Commander Tag Changes Feedback [merged]

in WvW

Posted by: localghost.9145

localghost.9145

Such a disappointing implementation of a simple change. Instead of finally improving WvW in a meaningful way by fixing quality of life changes in an area of the game that has been ignored for far to long they do this. So in order to use this color-system the way it was actually desired from the player base every commander will have to spend 900 gold (or at least 700g if they already had a tag prior to patch).

What is the reasoning behind this? It completely voids the purpose of the wanted feature. It is implementing it behind a paywall and adding complexity to what was supposed to be a feature that would just help people organize easier.

I complain alot about how WvW i being completely neglected, after seeing this change I’m not even sure I want to see other features implemented.

Blippis Trynhatt
Gunnar’s Hold

in WvW

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

They weren’t even polite enough to use lube this time. Total, epic fail.

The last sliver of hope I had is gone. It’s obvious now they’re going to charge for every minor QoL improvement made to the game that should have been there since launch. What’s more is, they’ll implement the changes in a way that runs entirely counter to the necessity for the improvement.

Case in point: Colored commander tags have been requested to aid commanders in better coordinating their efforts in WvW; different colored tags would be used to differentiate the various tactical groups on the map.

Due to the inequity of the WvW rewards system coupled with many commanders selflessly using what little gold they have to buy siege, upgrades, and food buffs, commanders tend to be one of the poorest populations in the game. With commander tags going up in price to 300g per color, many commanders will not be able to afford the new tags.

Thus the very group for whom this change was intended to benefit is now locked out from obtaining it. Additionally, the potential improvement this would have brought to WvW game play by allowing commanders to divide up into color-coded groups is now lost. Absolutely brilliant, Anet! GG

They are so fricking clueless about WvW it makes me want to tear my eyes out. I feel like I’m in an episode of McHale’s Navy:

Commander: Ensign!

Ensign: Yes, Skipper?

Commander: Have the men swab the deck. I’ll be back later to check on your progress.

Ensign: Aye, aye, sir!

* 2 hours later *

Commander: Ensign!

Ensign: Yes, Skipper?

Commander: I thought I ordered you to swap the deck. So far all I see is one small patch. What have you been doing the past 2 hours?!?

Ensign: (gulp) Well, you see, sir…we started swabbing the deck like you ordered. But…umm…we ran out of Q-tips and…hmmm…errr…this is far as we got, sir.

WHAA-WHaa-Whaa-whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I’m done; another loyal customer they just flushed down the toilet. Kitten Anet and NCSoft. Just waiting it out until a better RvRvR comes along.

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

in WvW

Posted by: Virtute.8251

Virtute.8251

I’m done; another loyal customer they just flushed down the toilet. Kitten Anet and NCSoft. Just waiting it out until a better RvRvR comes along.

I’ll be asking for a refund on my three soul bound commander pins, and removal of the account bound version.

Legendary PvF Keep Lord Anvu Pansu Senpai
RvR isn’t “endgame”, it’s the only game. Cu in CU.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

It feels like anet wants ppl flaming after all they do who is making the decisions???

Maybe they just want a reason to finally close the WvW forums? That way no one will bother complaining anymore.

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

It’s not the icon, but the person whom wears it, which matters. The icon doesn’t need strobing lights and speculars.

Person doesnt matter either.

What matter is that its a tool, not a cosmetic enhancement. Anet doesnt charge anything for PvE tools and has implemented complex new ones at no charge to PvE players.

And then they do this.

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar.4257

Ragnar.4257

Inb4 this was a calculated ‘leak’ so they can then ‘generously’ change the decision to show how ‘in touch’ they are with WvW players.

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

in WvW

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

A week ago people said it was too cheap…

Ranger | Elementalist

in WvW

Posted by: Trick.9370

Trick.9370

They should give a discount on buying siege when you got the commander tag or something. Commanders already spending lots of gold and now + 40 euro’s for a new color?

I dont know…. WvW is beginning to look like an attraction park where half the rides are broken but you can buy a hamburger for 10 times the normal price. But that is just my opinion.

Xcefior – dd ele
All alone in space and time.
There’s nothing here but whats here is mine.

in WvW

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Tags should’ve been account bound from day one. Nobody’s character is a commander, the player is the commander. As a result the only change to tags that should be in the patch is that they are account bound and can swap colours at will with a single purchase at the current price.

Anything less than this is a slap in the face to everyone that wants the best for wvw as a pvp game mode.

in WvW

Posted by: Paavotar.3971

Paavotar.3971

I suppose the next thing they come up is a fee everytime you turn the commander tag on. Let’s say 10 gold, because ANet seem to like round numbers.

(Note for ANet: This is sarcastic post and you should not take advice from this. Like seriously, don’t even think about the potential.)

A Pink scumbag of [FACE] and deep inside a [GuM]ster
Mouggari – Warrior – Candy cane Avenger

in WvW

Posted by: TinkTinkPOOF.9201

TinkTinkPOOF.9201

Charging for a QoL change for the game mode that yields the least income…..I’m done, going to uninstall the game and find something else if it is released like this.

In a subscription model, this would have me cancel and uninstall.

In a buy-to-play model, I’ll just keep playing the parts I do like, but will refuse to pay any more.

Every idiot move like this one raises the bar higher for the when I’ll feel inspired to buy from NCSoft again. They’ve already guaranteed I won’t buy Wildstar, and it’s been a year since I paid anything into GW2.

If this was not the last hope I had been holding onto, I might agree with playing still. But I have been looking at other things, I got this game because of promises of epic PvP world battles, and the lack of any effort into this game mode has me just not caring anymore. I was at the point I would be happy with bug fixes and QoL changes after 2 years, I was willing to put aside real updates and new content just for that…And then they are going to charge us for it, I believe this proves to anyone who had any doubt, how disconnected they are from WvW.

6700k@5GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB 850 SSD | GTX980Ti | 27" 144Hz Gsync

in WvW

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

was ncsoft in charge of gw1 also?

in WvW

PetricaKerempuh.7958

i would give 300g for ability to color my tag to any dye i have unlocked. as it is, it is too expensive. blue it is…

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

This is probably one of the worst, most out of touch decisions I’ve seen Anet make. And that is saying something. It completely defeats the purpose of being able to swap colors and split up. Nobody is going to spend over 1k gold on colored tags, when siege, lemongrass, and upgrades cost so much and WvW rewards minimal gold. Pathetic.

Some game-killing decisions are never heeded until it’s too late.

Let’s hope this company wakes up soon.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

You got it all wrong. 300 golds per color is unreasonable. You need ability to change between different colors for colors to be useful, paying 300g per color defeat that.

Also, color is not the only feature we wanted. Tag only visible to guild/squad were a BIG one.

If you want to make people pay for more tags feature it’s fine but do it right. Here is an example of how I see tags should cost :

Tag Level 1 : Private Commander Tag

Only visible to squad and guild members
Color : Gold (Yellow)
Price : 100g

Tag Level 2 : Public Commander Tag

The commander tag that we all know currently, visible to everyone on the map.
Color : Blue
Price : 200g
Requirement : Have the private commander tag

Tag Level 3 : Colored Commander Tag

Like the public commander tag but you can switch between 5 different colors
Color: Blue, Red, Pink, Green, Orange
Price : 200g
Requirement : have the public commander tag

All tag’s levels are account bound.

As long as they are account bound, I see no problem with a tiered system.

It facilitates those who don’t care if the pugs ever see them and also keeps guilds tight and unseeable without having to have everyone else in a “squad” they have no control over.

I don’t support the price, just the structure.

Pricing should be 100g for each level – then even casual players who are as hardcore as any of us, will settle where they need to be in buying a tag or three.

As far as coloring? Gold comes across on many screens/monitors as a muddled mess – try a better or glowing icon that actually can be seen from a distance rather than one that is plain-jane and without much thought except to have the distinction of being called a “big blue dorito”.

WvW deserves better all the way around.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

(edited by atheria.2837)

in WvW

Posted by: Urrid.4593

Urrid.4593

The pricing is perfect. Because a feature that should have been in the game at day 1 of retail should cost 1200 gold to use. Kittens. Kittens everywhere.

Coral -Mesmer- Omnomnivore and TC’er.

in WvW

PetricaKerempuh.7958

im starting to think they dont like wvw community. but really. since anet dev interrupting gvg, all they were trying to do is get rid of us. im starting to think they want wvw community out and start eotm k-train on our bl’s. this way they also fix all those map completion qq’s.

kitten, this is not only we dont care, this is gtfo!

in WvW

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

If this change comes to effect, it will completely collapse the whole point of the CDI initiative.

Yes, the community wanted coloured commander tags, heck I even wanted different icons (ribbons) to reflect your WvW rank so you could further differentiate 2 blue doritos.. oh hey, this commander is an invader, whilst this other dude is a Silver General – I think I’ll join the general’s squad…

But seriously, slamming a gold sink on acquisition of this…. seriously, Anet?

Seriously?

Had to time to reconsider? Still…. seriously???

No.

You just took the 14-page WvW: Commander System CDI and slapped us in the face…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in WvW

Posted by: SafiMoyo.5130

SafiMoyo.5130

I want to repeat what Virtute.8251 said, because it’s so true:

The majority of players willing to purchase the alternate colors will be players we don’t want to obey as commanders.

The majority of players willing to purchase the alternate colors will be players we don’t want to obey as commanders.

Commander tool should not be treated as a vanity object.

Champion Hunter

in WvW

PetricaKerempuh.7958

at least we will easily distinguish pve hero commanders:P

in WvW

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

300g is not a lot, especially for a Commander who is supported by their guild or even server.

in WvW

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

If your commander wants to be distinguished by a special color, their tag can be supported by their guild. In the early days of WvW, the would-be Commanders were funded by small donations from their communities.

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I wonder if they will ever be able to do anything at all that will not lead to people complaining like mad.
Heck I am almost certain that even if it was added and given for free people would still find something to complain about.

The price is steep, but it is in no way impossible to get.
300g is rather easy to get nowadays, especially when we no longer have repair costs, which basically means that the only thing that drains money in WvW is upgrades (since you can get siege with badges).

The problem is that there need to be gold sinks, and I know that I personally prefer a gold sink like this than something that would be “forced” upon my for simply playing (such as repair costs).

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: DaMikenatr.7041

DaMikenatr.7041

300g is not a lot, especially for a Commander who is supported by their guild or even server.

300g may not be a huge cost for the original entry cost to get the single blue account bound tag. However, the 3-4 additional colors that would be useful for organizing (half of the CDI) would put you at 1200-1500 gold for a tool that doesn’t even give us any extra functionality aside from the actual pin itself and the useless supply check that only reaches 5 pixels off your character.

Tsyborg – human guardian – commander
Vicious Instinct [VI]

in WvW

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

How is this gold sink helpful to us as a community in any shape or form?

All we want is a few different colours to help us organise and create structure on the fly. Why over complicate such a basic piece of functionality?

This is absolutely bizarre.

Gandara

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

I wonder if they will ever be able to do anything at all that will not lead to people complaining like mad.

Easy.

- make it accountbound
—- refund all tags above 1
—- remove the compendium (refund not used ones) and make it a purchase by talking to the NPC instead. When already purchased for your account, he will of course state that. This is to avoid issues with purchasing multiple items that are per account. Not to mention the compendium is so redundant as an item.
- option to change between colors

And thats what they could have done to enable colors and accountbound. No price increase. No refund issues. Of course I’d still complain that we want icon change, name tagging and private switch… but I would be happy with the changes regardless.

Does anyone disagree?

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

in WvW

Posted by: Lea.6194

Lea.6194

I agree with the cos of 300 gold for an account bound tag. But 300 gold for each color ???
That’s crazy.

The cost should have been in Badges of Honor.

For example : 50 gold and 5000 badges and a WvW level required per color .. that should have been fine

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

300g is rather easy to get nowadays, especially when we no longer have repair costs, which basically means that the only thing that drains money in WvW is upgrades (since you can get siege with badges).

Well let’s see here there’s also….

-36/40% condi food if you play a power build and don’t want to be rolled over by condis. There goes at least 30s every hour you play.

The cost of structure upgrades as mentioned if you chip in with those.

The cost of sup siege if you don’t always use regular.

The cost of gearing / re-gearing alts if you have more than one character. Many of the sigils and runes alone have risen to 5-10g+ each since the patch for those. There’s no cheap meta upgrade component used in WvW power builds. Strength (rune), hoelbrak, traveler, melandru, bloodlust, battle, energy, etc. are all expensive.

The cost of ascended gear /crafting. Still technically optional, but you do lose 7-10% of your possible damage output, or whatever the total is. Personally I have only been able to afford to do two crafts since ascended was expanded to weapons and armor, and neither of them armor disciplines. That’s not even on my radar as something I will ever be able to afford.

WvW is on the very low end of gold per hour compared to PvE if you are a zergling that spends nothing, or only do large fights and get a large number of kills daily. If you need to do any or all of the above forget it, you’re spending pretty much everything you make.

in WvW

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

300g may not be a huge cost for the original entry cost to get the single blue account bound tag. However, the 3-4 additional colors that would be useful for organizing (half of the CDI) would put you at 1200-1500 gold for a tool that doesn’t even give us any extra functionality aside from the actual pin itself and the useless supply check that only reaches 5 pixels off your character.

Maybe they’ll fix the supply check issue in two years or so. How much gold per additional pixel of radius do you think is reasonable?

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Easy.

- make it accountbound
—- remove the compendium (refund not used ones) and make it a purchase by talking to the NPC instead. When already purchased for your account, he will of course state that. This is to avoid issues with purchasing multiple items that are per account. Not to mention the compendium is so redundant as an item.

And thats what they could have done to enable colors and accountbound. No price increase. No refund issues. Of course I’d still complain that we want icon change, name tagging and private switch… but I would be happy with the changes regardless.

Does anyone disagree?

So, people should not only get refunds for everything over 1 tag, but they should also get the account-bound tag for a third the price of the new ones?

I can see quite a few people complaining about that to be honest.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

They will change it, already plenty of complaint threads up, and they will only increase until this idea for tags gets reworked. I feel confident this wont go live and will be changed to something more reasonable.

You mean like the new trait system………..

No, I mean like the flame kissed armor issue and the spvp removal of ranks proposal, which both caused major upsets among the community and both issues were addressed and dealt with to the communitys satisfaction (somewhat).

in WvW

Posted by: Bigsexy.8302

Bigsexy.8302

How to kill completely WvW 101 – By Anet devs.

in WvW

PetricaKerempuh.7958

Easy.

- make it accountbound

Does anyone disagree?

So, people should not only get refunds for everything over 1 tag, but they should also get the account-bound tag for a third the price of the new ones?

I can see quite a few people complaining about that to be honest.

when i bought my 1st tag for 100g, i can guarantee you that was a lot of money.

in WvW

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

This is the WRONG place to be putting in a gold sink. If anything, all current tags should be refunded and instead be purchased with enough badges so one at least has set foot in WvW at all and fought/captured things to purchase a tag.

Gating what should have been default coordination functionality behind a gold sink is poor customer service. What’s next, not letting us group unless we pay a fee each time?

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Of course. I bought mine way back as well.
But the fact remains that people would complain if all of a sudden people would get refunds for having more than 1 tag while the price would rise to a triple one.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Armed Silon Il.4597

Armed Silon Il.4597

This update is more likely aimed at Pve for World bosses like Triple headed wurm and Teq…………….the multiple colour thing is mainly for Pve imo, unless your on SFR/Deso where they have multiple commanders on the map hitting different objectives.

They just aim it at WvW so that wvw’ers cant QQ that no updates for them again (instead they QQ about how bad the changes are – which ofc they are bad).

As a person with 8 chars and 8 tags (although I dont command in BL) I will be happy to get 500g back from support when the update hits :P

Sorry Sam for hijacking your thread and making it pve but this is my opinion

Znaaff (Ele)
Jinxta Fleshrender (Necro)

in WvW

PetricaKerempuh.7958

Of course. I bought mine way back as well.
But the fact remains that people would complain if all of a sudden people would get refunds for having more than 1 tag while the price would rise to a triple one.

do you agree with anets proposal?

in WvW

Posted by: chrisgr.3849

chrisgr.3849

well ofc is all about gems…
is a game company why else he make and realese a game..to get profit..that is normal and no1 can blame anet for that

he can blame anet for the way that she choose to get that profit
old players -and that is to bad for anet-the r still on the game and they have learn to play and work together with tags or no tags

for my point of view is like anet trying to take the gold from new players..and how will dom that..ofc by forsing the ppl to buy gems

idk who is the head in anet for the incomings but for sure he dont know how to make profit for the company..the only that they can do is to lisen the players and then they have long term incomings

in WvW

Posted by: Natar.3671

Natar.3671

To put it simply, this comic illustrates what anet is doing to us about commander tags. Replace life with anet

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

Having the original tags being purchasable for 100G was bad enough since all it did was ensure that money, not experience or competency, was the gateway to being a commander.

But the currently proposed changes to commander tags?

This is the WRONG place to be putting in a gold sink. If anything, all current tags should be refunded and instead be purchased with enough badges so one at least has set foot in WvW at all and fought/captured things to purchase a tag. Or even Guild influence. Just about anything other than this proposed tripe. WvW already has a ton of other gold sinks above and beyond PvE and sPvP as it is, on top of lower average gold earnings.

Gating what should have been default WvW coordination functionality since RELEASE behind a frankly obscene gold sink on top of the glacially slow progress of WvW updates is a great way to lower the already low customer loyalty and thus future profits.

(edited by Overkillengine.6084)

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

I am assuming there is a valid reason for it, yes.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

chrisgr.3849

ofc you gona agree…..is your job to agree and defend anet all the time bro…we dont expect anything else from you ether way

in WvW

PetricaKerempuh.7958

i just wanted to ask for your reasons to agree with them. having faith in anet is not a good reason tbh. anything else i dont see?

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.5237

Bubi.5237

No, I mean like the flame kissed armor issue and the spvp removal of ranks proposal, which both caused major upsets among the community and both issues were addressed and dealt with to the communitys satisfaction (somewhat).

So you’re saying that Anet did something for PvE (flame kissed armor) and #ESPORT (spvp rank), and you think they’ll do the same for WvW.
Nope, they’ll not.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

i just wanted to ask for your reasons to agree with them. having faith in anet is not a good reason tbh. anything else i dont see?

I am assuming that they (having the numbers and such) have figured out that removing the gold sink from buying multiple tags would hit the economy too much, despite the increasing the price. And as such they added an alternative gold sink to try and keep it more balanced. Simple as that.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Murth.5637

Murth.5637

Commander tags are also used outside of WvW.

in WvW

chrisgr.3849

lordkrall 1 question to you

a player have start the game..lets say 1 month ago..or is back on the game after 1y+ and the only that play is wvwvw
he dont have only 1 toon..he have war/guard and random
so my question is

how the hell he will gear up his toons if is new player or change gear if he is old cose of builds and also find 300g to for the tags
last time i check wvwvw drains your gold..no realy increase (unles you doing eotm karma train ..then who cares..but we dont talk about that)

l

in WvW

Posted by: Avalon.6418

Avalon.6418

I do not understand how it was justified, when such a thing was introduced, that purchasing a different color for a Commander Icon will worth 300 gold. For now I am inclined to believe that this is some sort of mistake or miscommunication between different groups. Such behavior does not beseem a company of the prestige and quality of ArenaNet, it befits more shady companies who care only of profit.

Furthermore please do not confuse profit and non-profit with right and wrong. Slightly enhancing the functionality of such an essential feature and putting outrageous prices on it is at least greedy, if not immoral. And I am pretty sure nobody in your company wants to be accused of immorality, let alone the whole company.

And please do not say the same old thing “You do not like the price, nobody forces you to play the game.”, because it is the same reasoning as having food and saying “Hey I can give you food but you will have to give me your house, though nobody forces you to.” Giving a choice does not make it less immoral on your part.

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

You don’t NEED a commander tag to play WvW. Heck you don’t even need a commander tag to command. Sure it helps, but it is in no way required.

If he is a good leader it would be rather easy for him to get people to sponsor the tag (it is happening quite often already).

Coming back from a long time away from the game or just starting it up is not really a position to command from anyway for that matter. A good commander needs experience and good understanding of the CURRENT WvW, not WvW from 1 year ago.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

A commander tag is a good tool but if it was easy to get anyone could have one. The players that save up their money for one want to get their groups organized. Some wvw guilds do not tag up during PT since it is easier to work with your guild. Than some who are unwilling to listen and follow commands.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF