Future Playable Races

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: ZachariahtheBullfrog.5302

ZachariahtheBullfrog.5302

In addition to the original Human race of Guild Wars, in the first part of Guild Wars 2, Asura, Charr, Norn, and Sylvari were all introduced as playable characters. I think, to follow up with such an outstanding introduction to the new Guild Wars 2, new races should be introduced in each following expansion.

Cantha – In the Canthan expansion, players should be able to play as Hylek, Naga, Tengu, and Warden

Elona – In the Elonan expansion, players should be able to play as Centaurs, Largos, Grawl, and Undead (such as Palawa Joko)

In a Tyrian expansion, like Eye of the North, Jotun, Yeti, Kodan, and Dwarves should be introduced as playable characters.

Factions definitely need to be brought back! The races of Cantha can be faction specific. For example, Hylek and Tengu are Luxion specific, while Naga and Wardens are Kurzick specific.

Since Palawa Joko has retaken control of Elona, the players should be able to choose which side to be on. Again, the races could be limited to which side you choose. The undead, and Largos being pro-Palawa, while the Centaurs and Grawl come together to rebel against Palawa Joko.

The game explains how the Jotun were once a great race of powerful, and magical people, it even compares the Jotun to gods. I think, in the expansion, the Jotun arise back to power, forming more sophisticated forms of government, and building great cities in the far North, living alongside their not as intelligent, but more mighty relative , the Yeti

The Kodan are also expanding their territory. Only, instead of building great cities in the north, they live under the surfaces of Tyria, in the old Dwarven cities, along with the dwindling race of Dwarves. The dwarves appearances have been changed due to the ritual their race performed in order to fight the Destroyers.

I believe that, in creating such a diversity of playable races, players would definitely not get bored with the story lines. The new races and alliances should also bring in more players, who have played other MMORPG’s such as World of Warcraft.

Attachments:

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lancaeron.1524

Lancaeron.1524

I really like this idea. Most MMOs have the ability to chose sides, so why can’t Guild Wars 2? Isn’t that why the game is called “Guild Wars”; because prior to the original Guild Wars, the guilds chose sides.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I really like this idea. Most MMOs have the ability to chose sides, so why can’t Guild Wars 2? Isn’t that why the game is called “Guild Wars”; because prior to the original Guild Wars, the guilds chose sides.

in the original guild wars…it was Orr vs Kryta vs Ascalon, of which all where human. the game is called “guild wars” because its supposed to be guild fighting guild, not good fighting evil.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Metallus.7690

Metallus.7690

Add the classic dwarves, elves and orcs, make factions and you’ve got your rooster.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

All non human races were kicked out of Cantha, so none of those are viable. Also Hylek aren’t from/found in Cantha, the Naga are an enemy race and we have never seen a non-hostile Naga. The Wardens are wardens of the forrest, we don’t really know if they are truly sentient.
Dwarves will not be playable, they’ve all turned to stone and are now fighting Primordius… Jotun aren’t quite intelligent enough and the Yeti DEFINITELY are not intelligent enough.
The Luxon and Kurzick factions were dissolved by the Canthan Emperor… So they wont be making a return.

If there is a new playable race it’s most likely to be either the Tengu or the Largos. Even then it’s not all together that likely to happen. Anet have stated before that when creating new areas or opening up zones they don’t want to recreate a beginning (as in level 1) zone/storyline again. Which sort of probably rules out new races.

If you DID get a new race it would be one or two, not 5….

Not to mention adding in new races creates problems with the existing storyline. They can’t go back and for example add Tengu in to the fight against Zhaitan, but any new players playing the Tengu would need to be able to play through the original storyline. It would be really really weird for them to do so without ever seeing another Tengu and it creates problems with the Order storylines and the Racial sympathy storylines. Not to mention it would create a massive inconsistency in the timeline..
And you can’t just make it so that new races can’t complete the original storyline, because you’re then limiting the content players can participate in. To make it fair you’d have to prevent current players from using their characters in new storylines. What you end up with then is two entirely separate games…

(edited by FlamingFoxx.1305)

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

You make a good point about not being able to incorporate the characters into the original storyline, but some of the ideas could still be used. Like the Luxion/Kurzick thing and the war in Elona. The Tengu, and Centaurs could still both be introduced, and would both be really fun to play. Kodan and Wardens would also be fun.

During the “A Weapon of Legend” quest, there are fairly intelligent Jotun worshiping the Dragon, Jormag. In the “Echoes of Ages Past” quest, it explains the fall of the Jotun. I think it would be interesting to see the Jotun rise to power again. The Jotun and Kodan could go to war in the far north or something?

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: GreenNekoHaunt.8527

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Dwarves will not be playable, they’ve all turned to stone

Wow, hold it. No one ever said ALL turned to stone. They only said that no one knows a Dwarf that hasn’t bee turned to stone. :P There might still be some normal but who knows?

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Exactly! Ogden Stonehealer is the only dwarf that still communicates with the above ground world. There’s no telling what’s going on under ground! The GW2 Wiki says "As of the present, no dwarf of FLESH AND BLOOD remains. There could still be stone dwarves under ground battling destroyers, boogins, and other monsters of the underground.

Attachments:

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

FlamingFoxx.1305

Wow, hold it. No one ever said ALL turned to stone. They only said that no one knows a Dwarf that hasn’t bee turned to stone. :P There might still be some normal but who knows?

No.. They ALL turned to stone. It’s a Dwarf thing, they had to undergo the rite of the dwarf and join the battle against Primordius…. Even the Stone Summit turned to stone.
If there were still fleshy dwarves you would have seen them, they would not be underground fighting Primordius because they wouldn’t be stone and would have died very very quickly…

Exactly! Ogden Stonehealer is the only dwarf that still communicates with the above ground world. There’s no telling what’s going on under ground! The GW2 Wiki says "As of the present, no dwarf of FLESH AND BLOOD remains. There could still be stone dwarves under ground battling destroyers, boogins, and other monsters of the underground.

Yes… They are underground fighting Primordius, but they are all stone and their sole purpose is killing Primordius and his minions. You can’t have a compelling playable race whose soul purpose in life is to kill Primordius and accomplish absolutely nothing else.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

It is hidden in an interview with Ree about the sylvari.

Q: It is said all dwarves who participated in invoking the Great Dwarf’s power to battle the Great Destroyer were turned to stone. Are there dwarves then who are not stone out in the world somewhere still (assuming then there were some dwarves who did not participate)? If so, how are interactions between them and their stone brethren?

Ree: All of the dwarves eventually participated in the ritual. There are no non-stone dwarves in Tyria.

http://www.talktyria.net/2011/08/11/sylvari-lore-interview-with-ree-soesbee-kristen-perry/

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

But the question is: When is Chapter 2 coming? Is it when GW2 makes 1 year?

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Some races should stay as they are..not all are meant to be playable neither should they become so.The only actual race i would like to see playable would be Dwarves,about them being turned to stone..thats no issue,its an mmo after all..something can always happen that would turn them living again.Imagine a whole story involving around Dwarves and us looking for “something” to turn them back into flesh and blood again.Anyway..Kodan for a “Maybe” since i think they could look pretty awesome in the right gear with the right weapons,but other then that i wouldn’t want to see any of the other races you named being made playable.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Most of the stuff I see here do I count personally as total BS that will never happen (hopefully), certain races are just lorewise impossible, because that count for Anet and how many kittenign times have people to tell guys that – as personal story NPCs, which are too unintelligent to become ever a playable race or do count as enemies.

This includes: Centaurs, Grawls, Quaggan, Skritt, Krait, Largos, Hyleks, Kodan.

Races we will also never see in GW2 are Dwarfs, Elves, Gnomes, Orcs and the typical 0815 Tolkien BS, because these absolutely don’t fit into GW2 and Dwarfs will be 100% sure just a personal story NPC race, once we go against Primordus, as you all know, the dwarfs we know from GW1 turned all into eternal stone to be able to fight against the destroyers and Primordus in the underground.

It gives no kittening Kurzicks and Luxons anymore, learn finally about the games LORE!
From everything possible and thinkable as playable race, that fullfills also every criterias a playable race for GW2 has to fullfill, come into question just only the Tengus so far, which are set for sure to become the next playable race within a Cantha Add On, whenever will will see it …

- Tengus have their own city within the Dominion of the Winds
- Tengus have lots of visual differencies and thats important for a playable race for the character creation
- Tengus are a humanoid like race and that way easier to make Armor Models for, unlike for stupid Centaurs or legless Nagas and are due to this also able to swim/dive, what Centaurs CAN’T, every playable races needs to be able to swim and dive and jump on the spot, everything thats physically not able to do that, can’’t become a playable race, because it would lead automatically into extreme animation problems for that no solutions exist.
- Tengus are able to be every playable class, as theres nothing in their lore that would go against this.

However tl dr. to make it brief …

If GW2 will ever see more new playable races beside the tengus, I really do hope that it will never become things like Centaurs, Kodan, Largos, Quaggan, Skritt, Ogres, Grawsls and the like, but instead i hope for it, that ANet comes of with something really NEW and CREATIVE.
New Races, that are unique for GW2 and are totally new to the World of Tyria.
Their introduction can be very easy, because we have had never yet the chance to totally explore the whole world of Tyria to its fullest extent.
We have seen from the game world just only like 20% or so that is explorable land in the current Tyria.
Theres also still alot of space left open for exploration, where within the last 250 years could have been new races coming up in their population just like the Sylvari which exist also only sicne the last 25 years of the game history, that we have never seen before, because those places were already in GW1 also unexplorable and may become maybe now in GW2 explorable first.
Best example for that is Southsun Cove. A place, that we never saw in GW1 and now became explorable for GW2 with a new species there, that we have never seen before, the Karkas.

So if ANet can easily implement a new monster species, then I think they should handle it the same way with new playable races. They should be new, original and unique for GW2, thats the best thing ANet could do for their game, so that GW2 won’t become a typical 0815 cliche MMORPG with the typical cliche races you knowe from Tolkien, WoW and Co.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Skritt and Quaggan all teh way <3 but unfortunately very unlikely

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

personal story NPCs, which are too unintelligent to become ever a playable race or do count as enemies.

I think you mis-catagorized Hylek, Kodan, and Centaur. They are intelligent and aren’t mustache-twirling evil.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Centaur and Krait won’t appear as playable race. That’s definite. They’re evil from the roots.
Hylek, Grawls and Skritt as playable characters is too confusing as you have to fight your own race.
Kodan is possible and very likely.
There’s not much information about Largos but possible.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

Ehh… I’d bone up on my centaur lore if I were you. They’re a lot more ‘gray’ than you give them credit for.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Ehh… I’d bone up on my centaur lore if I were you. They’re a lot more ‘gray’ than you give them credit for.

So you expect to play a Centaur and kill Centaurs? … I don’t know…

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

I don’t expect to play a centaur simply because of the armor issue. But charr kill charr, asura kill asura, humans kill humans, sylvari kill sylvari, norn kill norn. that isn’t an issue either. My point is that centaur aren’t mustache-twirling evil. They are only “evil” because the current politics of their society is in conflict with playable humanity. Humans take their land and they want it back. But there is currently centaur diplomats that visit human settlements.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

FlamingFoxx.1305

Cantaur won’t happen for one very very simple reason – The current armour models wouldn’t fit on them AT ALL.
All the current races and any future races need to be able to share amour models, that means they all need to have the same basic anatomy – they need to be upright, have two arms and two legs and a head.

As for Centaur’s being good/evil. The Tyrian Centaur’s have a very long deep rooted hatred for humans, the Elonian Centaur’s however didn’t seem to have so much hatred for them. Ventari is one of the few exceptions for Tyrian Centaurs however.

Thanks Orpheal for being intelligent about this

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

Most of the stuff I see here do I count personally as total BS that will never happen (hopefully), certain races are just lorewise impossible, because that count for Anet and how many kittenign times have people to tell guys that – as personal story NPCs, which are too unintelligent to become ever a playable race or do count as enemies.

What kitten was that all about?) How can you say Kodan is not a playable Race? They could have easily replace the Norn in GW2. It is true that Tengu already have a large city in the existing lore and It can be considered their capital. And I’m positive that Tengu is the next playable Race. But still. You call those arguments? let’s recap that!

- Tengus have their own city
So does the Kodan, far north. They had to flee south when the dragon Awake. Now they have many other settlements called “Sanctuaries”. But wait, wait! There are many locked territories we have little knowledge about.

Tengus have lots of visual differencies and thats important for a playable race for the character creation
So does the Kodan. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kodan
If you really care you can see Kodan Shamans in light armor, a perfect start for Elementalist/Necromancer.

- Tengus are a humanoid like race and that way easier to make Armor Models for.
Right… And Kodan are not humanoids? Why is is that difficult to make armor for them? If this was GW1 you would have said the same thing about the Charr.

- Tengus are able to be every playable class, as theres nothing in their lore that would go against this.
The very same with Kodan. They can be fat, slim, short, tall. You could adjust the color of their fur the same way you can adjust the feathers of a Tengu.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

But charr kill charr, asura kill asura, humans kill humans, sylvari kill sylvari, norn kill norn.

If those “Elona Centaurs” exist (which I don’t know since I didn’t play Guild Wars 1) then I don’t see any problems except for the armor models.

Sure as Charr you kill Charr’s but you don’t kill the same type of charr’s. I mean you don’t go and kill Charr’s which are in your same legion. E.g. iron legion doesn’t kill iron legion. Norn kill Svanir and not their brothers. Yet in GW2 every centaur basically are the same. Adding a centaur race ignoring elona centaurs would make no sense.

Except you know a simple way to tell whether certain centaurs are evil and certain centaurs aren’t. Same for hylek (besides their color) there is no cultural difference between good and bad.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

How is a tribe different from a legion? As I said, you should bone up on your centaur lore. before the Modnirr tribe forcefully dominated the Harathi and Tamarii centaurs, inter tribal warfare was common. Just like the charr. The lore is there to make them playable, even if the mechanics aren’t.

Hyleck have diffent tribes as well. All with their own priorities and color coded for friendliness. How is that not enough? Now tell me the difference between bad asura and good asura. because thye are all in the same culture. They just choose to be part of a bad mete-crew.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Important things to keep in mind for characters to get full potential:
- is a potential story possible to be made up?
- is there a capital city for them?
- does the capital city have potential for a race?
- do character models match?
- who is the potential enemy?
- how is the race effected by the dragons?

EXAMPLES:
Charr
- Yes – Yes – Yes – Yes – Ascalons – Dragon attacked the land
Asura
- Yes – Yes – Yes – Yes – Inquestur – Dragons absorb magic
Sylvari
- Yes – Yes – Yes – Yes – Nightmare – Zhaitans undead army corrupts the nature
Norn
- Yes – Yes – Yes – Yes – Svanir – Jormag corrupts the population
Human
- Yes – Yes – Yes – Yes – Bandits – The queen is in danger

Kodan
- Yes – Yes – Yes – Yes – Jormag – Their land was taken by Jormag
Dwarfs
- Yes – Yes – Yes – Yes – Destroyer – Have been fighting Primordius
Tengu
- Unknown – Yes – Yes – Yes – Unknown – Unknown
Centaurs
- No – Yes – No – No – Other tribes – None
Hylek
- Yes – No – No – No – Other tribes – Tribes get sacrificed and turn into the undead.
Skritt
- Yes – Yes – No – Yes – Destroyer, Curses, other tribes – Skritt find destroyer eggs underground.

hum

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

That goal post really gets moving huh!

Those are basically good rules but A-net is even a little lax on the racial city, lorewise. The norn don’t have a racial city because they are fiercely independent. What they do have is hoelbrak which is just a settlement that Knut is kind enough to allow others into.

So really, any tribal village area could serve as a “racial city”.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Hylek, Grawls and Skritt as playable characters is too confusing as you have to fight your own race.

I would just quickly like to point out that this is true for every single player race already.

Humans – bandits
Charr – flame legion
Asura – inquest
Sylvari – nightmare court and
Norn – sons of Svanir

Is anybody overly confused by any of this?

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

This post was to throw out some ideas, and hopefully spark new ones. I do think it is very possible to expand on the Centuars, the Dwarves, the Hylek, the Tengu, and definately the Kodan.

There are lots of armor models for centaurs already, look at Zhed Shadowhoof! I personally think it would be fun to play as a centaur. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Centaur More info on centaurs can be found here. The Elonan centaurs are more gazelle like than Tyrian centaurs, and I’m sure you could change your body type between them, making you more like a horse, or gazelle, or whatever. plus the fur patterns, like the Charr. You could make a centaur zebra if you wanted!

I think the Kodan would be really fun. Again, there are already many armor models for them. They could easily be put in the far north, having problems with other tribes, or problems with some other antagonist. Creating a Kodan would be fun too! Changing the color of the fur, big or small, fat or skinny, plus their tribal markings/ tattoos! http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kodan

Tengu would also be very fun to play, and the vast vibrant colors the Tengu come in would be fun to play around with. You could make a parrot man, or a sparrow man, or an eagle man if you wanted to! There is already a lot of armor for the Tengu, and they wouldn’t be hard to put into the game in Tyria as well, because they live in solitude in the Dominion of Winds.

Hylek would also be fun, because their sun-religion thing they have, and their vast knowledge of poisons and herbs and stuff could easily be made into racial skills. They could be located North-West of the Asuran and Sylvari homelands, and they could be battling with other tribes, or again, some other antagonist. Creating a Hylek would be fun, and there is already many armor possibilities for them. They could come in varying colors, and skin markings, like frogs could also be very colorful.

I’m sure the guys that make the game could come up with something far better than what I could imagine. I was just throwing some ideas out there, and trying get some other peoples input.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

That goal post really gets moving huh!

Those are basically good rules but A-net is even a little lax on the racial city, lorewise. The norn don’t have a racial city because they are fiercely independent. What they do have is hoelbrak which is just a settlement that Knut is kind enough to allow others into.

So really, any tribal village area could serve as a “racial city”.

I’m talking about a capital city. Where usually the main person or people live. E.g. Queen, Skritt king, Tribun, etc. etc..
A potential capital city is one that has it’s own area. Lions Arch, Divinity’s Reach, Rata Sum, etc. which also have instances (very important: home instance)

The Tengu city is definitely a potential capital city. The Kodan have one too the question however is… is the Kodan’s capital city actually an own area or will it have a home instance? The reason for an own area is simply to cut between safe and dangerous area. No potential city has enemies you have to fight with the exception of instances.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

if the devs decide they want them playable, they don’t put mobs in the area. That’s really the only thing that seperates Hoelbrak from the homestead at taigan grove. So whether they are playable wouldn’t depend on if the area has mobs but rather the other way around. Right now it doesn’t have anything because a-net hasn’t created it yet.

e.g.: As an example I’ll use Hyleck.
They could decide one Hyleck tribe is on really friendly terms with us. that tribal area will be mob free if they become playable because it would serve as the ’"racial city", just as Hoelbrak does. The chief of that tribe would be the racial leader.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jishika.8206

Jishika.8206

Would be awsome if there was playable races who lives under water, ok we have the quaggan but maybe a race that are a fusion btw human and a lionfish ect ect. Not an ordinary mermaid shape of course something unique but very beautiful! =)

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Exactly, both the Hylek and Kodan are both very spiritual. There could be a “High Chief Hylek”, or whoever who is in charge of the Hylek home-area. The Kodan are more Native American like in the way they name themselves after their personality and stuff. There are many possibilities for the Kodan living in the far north where players haven’t been able to explore yet.

They both form tribes. So, maybe, in creating a character, you can choose what tribe you are in. Kinda like the Blood, Iron, and Ash legions of the Charr.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Jishika.8206
Would be awsome if there was playable races who lives under water, ok we have the quaggan but maybe a race that are a fusion btw human and a lionfish ect ect. Not an ordinary mermaid shape of course something unique but very beautiful! =)

So I’m new to the forum thing, and I’m not sure how to reply to a certain comment. But whatevs.

There’s the Largos, who are an underwater species, but can still go above water.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Largos

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jishika.8206

Jishika.8206

Jishika.8206

So I’m new to the forum thing, and I’m not sure how to reply to a certain comment. But whatevs.

There’s the Largos, who are an underwater species, but can still go above water.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Largos

Wow O_O’ Anet was ahead of me hehe then they should make them playable! =)
Still, more underwater races would be nice to see, land guilds vs water guilds that could be somthing.

(edited by Jishika.8206)

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

If they are ever a playable race, I would like to see the largos have different skin colors and wing colors, and different wing designs. They could be located in the waters around the Ring of Fire, or the waters around the Crystal Desert.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ruruuiye.8912

Ruruuiye.8912

Skritt all the way. You play as a mob of three just like Karka hatchlings. One Skritt holds the mainhand. Another Skritt holds the offhand. The third holds utility. You fully name your first Skritt and pick two letters for the others that replace the first two letters of your name.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

When it proms you to show all content it just means someone linked a youtube video. Go ahead an allow it to be shown. Then you will see all the nifty options like the arrow to quote and respond

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

@ Ruruuiye I was just working on my map completion. I went through Skrittsburg, and though “Man, it would be fun to play as a Skritt!” So I came back here to post about it, and you already had the idea! haha.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: pikpikbak.9207

pikpikbak.9207

Important things to keep in mind for characters to get full potential:
- is a potential story possible to be made up?
- is there a capital city for them?
- does the capital city have potential for a race?
- do character models match?
- who is the potential enemy?
- how is the race effected by the dragons?

<snip>
Tengu
- Unknown – Yes – Yes – Yes – Unknown – Unknown
<snip>

The Tengu (Genzhou Talonrend, to be specific: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Genzhou_Talonrend) actually mention that Destroyers are appearing on both sides of the wall separating the Dominion of Winds from the rest of Tyria, so there’s your dragon mention.

As for enemies, it could be one of the four houses, potentially going against the emperor’s wishes.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Immersturm.6097

Immersturm.6097

Perhaps this is just me, but I openly want races like the Skritt, the Hylek, and the Quaggan to be playable. The biggest obstacle, in my opinion, would most likely have to be the distinct lack of animation options that they have. Take the Asura dance, for instance—doing the robot up and down on a dock in Lion’s Arch, their ears twitching in time with their dance moves. The Quaggans, Skritt, and so on don’t have anything nearly as complex; hell, even in cutscenes involving them, all they do is move their mouths in time with their words (and awkwardly too, might I add).

Is it possible that they’ll be playable in the future? Absolutely—but only with a severe overhaul to their existing models, which sounds like ripe territory for any expansion.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Between I found something:

According to the Making of Guild Wars 2 book, the tengu were a strong candidate for the playable races, with the Dominion of Winds to be their starter city.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

I’m just gonna make my own game, with blackjack… and hookers!

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ziploc Samurai.4186

Ziploc Samurai.4186

Kodan as a playable race! I’d buy whatever necessary to play as one.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Okiru.7635

Okiru.7635

Centaurs- I think this would make all those people who want to have mounts happy. It would also be very unique as I don’t know of any MMO with a Centaur playable race. As far as lore, just make it a group who see the dragons as the bigger problem and rebel against their brothers to unite with the other races.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

I never thought of how it would satisfy the people who want mounts!

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aeri.5738

Aeri.5738

I want to be able to play as one of those Polarteddies running around in the northern areas.
They look so majestic and powerfull :O

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2.” – Well, I guess you really failed, ANet!
Update 5.9.2013: getting better ANet, still way to go!
A Lannister always pays his debts – For everyone else, there’s Mastercard.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vitus Dance.4509

Vitus Dance.4509

Skritt get my vote.
Believe, if you will that it’s all about the ‘shinies’, but they’ve a secret agenda just waiting to happen…

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Polarteddies???

Kodan? haha

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

Is it possible that they’ll be playable in the future? Absolutely.

Unfortunately it’s not that simple. Hylek, ogres, grawl, quaggan and skritt all are considered lesser races, and serve a direct purpose within the personal story line. Not only that, a considerable lack of a capital city for each race, the lack of technological and societal advancements as well hamper the ability for the lesser races to become playable races. While they don’t need to be asura level technological masters, they do need to have some basic aspects that would qualify them to rise above the term lesser race.

That would not only mean a significant overhaul lorewise, but would also require drastic changes to occur in game as well. Not only would they need their own personal stories for each race, but they would also need all that extra voice acting, significant model updates and changes along with updates to animations as well. It’s not a simple task that simply requires a few changes, gameplay, lore, personal stories, dungeons etc. all would be affected by the change.

I’m not saying that it can never be a possibility, but it would require an overwhelmingly large amount of work to be done to change a lesser race into a playable race.

The tengu are a different matter in that they were heavily considered as a playable race, and due to their possible reintroduction into the future, there is very little established in the game world considering the tengu, alongside an area that could clearly be made a capital city for the tengu. Though there would also need to be significant changes to models for the tengu, and perhaps animation changes too.

(edited by castlemanic.3198)

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

I think there should be 2 new races for each expansion. they added 2 classes per expansion in GW1, so why not?

There should be:
Cantha – Hylek, and Tengu (however, I would love to play as a Warden), and expand areas south of Echovald Forest.
Elona – Centaurs and Undead (they have tons of animations, and armor for them already) Centaurs in Vabbi and Kourma, and Undead, who are being controlled by Palawa Joko in The Desolation.
Tyria – Add Kodan, and expand North to the Far Shiverpeaks, where the Kodan can be living.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: alamore.1974

alamore.1974

I would just quickly like to point out that this is true for every single player race already.

Humans – bandits
Charr – flame legion
Asura – inquest
Sylvari – nightmare court and
Norn – sons of Svanir

Is anybody overly confused by any of this?

Hylek are already fighting them selfs.
The blues greens and cooler colers(not as deadly poisin)
Fight reds oranges browns( warmer colors)
The coolers colors are currently allied with the asurans selling them poisins and remidies and cures. The asurans even prais and aknowledge how ipressive they are of the hylek alchemist.
Not to mentionvthat if the hylekblive in more of a city enviroment they would reproduce verry fast.

Hylek would be verry easy to impliment into gw2.
As for armors id be easy to do since there is already heavy armor that you can see some hylek wearing.