Game Over!

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

agreed, it can be dealt with and although frustrating its here and nothing can be done about that. And although Im not the best and fighting thieves I have killed more then have killed me so Im good with that, they are predicatable and although usually a complete waste of time, a joy to kill

You can not predict the unseen yet the unseen see you.

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

agreed, it can be dealt with and although frustrating its here and nothing can be done about that. And although Im not the best and fighting thieves I have killed more then have killed me so Im good with that, they are predicatable and although usually a complete waste of time, a joy to kill

LOL….yea, I am awful when I get a thief(s)…(it is usually more than 1) on me……but enjoyable when you get one on ya that has obviously built the class for the ez-win aspect….they usually end up dead when I encounter those. But a well played thief is very, very difficult to kill……mainly because I usually end up dead….or when I do get the upper hand, they’ll run away.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

It sounds like there are a few people here who would prefer that all classes are nerf’d in WvW and overpowered in PvE.

Being gank’d in WvW isn’t fun. But there are plenty of traits/skills that prevent being 1-shot. Either take the time to learn them or get used to being gank’d whenever you roam. WvW is a PvP zone, you get players in every MMO who speck out for burst damage like the thief. Its why they’re so appealing. Don’t try and ruin the PK experience for others.

That’s only part of the problem …

We usually have 3 enemy thieves in Golanta … all those skales around make it hard to select them in the few seconds they are actually visible. When you try to follow them the skales will get you into combat and you will move much slower – so the thieves will get away, heal and get rid of condis while in stealth and re-attack while you’re still trying to get rid off the skales.

In a tower – every half decent thief can solo it. So when you have one inside after capture … how many people does it take to flush that thief out?

You call that balanced? One guy tying up 5+ people for like 10 minutes?

Another line I’ve come to hate is: Oh, you have to gear for WvW … yeah .. if you’re not a thief. THEY can go full glass cannon and still have a good chance to survive if they know what they’re doing everyone else has to adjust of course.

I have a thief as well (was my 2nd characer) and I say now what I said 2 years ago: Broken class – get rid of it.

With that logic, get rid of Mesmers, Rangers, Necromancers, Elementalists, and Engineers while your at it.

I’ve seen half decent Mesmers, Rangers, necromancers, Elementalists and Engineers all solo, 1v5 and keep them all occupied for 5-10 mins.

I can 1v5 on my Warrior, even if I can’t win I can at the very least keep the 5 occupied for 5 mins easy, so take the Warrior away too.

Just about every class is broken when you go against someone whose practiced a bit and experienced with 1v2+. Just happens most of the time its the thief, if I remember right, a while back, it was the mesmer and necro’s that where solo ganking everyone in WvW

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

some thieves believe it or not are not full gank, troll and stealth spam specs in wvw! Im not of them, and it saddens me to see so many that are and just chase easy fast kills.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Chairface.9036

Chairface.9036

With that logic, get rid of Mesmers, Rangers, Necromancers, Elementalists, and Engineers while your at it.

I’ve seen half decent Mesmers, Rangers, necromancers, Elementalists and Engineers all solo, 1v5 and keep them all occupied for 5-10 mins.

5 decent players would not be tied up for 10 mins by any of these classes, you must have seen some newbies getting farmed.

A Mesmer traited for stealth can run for awhile but its not nearly on the level of a thief, and could still use some balancing imo.

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

5 decent players would not be tied up for 10 mins by any of these classes, you must have seen some newbies getting farmed.

A Mesmer traited for stealth can run for awhile but its not nearly on the level of a thief, and could still use some balancing imo.

True, my point is any decent player can handle another other decent player. If your getting farmed/gank’d by a thief, its not that the class is broken, its the skill level is too far apart.

The thief’s have been nerf’d and ‘balanced’ so much since launch, how much more do you want to take away from them without removing them from the game.

A thief traited to run around is vulnerable to burst condi’s. Especially with their low health pools, just burn them down. Thief’s that run around at best have 2-4 cleanses, I run around beastly with my thief, but get 1 good stun/immobilize on me then burst condi and i’m down. But MOST will try to burst dps me after a stun/immobilize and fail because I’ll be able to recover and reset easily. So its not that my thief is broken, its that my opponents failed to recognize my weakness. (and yes I know my thief has tons of stun breakers, which make it hard to stun/immobilize me, but its not impossible especially if its a 1v5, it happens more often than you think. A 2sec stun/immobilize isn’t enough to dps a thief down but its long enough to get a good condi burst off)

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

5 decent players will not be tied up for any more time with a thief than they would with any of those professions.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Snorcha.7586

Snorcha.7586

there is no other mmo that allows stealth to constantly be accessed inside of combat, that is the real issue here, it makes for frustrating gameplay and one that is simply not fun.

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

there is no other mmo that allows stealth to constantly be accessed inside of combat, that is the real issue here, it makes for frustrating gameplay and one that is simply not fun.

thats essentially the biggest issue, the problem is stealth is so tied into the thieves gameplay that its difficult to do anything with it. Survivability and some damage is reliant on stealth so changing it even a little would throw off the class so much many players would stop playing it. Its just a badly designed class, because it leaves very little room for balance and change. One thing they can do is reduce the ability to spam stealth while increasing out of stealth survivability, seems that would address both issues.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Chairface.9036

Chairface.9036

5 decent players will not be tied up for any more time with a thief than they would with any of those professions.

Agree to disagree.

The fact that you have to outnumber them 5 to 1 and still the only way to down them is to stack burst, condis and stuns in the brief 1 second flash that their targetable should tell you all you need to know.

Perma stealth in pvp is a strange choice.

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

They designed the Thief’s damage and survivability to be tied to stealth even though they said the class was not going to be stealth reliant(the initiative system compounds the problem). No its not hard damage mitigation but let’s get real they get protection because of the guess work involved in where to AoE/cleave and that in itself is incredibly powerful since you’re dealing with actual people and not scripted NPCs. A competent Thief is near unkillable which is made worse by(IMHO) not being fun to fight. The only thing that saves most Rangers these days are the equally ridiculous changes Anet made recently so I suppose people are complaining about them more.

Whispers with meat.

Game Over!

in WvW

coglin.1867

Do I feel stealth is a bit over abusable, yes. I also think it is being ridiculously over exaggerated in this thread. I also disagree with what is claimed as “the only way to down them”, in this thread as well.

Downing a red named player in WvW is not the point of the game mode. That is why I disagree with aspects of most of the complaints. As I see it, what a single thief can do is irrelavent to my server winning or losing the week.

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Runewolf.8456

Runewolf.8456

People who don’t play thieves and think they know everything about the class.

Or

People who see a skilled thief pull a combo and assassinate someone and automatically claim that thieves are OP.

They both make me laugh, and this thread gives me lots of laughs.

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Or

People who see a skilled thief pull a combo and assassinate someone and automatically claim that thieves are OP.

It is not really OP – its BROKEN. Who loves to fight something you barely see most of the times and hit thin air to maybe hit that one in stealth? Not me thank you.

I thought WoW rogues could be annoying on this matter, gw2 proved me wrong.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

Oh, yet another thief-rant thread.. How refreshing.. :-)

@OP: I assume you are new to WvW (since the thief rant), so my advice here is to try to stick with some other people when running around.. Solo thieves will not easily aggro a group (they can, some will, but certainly not all).. If you wanna go about solo, make sure you invest in armor and weapons!

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Coronit.9432

Coronit.9432

Or

It is not really OP – its BROKEN. Who loves to fight something you barely see most of the times and hit thin air to maybe hit that one in stealth? Not me thank you.

I love it actually… Interrupting their stealth and deal damage, C&D while they are in stealth, because you Just know what they do and where they are going.
Only thing that I don´t like is still the D/P SA build, very difficult to stand against in a duel, but that was just me some days ago when I fought one playing 04640 fighting until death (what I was). I was surprised about the damage he could make, while being quiet tanky. I died almost everything right, dodging, interrupting etc, but still lost. D/P against S/D has some advantege, espeacially with SA, but I would never say right now that rejuvination of shadows should be nerfed, because its needed in the probably only more or less consistent build of D/D. I this will be nerfed, we gonna see more builds like 66200 or 56003 with purpose to oneshot classes and there will be more QQ again.
And please stop with that “no other mmo have it so its stupid”, gw2 is not like other mmo´s and I like it. I like the stealth mechanic, too. But that doesn´t mean I play with SA.

Thief for Live – Noc
Pls more Noc-Noc-Jokes…
How to counter Unrelenting Assault… Not anymore :<

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

I will say it again for the 35234346th time on these forums

Stealth is a noob check

All of us thought it was OP when we first started playing – we learned to play the game

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Lazeris.1725

Lazeris.1725

You know its funny in Other MMO’s Rogues/Thieves/Assassins have permanent stealth and still do crazy damage. I’m really shocked that stealth gets so much hate in this game, it’s really a staple mechanic of every major MMO and Gw2 has a very balanced approach to how stealth is actually used.

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

It sounds like there are a few people here who would prefer that all classes are nerf’d in WvW and overpowered in PvE.

Being gank’d in WvW isn’t fun. But there are plenty of traits/skills that prevent being 1-shot. Either take the time to learn them or get used to being gank’d whenever you roam. WvW is a PvP zone, you get players in every MMO who speck out for burst damage like the thief. Its why they’re so appealing. Don’t try and ruin the PK experience for others.

That’s only part of the problem …

We usually have 3 enemy thieves in Golanta … all those skales around make it hard to select them in the few seconds they are actually visible. When you try to follow them the skales will get you into combat and you will move much slower – so the thieves will get away, heal and get rid of condis while in stealth and re-attack while you’re still trying to get rid off the skales.

In a tower – every half decent thief can solo it. So when you have one inside after capture … how many people does it take to flush that thief out?

You call that balanced? One guy tying up 5+ people for like 10 minutes?

Another line I’ve come to hate is: Oh, you have to gear for WvW … yeah .. if you’re not a thief. THEY can go full glass cannon and still have a good chance to survive if they know what they’re doing everyone else has to adjust of course.

I have a thief as well (was my 2nd characer) and I say now what I said 2 years ago: Broken class – get rid of it.

I can 1v5 on my Warrior, even if I can’t win I can at the very least keep the 5 occupied for 5 mins easy, so take the Warrior away too.

Just about every class is broken when you go against someone whose practiced a bit and experienced with 1v2+. Just happens most of the time its the thief, if I remember right, a while back, it was the mesmer and necro’s that where solo ganking everyone in WvW

1vs 5 in a keep for 5 minutes with a warrior? You must have horrible enemies where you play …

I am not talking about 1:1 balance by the way. I am talking about someone being able to more or less perma stealth in a keep by hitting doors or jumping through self created smoke screens. Every other class that can have stealth can use it as a tactical thing only … for a very brief amount of time. Thieves can keep it up indefinetly and that makes flushing a thief out of a tower a group task. No other class requires you to do that – but, of course, thief is absolutely ok.

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

Game Over!

in WvW

HtFde.3856

A Mesmer can go stealth for a while but then cannot re-steakth before a rather lengthy cooldown. That’s why a Mesmer has to be smart if he is detected and wants to stay in the tower/keep. All a thief has to do is hit doors or NPCs that don’t hit back when being backstabbed.

It wouldn’t be quite as bad if thieves were kinda slowed down when stealthed but, no, they are, of course, one of the classes with the highest mobility in the game + get extra mobility when steathed if traited so … so you see the thief hit the door – in 1 1/2 seconds he is 2.000 away from that door while the AoE lands there …

Game Over!

in WvW

HtFde.3856

True, my point is any decent player can handle another other decent player. If your getting farmed/gank’d by a thief, its not that the class is broken, its the skill level is too far apart.

The thief’s have been nerf’d and ‘balanced’ so much since launch, how much more do you want to take away from them without removing them from the game.

A thief traited to run around is vulnerable to burst condi’s. Especially with their low health pools, just burn them down. Thief’s that run around at best have 2-4 cleanses, I run around beastly with my thief, but get 1 good stun/immobilize on me then burst condi and i’m down. But MOST will try to burst dps me after a stun/immobilize and fail because I’ll be able to recover and reset easily. So its not that my thief is broken, its that my opponents failed to recognize my weakness. (and yes I know my thief has tons of stun breakers, which make it hard to stun/immobilize me, but its not impossible especially if its a 1v5, it happens more often than you think. A 2sec stun/immobilize isn’t enough to dps a thief down but its long enough to get a good condi burst off)

Ponders – solution: Only play condi builds and classes that have lots of condi in case you run into a thief. Hey, those builds might be entirely worthless for the other classes but they’ll get the thief down …

Not broken, eh?

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Maybe if they gave cast time to thief skills so you can’t just macro 6 skills in 0.02 of a second it would make things better. I’m constantly amused by my combat log on a staff ele that in the one full second (it’s actually longer) for my staff auto attack to go sailing off to miss the by now stealthed and 2000 ranged away thief that there is a huge pile of numbers from the other player.

As for ‘get more armor’ posts, it doesn’t matter how much you have on a medium or light armor build, burst thief will still hit you for 5-6k per skill whilst your standing like a stone.

Thief class mechanics are broken but it’s not clear how you would fix them without losing the whole flavour of the class.

I’m playing a condi build in pvp and it’s just funny how easy it is to mitigate damage, avoid players and escape if things start going pear shaped…whilst doing more condi damage than most necros and having almost as much armor as a guard.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Game Over!

in WvW

HtFde.3856

I am curious – please exlain your superior strategy to me.

Scenario: A newly captured tower (let’s take Jerrifer’s for this example) and you just see a thief stealth at the door. You have 5 players. What do you do to get rid of the thief – we will assume the thief has full initiative and no cooldowns on their skills as they slipped through the gate just before capture was completed and didn’t have to fight or evade.

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I’m surprised it took so many posts before someone mentioned how broken thief stealth really is. Combine that with backstab? Good times. That end really fast. Not to hijack the post, but imho, thief stealth should be in line with mesmer’s invis.

But as others have said, when in WvW, ask in map chat for people to come with you, and mention you are having problems with a thief. If there’s a condi mez on the map, I’ll wager they’ll come help you just so they can kill the thief.

Nah, I’d rather go head to head with a thief than a PU mesmer when running around on my guardian.

OP just needs to learn what to do and what not to do in WvW then understand that people will gank you if they feel they can, because, well its WvW.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Game Over!

in WvW

HtFde.3856

Agree to disagree.

The fact that you have to outnumber them 5 to 1 and still the only way to down them is to stack burst, condis and stuns in the brief 1 second flash that their targetable should tell you all you need to know.

Perma stealth in pvp is a strange choice.

I asked him for a scenario and I chose Jerrifer’s for a reason. When I am the troll thief I always manage to become visible while outside of their range … I’ve hidden in Jerrifer’s for 90 minutes with up to 10 people hunting for me … so I’m really curious about the strategy that will kill me

Everyone balls up: Enough damage to down me but, hey, I won’t become visible while inside your range :P

Everyone splits up: Fine, I probably cannot become visible while outside of someones range but one dude isn’t going to kill me, I’ll outheal the damage I take and with shadow stepping + untargeted heartseeker or longbow 5 I’ll be a loooong looong way from where I appeared when the others arrive and layer AoE where I was 2 seconds ago.

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I will add however that the stealth off of walls and doors thing is just cheap exploitation of something that was briefly fixed before an update re-broke it and Anet has yet to address it again.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Game Over!

in WvW

HtFde.3856

Or

Staying invisible in a keep or tower is not a “skillful combo” it’s annoying and a single thief can easily solo a tower and – if it’s a good thief – solo a keep so you naturally want them out of your home before you move on.

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Asudementio.8526

Asudementio.8526

To me WvW is too often instant “Game Over!”. E.g., just before posting this, a thief got 95% of my health with one hit. I had been 3 minutes in WvW. I rather would like to play the game longer.

Classes should be modified so that nobody can do instakills. Longer fights. Longer gameplay.

Alternatively the game should have a difficulty level. Those who like instakills would play with level “hard” and we the rest would play with level “casual”. Perhaps in different WvW maps if the idea causes somebody to rage.

This to me a is a mark of inexperience, i don’t know your situation but if you can find a casual WvW guild on your server they should be able to help you tune your gear and build to address most of the current meta. No one build can do it all, but keen awareness and a wide knowledge of not only your class but that of your opponent makes instakills and dying to “cheese” builds virtually impossible.

Leader of [Suh]
My moves are fresh, like my groceries.
#TeamEvonforever

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

Maybe if they gave cast time to thief skills so you can’t just macro 6 skills in 0.02 of a second it would make things better. I’m constantly amused by my combat log on a staff ele that in the one full second (it’s actually longer) for my staff auto attack to go sailing off to miss the by now stealthed and 2000 ranged away thief that there is a huge pile of numbers from the other player.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Thief_skills
Nearly every skill has a cast time.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Game Over!

in WvW

DarkSyze.8627

You know its funny in Other MMO’s Rogues/Thieves/Assassins have permanent stealth and still do crazy damage. I’m really shocked that stealth gets so much hate in this game, it’s really a staple mechanic of every major MMO and Gw2 has a very balanced approach to how stealth is actually used.

I play many mmo’s game with rogue class, what mmo’s game? Name mmo’s game? Player would say unfair and company would change.

Here some Blizzard change to Rogue class

Patch 3.2.2.

1. Fan of Knives: The damage done by this ability has been reduced by 30%.
2. Throwing Specialization: This talent no longer causes Fan of Knives to interrupt spellcasting.
6. Honor Among Thieves: A 1-second cooldown is now enforced on how often a rogue can gain combo points from his party via this talent.

Patch 4.2.0

1. Cloak of Shadows cooldown is now 2 minutes, up from 90 seconds. In addition, Cloak of Shadows is no longer on the global cooldown.
2. Combat Readiness and Cloak of Shadows now share a cooldown.
3. Stealth now once again begins its cooldown once the rogue leaves Stealth.

Patch 2.3.0

1. If you are in Stealth and try to use an ability that may not be used while stealthed, you will leave stealth and use that ability.

Patch 3.1.2 Bug Fix

1. Shadow Dance: Issues with action bars and ability use arising from using Stealth while Shadow Dance is active have been fixed.
2. Tricks of the Trade: To prevent exploits, this ability can no longer be cast on non-player targets.

This how wow stealth work- maybe arena net can make same if want or better for stealth challenge

1. Stealth is a core rogue ability learned at level five. It prevents other creatures from detecting the stealthed player unless particularly close.
2. Stealth is no longer broken due to falling damage, unless of course it kills the stealthed unit. However, fire damage from camp fires will still reveal it.
3. Stealth is not invisibility. You can be detected by others. Monsters that detect you may stop in their tracks and turn to face you, or attack you directly. Players that detect you will hear a sound, and will be able to target you. The chance of detection increases as you get closer, but also depends on the viewing angle (stand right in front of an enemy and you can guarantee they’ll see you), the relative levels, and any perception or subtlety modifiers.
4. Taking any action such as looting or attacking will remove stealth. There are a few exceptions, such as [Distract], or [Pick Pocket]. Also as of patch 2.1.0, sapping an opponent does not remove the rogue’s stealth.
5. Most damage taken (including from AoEs or DoTs) will remove Stealth. However, fall damage will NOT remove Stealth.
6. Fear AoE’s and certain other AoE’s will remove Stealth.
7. Enemies much higher in level will tend to see through Stealth from quite a distance
8. Enemies you are in front of will see through Stealth as you get closer.
9. You cannot enter stealth while in combat. However, Rogues can use [Vanish] to equivalent effect. Note that if you have a DoT the Stealth will break the next time it damages you.
10. It is possible to eat and enter stealth, to reduce your chance of being seen while eating. This is useful, especially during PvP, where a certain crit can be fatal, or when going afk for a few minutes while restoring health.

Ankur

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Runewolf.8456

Runewolf.8456

Or

Thank you for the laugh my friend and for proving my point.

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: SoulSin.5682

SoulSin.5682

I play many mmo’s game with rogue class, what mmo’s game? Name mmo’s game? Player would say unfair and company would change.

Here some Blizzard change to Rogue class

Patch 3.2.2.

1. Fan of Knives: The damage done by this ability has been reduced by 30%.
2. Throwing Specialization: This talent no longer causes Fan of Knives to interrupt spellcasting.
6. Honor Among Thieves: A 1-second cooldown is now enforced on how often a rogue can gain combo points from his party via this talent.

Patch 4.2.0

1. Cloak of Shadows cooldown is now 2 minutes, up from 90 seconds. In addition, Cloak of Shadows is no longer on the global cooldown.
2. Combat Readiness and Cloak of Shadows now share a cooldown.
3. Stealth now once again begins its cooldown once the rogue leaves Stealth.

Patch 2.3.0

1. If you are in Stealth and try to use an ability that may not be used while stealthed, you will leave stealth and use that ability.

Patch 3.1.2 Bug Fix

1. Shadow Dance: Issues with action bars and ability use arising from using Stealth while Shadow Dance is active have been fixed.
2. Tricks of the Trade: To prevent exploits, this ability can no longer be cast on non-player targets.

This how wow stealth work- maybe arena net can make same if want or better

1. Stealth is a core rogue ability learned at level five. It prevents other creatures from detecting the stealthed player unless particularly close.
2. Stealth is no longer broken due to falling damage, unless of course it kills the stealthed unit. However, fire damage from camp fires will still reveal it.
3. Stealth is not invisibility. You can be detected by others. Monsters that detect you may stop in their tracks and turn to face you, or attack you directly. Players that detect you will hear a sound, and will be able to target you. The chance of detection increases as you get closer, but also depends on the viewing angle (stand right in front of an enemy and you can guarantee they’ll see you), the relative levels, and any perception or subtlety modifiers.
4. Taking any action such as looting or attacking will remove stealth. There are a few exceptions, such as [Distract], or [Pick Pocket]. Also as of patch 2.1.0, sapping an opponent does not remove the rogue’s stealth.
5. Most damage taken (including from AoEs or DoTs) will remove Stealth. However, fall damage will NOT remove Stealth.
6. Fear AoE’s and certain other AoE’s will remove Stealth.
7. Enemies much higher in level will tend to see through Stealth from quite a distance
8. Enemies you are in front of will see through Stealth as you get closer.
9. You cannot enter stealth while in combat. However, Rogues can use [Vanish] to equivalent effect. Note that if you have a DoT the Stealth will break the next time it damages you.
10. It is possible to eat and enter stealth, to reduce your chance of being seen while eating. This is useful, especially during PvP, where a certain crit can be fatal, or when going afk for a few minutes while restoring health.

Here is a comic strip that pretty much defines the current situation of rogues at that very same “other mmo”

Funny enough, our patch notes on Thief nerfs are a few times bigger than that.

(edited by SoulSin.5682)

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

List of Nerfs
14 September 2012
Heartseeker: Reduced damage of the 100%-50% threshold by 20%.
October 7th 2012
Pistol Whip: Reduced damage by 15%.
Basilisk Venom: Stun breakers now work on this skill.
October 22, 2012
Assassin’s Signet: This skill has been updated to grant 15% damage for 5 attacks rather than 50% damage for one attack. [Debatable if nerf]
Ink Shot: This skill no longer allows players to shadowstep out of water.
Whirling Axe: This skill has had evasion removed from the ability
November 15, 2012
Dancing Dagger: This skill’s damage has been reduced by 50%.
Shadowstep: This skill is temporarily disabled underwater to keep players from circumventing walls when using it.
Tactical Strike: This skill’s daze duration has been reduced from 2 seconds to 1.5 seconds in PvP.
Cluster Shot: This skill’s damage is reduced by 15% in PvP.
Cloak and Dagger: This skill’s damage has been reduced by 33% in PvP only.
December 14, 2012
Piercing Shot: This skill is no longer able to fire at enemies behind the player.
January 28, 2013
Leeching Venoms: This trait no longer affects gadgets.
Smoke Screen: This skill’s blinding pulse no longer follows the thief.
February 26, 2013
Cloak and Dagger: The player can no longer use this ability stack stealth by attacking WvW walls.
Using stealth no longer resets NPC aggression tables. [Debatable if nerf]
March 26, 2013
Stealth: The duration of Revealed has been increased to 4 seconds when coming out of stealth via an attack.
Caltrops: Reduced duration from 15 seconds to 10 seconds.
Basilisk Venom skill: No longer immobilizes targets in addition to stunning them.
Quickness: Reduced from 100% attack speed to 50%.
April 30, 2013
Mug trait: Can no longer critically hit.
Trick Shot skill: First arrow is no longer heat-seeking.
Smoke Screen skill: No longer destroys unblockable missiles.
May 14, 2013
WvW Stealth Disruptor Trap: Removes stealth from enemies and reveals them for 30 seconds, preventing stealth.
May 28, 2013
Shadow Return skill: No longer has infinite range.
June 25, 2013
Body Shot: Decreased the vulnerability duration to 3 seconds.
Cluster Bomb: Decreased the range set from 1200 to 900
Larcenous Strike: Increased the initiative cost to 2.
Nine Tailed Strike: Increased the initiative cost from 3 to 5.
Shadow Assault: Increased the initiative cost from 5 to 7.
Shadow Return (Infiltrator Strike Toggle): This skill is no longer a stun breaker.
Withdraw: The travel distance underwater has been cut in half to match the land distance.
Lotus Poison: Can only apply once every 20 seconds per target.
July 9th, 2013
Shadow Trap: This skill now has a maximum duration of 120 seconds.
October 5th, 2013
“We’re looking at shaving the efficiency of Flanking Strike slightly, so that it now only removes 1 boon instead of 2.”

This does not even include 2014 where flanking strike was further nerfed

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Sreoom.3690

Sreoom.3690

List of Nerfs
14 September 2012
Heartseeker: Reduced damage of the 100%-50% threshold by 20%.
October 7th 2012
Pistol Whip: Reduced damage by 15%.
Basilisk Venom: Stun breakers now work on this skill.
October 22, 2012
Assassin’s Signet: This skill has been updated to grant 15% damage for 5 attacks rather than 50% damage for one attack. [Debatable if nerf]
Ink Shot: This skill no longer allows players to shadowstep out of water.
Whirling Axe: This skill has had evasion removed from the ability
November 15, 2012
Dancing Dagger: This skill’s damage has been reduced by 50%.
Shadowstep: This skill is temporarily disabled underwater to keep players from circumventing walls when using it.
Tactical Strike: This skill’s daze duration has been reduced from 2 seconds to 1.5 seconds in PvP.
Cluster Shot: This skill’s damage is reduced by 15% in PvP.
Cloak and Dagger: This skill’s damage has been reduced by 33% in PvP only.
December 14, 2012
Piercing Shot: This skill is no longer able to fire at enemies behind the player.
January 28, 2013
Leeching Venoms: This trait no longer affects gadgets.
Smoke Screen: This skill’s blinding pulse no longer follows the thief.
February 26, 2013
Cloak and Dagger: The player can no longer use this ability stack stealth by attacking WvW walls.
Using stealth no longer resets NPC aggression tables. [Debatable if nerf]
March 26, 2013
Stealth: The duration of Revealed has been increased to 4 seconds when coming out of stealth via an attack.
Caltrops: Reduced duration from 15 seconds to 10 seconds.
Basilisk Venom skill: No longer immobilizes targets in addition to stunning them.
Quickness: Reduced from 100% attack speed to 50%.
April 30, 2013
Mug trait: Can no longer critically hit.
Trick Shot skill: First arrow is no longer heat-seeking.
Smoke Screen skill: No longer destroys unblockable missiles.
May 14, 2013
WvW Stealth Disruptor Trap: Removes stealth from enemies and reveals them for 30 seconds, preventing stealth.
May 28, 2013
Shadow Return skill: No longer has infinite range.
June 25, 2013
Body Shot: Decreased the vulnerability duration to 3 seconds.
Cluster Bomb: Decreased the range set from 1200 to 900
Larcenous Strike: Increased the initiative cost to 2.
Nine Tailed Strike: Increased the initiative cost from 3 to 5.
Shadow Assault: Increased the initiative cost from 5 to 7.
Shadow Return (Infiltrator Strike Toggle): This skill is no longer a stun breaker.
Withdraw: The travel distance underwater has been cut in half to match the land distance.
Lotus Poison: Can only apply once every 20 seconds per target.
July 9th, 2013
Shadow Trap: This skill now has a maximum duration of 120 seconds.
October 5th, 2013
“We’re looking at shaving the efficiency of Flanking Strike slightly, so that it now only removes 1 boon instead of 2.”

This does not even include 2014 where flanking strike was further nerfed

Well…that’s a good start. The day I see a thief think twice before attacking 3-4 players by themselves is the day I know their skills have been balanced out to an acceptable level.

“The Leaf on Wind”
JQ Ranger

Game Over!

in WvW

coglin.1867

Cast a reveal on them and they will. I know “analyze” does wonders for me. Toss in a few bombs or grenades and a magnet pull and viola. Provlem solved.

Game Over!

in WvW

DarkSyze.8627

wow rogue after many change; nerf become challenge class so why after thief many change; nerf is not challenge class, why? wow rogue never was instant kill class but high damage and have too much stealth… so why after 2 year guild wars 2 release, thief change;nerf, is very high damage and have many stealth? Why guild wars 2 stealth have no reveal by condition damage and other damage? Thief player in party server say thief class nerf is no real nerf at all; no much different; still other class die fast and stealth hide all the time even stealth of object.
Blizzard change for rogue class is challenge- no high damage; never instant kill and stealth too much= fun for other player
wvw is fun when i play with party and zerg only; i alone= no fun because instant kill waiting,

Ankur

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: SoulSin.5682

SoulSin.5682

wow rogue after many change; nerf become challenge class so why after thief many change; nerf is not challenge class, why?

The word “challenge” here is mostly used by players that don’t play the class in question.
For some reason.

wow rogue never was instant kill class but high damage and have too much stealth… so why after 2 year guild wars 2 release, thief change;

Get your facts straight, thieves can’t insta-kill people on Gw2 ever since the Crit Dmg nerf.

PS: I am taking in consideration that you aren’t uplvled, glass cannon and low HP tier class. Because if you are, my Guardian can prolly instant kill you as well.

nerf, is very high damage and have many stealth? Why guild wars 2 stealth have no reveal by condition damage and other damage?

What sense does that make?

Thief player in party server say thief class nerf is no real nerf at all; no much different; still other class die fast and stealth hide all the time even stealth of object.

That phrase makes no sense.
Then again, like I mentioned in the last page, most players worth a salt are already used to fight against stealth.

Blizzard change for rogue class is challenge- no high damage; never instant kill and stealth too much= fun for other player

“fun for the other player”.
Yup, that pretty much defines the whole problem of the class after the nerf.

wvw is fun when i play with party and zerg only; i alone= no fun because instant kill waiting,

Wasn’t expecting anything more from you.

Game Over!

in WvW

DarkSyze.8627

wow rogue after many change; nerf become challenge class so why after thief many change; nerf is not challenge class, why?

The word “challenge” here is mostly used by players that don’t play the class in question.
For some reason.

wow rogue never was instant kill class but high damage and have too much stealth… so why after 2 year guild wars 2 release, thief change;

Get your facts straight, thieves can’t insta-kill people on Gw2 ever since the Crit Dmg nerf.

PS: I am taking in consideration that you aren’t uplvled, glass cannon and low HP tier class. Because if you are, my Guardian can prolly instant kill you as well.

nerf, is very high damage and have many stealth? Why guild wars 2 stealth have no reveal by condition damage and other damage?

What sense does that make?

Thief player in party server say thief class nerf is no real nerf at all; no much different; still other class die fast and stealth hide all the time even stealth of object.

That phrase makes no sense.
Then again, like I mentioned in the last page, most players worth a salt are already used to fight against stealth.

“fun for the other player”.
Yup, that pretty much defines the whole problem of the class after the nerf.

Wasn’t expecting anything more from you.

Thief player post instant kill play; is after critic nerf?? I can not find critic change; nerf december 20, 2014?

see> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYLPk_tjvs8

Ankur

Game Over!

in WvW

coglin.1867

Thief player post instant kill play; is after critic nerf?? I can not find critic change; nerf december 20, 2014?

What does a glass cannon SD Engineer have to do with a discussion about stealth, and inaccurate accusations about thief?

Game Over!

in WvW

DarkSyze.8627

What does a glass cannon SD Engineer have to do with a discussion about stealth, and inaccurate accusations about thief?

You said critic was nerfed; here is critic;burst engineer instant kill, and so thief can not do same and better?

Ankur

Game Over!

in WvW

coglin.1867

If thief can do better, offer video of a thief, and not an engineer.

Game Over!

in WvW

DarkSyze.8627

Take from experience player who agree thief need change- https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Mesmer-s-and-Thieves-the-cause-of-PvP-s-Meta/first

Ankur

Game Over!

in WvW

coglin.1867

Take from; https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Mesmer-s-and-Thieves-the-cause-of-PvP-s-Meta/first

What does an editorial from another website have to do with the claim your making?

Game Over!

in WvW

DarkSyze.8627

Take from; https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Mesmer-s-and-Thieves-the-cause-of-PvP-s-Meta/first

What does an editorial from another website have to do with the claim your making?

You say i am “make” claim, so here this is Arena net forum; 2 years ago; 2012 to 8 month 2014 on thief class not have challenge; ask all player in forum why “make” claim? Editor from website “make” claim too and arena net?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/The-thief-and-its-gameplay-Your-feedback-Merged/first

2012-2014 thief check; example;quote-

1. A thief can use stealth to drop combat, heal to full automatically, then reengage before their target can drop combat. Even allowing for a brand new weapon to be equipped that’s perfect vs that target. So it’s a free reset for the thief but not for their target.

2. “A thief can do damage and stay stealthed. If the thief does this properly the target will not realize where the damage is coming from until it’s too late. You can never really know if you are being killed by a stealthed thief or just by an unrendered source. So you cannot simply think “I’m taking damage must be a thief” and respond accordingly because if it’s just the clipping bug then you are equally screwed. (But if you are dead in under 2sec… ya it was a thief”.)

3. You cannot run away from a thief. It is impossible. The only thing you can hope for is that the thief doesn’t follow you for some reason. They can engage combat at the farthest range by a very large margin. They out-range and out run everything with proper use of shadowstep + other skills.

4. Thieves can kill with a burst, but they die pretty easily as well.
If there is something OP is the almost permanent stealth.

5. “Things that need to go:
Thieves resteathling repeatedly in a short interval.
Thieves moving across the map faster than any other class or any thing that ever lived in gw2.
You should not have multiple get out of jail cards. If you engage in a fight you should tough it out. If you lose..tough luck..learn to play like the rest of us.
The multiple restealthing has to be fixed either by introducing cooldowns or increasing the initiative requirements.
Its like monty python chasing a thief around. How can anyone take this game seriously if these glaring imbalances and broken mechanics are still in effect months into the game? The fixes are simple and easy
”.

6. Still broken. Perma stealth, repeated stealth. Worst stealth mechanic ever.
Anyone know the name of the person who came up with the stealth mechanic so I never play a game he/she is involved in ?

7. Other games seem to do just fine with stealth breaking on damage or on them doing damage. I don’t understand why Anet feels the need to make stealth far more powerful in this game vs other games who have years of pvp experience…

8. “thieves really haven’t been nerfed in a meaningful way though”.

9. I have no idea how much health he had – but he happily walked in (invisible ofc) dropped one guy to downed, went invisible again (ofc) we started to aoe and rez and stomp – then ofc he went invisible again.
because ofc the godmode invisible insane damage class is perfectly fine /rolleyes.
Noone in this game thinks thieves are balanced – fix it ANET before its too late.

10. Shrilly-2014 year; “There is no true counter for stealth.
To balance stealth some of the following should happen…
-Damaging a stealth player should still reveal the damage numbers where the stealth player is positioned/running/standing..
-If a stealth player attacks another player, and that player blocks/evades the attack. The stealth player should be revealed instantly.
-stealth players should no longer “fade” in. once you are no longer stealthed. a black smoke should appear as you reappear.
-If you have a stealth player targeted before he enters stealth, that target should remain when he unstealths.
and yes, i play a thief, and it’s a broken broken class mechanic
”.

So thief class is challenge class after 2012-2014?

Ankur

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: ngdani.9482

ngdani.9482

1. A thief can use stealth to drop combat, heal to full automatically, then reengage before their target can drop combat. Even allowing for a brand new weapon to be equipped that’s perfect vs that target. So it’s a free reset for the thief but not for their target.

If a thief resets the fight, the opponent also gets the reset.
That would only make sense if there are other enemy players that have also engaged and are still in range or NPC mobs around.

2. A thief can do damage and stay stealthed. If the thief does this properly the target will not realize where the damage is coming from until it’s too late. You can never really know if you are being killed by a stealthed thief or just by an unrendered source. So you cannot simply think “I’m taking damage must be a thief” and respond accordingly because if it’s just the clipping bug then you are equally screwed. (But if you are dead in under 2sec… ya it was a thief.)

The only thief that could do any decent damage while stealthed would be a condi P/D Cheese thief using caltrops,uncatchable etc.. but would they be able to kill anything with out breaking it and dropping sneak attack or a few shadow strikes to stack conditions? no decent player will lose to a thief just stacking bleeds.
If you’re talking about power builds, well then lol, even if you’re a crappy stealth spamming DP thief you cant stay stealthed and do any decent amount of damage. You can usually tell if a thief traits into SA or not, difference of 3/4 second CnD stealth/BP+HS combo, most classes (lolnecro) have blink/mobility skills, the thief needs to allow themselves to let stealth drop off before they execute the next stealth chain attack, therefore learning to time dodges while kiting is important.

3. You cannot run away from a thief. It is impossible. The only thing you can hope for is that the thief doesn’t follow you for some reason. They can engage combat at the farthest range by a very large margin. They out-range and out run everything with proper use of shadowstep + other skills.

Thieves are made to finish off lower opponents. However, chasing down opponents comes at a huge cost, if you blow shadowstep/infiltrators/steal to just catch an opponent, that already puts you at a disadvantage, spamming infiltrators arrow will mean you’re gonna be low on initiative. And thats IF the thief is running shortbow.

Please tell me how you’re able to perma stealth.

Not sure if troll…

Game Over!

in WvW

DarkSyze.8627

If a thief resets the fight, the opponent also gets the reset.
That would only make sense if there are other enemy players that have also engaged and are still in range or NPC mobs around.

2. A thief can do damage and stay stealthed. If the thief does this properly the target will not realize where the damage is coming from until it’s too late. You can never really know if you are being killed by a stealthed thief or just by an unrendered source. So you cannot simply think “I’m taking damage must be a thief” and respond accordingly because if it’s just the clipping bug then you are equally screwed. (But if you are dead in under 2sec… ya it was a thief.)

The only thief that could do any decent damage while stealthed would be a condi P/D Cheese thief using caltrops,uncatchable etc.. but would they be able to kill anything with out breaking it and dropping sneak attack or a few shadow strikes to stack conditions? no decent player will lose to a thief just stacking bleeds.
If you’re talking about power builds, well then lol, even if you’re a crappy stealth spamming DP thief you cant stay stealthed and do any decent amount of damage. You can usually tell if a thief traits into SA or not, difference of 3/4 second CnD stealth/BP+HS combo, most classes (lolnecro) have blink/mobility skills, the thief needs to allow themselves to let stealth drop off before they execute the next stealth chain attack, therefore learning to time dodges while kiting is important.

Thieves are made to finish off lower opponents. However, chasing down opponents comes at a huge cost, if you blow shadowstep/infiltrators/steal to just catch an opponent, that already puts you at a disadvantage, spamming infiltrators arrow will mean you’re gonna be low on initiative. And thats IF the thief is running shortbow.

Please tell me how you’re able to perma stealth.

Not sure if troll…

4 month September 2014; still work?
Perma Stealth!

Ankur

Game Over!

in WvW

coglin.1867

You say i am “make” claim, so here this is Arena net forum; 2 years ago; 2012 to 8 month 2014 on thief class not have challenge; ask all player in forum why “make” claim? Editor from website “make” claim too and arena net?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/The-thief-and-its-gameplay-Your-feedback-Merged/first

2012-2015 thief check; example

You mean Anet thread? This entire place is thier forum. And that is a merged mess of user threads, just saying.

Stealth does not drop combat, distance from the last attacker to hit you does. Stealth merely allows you to gain distance, which many professions can do.

Stealth does not allow them to “Heal to full automatically” …………..I can agree with some honest complaints, but this dishonest falsehoods you post make it hard to take you seriously.

2. A thief can do damage and stay stealthed.

You mean from DoTs? because if your claiming they can attack and not break stealth, you would be fibbing good sir.

If the thief does this properly the target will not realize where the damage is coming from until it’s too late.

Now this is where I am having trouble taking you seriously. You keep assuming that because you are unable to understand where the damage is coming from, that it applies to all of us.

I cannot think of the last time I didn’t know where the damage came from. Do not forcefully apply inability to locate a thief onto the rest of the community please.

You can never really know if you are being killed by a stealthed thief or just by an unrendered source. So you cannot simply think “I’m taking damage must be a thief” and respond accordingly because if it’s just the clipping bug then you are equally screwed. (But if you are dead in under 2sec… ya it was a thief.)

this is a learn to play issue in my opinion. If you take damage for 2s and never dodge or even double dodge, your at fault, not the game, the profession, or the mechanics.

3. You cannot run away from a thief. It is impossible.

You mean you can’t. I know others can, i see it happen.

The only thing you can hope for is that the thief doesn’t follow you for some reason. They can engage combat at the farthest range by a very large margin. They out-range and out run everything with proper use of shadowstep + other skills.

LMAO, I love for a thief to follow me. I run a bomb build engineer. To get in melee range, they will have to deal with multiple conditions, pulsing blinds, my block that stuns, and wanste initiative on my dodges.

Game Over!

in WvW

coglin.1867

Sure, I can agree that perma stealth can be OP. Finally you stated something not only reasonable, but something I can agree with. I do not feel they need a nerf though. There are several things that are OP in the game but do not need nerfed.

5. Things that need to go:
Thieves moving across the map faster than any other class or any thing that ever lived in gw2.

Your turning your entire post into one giant hyperbole.

You should not have multiple get out of jail cards. If you engage in a fight you should tough it out. If you lose..tough luck..learn to play like the rest of us.

hmm, I can beat thieves consistently, as well as most anyone else I know. Including other thieves. Shouldn’t you learn to play like the rest of us?

The multiple restealthing has to be fixed either by introducing cooldowns or increasing the initiative requirements.

They did fix this. It is called reveal.

Its like monty python chasing a thief around. How can anyone take this game seriously if these glaring imbalances and broken mechanics are still in effect months into the game? The fixes are simple and easy.

You mean you are like monty python chasing a thief around. Though I see it more of a keystone cop situation. But that is do to your lack of understanding about the situation, and not the professions fault.

Anyone know the name of the person who came up with the stealth mechanic so I never play a game he/she is involved in ?

Feel free to never play this game he/she is evolved in.

7. Shrilly-2014 year; There is no true counter for stealth.

PM me in game. Jump on your thief and we will go to a personal arena and test this theory. If stealth is so easy to abuse, I am sure you will kick my tail all over the place right?

DarkSyze should learn to play.

Now i would like to repeat that I feel stealth is OP, but your not even being reasonable and definitely not honest in my opinion. You are claiming things as not possible that I literally see occur on a daily bases.

Game Over!

in WvW

DarkSyze.8627

Sure, I can agree that perma stealth can be OP. Finally you stated something not only reasonable, but something I can agree with. I do not feel they need a nerf though. There are several things that are OP in the game but do not need nerfed.

hmm, I can beat thieves consistently, as well as most anyone else I know. Including other thieves. Shouldn’t you learn to play like the rest of us?

Its like monty python chasing a thief around. How can anyone take this game seriously if these glaring imbalances and broken mechanics are still in effect months into the game? The fixes are simple and easy.

You mean you are like monty python chasing a thief around. Though I see it more of a keystone cop situation. But that is do to your lack of understanding about the situation, and not the professions fault.

PM me in game. Jump on your thief and we will go to a personal arena and test this theory. If stealth is so easy to abuse, I am sure you will kick my tail all over the place right?

Now i would like to repeat that I feel stealth is OP, but your not even being reasonable and definitely not honest in my opinion. You are claiming things as not possible that I literally see occur on a daily bases.

this is quote from the forum player from 2012-2014, not me.

reason i put here is show that i not “make” claim about thief no challenge class. When i experience problem with a class; i like read past history to find if same problem was there. So i did with thief class and find same problem, even when guild wars 2 release 2012 to 2014;now. I want find out why thief class was not challenge class and other player in forum say same, that is all. (thief class is not only problem class in wvw but use thief class as important example).

I am 1 month from guild wars 2 and find this problem very sad and not fun because it is old problem and never fix. 2 years problem is not fun and not ok for other player and new player who want fun for challenge in wvw.

why make hard for other player who want challenge?
why make hard for other player not have fun?

Ankur

Game Over!

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

this is quote from the forum player from 2012-2014, not me.

reason i put here is show that i not “make” claim about thief no challenge class. When i experience problem with a class; i like read past history to find if same problem was there. So i did with thief class and find same problem, even when guild wars 2 release 2012 to 2014;now. I want find out why thief class was not challenge class and other player in forum say same, that is all. (thief class is not only problem class in wvw but use thief class as important example).

I am 1 month from guild wars 2 and find this problem very sad and not fun because it is old problem and never fix. 2 years problem is not fun and not ok for other player and new player who want fun for challenge in wvw.

why make hard for other player who want challenge?
why make hard for other player not have fun?

Okay… now go look through all the patch notes and see how many nerfs thieves have taken since 2012. Thieves aren’t unkillable, you know how I know this? Because I kill them everyday on multiple classes.

You say you want a challenge but all you are doing is calling for nerfs to a class that is giving you a hard time instead of accepting the challenge in front of you and learning how to beat them.

If you really think thieves are OP then whisper me in game and 1v1 me. You bring a thief and I’ll play whatever profession you want me to.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN