in WvW

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I would like to point one thing out: current system also heavily favors heavy armor classes and eles/necros because those can stay in zerg and gain ranks faster where medium armor and the rest get kicked from squad/get forced into roaming so overall their rank gains are lower. Which results in actual class discrimination.

This is false. You do not need to be zerging to get rank gain. An efficient roaming pattern will get very solid WXP gains; the only consistently better way to get WXP is karmatraining on an empty map. If you’re karmatraining anyway, commander don’t care what class you bring. A good roamer can exploit objective tagging to gain WXP from the targets or they can fill a forward scouting role for the commander and the commander will give them scout credit for WXP gains.

If you’re an effective roaming scout, you will get the best WXP rate in the game with the commander feeding you Scout WXP while you also gain your own WXP at a strong rate. I’d have to check, but I think you also get the WXP of the other roaming scouts as well.

you put too much faith in this community
also even karmatrains kick thieves/druids/engis and co.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in WvW

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Forums bug does what forum bug does~

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in WvW

Posted by: Vipex.5380

Vipex.5380

I can understand frustration and that system may feel bit unfair.

But biggest thing on this is that, even those high rank players get their weekly rewards faster. They are also most likely keep playing after that too instead of disappearing into other game modes.

in WvW

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

A persons WVW rank should not be used for pip acquisition. The rewarding of pips should be fair and equally rewarding to all participants.
(…)
This is extremely wrong and the most unfair component in the reward system in all of GW2. If this is the case I should be recieving more pips in pvp based on my rank and more gold and rares in pve based on my AP. Extremely discriminating this is .

I do not think that it is discriminating.

I think it would be different perceived, if this system was in place for WvW from the beginning, because the sudden change is also a reason, that makes it somehow unfair/unbalanced.

in WvW

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

This is another issue where people don’t want to play what’s needed (zergling mainly) even if you run green armour as (gwen/rev) you will still be accepted by commanders in squads . People complain about the meta and or don’t play it and the complain they are a low rank. I mainly roam/defend home bl on either warrior/thief/scrapper and tempest but I also do guild raids 3 times a week. I started wvw not long after they removed the quaggans where the ruins are now placed and I am at rank 3089.

Some people think they should just play 1 part of wvw and expect to have the same ranks as people who play all aspects of the game mode.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in WvW

Posted by: CutesySylveon.8290

CutesySylveon.8290

It’s not discrimination. It is rewarding those who’ve played wvw for years. Why should new players, who might leave wvw altogether when they have their rewards, get the same amount of pips as those loyal to the game mode?

I welcome everyone new to wvw, and hope you find it fun, but you have to earn your ranks and rewards like the rest of us. Wvw has been neglected for ages, so it is past time for those of us playing this game mode to get something from it.

Please remember, someone else’s rank doesn’t take away from your fun and rewards. Stick with wvw and you’ll get there soon enough yourself!

Your post is the very essence of discrimination. You played WVW those years ago for what is was back then and you gained numerous hours of game-play and enjoyment. Giving you EXTRA rewards literally every 5 minute tick is too much. Rewarding extra for the content you enjoyed in the past is wrong. You have already had a head start on the achievement points and so giving you permanent boost in your pips is simply outlandish. .

Your logic is seriously flawed. Let me help: you didn’t invest in the wvw game mode and now you want instant gratification. Since you cant get that, no one should have it.

I’m going to pop into PVE now, I get insta raid armor, right? Insta map completion? Oh, I don’t? Well darn, guess I will have to put in some effort! The horror! Call the ACLU!

Edit: you could have had 2 ranks in the time it took you to complain here. If you’re on EBay msg me and we can get you ranks.

Your logic is just as flawed.

People are talking about the process of getting the end rewards, not the rewards themselves. There’s no way a PvE player can get raid armor faster than anyone else if they all put in the same effort. An example would be getting an extra Legendary Insight for each boss kill, or 2 or 3 etc.

Getting more pips, and therefore a process of getting rewards faster when the same amount of effort is put into it, is where WvW is at now. All this does is create a hefty entry barrier for new players for WvW and stagnating it again. Just because the rewards may not have been as good doesn’t change the fact that a hardcore PvE player has to follow the exact same process at the exact same rate as everyone else, no matter how much they play PvE and someone else doesn’t.

I’m all for tipping hats to the WvW veterans, but this isn’t the way to do it.

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

Someone who had been raiding for over a year don’t earn better reward raiding than a completely new raider as long as the new raider is as effective as the veteran raider.
A new spvp player earn the same rewards as a veteran in the same timeframe if the new player is as effective as the veteran.
A new wvw player earn significantly less reward than a veteran in the same timeframe, no matter how effective he is.

Legendary Insights.
Shards of Glory/PvP Tickets

This is all about “Who can get to the legendary item the fastest.” Don’t even try to deny that. It has nothing to do with your version of “fair.”

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Mithril rank here. The pip rank bonus system is absolutely unfair to new players and I am a bit disappointed to see so many fellow WvW players trying to put PvE players down. We’ve been complaining about WvW losing numbers and wondering about how to keep the game mode alive but now everyone is more worried about getting their extra pip than about keeping that fresh blood in WvW. There hasn’t been this much activity since the last tournaments, don’t you guys want to keep this going?

Our goal should be to keep WvW alive, get new players to join and stay, incentivise winning & fights along with server loyalty. You could have this and still reward veterans by having a higher base pip (say 3) and/or more pips for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place (say 5-4-3).

If a new guy in my guild gets 1 pip while I get 6 that’s a crazy difference. With a higher base he would get 6 and I would get 12. I still get twice as many but he can actually progress and if he commits close to 3hours a day he can still get Diamond, it’s a ton of time but it’s doable. Currently he would need like 17 hours which is complete nonsense.

Hell if base pip was higher, I wouldn’t even be mad if the rank bonus pip I get was lowered or even removed entirely. I still get access to exclusive skins by merit of being higher rank alone so it’s not like I get NOTHING.

Glad to see that someone else sees the danger the pip system as it currently stands poses. The figure you quoted of 17 hours is actually exceedingly generous. At an average pip rate of 5 or 6, it would take you 21-24 hours of constant WvW to complete the Diamond tier. If you somehow were only pulling 1 pip, it would take you an astonishing 120 hours per week.

I still think that the best solution is to give out pips based on your participation tier, buffing the amount from loyalty slightly, reducing the amount from Outnumbered, so that the average pips earned per tick is around 9 or 10. That would take you about 12 – 13 hours of WvW each week, or about 1.5 – 2 hours per day. (Which is, not coincidentally, the same amount of time it would take you to do one complete map meta cycle in HoT.) I believe that this is a much fairer starting point.

Now, because veterans with their higher rank bonus will now complete Diamond much faster, we can also look at allowing tickets + Memories to be awarded from Diamond repeats. This allows veterans to be accorded benefits for having spent more time in WvW over the past years, allows them to gain access to the exclusive skins faster (for earlier bragging rights), yet it also doesn’t put the same rewards so far out of reach for newbies to WvW.

I really hope ANet is aware of this and is working on adjustments. I’m already seeing interest start to wane; maps are still queued at daily reset, but nowhere near as large as they used to be, and about 3-4 hours past reset all maps save EBG (which only tends to have a queue in the single digits) no longer have queues. This is a terrible sign because it means that players are once again starting to leave WvW. And it’s only been one week since the release!

in WvW

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

This is a terrible sign because it means that players are once again starting to leave WvW. And it’s only been one week since the release!

It’s possibly a sign they weren’t interested in wvw in the first place.

in WvW

Posted by: davidiven.9408

davidiven.9408

if people leave wvw because it takes them so long to get the skins that will change nothing, then it’s great lol, sure this mode needs more players but I only care about the players that like wvw, willing to change gears and play to win the fights.

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Quite possibly. But remember that the main reason why this update was brought in was an attempt to entice more people into what was otherwise a dying game mode. (You will never hear the devs say this, but the fancy new rewards they brought in were NOT made for the veterans. If they were willing to keep playing the same mode this long, they’d be willing to keep playing it for another 3 years with no changes. No, just like with PvP, the new shinies were made to try to attract new people in.)

If we’re not succeeding at keeping these new players, then very soon we’ll be back to the same old problems of overstacked servers and dead hours when you can’t even muster enough people to defend your garrisons. (Or worse, there’s people around, but nobody answers your call for help because they’re all busy afk farming their Outnumbered pips somewhere in a quiet corner of the map.)

And eventually, even ANet may decide that WvW is no longer viable because they can’t justify spending the time and manpower on a game mode that such a tiny proportion of the player base frequents, and decides to just put it on life support. Don’t think it can’t happen. It happened to SAB, and it may be happening to raids in the future.

(edited by Zaxares.5419)

in WvW

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

I find it amazing that the OP feels that since he/she didn’t invest the same amount of time in WvW that those who have shouldn’t be rewarded for their dedication. And now that there is some new shiny in WvW he/she and many other players who shunned WvW are now mad that they have to work their way up the ladder to achieve a higher reward. Please, even though I’m not a 100% WvW all the time player, I can see why ANET gave some thought into rewarding those of us who have actually done our time in WvW with little to no reward except bragging rights.

Does the OP realize that in the past some of the bonuses they were receiving to Magic Find, Vitality, Gathering, etc.. came from the WvW players on their server? Anyway, leave it the way it is, ANeT. Just like how you ignored everyone’s call to make legendary armor available outside of raids, ignore calls to nerf rewards given to WvW players who have suffered under an ignored aspect of the game for so long.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

in WvW

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Quite possibly. But remember that the main reason why this update was brought in was an attempt to entice more people into what was otherwise a dying game mode. (You will never hear the devs say this, but the fancy new rewards they brought in were NOT made for the veterans. If they were willing to keep playing the same mode this long, they’d be willing to keep playing it for another 3 years with no changes. No, just like with PvP, the new shinies were made to try to attract new people in.)

If we’re not succeeding at keeping these new players, then very soon we’ll be back to the same old problems of overstacked servers and dead hours when you can’t even muster enough people to defend your garrisons. (Or worse, there’s people around, but nobody answers your call for help because they’re all busy afk farming their Outnumbered pips somewhere in a quiet corner of the map.)

The reward is to tease more new players to wvw, let them try and get in love with wvw. If this game mode alone after they have tried still can’t make them stay then doesn’t matter they how much time they needed to obtain the wvw shines, they are not gonna stay.

If they get in love with wvw, just play the mode and eventually they will get the reward. If they don’t like wvw there is nothing can make them stay. The worst scenario is the reward is too easy to obtain those players just play a little, take the shines and go, really devalue these rewards.

I rather the pver realised they either start to love wvw or leave in peace.

(edited by Crossaber.8934)

in WvW

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

And eventually, even ANet may decide that WvW is no longer viable because they can’t justify spending the time and manpower on a game mode that such a tiny proportion of the player base frequents, and decides to just put it on life support. Don’t think it can’t happen. It happened to SAB, and it may be happening to raids in the future.

The potential rewards may be about getting new players to try wvw but the gamepmay has to be what keeps them. Otherwise there is no reason for them to not afk farm, as some have said they do for the GoB, their pips. You dont want people who dont want to be there to stay IMO.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Our goal should be to keep WvW alive, get new players to join and stay, incentivise winning & fights along with server loyalty. You could have this and still reward veterans by having a higher base pip (say 3) and/or more pips for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place (say 5-4-3).

If a new guy in my guild gets 1 pip while I get 6 that’s a crazy difference. With a higher base he would get 6 and I would get 12. I still get twice as many but he can actually progress and if he commits close to 3hours a day he can still get Diamond, it’s a ton of time but it’s doable. Currently he would need like 17 hours which is complete nonsense.

The issue brought up by the OP isn’t that base pips are low. The issue in this thread is that players of a higher rank get bonus pips and he says this is unfair.

Any game system trying to incentivize players staying with the game need a progression system. The WXP ranking system was always intended to be that progression.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

(edited by Chaba.5410)

in WvW

Ashen.2907

The issue brought up by the OP isn’t that base pips are low. The issue in this thread is that players of a higher rank get bonus pips and he says this is unfair.

Any game system trying to incentivize players staying with the game need a progression system. The WXP ranking system was always intended to be that progression.

In the OP he asked for an increase to newer player pip awards as well as a reduction to awards to high ranked veterans so the issue is in part, according to the OP, a desire on his part for increased pip gain at lower levels, not just about bonuses for higher levels.

in WvW

Posted by: Eater of Peeps.9062

Eater of Peeps.9062

Here’s what I don’t get.

Anet provides new pips/rewards in an effort to get new players into wvw as the population was dwindling and becoming less robust and more grindy. It works! Yay, so many new ppl to the game mode that wvw is truly active, fun again, and nice long queues of ppl waiting to get in and help out. Yay! FUN!

And then the inevitable (in this game at least) occurs. The wvw veterans/elitists start complaining:

The ques too long!

Pvers in WvW – go home newbies!

No one gets rewards but us – not just us first, but it will take a newbie 2 yrs or more (if lucky enuf to be in a squad and they r moving/farming for at least 3 hrs a day) to even get what we will get, and they will give up and leave, and we will have our precious armor, but no one to play with or show it off to.

And no new rangers, engis, etc. Not allowed in squad. Must be in TS and not hearing impaired. Must adhere to paramilitary talk, unretractable rules, clickish elitism and inane TS speak. Must get serious. NO casual play. IF so, better bring ur solo build (why not just play in pve then?).

Less or No pips for u if ur a roamer, soloer, havoc grp, scout, or not accepted into a squad for any number of unreasonable and occasionally discriminatory reasons.

So now, what do we have? Casual pver’s who came into WvW expecting to have fun and get some rewards in a reasonable amount of time. What did they get? Grief and restrictive or non-existent play and chiding abuse for being new or something less than the veterans (of which I am one).

So what’s the end result? Pver’s left. O good. Back to same old dreary grind with same old ppl who do the same old thing in the same old paramilitary way to the same old effect. No ques in less than a week. No super fun active zerg play.

GJ everyone!

(edited by Eater of Peeps.9062)

in WvW

Chaba.5410

There’s no way a PvE player can get raid armor faster than anyone else if they all put in the same effort. An example would be getting an extra Legendary Insight for each boss kill, or 2 or 3 etc.

Bad example because “same effort” doesn’t exist.

The amount of Legendary Insights you can gain per week is limited 13 (for the first months of raids it was only 3!). Not all PvE players can gain all 13 per week. The reason for this has to do with their availability, access to a team and gear, knowledge, and experience of every single boss of every wing. New players to raids are not going to be gaining all LIs every week.

The amount of WvW claim tickets you can gain per week is limited to 175. Not all WvW players can gain all 175 per week. Again the reasons for this have to do with availability, access to a team and gear, knowledge, and experience.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

in WvW

Chaba.5410

In the OP he asked for an increase to newer player pip awards as well as a reduction to awards to high ranked veterans so the issue is in part, according to the OP, a desire on his part for increased pip gain at lower levels, not just about bonuses for higher levels.

No he didn’t. He asked for the removal of bonus pips based on rank and everyone gains the same amount equally.

"
A persons WVW rank should not be used for pip acquisition.

Please make it an avg amount of pips given to all players all remove this entirely. It is immoral and discriminates against new players. Whoever did this needs to give me an explanation. A very good one of why your choosing to discriminate other players."

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

Ashen.2907

No he didn’t. He asked for the removal of bonus pips based on rank and everyone gains the same amount equally.

"
A persons WVW rank should not be used for pip acquisition.

Please make it an avg amount of pips given to all players all remove this entirely. It is immoral and discriminates against new players. Whoever did this needs to give me an explanation. A very good one of why your choosing to discriminate other players."

An avg (average) amount of pips, as asked for in the OP, between the low rank and the high would mean an increase for low ranks and decrease for high)…as I pointed out.

in WvW

Turk.5460

A question to any of the people who think the pip system is unfair.

Do you think it would be fair, if I (someone who has never entered a raid before) was awarded 5 Legendary Insights per boss kill, so I can catch up to the people who have been raiding for a year?

-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Posted by: Arioch.6507

Arioch.6507

Did raid rewards start when raids started? I only ask, as this would mean that the player receiving said rewards would have started getting them when the content became available. If that is the case. (I am not familiar on how raid rewards work) WvW players did not have this, and I think that Anet recognized the fact that maybe WvW was overdue for some “fair and equitable” reward system. I understand that some new (to wvw) people (and some ‘veterans’) feel as though they are being treated unfairly compared to individuals who have a higher rank. (Regardless how they achieved said rank) but doesn’t it stand to reason that it shouldn’t be an “Average” and players who have played this game mode with out receiving rewards (because they didn’t exist) should be the “first” to receive them?

When 1v4 has become the norm, where is the incentive….

in WvW

CutesySylveon.8290

There’s no way a PvE player can get raid armor faster than anyone else if they all put in the same effort. An example would be getting an extra Legendary Insight for each boss kill, or 2 or 3 etc.

The amount of Legendary Insights you can gain per week is limited 13 (for the first months of raids it was only 3!). Not all PvE players can gain all 13 per week. The reason for this has to do with their availability, access to a team and gear, knowledge, and experience of every single boss of every wing. New players to raids are not going to be gaining all LIs every week.

The amount of WvW claim tickets you can gain per week is limited to 175. Not all WvW players can gain all 175 per week. Again the reasons for this have to do with availability, access to a team and gear, knowledge, and experience.

My point is that new raiders are not restricted by the fact that they are new and veteran raiders are not given any specific advantage because they’ve been doing it longer when speaking of the rates of progress each have to attain the goal.

The initial three LI limit was because there were only 3 bosses to get them from when raids first came out.

Wether or not someone has the access to all available means to get something like LI’s is irrelevant because it’s determined player by player based on thier lives, time etc. The point is that two people under the same circumstances, a new player and an old player, will achieve the raid rewards at the same rate if they both fulfill the same criteria together. In WvW, however, a vet can do the exact same thing as a newbie, but progress much faster to the same rewards simply by being a vet.

I think the people who have stuck to wvw over the years should be rewarded for it, but alienating the newbies and making things more difficult for aspiring wvw players is not the way to go.

in WvW

Turk.5460

My point is that new raiders are not restricted by the fact that they are new and veteran raiders are not given any specific advantage because they’ve been doing it longer when speaking of the rates of progress each have to attain the goal.

The initial three LI limit was because there were only 3 bosses to get them from when raids first came out.

Wether or not someone has the access to all available means to get something like LI’s is irrelevant because it’s determined player by player based on thier lives, time etc. The point is that two people under the same circumstances, a new player and an old player, will achieve the raid rewards at the same rate if they both fulfill the same criteria together. In WvW, however, a vet can do the exact same thing as a newbie, but progress much faster to the same rewards simply by being a vet.

I think the people who have stuck to wvw over the years should be rewarded for it, but alienating the newbies and making things more difficult for aspiring wvw players is not the way to go.

Parallel to your logic, veteran WvW players should have been given a LARGE amount of claim tickets from the start of this new WvW update. For free, obviously, since the same rewards weren’t given throughout the few years prior.

This wouldn’t be much different than how it is now ….would it?

-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

CutesySylveon.8290

Parallel to your logic, veteran WvW players should have been given a LARGE amount of claim tickets from the start of this new WvW update. For free, obviously, since the same rewards weren’t given throughout the few years prior.

A discussion on how to approach vet players and rewards they didn’t have is something I have no opinion on.

I’m simply concerned about the rates of progression, and don’t think that past troubles, ie: middling rewards, should be part of that discussion.

“We had it bad while you got the good stuff! Now you get to feel our pain while we laugh! How’s it feel?”

Not saying this is you, but this is how some people sound.

in WvW

Posted by: Mithos.9023

Mithos.9023

I see a big problem with the new system. While having a bonus for veterans is nice, it is just to punishing for new players. The difference is just to huge. My concern is that this system will discourage many players. This is exactly not what we need now. The patch did something very important for wvw, it flushed new players in it. Maps are finally populated again. This is much more needed for wvw than all the other aspects of the patch. With the new number of players the game mode feels far better than the staleness we had before the patch. Instead of the pip system we would have needed a system that encourages the players that get into wvw now for their first time to have good experience in it and hopefully stay. Otherwise, we will be at the same point we were two weeks ago with lifeless matches and hardly filled maps.

My suggestion to solve this:
If the pip system is to stay we would need something like a Buff that gives players, new to wvw a bonus. Something that advertises wvw and gives them a good start up so that they may actually get the feeling for it and start being part of the communities. I think something like double or triple pips and wvw rank gain for about a month or two. Only for players that have not much wvw experience like being below rank 50. Even a bonus for returning players would help us in this situation, like giving players that were away from guild wars 2 for more than 6 months an additional smal bonus.

With this they could catch up a little and enjoy wvw without the feeling of being left out. And when the bonus ends they may already be within bronze rank and think: “Hey I don’t need many ranks to become silver, time to work my way up”

We need build and gear-templates!!!!!!!!!!

in WvW

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

A persons WVW rank should not be used for pip acquisition. The rewarding of pips should be fair and equally rewarding to all participants.

+1 Bronze WvW Rank (150-619)
+2 Silver WvW Rank (620-1394)
+3 Gold WvW Rank (1395-2544)
+4 Platinum WvW Rank (2545-4094)
+5 Mithril WvW Rank (4095-6444)
+6 Diamond WvW Rank (6445-9999)
+7 Max WvW Rank (10000)

This is extremely wrong and the most unfair component in the reward system in all of GW2. If this is the case I should be recieving more pips in pvp based on my rank and more gold and rares in pve based on my AP. Extremely discriminating this is . Please make it an avg amount of pips given to all players all remove this entirely. It is immoral and discriminates against new players. Whoever did this needs to give me an explanation. A very good one of why your choosing to discriminate other players.

Whats funny is PvE players were crafting full sets of legendary armor the FIRST day it was released b/c the 6 months of Raiding counted towards the time gate of legendary armor. A WvW player couldnt do that so guess what?

Put the time in and stop complaining about not getting instant gratification on a game mode you refused to play for the past 4 years.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

You are still trying to make a hypothetical “same effort” argument that doesn’t exist.

New raiders are absolutely restricted in the fact that they are new. It is determined player by player based on their lives, time, experience, access to team and gear, knowledge of the fights, etc. Exactly what I wrote and no different from being a vet in WvW. There is not two people under the same circumstances if they are different ranks. WXP rank gives an account abilities useful to WvW just as HoT and Raid masteries help with raids. You are not going to find new raiders under the same circumstances, fulfilling the same criteria, as vet raiders and most pug groups are not going to accept new raiders either. A new raider can’t even do a boss like Xera without leyline gliding. Maybe they have vet friends who will let them sit dead after the start and they can 9-man Xera for that person so they can get the LI. Are you seriously going to say that was same effort because it was same boss fight and we should have such a system for WvW claim tickets? What would be the point of getting leyline gliding then if that person gets the LI anyway? Cry discrimination on Xera against people who don’t have leyline gliding despite the fact they can go play and progress towards it just like everyone else before them?

Chaba Tangnu

(edited by Chaba.5410)

in WvW

Turk.5460

A discussion on how to approach vet players and rewards they didn’t have is something I have no opinion on.

Whether or not you have an opinion on this doesn’t make it any less relevant to the general aspect of “fairness” in the current system, or how the system was designed, and who was in mind when it was created and implemented.

To clarify my intended message: It is in my opinion that the current bonuses to the rate of acquisition are directly related to the lack of relevant rewards prior to the update.

-Sorrow’s Furnace-

(edited by Turk.5460)

in WvW

Posted by: Lysander Freeman.4186

Lysander Freeman.4186

I’d like to put my 2 cents in somewhere. Might as well be on this thread.

Pip balance is really screwy imo. I’m getting +2 due to my rank at low silver and it’ll take forever for me to get past silver. It’s a horribly slow progression. While I understand having to “work” for things, there are other aspects of stuff like Warbringer (what I’m going for, if the game servers don’t shut down first) that require a lot of time to assemble. I don’t see how spending far too many hours just logged into the game should be an integral part of the reward system. I’d rather it be based on actions in the game.

That said, I’m starting in on the GOLD chest as of last night. I’m not going to finish it by reset, if I do then I’ll be surprised. I have life and a family.

The biggest complaint I have about the reward system right now is that – because I’m not a slave to GW2 and WvW – I’m going to have to start at the bottom Wood chest again at reset when I haven’t even gotten enough time to get up to the plat, mithril and diamond chests. This means I’ll get to be in this forever-low-level-reward trap which is nonsense.

Yes, some people would say I’m not “dedicated” enough then but it’s not “dedicated” when it’s based on how long someone can sit on their ass logged into a computer game.

Maybe just have the chests rotate when you cycle through them instead?

in WvW

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

It’s not discrimination. It is rewarding those who’ve played wvw for years. Why should new players, who might leave wvw altogether when they have their rewards, get the same amount of pips as those loyal to the game mode?

I welcome everyone new to wvw, and hope you find it fun, but you have to earn your ranks and rewards like the rest of us. Wvw has been neglected for ages, so it is past time for those of us playing this game mode to get something from it.

Please remember, someone else’s rank doesn’t take away from your fun and rewards. Stick with wvw and you’ll get there soon enough yourself!

It is discrimination. It is a fact.

However, it doesn’t bother me that much since it is also a reward for the veteran in a context where the rewards are merely exotic and ascended skins as opposed to an exclusive tier of equipment.

(edited by Sirbeaumerdier.3740)

in WvW

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

Here’s what I don’t get.

Anet provides new pips/rewards in an effort to get new players into wvw as the population was dwindling and becoming less robust and more grindy. It works! Yay, so many new ppl to the game mode that wvw is truly active, fun again, and nice long queues of ppl waiting to get in and help out. Yay! FUN!

And then the inevitable (in this game at least) occurs. The wvw veterans/elitists start complaining:

The ques too long!

Pvers in WvW – go home newbies!

No one gets rewards but us – not just us first, but it will take a newbie 2 yrs or more (if lucky enuf to be in a squad and they r moving/farming for at least 3 hrs a day) to even get what we will get, and they will give up and leave, and we will have our precious armor, but no one to play with or show it off to.

And no new rangers, engis, etc. Not allowed in squad. Must be in TS and not hearing impaired. Must adhere to paramilitary talk, unretractable rules, clickish elitism and inane TS speak. Must get serious. NO casual play. IF so, better bring ur solo build (why not just play in pve then?).

Less or No pips for u if ur a roamer, soloer, havoc grp, scout, or not accepted into a squad for any number of unreasonable and occasionally discriminatory reasons.

So now, what do we have? Casual pver’s who came into WvW expecting to have fun and get some rewards in a reasonable amount of time. What did they get? Grief and restrictive or non-existent play and chiding abuse for being new or something less than the veterans (of which I am one).

So what’s the end result? Pver’s left. O good. Back to same old dreary grind with same old ppl who do the same old thing in the same old paramilitary way to the same old effect. No ques in less than a week. No super fun active zerg play.

GJ everyone!

I think casual play is fine, but have you seen what happens when there is no organisation? Things fall apart, and those that are zerglings don’t leave keep or casual players don’t play at all when their server is losing. Then comes the snowball effect. Wvw is funny in the way that you have to learn through death but for many this is a hurdle they don’t like taking. I seen people hate the idea of dying so much they alt-f4 to avoid being stomped. I am saddened that some comms don’t open up a little more when pugmanding but I think for the most part if there is a sense of community going on most of the population just rolls together regardless of whether they are in squad or not. I’ve been enjoying wvw lately teaching people that are new to the mode and motivating them, I hope they stay.

in WvW

Posted by: Jaysian.8135

Jaysian.8135

You are still trying to make a hypothetical “same effort” argument that doesn’t exist.

New raiders are absolutely restricted in the fact that they are new. It is determined player by player based on their lives, time, experience, access to team and gear, knowledge of the fights, etc. Exactly what I wrote and no different from being a vet in WvW. There is not two people under the same circumstances if they are different ranks. WXP rank gives an account abilities useful to WvW just as HoT and Raid masteries help with raids. You are not going to find new raiders under the same circumstances, fulfilling the same criteria, as vet raiders and most pug groups are not going to accept new raiders either. A new raider can’t even do a boss like Xera without leyline gliding. Maybe they have vet friends who will let them sit dead after the start and they can 9-man Xera for that person so they can get the LI. Are you seriously going to say that was same effort because it was same boss fight and we should have such a system for WvW claim tickets? What would be the point of getting leyline gliding then if that person gets the LI anyway? Cry discrimination on Xera against people who don’t have leyline gliding despite the fact they can go play and progress towards it just like everyone else before them?

I dont get it, why is it so hard for you to see the differences?

PvP Newbies and Vets: Earn pips depend on your ability to win games, not your pvp level.
Raid Newbies and Vets: Earn shards and LI on your ability to kill bosses.
And we have WvW Newbies and Vets: Earn pips mostly depend on ranks. Not on your ability to perform in wvw.

You see in raid and pvp people progress at different speed because how their ability to complete things. Some raid squad full clear in 2 hours, some who don’t have the skill or the right tactic may full clear at much slower rate or dont clear at all. The raid reward depend on player’s ability. Wvw however depend on your rank! So unless somehow you are able to proven that diamond rank player have the ability to contribute more than sliver or bronze, there shouldn’t be a reward gap. Because anything that a diamond player can do in wvw, bronze and sliver or even lower rank are able to also.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

Pip balance is really screwy imo. I’m getting +2 due to my rank at low silver and it’ll take forever for me to get past silver. It’s a horribly slow progression. While I understand having to “work” for things, there are other aspects of stuff like Warbringer (what I’m going for, if the game servers don’t shut down first) that require a lot of time to assemble. I don’t see how spending far too many hours just logged into the game should be an integral part of the reward system. I’d rather it be based on actions in the game.

That said, I’m starting in on the GOLD chest as of last night. I’m not going to finish it by reset, if I do then I’ll be surprised. I have life and a family.

The biggest complaint I have about the reward system right now is that – because I’m not a slave to GW2 and WvW – I’m going to have to start at the bottom Wood chest again at reset when I haven’t even gotten enough time to get up to the plat, mithril and diamond chests. This means I’ll get to be in this forever-low-level-reward trap which is nonsense.

Yes, some people would say I’m not “dedicated” enough then but it’s not “dedicated” when it’s based on how long someone can sit on their ass logged into a computer game.

Too slow progression is an issue with the base pips, not the bonus pips, let’s put it out there right now.

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

Jaysian.8135

I rather all those extra pips given to high rank player goes to good “commanders”, because they actually contribute more and do more.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

And we have WvW Newbies and Vets: Earn pips mostly depend on ranks. Not on your ability to perform in wvw.

This is incorrect. Vets will perform WvW better due to WXP masteries. Stop ignoring that.

PvP Newbies and Vets: Earn pips depend on your ability to win games, not your pvp level.

Base pips are also based on ability to be first, 2nd, or third every five minutes.

WXP Rank can be speed up through the use of boosters. That doesn’t happen in sPvP through boosters, but through special events at the whim of Anet.

Chaba Tangnu

(edited by Chaba.5410)

in WvW

Ashen.2907

I would like to see the outnumbered bonus to pip earning reduced to 2 and a bonus +1 added for each rank of participation above 3. So someone actively getting involved can earn more pips than someone semi afk on an outnumbered map.

in WvW

Jaysian.8135

This is incorrect. Vets will perform WvW better due to WXP masteries. Stop ignoring that.

Base pips are also based on ability to be first, 2nd, or third every five minutes.

Then the extra pips given to high rank should stop at rank 1000, since you max out WXP masteries at rank 1000. Rank 1000-10000 should receive the same amount of pips unless there are difference in their ability to perform in wvw. As for base pips, i am not against it at all because the results of placement depend on the ability of players on the server.

(edited by Jaysian.8135)

in WvW

Chaba.5410

Then the extra pips given to high rank should stop at rank 1000, since you max out WXP masteries at rank 1000. Rank 1000-10000 should receive the same amount of pips. As for base pips, i am not against it at all.

What’s interesting to note is that you used to need a higher WXP rank to max out all the masteries. Anet has gone through several revisions of the WvW masteries; making them account bound instead of per-character like they used to be, making some changes like removing the bonus stats and decreasing the cost to max out supply carry. I would not be surprised if there are further revisions with next expac. Recall that the HoT-only shield gen and provisioner masteries were added so limiting to rank 1000 would need review in the future to accommodate growth. We’d also still have players crying discrimination and unfair to the new player because bonus pips based on rank.

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

Posted by: Spoichiche.1290

Spoichiche.1290

You really don’t understand the complaints do you?

If when the update dropped every player got x number of skirmish tickets based on their rank, and for every rank gained from this point on, every player would get x amount of ticket, there would be no issue. Because players would be progressing at the same speed.

The problem the current system has and why people are calling it unfair, is because wvw rank affect the rate at which you earn rewards. It’s exponential instead of linear, meaning that not only new players will never catch up with the vets, but the vets will continuously increase their lead until both the new player and the vet get to rank 10000.
And when i’m talking about the reward, i’m not just talking about the skirmish tickets, but all the reward linked to pip aquisition (including the repeatable chest).

Now you’re free to think wether that’s fair of not, but please, at least try to understand what the issue is.

in WvW

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

I am sorry the OP and others feel this way. I play WvW, it is not my primary game mode but I play a few nights a week. I am rank 583, so I get one extra pip.

Now, I have two friends that WvW is their only game mode. Their ranks are like 1500 and 3000. (not exact but close enough). Do I feel cheated that they are getting their pips faster then me, no I don’t. Now let me explain why.

They have put the time in. They play WvW exclusively for all these years, even though it wasn’t rewarding. They don’t build up gold, or skins or many of the other items you build up in the other game modes. Up until this update, there wasn’t much rewards playing in WvW. PvP got its update with seasons which helped it become more rewarding. Now there are people talking about rank there, your rank there doesn’t mean much when I season starts and your getting pips. Those pips are for a short season which is based on how well you as a person play. So saying you should get more because of your rank is stupid.

But I don’t feel cheated that others are getting more pips then me, They have put the time into the game mode when it wasn’t that rewarding and now they have a chance to get rewards based off of this. GJ Anet.

Hjorje

in WvW

Chaba.5410

PvP got its update with seasons which helped it become more rewarding. Now there are people talking about rank there, your rank there doesn’t mean much when I season starts and your getting pips. Those pips are for a short season which is based on how well you as a person play. So saying you should get more because of your rank is stupid.

Rank doesn’t mean much in sPvP because you don’t get masteries attached to it, only finishers. And believe me hardcore sPvP players wanted rank to matter because competitive players like that want prestige items. There was a lot of anger when the threshold to achieve Dragon rank was lowered and suddenly overnight a bunch of Shark rank players became Dragon, diluting the prestige of Dragons who invested so much time to obtaining it before that change. Rank previously was a prestige item in sPvP but Anet didn’t nurture that because ultimately you can grind time for rank, which is why they made all those changes to sPvP since release.

Comparably, there is no good way to attach “how well you play as a person” to WvW due all the traditional problems of WvW such as population imbalances. WvW is not a game of equal teams like sPvP is.

Chaba Tangnu

(edited by Chaba.5410)

in WvW

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Ah, yes, how I missed pve entitlement!

Leave the pips system as is. Improvements:
1. commanders should get an extra pip per every 5 members of his squad; yes, up to a total of 10 extra pips just for commanding – if he is good enough to attract a full squad, he should be rewarded well. Reward our awesome leaders!
2. remove outnumbered pips. Or make it 1 pip or something. 5 pips is ridiculous and attracts stupid farms.

in WvW

Ashen.2907

If when the update dropped every player got x number of skirmish tickets based on their rank, and for every rank gained from this point on, every player would get x amount of ticket, there would be no issue.

I dont find the current set up to be unfair, but this would have been an interesting approach.

It would likely end up causing the process to complete the rewards to be more protracted for new players as the goalposts would need to be moved back so that vets didnt get maxed out immediately.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

meaning that not only new players will never catch up with the vets, but the vets will continuously increase their lead until both the new player and the vet get to rank 10000.

So it is really about being able to “catch up” and gain a “lead” on vets for you? WvW isn’t AP leaderboard. How unfair it is that new players will never surpass tabarnacos, Vallun, or LovePure, right? Remember that one AP chaser dude who was really upset that AP was awarded for being #1 in sPvP season?

Chaba Tangnu

(edited by Chaba.5410)

in WvW

Spoichiche.1290

meaning that not only new players will never catch up with the vets, but the vets will continuously increase their lead until both the new player and the vet get to rank 10000.

So it is really about being able to “catch up” and gain a “lead” on vets for you? WvW isn’t AP leaderboard. How unfair it is that new players will never surpass tabarnacos, Vallun, or LovePure, right? Remember that one AP chaser dude who was really upset that AP was awarded for being #1 in sPvP season?

I don’t know who these guys are. (High AP player i guess, isn’t Vallun a pretty good NA spvper ?)
Anyway, it’s about earning the same rewards for doing the same activity.
I’m a primarily spvper, i’m rank 208 which is not necessarilly high but it’s decent i guess. If I win a game in platinum division with a guy who’s spvp rank 30, we should both get the same rewards. I’m not entitled to anything for having played mainly spvp for 4 years and getting poorly rewarded. It was a deliberate choice i made knowing that the rewards were trash and i don’t expect being rewarded for that choice.

I really like wvw roaming, it’s what pushed me into pvp and made me love the combat system, and i got to wvw rank 500. Now that there’s a big influx of players in wvw, i can hope to have interesting fights as a roamer and that’s the reason my interest with wvw has gone up with the update. I’m really really far from being a reward driven player, but the fact that a platinum rank roamer will get twice the amount of pips i get every tick does bother me. Well, it doesn’t bother me personally, but when i’m putting myself in the shoes of a more reward driven player i 100% see it as a negative that will cause frustration and drive players away.

That’s my point of view.

(edited by Spoichiche.1290)

in WvW

Turk.5460

If when the update dropped every player got x number of skirmish tickets based on their rank, and for every rank gained from this point on, every player would get x amount of ticket, there would be no issue. Because players would be progressing at the same speed.

The problem the current system has and why people are calling it unfair, is because wvw rank affect the rate at which you earn rewards. It’s exponential instead of linear, meaning that not only new players will never catch up with the vets, but the vets will continuously increase their lead until both the new player and the vet get to rank 10000.
And when i’m talking about the reward, i’m not just talking about the skirmish tickets, but all the reward linked to pip aquisition (including the repeatable chest).

Now you’re free to think wether that’s fair of not, but please, at least try to understand what the issue is.

I completely understand the complaints. I’m merely stating that if it happened differently, and X group of players started off with more currency than Y group of players, then Y group of players would still complain to the same extent that is happening right here in this thread.

-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Spoichiche.1290

I’m merely stating that if it happened differently, and X group of players started off with more currency than Y group of players, then Y group of players would still complain to the same extent that is happening right here in this thread.

I don’t know, i don’t recall anyone complaining when transmutation charges were given based on transmutation stones, or when AP chests were awarded retroactively, or when influence got turned into favor, or when skill points were transformed into spirit shards.

Or even now, i don’t see much complaint about wvw claim tickets getting turned into the skirmish tickets.

Well, i highly doubt the amount of complaints in the forum is reflective of what the silent majority thinks anyway. I suppose saying if there would be more or less complaints is just an uneducated guess for both of us.

in WvW

Jaysian.8135

I completely understand the complaints. I’m merely stating that if it happened differently, and X group of players started off with more currency than Y group of players, then Y group of players would still complain to the same extent that is happening right here in this thread.

Nope i would not complain about that, just like i know people who participated in previous spvp seasons are gonna have more pvp tickets and ascended shard of glory than me who just started this season. Because I know everytime time i win a match every hour i spend, our reward progress are still gonna be very similar even compare to people who play spvp since the game came out. But it discouraging when someone who run next to you in wvw doing the exact samething, get 5-6 times faster reward progress.

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

Heh. They should flip it around. Give the EotM heroes less pips.
And then let team chat hilarity ensue. =)

(I’m kidding.)

I’m split on the issue. I mean there’s a fair bit of pve content with rewards that’s gated behind older pve content or barriers (such as masteries) or in itself requires a lot of pve to unlock in the first place. Players who don’t do a lot of pve but want a certain pve-based reward will have to spend more time in the forefront to “catch up” to the pve heroes who are acing every new piece of pve content as its released. However with the exception of wvw rank up abilities which mean absolutely nothing when it comes to generating loot there’s nothing to say that wvw veterans are “ahead” of the game over people who step foot into the gamemode for the first time.

I think its fair to give people who’ve thrown literally thousands of hours at the game mode a small bonus. That said it does scale heavily as it stands now. I hope they introduce more ways for players, new and old, to gain pips, (even if they have to increase the total requirements to adjust).

~ Kovu

-edit: I suppose a simple solution, (instead of the current sytem,) would be to grant a single pip to anyone rank 1,000 or higher. That way the “veterans” get something for their time, but it doesn’t scale so heavily over what the pve/pvp’ers (who are just playing the gamemode for the new rewards) get. Moreover, the pre-HoT EotM heroes won’t get more wvw rewards than actual wvw’ers.

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

(edited by Kovu.7560)