Friendly Fire makes WvW strategic?

in WvW

Posted by: Archaeneoso.8461

Archaeneoso.8461

It just seems to me that turning off friendly fire just promotes the mindless AoE zergfests we see in game.

Other than people killing team mates on purpose, is there any argument that Friendly Fire being on would not make WvW much more strategic?

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

What about griefing?

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Archaeneoso.8461

Archaeneoso.8461

You would need a penalty for friendly kills, or too many friendly kills, but that’s like war too where spies would try to cause havoc on the other side, or if you give an untrained idiot a grenade, well, crap will happen.

But without friendly fire, there is no reason for strategic AoE or even being careful wildly swinging your sword.

Its what so many PvP games are completely missing and why people feel unfilled with each one, the lack of NEED for strategy.

Yes, you can use strategy in GW2, or any of the PvP games, and do better than a team that doesn’t, but you can also see all your strategy mean nothing when a huge zerg just steamrolls through spamming AoE

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Archaeneoso, there has been a post like this before, in fact I have commented a lot on it.
I’ll try to find my suggestions/additions/remarks and post them here later.

The main objection was that the game would lagg like kitten… but it already does so that really isn’t a change. I personally think we need a combo of different things: remove aoe attacks (use 1 attack, tag 5 people sucks) and body-blocking.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

You would need a penalty for friendly kills, or too many friendly kills, but that’s like war too where spies would try to cause havoc on the other side, or if you give an untrained idiot a grenade, well, crap will happen.

You are gravely underestimating the damage caused by the resulting griefing possible through this. griefers would spawn camp on the waypoints.

the entire player base would quit the game in less than one week.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

No Grandma… there is something such as “disable body-blocking outside of combat zones” (e.g. the spawn base)

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

what does body blocking have to do with FF?

even if you make spawn areas into non-combat zones it would only move the problem, not fix it.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Best Ele/Necro nerf ever suggested.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

I do not see friendly fire working with GW2 combos…
GW2 being what it is, in part, by the combo mechanism, friendly fire would make a different game… So, no, I like it as it is and do not see how friendly fire would really improve the gameplay – would just make it poorer – take off a lot of GW2 strategies…

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

It is not feasible in this style of MMO. Friendly fire has to be designed into a game from the very beginning.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Friendly Fire could be added into s/tPvP as a arena option, but WvW, no way.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Turning on friendly fire would hurt some classes more than others.. especially the ranger. Making 2 of their better attacks worthless: Piercing arrows and barrage. They do not need any more nerfs.

Now that I think of it, all ranged classes would get the royal kitten job.

If this ever came about, the game would essentially become a range-fest. It would be the only way you could safely attack the enemy without hitting your own peeps.

in WvW

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

You would need significantly less AoE otherwise newbies would massacre their own team. You might say good for them, but in WvW you can’t control who decides to follow you and ‘help’ which could screw over organized groups, and empower griefers and spies.

Planetside 2 pulls it off even though there are many explosions (no aoe cap) because the distance to kill someone is much greater being a FPS and there is no true melee combat. Could never work in GW2. Would it make the game take more skill? Yes, but the price would be complete chaos and distrust between players.

Anet’s philosophy is to always be happy to see another player, he won’t ks your mob, steal your gathering node, and “accidentally” pk you.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

You would need significantly less AoE otherwise newbies would massacre their own team.

Newbies? Everyone would massacre their own team. Except maybe dagger/dagger theives. Imagine a large group of guardians with staff running around in zerg vs zerg. It would be hilarious.

For full friendly fire to work, we’d need several things:

- No auto-attacks. Ever. Each attack has to be a choice, requiring a redesign of the entire combat system to use the mouse as an attack.

- Enlarged maps by 10x-20×. We need to be able to spread in order not to accidentally hit friendlies. If we use the current maps, a 60 vs 60 vs 60 man battle wouldnt even fit on the plains east of bay. A “small” keep would have to increase to the size Stonemist.

- Full collision detection. We cant run through friendlies or enemies since that may mean accidentally running into more friendlies and hurting them. We have to be stopped by friendlies and enemies.

Sound like a different game? Yes. That’s because it is.

At best and realisticly, they could add “fake” FF which basicly say that you do 1/5th damage if you happen to hit a friend. So if 5 people run together and swing a hammer toward 1 person, they will only hit each other for the eqvivalent of 1 “full damage” hit, meaning they have a higher reaction time to spread out or stop the attack. The AoE limit would prevent damage from becoming extreme – in fact it would prevent damage from even hitting the enemy most of the time.

But that’s no fun. Seeing friendlies be insta-killed is more fun, I must admit.