[Fort Aspenwood]-[Maguuma]-[Dragonbrand] 10/26

in WvW

Posted by: Rhyis.7058

Rhyis.7058

Or there’s more to it than that… Like the rest of my post indicated.

in WvW

Posted by: wombat.6123

wombat.6123

wombat, you must be facing very small stacks because the ones I have been a part of anyone who is in range of the stack who is downed is dead unless they are an elementalist or the stack itself is too loose.

Given you are Oceanic and our population at that time is very small I’ll assume you have never gone up against one of our bigger stacks. You do have a point that small numbers in a stack are useless and perhaps we as a server are getting into a bad habbit of relying on it too much in situations which don’t warrant it.

Yeah, I think the problem is I’m used to your small stacks which have proven very easy to wittle down. Whereas prime time I’m sure Maguuma have some very large turtles which are very hard to break.

I don’t want to argue on this topic and dereail the thread, so I’ll leave it at that.

Wombling Wombat
FA – Protectorate of Aspenwood [PRO]

in WvW

Posted by: wombat.6123

wombat.6123

Btw, I wanted to add that myself and a couple of other people I know think Maguuma are the most fun opponents we’ve had in WvW. We really enjoy fighting your server because you fight hard, don’t give up, and have some really fun tactics.

Wombling Wombat
FA – Protectorate of Aspenwood [PRO]

in WvW

Posted by: saiyr.3071

saiyr.3071

You think you know how to take towers and keeps? You know nothing. Maguuma will show you the one true way.

http://i.imgur.com/QdJG4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7tyoR.jpg

Please don’t yell at me again for what is an obvious joke

[DERP] Saiyr, “bff” of Sgt Killjoy

in WvW

Posted by: Dracil.8365

Dracil.8365

That was some fun times tonight while we kept trying to hold Maguuma garrison. Spent a couple hours going between the two northern supply camps taking it over, killing yaks, or defending yaks.

Eventually I guess the Maguumas who were in EB (it went from almost all blue to all green) came over and finally smashed us down (aside from the watergate and the trebbed wall attempts prior to that, which was also making us scramble to repair).

in WvW

Posted by: Regrets of Sini.6083

Regrets of Sini.6083

I want to thank whoever was holding that supply camp in EB with providing us (FA) with hours of entertainment. We couldn’t get through all the siege head on, so had to gradually step-in our siege from the outside to clear the corner and then portal bomb people inside.

A+, will fight again.

in WvW

Posted by: DirtyApe.9360

DirtyApe.9360

Props to mag in pag cave that was a fun fight you guys had ton of siege.I had to get on my mesmer and had my guild port in and end that fiasco.You guys got alot of kills in the meantime though

That was pretty hilarious. There were many times throughout that night that if you would have charged in you would have seen a coordinated group of humans all dancing perfectly in sync in the middle of the cave. Towards the end of the night people got a little bored and a large number of people waypointed out to hit something else, so there wasn’t as many people on defense as there had been. Shortly after was when you guys had the successful portal bomb that broke the defense. I stayed in until the end and got to see you guys finally rush in and take the point, and WOW there were a lot of people rushing in. You guys really wanted that supply camp!

in WvW

Posted by: Badwrong.3596

Badwrong.3596

I want to thank whoever was holding that supply camp in EB with providing us (FA) with hours of entertainment. We couldn’t get through all the siege head on, so had to gradually step-in our siege from the outside to clear the corner and then portal bomb people inside.

A+, will fight again.

I’m guessing this was Pangloss? The supply camp in a cave or any of them with a bottleneck doorway works.

A few warriors running in with shield block, endure pain then fear bomb… everyone rushes in after that. Works great and breaks the siege.

Problem is people rarely bother to do that, and instead just feed the turtle defense free loot baggies all day.

Or just a good mesmer providing a portal bomb is rather good.

in WvW

Posted by: Maniac.5163

Maniac.5163

Wow. Amazing fights during off-peak. To [PANG] and [GOON] from Maguuma, we [PRO] love you and we’re sorry.

in WvW

Posted by: Vorpal.4683

Vorpal.4683

People talk about stack fighting as though it is some sort of deplorable tactic… It takes a lot of coordination to move your stack all at once, etc.

Listen. The bots in frostgorge sound move as a stack. Stacking up takes no skill, effort, or coordination at all. When bots that are incapable of mimicing any but the most basic elements of actual player behavior can pull something off, you really shouldn’t try to claim it’s some complicated bit of brilliant and clever playing.

Again, I don’t blame people who use it. That’s how the game works currently. We use it, TC used it, DB uses it, you use it. And you use it better than most! And of course, it has counters. Just please don’t insult our intelligence by holding it up as an example of really rich and skilled play that makes the meta game that much better.

Irrespective of who is using stacking (and everyone uses it), I think it’s indicative of a very dumbed down and flawed realm v realm system. That kind of nonsense wouldn’t have flown in far inferior games like WAR which crashed and burned in a relatively short time, and wouldn’t have flown in DAOC, which I regard as a better game. So far. GW2 has promise, it just has a ways to go.

I also agree that culling encourages people to stack, because if you can’t see your enemy, it’s difficult to organize anything really complicated. Culling creates an absolute plethora of ridiculous wuvwuv situations and really needs to be addressed.

(edited by Vorpal.4683)

in WvW

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

People talk about stack fighting as though it is some sort of deplorable tactic… It takes a lot of coordination to move your stack all at once, etc.

Listen. The bots in frostgorge sound move as a stack. Stacking up takes no skill, effort, or coordination at all. When bots that are incapable of mimicing any but the most basic elements of actual player behavior can pull something off, you really shouldn’t try to claim it’s some complicated bit of brilliant and clever playing.

Again, I don’t blame people who use it. That’s how the game works currently. Just please don’t insult our intelligence by holding it up as an example of really rich and skilled play that makes the meta game that much better.

I don’t necessarily think stacking is overly difficult, but it would actually be much easier to move a bot stack than a human stack.

I’m hoping I come across a stack sometime soon. I want to play with it.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in WvW

Posted by: Kiado.9362

Kiado.9362

Those of us that spend a lot of time in WvW and on Mumble are usually outnumbered. We usually aren’t with the pub group (unless we have a mumble commander leading them around with an icon) and we have adapted to fight mostly outnumbered. I think that is why we birthed the stack into our strategies. Maybe I am wrong, but that is my thought.

Lujan Storm – Maguuma
The Pangolins Den [PANG]

in WvW

Maniac.5163

@Kiado: You guys [PANG] sure had us [PRO] outnumbered for the last 8 hours. I got no problem with people saying they are usually outnumbered etc, but just sayin’, we’ve been called a “zerg server” with no tactics in this thread. We did well today with a 10 man team, jumping map to map defending lord room in SMC and more than 4 seperate inner keep breaches.

in WvW

Badwrong.3596

Depending on where a stack is… you can just not go near it. Force the stack to move. I’ve never seen a stack get 100% of the people moving at the EXACT same time. Takes a few moments as everyone clicks the portal, so you pick off a few people when it moves, then move away from it again.

A good portal with people stacking out of it WILL take out siege. So siege should be spread out. Force the stack to move around, pick off people as it does. The strength of a stack is all the AOE buffs/heals. The weakness of it is range.

I’ve seen a Maguuma stack in a supply camp. Was with friend in voice chat and I said, just stand out of its range and wait. We did. Stack was then useless. The second a mesmer tries to invis over to people and move the stack, two dodge rolls and you are out of range again.

Of course there are always going to be people who “see red names” and will attack the stack. Those same people are going to die anyway in a big zerg battle, so let them while the smarter people simply dont go near it.

Also, ballista shot #2 into a stack = hilarious amount of loot baggies. That’s why a bunch of spread out ballista and a few arrow carts destroy a stack. Unless they are all built really close together, then the stack wins.

in WvW

Maniac.5163

@Badwrong: Yeah. We had Maguuma knocking on the inner door of Garrison in FA Borderlands earlier, all stacked on cata hitting gate. Only 5 of us inside, we set up a Superior Arrow cart just hidden from view behind wall, and AOE the kitten out of cata. Other 4 players ported through and charged when Maguuma was weak – ended up with 16-20 corpses scattered, haha.

in WvW

saiyr.3071

The individual player behavior is not the key to moving a stack though, it’s coordination. If you’re implying that it’s harder to coordinate bots than humans, well…I think you’re a little confused. I generally agree with your opinion that it’s not that hard, especially with Mumble, but it’s not omg-bots-do-it-so-it’s-easy easy.

in WvW

Badwrong.3596

Might have been one of the same times when I saw a stack get destroyed. Was in a garrison on friday night when the matchup changed I think.

Basically 20-30 people dead in seconds. I poped endure pain when I saw them dropping and stood on their stack making sure to tag everyone as they died. sooooo many baggies….

I’m fine with stacking, when countered its a ton of bags. If maguuma wants to feed me baggies, then cool. On the other hand I see why it frustrates people, because its a rather simple tactic that takes advantage of some poorly designed AOE mechanics.

in WvW

Badwrong.3596

The individual player behavior is not the key to moving a stack though, it’s coordination. If you’re implying that it’s harder to coordinate bots than humans, well…I think you’re a little confused. I generally agree with your opinion that it’s not that hard, especially with Mumble, but it’s not omg-bots-do-it-so-it’s-easy easy.

Huh?
“Hey guys stack up on the commander Icon”
“Ok, mesmer go portal us, thanks!”
“Use the portal guys!”

I’m just not seeing how its that complicated to the point people are proud of the tactic.

Even without voice chat, we’ve done portal stacking and crap by just saying in chat the same stuff.

People are just frustrated because its THE go to strategy for everything on some servers…. which is dumb. Sure there are other tactics worth doing, but none as strong as stacking… this makes for boring gameplay.

in WvW

Posted by: Besetment.9187

Besetment.9187

Well congratulations on smashing pubbies I guess…

in WvW

saiyr.3071

I am not arguing that people should be proud of the tactic. I am arguing that by the time you type a single letter or say a single syllable then a thousand bots can roll to a new, precisely specified stack location. Arguing that bots can do it so everyone can doesn’t seem valid to me.

(edited by saiyr.3071)

in WvW

Posted by: Daedalus.3954

Daedalus.3954

Can we get a map shot and a score shot too? Sandy has made getting any info difficult.

Commander Kaena Godsfire – Guardian
Server – Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Maniac.5163

I can do that. Dragonbrand did impressive damage to map in the “Euro” peak timezone, shout out to those guys – we just couldn’t hold those numbers back at all. Starting to slowly get it back now.

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: Daedalus.3954

Daedalus.3954

Enjoy the fight guys! Hopefully sometime this weekend we’ll get power back and most of the NE Coast will join back in. I know I’m missing it!

Commander Kaena Godsfire – Guardian
Server – Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Maniac.5163

And we miss you, ULTD! Hope all is well and you get your power up soon so you can come kick butt again

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

Maguuma catching up to DB again. It’s too bad they probably won’t be in the same match on Friday. Would have been a good one.

Attachments:

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

in WvW

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

Is it Friday yet?

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: Stonesolid.2706

Stonesolid.2706

Awesome picture from a couple nights ago. Dragonbrand assaulting their own keep. After they repaired the wall we came through they started building siege outside to break down their own door. Instead of taking the keep lord we just killed them as they tried to get through a door none of them could do any damage to.

Attachments:

Stonesolid – Sylvari Mesmer
Member of Unlimited [ULTD]
Fort Aspenwood’s Force of Chaos

in WvW

katniss.6735

HURR DURR. SO FURRN.

Attachments:

twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: Bit.2519

Bit.2519

Nothing crazy or highly watched, but I have a running GW2 thing going on youtube that I record when I stream. This was a cool clip from last night, we found Maguuma was trying to ninja our Garrison via the water gate, and we responded as quickly as we could to try to save it.

Check it out! Really shows the power of superior siege equipment.

Commander Lady Sayrah-Fort Aspenwood [PRO]
http://www.twitch.tv/bitcloud1 http://www.youtube.com/JetstormTV

in WvW

Posted by: zastari.1730

zastari.1730

All Maguuma can try to do is hop BLs and ninja crap. Can it be Friday yet? Oh wait we’ll be up against DH which outzergs us also. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Tsarazi – 80 Asuran Mesmer [DERP]
Maguuma

in WvW

katniss.6735

…This was a cool clip from last night, we found Maguuma was trying to ninja our Garrison via the water gate, and we responded as quickly as we could to try to save it.

Good vid. Nice cart placement.

twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

Had a blast this week.

I remember sunday night (or maybe it was saturday) at the maguuma borderlands.

Went to their keep, at the center about 30 maguumas standing around in the same area. A couple of us were on the roof above them, got about 20 kills spamming meteor storm and lava font

Went to defend our orb at one of our keeps. Large group was gathered at our gate trying to break through. Used my meteor storm/lava font/flame burst and ended up with about 30 kills in a period of 15-20 seconds, got 13 badges from it.

Anet make Rev great again.

in WvW

Bit.2519

…This was a cool clip from last night, we found Maguuma was trying to ninja our Garrison via the water gate, and we responded as quickly as we could to try to save it.

Good vid. Nice cart placement.

Thank you. Credit for that arrow cart goes to ibludgeon, guy picks the best spots.

in WvW

katniss.6735

The stack does not work well completely stationary. You need guardians, elementalists, and a mesmer. Dropping siege inside of it helps, too. If we have less than 20, it can usually die off to a single arrow cart. There are good spots, and bad spots. East Keep being a good spot because you’re less likely to be in red circles there. Garrison is bad because of the roof. SM is horrible unless you’re in a hallway without siege facing it. West keep varies, you have to port/walk it. The people who are playing now are made up of several different guilds. Some in voice comm, others not. It’s not planned at all. Nothing this week has been planned assaults. The population count has been atrocious. Never the same commander for more than an hour at a time. edit And by commander, I mean someone leading in voice comm. Not someone with an icon.

twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: Enenion.8127

Enenion.8127

A big thank you to the Dragonbrand people that killed the bot group in FA Borderlands lake last night. They’re better off dead.

[Help],
Fort Aspenwood

(edited by Enenion.8127)

in WvW

saiyr.3071

More on how to properly take a tower, brought to you by Maguuma:

http://i.imgur.com/PnC05.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/lBKKK.jpg

in WvW

Rhyis.7058

Treb all the gates.

in WvW

Bit.2519

More on how to properly take a tower, brought to you by Maguuma:

http://i.imgur.com/PnC05.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/lBKKK.jpg

Oh dear.

in WvW

Posted by: Halo.8976

Halo.8976

Ram the Raptor!

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: Quenta.2978

Quenta.2978

in WvW

katniss.6735

Leet Tactics

Starring: Ram, the Maguuma mascott.

Attachments:

twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: Sir William PD.9615

Sir William PD.9615

I enjoy playing this game still, as does most of my guild. The main reason we play is for the WvW, because we have always enjoyed going out as a group and fighting other groups. What boggles my mind about the WvW matchups is how can FA get absolutely destroyed last week and then this week give Mag and DB a beat down? Tarnished Coast, a roleplay server, was spawn camping us at the end of the week.

Did we have people on vacation last week or something?

-Thoryn Stormbrew, Dolyak Slayer
Purple Dragons – Fort Aspenwood
www.purpledragons.net

in WvW

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Stacks of players look like such tasty morsels.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in WvW

Posted by: zastari.1730

zastari.1730

I enjoy playing this game still, as does most of my guild. The main reason we play is for the WvW, because we have always enjoyed going out as a group and fighting other groups. What boggles my mind about the WvW matchups is how can FA get absolutely destroyed last week and then this week give Mag and DB a beat down? Tarnished Coast, a roleplay server, was spawn camping us at the end of the week.

Did we have people on vacation last week or something?

1) You outnumber Maguuma and Dragonbrand; the servers you faced last week probably outnumbered you
2) Yes, lots of players come out of the woodwork when a server wins. They were either PvE players that saw the pretty score and went to WvW or transfers into your server that came because you are winning.

Tsarazi – 80 Asuran Mesmer [DERP]
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Vorpal.4683

Vorpal.4683

You know how TC was spawn camping us? Now they are being spawn camped in their matchup and don’t even have 40k points, because instead of outnumbering us, they are outnumbered by SoR.

It’s just a total numbers game. Additionally, when one server looks like it’s losing, 80% of their people stop showing up. Which leads to pretty boring fights, IMO.

Then when you’re winning, everyone flocks to the zone to be part of the victory

in WvW

Posted by: Moonlite.7536

Moonlite.7536

As a guild leader from Maguuma, I can say I’ve had plenty of fun playing against Fort Aspenwood and Dragonbrand. Even when our 2 servers are down in the points the true WvW players have come out to play. Fort Aspenwood it’s fair to say you guys won this round but I hope you guys are able to keep your numbers up or you’ll be back down in our tiers where I don’t feel you guys belong. Keep your numbers up and force your way back into those higher tiers.

As for Dragonbrand I have never had more fun fights then when it was up against you guys. Strongly dedicated server to WvW even with your unfortunate loss of guilds to Sea of Sorrows. Maguuma faced the same exodus in our beginning and further on as we established ourselves as strong and are finally working together as a server.

Hopefully we all get to eventually experience the good fights like Yaks, Darkhaven and Crystal Desert where i hear they are neck and neck for there points.

Maguuma keep your chins up and have fun with it. Look at [PANG] putting up trebs at a gate (funny btw) and have fun even in the face of defeat. In the end of a 1 sided blow out look on the brighter side…. We became stronger as a server as the pubbies were fewer and fewer and the guilds that actually played showed there faces up to put up some decent fights.

Moon Lite – Officer of Digital Villains (DV)
Maguuma

(edited by Moonlite.7536)

in WvW

Maniac.5163

Well said!
I also hope we can field the numbers for next match up. I agree we don’t belong in this bracket, the next tiers are very tough and require a large overnight presence which is our Achilles heel trust me, we want the close matches just as badly as you do.

Dragonbrand is a force to be reckoned with, I don’t really understand the timezone their zerg hits – it’s like a peak Euro time, it’s always past my bedtime in Oceanic but too early for NA ..

Maguuma is determined and well coordinated. You can’t take your eyes off them or they WILL sneak up on you. I’m quite envious because I feel perhaps we give up a little easier than our opponents, especially in this match where Mag & DB have continued to upgrade and construct siege defenses even though they know they can only delay our forces. I can only hope this match will help with our server morale for when times are tougher.

in WvW

Posted by: Unfortunately.5940

Unfortunately.5940

Leet Tactics

Starring: Ram, the Maguuma mascott.

Oh it’s a mascot.. :p we were wondering why you set up a ram and an arrowcart next to the catapult on that tower assault (2nd assault i believe after we wiped your smaller initial force when they were on the tower lord).

Differently/Sixtysix Sixes – Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Rhyis.7058

All glory to the hypno ram.

in WvW

Posted by: Dracil.8365

Dracil.8365

The reason we lose to TC is they have a better night presence than us. After Friday nightcapping, FA’s fair weather players stop playing.