[Merged] Think "Mounts" outside the box!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

I too would suggest mounts as mostly cosmetic, but I also feel there is some potential in making them environmental weapons. I mean how cool would it be to ride with the Seraph Cavalry against the Centaur, race a Charr Chugger through Ascalon’s winding hills, or take command of an Asura Mobile Siege Platforms, or ride with some Sylvari through the Maguuma on the backs of Timber Wolves.

Frankly though, I also wouldn’t mind seeing just horses and models for such things in-game to add some atmosphere. I’m a bit of a lore nerd so I’d love to know what each race does for mounted cavalry and what other implements of war they might have. It’s kind of annoying how many MMOs have these armies in their lore which never use their vehicles or at least we never see them make use of them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sickle.6502

Sickle.6502

That is simple, they don’t use Cavalry, they use Artillery if anything.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

I don`t see how an added option to a game can be so breaking when everyone would have access to it. Make a hidemount option and make them only have out of combat run speed and you won`t have any problems with them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Equinox.4968

Equinox.4968

I don`t see how an added option to a game can be so breaking when everyone would have access to it. Make a hidemount option and make them only have out of combat run speed and you won`t have any problems with them.

It’s still going to break the game because EVERYTHING was designed around the idea of never having mounts. Imagine taking a thoroughly medieval game like Skyrim and adding modern guns as an official update. Sure, they could be “comparable” to bows and spells, but the game was never designed to accomodate guns. They’d have to do a tremendous amount of work to balance things, and even then, things wouldn’t be quite right. Whether you like it or not, this game was built not to have mounts. It’s all there: the waypoints, the swiftness boon and its availability to just about everyone, jumping puzzles, hard-to-traverse terrain, etc. Again, Guild Wars 1 never had mounts and everything turned out just fine for Arenanet. Why add something that the developers never wanted or intended to add, that the game was built around the premise of not having, and that really wouldn’t add anything significant to gameplay—and would in fact cause problems?

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

How exactly is this game designed with the idea of never having mounts? That makes no sense at all. You already have access to speed boosts. How is a mounted speed boost going to change anything that isn`t already dealt with the normal speed boosts? Mobs aren`t going to hit you for more damage because you have a mount, they aren`t going to chain cripple you more then they already do because you have a mount. It`s no different then a speed signet with a graphic attached to it. Tell me exactly how the game was designed against it again?

in Suggestions

Elric.6971

@Equinox
Uhhh… Okay, that’s a fairly unique look at things. Nevermind that guns in Skyrim could mechanically bows and arrows or crossbows with a reskin and maybe a few odd benefits and drawbacks here or there.

And as Bane, it’s really as bane pointed out, it’s all how to handle things.

For example, if we had mounts cosmetic speed boosts four out of combat only, then we’d get dismounted if we take too many hits. On the flipside, if we give it combat abilities, it becomes like an environmental weapon along the lines of the Asura Battlesuit.

Really, the trickiest part with mounts is all in aesthetics and figuring how you want to do them. Also, strafing. TOR and City got around this by giving mounts that either could reasonably strafe (due to being animals that could turn on a dime or because the vehicle hovered). But it probably would seem silly to be riding a charr chugger and for that thing to turn on a dime to drive sideways like the usual sidestep (no pun intended) of avoiding strafing animations.

in Suggestions

Equinox.4968

How exactly is this game designed with the idea of never having mounts? That makes no sense at all. You already have access to speed boosts. How is a mounted speed boost going to change anything that isn`t already dealt with the normal speed boosts? Mobs aren`t going to hit you for more damage because you have a mount, they aren`t going to chain cripple you more then they already do because you have a mount. It`s no different then a speed signet with a graphic attached to it. Tell me exactly how the game was designed against it again?

The game was designed for certain classes to have certain access to swiftness and/or passive speed boosts. Four of the eight classes, for example, don’t have signets that increase speed passively by 25%. I’m sure this was done on purpose. Other classes, like Mesmers and Necros, don’t really have a reliable way to apply swiftness to groups and only have limited access to swiftness for themselves. What you’re suggesting is that EVERYONE should be able to have 25% or greater speed boosts all the time, and that’s just not the way the game was designed. Also, our speed was deliberately limited so that we’d more or less have to make use of the waypoint system. If everyone has a mount, then the waypoint system becomes moot, and so do the passive signet speed boosts enjoyed by half of the classes at present.

in Suggestions

Equinox.4968

@Equinox
Uhhh… Okay, that’s a fairly unique look at things. Nevermind that guns in Skyrim could mechanically bows and arrows or crossbows with a reskin and maybe a few odd benefits and drawbacks here or there.

Sure, there are mods…but I’m saying that you should imagine that after release, Bethesda puts semi-realistic guns into the game. Even a simple handgun fires faster than any bow, crossbow, or spell in the game, and even at low damage levels, it would be pretty imbalanced. The whole game would need to be balanced around this new mechanic that was NEVER intended to be part of the core, non-modded game.

In other threads, people have complained that there are only 5 playable classes. Anet has also stated explicitly (I can’t give you a cite, but I and others can confirm it’s official) that the game has been balanced around the cultures, cities, and territory of exactly five races, and that there are no new races planned. In fact, they’ve gone so far as to say that new races are pretty much next-to-last in terms of planned additions, with new classes being the very bottom. They put tremendous effort into creating five races, and to add more at this point would simply be too labor-intensive to be feasible. Likewise with mounts. Heck, there aren’t even horses in the lore except for Necrid Horsemen from Orr in GW1, and they’re all gone by the end of the GW1 story. Simply put, the devs DO NOT want mounts in this game, at least not in the traditional sense. It’s not simply a question of “what would be cool.” You need a much more compelling justification to add something like that.

Really, the trickiest part with mounts is all in aesthetics and figuring how you want to do them. Also, strafing. TOR and City got around this by giving mounts that either could reasonably strafe (due to being animals that could turn on a dime or because the vehicle hovered). But it probably would seem silly to be riding a charr chugger and for that thing to turn on a dime to drive sideways like the usual sidestep (no pun intended) of avoiding strafing animations.

Hence why the skins, if any, should be no more than character-sized, like the broom. I’ve seen the speeders in TOR and they look ridiculous. Imagine LA, with all its crowds in the popular areas, populated by people in vehicle-sized mounts. That would get ridiculous really fast, and everyone would probably turn off the display mounts option—and then what would the point be if they were merely aesthetic?

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

I still don`t really understand your point. Yeah, certain classes have speed signets or whatever. So what? Does that mean the game can never change or go in different directions? Look at how ascended are replacing exotics when it was sworn up and down that exotics would be the end all gear to worry about. I think you are imagining that a mount is going to turn you into superman or something when it wouldn`t even be an issue for most players. You either use a mount or you don`t. Nothing in the game needs to change, the waypoints are still there, the speed signets and buffs are still there.

If you really stopped to think of the limited use a mount would provide, it wouldn`t be as big an issue as most make it out to be.

in Suggestions

Elric.6971

Forgive my 4channisms but…
>realistic handguns
you also realize that realistic swords, realistic bows and arrows, practically one-shotted people in all but fullplate, right? And yet how do games handle that? By not making their swords very realistic in terms of killing power. (Or the justification of dealing with non-realistic enemies, like demons, who preceivably could just shrug off being repeatedly slashed from shoulder to hip; a dozen times, in which case I think realistic guns are still fine)

So in the end, what does this mean? Don’t do realistic mounts! Just like how everything about GW2 isn’t realistic, it’s meant to feel more like the illustrations to an epic storybook. All that’s missing is for killing blows against enemies to result in some exaggerated, fitting death animation.

finally, as you said, mounts don’t have to be big. make the charr mount a motorcycle and make it sleek enough to conceivably ride around in cities. You just gotta think a bit about how these things need to be done.

in Suggestions

Posted by: warllockmaster.1379

warllockmaster.1379

My dear fellow players what I see as a great confusing here is: If you are that happy about mounts? Why pick a game that do not not have it?

But Back to topic!
My following reasons why I disagree with the ideas of bringing in mounts:
1. One of the main reasons Humanity is having a difficult time against the centaurs is because of the lack of Calvary. Bringing out mounts would require a huge rewritten in many races’ lore.
2. The very foundation of this game was designed to a world with out mobs, where players explore a world on their feet, battle monsters for their life and dive down in water to discover treasures, or they climb a difficult and strange puzzle.
3. mounts lead to more mounts, more mounts lead to different mounts-different mounts lead to prize mounts.
4. I kitten well right enjoy this nontraditional MMORPG: the way its battle system is limited to a few but useable attacks, how the weapon decide what attacks you can acces, how each and every profession (no not class) has its own unique things etc: Engineers and their kits-eles and their conjured weapons. And the lack of mounts, elitismen, mainstream speccs ( even though people do their best to enforce it-death to zerker fan boys!)
5. I have yet to see one suggestion about mounts that is about adding a greater interest to the community, I only see reasons of self enjoyment and thus I cannot support the idea .
6. So many other games have mounts-if people are so happy about them why don’t you play them?
7. This is no W.o.W would please stop trying to change guildwars 2 to it?
8. Engineers rule.
9. If A-net summit to this demand, they will just end up like blizzard did with their MMORPG.
10. Who ever tried to use the ascended weapons and gear coming up as an argument to why mounts should get in-first they were promised ages-aswell as Legendary armor.
it is stated that after ascended not exotic, is the end (+legendary)

Feel free to rage at me, or any other childish attempt I like my view of things, and I shall not feel to afraid to state them!
Come at me BROOKAHS.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yoshino.3982

Yoshino.3982

How about skills that make temporaily motorcycles? Cool idea!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

1. No Anet can write up any lore they want to explain something …for example a clever asura may have discovered a location in the mist where horses are still in existence and you can go there and tame one.
2. It can also be un-designed as well….take for example the newest Living Story they could just as well made it so that Scarlett has prevented all use of waypoints in the area. Not to mention that most are thinking of a mount system that does not interfere with any of the current mechanism of the game.
3. You say this as if its a bad thing…the more the better our choices and that includes your choice to not get one at all, but let the rest rub out whatever it takes to get there prized beauty.
4. I personally do not want Anet to bring in an old mount system that all other mmo’s currently have, I want a marriage of all three types of mounts into a Nontraditional Mount System…The Beauty of Cosmetic Mounts, the Graceful Speed of Fast Mounts 25% continuous trot or gallop and some mounts to have temporary speed bursts up to 50% for very small bursts skill like 2 seconds and the Usefulness of Combat Mounts that I can Fight with as One. I think on a balance issue the mount system could be a skill that you have to learn to place on your utility bar the same as an engineer uses a flamethrower and once activated you could ride the mount and use the skills that creature has in its kitten nal, so you would get a replaced skill bar for 1-5. One idea I had was for a skill that you could throw a downed player a rope and then drag them out of aggro(red circles)and rez them, but that skill would be for certain types of mounts, as I think if they go this route the skills should reflect the gw2 trinity- control, damage, and support. And also create a mount tab in the hero panel much like the one for Finishers where as you collect different mounts within the trinity on your account though the gems store, dungeons, living story, and world drops, they will be added and you can tell the system which one you display while using the skill.
5. I have yet to see one denial that adds anything at all.
6. I have and do play them and yet there is one thing in my mind that I get when I play other games, is the feel of your control over your character in game. Most do not have the FEEL that GW2 and Wow have. These two mmo’s have put time into that, how when you move around it feels natural, you don’t think in your head how clunky or jittery or just complete slop the controls feel and for that reason I would expect that any animation on top of any kind of mount done from Anet would have that Superb Feel that you can not get from just any mmo out there.
7. You are right this is not WOW, stop thinking that Anet would completely copy the design that wow has. I know that if Anet brings anything into the game it will be something new or very unique like I have suggested and this video @ 11:20 Colin pretty much says what I think too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z33KFeMRMA
8. Not sure what you trying to get at, I like my Engineer too and thinks she could have come up with a personal transport of the mechanical nature a long time ago….the charr have mechanical transports yet we don’t get to rage war in them….I am all for a much larger area in the mist that all out Mount Warfare could take place in.
9. Whats that Number One in the MMO business. I know quite a few gw2 players who are playing other games that would come back and play again if mounts came.
10. I am not using this to case a point so no comment.

Not Raging at you just doing the same, I like my ideas and I don’t mind stating them as well. I hope you could see some possibility with my design ideas for a nontraditional mount system.

in Suggestions

Posted by: dbgamer.3407

dbgamer.3407

It’s still going to break the game because EVERYTHING was designed around the idea of never having mounts. Imagine taking a thoroughly medieval game like Skyrim and adding modern guns as an official update. Sure, they could be “comparable” to bows and spells, but the game was never designed to accomodate guns. They’d have to do a tremendous amount of work to balance things, and even then, things wouldn’t be quite right. Whether you like it or not, this game was built not to have mounts. It’s all there: the waypoints, the swiftness boon and its availability to just about everyone, jumping puzzles, hard-to-traverse terrain, etc. Again, Guild Wars 1 never had mounts and everything turned out just fine for Arenanet. Why add something that the developers never wanted or intended to add, that the game was built around the premise of not having, and that really wouldn’t add anything significant to gameplay—and would in fact cause problems?

Disagree with this entirely.

I don’t think you can say accurately that the game was designed to NEVER have mounts. There are certain areas that don’t make sense to have mounts, but why couldn’t you have mounts in open world, that don’t jump? That way you could just travel the open fields on mounts, and not use them in jumping puzzles etc.

Why do mounts have to = speed boost? why can’t it just be an aesthetic thing?

There are always options to make this work. People are for some reason thinking mounts = flying high speed dragon that allows you to fly over people and to the top of JP’s. I don’t think anyone has said this.

In an ideal scenario, I’d like to see mounts in open world that allow speed boosts, that you can jump with and potentially have in cities.

In a more realistic world, mounts would be:
- Open world only, no jumping, no wvw, no pvp, no JP’s, no dungeons, no caves, no open water, and no speed boost.

Lastly, people are forgetting, a mount exists in the game already!!
The broomstick is technically a mount. It doesn’t give the player any advantages, or cause any problems, it’s simply a graphic that is appealing and different for you to travel around on.

Arkenell of Fort Aspenwood

in Suggestions

Equinox.4968

I know quite a few gw2 players who are playing other games that would come back and play again if mounts came.

I think I’m done with this thread. If these things are just supposed to be purely aesthetic, and people would come back to a game they already chose to quit simply because of one new aesthetic option, that’s just ridiculous. We already have more than enough pure aesthetics in the gem store, and I don’t see the point of adding a bunch of purely aesthetic mounts just for the sake of having them. It will add nothing to the game other than new gem store sales and sheer appearance. Even more ridiculous is the idea that people would be enticed to come back on the sole basis that there’s a new shiny thing to collect and/or ride. I’d rather that they keep this a nontraditional MMO and not submit to people insisting that traditional features should be added just for the sake of having them and without any real reason other than “I want it.” So because I know that further responses to this thread will just raise my blood pressure, I won’t post here again.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

I know quite a few gw2 players who are playing other games that would come back and play again if mounts came.

I think I’m done with this thread. If these things are just supposed to be purely aesthetic, and people would come back to a game they already chose to quit simply because of one new aesthetic option, that’s just ridiculous. We already have more than enough pure aesthetics in the gem store, and I don’t see the point of adding a bunch of purely aesthetic mounts just for the sake of having them. It will add nothing to the game other than new gem store sales and sheer appearance. Even more ridiculous is the idea that people would be enticed to come back on the sole basis that there’s a new shiny thing to collect and/or ride. I’d rather that they keep this a nontraditional MMO and not submit to people insisting that traditional features should be added just for the sake of having them and without any real reason other than “I want it.” So because I know that further responses to this thread will just raise my blood pressure, I won’t post here again.

You Quote me yet did not read my post since you call me out for things that I KNOW that I am not guilty of….I never said I want a non speed buffed or aesthetic only mount, I said I want a new mount system that combines all three type of mounts into a New Non-Traditional Mount System, a marriage of them that would align with the weapon bundle system, similar to how engineer’s use the Flamethrower, with skills that would replace the 1-5 on your bar giving new skills to use in combat that have a working kind of sense for the mount that you are driving. That has Gw2 written all over it, its something no one will see as something done in other games or as you say traditional. Yes I asked for a 25% speed continuous speed which is in my view not game breaking since you have to equip the mount into a skill slot and you would have to do the same with a signet that would give the same effect. A select few mounts getting one of there skills that gives a small speed buff to 50% for 2 seconds, some might get a skill that allows you to pull a downed played out of red circles to rez them at a distance. I know they are not beyond adding a new skill to what everyone has got since the latest LS added the new heal Antitoxin Spray.

And given how easy it is to put the game down and come back to it months later, they would not come back for a “New Broom” but have agreed with me and like my idea and have verbally stated that if they did that and added my idea for a WvW type map in the Mist, that allowed for that kind of all out mounted combat to play out in, they would drop the subscription based game they are currently playing as the main form of entertainment and come back to Gw2. I never said this, but come a few patches some came back for a few days do the meta and then go back to the other game. Its hard to put down another game when you are dedicated to paying the stupid subscription. Since the way GW2 is designed if something major like this was added or an expansion I know it would make the transition a lot easier and feeling the loss of those dollars over having fun makes all the difference.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sickle.6502

Sickle.6502

Gaining more players and possibly ruining it for many existing players is not something GW will gladly do.
Unlike other games out there, GW2 caters for their exisiting player base, and not the possible newcomers.
I still say NO to mounts, the game needs to keep it’s unique feel, and no mounts is a way of doing this.

in Suggestions

Posted by: warllockmaster.1379

warllockmaster.1379

I respect your reasons, Gummy, and I am glad to see you can respect mine.

Now 8. was just a fact.
as for 4# To me that is a bad thing.
And a lot of mount wanters, also wants guildwars 2 to basically have everything there is in W.O.W Why it was brought up.

I can of course see clearly why you wish of mounts and such.
But really if you pick a game cos of mounts? <
Maybe you should reconsider why you buy the gem-no offense meant of course.

Regardless I wish you a good experience in the land of Tyria.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Charons.6037

Charons.6037

Just here to say: No. Waypoints are enough for travel, and as for cosmetics, they already exist.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

No.
This isnt WoW, this is GW.
Use your kittening feet.
You will probably ask for housing next right?

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in Suggestions

Elric.6971

One thing I will never get about this community is why everyone seems to think that adding mounts will instantly make it WoW, or that the people who request it are WoW players.

I have never played WoW, and yet I would still enjoy mounts, if only to see what kind of interesting things every race would have for mounts or even full vehicles, I would like for something faster than just the usual swiftness boon but something I can still enjoy the scenery with, I would like them for character concepts, and most of all, I would like them for diversity, to give players even more freedom of different means of exploring, or even open up the idea of mounted races.

I would also like to seriously ask: would anyone in this thread honestly leave GW2 if mounts were added? And what is this absolute hatred of the idea? Is it solely because WoW had mounts, thus making them bad? (In which case, we better get rid of swords and magic since those are in WoW too) Or is there an actual reason?

(edited by Elric.6971)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

Mounts are already in Guild Wars 2 example of these are brooms. I would say airships in Guild Wars 2 are flying mounts.

@Stand The Wall.6987 Player Housing and Guild Halls are somethings that we look forward to. They will definitely come to Guild Wars 2 as Colin Johanson said on PAX, they are being developed.

(edited by Exosferatu.2961)

in Suggestions

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

I totally agree with adding land mounts to this game. Plus, it’s fun to ride to the rescue. Flying mounts wouldn’t make sense in Tyria since there aren’t any floating cities in this game.

Riding a mount would make it easier to find crafting supplies since I hate buying crafting stuff from TP. On some maps, the ores and saplings are pretty far from each other (like the Gendaran map), and there have been days where I don’t see any ores, saplings, or veggies on the little map.

In Guild Wars 1, there was a temporary mount called the Charr Siege Devourer that your character could ride. I would love to see a faster version of that tank in Guild Wars 2.

If they do make mounts for this game, it would be great if characters from all races could ride the different mounts. Imagine a Charr riding a horse (LOL!). That would make this game distinct from World of Warcraft. In WOW, you have to be a human to ride a horse, so my Draenei character was stuck with riding an Elekk.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kozume.9035

Kozume.9035

Mounts are one thing out of many that World of Warcraft did wrong. It ruins exploration.

Now all of the kids cry out that everything in WoW must be in every other MMO just because WoW was the first MMO they played.

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

Mounts are one thing out of many that World of Warcraft did wrong. It ruins exploration.

Now all of the kids cry out that everything in WoW must be in every other MMO just because WoW was the first MMO they played.

I think it`s hilarious that most people think world of warcraft was the like the first mmo ever made. Mounts have been in games from as back as 2000 and possibly even earlier, at least 3d mmo`s. There is a reason that mounts are in almost every mmo and that is because they are fun and makes non waypoint type travel more enjoyable.

Looking back over all the games I have played in the past 13 years, I can`t really name one of them that mounts had any negative effect in that made me stop and think they shouldn`t be there. If anything, the mounts made those games more fun to play once you got one. I really don`t see this game being any different if they were added.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

You know, the more comparison I see people make between WoW and GW 2, my eye begins to twitch even more.

I haven’t played WoW so I won’t even compare, however, I did play Everquest and there were mounts in that game and it taught me one thing and one thing only about Mounts:

While great in many ways, and horrible in others, the people programmed mounts into EQ and made them INSANELY expensive. While they did that, Mounts also unofficially became an icon for players who had the means to get one and then rubbed it into all the faces of the players who couldn’t afford them.

Mounts in GW 2? It would be nothing more than a novelty. What logical reason would there be for the use of a Mount in a game that has instant travel?

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

yet another useless topic about mounts.
Arenanet has said: We are NOT putting mounts in the game, otherwise you can fly over content which is meant to be played. deal with it and move on.

Otherwise you can do the train runs in Qeensdale [Vale waypoint][Phinney waypoint][Krytan waypoint] and ignore all events which are meant to be played
Having a flying mount will be way cooler then the WP system

(edited by Ronah.2869)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

If players wanted mounts in the first place, players would have bought the broom and drill enough to show that those things are desirable. In turn, arenanet would make more to sell like the infinite tools.

However, that never happened.

Now even though this horse has been beaten way more than the thieves horse and the same arguments have been thrown around for possibly (and literally) the 1000th time I have a question to ask:

What in blue blazes makes you think arenanet is going to change the whole game just so arenanet could make mounts for a minority.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Mounts are already in Guild Wars 2 example of these are brooms. I would say airships in Guild Wars 2 are flying mounts.

@Stand The Wall.6987 Player Housing and Guild Halls are somethings that we look forward to. They will definitely come to Guild Wars 2 as Colin Johanson said on PAX, they are being developed.

I welcome guild halls but housing is the ultimate no lifing experience. Its so kittening pointless.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in Suggestions

Kozume.9035

I think it`s hilarious that most people think world of warcraft was the like the first mmo ever made. Mounts have been in games from as back as 2000 and possibly even earlier, at least 3d mmo`s. There is a reason that mounts are in almost every mmo and that is because they are fun and makes non waypoint type travel more enjoyable.

Looking back over all the games I have played in the past 13 years, I can`t really name one of them that mounts had any negative effect in that made me stop and think they shouldn`t be there. If anything, the mounts made those games more fun to play once you got one. I really don`t see this game being any different if they were added.

If you’re going to quote my post, then respond to what I’m saying.

First off, I didn’t say WoW was the first MMO ever made. I said that people beg for things from WoW because it’s the first game they played. Chances are you’ll still not understand this, but that’s okay. You don’t have to minsunderstand my posts, and you don’t have to quote them if you misunderstand them.

Secondly, my post already addressed your “I can`t really name one of them that mounts had any negative effect.”

You want mounts because either:
A. So you can go faster than normal running speed, this can be achieved by other means besides mounts. So it’s not a valid argument.
B. They allow you to ride past monsters. This ruins exploration as demonstrated in WoW and makes you immune to encounters. Not a valid argument.
C. You want this game to be like WoW or [insert other MMO here] but this game isn’t that MMO so you beg for things from that game where it has no place. “Because it’s in other games” isn’t a valid argument.
D. You like the aesthetic appeal of them. But let’s face it, you want it because of the other reasons as you have so pointed out.

Of all things you can complain about, mounts aren’t an issue.

(edited by Kozume.9035)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I kind of like the idea of mounts purely because my character looks cool riding a Dolyak or Bonedragon (I should know). I’m less worried about the implementation, because lets face it, Anet has managed to make mounts fit Guild Wars before, so they can do it again. Its not like mounts are a new thing to the world of Guild Wars.

Are they needed? No, of course not. But this is a suggestions forum, and people not only suggest things that are needed, they also suggest things that would be cool new additions to the game. It’s no different than asking for a new cool looking armor, or a new feature like guild halls -cough-.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Ronah.2869

No.
This isnt WoW, this is GW.
Use your kittening feet.
You will probably ask for housing next right?

In a super advanced society where we see flying ships, war machines with wheels, elevators and all sorts of “traveling technology” we are forced to run on foot. What a lame situation. Really man. they invented motorcycles with guns just to fight the risen in the last story missions in Orr?

in Suggestions

Ronah.2869

Now even though this horse has been beaten way more than the thieves horse and the same arguments have been thrown around for possibly (and literally) the 1000th time I have a question to ask:

What in blue blazes makes you think arenanet is going to change the whole game just so arenanet could make mounts for a minority.

The MMO market trend?
They seem to follow it closely with achievement grind every 2 weeks, meta skin chests and RNG chests and ascended and legendary being better then exotics, cash shop skins, boosters or all sorts, etc. GW1 had none of these in the cash shop

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

I wanted mounts at first, but after playing Gw2 for a while now I’ve kind of grown used to my Norn running at a snails pace.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Carlos.4371

Carlos.4371

No to mounts. Mounts aren’t anything but just pure prestige objects to show off around. GW2 may have gotten a regular MMO quite much if you compare it with GW1, but it has kept some good things from there, like having no mounts.

If you have been a GW1 player, you got used to the world, to your character, to the setting etc, mounts just didn’t fit to the game in any aspect, and they still don’t fit to GW2 at all.

The whole game design avoids mounts as it did in GW1, you won’t see important persons riding mounts, the lore also avoids mounts in many ways. Instead, the game has waypoints at all places, you can reach everything very fast. There is no need for mounts if you just use the speed as argument.

Please get over it, this is not WoW or any other MMO with so much bling bling stuff. We have enough of those things in GW2, isn’t that enough?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Doobie.4795

Doobie.4795

No to mounts. Mounts aren’t anything but just pure prestige objects to show off around. GW2 may have gotten a regular MMO quite much if you compare it with GW1, but it has kept some good things from there, like having no mounts.

If you have been a GW1 player, you got used to the world, to your character, to the setting etc, mounts just didn’t fit to the game in any aspect, and they still don’t fit to GW2 at all.
nope, we want full size dragon flying mounts.
The whole game design avoids mounts as it did in GW1, you won’t see important persons riding mounts, the lore also avoids mounts in many ways. Instead, the game has waypoints at all places, you can reach everything very fast. There is no need for mounts if you just use the speed as argument.

Please get over it, this is not WoW or any other MMO with so much bling bling stuff. We have enough of those things in GW2, isn’t that enough?

Nope. We want full size dragon flying mounts.

in Suggestions

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Ehhh, GW1 did have mounts. Which game have you been playing? One of the most awesome mounts was the Siege Devourer. And of course the Junundu Wurm.

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

It’s interesting to see that QueenHysteria.1084 has made no effort in contributing any further to the thread she started four days ago.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

First off, I didn’t say WoW was the first MMO ever made. I said that people beg for things from WoW because it’s the first game they played. Chances are you’ll still not understand this, but that’s okay. You don’t have to minsunderstand my posts, and you don’t have to quote them if you misunderstand them..

I didn`t say you did. I said I thought it was hilarious that some people do. I think you might be the one misunderstanding. Touchy aren`t we?

Secondly, my post already addressed your “I can`t really name one of them that mounts had any negative effect.”.

If you say so.

You want mounts because either:
A. So you can go faster than normal running speed, this can be achieved by other means besides mounts. So it’s not a valid argument..

If I ride a motorcycle, does that mean I can`t drive a car as well?

B. They allow you to ride past monsters. This ruins exploration as demonstrated in WoW and makes you immune to encounters. Not a valid argument…

I can run past monsters now as it is. Just because you do it unhindered in warcraft doesn`t mean it would be the same way here if they were put in. Mounts would probably have combat speed penalties and cripple effects applied to them too.

C. You want this game to be like WoW or [insert other MMO here] but this game isn’t that MMO so you beg for things from that game where it has no place. “Because it’s in other games” isn’t a valid argument….

I don`t see anyone begging for mounts. I see people suggesting them because they like them. And how exactly wouldn`t they have a place? This is a fictional reality where anything is possible and could be implemented. Just because there are waypoints all over the map doesn`t mean you couldn`t please your customers and add in optional travel methods.

D. You like the aesthetic appeal of them. But let’s face it, you want it because of the other reasons as you have so pointed out…..

Yes, I would like a mount so I can run faster when I roam around the maps. What do you care?

In the end though, your argument is pretty weak. Not wanting the game to be like another is weak jab. That is like the first thing everyone who don`t like suggestions says. Look at all the games out that have borrowed or stolen something from another game at one time or another. Including this one. They couldn`t possibly ruin exploration if mounts had the same penalties running on foot has. So those are invalid, come up with something better.

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

I`m curious of what exactly would have to change if mounts were added.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Flamealchemist.2681

Flamealchemist.2681

Or how about you get a chance to buy the costmetic horse, only and only if you have world completion?
how does that sounds?
we already went through the content once….so whats the harm then.
and it wouldnt hurt to buy it with gift of exploration…..

in Suggestions

Posted by: Carlos.4371

Carlos.4371

Ehhh, GW1 did have mounts. Which game have you been playing? One of the most awesome mounts was the Siege Devourer. And of course the Junundu Wurm.

Yeah great, 2 gigantic things you could be inside not for long (Devourer only 1 person in group, Junundo only in a MISSION)…they don’t count as the typical mount in any way which you would see in other MMOs to travel faster…imagine people having those as permanent “mounts”, how stupid would that be?!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Drowsy.9241

Drowsy.9241

Hi everyone! I thought I would just give my opinion on how I think Anet can make mounts viable for Guild Wars 2, if they ever decided to lean in that direction, which currently they are not as far as I can see. Honestly mounts are not necessary because of the Waypoint system in the game, as well as the benefit of map exploration. However, I believe that there is a smart way to implement mounts into the game if the time ever arises where the demand for mounts rises.

The first thing I want to state is that Guild Wars 2 should NEVER have flying mounts. Guild Wars 2 is a game that has map exploration as one of its core concepts. On every single map there are vistas to reach via jumping puzzles, Points of interests on top of cliffs and underwater, Waypoints all over, along with a healthy number of skill points on the map.

All of these objectives give the player experience for discovering these areas on the map. Flying mounts would completely negate the concept of map exploration. the Flying mount would also allow you to fly over areas on the map that have tons of world events that you can participate in, which they may end of skipping because they dont detect in on their map. This is robbing the players of content they may want to partake in. Now there are definitely going to be people that say, “well I want to skip over those events anyway.” That is fine, every player has their own style of doing things in the game. However, not only are you missing out on these events on the map, think of all the crafting materials you are missing.

In Guild Wars 2, the game has a healthy crafting system that players enjoy. by skipping these nodes, you are missing a lot of valuable materials, as well as potentially large sums of gold. In short, Flying mounts are not just a bad idea for players easily obtaining objectives on the map, but also it takes away from map exploration for the player, dampening the overall experience of the game.

Now to talk about how I think mounts should be implemented into the game, if the time comes that mounts become popular and in demand by the community. I will start by saying that mounts should not give significant bonuses to players that have them over players that do not. That being said, I do believe that all mounts should have the player the base movement speed 25% increase.

Now before players start saying this is an unfair advantage, I have to point something out. Most classes in the game have a utility skill that gives the class a 25% base movement speed increase. This means that even if the mount has that 25% movement speed increase, players would still be able to run as fast as the mount on foot, meaning the mount would give no advantage over players that did not have the mount. Now i know classes such as the guardian would still be unhappy with this. As a guardian myself, I know that we have no utility that gives us a base increase of 25% on our movement speed. However, in order to counter this, I went ahead and bought Superior Runes of Speed on my Guardian, so that I could give him the 25% base movement speed increase. The runes themselves average anywherer from 12-14 gold for a set of 6, so it can be pricy for some, but it is extremely doable.

As you can see, even if the mount was to give a player that movement speed increase of 25%, it would offer no advantage over players that did not have the mount. also when swiftness is applied to the mount, it would be held to the same maximum that players without a mount would have at 33% movement speed.

Some of you may be wondering, what good is it to get a mount if I can’t move faster than everyone around the map? Well the answer lies with that 25% movement speed increase. With that movement speed increase, you no longer have to run a specific utility skill just to get that bonus. This opens a utility skill for all players using base movement speed utility skills, allowing for more skill combinations that can be used by players in the various aspects of the game, opening up new avenues for players to explore.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Drowsy.9241

Drowsy.9241

Another aspect that I think would help make mounts viable would be to have mounts have bag slots. I know that everyday I go into dungeons and fractals, I find my bag slots filling up so fast that I constantly have to deposit collectables and empty by bags during each run I do. It can be tedious and time consuming, and can often be an distraction in these instances. However, by allowing your mount to have bag slots, you will be able to mitigate your inventory in a way that is beneficial towards you. Personally I carry around 3 Armor sets for my guardian, depending on what role I want to play. I dont like leaving my armor in the bank, because depending on the situation, I often swap out my armor so that I can be more effective depending on what i need to do for my situation. The bag slots on the mount would allow me to store my armor on my mount, and open up slots in my bags for more loot, so that I dont have to constantly empty my bags during runs.

My final point for mounts is that I believe that should not be allowed in sPvP or WvW. Mounts have no place in those areas, they would just increase the number of character models on the map, causing stability issues with the server. Imagine if two zergs ran straight at eachother, everyone riding mounts into the fray. The server would crash immediately, and that would be terrible for WvW. Also the maps in sPvP are not large enough to warrant mounts, so I see them being more of a hinderance than an asset.

To summarize my post:
1. No Flying mounts
2. Mounts shouldn’t offer unfair advantages over players
3. Mounts should have a bonus movement speed of 25%, the same as many classes utility passives, and Runes that can be bought.
4. Mounts Should Have Bag Slots that players can buy for them.
5. Mounts should not be implemented in WvW and sPvP.

Thank you everyone for reading my post, feel free to comment on anything you think I may have missed, or anything you disaggree on. Again, Personally I dont feel that Guild Wars 2 needs Mounts in the game, but if Anet was to implement the system into the game, this is the only way i see it working. Thanks and I hope you guys have a great day!

in Suggestions

Zacchary.6183

I am sure if you actually read every post ever made that disagreed with you, you’de find out. However, don’t expect me to list them for you.

in Suggestions

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Yeah great, 2 gigantic things you could be inside not for long (Devourer only 1 person in group, Junundo only in a MISSION)…they don’t count as the typical mount in any way which you would see in other MMOs to travel faster…imagine people having those as permanent “mounts”, how stupid would that be?!

So what you’re basically saying, is that if mounts were implemented like the way the Siege Devourer and the Junundu Wurm were in GW1, you’d be fine with it?

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

I am sure if you actually read every post ever made that disagreed with you, you’de find out. However, don’t expect me to list them for you.

I`ve discussed back and fourth with a lot of people on this issue. Forgive me if I don`t remember who said what all the time, I don`t really keep track of names. What I do remember though is that for every complaint people made, I offered solutions to what could be a problem for some people. But there was nothing in the solutions about the game having to change or anything needing to be rebalanced because of it. All a mount is really is just a summonable speed signet with an animal attached to it. I don`t see arenanet having to rebalance or change the game for the mounts anymore then they would have to for the signets already in game. There are really only a few things that need to be done to them to even them out. And it`s really only these two things with one option. There really isn`t any reason to change anything else.

1 Make mounts only summonable out of combat

2 Make mounts get speed penalties for going in combat and let cripple and slow effects apply to the mount.

3 Make a hidemount option for the people that complain they don`t want to see them.

in Suggestions

Zacchary.6183

The complaints fall more along the lines of game optimization.

in Suggestions

Kozume.9035

In the end though, your argument is pretty weak. Not wanting the game to be like another is weak jab. That is like the first thing everyone who don`t like suggestions says. Look at all the games out that have borrowed or stolen something from another game at one time or another. Including this one. They couldn`t possibly ruin exploration if mounts had the same penalties running on foot has. So those are invalid, come up with something better.

Wanting games to be just like others is also a weak argument. You’ve also shown in your previous points that you can’t prove my argument wrong, only divert away from it.

You want mounts in a game where they are not needed, for no reason at all other than to just move faster so you can escape monsters. What’s next? The idiotic flying mounts that WoW has that ruined world encounters and exploration completely? Will that satisfy you? If so, just go back to WoW.

This game was optimized for foot travel. Running where you want to go works just fine. There’s already ways to make yourself faster if you want to, but you want this game to be a WoW clone, just like RIFT and SWTOR are. You won’t stop asking for things from WoW until this game is completely like it.

I’m tired of people begging for a WoW clone. That’s probably why they added ascended gear, to satisfy people who like to grind gear in MMOs, and it’s probably why they will continue to as well as probably raise our level cap to make all gear useless. Not every MMO has to be like WoW.

I came here for a game inspired by GW1, not WoW set in a pseudo-guildwars universe.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

I could imagine flying machines in wvw…npc controlled on a pre-determined route that you could fire cannons from and parachute off of. Zerg, look up for your gods, see only a winged eclipse, and fade into darkness. & explosions. Players in the flying machine ask the pilot to slow down or speed up.