Gliding and Territories in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: MadameS.3582

MadameS.3582

Dear anet can you please stop kittening up wvw. People like it just the way it is right now. When you guys look back at the release of the desert bl map. Was that a great succes? No. But u guys kittened up wvw then and this will be the same. Stop putting pve crap into wvw. We the hardcore wvw players dont play pve. So please stop messing up our content. I know for a fact that lost of players will be leaving the game because of these things. They only game back when its back to normaal.

Gliding for wvw is actually going to be super fun, I don’t know how gliding offends you so much, and if someone is running away from you in your territory, they wont exactly be able to glide off, so youll probably have a better chance at catching them than before. Stop crying about something that hasnt even happened yet. xoxo

in WvW

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Finally, I can’t believe that WvW has had this bug for two years. Now, if we can only get the Fractal team to fix it so gliding works there, too.

More seriously: awesome news, thanks for this.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in WvW

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Dear anet can you please stop kittening up wvw. People like it just the way it is right now. When you guys look back at the release of the desert bl map. Was that a great succes? No. But u guys kittened up wvw then and this will be the same. Stop putting pve crap into wvw. We the hardcore wvw players dont play pve. So please stop messing up our content. I know for a fact that lost of players will be leaving the game because of these things. They only game back when its back to normaal.

Gliding for wvw is actually going to be super fun, I don’t know how gliding offends you so much, and if someone is running away from you in your territory, they wont exactly be able to glide off, so youll probably have a better chance at catching them than before. Stop crying about something that hasnt even happened yet. xoxo

Gliding offends because certain people didn’t bother to read the whole post before they started typing.

Ghost Yak

in WvW

MadameS.3582

Hopefully they disabled the bloodstone fen gliding skills lol.

Still means smc will be brutal to defend… Need to watch out for third-floor smc drop veil bombs now as well.

Still very stupid, however. Corner someone into top floor garri while you siege it and they can just jump off a cliff to ooc glide and re-enter through various gaps. So much mesmer abuse in keeps… The list keeps on going.

The combat and balance alone is already laughably bad. The matchmaking process is poor. Now we have broken fight and territory mechanics to boot.

When has using your skills while youre gliding ever been a thing? Never lmao, if you’re fighting an enemy zerg in your keep, they cant glide away or glide back in, all of your points are incorrect, don’t knock it till you try it ok thx

in WvW

MadameS.3582

Gliding offends because certain people didn’t bother to read the whole post before they started typing.

Lmaoooo

in WvW

Posted by: HatSimulator.9362

HatSimulator.9362

hey uh anet, is this it? Is this the only WvW changes we get for the expac? or is there more?

Gates of Madness [DUI]
Main Warrior | Every other class at 80
I only play WvW

in WvW

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Perfect. Just what I wanted. Territories marked in the map, and gliding.

Specially Territories. There’s tons of cool stuff that can be done to improve WvW when we have territories clearly delimited. Like making Outnumbered work per Territory, and what seems to be already in place to an extent: Making Objective Auras work within the entire territory.

And remember, gliding ONLY works in your own territory. Don’t like enemies gliding? Take over the territory. I hope the test works well. I can’t wait to shoot off some ducks out of the air. That will be fun.

So it seems this djinn lamp I found actually works! Just look at that. I wish for 2 things, and there it goes.

If gliding actually stays, next I’m going to wish for a test for mounts to work without controlled Territories.

If that works, I’m then I’m going to wish for Shrines to be added to alpine so we can unlock jump pads to travel faster between the camps at the north and the sides when all 3 are controlled.

And after that, time to wish for a third borderlands map with a theme inspired in Cantha, with the Citadel being inspired by the City of Kaineng, the east keep being in a lake, inspired by the Jade sea; and the west keep at the top of a cope of giant petrified trees, inspired by Echovald.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in WvW

Posted by: McKenna Berdrow

Previous

McKenna Berdrow

Game Designer

Next

EBG Territories Preview

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Stop freaking out people. They said if they find that it just doesn’t work out they will disable it. Give it a chance first before judging it.

in WvW

Posted by: Cosmos The Cat.2954

Cosmos The Cat.2954

If anyone’s ever played Archeage, gliding in open world pvp was incredibly fun so I look forward to such a feature.

Only problem is, that game sucked kitten

TC Thief
[DIS][STAR]

in WvW

Posted by: Klipso.8653

Klipso.8653

This is awesome!

Death from above!

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

I am cautiously optimistic. It may not address the most pressing concerns in the game, but it may add an additional complexity to attacking and defending objectives. I’ll definitely be in there checking it out (not that I don’t pretty much do wvw everyday already).

SBI

in WvW

Posted by: SgtOVERKILL.4701

SgtOVERKILL.4701

Running around WvW for years and since the past two years since gliding was annoucned, I do not think I’ve ever heard anyone mention the thought of gliding or mention wanting it.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Dear anet can you please stop kittening up wvw. People like it just the way it is right now.

Er no we don’t. These are not the changes to fix the mode but they will make it more fun at least.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

So say Red team is airborn gliding in to safe fire keep, as blue team flips it. So does that mean any Red still in air will fall to possible death ?

An rangers will be welcomed back into zergs lol

You have a few seconds before you will be kicked from your glider.

And my gold is on rangers also still getting kicked from their squad a few seconds after joining.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

EBG Territories Preview

I really wish we could :pogchamp: emoji on this forum.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

MadameS.3582

Running around WvW for years and since the past two years since gliding was annoucned, I do not think I’ve ever heard anyone mention the thought of gliding or mention wanting it.

Remember that it’s just a test, if people don’t end up loving it then it’ll be removed

in WvW

Posted by: starhunter.6015

starhunter.6015

I sense falling damage trait troll builds incoming…

Well I know I may be traiting my Warrior for falling damage !

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

And to think I almost prepaid for PoF today. All I had left was to put in CC info and I decided to wait a few more days, lol.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Posted by: gregor lightbringer.7143

gregor lightbringer.7143

Hello, Mist Warriors!

I am excited to reveal that on August 8th we will be adding Gliding to WvW. The team has been working hard on a way to make gliding in WvW feel fun and fair, and by using our brand new territory system, we believe we finally have come up with a way to accomplish both goals.

Territories

Each objective in WvW now has a territory associated with it, and the ownership of each objective is displayed by map outlines in the color of the owning team. In addition to the map displaying the territory, the WvW score UI now displays the objective of your current territory next to the War Score your team is earning that tick. The objective icon functions the same way it does on the map and clicking it will open the Objective Upgrades panel.

Gliding

Gliding in WvW does not require unlocking gliding through PvE masteries. Instead, you can acquire Gliding by using ability points in the new Heart of Thorns War Gliding Mastery. The War Gliding Mastery is available to those who own Heart of Thorns and allows gliding in territories that your team owns in the Mist War maps: Eternal Battlegrounds, Alpine, and Desert Borderlands. If you enter a territory that you do not own while gliding, you will be kicked from your glider.

We’ve made several map adjustments to the Eternal Battlegrounds, Desert, and Alpine Borderlands maps to better accommodate gliding. Besides map adjustments, we have also replaced Ballista’s fourth skill with an anti-air bolt skill that shoots people out of the air and immobilizes them for a short duration.

It is important to keep in mind that this is a test for gliding in WvW. If we discover with this test that gliding is not appropriate for WvW, we will disable it.

Ability Point Reset

With the August 8th update, we are also adding a new ability point reset vendor, the World Ability Master, to every portal/home keep (team starting area). A free sample ability point reset is available per character so that everyone with ability points can start gliding right away.

This is all I have to say about that.

in WvW

Posted by: animalmother.5940

animalmother.5940

Boo freaking hoo for those crying about this.

Open up your minds. This is great news, things get stale if nothing changes and WvW has barely changed in 5 years. You’re all crying the whole time about about WvW not getting enough attention or changes, and then you cry just because a great PvE feature is added to the game mode?

You all sound like old farts with that fear of change. This sounds great and has incredible potential to add a feature that will greatly improve and refresh the game mode.

in WvW

Posted by: Serenity.6135

Serenity.6135

Open up your minds. This is great news, things get stale if nothing changes and WvW has barely changed in 5 years. You’re all crying the whole time about about WvW not getting enough attention or changes, and then you cry just because a great PvE feature is added to the game mode?

You all sound like old farts with that fear of change. This sounds great and has incredible potential to add a feature that will greatly improve and refresh the game mode.

How exactly will it do that?

in WvW

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

all those vets that dont want gliding in wvw, cheer up!

Because you can still play wvw without gliding.

IN EOTM!!!!!!

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in WvW

MadameS.3582

How exactly will it do that?

By waiting for it to come out and keeping an open mindset about something that people already love being added to a new section of the game, stop crying.

in WvW

HatSimulator.9362

Devs. Please. Is this ALL we are getting other than legendary armor? no different maps or wvw being seperate from pve?

Gates of Madness [DUI]
I only play WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Domi.4106

Domi.4106

“We’ve made several map adjustments to the Eternal Battlegrounds, Desert, and Alpine Borderlands maps to better accommodate gliding. "

Could you elaborate on this, please? Do you mean updrafts? More higher grounds to glide off from or something else? Thanks!

(edited by Domi.4106)

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Sounds like it could shake things up quite a bit. Interesting. Worried that ganks in some areas will be a bit trickier, but that swings both ways.

The territory mechanic looks like it’ll expand to other stuff too. New tactics that use territory? WvW-specific mounts?

A thought; a tower/keep improvement that makes yaks move faster in their territories.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Elcoyote solitaire.9052

Elcoyote solitaire.9052

Big advantage if you own hills, nothing at all for bay. SMC owner will be able to stealth and glide bomb anyone who tries to take the castle. Feels like servers who struggle in WvW will be even more sacked with that new system.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

WvW-specific mounts?

Siege Dolyak!

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Skada.1362

Skada.1362

For oh so long us die hard WvW players have been asking for these things:
1. Fix server/skill lag.
2. Seperate or proper WvW class/skill balancing.

Not gliding, it’s so far from a priority as it comes.

Last update did nothing to improve the gameplay either, it just gave us even more boxes to click and where did those pve players go when they realized it would take some time to farm their shinies?
I guess we should be thankfull for any attention at all but please Anet most of us care about the core issues not fancy stuff a minority was asking for.
You guys created something absolutley beautiful with WvW which was at its absolute best pre-HOT please listen to us veterans.

I am Derpocalypse. WvW is all I care about. Currently on Piken Square EU.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Big advantage if you own hills, nothing at all for bay. SMC owner will be able to stealth and glide bomb anyone who tries to take the castle. Feels like servers who struggle in WvW will be even more sacked with that new system.

You’ll be able to glide from Outer to Inner if you own Bay. This’ll likely mean defending reinforcements have a much easier time getting to Lord.

Also on stealth bombing they might not have the PVE masteries so you won’t be able to dodge for stealth gliding.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

MithranArkanere.8957

Indeed. Alpine has the east high keep, then partial heights in the middle keep. Desert only has real heights in the east keep. Eternal Battlegrounds only has a bit of height in the north keep, then quite some height in Stonemist Castle, but most of the fighting always happens at ground level anyways. Someone gliding away to escape before the keep is taking over will also risk losing the gliding mid-air if it gets captured, only to fall to their deaths if they don’t have enough -fall damage traits or runes.

This feature is more on the lines of the Desert Borderlands and the Desert Air keep effect. It helps moving around within the place while you control it, but it won’t really do much for you in the fights.

[…]
WvW-specific mounts?

Well, we actually have those, in a way. There’s siege golems, the assault rollers no one uses, and the mecha siege devourers in the Edge of the Mists.

They are combat mounts, but unfortunately your character won’t be visible while you ride them.

It’ll be just great if these transformations got upgraded to mounts that show your character.

Same for the the Centaur, Turtle and Dragon banners that can be hard to notice in the battle. If they were changed from being sticks you hold to actually riding a Centaur, a Turtle or a Dragon, that would be epic, as they would show off much more, and help deaeyes target the guys holding those annoying things to snipe them out.

Hm… where’s that magic lamp… I gotta put another wish in my wishlist.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

in WvW

Posted by: Boris Losdindawoods.3098

Boris Losdindawoods.3098

This will be cool. Now, if we could just get golem week back. Puh-lease!!! People in WvW need to lighten up a little.

As for the rest of you, learn to read.

allows gliding in territories that your team owns in the Mist War maps

That seems pretty clear. No big words other than ‘territories’, but that’s in the dictionary.

People will just fly away instead of fighting now

By definition, you can only fly away if you already control that territory. So, while you’re flying away, I’ll be capping your stuff.

anyone can run away from a fight by just gliding away

No, only the people who own that territory can glide away. Feel free to abandon your defense. I doubt the attackers will complain.

If your zerg is about to get *decisively wiped

Since you can’t glide unless you’re defending, go ahead and leave. I’ll be the guy in the cap circle spamming /laugh /wave.

Big water, blast, blast, blast.

in WvW

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

this will be interesting, i look forward to the change, its only within your territory so should be entertaining

My deadeye will be waiting for you when you flying over head and shoot you down like a duck :P this is going to be hilarious.

in WvW

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

This will be cool. Now, if we could just get golem week back. Puh-lease!!! People in WvW need to lighten up a little.

As for the rest of you, learn to read.

allows gliding in territories that your team owns in the Mist War maps

That seems pretty clear. No big words other than ‘territories’, but that’s in the dictionary.

People will just fly away instead of fighting now

By definition, you can only fly away if you already control that territory. So, while you’re flying away, I’ll be capping your stuff.

anyone can run away from a fight by just gliding away

No, only the people who own that territory can glide away. Feel free to abandon your defense. I doubt the attackers will complain.

If your zerg is about to get *decisively wiped

Since you can’t glide unless you’re defending, go ahead and leave. I’ll be the guy in the cap circle spamming /laugh /wave.

WvW isn’t ONLY about owning and taking objectives. Being able to just glide away from a fight kills the fights and punishes the attackers.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

in WvW

Posted by: Boris Losdindawoods.3098

Boris Losdindawoods.3098

…one more thing. If you’re close enough to the objective for the little bar-graph thing to be visible on your screen showing the status of the capture ring, gliding should fail the instant the ring is capped. You had plenty of time to save yourself while it was capping.

Big water, blast, blast, blast.

in WvW

Posted by: Silencer.7614

Silencer.7614

Love the idea and am really looking forward to trying it out.

Any chance we could get a preview of the WvW Gliding Trait line so we know ahead of time what spending points in the line will get us. For example Updrafts, leylines, etc,

in WvW

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

Still no answer on how gliding will interact with being in combat prior to gliding.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

in WvW

Posted by: mrme.5817

mrme.5817

Devs. Please. Is this ALL we are getting other than legendary armor? no different maps or wvw being seperate from pve?

Mike o’ said in the AMA that wvw and pvp updates are not tied to the expac. Which means there is no content for them coming “with” the expansion. It does not mean that there won’t be new content coming.
It’s comical how many people post crap without reading the whole dev post…

in WvW

Posted by: ParaldaWind.4523

ParaldaWind.4523

I don’t really understand why people are complaining.

Adding new features like this into WvW is exactly what the gamemode needs to stay fresh.

I left for years, and have recently come back to the game. Anything that brings people into WvW, even for a minute, is a good change in my book. Excited for this, and any future changes.

I’d also like to note that I love the new communication style. No press conferences, no big streams, just quality content put out at a reasonable interval.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]
Maguuma – youtube.com/pyrogw2

in WvW

Posted by: Amawyn.1925

Amawyn.1925

good change alot of us will love gliding in WvW but while u are at it plz add mount to WvW too.

in WvW

HatSimulator.9362

Mike o’ said in the AMA that wvw and pvp updates are not tied to the expac. Which means there is no content for them coming “with” the expansion. It does not mean that there won’t be new content coming.
It’s comical how many people post crap without reading the whole dev post…

Very aware of this already my dude.

Gates of Madness [DUI]
I only play WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Tiawal.2351

Tiawal.2351

This is a nice surprise. Not the gliding in itself, we will see if that can stay in WvW, but the fact that WvW isn’t completely abandoned. And THAT is great.

We have to be open to change, otherwise we are already dead (not the game is dead, but us). I know that Anet tried some weird things like the golem week and added those no-skill airship & dragon banners, overpowered AC damage to annoy fighters and make them leave this game, and more. We came a long way, and they mostly pushed away those who wanted a fair and competitive, skill based environment. Thus the “hate” has very strong foundation here. We still have to move on and accept those changes that could improve the game mode. Gliding is one of these, albeit further tweaking will be needed maybe.

Territories is great ideea however. This could be the start of moving away from boring “siege wars” to territory capture and holding, encouraging a split up into multiple smaller groups.

WvW became extremely boring lately because the post-HoT meta (WvW needs badly a WvW focused skill balance), pointless k-train or pip-train – instead a competitive scene with consequences. We need a reason to compete and a meta that makes it fun to do it. Even if accommodating different play styles would require a compromise.

Change is good, if it is a good change. Maybe this isn’t, or isn’t enough. Still is great that work is being done and slowly we can start to hope again that WvW will be reborn from the actual post zombie state (because it’s worse than dead, for years now)

A wandering ronin, employed by [ENMA]

in WvW

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Exciting times ahead, WvW needed a new level of spice, and this is kinda spicy, I like it.

in WvW

MithranArkanere.8957

…one more thing. If you’re close enough to the objective for the little bar-graph thing to be visible on your screen showing the status of the capture ring, gliding should fail the instant the ring is capped. You had plenty of time to save yourself while it was capping.

Yeah. Having a timer or anything like that would be unforgivable, even if it just flickers for 2 seconds.

It should definitely be a free fall the moment you lose the territory. It would not be fun at all otherwise.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

in WvW

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

I try to glide every time I run out of spawn. I can’t wait for this. But then, I thought the STUN/FLOT Golem Raid was a blast during Golem Week too.

in WvW

HatSimulator.9362

This is a nice surprise. Not the gliding in itself, we will see if that can stay in WvW, but the fact that WvW isn’t completely abandoned. And THAT is great.

We have to be open to change, otherwise we are already dead (not the game is dead, but us). I know that Anet tried some weird things like the golem week and added those no-skill airship & dragon banners, overpowered AC damage to annoy fighters and make them leave this game, and more. We came a long way, and they mostly pushed away those who wanted a fair and competitive, skill based environment. Thus the “hate” has very strong foundation here. We still have to move on and accept those changes that could improve the game mode. Gliding is one of these, albeit further tweaking will be needed maybe.

Territories is great ideea however. This could be the start of moving away from boring “siege wars” to territory capture and holding, encouraging a split up into multiple smaller groups.

WvW became extremely boring lately because the post-HoT meta (WvW needs badly a WvW focused skill balance), pointless k-train or pip-train – instead a competitive scene with consequences. We need a reason to compete and a meta that makes it fun to do it. Even if accommodating different play styles would require a compromise.

Change is good, if it is a good change. Maybe this isn’t, or isn’t enough. Still is great that work is being done and slowly we can start to hope again that WvW will be reborn from the actual post zombie state (because it’s worse than dead, for years now)

what makes you think territories will make wvw less seige wars and more competitive? I am interested to hear about it because so far my guild and i just think they are to give you the placebo effect of owning land.

Gates of Madness [DUI]
I only play WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Schnuschnu.9857

Schnuschnu.9857

I like the idea, we just need the right gliding skills. Like droping kittens or dolyaks. Now we know what the kittens trained for on the desert borderland.

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

this looks good. it looks like it might be limited enough to be not overpowered but still a fun gimmick/bonus for owning HoT.

just think about how often it would actually give you enough of a leg up to guarantee a “win” in most places and i think youll come up pretty short. primarily because you cant glide in territories that arent yours and cant / get kicked off if you try.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Besides map adjustments, we have also replaced Ballista’s fourth skill with an anti-air bolt skill that shoots people out of the air and immobilizes them for a short duration.

I’ve said this every time it’s brought up: Only if I can shoot you out of the sky and watch you drop like a lead balloon.

Sniff. I feel like I’ve been given a very glorious gift.

It’s going to be spectacular!

Also this thread feels like residents rioting over a change from green jello to yellow jello at a senior’s home. Actually wait to see how it works folks; the sky is falling stuff is such a waste of energy.

L’enfer, c’est les autres