvW’s many problems, I don’t believe most players would want them to.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in PvP

CrazyDuck.4610

Agreed. Open World PvP is -more often than not- the dream of the people who simply don’t want to fight fair.
Those people usually wait, until their victim is engaged in combat and than jump him.

If you have spend time on a WoW PvP Server in the days when you couldn’t visit certain instances as they were camped by complete raids, slaughtering everything in side, rogues spawn camping other players at the graveyard till they logged off or played a full loot game you know what kind of community such an environment usually breeds.
If thats what anyone wants, those people should search the adequate game- they are out there, but they are not anywhere as popular as the games where people play in what some name “carebearer” mode. That alone should be a clear sign, what the majority enjoys.

Honestly I like when I’m attacked by a person around my level because it takes more skill 1 on 1 then WvW. And those days with WoW made the game that much better and exciting! Call for reinforcements, take down the enemies. But again, “carebears” can’t see this logic.

YouWish – Guard

in PvP

CrazyDuck.4610

IF they ever did this then the FIRST thing youd see is level 80 players in full exotics one shotting fresh level one characters.

so i say no.

Again read what I posted earlier, it’s not very hard to implement LEVEL caps on who you can attack. Or how it is now lowers your level in certain areas anyways, so you wouldn’t be able to have an advantage.

YouWish – Guard

in PvP

CrazyDuck.4610

And again, look at past games such as WoW. PVP servers are very popular, if you don’t like to play in this type of atmosphere then join PVE, simple as that. Why should this be any different from GW2, it’s almost like I’m saying every server should be PVP.

YouWish – Guard

in PvP

Hantu.2815

so i say no.

Again read what I posted earlier, it’s not very hard to implement LEVEL caps on who you can attack. Or how it is now lowers your level in certain areas anyways, so you wouldn’t be able to have an advantage.

TO top it there is already a system that could prevent this kind of grieving, level correction in areas. one level 80 may very well overpower a level 2, but 3 level 2s will overpower the level 80 that is level corrected to level 2.

in PvP

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

I seriously do not understand why a lot of players HATE the idea of dueling or open PvP, and don’t compare WvW to Open PvP because they are NOT the same.

See, it works both ways, I do not understand why a lot of people like the idea of open PvP, it’s meaningless ganking/griefing, nothing more, nothing less.

Not in this case, because with guesting available it is optional whether or not you want to be on an open PvP server. Along with the bonus of leaving it anytime you want, don’t want to put up with it? Then don’t, you don’t have to.

in PvP

Jabronee.9465

/sigh..

That’s the point, people that love that kind of PvP for the challenge already have WvW.

/sigh another one who never seem to understand the difference between Open World Pvp and WvW. Scroll up please or just read the cut & paste explanation below from my previous post…

Lemme explain…
Open World Pvp is in the Main World itself where Pvp (Player vs Player) could happen at any place, at any time. And there is no way you could pop out to another World.

Still cant see the picture? Play those mmos with Pvp Servers and you will see the difference.

in PvP

Kaizer.7135

I just dont understand why you just ignore wvw. All the aspects of open world pvp are there. There is always toons runnin around solo trying to get map completion that you can gank. Why have seperate servers when they made wvw for this type of player.

It’s not for ganking and I have spent 80% of my time in WvW ever since I’ve gotten level80. Playing on the same map is boring, playing against the same servers is boring, zerg vs zerg is boring. WvW has low rewards, minimal satisfaction from kills and is REALLY repetitive when you play the same map with the same servers every single week.

What’s wrong with having more options?

in PvP

Jabronee.9465

I just dont understand why you just ignore wvw. All the aspects of open world pvp are there. There is always toons runnin around solo trying to get map completion that you can gank. Why have seperate servers when they made wvw for this type of player.

It’s not for ganking and I have spent 80% of my time in WvW ever since I’ve gotten level80. Playing on the same map is boring, playing against the same servers is boring, zerg vs zerg is boring. WvW has low rewards, minimal satisfaction from kills and is REALLY repetitive when you play the same map with the same servers every single week.

What’s wrong with having more options?

Exactly!
Pvp on the Main Map, The World map is Open World Pvp!
WvW is not an Owpvp cause it IS an Instance Pvp similar to sPvp.
I’m really amazed that tons of GW2 players cant see the difference at all.

(edited by Jabronee.9465)

in PvP

CrazyDuck.4610

Thank you for people supporting the cause and trying to explain the massive difference between open world PVP and WvW

YouWish – Guard

in PvP

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

You don’t want a PvE map, you don’t want WvW because it has too many people in groups. You want to create a PvP map out of all the PvE maps. Why do you think they created WvW? If it is not pvp enough there are games like Rift, Alloids, WoW so no lack of choice. Since as has been posted these shards are hugely popular there will be no problems for you to find the competition you desire. You can also /sigh in chat all you want and get lots of attention.

in PvP

Kaizer.7135

You don’t want a PvE map, you don’t want WvW because it has too many people in groups. You want to create a PvP map out of all the PvE maps. Why do you think they created WvW? If it is not pvp enough there are games like Rift, Alloids, WoW so no lack of choice. Since as has been posted these shards are hugely popular there will be no problems for you to find the competition you desire. You can also /sigh in chat all you want and get lots of attention.

I play Gw2 because it isn’t all about grinding, and end tier gear isn’t so time consuming to obtain. If there were a game that had the same mechanics as Gw2, same horizontal (mostly) progression and open world PvP then I would gladly buy that game until Gw2 released an expansion or until new content is added. Anyway, it isn’t like we dislike WvW. I love it, it’s the closest thing to open world pvp in this game. But it gets old REALLY fast, if we were able to take PvP to PvE maps, think of all the variety.

Maybe you should open up your mind a little bit.

in PvP

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

/sigh..

/sigh another one who never seem to understand the difference between Open World Pvp and WvW. Scroll up please or just read the cut & paste explanation below from my previous post…

Lemme explain…

Still cant see the picture? Play those mmos with Pvp Servers and you will see the difference.

um, they can jump to another map. its called wvw or heart of the mists. or, for that matter, just wp away.

in PvP

goldi.3129

Honestly I like when I’m attacked by a person around my level because it takes more skill 1 on 1 then WvW. And those days with WoW made the game that much better and exciting! Call for reinforcements, take down the enemies. But again, “carebears” can’t see this logic.

Nope you don’t. What you describe is a duel.
That is not what is happening at open world PvP and has nothing to do with “carebears” but wannabes who get their kicks of ganking and griefing and only attacking when they KNOW that the odds are wastly in their favor. Usually the people who fail against even odds.
THAT is the majority of the people who play open world pvp- they don’t do it for the challenge or anything but to grief others. Take a look at a random PvP Server WoW Forum and you’ll see the threads that are up there and what character the people display.
And if you (like me) have played a few years on a PvP server you probably know the tone thats in the chat in the zones.

in PvP

CrazyDuck.4610

That is not what is happening at open world PvP and has nothing to do with “carebears” but wannabes who get their kicks of ganking and griefing and only attacking when they KNOW that the odds are wastly in their favor. Usually the people who fail against even odds.
THAT is the majority of the people who play open world pvp- they don’t do it for the challenge or anything but to grief others. Take a look at a random PvP Server WoW Forum and you’ll see the threads that are up there and what character the people display.
And if you (like me) have played a few years on a PvP server you probably know the tone thats in the chat in the zones.

Again I understand your point of view, but PVP servers should still be an option. Open PVP brings more action, more excitement, and yes of course frustration. But I would rather be frustrated and trying to fight back, maybe get some guild members involved etc, then running around looking for things to do or relying on WvW which gets boring. The most fun in PVP I have had was open world, one guy gets griefed then brings his entire guild into play. Then the others do the same, it becomes “Guild wars” in an open field that isn’t structured and not knowing what to expect.

YouWish – Guard

in PvP

goldi.3129

Again I understand your point of view, but PVP servers should still be an option. Open PVP brings more action, more excitement, and yes of course frustration. But I would rather be frustrated and trying to fight back, maybe get some guild members involved etc, then running around looking for things to do or relying on WvW which gets boring. The most fun in PVP I have had was open world, one guy gets griefed then brings his entire guild into play. Then the others do the same, it becomes “Guild wars” in an open field that isn’t structured and not knowing what to expect.

Guild wars in that meaning would mean for me (and the guilds running in WvWvW as seen in the last week of bracket 1 europe) that guilds challenge each other on equal meanings and equal footings in an even way. This game offers a lot of PvP that is -class balance and culling asside- usually on equal footings (thats what the wvw brackets are for to sort popwise etc).
In your example superior numbers would always be a heavy influecing factor. In a controlled environment you have equal fights that are based around tactics and skill- nothing more. Thats what competitive PvPers want.

in PvP

Posted by: Folk.2093

Folk.2093

I liked FFA PVP, played it on several other MMO’s but alas; games have moved to RvR style PVP.

Could they implement it here? Probably? But would that sever even have WvW and sieging? Or would people just fight in zones? (that’d get stale after a while) OPen zones just aren’t used in this game.

If they made the WvW free for all then it’d be more like guild vs guild so the numbers in fights would be smaller; so it’d be like being in a T8 or T7 server. So then what would be the point?

Yeah I like free for all pvp but this game just isn’t made to take advantage of the fun that kind of world brings; it’d be a waste of time.

in PvP

Posted by: Ooshi.8607

Ooshi.8607

Okay! So in response to those claiming open world PvP is what the majority wants, heres some actual data. This is the WoW server populations as of right now and it does not look good in your favour…

So not only are there more PvE servers than PvP servers, but a notable number of the PvE servers have a higher population than PvP; while there are obviously still a good number of PvP players, the PvE players very much outnumber them.

Just to assign a little metric to them, if you assume a new/low pop server is worth 1, medium 2, high 3 and full 4 points, you’d get:

Using your numbers I wouldn’t disregard what 40% of the population want. Thank you for proving that in fact PvPErs are not a small vocal minority and that in fact are a substantial part of at least that game’s overall population.
I wonder if the same thing would apply to GW’s population or if magically GW only attracts one type of player. Judging by the popularity of WvW I do not think so.
And for a company that gave us dynamic events and level scaling I do not think it would be beyond their capabilities to create a system that prevented or punished low level (newb) ganking.
As for attacking someone while they are already attacking a mob…. it’s terrible that your enemy will not send you a mail in advance stating that they are about to attack you. And then again, those situations don’t go every time in favor of the ganker. There’s no better feeling that by your skills alone to gank the ganker.

in PvP

Posted by: Darque Intent.1674

Darque Intent.1674

Since this isn’t a proper disscussion and none of the Open world PvPers can come up with a way to intergrate and improve on a system that’s stupid, I’ll point something else out from my extensive expirience with both games and people.

When I was younger I had a Snes, I had an F1 racing game and I also had a little sister. My little sister would sometimes whine and stamp her feet because she wanted to play the game I was playing, but it was only sngle player, and I was enjoying trying to get better at it. So from pressure from the parents and her insesant whining I let her play.

What she did next up-set me no end… Insted of playing the game, she drove off into the barrier and when asked what she was doing the reply was “shopping.”.

Open world pvp in this game would be like tryng to go shopping while playing an F1 game, unless they changed the Lore of the game and how OWPVP worked. But from these posts, I can see no-one really cares about what the game is in favor of what they want. The problem is you have to go out of your way to miss the point and act innocent. What we are talking about is commen sense.

Why should we accept people who aren’t mature enough to play a game with others within the rules of the game?

The tension in open world PvP is quite good, until you realise you dieing again is inevitable. I remember occasions where I beat some player about my level just to have their alt or their mate turn up with a fully geared fully leveld ant squasher. Never mind the times when I would see some guy on “my side” run off just before getting hit in the back of the head while trying to do some stupid quest.

If you don’t like WvW because of the zergs, blame the pvp mentality, it’s got very little to do with the carebares. The fact that you hide behind your keybords and act like you have no idea what we are talking about is absured, and makes about as much sense as getting your jollys through a system that amounts to a combination of virtual mugging kitten and rewards people for it.

As I said before if you are looking for this kind of thrill go kill an ant. If that seems silly and too easy, without any risk /reward, why not go mug an old lady…

And people who don’t understand logic shouldn’t comment on it’s percived use… Your ego is not God, and you’re not as smart as you think you are. Stop telling me how stupid you are while asking me to take you seriously.

All hail Emperor Anet, and their new clothes!

in PvP

goldi.3129

Using your numbers I wouldn’t disregard what 40% of the population want. Thank you for proving that in fact PvPErs are not a small vocal minority and that in fact are a substantial part of at least that game’s overall population.
I wonder if the same thing would apply to GW’s population or if magically GW only attracts one type of player. Judging by the popularity of WvW I do not think so.
And for a company that gave us dynamic events and level scaling I do not think it would be beyond their capabilities to create a system that prevented or punished low level (newb) ganking.
As for attacking someone while they are already attacking a mob…. it’s terrible that your enemy will not send you a mail in advance stating that they are about to attack you. And then again, those situations don’t go every time in favor of the ganker. There’s no better feeling that by your skills alone to gank the ganker.

100% of the GW2 pop did not want Open World PvP by that logic- as they came to this game knowing exactly what to expect?
I’d also never call someone a PvPer whos just out in the open world. Those are gankers and griefers sry- the quote of you attacking another player whos already infight show it.
It probably never got into you to wait till he is on equal footing with you and than attack him.
If you like Open PvP no problem with that- go to a game where you can have it, to a server where you can expect it.

in PvP

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

It’s been asked, discussed, asked again, discussed again over and over and the answer is always the same.
OK, I change my mind. I am in favor of open world PvP servers, just so I don’t have to keep seeing this same subject posted over and over and over again.

Hint: There is a white box at the top of the page with a small magnifying glass on the right side.