[merged] The Skyhammer Thread

in PvP

Posted by: entropy.9613

entropy.9613

It’s a simple fix really…they already have it in place. Why not let those who don’t want to play it, not have to play it?

So, by the same token, we should let people who only want to play Skyhammer, only play Skyhammer?

Maybe we should let people turn off condition damage, too.

in PvP

Posted by: Hyperion.4638

Hyperion.4638

The only real fix is just to remove if from solo tourny, if the devs realized this is not team tourny material they should know its not solo material either, having it in solo makes it even worse, when ur a team at least you can coordinate who goes where who does what in solo its not that simple.

in PvP

Posted by: Wintel.4873

Wintel.4873

1) The fact that Skyhammer was removed from Team Queue means ArenaNet already admitted that the map is a joke for any kind of rated/tournament PvP. If the developers THEMSELVES know the map is terrible, who the hell is anyone to say otherwise?

2) Raid Of The Capricorn was removed from both Solo & Team Queue a long time ago because ArenaNet knew it was terrible for rated/tournament PvP. Skyhammer is far worse.

3) SO WHY IS SKYHAMMER STILL IN SOLO QUEUE WHEN IT GOT REMOVED FROM TEAM QUEUE SO LONG AGO???

4) Keep Skyhammer in the game as part of Hotjoin. It’s a unique map that allows for extreme trolling, has instant-death glitch and as such belongs in Hotjoin.

in PvP

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Can we get an ETA on when it will be removed or some option to not play this dribbling mess?

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in PvP

entropy.9613

Also, please give ETA on when condition damage will be removed or some option to not play against necros.

Don’t make me have to make a new thread.

in PvP

Writetyper.1985

Also, please give ETA on when condition damage will be removed or some option to not play against necros.

Don’t make me have to make a new thread.

Necros are part of the game. Super Smash Bros Brawl is not.

really bad engineer

(edited by Writetyper.1985)

in PvP

entropy.9613

Necros are part of the game. Like Skyhammer.

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Treat it as red resign and just let blue win by all gathering at B and jump off.
No, this is not a farm.. just a way to get this mapover with as soon as possible.

If all adhere to this gentlemans agreement we might get this map “fixed”

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in PvP

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

There isn’t any problem with this map. It’s fully functional. It’s just the players that whine because they can get knocked down a pit.

in PvP

Posted by: Harrier.9380

Harrier.9380

I guess people complain about Skyhammer because rolling their face on keyboard with fotm build is not enough. You actually need a brain to not get outplayed and avoid long drop and sudden stop.

“Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit,
because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure.”

in PvP

Posted by: Wintel.4873

Wintel.4873

@ Skyhammer fans – can you please tell me why ANet removed Skyhammer from Team Queue shortly after that map was released?

Give me an honest answer. Thanks.

in PvP

Writetyper.1985

There isn’t any problem with this map. It’s fully functional. It’s just the players that whine because they can get knocked down a pit.

Anet themselves said that the map is not suitable for tPvP. It is not in team queue.

really bad engineer

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Prolly because some tpvp players with friends in high places asked the map be removed from tpvp asap. Would make most sense, at least.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

in PvP

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

I guess people complain about Skyhammer because rolling their face on keyboard with fotm build is not enough. You actually need a brain to not get outplayed and avoid long drop and sudden stop.

Actually rolling your face on keyboard with fotm build is the best strategy for Skyhammer.

Ain’t not like they’ll avoid anything on those narrow ledges.XD

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in PvP

Posted by: MrCyrus.5036

MrCyrus.5036

if you can not play with different builds…just leave PvP please.. SKYHAMMER ONE OF THE BEST MAP EVER.

Titanium [AFK]

in PvP

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

Please remove this map from solo queue now. You removed it from team queue because it’s not a competitive map, then why would you force it on us in solo queue?

^This.

in PvP

Posted by: Harrier.9380

Harrier.9380

Actually rolling your face on keyboard with fotm build is the best strategy for Skyhammer.

Ain’t not like they’ll avoid anything on those narrow ledges.XD

Well played, sir, well played.

“Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit,
because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure.”

in PvP

Posted by: Xaos.3257

Xaos.3257

I’m playing an ele, skyhammer is not so bad by itself, but the BUGS that that map have is the least annoying.
Its true that if you are veeeeryyy carefull with your position and you are in an 1v1 situation, even if you have not a cheese knockdown / throw / pull / build you can be decent.
BUT if you have a 0.5 sec lag, if one of the panels bugged or something else buggs then you are screwed. In one time a thief ( i think it was scorpion wire ) pull me, i was launched to the air and the thief with me, i was landed safely and the thief died ! It was a proud moment for me but a very bad moment for the game

Elementalist – Necromancer

in PvP

Posted by: Ritor.5260

Ritor.5260

Hate this map, it is broken

in PvP

Posted by: JETWING.2759

JETWING.2759

Hate this map, it is broken

+1

…………………………..

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

Its literally one of the worst incarnations of a pvp map to date. Cheesy one shotmoves have no place in competetive pvp. Its like a minigame pushed in to the regular map rotations.

The hilarious part is that pre release they where estatic about this map. They tested it internally and this was going to be the next best thing. My question is “who are testing these maps?” and “how do we know this whont happen again?”

They need a group of experienced multigame esports players (like myself) / players that have extensive crossgame pvp experience. Guys that have seen succes and failures and know what it takes to make a good maplayout and a good pvpmode with (secondary) objectives that add to the enjoyment of the players instead of annoying the kitten out of people.

I whont spend a single euro in the gemstore untill this map is out of the soloq rotation (or it gets altered to make it more enjoyable).

(edited by Locuz.2651)

in PvP

Posted by: Andyzorr.2175

Andyzorr.2175

Why this kitten kittened map is still in the game? I need answer Anet!

in PvP

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Try reading the hundreds of other complaint threads about it.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in PvP

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

Skyhammer will never be removed becouse it is work of sb in arena net.

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

in PvP

Posted by: Gordok.2146

Gordok.2146

How can they not understand what a kick in the teeth seeing Skyhammer is for any honest player? All of us that played tourney’s while cheaters exploited Skyhammer to gain what took us a year in a little over a month? A team that cared about the honest players would of removed skyhammer from all play until they had a fix and punished the exploiters. This team kept the map in rotation letting the exploiters have their cake and eat it too.

I quit before the changes to rewards and personally I dont see any reason to come back when the team developing the game I thought I would love makes decisions like this. How am I supposed to trust that they will ever make changes with the honest pvp’r in mind?

All is Vain.

(edited by Gordok.2146)

in PvP

Posted by: Acandis.3250

Acandis.3250

How can they not understand what a kick in the teeth seeing Skyhammer is for any honest player? All of us that played tourney’s while cheaters exploited Skyhammer to gain what took us a year in a little over a month? Guild wars 1 team would of removed skyhammer from all play until they had a fix and punished the exploiters. This team kept the map in rotation letting the exploiters have their cake and eat it too.

I quit before the changes to rewards and personally I dont see any reason to come back when the team developing the game I thought I would love makes decisions like this. How am I supposed to trust that they will ever make changes with the honest pvp’r in mind?

This is a very good point. How can we trust that an organization that’s let such a buggy and abuseable map available and randomly selected in a ranked queue, make further decisions about the wellbeing of the game. We can’t.

Simply put, I think you guys have only kept the map in rotation out of pity for the designers with no regard for the people that actually have to play this atrocity of a map every day.

Once again you are unhealthily catering to the smallest minority and flicking off the rest of us.

I refuse to play a map that might cause either team to lose because any of the number of bugs in this map might prevent any player from actually playing the match.

You are delusional if you think such a map should be in rotation for a RANKED GAMETYPE. Why do we have to lose ranking because a bugged map can randomly give any team an irreversible advantage?

The fact that this map has remained in rotation for so long goes to show just how ignorant you guys are about your player community.

in PvP

Posted by: Gunlaugr.2716

Gunlaugr.2716

Your posts generally seem well-informed, but this just reeks of ignorance. You make it sound like the map merely leaves players in the hands of skill. WRONG. There is a huge discrepancy in access to cc and stability between the various classes, and the people who play classes with limited or no cc/stability are left at a major disadvantage.

The terrain and the skyhammer are the two strongest tools on this map. Furthermore, the two are linked, as the fight for skyhammer often comes down to pulling or pushing the opponent over the edge/onto panels (use terrain). This does not belong in soloQ.

in PvP

Posted by: Vuh.1328

Vuh.1328

i’d rtather have raid of the capricorn than skyhammer

Take your time to learn proper keybinding, it’s worth the struggle

in PvP

Posted by: Liam McColgan.7689

Liam McColgan.7689

I don’t know what is kitten ing me off more, the fact ANET see these posts, know how many people hate this map, and yet still think its fine to have as a ranked map…..or the skyhammer its self.

its the fact that the map is so class biased. Just faced 3x necro and an engi team and was impossible.

no matter how hard my team tried to take the skyhammer, dodge fears and knockbacks…they are just too op in a small space such as the skyhammer.

And its stupid the people who say l2p etc….when even just 1 engi and necro with half a brain makes it the most biased map ever, let alone 4 of them!!!

ANET sort it out, its pathetic how you fail to react to the pvp population’s wishes. If you had millions playing pvp then fine, you can afford to be ignorant, but a rapidly declining pvp population means you CANNOT afford to not listen to your customers.

Rage over. Thank god for this ‘let off some steam over this stupid map’ post exists.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Mesmer – 1250+ Ranked tpvp WINS.
– 7772 games played, 5274 games won.
“Nuke or be Nuked” – Said every mesmer ever

(edited by Liam McColgan.7689)

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

It’s a simple fix really…they already have it in place. Why not let those who don’t want to play it, not have to play it?

So, by the same token, we should let people who only want to play Skyhammer, only play Skyhammer?

Maybe we should let people turn off condition damage, too.

Let them only play Skyhammer for all I care. I just don’t want to have to play it. The map is poorly designed. If there are those who enjoy pve’ing, by all means continue to SKYHAMMER to your little hearts out.

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

I see getting outplayed=soak damage until you can use one of your 4 knock backs/pulls/immobilize all the while having to move on and off a point that is being HAMMERED. Yes yes very skillful indeed. My recommendation for this map is to get everyone an instakill button that is on a 40 second cd and let it be the only skill you can use.

in PvP

Posted by: Bambi Is Strong.6083

Bambi Is Strong.6083

Skyham is a great map.
Spirit Temple kittening sucks.

in PvP

Posted by: TNoD.8143

TNoD.8143

day 172: skyhammer still sucks

Lord Vrael [ÆÆÆÆ] – Borlis Pass

in PvP

Posted by: werock.8715

werock.8715

I love Skyhammer being an ELE,,,it’s the only map we have a chance lol

in PvP

Posted by: Andyzorr.2175

Andyzorr.2175

The only one map where low skilled players have a chance.

in PvP

Posted by: Mabuse.2879

Mabuse.2879

Anet should relabel hotjoin “Play Now” to “Join a lost game of Skyhammer”.

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

they should fill everythign with water – so ppl knocked down land in water and have to jump back

in PvP

Posted by: Erzian.5218

Erzian.5218

Whenever people mention gw2 pvp and competitive in the same sentence I have to laugh because even if you are bad (like me) and play at the bottom of the ladder you meet the same people over and over again, which indicates how small the playerbase actually is. If you want to play competitively, you should go play LoL or dota2 or anything but guild wars 2 instead of complaining about skyhammer.

Yes, I like skyhammer; at least it is different from the remaining maps and allows somewhat interaction with the environment besides shadow stepping up and down hills.

In the end solo queue is just random arenas, thus – regardless of the game – not competitive at all; if you think they are, you might as well go play 1D tetris and claim the same. (Don’t come me with ladder rank or similar, you don’t have to be good at this particular game to judge about something that is universal)

(edited by Erzian.5218)

in PvP

Urejt.5648

When Skyhammer will be changed?
I am aware of the patch plan, however i didnt see skyhammer change on the roadmap plan.

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

in PvP

Posted by: Alex.5349

Alex.5349

I’m in for posting this every day if I must. Skyhammer has to be removed from SoloQ, now.

in PvP

Posted by: WickedOTen.3219

WickedOTen.3219

i actually read through all the pages thus far., and after playing skyhammer numerous times now, winning some and losing some, i must say..this map is growing on me. i like how it is different. its not like any of the other maps..maybe thats why ppl are hating on it. maybe its not what they are used to and it can turn ppl off from it.

In a perfect world..we would all get the stomp on that thief the first time…..ok maybe the 2nd time….nvm the 3rd time ..yea the 3rd time is the charm….Okitten here comes his teammate and i barely have any life left after fighting this dam thief. couple of secs later the camera is panning around my lifeless body and the thief (insert your annoying class here) and his buddy dancing around my corpse.

ppl say this map its cheap..and it doesnt require skill, i would say its the exact opposite. this map forces you to know where you are at, what your surrounds are and whos entered and left the fight and what weapon and build they are using. you cannot be ignorant on this map like soo many other maps. you got a ham warrior coming at you bro!?!?! and your back isnt against a wall. Its safe to assume that hes got form of stability trait or skill and hes gonna try this best to make you kiss the sky. and if you both know what you’re doing then its business as usual and then what are ppl QQ about?

i like this because its a different way to play, its a diff way to think. you can play perfectly and u make a innocent mistake and boom..you’re falling with style down to the wurms. To know at any moment you can come back from a fight..and lost a fight just as quick..(i’ve been at both ends) adds a level of uncertainty and danger to any fight. Fights on the skyhammer has been some of my most memorable fights. if you both know what you’re doing, one might try to out damage and one may try to out position the other. its a game of risk up there. One is gonna fall or get stomp. And thats how the cookie crumbles on this map.

props to the devs for making a map that isnt a plain ole jane map.
need more unique ideas like this.
+1

(edited by WickedOTen.3219)

in PvP

Posted by: faeral.7120

faeral.7120

so, the eternal complaint with CC is that players do not have fun losing control of their character for significant periods of time.

ANet solved this problem quite deftly by allowing CCs to simply kill you outright. no more waiting!

in PvP

Posted by: Valleria Darkmoon.4506

Valleria Darkmoon.4506

The edges in Skyhammer no question favor heavy stability builds and knockbacks disproportionately meaning some classes get an advantage automatically but that cuts both ways to some extent. However there is also the cannon that makes the map completely unbalanced. To demonstrate this consider the trebuchets from Battle of Khylo.

Both do comparable damage and allow a player to utilize it to contribute to fights on any point from very far away, so the comparison should be fairly apt.

- Skyhammer gives a bird’s eye view of the map allowing you to see the position of all enemy players at once.

- Skyhammer is point and click doom, combined with the first part this allows you to rain death with near impunity with your god vision.

- Trebuchets have a good line of sight but there are many places the operator can not see and therefore either needs to be fed information from team mates or fire blind.

- Trebuchets are not point and click the operator must judge accurately both line and power to land hits. (since there has been so much mention of player skill, it should be noted that landing hits with a trebuchet requires some degree of skill whereas skyhammer which is stronger in almost all respects is point and click for massive reward with virtually no effort)

- Trebuchet impact area is much smaller than Skyhammer.

- Trebuchets can be destroyed (even if only temporarily and repair kit runners can be stopped).

- MOST IMPORTANTLY: Both teams have a trebuchet which makes it balanced inherently whether it is disproportionately strong or not because if you can do it to them they can do it to you as well. There is only one skyhammer and so it essentially means that losing one fight at skyhammer may well lose you all three points even if your team could have won the fights at all other points. It’s similar to your Queen in Chess. Your Queen is an extremely strong piece but both you and your opponent have one and so it’s the same deal. If you can do something to your opponent with your Queen they can do the same with theirs, meaning it all comes down to who uses their tools better.

If Skyhammer is to stay in map rotation, then the skyhammer needs to be nerfed so that losing 1 of 4 fights on the map doesn’t cause all other fights to be lost as well. Likely by increasing the cooldown (since you can’t miss) and lowering it’s power in most other respects as well. There is good reason for skyhammer not to be in the team arena map rotation. Meanwhile the ONLY reason I can think of to exclude Capricorn from the rotation is underwater combat, which is very annoying with no finishers but it doesn’t even make it into solo queue. Skyhammer being too strong and gimmicky push off builds favoring some classes very clearly over others means there are two good reasons to exclude skyhammer from competitive play.

(edited by Valleria Darkmoon.4506)

in PvP

Posted by: sendmark.4731

sendmark.4731

Please remove from solo que. It’s horrible and deters people from playing. Seems bizarre given all the resources devoted to try and get players to play, that they leave this in when it could so easily be cut.

Sorry that people spent time making it, but it belongs in hotjoin only.

in PvP

Posted by: Silferas.3841

Silferas.3841

Just remove it from solo queue already!

[Path] of the Immortals – a guild for veterans – Join us
[S]illy [L]ittle [U]gly [T]rolls – our little dungeon forum community
“My mind has left, my body follows”

in PvP

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

ppl say this map its cheap..and it doesnt require skill, i would say its the exact opposite. this map forces you to know where you are at, what your surrounds are and whos entered and left the fight and what weapon and build they are using. you cannot be ignorant on this map like soo many other maps. you got a ham warrior coming at you bro!?!?! and your back isnt against a wall. Its safe to assume that hes got form of stability trait or skill and hes gonna try this best to make you kiss the sky. and if you both know what you’re doing then its business as usual and then what are ppl QQ about?

The problem is that in many cases you can’t do anything about being killed even if you do have a reasonable amount of skill and experience on the map.

I remember one time I was trying to take the hammer from the other team, who had a thief running it. We ran in and danced around, I got her half down. Then poof, she disappears. I go to near the entrance which seems like the safest place while I wait for the decloak.

She reappears, casts scorpion wire, I get yanked onto glass and down I go. The whole thing took less than a second, and there’s literally nothing I could have done unless I had been able to instinctively cast one of my very few, very short duration stability mantras.

This is the problem with Skyhammer: there are too many ways to get instant kills that cannot be avoided, and those ways depend too much on what class you are running.

in PvP

Posted by: WickedOTen.3219

WickedOTen.3219

The problem is that in many cases you can’t do anything about being killed even if you do have a reasonable amount of skill and experience on the map.

I remember one time I was trying to take the hammer from the other team, who had a thief running it. We ran in and danced around, I got her half down. Then poof, she disappears. I go to near the entrance which seems like the safest place while I wait for the decloak.

She reappears, casts scorpion wire, I get yanked onto glass and down I go. The whole thing took less than a second, and there’s literally nothing I could have done unless I had been able to instinctively cast one of my very few, very short duration stability mantras.

This is the problem with Skyhammer: there are too many ways to get instant kills that cannot be avoided, and those ways depend too much on what class you are running.

ahhhhh yes. the ninja vanish and pull you to the glass trick. ive fallen prey to that a couple of times. i think this goes back to know who are fightin up there. for a thief, for a class that doesnt have much in the way of cc or stability, is fighting for dat hammer he has the confidence to do so. And if he doesnt have any tricks up his sleeve then its like bring a knife to a gun fight (bwa actually thieves do..i just made a funny teehe!). you have to assume hes gonna scorpion wire at some point when the situation presents its self.

im no uber pvper and i dont pretend to know the ins and outs of classes…but scorpion wire has a 20sec cd and most thieves wont be spec into to tricks. so u got 20secs to do what u gotta do to him for him to potentially use scorpion wire and win da hammer for your team. And when you do out think, out wit and out survive him with your skillful play you will savor the stomp……errr..you can try to savor the stompS on the thief..until his friend Bubba the Hambow warrior decides to check on da hammer just for kicks and giggles and seeing you about do the peoples elbow on his boy runs over and launches you over. ..ahhh kitten, FML.

fyi…one of the worst places to stand when a thief vanishes while fighting for the hammer is your back against the wall. cuz Scrp Wire doesnt knock back…it pulls. IT PULLS!!! you’ll be playing right into his hands if u do that.

in PvP

Urejt.5648

Why Skyhammer map change is not on the top of the list to do?

Iam forced to afk for this map and this map happans 1/5 time so 1/5 is a waste of my and other players time. why?

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

in PvP

Posted by: JohnnyZero.5619

JohnnyZero.5619

I think my favorite thing about Skyhammer is how you can’t dodge the cannon.

That was a nice touch. Really gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside when I try to contest points.

I Lynna I – Thief / Clownshooz – Engineer
Turbo Seksophonic – Ele / Guitar Wolfe – Mesmer
Isle of Janthir

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

I’ve noticed that sometimes, scorpion’s wire isn’t pulling for quite no reason. Whether it’s me using, or an opponent, the target is doing like a 30cm pull and that’s all. No stability, no buffs, nothing up… I don’t really get it..