A client for Linux

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: MehWhatever.1248

MehWhatever.1248

I stand corrected. Sorry. That behavior is with ndiswrapper, right?

No this happens after I ran install_bcm43xx_firmware after the upgrade.

Then I’m waiting for a bug report link.

Right after you send me a link to something you’ve posted around 2 years ago o.o

1) Things have changed since then
2) 2 years, 2 months and 22 days ago I reported a bug in nautilus-elementary

You may or may not know me as K900.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Acidphase.6520

Acidphase.6520

Guys while I’m enjoying the back and forth you guys went way off topic on a tangent lol It’s taking away the focus of this whole thread.

However since we’re on the topic. “Networkmanager” is horrible for stuff like that(even in general) and it’s considered and marked unstable in a few Distro’s. I’m not gong to claim I know everything about every Distro my exposure to OpenSuse is minimal as I run Gentoo currently and many others in the past from Red Hat to Debian.

Anyway did you try and use “wicd” I hear very good things about that manager and normally is the go to manager when there is an issue with wireless devices.

Also if the driver is being built as an module and your having problems did you try to build it into the Kernel rather than as a module? Sometimes that resolves issues as well.

][ Gentoo x86_64 ][ Windows 7 x64][ AMD FX-8150 @4ghz ][
][ 16GB G.Skill @1866Mhz Unganged ][
][ HD Radeon 5970 & 5870 (Tri-Fire) ][ X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro ][

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

Guys while I’m enjoying the back and forth you guys went way off topic on a tangent lol It’s taking away the focus of this whole thread.

However since we’re on the topic. “Networkmanager” is horrible for stuff like that(even in general) and it’s considered and marked unstable in a few Distro’s. I’m not gong to claim I know everything about every Distro my exposure to OpenSuse is minimal as I run Gentoo currently and many others in the past from Red Hat to Debian.

Anyway did you try and use “wicd” I hear very good things about that manager and normally is the go to manager when there is an issue with wireless devices.

Also if the driver is being built as an module and your having problems did you try to build it into the Kernel rather than as a module? Sometimes that resolves issues as well.

NM got much better recently, so I don’t think it should be causing issues. Also, Broadcom has some of the best drivers out there (I’d say, third to Intel and Atheros), so I still think it is/was a user issue. But yeah, trying Wicd is also an option.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: DantesRequiem.4671

DantesRequiem.4671

+1 …it has all been said but…ME TOO!!!!

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

This comment alone is worth way more than all the Linux vs. Windows circlekitten happening here.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shahrizai.7683

Shahrizai.7683

Hi!

Currently I’m running Windows 7, but I would love to get rid of Windows once and for all.

I did get rid of Windows once and for all two months ago. Which is why I don’t play GW2 anymore. If they release a native client for GW2, then I will start playing it again. Simple as that.

From now on I will only play native stuff (most likely from Desura or Steam). I will even re-open my WoW account if they release that as native for Linux (it seems, it might actually happen).

For me now, it is simple: Do you have a Linux client? No? Bye then …
There are so many games coming for Linux nowadays and onwards that there isn’t a single reason to stay on Windows anymore. Of course unless you want to play GW2.

But how about quitting GW2? Show Anet that you mean it! STOP PLAYING! And make sure to tell them WHY you stopped playing. As long as you dual-boot, why would they have any reason to give you a Linux client as long as you play their game anyway??

I will not play it unless they give a Linux client. End of story.
So long Anet!
It is up to YOU (Anet) whether or not we will see each other again.

(Oh, you are wondering why I came here if I’m not playing the game? Good question! I came here looking for a Linux client. Didn’t find one, so I’m leaving again. Bye bye!)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

Hi!

Currently I’m running Windows 7, but I would love to get rid of Windows once and for all.

I did get rid of Windows once and for all two months ago. Which is why I don’t play GW2 anymore. If they release a native client for GW2, then I will start playing it again. Simple as that.

From now on I will only play native stuff (most likely from Desura or Steam). I will even re-open my WoW account if they release that as native for Linux (it seems, it might actually happen).

For me now, it is simple: Do you have a Linux client? No? Bye then …
There are so many games coming for Linux nowadays and onwards that there isn’t a single reason to stay on Windows anymore. Of course unless you want to play GW2.

But how about quitting GW2? Show Anet that you mean it! STOP PLAYING! And make sure to tell them WHY you stopped playing. As long as you dual-boot, why would they have any reason to give you a Linux client as long as you play their game anyway??

I will not play it unless they give a Linux client. End of story.
So long Anet!
It is up to YOU (Anet) whether or not we will see each other again.

(Oh, you are wondering why I came here if I’m not playing the game? Good question! I came here looking for a Linux client. Didn’t find one, so I’m leaving again. Bye bye!)

I really don’t like this nearly religious attitude. Boycotts don’t work in the real world, you know. And you just make yourself look like a whiny little kitten (<< intended).

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morslath.3296

Morslath.3296

I really don’t like this nearly religious attitude. Boycotts don’t work in the real world, you know. And you just make yourself look like a whiny little kitten (<< intended).

If every Linux user stops paying for ArenaNet cash shop items, maybe it can work :P.

And I really don’t see a problem in not wanting to boot into another OS (if you already have it, if you don’t, then you’ll also have to buy it) only to play a game.

For example, I hate when my friends want to use Raidcall instead of TeamSpeak, or even Skype, to play Awesomenauts (which run awesomely under Wine with its OpenGL mode), because it doesn’t always work under wine and I have to boot into Windows just to use it. I do all my work in Linux and I am also thinking about uninstalling windows from my machine.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

If every Linux user stops paying for ArenaNet cash shop items, maybe it can work :P.

And I really don’t see a problem in not wanting to boot into another OS (if you already have it, if you don’t, then you’ll also have to buy it) only to play a game.

For example, I hate when my friends want to use Raidcall instead of TeamSpeak, or even Skype, to play Awesomenauts (which run awesomely under Wine with its OpenGL mode), because it doesn’t always work under wine and I have to boot into Windows just to use it. I do all my work in Linux and I am also thinking about uninstalling windows from my machine.

I agree, but just saying ‘I don’t play the game now because I got rid of Windows’ is better and less kitteny than going on a money rant.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iyeru.5240

Iyeru.5240

Right after you send me a link to something you’ve posted around 2 years ago o.o

Linux bugs are often left alone if developers don’t want to touch them or make changes even though it’s a popular feature. Linux developers are stubborn like that (usually, especially system-based developers for file systems, kernel/drivers, etc.) You’re better off talking to a republican about tax increases on the wealthy.

But don’t let that deter you. If you’re persistent enough, and get the idea to enough people, they will help make the bug / feature more known, and maybe, just maybe, it’ll get into the next version:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-meta/+bug/504341

(P.S: That’s one of my bug/wishlist/feature requests.)

And here’s a bug I’ve had on giftwrap for over 3 years:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/giftwrap/+bug/485320

And one on webkit:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/webkit/+bug/505383

In 10 days, will be three years:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/511278

Here’s a video for some fun:

* (A strange light fills the room. Twilight is shining ahead. You’re filled with, DETERMINATION.)

(edited by Iyeru.5240)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

Linux bugs are often left alone if developers don’t want to touch them or make changes even though it’s a popular feature. Linux developers are stubborn like that (usually, especially system-based developers for file systems, kernel/drivers, etc.) You’re better off talking to a republican about tax increases on the wealthy.

But don’t let that deter you. If you’re persistent enough, and get the idea to enough people, they will help make the bug / feature more known, and maybe, just maybe, it’ll get into the next version:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-meta/+bug/504341

(P.S: That’s one of my bug/wishlist/feature requests.)

And here’s a bug I’ve had on giftwrap for over 3 years:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/giftwrap/+bug/485320

And one on webkit:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/webkit/+bug/505383

In 10 days, will be three years:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/511278

Here’s a video for some fun:

Your first bug is tagged as wishlist, and rightly so. The second one is not in WebKit, it’s in ubuntuforums, judging by the description. The third bug is also not in CUPS, but in hplip. Sorry, it’s not that developers are stubborn.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Iyeru.5240

Your first bug is tagged as wishlist, and rightly so. The second one is not in WebKit, it’s in ubuntuforums, judging by the description. The third bug is also not in CUPS, but in hplip. Sorry, it’s not that developers are stubborn.

The webkit bug only happens in webkit based browsers. Not Gecko-based or IE-based. (Sometimes Opera does it, but not always. But Opera doesn’t use webkit, it uses Presto iirc.)

As for the CUPS issue, it only happened with that specific HP Printer. I tried it on two other printers, and it worked fine. Even a Kodak printer did not do this.

* (A strange light fills the room. Twilight is shining ahead. You’re filled with, DETERMINATION.)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

The webkit bug only happens in webkit based browsers. Not Gecko-based or IE-based. (Sometimes Opera does it, but not always. But Opera doesn’t use webkit, it uses Presto iirc.)

As for the CUPS issue, it only happened with that specific HP Printer. I tried it on two other printers, and it worked fine. Even a Kodak printer did not do this.

1) Then I guess you should check it with a clean build of WebKit first (Google’s proprietary Chrome version?). If it’s still reproducible there, report a bug to WebKit bugzilla.
2) That’s why it’s an issue in hplip, which is HP’s printer driver, so the bug goes to their bug tracker on Launchpad

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xympa.9106

Xympa.9106

Hell, I want a linux client too

Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H – i7 3770K @ 3.8Ghz – Gigabyte GTX 680 OC

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: ElixireL.5190

ElixireL.5190

Linux is not a gaming platform and it’s nowhere near popular enough to have big games companies put money on Linux versions.

There are more vocal Linux users online , techies and so on, who make it sound like Linux is a big thing .
Get over it folks , it isn’t happening. Stop crying for Linux versions of everything.
The platform is a mess, you can’t have a reliable consumer OS designed by committee and wikis.
I do have a Linux netbook and it’s ok for what it is,but somehow I tend to find that there is so much more software available for windows, you know?

(edited by ElixireL.5190)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

Linux is not a gaming platform and it’s nowhere near popular enough to have big games companies put money on Linux versions.

Maybe not yet. But with the Steam Box and Valve’s Linux push it’s definitely becoming one. Porting takes time, so if ANet wants to jump on the bandwagon, they need to start it soon.

There are more vocal Linux users online , techies and so on, who make it sound like Linux is a big thing .

It is a big thing. Not for gamers, but for many other things.

Get over it folks , it isn’t happening. Stop crying for Linux versions of everything.

No one is crying. We’re asking. And generally we’re doing it without being complete kittenhats.

The platform is a mess, you can’t have a reliable consumer OS designed by committee and wikis.

1) Proof or it didn’t happen.
2) Linux follows the same basic development practices as Windows, according to what we know about Microsoft’s inner workings. There is no Overlord Chief Greater Architect in Microsoft to tell them what to do. All large code bases are developed and maintained by committee.

I do have a Linux netbook and it’s ok for what it is,but somehow I tend to find that there is so much more software available for windows, you know?

Well, good for Windows. More software != better software, and Linux has enough software to satisfy my personal needs. Windows has more software is an argument for Windows, not against Linux.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

OK guys. If you come here just to say that it’s not happening or Linux is not a mature enough platform or whatever, please, don’t do it unless you can back it up by strong external evidence (but it didn’t work for me! does not count). If you disagree, it’s your personal opinion. Just play the Windows version. ANet doesn’t need your support to make it, but they do need our support to do a Linux port.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Acidphase.6520

According to certain people on the other thread it will take away from the game for them to work on a Linux client. I mean where is the mentality here? Normally it forces them to clean up the existing code and add on new code.
As far as expansions etc.. that is totally separate department in development e.g. a level designer does not have to worry about his level being Linux compatible , or someone whom works on meshes, artist, and story line ? (I can see this in the story line: “Asurans decide to use Linux for their Golem’s/Gates now they’re not crashing no more”)

Oh yeah, also mentioned they wanted them to work on the bugs. Windows specific bugs or games specific ones? Because if it’s game bugs they’re already working on it and it would have to be addressed regardless what platform the game is on which again will be a separate Team.
If we’re talking windows specific bugs that may and could be the same team and I guess “maybe” it could take away focus but highly unlikely because the code would be cleaned up regardless of the API it’s being sent through unless it’s DirectX specifically.
Also one more point Arenanet would get tons of help from the Linux community and if they opted to work with a Distro like Ubuntu like Blizzard did, it would be a very competent team working on the port. Again taking nothing away from the beloved Windows specific bugs.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: John Yanez.5486

John Yanez.5486

If you make a Penguin friendly version of your software, I would think that would be like killing multiple birds with only one stone since my understanding is that FreeBSD, Solaris and their derivatives allow the more seasoned users to run Linux applications. I don’t know if that includes 3D games.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

If you make a Penguin friendly version of your software, I would think that would be like killing multiple birds with only one stone since my understanding is that FreeBSD, Solaris and their derivatives allow the more seasoned users to run Linux applications. I don’t know if that includes 3D games.

Don’t think 3D works well enough for that. But it might be possible in the longer term.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Nah I wanted to spare it but I really like to troll on this one.
So tell me, have you purchased a new laptop recently with nvidia gpu? How’s that optimus switch working for you xD ?
Sure you can use bumblebee from terminal, I prefer to just, you know, flip the switch and double click the icon on my desktop
Linux have great time catching up to new hardware.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

Nah I wanted to spare it but I really like to troll on this one.
So tell me, have you purchased a new laptop recently with nvidia gpu? How’s that optimus switch working for you xD ?
Sure you can use bumblebee from terminal, I prefer to just, you know, flip the switch and double click the icon on my desktop
Linux have great time catching up to new hardware.

Works perfectly here, you know. optidesk is your switch. Also, Optimus on Windows is not flawless, either, and has some pretty unexpected behavior.

(edited by MehWhatever.1248)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Ravenmoon.5318

Yes, keep reading off the interwebz without seeing it for yourself and act smartass c:
Funny thing is I actually have a collegue here in the office, with a brand new laptop running the latest Ubuntu. And he’s pretty depressed about this whole optimus switch thing c:
Not to mention that it works flawlessly under his Windows 7. We tend to do some multiplayer gaming in our free time, you know, call of duty and stuff ^^ in which he gets worse FPS than his windows machine just FYI with the Beta nvidia proprietary driver which is rumoured to boost the linux driver performance as much as with 50%

What’s more interesting is that this is something like a trend in the new nvidia laptops. Just like Intel is trying to push touchscreens to every PC, especially in the ultrabooks (will provide a link to the article if you want)

(edited by Ravenmoon.5318)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

Yes, keep reading off the interwebz without seeing it for yourself and act smartass c:
Funny thing is I actually have a collegue here in the office, with a brand new laptop running the latest Ubuntu. And he’s pretty depressed about this whole optimus switch thing c:
Not to mention that it works flawlessly under his Windows 7. We tend to do some multiplayer gaming in our free time, you know, call of duty and stuff ^^ in which he gets worse FPS than his windows machine just FYI with the Beta nvidia proprietary driver which is rumoured to boost the linux driver performance as much as with 50%

What’s more interesting is that this is something like a trend in the new nvidia laptops. Just like Intel is trying to push touchscreens to every PC, especially in the ultrabooks (will provide a link to the article if you want)

Need a screenshot from my laptop? Also, that was me who posted that thread. And you’re talking about Wine overhead again. Try something native on both Windows and Linux, then compare.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Ravenmoon.5318

And I see no response from nvidia. It might be just you. And if it is just you, then how about you agree that the issue is by the device behind the keyboard?

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

And I see no response from nvidia. It might be just you. And if it is just you, then how about you agree that the issue is by the device behind the keyboard?

All I did was run some simple tests that didn’t involve changing anything I’m not allowed to change (just start a program that starts another program with different settings) and observe the outcome. Nothing I did could have affected the behaviour of the NVIDIA’s hooks. I’ve also confirmed this behavior on a different machine.

Edit: here’s my exact test procedure, in case you want to try and reproduce it.
0) You’ll need AutoHotkey and visualinfo.exe from GLEW
1) Create and compile an AutoHotkey script: “run visualinfo.exe”. This’ll give you a test parent executable that runs visualinfo.exe and exits.
2) Start the compiled executable. Open visualinfo.txt. Both visualinfo and your executable are set to run on integrated graphics, so you obviously see Intel data.
3) Right-click the compiled executable and run it on external graphics. Open visualinfo.txt. See NVIDIA data. Now the child process runs on NVIDIA graphics.
4) Go to NVIDIA Control panel and set the compiled executable to always run on NVIDIA graphics. Start it by double clicking. Open visualinfo.txt. See Intel data. Now the child process runs on Intel graphics.
5) (not required) Write a forum post on NVIDIA’s forum asking if the behavior is intentional.

(edited by MehWhatever.1248)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Acidphase.6520

Again off topic stuff it has nothing to do with a Linux Native Client.

As far as driver issues this will not be the responsibility of Anet. If they have a working client with any video card would be up to the Device manufacture to provide an adequate driver or use the open source driver again not Anets problem.

Ravenmoon, Nvidia is a bad example to use as Nvidia has been pretty good with their drivers for Linux. If you wanted a better argument AMD’s Linux drivers are much more vulnerable to criticisms. Even at that though they still work fine for me, even with wine when I run WoW-64 I get very good frame rates (100-200/fps). I can only imagine how well it would run with a “Native Client”.

If Main Stream Game Developers start making more Linux native clients hardware manufactures will provide better support for the games and their hardware.
In general we the consumers have much to gain when competition and ingenuity come together. This will also benefit Apple users with OS X.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

Again off topic stuff it has nothing to do with a Linux Native Client.

As far as driver issues this will not be the responsibility of Anet. If they have a working client with any video card would be up to the Device manufacture to provide an adequate driver or use the open source driver again not Anets problem.

Ravenmoon, Nvidia is a bad example to use as Nvidia has been pretty good with their drivers for Linux. If you wanted a better argument AMD’s Linux drivers are much more vulnerable to criticisms. Even at that though they still work fine for me, even with wine when I run WoW-64 I get very good frame rates (100-200/fps). I can only imagine how well it would run with a “Native Client”.

If Main Stream Game Developers start making more Linux native clients hardware manufactures will provide better support for the games and their hardware.
In general we the consumers have much to gain when competition and ingenuity come together. This will also benefit Apple users with OS X.

The thing is, there are almost no driver issues. You can get the same performance on Linux and Windows without over-optimising either. Ravenmoon is just trying to prove that Windows is master race.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: soulsuke.7913

soulsuke.7913

About the Optimus stuff: I’m the prowd owner of an Alienware M17x r3 laptop, and I’m not really having issues with optimus. It CAN be a problem at the start, but bumblebee solved it for me. As a proof, I can say I play GW2 with accettable fps, and native games ( Legend of Grimrock, Team Fortress 2, etc ) with at max settings with no slowdowns at all…
Also, IIRC… Didn’t nVidia announce that they’re actually gonna drop Optimus on Windows as well, to move on another project that they plan to support on both Windows and Linux? I may be wrong about this one, it’s just something I recall I’ve read somewhere on the old nvidia forums, Linux section

Proud Opera and Debian Sid (unstable) user. And it won’t stop me from playing GW2! :p

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

About the Optimus stuff: I’m the prowd owner of an Alienware M17x r3 laptop, and I’m not really having issues with optimus. It CAN be a problem at the start, but bumblebee solved it for me. As a proof, I can say I play GW2 with accettable fps, and native games ( Legend of Grimrock, Team Fortress 2, etc ) with at max settings with no slowdowns at all…
Also, IIRC… Didn’t nVidia announce that they’re actually gonna drop Optimus on Windows as well, to move on another project that they plan to support on both Windows and Linux? I may be wrong about this one, it’s just something I recall I’ve read somewhere on the old nvidia forums, Linux section

Never heard about them dropping Optimus on Windows, but on Linux they wanted to enable it using DMA buffer sharing like open-source drivers do it. However the last time I checked, they’ve ran into an Alan Cox issue, and you probably know this guy’s position on proprietary stuff in his kernel.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: soulsuke.7913

soulsuke.7913

Heh, I remember what Alan Cox said about that, to be quite fair I can’t understand his motivations… It’s the same reasons why I can’t use a stable (Opensolaris-like stable, at least) ZFS root on Debian. Sigh. It sucks that most of the skilled programmers are such license-extremists.
Again, I may be wrong about nVidia dropping Optimus on Windows, I just remember somebody saying they were taking into account the possibility to drop it with the coming of Ivy Bridges, but again it was a lot of time ago, and I may be remembering just some rant on the forums :p Wish I could find the post, but the old nVidia forum is a mess

Proud Opera and Debian Sid (unstable) user. And it won’t stop me from playing GW2! :p

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Igor.4579

Igor.4579

This comment alone is worth way more than all the Linux vs. Windows circlekitten happening here.

The “kitten” thing still slays me. Having said that, I’ll toss another +1 for Linux client (or wine support) on the pile.

Have a nice day.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

Heh, I remember what Alan Cox said about that, to be quite fair I can’t understand his motivations… It’s the same reasons why I can’t use a stable (Opensolaris-like stable, at least) ZFS root on Debian. Sigh. It sucks that most of the skilled programmers are such license-extremists.
Again, I may be wrong about nVidia dropping Optimus on Windows, I just remember somebody saying they were taking into account the possibility to drop it with the coming of Ivy Bridges, but again it was a lot of time ago, and I may be remembering just some rant on the forums :p Wish I could find the post, but the old nVidia forum is a mess

Linus isn’t. And Dave Airlie isn’t. If only they could convince Alan.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: kadosh.3710

kadosh.3710

GW2 in linux is perfect. Please Arena net.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leios.8965

Leios.8965

Guys, we should all stop wearing leg armor when playing guild wars 2 on a linux box, it could be called “Legless for Linux.” Eventually Anet will become so sick and tired of seeing our naked bums that they will have to port it!

Seriously though. If Anet could port the game, I would be incredibly greatful. As a Linux user, I understand that we are low on the totem pole and everything, but… Since Nightfall fell, I’ve been using WINE. I Kinda feel a bit tipsy because of it.

Arch-user here in support of Anet’s port to linux.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aza.2503

Aza.2503

Another +1 for linux, I completely dropped windows about a week ago, now steam is available and the game base for linux is increasing rapidly, I only stayed with windows for gaming and windows 8 put the final nails in the coffin for me.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: pEEtrs.4320

pEEtrs.4320

+1 for Linux support, if this happens, I think I’ll be finally able to discard that piece of Malware from Redmond once and for all on last of my machines where it run (my gaming machine)

I think ANet could go in same direction as CCP did with EvE. You can try the same, I imagine it will not cost much resources (and if I knew something like that is going to happen, I might spend more money on gems).

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: infarmer.9836

infarmer.9836

Massive Improvements in New Linux Nvidia Driver once more, you can check them here:
Linux Display Driver

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Savoritias.8194

Savoritias.8194

Now that Steam has gotten to Linux Arena Net should definetily build a client for linux. Just look at the numbures of people being willing to change! ANd they can do it with les cost. They can release the code and let the users find bugs and fix them. In this way the bugs will be over in far less time and with lees money.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

Now that Steam has gotten to Linux Arena Net should definetily build a client for linux. Just look at the numbures of people being willing to change! ANd they can do it with les cost. They can release the code and let the users find bugs and fix them. In this way the bugs will be over in far less time and with lees money.

I doubt they’ll release the source any time soon. That will make finding exploits and writing bots very easy.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leios.8965

Leios.8965

Well, as far as video game statistics are concerned, I would like to point out that linux users, though almost always pay more per user for the humble indie bundles:

http://www.humblebundle.com/

In this particular bundle, linux users donated $10.48 per bundle, whereas Mac users donated $7.95, and Windows users donated $6.23. If you check out the pi chart at the bottom of the page, you’ll see that even though linux users may be only a small fraction of the market share, they are close to the Mac value donated total and definitely worth some consideration. I would also like to point out that I, as a linux user, always support software that I like. I do not steal games or hack myself into restricted areas. I know the worth of a good piece of software. On top of that, if there is software that is ported properly to linux, I am usually even more supportive of it.

In the case of GW1, I used the cash shop regularly to purchase nifty costumes. In GW2, though, I had to patch WINE to even pull up the trading post, and am unable to even talk in chat if I don’t have the “-dx9single” tag. Interestingly enough, my machine runs at 5-10 fps faster without the tag, it just happens to crash every time I try to type anything. I also have a texture issue with my WINE edition, if I change my equipment (or dye) but do not also map travel, the colors do not change in my viewing window. I am sure there is a way to fix this, but I settled to just switch to my Windows drive (which is, of course, only on my system for GW2), to create characters, and then return to linux whenever else I wanna play the game.

As a side note, if any of you linux lovers want an interesting talk (that I happened to greatly), check out this video entitled “Why Linux Sucks,” and it’s follow-up, “Why Linux Doesn’t Suck.” It is DEFINITELY worth your time!

Anet, if you are reading this, know that GW2 is playable for me, but I often times settle to play GW1 instead simply because it works on my system phenomenally well without me having to switch OS’s. I ask that you take time to consider linux, even if it takes a year to develop, I sure would appreciate it, and I’m sure the rest of the community would too. All I want to know now is if Anet is hearing us. A definite “yes” or “no” would be really nice. Even if the answer to a linux port is, “not being considered at this time,” I would be content.

Sorry for the long post.

EDIT: Accidental doublepost.

Here is the follow-up video, “Why Linux Doesn’t Suck”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfLqLK7VdQY

(edited by Leios.8965)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

+1.
Only reason I bought Win7 at all.

~Shadowkat

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Iyeru.5240

Steam can’t be installed on Windows 8 tablets, and that’s why Gabe Newell ported source natively to linux, and steam.

(edited by Iyeru.5240)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

Steam can’t be installed on Windows 8 tablets, and that’s why Gabe Newell ported source natively to linux, and steam.

Steam can be installed on Windows 8 tablets, but not on Windows RT tablets. Of course, Valve don’t want to lose their revenue.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

I’ve been stuck with Windows much too long. If it weren’t for MMOs I would have gotten rid of this pile of horrible architecture flaws long ago.
I’m aware this isn’t an easy, short term goal, but I support the request for a native linux client.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yunjii Sun.3512

Yunjii Sun.3512

I’d like to add my voice to this request too. Please support a native Linux client.
Thanks.

“We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jiminimokna.1270

Jiminimokna.1270

Throwing my support behind this again, Linux should be the way forward if more games companies follow Valves example and start making Linux clients for their games.

Go Rin No Sho – Gandara EU
PvE, PvP, WvWvW
www.gorinnosho.com

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jorval.7652

Jorval.7652

Hey, I’d also like to add my Voice for a Linux “native” Client or for a first step a better support for Wine at all.

Running GW2 under Ubuntu 64 with Wine is ok. A Native Client could change this into a absolutly pleased Customer

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: whitearabqc.8357

whitearabqc.8357

I totally agree with that. They have created a Mac OS X client so why not Linux. Mac is also based on Unix and use OpenGL like Linux. I want to get rid of Windows 7 once and for all… Also I have heard that Blizzard will be porting his game to Linux! We have also Steam right now!

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: ace.1935

ace.1935

I also would appriciate a Linux client for GW2.

I am tired of Windowswith all its flaws and bounderies and seeing where Microsoft goes with Windows 8 really scares me as Desktop user.
The only reason i still got a Windows system running is Gaming.
But with Steam coming for Linux activly pushed by Valve, ActivitionBlizzard porting to Linux finally i see light at the end of the tunnel !
Without a doubt Linux + openGL is capable of doing all the fancy gaming stuff Windows + DirectX can, it simply needs more Support by big studios just like ArenaNet.
You already developed a MacOS client. Bringing GW2 to Linux is only a little step further. Stick to Ubuntu just like Valve, force more Standards and soon we might have a platform for the future of PC gaming.

ace.