stronghold: anet, don't think too far

in PvP

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

i always felt like arenanet is trying to mix stuff together with stronghold… a bit of moba.. a bit of gvg.. a bit of this and that.. but nothing real.

please stop trying to be “innovative” when it’s not needed. you have already made what is needed ages ago and nobody asked for anything else.

you have everything at hand and everything is recycleable and only needs a couple of tweaks because of the way gw2 works compared to gw1.

so please do yourselves and the community a favour and have a look at what your company has already made for the players:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_hall#Available_guild_hall_types

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in PvP

Posted by: rEaPeX.8415

rEaPeX.8415

+1

I’d have nothing to say against recycled maps…just use the aesthetic and change some of the functionality…all the time and costs neede for finding concept ideas would be minimized.

For example “Isle of the Dead”: You could actually use this map pretty good for conquest, just put 3 points to capture in there, one at the top, and one before each base (as close points)
For stronghold the same goes: put at the top the supplies and let the npc’s walk another way (or something like this)

But I actually think recycling could improve the map production

R E A P E X – Necromancer – EU

in PvP

Jekkt.6045

recycling maps is something that benefits both players and devs, devs safe ressources and time and the players get more new maps.

blizzard does the same with heroes of the storm, they usually have 1 tileset/layout per 2 maps. so instead of making a new tileset for each map they safe time and money but can still put out 2 mechanically different maps.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

There’s been huge outcry and requests for more game modes, far from nobody, over the years. We just don’t feel as turned on by stronghold as we should

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Jekkt.6045

that’s to be expected after 3 years of conquest :P but what’s odd and something that i never understood is why they went for stronghold in the first place when they already had the foundation from gw1 with gvg which was a very good game mode.

stronghold is.. kind of a mix between things and they’re still tinkering with the mechanics and so.. and people are not too fond of it. and i don’t get why they want to create something new if they could just reimagine GvG, everything is there for anet to make use of.

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

GvG was IMHO the best team-based game-mode I’ve ever played and with a few tweaks it would work in GW2 like a charm.

The best thing about GvG was, that the clear focus was on one point (flagstand mid), where big teamfights happen, but there was enough opportunity to split off some teammembers to raid their base, catch their flagrunner etc.

The main problem of stronghold is, that there is no main point of contestion (there are two lanes and very important mist-essence spawns at up to two other points) and there are too many boring tasks to do for a 5-player team (running supply).

in PvP

Posted by: Richy Lao.8346

Richy Lao.8346

I agree with you, reuse what you did for GW1…

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

There’s been huge outcry and requests for more game modes, far from nobody, over the years. We just don’t feel as turned on by stronghold as we should

Personally, I like Stronghold. It just needs a little more creep tuning and more varied heroes. Possibly something like Mercenary camps, but these could be saved for another map.

Oh and something akin to mount system to use out of combat only, so mobile professions don’t have such advantage.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in PvP

Posted by: rEaPeX.8415

rEaPeX.8415

The best thing about GvG was, that the clear focus was on one point (flagstand mid), where big teamfights happen, but there was enough opportunity to split off some teammembers to raid their base, catch their flagrunner etc.

The main problem of stronghold is, that there is no main point of contestion (there are two lanes and very important mist-essence spawns at up to two other points) and there are too many boring tasks to do for a 5-player team (running supply).

+1 to this

stronghold would be improved if somewhere on the map a really strong buff or a more important supply area, so that more meaningful teamfights will be created…

and then maybe, remove some of the things that can be done right now, for example it could look like this in my opinion: remove the supply area, remove the two champions that can be called………..THEN add in the middle, or somewhere else, where both teams can be at the same time, a new buff. This will also summon such a champion that was already created, because they are awesome in my opinion, but make them stronger and even more gamechanging
Then for the doors, some options are available: let some door breakers appear in a given time intervall and MAYBE let the players damage the doors by themselves

This could be something that will focus the team fighting + will give split potential to still defend or attack the enemy doors

But yeah, this is probably too much of a change…the easier way would be to just improve the importance of the supply area.

R E A P E X – Necromancer – EU

in PvP

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

So you speak for everyone?

We disagree with your statement. (notice how equally ridiculous this is).

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Casual PvE players love stronghold. PvP players hate it. This is my experience with the gamemode based on my friends, guilds, teammates I had and reddit.

in PvP

Rym.1469

Casual PvE players love stronghold. PvP players hate it. This is my experience with the gamemode based on my friends, guilds, teammates I had and reddit.

I consider myself primarly PvP player and I like it very much. Couple of PvPers I’ve been discussing this game mode with liked it too.

It’s not ideal, but it’s beta and will be changing. They won’t scrap Stronghold however and suddenly replace it with something else, so we might as well just focus on feedback and enjoy it.

After Stronghold, who knows, maybe long-awaited Arenas or something else. They’re testing plenty of different game modes and maps and we know that.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Actually he is correct. Yes, it is a good map for those who like PvE and want a bit of PvP on the side. No, it isn’t a good map for those who want to focus mainly on PvP.

Unless they find a way to increase the PvP component and decrease the PvE aspects, it will launch and just have a small fringe group of players (after the initial “check it out” phase).

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Hes not speaking for everyone. Hes speaking for the people that dont like this new gamemode for different reasons, and it seems theres a kitten large number of players that dont like it

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

SH is bad. in its current state, id say most people prefer playing conquest. it’s scary how much dev time and “resources” when into this, and it’s so bad.

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

I consider myself primarly PvP player and I like it very much. Couple of PvPers I’ve been discussing this game mode with liked it too.

It’s not ideal, but it’s beta and will be changing. They won’t scrap Stronghold however and suddenly replace it with something else, so we might as well just focus on feedback and enjoy it.

After Stronghold, who knows, maybe long-awaited Arenas or something else. They’re testing plenty of different game modes and maps and we know that.

I also mainly play PvP, and I also like this gamemode, but I will play it casually, theres no way I can focus- play this gamemode just like I’ve played conquest

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Jekkt.6045

SH is bad. in its current state, id say most people prefer playing conquest. it’s scary how much dev time and “resources” when into this, and it’s so bad.

that’s exactly what i’m concerned about. and that’s exactly what i don’t understand about stronghold; they could simply make gvg work for gw2. we have the maps and the map mechanics, they only need to be tweaked.

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

that’s exactly what i’m concerned about. and that’s exactly what i don’t understand about stronghold; they could simply make gvg work for gw2. we have the maps and the map mechanics, they only need to be tweaked.

yep. also, regarding GW2’s gvg, they could have also added a unique twist on 10v10/15v15/20v20 by giving each guild a giant dragon, either AI or player controlled. they could have introduced interesting mechanics for obtaining and leveling the dragon. and then created large open areas for guilds to fight over with their dragons. could have linked it to wvw progression/scoring as well. dragons with different skillsets could have been introduced, kinda like heroes are now.

and then they could have dedicated the rest of their resources to balancing and supporting conquest.

in PvP

witcher.3197

They’re testing plenty of different game modes and maps and we know that.

Source?

in PvP

Posted by: Ristillath.6745

Ristillath.6745

I like stronghold (ofc it still needs tweaks here and there, it’s still in beta) but i see a lot of potential and I already enjoy playing it.
I play exclusively sPvP.

in PvP

Rym.1469

Source?

Isn’t there a thread just below about 16 old PvP maps with almost certainly various game modes/mechanics?

in PvP

PlatinumMember.5274

Actually he is correct. Yes, it is a good map for those who like PvE and want a bit of PvP on the side. No, it isn’t a good map for those who want to focus mainly on PvP.

Unless they find a way to increase the PvP component and decrease the PvE aspects, it will launch and just have a small fringe group of players (after the initial “check it out” phase).

You can classify them as any group you want. Casual or noobs whatever to make yourself feel better, the fact is ultimately the only thing that matters if that there are more people who like it.

Second, fortunately the amount of people who would be considered casual outnumbered the noncasual by a significant number. The point being who gives a kitten, if the non-casual hate stronghold.

Hes not speaking for everyone. Hes speaking for the people that dont like this new gamemode for different reasons, and it seems theres a kitten large number of players that dont like it

Maybe next time he should use the proper pronouns or at least use adjectives to modify the pronoun to be clearer. Yes, I was being pedantic, but still.

(edited by PlatinumMember.5274)

in PvP

witcher.3197

Source?

Isn’t there a thread just below about 16 old PvP maps with almost certainly various game modes/mechanics?

You said they ARE testing. Not AT SOME POINT maybe years ago they were testing. That’s a bit different..

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

i think its boring.

i’d rather have several short fights than a couple long fights.

i miss gw1 RA

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

You can classify them as any group you want. Casual or noobs whatever to make yourself feel better, the fact is ultimately the only thing that matters if that there are more people who like it.

Second, fortunately the amount of people who would be considered casual outnumbered the noncasual by a significant number. The point being who gives a kitten, if the non-casual hate stronghold.

Luckily, we will all see soon if you are correct. Maybe everyone will mostly play stronghold and you will seem like a genius. Maybe it will die a slow death like courtyard and you’ll seem out of touch. We will know soon.

in PvP

PlatinumMember.5274

Luckily, we will all see soon if you are correct. Maybe everyone will mostly play stronghold and you will seem like a genius. Maybe it will die a slow death like courtyard and you’ll seem out of touch. We will know soon.

I don’t particularly care if I am right or wrong. I enjoy stronghold and that is all that matters to me. I will eventually get bored of it, just like I got bored of conquest and only dabble with it.

Also I honestly doubt it will die like court yard, mainly because you can directly queue for it. Second, team death match belong only in fps.

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

+1 and it bores the cr*p outta me.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

SH is awesome and i basically only pvp these days.

ITT: people with rose colored glasses about GW1. Best PVP EVER!! Yes thats why almost no one played that game… Stronghold is casual and too much PVE… LETS ADD DRAGONS TO A GAME MODE!!!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

i always felt like arenanet is trying to mix stuff together with stronghold… a bit of moba.. a bit of gvg.. a bit of this and that.. but nothing real.

please stop trying to be “innovative” when it’s not needed. you have already made what is needed ages ago and nobody asked for anything else.

you have everything at hand and everything is recycleable and only needs a couple of tweaks because of the way gw2 works compared to gw1.

so please do yourselves and the community a favour and have a look at what your company has already made for the players:

You think they haven’t?

These are only the maps we know about and they were made a very long time ago. I can imagine they were about as fun as Courtyard is today – there isn’t a huge liking for it.

GW1 mechanics doesn’t work like GW2. You would have to change the very nature of the game for these gamemodes to work. That said, 2v2 and 3v3 gamemodes can indeed work.. I just don’t think they want to remove their beloved conquest and the soon to be new game mode.

Maybe one day when we have a surplus of players and another full thread of people asking for it.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Kageseigi.2150

Kageseigi.2150

Casual PvE players love stronghold. PvP players hate it.

As a Thief who prefers PvP, I like Stronghold. But again, I’m a Thief. I don’t feel limited like I do in Conquest.

Suggestions to overhaul the Thief…

* * * Thief Trait Shakeup * * *

in PvP

Posted by: Tala.7638

Tala.7638

if you are going to spend time coding a map/mode like stronnkhole then just make a CtF; as well as allowing us to farm pve content, like ore and using a sickle. maybe do a jumper while waiting for a queue instead of sitting in the HotM…

Talaysteria/Talas Cap/Talarenth
THE Mystic Plumbers [LUCK]
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

(edited by Tala.7638)

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

there could be a way to use the Stronghold-mode and make it feel more like GvG without huge changes:

- Focus more on the fight in mid by getting rid of supply and make the mid-point a sort of cap which makes you spawn 2 archers and 1 DB every 30 seconds as long as you at least have 1 person on it. Both teams could have this at the same time.
- Make the mist-essence spawns mid. I absolutely love the mist essence mechanic, but there’s already too much that’s dividing the team up. Team-fights are fun and with 2 other points of contestion (defense and atk. lane) AND the mist-essence spawns at 2 possible other locations, it’ll just be too much for a 5-man team. We’ll just always have max. 2v2’s, which is not what I personally want from a game-mode like that.

This would pretty much lead to the same “set up” of GW1; very important mid, but the option to split offensively or defensively.
It would also get rid of a lot of boring running around for supply.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

You think they haven’t?

These are only the maps we know about and they were made a very long time ago. I can imagine they were about as fun as Courtyard is today – there isn’t a huge liking for it.

GW1 mechanics doesn’t work like GW2. You would have to change the very nature of the game for these gamemodes to work. That said, 2v2 and 3v3 gamemodes can indeed work.. I just don’t think they want to remove their beloved conquest and the soon to be new game mode.

Maybe one day when we have a surplus of players and another full thread of people asking for it.

its the chicken an the egg.

add it, and lets have players come to enjoy our combat system

wait until we have players to add it, we can’t afford to have too many modes

every1 so worried to add a std arena style mode because of splitting the pop. but instead it keeps getting more and mor boring and bleeding out players, and the pop drops from that

wat happened to having fun

let players play what they want. if its fun, more will come rather than leave

in PvP

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

This would pretty much lead to the same “set up” of GW1; very important mid, but the option to split offensively or defensively.
It would also get rid of a lot of boring running around for supply.

Isn’t it more or less the way Conquest work already? I mean I’ve always seen the mode as old GvG with cap point instead of flag stand and NPC. They just removerd the part of killing the Lord but the philosophy is really similar, just the combat mechanics are really different and more aggressive (no turtle fight for 20 minutes trying to interupt the monk on his big heal or try to down the mesmer so that he won’t interupt your monk on his big heal).

in PvP

Posted by: Kageseigi.2150

Kageseigi.2150

if you are going to spend time coding a map/mode like stronnkhole then just make a CtF

I could see that. Just replace the lords with flags. You could either remove the gates or make them player-destructable. Maybe even add a gate to the other lane to give an alternative route. AI guards can be kept or removed. No need for attacking AI.

2-Flag:
Each team has a flag in their base (lord room). Infiltrate enemy base, grab their flag, return it to your base. When both flags are present in your base, you score/win.

1-Flag:
One flag is in the center of the map (supply area). Grab the flag, push into enemy territory. Score/win when you place flag inside the enemy base.

Should it be insta-win when scoring, or should there be a set number of points for victory?

Suggestions to overhaul the Thief…

* * * Thief Trait Shakeup * * *