Alpine Borderlands will be back

in WvW

Posted by: Lord of Rings.5371

Lord of Rings.5371

“Two weeks ago we polled the WvW community about Desert versus Alpine borderlands.

The majority of players asked us to bring Alpine back. We’ll do that.

It actually takes quite a bit of time to dust off old content and bring it up to the current game state, so it won’t happen in time for the quarterly release. Instead we’ll launch the quarterly update with improvements to Desert, use that as an opportunity to get the community’s feedback on those changes, then

we’ll swap to Alpine when it’s ready.

Changing borderlands maps like this will disrupt matches in progress, but we think that making changes on live servers, where everyone can test, is worth the cost."
-MO

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Upcoming-changes-in-Spring-Quarterly-Update

Fire Water Air
FA

in WvW

Posted by: Gunner Morton.8340

Gunner Morton.8340

ALPINE BORDERLANDS HYPE

I used to play WvW on Gunnar’s Hold, then I took a flawed serverlink to the knee.

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Going to be good seeing Alpine again, been missing the bloodlust area something fierce. Going to be sad to see Desert disappear entirely though (hoping for both maps as BG maps instead of BL maps!).

Anyways, gotta be the sour one here and point out:

It actually takes quite a bit of time to dust off old content and bring it up to the current game state,

While understandable, I know a lot of people are going to be un-happy about this.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Sich.7103

Sich.7103

I will probably log in again for the Alpine BL.
But if the map include all the new HoT stuff I will probably not stay…
Don’t want to play with pve grindable guild upgrade, or auto upgrade without human action…
My dream is to see the old BL with the old WvW stuff….

Not the old BL with all the HoT crap…

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

At least they are trying. Gotta give them some credit. I honestly believe the Mike B. guy is identifying issues and trying to make the wvw happy again. I gotta hand it to him for making decisions and putting himself out there.

in WvW

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I really hope that they can make some changes to Desert Borderlands, and maybe even make a 3rd like jungle borderlands or something and then have all 3 of them up at once.

But alas, that’s just wishful thinking…. at least there’ll be people to play with in WvW Borderlands again.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in WvW

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

So much effort and timed wasted and so many players lost.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

“when its ready”
ahh yeah, give it year or two and we weill release some info how its going

in WvW

Posted by: Heather.4823

Heather.4823

So pleased the old borders will be back!

Siren – Aurora Glade

in WvW

Posted by: Shadows Creed.3902

Shadows Creed.3902

What I am interested in hearing is how will the WP situation be handled. Will it go back to old way where you could use any you owned or the current way.

Company Of Traveling Heroes [CTH]- maguuma

Leader of ninja ops

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Going to play this when it comes. ^^

“We’ll do that.” (new anet motto?)

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

“When it’s ready”.

#GarrisonAirStrikeHype

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: Heather.4823

Heather.4823

What I am interested in hearing is how will the WP situation be handled. Will it go back to old way where you could use any you owned or the current way.

I hope so, this current wp situation is silly

Siren – Aurora Glade

in WvW

Lord of Rings.5371

“when it’s ready”,

probably means the implementation for those new HOT guild upgrades stuffs in Alpine Borderlands .

If you don’t want them. It is better to let everyone know now.

Fire Water Air
FA

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

I found this as total non-news. They always said that there would be some sort of rotation in the future.

Without any time frames, announcing the BL will return (not as was,but with hot tweaks) just means very little right now….

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Of course not, they will change it to current state. Thats what they need to do on the old maps.
It would be foolish to release old map where stuff is working.
They need to be sure that those side keep waypoints stay bugged.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Have they done it? No.

Have they given a date for when it’ll happen? No.

So when? “When it’s ready.”

Seriously?

(edited by Lord Kuru.3685)

in WvW

Posted by: Sich.7103

Sich.7103

Of course not, they will change it to current state. Thats what they need to do on the old maps.
It would be foolish to release old map where stuff is working.
They need to be sure that those side keep waypoints stay bugged.

Yep I fear Anet didn’t understand that a lot of players want the old WvW, not only the old map…
The old map with the HoT WvW will be the same failure as the DBL.

in WvW

Lord of Rings.5371

Alpine Borderlands will most likely be back like the current Eternal Battlegrounds with the original geometry and the HOT guild system and this might be the cause of the delay and what has been planned to

" bring it up to the current game state".

Fire Water Air
FA

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Alpine Borderlands will most likely be back like the current Eternal Battlegrounds with the original geometry and the HOT guild system and this might be the cause of the delay and what has been planned to

" bring it up to the current game state".

This is exactly what will be happening else they wouldn’t be concerned with the scribing costs.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeowia.7214

Aeowia.7214

So much effort and timed wasted and so many players lost.

This. Resources allocated to WvW were always low.
Doesn’t matter anymore for many, time ran out… but they are still way too slow to react… lessons learned?

[FV] Fearless Vanguard, The Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Kitiara.2706

Kitiara.2706

I will be the first to say… This makes me sad. I really like the desert borderlands.

Also, I like what shadowscreed says … Will the waypoints go back to what they used to be? Please?

in WvW

Posted by: vilenugget.5830

vilenugget.5830

why dont Anet just tell us what they are going to add and see if we agree or not? apparently its hard to get simple feedback.

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

This comes off as pretty short-sighted.

The players that want this are largely going to be turned off by any changes that don’t shift WvW towards a simplistic GvG scene. Either Anet is going to support that (thus killing WvW as RvR) or they’re going to hamstring themselves courting players who will abandon them anyway.

in WvW

Posted by: Bandini.6185

Bandini.6185

" It actually takes quite a bit of time to dust off old content and bring it up to the current game state

I hope they read the “poll” carefully, and noticed a lot of people were not happy with the new mechanisms that came with HoT.

If they bring back the old BL, it should be with the old WvW stuff or it won’t work.

in WvW

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

I got sick of these borderlands two years ago. This SUCKS

I also predict there will never be any attempt to develop new WvWvW maps due to the potential crying. Hope you all are happy with the decision bc those cookie cutter copied maps are here to stay

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

This comes off as pretty short-sighted.

The players that want this are largely going to be turned off by any changes that don’t shift WvW towards a simplistic GvG scene. Either Anet is going to support that (thus killing WvW as RvR) or they’re going to hamstring themselves courting players who will abandon them anyway.

This. Concur. But it does make investing more in CU easier to do.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in WvW

Posted by: Sungtaro.6493

Sungtaro.6493

This game has always been RvR lite. The move back to Alpine BL simply reinforces this.

Those players who are wanting a more in depth RvR experience should look elsewhere. I know I will.

Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

It used to be that guilds were proud to go to the Alpine borderlands, those that still play flock to EBG. I’m worried that there won’t be enough players to make the Alpine maps worth switching to.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

They should have reverted at least 4 months ago. And we’re looking at at least 2 months before this even happens, if it happens: they’re still trying to salvage the failed BL. It might be too late to make any difference right now, much less in 2 months.

And that’s not even considering what awful mechanics they insert into the Alpine BL before bringing it back.

in WvW

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

Omg is there any point where you guys will stop moaning. We got what we wanted what we asked since expansion, well even in beta, it is a happy day. Quit the moaning and let us have this moment, let us players that are in wvw every day and still enjoy it have our moment.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

I’m struggling to understand all the work effort involved with bringing back the old map. Please don’t tell me that you are trying to integrate the HoT junk into it. Just bring back the old map as-is and leave the garbage of HoT out of it.

in WvW

Posted by: erKo.9586

erKo.9586

Glad to hear this!

[WvW] Thanks Anet for listening to your players during 2016.
Far Shiverpeaks – EU – Since release.

in WvW

Posted by: NotKalkz.1286

NotKalkz.1286

I can’t believe this is becoming real, thank you anet cuties

Kalkz

in WvW

Posted by: Regionalitch.6890

Regionalitch.6890

I hope this happens and I hope the map comes back without any added gimmicks

in WvW

Posted by: DocHoliday.9218

DocHoliday.9218

I hope this happens and I hope the map comes back without any added gimmicks

I agree. No auto upgrade. No emergency waypoint. No emergency supply drop. No friggin annoying Tactivators. I hope they stick to the core WvW game and leave out this heart of thorns content that failed quite miserably.
+1 for the maps! +/- on how they react to the community asking for no gimmicks.

in WvW

Posted by: The Ventari Ele.5812

The Ventari Ele.5812

Woo another “when it’s ready” response!
They might as well just say Soon™ again.

We’ll release SAB, everybody loves SAB they wont notice the lack of other updates!

in WvW

Posted by: sydney.4901

sydney.4901

I look forward to playing on the Alpine Bl’s once again. The deserted border lands were just that, deserted. This will bring more players back into WvW, however the population Imbalance will become more visible once implemented. Also I’d like to add that WvW DOES NOT NEED ANY OF THE HOT GIMMICKS, with the return of AP BL’s.

in WvW

Posted by: The Ventari Ele.5812

The Ventari Ele.5812

I doubt this will bring that many people back. People have given up on Anet, and Anet have continuously failed to deliver. Do you really think people will come back to have Anet fail to deliver again?

We’ll release SAB, everybody loves SAB they wont notice the lack of other updates!

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

this is AWESOME !!!

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

WHO CARES
unless the population and scoring change THERES NO POINT
and oh ya stab
kinda important
#dedgaem

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: migellito.7301

migellito.7301

Alpine.. played it and played it and played it. Bored now. Back to something I got bored with is supposed to be good news? wtf.

Anyanka Sturm
Kaineng :: Owl Legion [Owls]

in WvW

Posted by: WizardBro.4510

WizardBro.4510

They need to take the new ones out for good. Apline for life.

in WvW

Posted by: makku.2508

makku.2508

Bit of a bummer for me, as someone who’s doing a lot more solo/small-scale roaming than zerging I think the new map actually had way more potential than Alpine. Desert maybe has a little too much vertical shenanigans and those big kitten keeps take away way too much map space that could have been used in more interesting ways than just creating additional distance between outer walls and keep lord.
Desert with Alpine keep sizes and therefor more open ground to fight big battles on and some toning down of the choke-pointy pathing would make an excellent map imo, but then again that would take way too much effort to change, so anything that brings players back to WvW before it’s completely forgotten about probably is a step forward.

Regardless, since Mike O Brien has taken over it feels like there’s someone in charge who’s willing to base future development on player feedback and actually establish some meaningful dev <=> player communication for the first time ever since release, which is a huge improvement just on its own already. I’m just hoping it didn’t happen too late.

There is only one god, and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to Death: ‘Not today’.

in WvW

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Alpine borderlands will be back.

The players won’t.

Calling it now.

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Ben K: You’re probably right that bringing back Alpine won’t get a mass influx of WvW players back, because it’s not the core problem. But it is the second step in the right direction, after reset time revert.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Dangus.6572

Dangus.6572

yes yes yes yes

[Underworld][ZERK]

in WvW

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

I really hope Alpine borderland will be back with the lake. I have so many fond memories of the lake and I even dreamed about an underwater keep/tower there.

I will be severely disappointed if Arenanet will bring back revamped Alpine borderland, which is full of pve gimmicks like shrines, jumping pads, auto cannons etc. borrowed from the Desert BL. Just do minimal changes to the Alpine border and bring it back as soon as possible.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: Menaki.6329

Menaki.6329

The lonely dev, who was given the responsibility for the alpine border map, will be in my prayers from now on. I hope he or she won’t do anything stupid. :P

I will play in wvw again, even when the new, old bl is like ebg now. Nowadays when I’ve logged in, I saw the long queue in ebg (60+) during prime, I either decide to play in pve or start another game.

[KILL] – Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Alpine.. played it and played it and played it. Bored now. Back to something I got bored with is supposed to be good news? wtf.

Alpine is boring in the exact same way de_dust is boring. No one plays that boring kitten anymore.