Lower the Rank Requirement for Armor

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

T2 is also ascended no? And it would be more straightforward to craft anyways.

I don’t know. I think the prestiege item is the legendary. But I guess I place a low value on things like that. To me, the 2k armor is the equivalent of a t-shirt that says “I played WvW for 4 years and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!” and I don’t think that’s a bad thing specifically since anything that impacts the game, is found at t2 already.

I personally wouldn’t mind 1000 myself, as that’s when you max out all abilities, which seems like a landmark. It really depends on what they were aiming for.

Indeed it is. You also need to buy T2 in order to buy T3 so earning T3 is essentially just for a skin. Again, those who have passionate arguments about the rank requirement aren’t complaining about not having access to gear (since we have access to the T2 asc armor and asc armor from other game modes).

It’s more a matter of getting that “t-shirt” or just being able to have an emergency go-to if we suddenly need a piece of ascended gear without wanting to craft. After 1+ years in the game mode, I think a player deserves to have that and I think Anet would agree if they would revisit and scrutinize that 2k rank requirement.

But the thing is I am certain that with the new rewards, a few month’s worth of materials will cover crafting. much less for longer time periods. Even if the rank were 1000 or less, that would just never be a factor for me. I mean free gear is always good, don’t get me wrong, but it has to be something that alters my trajectory.

I think there would be more argument if people were forced into an unnatural gaming style, but to me it is just plain rewarding WvW’ers for doing mostly what they were always doing anyways.

And yes I know there’s pip farming or whatnot, but each to their own.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Only 2% of the total population (115k players) of gw2 has rank 2000. The average rank of all players is rank 47. You could craft 3 full sets of legendary armor from raids faster then you could go from rank 0-2000 with no boosters. Please address this Anet.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: PabbyGaul.9682

PabbyGaul.9682

Only 2% of the total population (115k players) of gw2 has rank 2000. The average rank of all players is rank 47. You could craft 3 full sets of legendary armor from raids before you could go from rank 0-2000 with no boosters. Please address this Anet.

Yeah but what percentage are wvw players? If 50% have no rank at all or 0 thats skews the distribution alot to try and make your point.

(edited by PabbyGaul.9682)

in WvW

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

T2 is ascended and has no rankrequirement. It just dont has LEDs. You can be happy now or keep spreading misinformation on purpose to get your will but your posts are flimsy as hell.

I know that and so does anyone else who has spent a few minutes considering what is actually required to achieve the T3 armor. We want the 2k rank requirement lowered, not eliminated; a rank requirement obviously needs to be there for at least the reason of stopping a new player from coming in, spending a couple months (or less) to get fancy skins, then leaving.

How about you actually address my points rather than making accusations without any proof? I came here to make logical arguments for a change that will benefit everyone so you can be a part of that or explain who exactly wouldn’t be benefitting from the changes I suggested.

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Only 2% of the total population (115k players) of gw2 has rank 2000. The average rank of all players is rank 47. You could craft 3 full sets of legendary armor from raids faster then you could go from rank 0-2000 with no boosters. Please address this Anet.

You are looking at that efficiency site. We do not know if that 115K players who registered there are a fair sampling of the overall player population. We do not know what the percentage is. Maybe you can craft 3 sets of legendary, but that doesn’t mean everyone can.

Thank you anet for making a reasonable level requirement. Do not change a thing.

SBI

in WvW

Arcaedus.7290

But the thing is I am certain that with the new rewards, a few month’s worth of materials will cover crafting. much less for longer time periods. Even if the rank were 1000 or less, that would just never be a factor for me. I mean free gear is always good, don’t get me wrong, but it has to be something that alters my trajectory.

I think there would be more argument if people were forced into an unnatural gaming style, but to me it is just plain rewarding WvW’ers for doing mostly what they were always doing anyways.

And yes I know there’s pip farming or whatnot, but each to their own.

You make good points. I’m approaching this from the viewpoint of Anet making a statement to the GW2 population rather than the viewpoint of the affordability (or lack thereof) of the T3 armor. Their statement seems to involve:

• Rank is indicative of server contribution.
  • T3 ascended armor should only effectively be available to those who have dedicated a lot of time to wvw.
  • Those who have dedicated a lot of time to wvw and have thus contributed a lot to their server should at least be at a higher rank than rank 2000.

The first point is true but the correlation is very weak. The second point I mostly agree with. I dislike that it is effectively impossible for a newcomer to achieve it but more important is the fact that wvw players are being rewarded with something prestigious (but not better) for their time put into the game mode.

The third point is what’s flat out wrong. There are other wvw activities that are important to the server that don’t get rewarded nearly as much as commanding, K-training or ppt-ing are. The more someone participates in those activities, the less rank they’re going to earn. Not to mention, historically we have never focused on ranks since past 1000 they never meant anything. Ranks just came in as a function of time for the majority of players.

Given all of this, it’s extremely likely that someone who has (subjectively) contributed a LOT to their server over a long period of time has not achieved rank 2000 and may not even be close. I really can’t imagine the developers thinking all of this through, then deciding “yep, don’t care, rank 2000.”

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

Picking this quote at random as it touches on the subject.

I call total BS on this.

I started doing raids as I was getting bored with the game. It took me a few weeks to figure out wtf it was all about to begin with regarding wings, bosses, what I needed to do, etc. I needed training runs. They are very few and far between.

So I started doing training runs. Got to know some people. Got some experience. Ren better builds and aquired gear with the right stats. Started making contacts. I kept my ears open for guilds looking to recruit. I asked some of the folks I was playing with regularly to keep me in mind. Some of the people that I was playing with swapped servers. No more training there. Many of the folks I play WvW with are pvx players, but most of them have lost interest in raids or their raid groups have fizzled out. I still haven’t been exposed to all the bosses or even successfully killed them. A few months have gone by at this point, and I’ve hit a wall.

I don’t have the LI to join the better groups. There are very few training runs, and I refuse to sit around for hours trying to find one for bosses I haven’t experienced. I am a sometime commander in WvW, so I don’t mind being assertive, so I did start many groups for the bosses I did know. All the while, I was paying attention to the legendary armor requirements. There are many specific things that I need to do. I’ve done most of what I can, but without being exposed and successfully killing some bosses when I need to, I’ll never get legenday armor. And I haven’t even gotten past the first tier of requirements.

To equate WvW armors and backpack with legendary armor is totally preposterous. Getting legendary armor requires luck, teamwork, time, dedication, silver to get the right gear, and playing with a semi decent group. This takes a long time. To get WvW armor, the only thing you need is time. You don’t need to play with anyone. You don’t need to change your build, you don’t need to sit around waiting for a group to teach you. You just play. Sure, you can get things faster doing zerg fighting, but you don’t need to. You can play by yourself or with a group of 50. You’ll still get there. So stop equating this with legendary armor.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Picking this quote at random as it touches on the subject.

I call total BS on this.

I started doing raids as I was getting bored with the game. It took me a few weeks to figure out wtf it was all about to begin with regarding wings, bosses, what I needed to do, etc. I needed training runs. They are very few and far between.

So I started doing training runs. Got to know some people. Got some experience. Ren better builds and aquired gear with the right stats. Started making contacts. I kept my ears open for guilds looking to recruit. I asked some of the folks I was playing with regularly to keep me in mind. Some of the people that I was playing with swapped servers. No more training there. Many of the folks I play WvW with are pvx players, but most of them have lost interest in raids or their raid groups have fizzled out. I still haven’t been exposed to all the bosses or even successfully killed them. A few months have gone by at this point, and I’ve hit a wall.

I don’t have the LI to join the better groups. There are very few training runs, and I refuse to sit around for hours trying to find one for bosses I haven’t experienced. I am a sometime commander in WvW, so I don’t mind being assertive, so I did start many groups for the bosses I did know. All the while, I was paying attention to the legendary armor requirements. There are many specific things that I need to do. I’ve done most of what I can, but without being exposed and successfully killing some bosses when I need to, I’ll never get legenday armor. And I haven’t even gotten past the first tier of requirements.

To equate WvW armors and backpack with legendary armor is totally preposterous. Getting legendary armor requires luck, teamwork, time, dedication, silver to get the right gear, and playing with a semi decent group. This takes a long time. To get WvW armor, the only thing you need is time. You don’t need to play with anyone. You don’t need to change your build, you don’t need to sit around waiting for a group to teach you. You just play. Sure, you can get things faster doing zerg fighting, but you don’t need to. You can play by yourself or with a group of 50. You’ll still get there. So stop equating this with legendary armor.

Why is it bs? Legendary armor is an item just like wvw tier 3 armor and I’m talking about the time it takes to acquire it. It takes about 1 1/2 to 2 years to go from rank 0-2000 with no boosters. It’s easily feasible that you could craft 3 full sets of legendary armor in the same or less amount of time then it would take to hit rank 2000 to acquire this one piece of ascended armor. Seems very out of balance to me.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Nothing to address. I hit 2000 today. I’ve been playing WvW for about three years. I made 100 ranks using boosters from June 6 to June 13. So if I had been working at ranking, I’d have done it in about 20 weeks, or four months. I spent a lot of that time in small groups, seizing an objective and waiting for people to come to fight for it in non-NA-Prime hours. So if you really wanted it faster, you could have done more rank worthy things by joining larger groups in your server’s prime time.

As far as boosters, I’ve never purchased one and I’ve often considered deleting them because i had so many. But with the ability to convert rewards boosters to the booster of your choice and Gold-to-Gem transactions, it really isn’t like boosters are a hardship to attain .

As noted above, the average player is not the average WvW player. At rank 1995, the rank I was at when GW2 Efficiency did its last scan, I was the 3,314 ranked person in the database for WvW rank.

Also, GW2 Efficency lists 49 as the Median for 112,041 accounts, but a Mean of 282. But using either, considering the distribution of ranks by total playtime, is so inaccurate a measure of the difficulty of reaching WvW player ranks as to be disingenuous.

WvW is a time-oriented endeavor. It runs 24/7 for a week at a time, and performance week-to-week matters. There are plenty of opportunities for achievements and rewards that can be knocked out quickly. It doesn’t seem unreasonable to have something earned by putting in time reflective of the aspect of the game mode which requires a commitment of significant time.

Attachments:

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Nothing to address. I hit 2000 today. I’ve been playing WvW for about three years.

Your proving my point, it took you 3 years to get rank 2K. This grind is too much for one item for people just starting out.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Thelgar.7214

Nothing to address. I hit 2000 today. I’ve been playing WvW for about three years.

Your proving my point, it took you 3 years to get rank 2K. This grind is too much for one item for people just starting out.

No, read the whole post. I got 100 ranks in a week. If you want rank, you can get rank. Your selective attempts to justify lowering the requirement are the reason I posted, they’re disingenuous. Which you proved by selectively quoting my post and claiming it supported your point.

in WvW

Arcaedus.7290

So if I had been working at ranking, I’d have done it in about 20 weeks, or four months. I spent a lot of that time in small groups, seizing an objective and waiting for people to come to fight for it in non-NA-Prime hours. So if you really wanted it faster, you could have done more rank worthy things by joining larger groups in your server’s prime time.

Yeah this is true for all of us who aren’t rank 2000 but as has been pointed out before, no one has really focused on grinding out wvw ranks past rank 1000 since there was never any incentive.

Upon releasing time-gated wvw gear, Anet should have more carefully considered what rank most veterans would be at and pick a number very close to this. This really depends on how Anet defines “veteran” or what they think should have been accomplished by a player who has dedicated a lot of time to the game mode but as of the release of this feature pack, I think rank 2000 is high-balling it.

in WvW

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Ultimately, the largest flaw of the PvE Legendary armor comparison (that PvE should be enraged about but are not) is why wasn’t PvE Raid Legendary armor harder to get?

Why won’t my legendary armor be comparable to the prestige that WvW players have after 4+ years and a minimum of r2000 to use?

Why didn’t it take Raids at least 1-1/2 to 2 years of weekly play to acquire?

in WvW

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

Ppl wants to get the last armor just logging in to wvw to make dailies and log off lol.

2k It’s very generous, much more than a lot of HoT grind to certain achievs. Considering that it is the last armor. The visual effects of mistforged tier are slightly less than the legendary, at a much lower cost.

in WvW

PabbyGaul.9682

#notyourpvecandy

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

Someone said it correctly earlier. These types of rewards aren’t designed for people who are just starting out. The people who are just starting out already have rewards that will be quickly available to them.

ANET specifically designed those higher ranking items with higher ranking people in mind. They knew very well that people just starting out wouldn’t be able to obtain them, and that is by design. This should not be that hard to understand.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Posted by: Sylvyn.4750

Sylvyn.4750

Ultimately, I’m betting that most PvErs and returning WvWers are in WvW now for the backpack…it’s the only thing that makes sense for most people to try to acquire and has the best skin, too. Then, after they’ve left, we’ll be back to the usual slower pace of WvW and ranks will not climb as fast as they are now.

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

#notyourpvecandy

We get it u keep saying the same thing over and over without contributing. You already have rank 2000 why bother going on forums to prevent others from getting it? How petty can you be. The fact that you think you deserve this armor and that others should grind a ridiculous amount of hours into a game mode is entitlement. You aren’t entitled to it just because you happen to have a rank which previously got you nothing. the rank gain was previously exploited, which heavily cheapened it’s value further.

How lucky for you that you just happened to do the one random and completely irrelevant thing the devs picked to gate these rewards behind. I guarantee if you hadn’t hit rank 2000 for whatever reason, and you were rank 500-1000 you would be right here complaining about it with the rest of us. Have a little empathy and put yourself in others shoes, it’s a game it’s supposed to be fun and not unreasonably grindy to the point where it feels like a job.

aka. “The Complainer”

(edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108)

in WvW

Posted by: schloumou.3982

schloumou.3982

I allways laughed at AP hunters and told them AP mean nothing but then I found out there is a Radiant Chestpiece Skin which I like. Do you guys know how long it would take to get 30k AP? I have spend the last years in all gamemodes so I really think I deserve all the skins in the game. Pls lower the requirement to 2k ap because that can be done by new players in a reasonable amount of time.

in WvW

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

1500-2k to me is reasonable, any lower is begging. Get off the easy train.

in WvW

Posted by: MadBomber.3719

MadBomber.3719

agree i think 1500 would be reasonable

shit guardian on maguuma

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

I allways laughed at AP hunters and told them AP mean nothing but then I found out there is a Radiant Chestpiece Skin which I like. Do you guys know how long it would take to get 30k AP? I have spend the last years in all gamemodes so I really think I deserve all the skins in the game. Pls lower the requirement to 2k ap because that can be done by new players in a reasonable amount of time.

your argument would be right on point if there had been a previous way to earn 20k-50k achievement points in less then a month and then anet patched it so others couldn’t do that anymore, yet allowed those who hit rank 20k-50k achieves keep their points. Then you would be spot on.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Thelgar.7214

agree i think 1500 would be reasonable

1500-2k is the way it is set up now:

Gloves: 1500
Boots: 1600
Shoulders: 1700
Head: 1800
Legs: 1900
Chest: 2000

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

Why do you want T3 armor?

just aesthetics, it looks cool. I almost wouldn’t mind getting rank 2k to get it, if getting such a high rank was skill based in some way. it just feels like pure grind.

What is considered “skill based” in this game when referring to things outside of WvW?

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

in WvW

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

It still amazes me that people justify the length of getting T3 ascended armor as OK compared to legendary armor. To each their own.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in WvW

Posted by: Dane.9480

Dane.9480

I think you should have all WvW archievment to get the T3 armor ( Maybe exept Ultimate Dominator).

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

just aesthetics, it looks cool. I almost wouldn’t mind getting rank 2k to get it, if getting such a high rank was skill based in some way. it just feels like pure grind.

What is considered “skill based” in this game when referring to things outside of WvW?

For pve I would say partially raids although they become predictable after awhile. I would also consider jumping puzzles skill based If you only had so much time to complete them and they possibly changed shape in real time.

I’d consider spvp to be skill based in that individual skill shines through especially when someone 1v3s a point. I would consider high level team coordination skill like when they did esl tournaments.

In wvw I would consider some zerg vs zerg fights skill based especially when a much smaller zerg beats a larger one.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Indeed it is. You also need to buy T2 in order to buy T3 so earning T3 is essentially just for a skin.

It’s not just a skin, it’s ascended armor.

in WvW

Arcaedus.7290

Indeed it is. You also need to buy T2 in order to buy T3 so earning T3 is essentially just for a skin.

It’s not just a skin, it’s ascended armor.

So is T2 which is vastly more accessible than T3. A lot of people who are complaining about T3 armor don’t realize that they’re going to have a full set (or at least one piece) of ascended armor well before they get to T3 armor. People who go on to buy T3 armor are either

A. doing it for the skin

B. Purchasing it with saved up tickets if they suddenly need an ascended piece of armor.

Point B was addressed by ArchonWing nicely earlier; by the time you earn enough tickets for a piece, you’ll likely have significant materials stored up from your play-time that you could just craft a piece of ascended armor. Better to save tickets now for future rewards, the backpiece or skins you are actually interested in.

in WvW

Arcaedus.7290

Nice try but this is once again a strawman argument. There are some very key differences such that you can’t draw a parallel like that:

The rewards for AP achievement chests have been present since the beginning of the game (as far as I’m aware). There has and always will be an incentive to AP hunt and also methods to expedite AP hunting that aren’t dependent upon other players.

Rewards for World XP have not been present until recently. There has never been incentive to AP hunt and this meter only applies to wvw, not all game modes. There are ways to expedite wxp gain but even still it is greatly dependent upon your and your server’s performance in wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

For pve I would say partially raids although they become predictable after awhile. I would also consider jumping puzzles skill based If you only had so much time to complete them and they possibly changed shape in real time.

I’d consider spvp to be skill based in that individual skill shines through especially when someone 1v3s a point. I would consider high level team coordination skill like when they did esl tournaments.

In wvw I would consider some zerg vs zerg fights skill based especially when a much smaller zerg beats a larger one.

I would say then try to engage in whatever you consider skill based in WvW, but be aware that this non-subscription game is a grind. Even if it takes “skill.” And that’s okay if you hate subscriptions. ANET won’t be able to change that anytime soon unfortunately.

Otherwise you can ask ANET to shill out the skins on the gem store (and I’d be okay with that if it’s made clear it can be earned in WvW with effort). It’s a company. It needs money to run, and upkeep this game after all.

Bluntly, I am okay with the capped tickets. I am okay with 2000 rank requirements. I am not okay with it taking 20+ hours to cap the tickets (even with my current 4000 ish rank). Unless of course you abuse the system to afk repair walls on an “outnumbered” map. Which isn’t skillful obviously.

In comparison, for raids it takes 3ish hours to cap Magnetite Shards or w.e. they’re called. This inconsistency triggers me more than all the pointless posturing in the pages of this thread.

Toodles.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

in WvW

schloumou.3982

Nice try but this is once again a strawman argument. There are some very key differences such that you can’t draw a parallel like that:

The rewards for AP achievement chests have been present since the beginning of the game (as far as I’m aware). There has and always will be an incentive to AP hunt and also methods to expedite AP hunting that aren’t dependent upon other players.

Rewards for World XP have not been present until recently. There has never been incentive to AP hunt and this meter only applies to wvw, not all game modes. There are ways to expedite wxp gain but even still it is greatly dependent upon your and your server’s performance in wvw.

Yeah you keep accusing me of that and it makes me wonder if you actually know what that means. I specifically referred to your points beeing negligence of certain playstyles, availability of ascended armor without rankrequirement and absence of negative impact of lower rank requirement. You on the other hand keep ignoring arguments like devaluation of skins by making them less rare, generalization of high ranks as eotmfarmers, accessibility of equal unique skins for lower ranks in two versions aswell as ascended gear without rank requirements. The “I said 1500? I meant 1000 because most vets i know are about that rank”-point was ignored by me because you cant base an argument on a subjective felt number. The only ones with the acurate numbers are Anet which chose the actual rank to ensure a certain rarity.
Now please explain to me how your last post supports your general position because i fail to see how the incentive to reach a righ rank alters the achievement.

(edited by schloumou.3982)

in WvW

Posted by: Najten.2418

Najten.2418

No, read the whole post. I got 100 ranks in a week. If you want rank, you can get rank. Your selective attempts to justify lowering the requirement are the reason I posted, they’re disingenuous. Which you proved by selectively quoting my post and claiming it supported your point.

Yes 100 ranks, in 7 days. With boosters. +160% WvW rank then? So without any boosters you would’ve gotten 38.5 ranks in that week for the exact same ammount of work you put in. At that pace rank 0 to 2000 would take you 52 weeks..

But then if you’re running around defending camps from roamers, or sieging up a keep, or scouting, or do those other important but severely underrewarded things you can do in WvW, you don’t get those 38 ranks in a week unless you put in a LOT of hours. Took me over 2.5 hours to gain 2 ranks tonight.. If I look at this matchup (so over 4 days) I’ve averaged less than 1 rank / hour. 28 ranks in 33 hours to be exact. All comes down to what job you perform for your server. Would be nice if people doing the crappy jobs also got rewarded by WvW XP but they don’t as things are now.. xP

in WvW

PabbyGaul.9682

The deaf contribute plenty to wvw we have in our guild and they do fine. We all know theyre deaf. FIND a wvw guild! Solve your problems. Pugmander tags arent going to care about your problems mor will anet. If you really want to enjoy wvw thats what I suggest. Become a part of the community rather tthan the crazy troll in map chat/forums.

in WvW

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

Dear Eater of peeps, my guess is that being a pugmander in Blackgate and all, the tag probably had alot of things to look at and was too busy to look into your deafness as a consideration to let you into the squad. For all we know, he might have just dismissed you as a troll or simply not believe you because he didn’t know you.

Edit: Isn’t this another thread with a different topic?

gaem not made for mi
===========

in WvW

Arcaedus.7290

Yeah you keep accusing me of that and it makes me wonder if you actually know what that means. I specifically referred to your points beeing negligence of certain playstyles, availability of ascended armor without rankrequirement and absence of negative impact of lower rank requirement. You on the other hand keep ignoring arguments like devaluation of skins by making them less rare, generalization of high ranks as eotmfarmers, accessibility of equal unique skins for lower ranks in two versions aswell as ascended gear without rank requirements. The “I said 1500? I meant 1000 because most vets i know are about that rank”-point was ignored by me because you cant base an argument on a subjective felt number. The only ones with the acurate numbers are Anet which chose the actual rank to ensure a certain rarity.
Now please explain to me how your last post supports your general position because i fail to see how the incentive to reach a righ rank alters the achievement.

The reason I say 1000 to 1500 is because the way T3 armor currently is gated, you need rank 1500 (starting at gloves) ramping up to 2000 (for chest piece). There is no way they would change the ramp down to 500-1000. Personally I’d prefer a smaller ramp and having all pieces attainable at near 1000 rank but a 1000 to 1500 ramp makes the most sense while still being fair: rank 1000 shows you have poured in a large mount of time to wvw and have contributed to your server and the extra 500 rank shows that you have gone above and beyond.

Devaluing the skins by decreasing rarity? Right. I’m sure the ENORMOUS amount of players with 2k+ rank would be oh so offended to see a casual wvw fairweather scrub of rank 1000 to 1500 with T3 ascended armor.

I thought so on that last point. And you know; it may be subjective but ask around a bit and you’ll find my perception to hold fairly true. I didn’t just start rage posting here, I talked with guildies and fellow wvwers to see if maybe all these 2.5 years, I had been doing it wrong when it came to ranks… and no, I haven’t. So many others are in just as bad if not a worse off boat than mine

It’s true, Anet does have the data and purposely made the decision to place the rank requirement at 2000 but I think that was still done with a poor grasp of how trivial/unimportant rank is and how difficult it is to increase one’s rank. What they failed to grasp is that there are a large amount of players who have put in hours every night for 1-2+ years into playing wvw yet still fall into the 700 to 1500 wvw rank range.

These players should definitely have stood to benefit from the feature pack. My argument is to lower the rank requirement to a more reasonable rank, not gut it and not eliminate it. It’s not like this would at all devalue the time that those with 2k+ rank have put into the game. People who have out a lot of time and effort into wvw deserve to be able to buy presitigous wvw armor. This is something that I think everyone agrees on. What we don’t agree on is what rank constitutes “lot of time and effort.”

in WvW

Thelgar.7214

Yes 100 ranks, in 7 days. With boosters. +160% WvW rank then? So without any boosters you would’ve gotten 38.5 ranks in that week for the exact same ammount of work you put in. At that pace rank 0 to 2000 would take you 52 weeks..

But then if you’re running around defending camps from roamers, or sieging up a keep, or scouting, or do those other important but severely underrewarded things you can do in WvW, you don’t get those 38 ranks in a week unless you put in a LOT of hours. Took me over 2.5 hours to gain 2 ranks tonight.. If I look at this matchup (so over 4 days) I’ve averaged less than 1 rank / hour. 28 ranks in 33 hours to be exact. All comes down to what job you perform for your server. Would be nice if people doing the crappy jobs also got rewarded by WvW XP but they don’t as things are now.. xP

If you limit yourself to only participating in a small portion of the game mode, you should expect to be limited in the extent to which you earn rewards in the game mode. I was defending camps from roamers, sieging keeps and towers and performing various other unrewarding tasks along the way. I just do other things too.

If you only perform limited functions, you get limited rewards. And even there, there is a mechanism to get rewards for things like scouting and sieging – shared participation. And I’ve never bothered with that and still got by.

Boosters are easy to get. Anet hands them out like candy. I didn’t bother to even use the guild hall bonus, saving it for the reward track instead. There is no way that you would maintain 0 to 2000 without boosters unless your’e doing it deliberately. Even a new player (who, by the way, has a head start compared to leveling and rewards compared to veteran players) would increase his leveling over time with accumulated boosters. And veteran players have a crapton of them, unless they used them for other things. And complaining about that is like complaining because you spent gold on things that were previously available and not want something just released.

in WvW

Posted by: Shazmataz.1423

Shazmataz.1423

You aren’t entitled to it just because you happen to have a rank which previously got you nothing. the rank gain was previously exploited, which heavily cheapened it’s value further.

I’m tired of seeing you say over and over that people over the 2k rank gained that rank by exploitation. I am at 2.5k and I didn’t gain much of that in EOTM. I hate the place.
One of my friends has Ultimate Dominator….and it didn’t come from EOTM so please stop saying this kind of thing. Sure, it suits your argument but it is not as true as you make it out to be. And why shouldn’t rank have it’s rewards??

My rank means that I have played wvw cos I love it. I will continue to play it and earn reward as a by product of my enjoyment.

If the new armour and it’s requirements are too high for you then maybe it’s just not for you. Everyone makes choices in this game about the amount of work that is worth the reward. I have several legendary weapons….I chose to grind for those and didn’t complain about requirements. Good stuff isn’t easily won and nor should it be.

Wvw has never been a place for easy shinies so why should that change cos you want the newest latest shiny….and you want it now.

Anet has set the bar and I hope they stick with it.

in WvW

Posted by: Jong.5937

Jong.5937

I think you should have all WvW archievment to get the T3 armor ( Maybe exept Ultimate Dominator).

My view is both armor requirements and Pip bonus should be based off the number of WvW AP points and not rank.

AP points are not a perfect measure either, but at least it gives reasonable credit to roamers and defenders as well as zerg runners. WvW rank is totally devalued as a measure of WvW commitment. Many ranks were grinded in EoTM, pre-nerf, it still favors blob-play over other time spent in WvW and can be “boosted”.

Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Making the rewards easier in WvW, or EotM, has been shown to not grow the WvW player base, which is more important than the length of time it takes anyone to get all the shinies. The rewards in EotM made players turn a PvP map into a PvD map.

I’ve criticized Anet’s decisions with respect to WvW in the past but I’ve got the give them credit for this. They nailed it.

I’ll deal with all the new commanders that don’t know how to command.
I’ll deal with the players attacking camp supervisors and tower/keep lords with RI.
I’ll deal with the players bringing less efficient builds/gear/classes.
I’ll deal with players not knowing how to give a scouting report.
I’ll deal with players not on teamspeak.

Because if they stay long enough, for the shinies, they will learn how to play WvW, and when they do I will fight beside them and we will become friends and we will have a great time playing WvW week after week and month after month and if/when they leave WvW we will tell stories about them like we were Norn and I will miss them.

WvW rewards: Come for the skins, stay for the fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Shazmataz.1423

Shazmataz.1423

Good comment Swamurabi

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Making the rewards easier in WvW, or EotM, has been shown to not grow the WvW player base, which is more important than the length of time it takes anyone to get all the shinies. The rewards in EotM made players turn a PvP map into a PvD map.

I’ve criticized Anet’s decisions with respect to WvW in the past but I’ve got the give them credit for this. They nailed it.

I’ll deal with the players attacking camp supervisors and tower/keep lords with RI.

Because if they stay long enough, for the shinies, they will learn how to play WvW, and when they do I will fight beside them and we will become friends and we will have a great time playing WvW week after week and month after month and if/when they leave WvW we will tell stories about them like we were Norn and I will miss them.

We need to frame this and sticky it to the top of the forum.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

We need to frame this and sticky it to the top of the forum.

Well I disagree I feel like gaining wvw rank is completely counter intuitive to most wvw play. Half the time in wvw is spent repairing walls or standing around or defending structures or losing zerg vs zergs or running places only to flee. Whenever this type of behavior occur, some of which is important to maintain 1st place under the new pip system, very little wvw ranks are gained. As someone who needs ranks I pop lots of boosters and it’s very frustrating doing this type of wvw (which is normal wvw to maintain higher PPTs) as I stand there and get no rank ups and watch boosters tick away.

When asked if anyone on any map is going karma train I am met with severe hostility from the wvw community too the point of it becoming lord of the flies. I am a veteran player, and I understand all the reasons everyone is doing these things. They want pips, they already have r 2000 so they don’t care, this is how wvw is played, this is not karma train. If u want K train be a commander yourself- which results in people criticizing you for not wvwing and maintaining PPTs. If I suggest they give pips in eotm where I can K train they say no pips in eotm, only pips in real wvw and on and on.

Now imagine if you were a new player, wanting to get r 2000 and saw all of this. I don’t think too many would be inclined to stick around. Again I think r 1K is the compromise. Personally I think it would be better to just get rid of the rank req on all items and have it be based on tickets, and instead give everyone who is r 2000 right now a unique item that can’t be obtained after its given out as a 1 time gift and be done with it.

It’s also very lame that someone with a high a rank as mine needs to stick around till r2000 to “learn how to play wvw” I’ve already mastered it a long time ago. Only takes about 50 hrs to really get a firm understanding of the game mode unless ur commanding and saying I need 2000 hrs to do that is absurd.

aka. “The Complainer”

(edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108)

in WvW

Swamurabi.7890

Does shared participation give WxP?

If it does than that’s your answer.
If not you don’t sound happy on your server.

Nobody is forcing you to spend half your time inside walls.

If you aren’t happy on your server you might consider switching.

in WvW

schloumou.3982

Well I disagree I feel like gaining wvw rank is completely counter intuitive to most wvw play. Half the time in wvw is spent repairing walls or standing around or defending structures or losing zerg vs zergs or running places only to flee. Whenever this type of behavior occurs which is important to maintain 1st place under the new pip system, very little wvw ranks are gained..

If only repairing walls would give wxp…Yes it is very important to lose zergfights to maintain the first place. Do you happen to play on Drakkar? Because that would explain a lot.
Seriously wining zergfights is the best way to get wxp and the core of wvw.

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Well I disagree I feel like gaining wvw rank is completely counter intuitive to most wvw play. Half the time in wvw is spent repairing walls or standing around or defending structures or losing zerg vs zergs or running places only to flee. Whenever this type of behavior occurs which is important to maintain 1st place under the new pip system, very little wvw ranks are gained..

If only repairing walls would give wxp…Yes it is very important to lose zergfights to maintain the first place. Do you happen to play on Drakkar? Because that would explain a lot.

I play on blackgate since launch.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Swamurabi.7890

Don’t tell my you spend all your time in SMC?

in WvW

Posted by: Najten.2418

Najten.2418

They do, but running from whatever broken wall you have to the nearest capped camp is
1) risky as you might get killed on the way by a group of roaming thieves or run over by the enemy zerg.
2) too time consuming for it to be a viable way to earn WxP.
Result? Grab the nearest supply, which drains the tower/keep/castle. Popular? Nopes.

And yes, zergfights are fun and a great way to earn WxP, it’s just that not everyone can do that or WvW will become EotM with no defense, no scouts, just running from place to place to flip or fight the enemy zerg.

And whoever mentioned it; I don’t know if I get WxP from Shared Participation, cuz so far I’ve never been promoted in any squad I’ve been in when asking..

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Sitting in an objective ‘defending’ and losing ZvZ is not how you win WvW.

Maybe you should move to a server which is more your pace.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

schloumou.3982

@Najten
I know right? Because if you defend or take a structure with a zerg its not a zerg fight. Or is it?

Im sorry that you guys found out that wvw is actually about fighting this late but its fun try it.